2049: "Unfulfilling Toys"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hiferator

2049: "Unfulfilling Toys"

Postby Hiferator » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 pm UTC

Title text: We were going to do a falling-apart Rubik's cube that was just 27 independent blocks stuck together with magnets, but then we realized it was actually really cool and even kind of worked, so we cut that one.

Now I want one of those magnet Rubik's cubes. Thus their non-existence makes them fall in line with the others.

moody7277

Re: 2049: "Unfulfilling Toys"

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm UTC

I hear the rigid slap bracelets are very popular in Catholic schools.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:29 pm UTC

Insert dildo joke here.

*raucous laughter* *applause*
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Insert dildo joke here.

Those are very filling though.

linux2647

Postby linux2647 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:40 pm UTC

No-strings-attached Yo-Yos actually exist and are kind of cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0InwW0V9k

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

The disappointing unfulfilling ones aren't. (That's the joke).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

keldor

Postby keldor » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:55 pm UTC

We had some pump-only supersoakers as kids. The pump didn't actually pressurize anything, but worked like a bicycle pump and directly squirted the water.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:07 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

I... I don't think you're supposed to eat those.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:29 pm UTC

I'm not sure whether a simple set of 27 cubes would work - a lot of the magic of a Rubik's Cube is in the action of scrambling it, which is lost if you have to be careful to keep it together and simulate the constraints the Rubik's Cube enforces automatically.

On the other hand, if there's a way to get a Rubik's Cube with an easier reset than finding someone who knows how to solve one, that would add some value (though lose bragging rights for having a solved one around)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:34 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Flumble wrote:

You haven't been watching the right lesbian fem-dom videos.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:39 pm UTC

How about a pre-assembled, fully glued, LEGO set?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'm not sure whether a simple set of 27 cubes would work - a lot of the magic of a Rubik's Cube is in the action of scrambling it, which is lost if you have to be careful to keep it together and simulate the constraints the Rubik's Cube enforces automatically.

On the other hand, if there's a way to get a Rubik's Cube with an easier reset than finding someone who knows how to solve one, that would add some value (though lose bragging rights for having a solved one around)

Those Rubik’s cubes do exist — my friend has one (though instead of colors, the sides are numbers on dice). You just have to be careful when scrambling it and solving it, but it works great!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:(That's the joke).

Oh hehehe, I was completely oblivious that I repeated the joke. While reading Weeks' reply, I was fully in the mindset of "children's toys", for whom dildos are just useless* toys, making it a far more innocent joke. :oops:

*well, you can always play catch with them, or, if it's one with a suction cup, throwing it against a smooth wall, or use it as a prop in make believe.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:(That's the joke).

Oh hehehe, I was completely oblivious that I repeated the joke. While reading Weeks' reply, I was fully in the mindset of "children's toys", for whom dildos are just useless* toys, making it a far more innocent joke. :oops:

*well, you can always play catch with them, or, if it's one with a suction cup, throwing it against a smooth wall, or use it as a prop in make believe.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Flumble wrote:

Who says it has to be lesbian fem-dom? Men can eat dildos too.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Flumble wrote:

Who says it has to be lesbian fem-dom? Men can eat dildos too.

TIL: There exist dildos either intended for consumption or least non-toxic that are made of a material of sufficiently low density that it can be bitten through and in some manner consumed.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:TIL: There exist dildos either intended for consumption or least non-toxic that are made of a material of sufficiently low density that it can be bitten through and in some manner consumed.
you pinged five people for a half-assed joke

You make me proud

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm UTC

I guess your joke was unfulfilling

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:I'm not sure whether a simple set of 27 cubes would work - a lot of the magic of a Rubik's Cube is in the action of scrambling it, which is lost if you have to be careful to keep it together and simulate the constraints the Rubik's Cube enforces automatically.

Those Rubik’s cubes do exist — my friend has one (though instead of colors, the sides are numbers on dice). You just have to be careful when scrambling it and solving it, but it works great!

Not the best picture but here you go.

WIN_20180921_171658.JPG
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm UTC

my uncle once received a very cheap Rubik's cube.
He started playing with it.
When he continued rotating it, it was getting harder and harder to move.
He started ratating in the opposite direction.
Suddenly it fell apart.

Because, (as he then could see) the cube was held together by six screws.
Rotating clockwise tightened the screws and anticlockwise loosened them.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Flumble wrote:Oh hehehe, I was completely oblivious that I repeated the joke. While reading Weeks' reply, I was fully in the mindset of "children's toys", for whom dildos are just useless* toys, making it a far more innocent joke. :oops:

Please don't Picard my entire message! It makes me very uneasy because I can't tell if I just made an ass out of myself or evoked the intended response. It leaves me, dare I say, unfulfilled. :oops:
Last edited by Flumble on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:

The having to be careful is my point there - it makes it fiddly rather than fun.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:12 am UTC

The (Rubik's-esque, but not licenced under that name) Tetrahedron was the most falling-apartingly iteration, from all the various ones I've had.

Also, given it has nine triangles per side, the three non-corner, non-edge triangles were the "centre" pieces (mechanically), the three corners of each side were just free-wheeling tetrahedra standing out from the last three with no complex freedom of movement other than being 0, 1 or 2/3rds out of alignment, a simple and disconnected twist away from the One True Position at whim. The three edge-pieces were the "transportable" pieces that could/could not agree with the rotations of the rest as you shuffled them around the middle hexagons, and the tolerances of the "gripped by the spinny bits" mouldings were such that they easily popped out. Whether because you wanted to cheat-dis/reassemble or just because you weren't carefully whilst twisting the main axes around.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 am UTC

The cup and ball with ball slightly too large to fit in the cup.
The Jacob's ladder where the blocks are only held by a single ribbon down the middle.
The half-a-hula-hoop.
The three foot long skipping rope.
The all spherical building blocks.
The all cuboid marbles.
The velcro mitts/pads and ball set, with all velcro surfaces having just the velvet part.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:The all spherical building blocks.
The all cuboid marbles.

Which if bought together get you what you presumably wanted after all...

lgw

Postby lgw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:27 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Not the best picture but here you go.

I have to say I'm surprised by the lack of overlap between these forums and cubers. Here's a review of a reasonable-quality magnetic cube - the 3x3 works better than you'd think. There's also a longer Mathologer vid that goes into more detail and has an interview with the guy who makes them.

Cubes with more normal mechanisms, but magnets to help them click into alignment, are a recent trend.

Edit: aren't group theorists required by law and custom to have a cube on their desks at all times?
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 pm UTC

lgw wrote:Edit: aren't group theorists required by law and custom to have a cube on their desks at all times?

Not necessarily a group theorist, but I have two within arms reach...

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:06 am UTC

lgw wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:Not the best picture but here you go.

I have to say I'm surprised by the lack of overlap between these forums and cubers. Here's a review of a reasonable-quality magnetic cube - the 3x3 works better than you'd think. There's also a longer Mathologer vid that goes into more detail and has an interview with the guy who makes them.

Cubes with more normal mechanisms, but magnets to help them click into alignment, are a recent trend.

Edit: aren't group theorists required by law and custom to have a cube on their desks at all times?

That reasonable-quality one is what my friend (who is a cuber) has. It’s not like it falls apart, but you do have to be more careful with it than a regular cube. Plus, turning it isn’t entirely smooth because of the way the magnets are. And I hate the parity that pops up in the centers (but that applies for lots of 3x3 cubes). It’s a neat cube, but it’s certainly not my favorite.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 am UTC

You want fiddly? My brother has a Rubik's Cube he made out of paper! It's fully functional, but very delicate. Not completely unfulfilling, but definitely a case of being more fun to make than to use. (Or so he assures me.)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

keldor

Postby keldor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 am UTC

Showsni wrote:The cup and ball with ball slightly too large to fit in the cup.
The Jacob's ladder where the blocks are only held by a single ribbon down the middle.
The half-a-hula-hoop.
The three foot long skipping rope.
The all spherical building blocks.
The all cuboid marbles.
The velcro mitts/pads and ball set, with all velcro surfaces having just the velvet part.

The cup and ball are just a more challenging type, where you have to keep the ball balanced on the opening of the cup through the catching motion.

The three foot long skipping rope is intended for young kids.

The spherical building blocks and the cuboid marbles are simply misnamed. The proper names are "croquet balls" and "dice" respectively.

The other three I'm not so sure of XD.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 am UTC

keldor wrote:The spherical building blocks and the cuboid marbles are simply misnamed. The proper names are "croquet balls" and "dice" respectively.

Somewhere around here I've got a set of spherical dice. There's some kind of cubical weight inside, in a cavity slightly larger than the cube, so it stops rolling with one of six regions of the spherical surface upwards.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
lgw wrote:Edit: aren't group theorists required by law and custom to have a cube on their desks at all times?

Not necessarily a group theorist, but I have two within arms reach...

Does having two group theorists within arms' reach make you a group-hug theorist?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:You want fiddly? My brother has a Rubik's Cube he made out of paper! It's fully functional, but very delicate. Not completely unfulfilling, but definitely a case of being more fun to make than to use. (Or so he assures me.)

You want even more fiddly? Someone a while back on the Kerbal Space Program forums made a working cube out of stock parts.
I think it has some collider abuse for a bearing and a lot of docking ports.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Somewhere around here I've got a set of spherical dice. There's some kind of cubical weight inside, in a cavity slightly larger than the cube, so it stops rolling with one of six regions of the spherical surface upwards.

I had a pair of those that broke.

The inside has plastic ridges dividing it into six zones, and a small ball bearing to pick one of those buckets and hold the die in place once it stops rolling fast enough to dump the bearing into the next bucket over and over again.

morerokk

Postby morerokk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:11 am UTC

A yoyo without the string attached is by no means "unfulfilling"! There is an entire class of yoyo tricks dedicated to this style (4A), usually called "offstring".

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:How about a pre-assembled, fully glued, LEGO set?

I think the LEGO equivalent would be a set that has no pieces with studs.

So only pieces like these:
ImageImage
And none like these:
ImageImage

Perrin

Postby Perrin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 pm UTC

“Grot has lots of things that aren’t of any use, some of them are red, some of them are green and some of them are puce.”

The Grot shops stock lots of things like this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”