1179: "ISO 8601"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

webgiant

Re: 1179: "ISO 8601"

Postby webgiant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I guess different formats can serve different purposes, but I never liked DD-MM-YYYY. It might make logical sense, but it is just devoid of practicality.

But for the same reason, YYYY-MM-DD doesn't seem right in everyday use either. I mean, if you don't care about the year – and for most everyday applications, why would you? – you would just write MM-DD. It only makes sense to append additional superfluous information to the right.

This has been my reasoning. Unless you are a regular time traveler and need to make sure you get the year right, you know what year it is, and just need to keep the month and day sorted.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:It seems to me that if those problems could be eradicated, nobody would care too much about the convention for showing North on a map.

The benefit of the convention is that if you look at any map, you don't have to check which way it is oriented. Of course putting south on top would be identical except that it's been like that for ages and with both orientations being identical, there's no benefit in changing it.

I meant that nobody would mind which convention was used, not that we wouldn't need a convention at all: we could use the "North-up" convention without fear of cultural imperialism. I definitely get very confused when a different orientation is used.
yurell wrote:if I'm looking at a map of my house, I'm wasting space if I orient north at the top, since the rectangular house would be put at an angle

I take your point, but would you accept a compromise in which North is within +/-45 degrees of up?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:This has been my reasoning. Unless you are a regular time traveler and need to make sure you get the year right, you know what year it is, and just need to keep the month and day sorted.
The internet is my time machine and all of time and space* is my domain*!

*Limited to, say, 20 years of the past and none of the future. Past-accessibility may vary. No warranties implied or given.

*It's not actually my domain, it also looks like a placeholder page.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
phlip wrote:Oh, no, I wasn't accusing you of having that point of view. Just talking about the point of view where the terms "West" and "East" came from in this context.
But that is not where those terms come from.

Centering the map on Europe is, given the geography of the continents, the only logical way to draw a world map.
Even if that were true, which it isn't, the Eurocentric view *is*, in fact, where that terminology came from (in European languages, mind you), and it predates the widespread use of projected-onto-a-rectangle world maps.

European languages refer to parts Asia with varying degrees of eastness because those parts of Asia are varying distances to the east of where said European languages developed.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 am UTC

OrenT wrote:The ISO8601 includes stuff like skipping the '-' or ':' separators, formats for week dates, ordinal dates and even allows the hour to be 24:00:00(!) :?

Or 23:59:60, for that matter. :)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:
OrenT wrote:The ISO8601 includes stuff like skipping the '-' or ':' separators, formats for week dates, ordinal dates and even allows the hour to be 24:00:00(!) :?

Or 23:59:60, for that matter. :)

That reminds me of the 1 vs. 0.99999999999... discussions. Maybe this could be a good way to explain it to people without having to explain it? Nah, probably not.

servman

Postby servman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

FYI: You can Like it on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Internat ... 1308955783

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Right... you want maps that date from a time where all you have is Europe, Asia and Africa. The Americas and Australia didn't exist yet. And Africa didn't really count, we only care about places where people live, not Africans. Then, all the land that matters is a long stretch from west to east across Eurasia. From the point of view of someone in Europe, you have the West (meaning Western Europe), the Near East (meaning Eastern Europe), the Middle East (the only one of these terms that's still in common use) and the Far East (India and China).

Interestingly, the three continents were all one body of land--although Africa does have that nice narrow bits at the Sinai Desert to mark pretty well where it ends. Blame the Greeks--in their day, Europe was on one side of the water, and Asia on the other. Too bad the Euxine (Black) Sea doesn't reach the Ocean upstream as well as downstream.

As for orientation, originally European maps had East at the top--hence they were properly ORIENT-ed. This would actually tend to fit single sheets of paper better, while a North (or South) at the top fits a double sheet better.

I've also wondered how we will orient ourselves in the galaxy, once we begin to explore. My humble suggestion: Down is towards the Galaxy center, up towards the rim, and forward is towards the direction of spin with back trailing, which leaves left and right pointing out of the galactic plane. For two-dimensional representations of a portion of the disk, you would simply rotate it 90°, so spinward would probably be to the right (most languages read left-to-right) and trailing would be left.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:As for orientation, originally European maps had East at the top--hence they were properly ORIENT-ed.

Is that a terrible pun, or awesome etymological insight?

This would actually tend to fit single sheets of paper better, while a North (or South) at the top fits a double sheet better.

How so? That depends on how much land in which direction is displayed, no? Or is it that the world was known farther on the west-east axis at that time?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am UTC

bmonk wrote:I've also wondered how we will orient ourselves in the galaxy, once we begin to explore.

We've already got a galactic coordinate system in use today.

Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:As for orientation, originally European maps had East at the top--hence they were properly ORIENT-ed.

Is that a terrible pun, or awesome etymological insight?

I would assume the latter, as that is the etymology of the verb "orient" (and derived terms like "orientation"); to figure out which way is east.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

servman wrote:FYI: You can Like it on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Internat ... 1308955783

Great. A fan page about ISO 8601 fails to use ISO 8601 properly. :(
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

The more I read about ISO 8601 the more I think it's just a bad standard.

For computer to computer communication it's unnecessarily complex. And for anything involving humans it's unnecessarily hard to read.

"2013-03-06T13:55Z" is just a stupid way of writing times when communicating with another human being. Something like "2013-03-06, 13:55 UTC" would have been much clearer. Another weird thing is that decimal places are written with a comma instead of the much more international dot (both are allowed, but the comma is preferred). Then they allow all kinds of abnormal ways to write times or dates, which is unnecessary for computers and confusing for humans. For example "1325,5" means 13:25:30. Even worse is that 13:25.30 means 13:25:18. That's just utterly confusing.

When you get to time zones things get even weirder. You're not allowed to write "UTC" or any other timezone name. UTC is "Z" and other timezones are +-hh:mm. So 13:30+01:00. Again, unnecessarily complex for computers and just plain confusing for humans (13:30+01:00 means 12:30Z). If you had been allowed to write UTC as +00:00 then at least it would have been consistent, but oh no, we can't have that.

If are all this you still think this standard is a good idea, consider this: The year -0002 refers to 3 BCE! They included the non-existent year 0 in the standard, so all years before that are 1 year off.

The standard is a complete mess.

How it ever got to be a standard in the first place is beyond me.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
This would actually tend to fit single sheets of paper better, while a North (or South) at the top fits a double sheet better.

How so? That depends on how much land in which direction is displayed, no? Or is it that the world was known farther on the west-east axis at that time?

I was thinking of a map including the whole world. As you implied on your question, if only a portion is displayed, it doesn't matter, except when the portion is of a definite shape, such as Greenland, the British Isles--or Australia.

Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:I've also wondered how we will orient ourselves in the galaxy, once we begin to explore.

True. But an Earth-centered coordinate system is not so good if we ever develop a large region of the Galaxy. I mean, even the Star Trek quadrant system seems rather silly to me in many ways--especially if the Federation is really supposed to be among equal members.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:I was thinking of a map including the whole world. As you implied on your question, if only a portion is displayed, it doesn't matter, except when the portion is of a definite shape, such as Greenland, the British Isles--or Australia.

Right. I thought that you were talking about maps back when east was on top. At that time "whole world" was a completely different thing.

bmonk wrote:I mean, even the Star Trek quadrant system seems rather silly to me in many ways--especially if the Federation is really supposed to be among equal members.

The federation is actually located in Alpha Quadrant, though it has expanded significantly into the Beta Quadrant as well.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:I mean, even the Star Trek quadrant system seems rather silly to me in many ways--especially if the Federation is really supposed to be among equal members.

The federation is actually located in Alpha Quadrant, though it has expanded significantly into the Beta Quadrant as well.

Earth is on the border between the Alpha and Beta quadrants though, which I think was his point: the quadrant system seems designed around the location of Earth.

And the Federation grew from Earth and its closest neighbors (Vulcan, Andoria, Tellar), so saying it is "actually" located in the Alpha Quadrant and has "expanded" into the Beta Quadrant isn't very accurate. It's located on the border between them, albeit with more territory on the Alpha side than the Beta side. (The shows are really loose about this though, frequently referring to Klingons and Romulans as "Alpha Quadrant" peoples when they're mostly located in the Beta Quadrant. Also annoying is how the Delta Quadrant is depicted as the furthest depths of space, when the Gamma Quadrant is just as far. For that matter, why the hell didn't Voyager's course home involve taking a shortcut through the Bajoran Wormhole, skipping over large portions of the Gamma and Alpha quadrants on their way home, instead of flying the long way through the whole Beta quadrant).

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote: For that matter, why the hell didn't Voyager's course home involve taking a shortcut through the Bajoran Wormhole, skipping over large portions of the Gamma and Alpha quadrants on their way home, instead of flying the long way through the whole Beta quadrant).

Because then they wouldn't have had access to the Borg transwarp hub, and had a decent chance of spending most of their time with aliens they'd already seen before (which wouldn't be very explorer-y). Besides, Janeway's decision making, and willingness to sacrifice herself, is definitely questionable since she could have just accepted Q's offer for instant teleportation home.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Klear wrote:

Earth is on the border between the Alpha and Beta quadrants though, which I think was his point: the quadrant system seems designed around the location of Earth.

Precisely--and in an earlier incarnation, the quadrants were not really a quarter of the galaxy, since both dividing lines passed through Earth in one map I saw. So that two of the quadrants--Alpha and Beta, IIRC, were just a slice of the edge of the galaxy, while Gamma and Delta included half the core each.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

In the early days of Star Trek the terminology was quite volatile, but the Star Trek: Star Charts book sorts it out; each of the quadrants are a quarter of the galaxy each, including the core.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Mr Q

Postby Mr Q » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Klear wrote:Far East is only used in historical context, and slightly less than "orient", which means simply "east".

It always bothered me, growing up in California, that to get to the part of the world called the "Far East", you had to go west (unless you were flying, in which case you had to go north), and that the much-touted "midwest" was to the east.

Well it always annoys the living shit out of me when something is listed as "released in the spring" (insert your season here).

Which spring? When I think of spring, I think Sep/Oct/Nov, not Mar/Apr/May. Because I've lived nearly my entire life in the southern hemisphere. Hell, even the bit I lived in the UK, I still had to think about it. I always prefer it when someone uses something like Q2, 2013. At least it's unambigous (and I'd be fine with 2013, Q2).

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Mr Q wrote:Well it always annoys the living shit out of me when something is listed as "released in the spring" (insert your season here).

Me too. Not just because I'm from the Southern hemisphere (and now live in the Northern) but because I never learnt to automatically associate seasons with months in the first place. I always have to work backwards from Christmas=(winter in Northern Hemisphere fiction, therefore summer) to figure out when a given season is likely to be. And even that only gives a vague result which may be six months out depending on my ability to infer the hemisphere of whoever wrote the phrase.

I assume they do it because they don't actually know when the product will be ready, so they want to be as vague as possible. Or weather or day length is actually relevant to the product, but I can't think of any instances of that.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:33 am UTC

Those season things annoy me, because 1) I too don't associate months with season (have to work back from December = Summer), and 2) they're invariably six months off (if you can pay enough attention to raise the price by 50% here, you can rename a season on an ad).

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am UTC

I'm from Europe, but I always had another problem with seasons - at school you learn that it's spring/summer/autumn/winter, but January and February are still winter from the past year. It took me quite some time to realize spring is not the first season of the year.

It would be better if year began with March. Not only would it begin with spring, but names of months like "september", "october" etc. would make sense.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Klear wrote:It would be better if the year still began with March. Not only would it begin with spring, but names of months like "september", "october" etc. would make sense.

FTFY. (The definite article's a freebie ;] ).

But to really do it right we'd have to shift everything by 20-21 days in addition to that. Start March on what's now March 20th, the start of spring, otherwise most of March would still be in winter technically.

Of course, it'd be easier to shift everything back by 10 days instead, to start the year on the winter solstice. Then the year still starts at the nadir of the cycle rather than the x-intersection, just like our clocks do, and you get four even seasons in a year like you want: winter, spring, summer, and fall. (♫ All you have to do is call... ♫)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Klear wrote:I'm from Europe, but I always had another problem with seasons - at school you learn that it's spring/summer/autumn/winter, but January and February are still winter from the past year. It took me quite some time to realize spring is not the first season of the year.
I still get thrown off that, just looking at spring and fall, spring comes first in the calendar year but fall comes first in the academic year. The first semester in a year is fall, and the second is spring...

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Klear wrote:It would be better if the year still began with March. Not only would it begin with spring, but names of months like "september", "october" etc. would make sense.

FTFY. (The definite article's a freebie ;] ).

I'm aware that's how it used to be, but it's (still) true without the "still" and I didn't want to complicate it. But thanks for the definite article. I keep losing them, and then the bastards sometimes pop up somewhere they don't belong at all...

futnuh

Postby futnuh » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 am UTC

For the past 8 years my company has been using a date format wherein the month is represented by its corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, for example, 'A' for January, 'B' for February, …, up to 'L' for December. My date format is YYMDD. So, today being March 8, 2013, I'd write this as 13C08. This date format both sorts chronologically and is unambiguous in the month. Here's a few files from 2012 receipts folder as examples,

12L12-LinkedIn.pdf
12L12-Taxi.pdf
12L14-Blenz.pdf
12L14-Taxi1.pdf
12L18-MRM.pdf
12L21-VoicesDotCom.pdf
12L22-Indiegogo.pdf
12L23-Staples.pdf
12L23-iTunes.pdf
12L30-LondonDrugs.pdf

Works very nicely.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:43 am UTC

futnuh wrote:So, for example, 'A' for January, 'B' for February, …, up to 'L' for December.
You are all terrible people.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:35 am UTC

futnuh wrote:So, for example, 'A' for January, 'B' for February, …, up to 'L' for December.

This system addresses the ambiguity as to whether J represents June or July, by having it represent October instead!

[Edit] Or January. January also begins with a J. I forgot about January.

CantWaitForEy

Postby CantWaitForEy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

We definitely need to rename the months. At least two of them are named after Roman emperors, what's up with that. So I propose that everybody should use, for the sake of simplicity:

Ajuary, Bebruary, Carch, Dapril, Ey, Fune, Guly, Haugust, Iptember, Joctober, Kovember, Lecember

Or shorten them right away:

Ajy, Beby, Carch, Dap, Ey, Fun, Gul, Hau, Ipt, Joc, Kov, Lec

Then everything is in order and nobody will get confused any more. Optimal solution!

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:This would actually tend to fit single sheets of paper better, while a North (or South) at the top fits a double sheet better.

I was thinking of a map including the whole world.

So the pergament printing machines of the ancients didn't have the option to switch orientation from portrait to landscape? :roll:
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:59 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:

I was thinking of a map including the whole world. As you implied on your question, if only a portion is displayed, it doesn't matter, except when the portion is of a definite shape, such as Greenland, the British Isles--or Australia.

Pfhorrest wrote:

True. But an Earth-centered coordinate system is not so good if we ever develop a large region of the Galaxy. I mean, even the Star Trek quadrant system seems rather silly to me in many ways--especially if the Federation is really supposed to be among equal members.

Earth is in Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, everybody knows that.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 am UTC

CantWaitForEy wrote:

We definitely need to rename the months. At least two of them are named after Roman emperors, what's up with that. So I propose that everybody should use, for the sake of simplicity:

Ajuary, Bebruary, Carch, Dapril, Ey, Fune, Guly, Haugust, Iptember, Joctober, Kovember, Lecember

Or shorten them right away:

Ajy, Beby, Carch, Dap, Ey, Fun, Gul, Hau, Ipt, Joc, Kov, Lec

Then everything is in order and nobody will get confused any more. Optimal solution!

These are brilliant. "Ajuary" sounds like you're still drunk from the new year party, "Bebruary" is February transformed by a blocked nose, "carch" is the cough you're left with for a month after you fight off the winter cold.
Presumably Joctober is when the university sports season begins?

My only suggestion before you send it to ISO for ratification: "ey" could be confused with "A" for Ajuary in speech. Maybe "emy" or something? Unfortunately you'd have to change your alias though.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

CantWaitForEy wrote:

Very good. But a capital I is easy to mistake for the digit 1, so we ought to skip I (as in the MGRS notation).

Let's see: then we get: Jeptember, Koctober, Lovember and Mecember.
Abbreviated Jep, Koc, Love and Mec.
(Okay, maybe not quite good, but I do like Lovember.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
CantWaitForEy wrote:

Very good. But a capital I is easy to mistake for the digit 1, so we ought to skip I (as in the MGRS notation).

I am Diadem and I approve this message.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Ekaros

Postby Ekaros » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Mr Q wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Klear wrote:Far East is only used in historical context, and slightly less than "orient", which means simply "east".

It always bothered me, growing up in California, that to get to the part of the world called the "Far East", you had to go west (unless you were flying, in which case you had to go north), and that the much-touted "midwest" was to the east.

Well it always annoys the living shit out of me when something is listed as "released in the spring" (insert your season here).

Which spring? When I think of spring, I think Sep/Oct/Nov, not Mar/Apr/May. Because I've lived nearly my entire life in the southern hemisphere. Hell, even the bit I lived in the UK, I still had to think about it. I always prefer it when someone uses something like Q2, 2013. At least it's unambigous (and I'd be fine with 2013, Q2).

Are we talking about bussiness quaters here or quaters of year ;D

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 am UTC

Or the school year (since I understand the start date is the middle of the year for northern hemisphere people)?

JoSch

Postby JoSch » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 am UTC

I find that 3179-1-70 looks stupid and prefer the usual Setting Orange, 70. Chaos, 3179 YOLD

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
CantWaitForEy wrote:

This whole subthread reminds me of the Y-to-K program that produced: Januark, Februark, March, April, Mak, June, Julk . . . (and, as a bonus, Sundak, Mondak . . .)

davemenc

Postby davemenc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

I'm a bit behind but I just realized that this one used my birthday as the example date.

That's gotta mean something!

But what, exactly...

mattme

Hypocrisy

Postby mattme » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. From http://www.xkcd.com/archive/

Code: Select all

<a href="/1179/" title="2013-2-27">ISO 8601</a><br/>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”