1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

123Adz321

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:...I'm not sure I'm comfortable with such a heretical view of Time. If the Creator of Time had meant for us to see Time as such...

An outside world beach was much easier to visualize in a 3D (!) space, rather than black/white.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

*not to scale - yes I know the shadows aren't consistent

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.

Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?

maybe something like this?
(warning: terrible diagram)
Attachments
cue.png
Last edited by patzer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

First, My Present for BlitzGirl:
BlitzGirl Medal of Honor.jpg
BlitzGirl Medal of Honor.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 13755 times

StratPlayer wrote:Ok, this is really simple to understand:

It's the same, but different, meaning that it has looped, even though it hasn't, and that Time will continue, or it won't, in exactly the same way as it had before, except that it will now be different, but in a different manner than if it had looped and ended up exactly the same, which it isn't, so it's going to stay the same as it was, but in a different way.

See?

*nod nods* yes!

123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

Spoiler:

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.

I like!

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Since it seems that I am likely to follow "Time" & this thread for another month, or a year, or until I am unable ... I can bear to be a silent guest no more ... I feel like I've been absorbed by the love & devotion ...

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

*insert clever ong*
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Okay, here goes for 25 newpages of mayonnaise1
1I don't really like ketchup.

pelrigg wrote:{...)

Urge to kill ... rising.

KarMann wrote:
Trurl wrote:By the way:

How many hashes can you possibly generate with a purely white pic? :?:

It's been established that identical images have completely different hashes, with no idea what the other factor(s) might be, if they aren't completely random. There were a couple of bit-for-bit identical frames, once upon a Time. So, I suppose the answer would be, as many as Great Lord Randall wants.

Not to mention that the image contents of certain frames has been changed without affecting the 'hash'. My current theory is that each image name is a hash of the sequence number and/or timestamp in some format, or else each image was simply named `hexdump -e \"%x\" -n32 /dev/random`.png .

Having reached the second frame of the new æon, in which Cuball and Megan return to the frame. I posted the following when the fade was still at 040404; I would now like to say "called it", unless anyone else remembers doing so first.
Smithers wrote:Returning to the actuall comic (that's what this discussion is meant to be about, right?) I think Megan and Robball's departure did appear to be final, or at least long-term, with Megan's "Bye". My belief is that they have (as they suggested) gone to explore and find out more about the world. The fade-out therefore, I predict will become a transition into looking at wherever the characters have gone to next.

chem1190c wrote:Looks like aubronwood garbled the last couple of pre-fadeout frames.

Spoiler:

I wonder what triggered that :?:

Aubronwood can't garble the frames as it doesn't store them (except the first frame). Your browser appears to be interpreting indexed-colour PNG images as truecolour.
Pre-edit: more discussion on similarly garbled images has taken place in the pages following the post I quoted, identifying Safari as the wayward browser. I still don't think my diagnosis has been preninja'd though.

TheMinim wrote:Why would I want to start a flame war?

(Tune: Electric Six, Gay Bar)
Girl
I wanna take you to the Time thread
I wanna take you to the Time thread
I wanna take you to the Time thread, Time thread, Time thread

Let's start a war
Let's start a flame war
in the Time thread, Time thread, Time thread.

jjjdavidson wrote:
(Edited for double post - Man, things really have slowed down.)

Then why am I reading this from 12 newpages behind?

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

There are not enough internets in the world to properly recognise the awesomeness of this. Seriously, I need to get this printed A3 to put up as a poster.

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure if the flood of seaquel titles is good or bad for our pastpilgrims.
Good, because they will be quick to read.
Bad, because we just added three more newpages in less than an timeframe.

FTFY. Also, as one of said pastpilgrims, I'm going with the "Good, because they will be quick to read." option. Although it did lead to initial worry that I was a long was behind.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Didn't start looping. Whew. Apparently that wasn't the sea.

Tryed to loop it, but failed. http://xkcdsw.com/1186

(No specific post to reply to.)
My first thought as soon as they sat down was "the camera is going to pan a quater turn so that it looks like the starting frames." Of course, as I was reading this in the past, I coudn't post this, so I can't officially say "called it", but in my head, I did.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?

maybe something like this?
(warning: terrible diagram)
cue.png
cue.png (8.2 KiB) Viewed 13745 times

Not terrible! But I opted to replace it with a somewhat smaller image.

I am enjoying this new OTT stage of making 3-D sense of a 2-D image. It's about Time we went for an overhead view! Good for the brain!

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

After over a month as an awestruck & silent guest, in the face of incredible devotion & love, I must acknowledge my gratitude to "Time" & the followers of the "One True Comic" ... this is the faith I've searched for my entire life ....

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Before it's lost to time:

We're on the second big raise of activity or something.

(pretty sure there's some big event going on, still won't spoil myself reading the future.)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

These diagrams make visualizing the space of Time much easier. We are a resourceful bunch.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Also, sorry for double posting (that's actually a hard task!)

I'm at the part where it's revealed Cueball was building a scale model of the whole scene over the central castle :)

And I finally get what NOTNOTJON's avatar is about!

Awesome!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

No one's mentioned the new dialogue? Apparently they haven't learned much about the sea yet.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

descor wrote:I quite like the idea of only being 0.8% the way through an epic movie. The lack of time to read the speech just adds to the challenge of watching the OTM (One True Movie ... clearly)

I envision a Rocky Horror kind of thing where the dialog flashes too quickly to read, and the audience yells out what they said.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:No one's mentioned the new dialogue? Apparently they haven't learned much about the sea yet.

Only that it's indeed big.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:No one's mentioned the new dialogue? Apparently they haven't learned much about the sea yet.

I think it's because there's not much that can be said about it. (although, if #915 has taught me anything, I'm probably completely wrong)
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

I think I'm in Love with All of You and want to Marry you. just btw.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Only that it's indeed big.

And that it does what it wants.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I think I'm in Love with All of You and want to Marry you. just btw.

Just leave the axe in the kitchen, please. (Unless we're under active raptor attack.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Fabulous image. However, I missed the reason we think they are walking in that direction. In my head they were walking the other way. (Not for any solid reason, I just thought the world-rotate looked that way.) Would someone take a minute to enlighten me?

Edit: And, don't we know to turn left at Lake Shore Road to get to the ferry?
Last edited by vvn on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:<snip/>quote]
Fabulous image. However, I missed the reason we think they are walking in that direction. In my head they were walking the other way. (Not for any solid reason, I just thought the world-rotate looked that way.) Would someone take a minute to enlighten me?

Because when they sit down, they are facing us, before the camera rotates. Meaning that when they were walking, the Sea is on their right.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

I can't believe how fast everything changed, first it looked like the comic was over, then La Petite appeared for the second time, then she disappeared again, then she reappeared holding something, then the comic was entirely white, then there was land, then Megan and Cueball appeared with bags, then it looked like the comic was going to loop, then it didn't, and then new dialogue. To make this more exciting, Blitzgirl is in the present. And I'm still on page 276 :(.
Edit: Spelling failure.

ericm301

Postby ericm301 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Holy fastposting, Waiters! Thirteen newpages have appeared between my first! post and its approval! Ok, I did meander a bit through the Outside for awhile, and am just now back from that nightmare. Whew, you people post fast!
Anyway, to put things into perspective, as Time often does, I hereby Quote my own introduction, "ahem:"
ericm301 wrote:Ok, no more lurking for me. I have finally been dragged through the sand and into the Light of Time...
I was initially intrigued by the day at the beach, and the ominous, "Wait for it."
I thought, "Well, I'll check back later.."
Much to my surprise, a new image had replaced the couple sitting at the beach. I had no clue as to the gravity of the situation, had no idea of the Way of the OTC, or even the OTT, that it even existed.
I was but a simple fan of an internet comic, unprepared for the the larger dimensions hitherto unimagined.
Curious, I scanned my network traffic, and saw that, for the duration of the, then-current, browser session, I could see that the newpics had appeared at regular intervals.
But, fear crept in... I had only a small slice of Time! How to find the Missing newpix1? I could keep my browser open and it would faithfully store each new permutation (thanks, Chrome!), but, I feared that Lord Randall, as I now know him, would not be forthcoming with the past, since I had ignored his command: "Wait for it."
In Time, I discovered the Forum, and the Meaning of Time, through the Pages of the OTT2.
And, since our couple has started on a Journey3, I believe it is Time for me to, also.
May I join your rabble group, and partake of the Quest4?
I would ask for a hat5, but I don't have an avatar to adorne, as of yet. That, I think, I must remedy. While I Wait6.
Now, I will coma, which I take to mean sleep in OutsiderSpeak (I hope), and when I arise, perhaps my posting privileges will have been granted, and I will copy this to my next post.
1. Please forgive my n00bian attempts at the jargon. I will learn. In Time.
2. Are we actually going to make it to 20k posts?
3. The Walk, or the Adventure, or the Search? Take your pick.
4. To find the Meaning of Time. And hats.
5. See Note 4.
6. It's what we do.
1. See note 1. Or don't, if you recognize an infinite loop when you see one.

Now, to find a suitable Avatar... Hope the Outside doesn't come to steal me, meanwhiles...

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

ericm301 wrote:Holy fastposting, Waiters! Thirteen newpages have appeared between my first! post and its approval! Ok, I did meander a bit through the Outside for awhile, and am just now back from that nightmare. Whew, you people post fast!
Anyway, to put things into perspective, as Time often does, I hereby Quote my own introduction, "ahem:"
ericm301 wrote:Ok, no more lurking for me. I have finally been dragged through the sand and into the Light of Time...
I was initially intrigued by the day at the beach, and the ominous, "Wait for it."
Much to my surprise, a new image had replaced the couple sitting at the beach. I had no clue as to the gravity of the situation, had no idea of the Way of the OTC, or even the OTT, that it even existed.
I was but a simple fan of an internet comic, unprepared for the the larger dimensions hitherto unimagined.
Curious, I scanned my network traffic, and saw that, for the duration of the, then-current, browser session, I could see that the newpics had appeared at regular intervals.
But, fear crept in... I had only a small slice of Time! How to find the Missing newpix1? I could keep my browser open and it would faithfully store each new permutation (thanks, Chrome!), but, I feared that Lord Randall, as I now know him, would not be forthcoming with the past, since I had ignored his command: "Wait for it."
In Time, I discovered the Forum, and the Meaning of Time, through the Pages of the OTT2.
And, since our couple has started on a Journey3, I believe it is Time for me to, also.
I would ask for a hat5, but I don't have an avatar to adorne, as of yet. That, I think, I must remedy. While I Wait6.
Now, I will coma, which I take to mean sleep in OutsiderSpeak (I hope), and when I arise, perhaps my posting privileges will have been granted, and I will copy this to my next post.
5. See Note 4.
6. It's what we do.

Now, to find a suitable Avatar... Hope the Outside doesn't come to steal me, meanwhiles...

I believe that the rise in posting was caused by the bag/sand/time/whatever the fuck related puns.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

jdj42 wrote:
ericm301 wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy fastposting, Waiters! Thirteen newpages have appeared between my first! post and its approval! Ok, I did meander a bit through the Outside for awhile, and am just now back from that nightmare. Whew, you people post fast!
5. See Note 4.
6. It's what we do.

I believe that the rise in posting was caused by the bag/sand/time/whatever the fuck related puns.

That, and the second wave of Repent! The End of Time is Nigh! panic posting.

Ptarr

Postby Ptarr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

It would be rather ironic to end Time now, with that "Maybe it doesn't end" dialogue. Even though I do believe that maybe Time doesn't end.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
jdj42 wrote:
ericm301 wrote:
Spoiler:
5. See Note 4.
6. It's what we do.

That, and the second wave of Repent! The End of Time is Nigh! panic posting.

Or Blitzgirl.

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Since I'm not going to try to read the whole thread, perhaps the regulars can help me. Was there a consensus on the line "The river hasn't even reached the sea yet"? The rest of the speech made some sort of sense, but that's just odd. I'm sure this has been discussed to death (and perhaps even a papal scism leading to a crusade, given what I've seen of this thread) - any insights?
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

May people please remember to post the comics?

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Relax, it was posted 2 outsider minutes after the outsider hour.
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=18880#p3343287

EDIT: Also newpixbot will post if everyone else forgets. The robots are on our side for now
Last edited by Goggalor on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

jdj42 wrote:May people please remember to post the comics?

May people read up? You're like 10 posts late ;P

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Seriously? Read about 20 posts above yours. Also there is mscha's newpixbot that posts at 10minutes after the hour of no one else does.

Edit:Posting from my phone is too slow :)
Last edited by Caswallon on Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 12:00 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:

May people read up? You're like 10 posts late ;P

But please feel free to post the next one in 3... 2... 1...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 am UTC

F1rst
Edit: Added semi-clever comment
Edit 2: Added Edit and Edit 2.
Last edited by jdj42 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:But please feel free to post the next one in 3... 2... 1...

edit: "We haven't walked very far" reminds me of the very left-hand edge of Click-and-Drag.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 am UTC

patzer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:But please feel free to post the next one in 3... 2... 1...

edit: "We haven't walked very far" reminds me of the very left-hand edge of Click-and-Drag.

I have no choice, but to agree. Is that proper grammar?
Edit: Corrected spelling error

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Four weeks and five days, 18913 posts, 1004 individual frames. Who thought it would ever get this big?

I guess a missed a little :mrgreen:.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Helper is back!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Our Pope has returned!

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Helper wrote:Four weeks and five days, 18913 posts, 1004 individual frames. Who thought it would ever get this big?

:shock:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 am UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
Helper wrote:Four weeks and five days, 18913 posts, 1004 individual frames. Who thought it would ever get this big?

:shock:

:?:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”