1929: "Argument Timing"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hiferator

1929: "Argument Timing"

Postby Hiferator » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:31 pm UTC

Title text: Of course, everyone has their own profile. There are morning arguers, hangry arguers, meal-time arguers, late-night arguers, and people who get in a meta-argument over what their argument timing is, dredge up examples of past arguments, and end up fighting over THOSE again as well.

Scrubs! I got into friendship-ending arguments on ICQ in bed after dinner before it was cool there were smartphones.

(Created with chridd's xkcd thread formatter.)

orthogon

Re: 1929: "Argument Timing"

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:Title text: Of course, everyone has their own profile. There are morning arguers, hangry arguers, meal-time arguers, late-night arguers, and people who get in a meta-argument over what their argument timing is, dredge up examples of past arguments, and end up fighting over THOSE again as well.

As a student, I went Interrailing (~Eurorail) around Europe for a month in a group of six. As a result of the attendant lack of sleep and food as well as the heat and close confinement, there were quite a few arguments. About halfway through I had the great idea of making an "argument matrix", with one traveller's name per row and column, to indicate the pairwise combinations in which we had argued*. The act of making the matrix led to meta-arguments of exactly this sort, as a result of which the finished matrix was significantly denser than when I started it.

Looking back, what I should have done was have each element correspond to the number of arguments, and then calculated the eigenvectors and eigenvalues. I'm not sure what that would have shown, but there might have been a paper in it.

*The matrix was presumably symmetric, (so would have had real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors), and it wouldn't surprise me if there were some nonzero elements on the leading diagonal. I'm pretty sure I argued with myself more than once.

ETA: I'm definitely a hangry arguer.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

Clearly I'm an outlier: I have arguments with a close friend who has trouble sleeping, and I tell her she has to wake me so I can cheer her up in the middle of the night, but she won't do so :P
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

Do people really do stuff in bed after waking up but before getting up? Other than slamming the snooze button on the alarm, that is?

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm UTC

Reka wrote:Do people really do stuff in bed after waking up but before getting up? Other than slamming the snooze button on the alarm, that is?

Yes, yes.. doing stuff in that time and space is definitely a thing :wink:

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:
Reka wrote:Do people really do stuff in bed after waking up but before getting up? Other than slamming the snooze button on the alarm, that is?

It's even better if you have an argument first!

New User

Postby New User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

What are hangry arguers? Is this a rare xkcd typo?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

New User wrote:What are hangry arguers? Is this a rare xkcd typo?

It's a malaportmanteau.

Spoiler:
Hangry = hungry + angry. If you and/or those close to you don't suffer from this, you're lucky.

cct

Postby cct » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:28 pm UTC

The chart seems to be missing all the arguments that start when someone phones and wakes you up an hour after you fall asleep.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:

for example whether to finally get one sorry ass out of bed or sleep a little longer?

algorerhythms

Postby algorerhythms » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

What worries me is there is a non-zero amplitude for arguments after falling asleep. Be careful with your sleep-talking, people!
The nerdy webcomic that I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

algorerhythms wrote:What worries me is there is a non-zero amplitude for arguments after falling asleep. Be careful with your sleep-talking, people!

I've occasionally wondered whether cats ever dream that their acquaintances did something unkind to them and then later harbor a grudge because they think it really happened.

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 am UTC

algorerhythms wrote:What worries me is there is a non-zero amplitude for arguments after falling asleep. Be careful with your sleep-talking, people!

I think it means you sent a message, then fell asleep, and only then your friend read it and got angry. That's why there's a higher chance of it after smartphones than before.

Of course it's also possible that someone doesn't get angry until later. Sometimes something happens that doesn't upset me right away, but then later I'm upset about it. Sort of like how some people think up snappy comebacks later on, I guess.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:29 am UTC

Used to play puzzle and dragons on my phone at that time to collect magic stones and such early on in the day. Once I got Aizen though I just steamrolled through 90% of the content and the rest was too much work for me to bother.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:48 am UTC

I read the news and do crossword puzzles between waking up and getting up. You used to have to get up to get the newspaper first, and even then, newspapers aren't bed-friendly... but now the newspaper arrives in digital format on my smartphone. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”