2174: "First News Memory"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

da Doctah

Re: 2174: "First News Memory"

Postby da Doctah » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

I've got some demonstrably false memories too, mostly of watching television shows that were no longer airing in my lifetime. I can clearly recall sitting down with my parents to watch Korla Pandit play the organ, and seeing "The Continental" (the real one with Renzo Cesana, not the spoof on SNL with Christopher Walken) with my grandparents there to make fun of it. And the series "Bachelor Father" and "The Real McCoys", both of which began before I was born and ended when I was only three and four years old respectively, so I couldn't have been as aware of them as my recollections insist.

("The Continental" was also spoofed in a Popeye cartoon made three years before I was but repeated for ages thereafter, where the character was called "The International".)

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm UTC

colonel_hack wrote:1st conspiracy theory: JFK is the antichrist and will come back from his fatal head wound, which I've seen as late as a pamphlet handed to me in a parking lot in the '90s.

I really want that one to be true, just so we can all laugh at a piddly-crap antichrist.

"Dude, it took you over 50 years?"
"Hey, it was a head wound!"
"Yeah, but, come on! The regular Christ took 3 days to come back from the dead."
"There's a timetable to all of this."
"Oh, WOW, how convenient you just mention this now."

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 pm UTC

Wowfunhappy wrote:Wait, so is black hat guy canonically an alien now? This is huge!

Remember Occam's razor

Black hat guy: alien, pathological liar, or just screwing with you because he can ?

Was Black hat guy a teacher in 1995?

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:Black hat guy: alien, pathological liar, or just screwing with you because he can ?

Let's not forget D, all of the above. :mrgreen:
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:51 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:Was Black hat guy a teacher in 1995?

Seems entirely plausible to me.

jgh

Postby jgh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 am UTC

Yea gods, you whipper-snappers (waves newly-acquired walking stick*)

The news remarking that Margaret Thatcher would be the first female prime minister, and I remember thinking: oo, that will be interesting.

*I'm turning more and more into Gregory House every day.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:18 am UTC

Lee Harvey Oswald being shot by Jack Ruby. I was 3-1/2.
My mom left the (B/W) TV on and I was playing in the living room with my Fire Engine. The TV switched to a live(?), or maybe breaking news, feed. I ran and told my mom that the guy who shot the president just got shot. She didn't believe me (fanciful tales of children). I yelled at her to come see. (I never yelled at my parents.) She came, she saw, she shut off the TV and we did something ... I don't remember. I do remember recognizing that "this was important".
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:44 am UTC

The Tylenol Poisoning Scare for me.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:47 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I have a vague memory of asking my Mom if the runner-up (1960) in the election became the Veep, but am not sure about that one.

According to Hamilton, that's how it used to work (although that "convention" was changed after two elections). Maybe it's an idea y'all should bring back?

Given the rule that the VP succeeds any President who dies, resigns, or otherwise does not complete a term of office, having the President and VP being from opposing parties would create a huge perverse incentive for Congress to remove opposing-party sitting Presidents (or for Presidential assassinations). You think Democrats are overeager to impeach Trump now? Image how much more they would be if Trump’s removal from office meant that his term would be completed by a Democrat!

dzamie

Postby dzamie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 am UTC

I've a smattering of memories prior, but my first "news" memory was the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. My first political memory (cuz I was pretty politically unobservant until about 2014 or so) was the Clinton vs Obama race, and more specifically the thought that regardless of winner, it was going to be a first among presidents - it didn't occur to me that a Republican could possibly win after Bush.

Code: Select all

:Clrhome
:while 1
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16),randInt(0,9))
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:End

SadinaSaphrite

Postby SadinaSaphrite » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 am UTC

My first local news memory was (actually) in 1995 when the space shuttle Discovery landed in the SLC Airport, but that was only because we all got to leave class to go watch it. The first news I remember from being on the actual news was Princess Di.
I put the fun back in dysfunctional and the romance back in necromancer!

Evil Midnight Lurker

Postby Evil Midnight Lurker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm UTC

Nixon's resignation speech. I think. I was two years old. It was definitely Nixon on TV?

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 pm UTC

For me, the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember seeing aerial shots of ships on TV, and my parents discussing if we should leave town (we were
in NYC). We didn't.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm UTC

Footage of Scud missiles being launched in the Gulf War. I think I was more aware of it because my mum said the war was the reason The A Team wasn't on, that they were avoiding showing violent shows during a war. I don't think she was right.

radioactiveman

Postby radioactiveman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm UTC

I vaguely recall where I was when JFK was shot. I remember a knoll, quite grassy, somewhere in a major city in Texas. It was quite relaxed, there were bangs, then it got very loud and shouty.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:33 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Footage of Scud missiles being launched in the Gulf War. I think I was more aware of it because my mum said the war was the reason The A Team wasn't on, that they were avoiding showing violent shows during a war. I don't think she was right.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was true. British band Massive Attack briefly shortened their name to just Massive because of the Gulf War. I remember being confused by that, and I still have their first CD, which says Massive on the disc. When emotions run high, people can be sensitive, or worried about other people being sensitive, in ways you wouldn't normally expect.

evergreennightmare

Postby evergreennightmare » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:37 pm UTC

mine would be the 11.08.1999 solar eclipse if that counts as news, or 9/11 if not

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:15 am UTC

I don't get to say this often on this site...actually I don't think I've ever gotten to say it...but I'm feeling very young right now. My dad always watched the 6:30 news religiously (and still does), and my brain is very odd about what it retains, so my first news memory is about protests in Austria over some guy named Haider (sp?). And after that, Nixon's death. Somewhere in there is a b-roll shot of a speed limit sign with the voiceover talking about speed limits of 50 and 55—either referring back to the reductions made during the '70s fuel crisis or talking about a proposal to bring them down again. Or back up? I actually have no idea how long it took before interstate speed limits went back up to 65.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
Mutex wrote:Footage of Scud missiles being launched in the Gulf War. I think I was more aware of it because my mum said the war was the reason The A Team wasn't on, that they were avoiding showing violent shows during a war. I don't think she was right.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was true. British band Massive Attack briefly shortened their name to just Massive because of the Gulf War. I remember being confused by that, and I still have their first CD, which says Massive on the disc. When emotions run high, people can be sensitive, or worried about other people being sensitive, in ways you wouldn't normally expect.

True. Concern about TV violence seems like it was much higher then too, in the UK we renamed "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles". Because that obviously made a huge difference to the content.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:09 pm UTC

Well, the first datable TV news I remember was the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. One thing that I recall being impressed by was the fact that we lived in the Seattle area, and the coronation had been the day before. It wasn't common back in the early 50s for video of news events from the Other Side Of The World to show up that fast. If you wanted breaking news, you had to get it from radio, which by then was often faster than the newspapers.

I also remember having only one TV channel then, and it was a few years after Seattle had got its first TV station. I was puzzled by why it was channel 5, but I couldn't get a sensible explanation from anyone. ;-)

Then after getting out of college, I ended up earning most of my money by writing computer networking software ....

keithl

Postby keithl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:For me, the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember seeing aerial shots of ships on TV, and my parents discussing if we should leave town (we were in NYC). We didn't.

I also remember the televised Kennedy speech about the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was 9 yo; I don't remember the speech itself, but I remember my parents being very frightened. After reading histories of that episode decades later, I realized they should have been even more frightened.

Oliver Sacks lectured in Portland about the failure of early memories. His example was someone who remembered a baseball game radio broadcast interrupted by Roosevelt's Pearl Harbor announcement. No baseball games are broadcast live in December.

I asked Dr. Sacks about his own confabulated memories. He remembered being in his family's backyard bomb shelter during the German bombing of London. Intellectually, he knew that he spent those years evacuated to the countryside, along with thousands of other British children.

I keep that in mind when I read about the traumatic experiences of others, and ponder my own. Not to dismiss them, but to acknowledge that sympathy is about support, not judgement.

radioactiveman

Postby radioactiveman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 pm UTC

jc wrote:I also remember having only one TV channel then, and it was a few years after Seattle had got its first TV station. I was puzzled by why it was channel 5, but I couldn't get a sensible explanation from anyone. ;-)

Most likely because at the time, the transmission was on VHF Channel 5 (76-82MHz in the USA).

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 pm UTC

I am sure I remember the news of the First Gulf War. The images on TV and learning that a friend's father had to leave to fight in that war left an impression.

I also have a fuzzy memory of being in the living room watching a TV news report with my mother and her saying "this is important... this will be in history books" and I think we were seeing the Berlin Wall coming down. However, my memory is only of my mother's reaction and I have no recollection of what the actual news report was saying or showing, so I don't completely trust myself that it was the Berlin Wall and not something else.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 pm UTC

Ranbot wrote:I also have a fuzzy memory of being in the living room watching a TV news report with my mother and her saying "this is important... this will be in history books" and I think we were seeing the Berlin Wall coming down. However, my memory is only of my mother's reaction and I have no recollection of what the actual news report was saying or showing, so I don't completely trust myself that it was the Berlin Wall and not something else.

Strangely, I don't seem to be able to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, even though I was 16 at the time and, I think, fully aware of the wall and its significance. We'd studied the Cold War in History lessons and it must have been all over the TV, radio and newspapers. All I can think was that I was preoccupied with my GCSE exams. I remember other episodes in the downfall of the USSR, but it really bothers me that the flagship event that epitomised the whole period of history barely registered.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 pm UTC

hmm... maybe because you don't remember it being put up in the first place? Maybe you didn't think of it as epitomizing the cold war at the time?

Knocking down the wall was only a part of reuniting Germany, and even that was only a part of ending the cold war.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Codesmith

Postby Codesmith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 pm UTC

My first 'news' memory was the February 1979 North American solar eclipse. I remember the TV weather guy showing an animation and talking about how the birds will roost and stop singing. As a rule I didn't pay much attention to the news as a kid.

Funny thing about the Berlin Wall though: I was on a peacekeeping tour (UNIFICYP) with the Canadian Army when the wall came down, so I only heard about it on shortwave. I have no visual memories of it at all. Somewhat later I got around to seeing all the news clips, but I just remember the BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service) overnight host rambling on about Berlin.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:21 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:hmm... maybe because you don't remember it being put up in the first place? Maybe you didn't think of it as epitomizing the cold war at the time?

Knocking down the wall was only a part of reuniting Germany, and even that was only a part of ending the cold war.

Sure, but the trauma and complexity of reunification were yet to come and I doubt many people had given it much thought in those heady days. And everyone talks about it as though it was absolutely the biggest deal at the time. I'm not sure I'd ever fully understood that Berlin sat deep inside East Germany, even though we had studied the Berlin Airlifts. Maybe it was my limited knowledge of Geography rather than History that made it difficult for me to connect with events in mainland Europe. For some reason the downfall of Ceaușescu made much more of an impression, and I doubt I'd even heard of Romania until that happened.

Too bad I can't go back to my Google calendar and see what I was doing that day...

[ETA] @Codesmith: Now there's a thing. For a lot of my adult life I've got most of my news from the radio - though I watch more TV news now - so my memory of news events is probably different to others'. Maybe back in 1989 my parents (from whom I inherited the habit) and I would have heard the news on Radio 4 rather than seeing it on TV, and it was clearly the visuals that stuck in people's minds. I still think I might just not have been paying attention, though.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:25 pm UTC

jozwa wrote:It's kinda unrelatable to me how people can apparently answer the question without hesitation or having to think about it very hard. The only thing I can remember off the top of my head is 9/11 and I was almost a teen at that point. And I don't even remember the details of where or how I first heard about it.

Whew! I thought there was something wrong with me. After thinking about it for some time I can come up with 2 events, one of them quite odd. So, without further ado, let me blow your mind:

The death of Kim Il-Sung, 1994!

And no, I'm not Korean. I'm from behind the iron curtain but it had fallen already. Still, I guess it was somewhat more prominently featured than in western TV. I was 11 at the time. I clearly remember the piles of flowers and everybody crying and I guess my memories got somewhat exaggerated over time as I found Kim Jong-Un's piles of flowers quite underwhelming when he followed suit and I don't think they've made them much smaller than his father's.

This one is a bit fuzzy in my memories but the thing I do remember very clearly is the 94 world cup - even some specific games in it. What surprised me is that these have been in very close proximity, just a few weeks apart. They are quite compartmentalized in my mind and I would have guessed that they were years apart.
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Oliver Sacks lectured in Portland about the failure of early memories. His example was someone who remembered a baseball game radio broadcast interrupted by Roosevelt's Pearl Harbor announcement. No baseball games are broadcast live in December.

I asked Dr. Sacks about his own confabulated memories. He remembered being in his family's backyard bomb shelter during the German bombing of London. Intellectually, he knew that he spent those years evacuated to the countryside, along with thousands of other British children.

I keep that in mind when I read about the traumatic experiences of others, and ponder my own. Not to dismiss them, but to acknowledge that sympathy is about support, not judgement.

People should talk about this more - everyone is so sure of their own memories, to the point of condemning people to death based on them. My own experience, quite less dramatic compared to this yet emotionally taxing nevertheless, was of my biggest fights with my wife. She insisted that the nanny said she charges X per hour, which I found very hard to believe, not just based on my recollection but also because a) we'd already been paying her X+1 per hour for several months by this point and b) her online profile said X+1. I made the mistake of suggesting that she (my wife) might have misremembered and all hell broke loose. We have an unspoken agreement never to bring the subject again.

If logic contradicts my own memories of an event I always go with the former. Human memory sucks as a storage medium.
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

Canard

Postby Canard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:42 am UTC

I really had to rack my brain for my first news memory - it certainly wasn't something that came to me quickly. Considering I do have some memories that go back to me being just 3 or 4 years old, strangely I can't remember anything News related that happened before I was about 6.

I know that I do have some vague recollection of Charles & Diana getting married, but I can't recall seeing it on TV as it happened, and so I can only assume that my "memories" are therefore probably based on having seen clips of it later on in life and knowing that as I was alive then, therefore I *must* have seen it back then, even though that's probably not correct.

I do know that I remember the Falklands War though - not the actual first reports of the invasion, but certainly news during the conflict itself. And I know these were actual memories from the time, because of a chat I was having with my Dad about casualties - I didn't understand what that word really meant and was quite excited that the news said we only had about one third of the casulaties compared to the Argentinian side (or something like that) and I just regarded it as being like a sports score and that we were winning. When he explained it to me that this meant people who had died, my enthusiasm kind of waned a little to say the least...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”