0446: "In Popular Culture"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

trvsdrlng

Re: In Popular Culture Discussion

Postby trvsdrlng » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:One solution -- or rather, alternative -- that is frequently proposed is an alternate wiki for the popculture stuff. But I'm not sure that would work, either. Wikipedia succeeds because it isn't garbage. A "no rules at all wiki" likely would be mostly garbage. (I'm leaving "garbage" purposely vague. It might include product advertisements, opinions masquerading as fact, fancruft, fan holy wars, fan-fiction, etc.)

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer.

Judge for yourself.
My GPS has a fetishistic relationship with OK State Highway 9.

LafinJack wrote:Never ever let basic physics get in the way of your dreams.

The Hyphenator wrote:Why is it that every time I visit this thread, I'm not wearing pants?

Krofh

Postby Krofh » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

In the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the act of witch-burning is referenced when witches are burned by riotous townsfolk if found, by weighing, to be made of wood.

:D

rougedemonhunter

Postby rougedemonhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Jayne gets his rainstick in episode 3, Our Mrs. Reynolds, not Jaynestown!!! Also, Jaynestown is episode 4!
C'mon man! :D

SwissArmyAnts

Postby SwissArmyAnts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 am UTC

rougedemonhunter wrote:Jayne gets his rainstick in episode 3, Our Mrs. Reynolds, not Jaynestown!!! Also, Jaynestown is episode 4!

Fix'd!

OldSchoolKlingon wrote:I don't think anyone's picked up on another error in this comic- The last note regarding "the 2004 Battlestar Galactica" is inherently flawed- there was no 2004 Battlestar Galactica. The miniseries was in '03 and the series began in '05. Also dissappointed by the previously mentioned flaws (incorrect Firefly citation and lack of sexual innuendo). Hilarious comic nonetheless.

No, it was 2004. Perhaps it wasn't aired until 2005 wherever you are, but it was 2004 nontheless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)
CALVINIST ARGUMENT, a.k.a. TERTULLIAN'S ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

lajp

Postby lajp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am UTC

I believe this
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =224483318
is vaguely what was being described. Except I forgot to mention the title text explicitly and now some wiki admin has gone and protected the article. Damn you clumsy! My attempt at destroying the blogosphere has been foiled again!

denaje

Postby denaje » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 am UTC

SwissArmyAnts wrote:
rougedemonhunter wrote:Jayne gets his rainstick in episode 3, Our Mrs. Reynolds, not Jaynestown!!! Also, Jaynestown is episode 4!

Fix'd!

So does anyone have a copy of the strip before it was fixed? That would be great for a keepsake...

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:35 am UTC

I got into a dispute once with two Puerto Rican editors that insisted that Puerto Rico's article have a "did you know?" section like the one on the front page at the bottom, which I eventually got moved into the site navigational area from the main article.

Another time someone kept trying to spam their website where you could buy their book on Alaskan plane crashes by putting it into the "references" section of the article on Alaskan history, when I knew clearly that it had not been source material at all.

Today someone did some very sneaky vandalism in a list of former #2 agriculture officials in the U.S. by changing it to the name of a deputy secretary of agriculture that only served as a Maryland state official during the same time period. That's why I don't create any more new Wikipedia articles, because I don't have time to watch out for any more of this, and I feel an obligation to watch over the crap I already fingerpainted into their database.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Looks like Randall's admitted his mistake.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Seeing this comic and then the immediate response by some of the fan base I was reminded of an early comic.

http://www.xkcd.com/16/

Though it is interesting to think about how Wikipedia has essentially become an ever growing and evolving encyclopedia. Will there eventually come a point where it contains so much information that situations like this would occur? I know this is entirely in theory, because as time goes on there's also more information to be added. There are several x-wikis out there already, specifically designed for more in-depth articles on certain subjects.

Anyway, if you're really interested in vandalism, take it out here: http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 am UTC

I never liked that if you write an article, and it gets nominated for deletion, the deletionists (they separate themselves into little groups for giggles) tell you to send it to Wikia, as if it being founded by the same person that founded Wikipedia changes that it's a for-profit corporation in contradiction of the type of project you originally intended to donate your work effort toward.

Oh, I spotted "in popular culture" in the article on the Brazilian real today. I was reminded of how Brazilian thieves commented on how their money sure does look gay in that The Simpsons episode.

Nullcline

Postby Nullcline » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:26 am UTC

jaded wrote:Researchers in many fields (anthropology, perhaps?) would find comprehensive "In Popular Culture" sections invaluable, especially in list form the way they are now.

"Sukat, his eyes uncovered!"

I'll get back in my box, now. I just have an overpowering need to reference that episode whenever and wherever possible.
Don't cross me.

radtea

Postby radtea » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

According the blag, Randall was genuinely mistaken regarding the episode with Jayne's rainstick, which means my interpretation of the comic as a good old fashion troll is mistaken. Oops.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

belgianrofliron

Postby belgianrofliron » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Syphon wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%22In_popular_culture%22_articles#.22In_popular_culture.22_articles_in_popular_culture

The definitive one.

This one is much better

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Nullcline wrote:"Sukat, his eyes uncovered!"

"Shaka, when the walls fell."

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Darmok and Jilad at Tenagra. Arms wide!

That was the second or third episode of Star Trek I saw, and it was the first one I enjoyed, because the first time I thought Data was an alien Betazoid, Geordi must be Data because of the funny techno glasses, and other confusion over seeing them in an Earth-identical scene while flipping the channel.

helios

Postby helios » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:28 am UTC

it says that any sections titled "popular culture" will result in an instant block...won't stop me. modern/common usage anyone>?
You think an Inter-continental Ballistic Missile would do more that just 3 damage.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 am UTC

helios wrote:it says that any sections titled "popular culture" will result in an instant block...won't stop me. modern/common usage anyone>?

"Popular culture" sections were an attempt to get around the discouraging of "trivia" sections. Wikipedia editors are encouraged to not let overly restrictive rules get in the way of improving the encyclopedia, meaning that anyone being disruptive is likely to be blocked, whether they use the precise wording or not.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

evaline

Postby evaline » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:55 am UTC

russianspy1234 wrote:
Alt text:Someday the 'in popular culture' section will have its own article with an 'in popular culture' section. It will reference this title-text referencing it, and the blogosphere will implode.

http://xkcd.com/446/

did anyone notice that NO ONE FUFILLED THE TITLE-TEXT?
i've only been reading the comic for a few weeks now, but i'm the first to put it up on wiki. that's kinda ridiculous. get on top of this stuff.

blogosphere implosion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPC

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

evaline wrote:did anyone notice that NO ONE FUFILLED THE TITLE-TEXT?
i've only been reading the comic for a few weeks now, but i'm the first to put it up on wiki.

*sigh*

*facepalm*

No. You're not.

BruinDanny

Re: "In Popular Culture" Discussion

Postby BruinDanny » Wed May 12, 2010 3:04 am UTC

I posted it once again =D
Spoiler:

GBmorris

Re: 0446: "In Popular Culture"

Postby GBmorris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:45 am UTC

More like "In Poplar Culture".

yosemitehalfdome

Postby yosemitehalfdome » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 am UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ar_culture

My life is complete. Time to activate the implosion of the blogosphere.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 am UTC

yosemitehalfdome wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%22In_popular_culture%22_content#In_popular_culture

My life is complete. Time to activate the implosion of the blogosphere.

Hurrah!

I like how this is literally the only thing in the whole section.

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 pm UTC

Where's the "morning wood"?
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm UTC

Go to urban dictionary... it’s what I had to do.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”