1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:words

Valarya wrote:words

Okay, I see where bags came from, but how do they pertain to the forum? And, moreover, how they they pertain to my avatar?!? My avatar is innocent and never hurt anybody. That I know of.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Okay, I see where bags came from, but how do they pertain to the forum? And, moreover, how they they pertain to my avatar?!? My avatar is innocent and never hurt anybody. That I know of.

mayhaps this will help
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_Puns

it just started slowing down too
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Just roll with it, dude.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Helper wrote:Okay, I see where bags came from, but how do they pertain to the forum? And, moreover, how they they pertain to my avatar?!? My avatar is innocent and never hurt anybody. That I know of.

Your avatar appears to be wearing a bag on its back. People see it as some sort of prophecy.
Someone beat me to the punch with my bag pun wiki page.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Oh, fine.

Umm... A Bagwork Orange!
Shit!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 am UTC

By the by, had anyone else found themselves slipping into the parlance of the OTT whole conversing with Outsiders in the course of Outside obligations?

Edit: it's only been kind of a problem.
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Nice to be back in the present after micro-BlitzGirling the past 20 or so pages… encountering such things as StratPlayer's wonderful songs, loopism running rampant as things begin to resemble the beginning, BlitzGirl's UTTERLY GLORIOUS comic (even though I de-lurked too late to become an active member and be featured in it - well, I don't even have an avatar yet!), groanworthy bag-related puns, and the return of His Holiness the Pope!

JudeMorrigan wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:they are matching up pretty well. The end of time may be near.

I take an odd comfort from people predicting the end of Time. At this point, it seems like the surest sign that we are not actually at the end.

I agree. Learning from history, it seems whenever we think Time is coming to an end, we're always proven wrong… I believe if/when the End of Time comes, Randall the Omniscient (all kneel before him) will catch us unawares with something we won't see coming.

Valarya wrote:Blitzgirl comic #2 request:

OTC/OTT version of http://xkcd.com/1052/

I once wrote (and recorded) a parody of that song for another forum once! (Wait, are there other forums?) BlitzGirl, if you are working on it, I offer to take it upon myself to record it once it's done! And if you're not, I may have to take up the task myself…

mscha wrote:La Petite in the role of Gollum, I can see that, my preciousss...
Edit: that could actually work for the Loopists, La Petite sneaking in to steal the bags, and then we can zoom to frame 1.

I started doing this and couldn't stop… longness ahead, proceed with caution...
Spoiler:
Excerpt from The Lord of the Bags, The Fellowship of the Bag

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the shore. Cueball lay rolled in blankets beside Megan. "I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Miss Megan," he said. "Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway."
"Well, what was it?" said Megan, knowing that Cueball would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was. "I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left the sandcastles."
"It wasn't funny that way, Miss Megan. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"
"The log's all right," said Megan. "There are many logs in the sea (big). But leave out the eyes!"
"That I won't," said Cueball. "Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind a rock; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as if the log was slowly catching us up. And that was peculiar, as you might say. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan's almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.
"That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it were still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head. For the whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting closer to us. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet I think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of the bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though."
"I said to myself: 'dreaming again, Cueball,' I said; and I said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Miss Megan?"
"I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and the sleep in your eyes, Cueball," said Megan, "if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back before we left the castles. I saw a strange creature with eyes coming up to us while I lay down to rest after building the topmost castle.
"And I remember more too," said Cueball. "I don't like my thoughts, but thinking of one thing and another, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. LaPetite, maybe?"
"Yes, that is what I have feared for some time," said Megan. "Ever since the night on the platform. I suppose she was lurking near the beach, and picked up our trail then. The miserable creature must have been hiding behind some rock, watching us start off!"
"That's about it," said Cueball. "And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty fingers around out necks one of these nights, if we wake up to anything. And that's what I was leading up to. I'll keep watch."
"Alright," said Megan. "But only if you promise to wake me up half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then."

In the dead hours Megan came out of a deep dark sleep to find Cueball shaking her. "It's a shame to wake you," whispered Cueball, "but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft splashing and a sniffling noise, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by the sea (big) at night."
He lay down, and Megan sat up, huddled in her blankets, and fought off her sleep. Minutes or hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Megan was just yielding to the temptation to lie down again when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to the shore. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed a rock; two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed up at Megan on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Megan heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. She stood up, drawing a knife from her bag, and faced the eyes. Immediately, their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away back out to sea into the night. Cueball stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.
"What is it?" he whispered, springing up and coming down to Megan. "Why have you got your knife out?"
"LaPetite," answered Megan. "Or at least, so I guess."
"Ah!" said Cueball. "I'd hoped our journey would eventually beat her, but she is too clever a water-girl. We shall have to try going faster tomorrow. You lie down now, and I will keep watch for what is left of the night. I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make her useful. Maybe she knows if there are other rivers… but if I cannot, we will have to try and lose her. She is very dangerous. Quite apart from murder by night on her own account, she may, Randall forbid… Steal our bags."
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 01, 2013 1:29 am UTC

WOW
Me, someone's who's rate is WPH (words per hour)* did the ninja on Goggalor?!?!

just WOW

*for those who didn't see that edit

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Helper wrote:

There were a few recent frames that looked similar to the very first ones, fueling the hopes/fears of a loop. However, as many noted, Cuegan/Megball didn't have bags in those very first frames of the OTC, but since they've begun their journey to find out more about the sea/rivers/whatever, they do. This led to this post:
Montov wrote:This era should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

which in turn led to an a-pun-calypse (such as One True Comic II: The Baginning; One True Comic 2: Electric Bagaloo; 2 Bags 2 Curious etc.), which I, for one, am glad has ended.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>
I started doing this and couldn't stop… longness ahead, proceed with caution...
Spoiler:
Excerpt from The Lord of the Bags, The Fellowship of the Bag

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the shore. Cueball lay rolled in blankets beside Megan. "I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Miss Megan," he said. "Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway."
"Well, what was it?" said Megan, knowing that Cueball would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was. "I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left the sandcastles."
"It wasn't funny that way, Miss Megan. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"
"The log's all right," said Megan. "There are many logs in the sea (big). But leave out the eyes!"
"That I won't," said Cueball. "Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind a rock; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as if the log was slowly catching us up. And that was peculiar, as you might say. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan's almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.
"That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it were still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head. For the whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting closer to us. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet I think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of the bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though."
"I said to myself: 'dreaming again, Cueball,' I said; and I said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Miss Megan?"
"I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and the sleep in your eyes, Cueball," said Megan, "if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back before we left the castles. I saw a strange creature with eyes coming up to us while I lay down to rest after building the topmost castle.
"And I remember more too," said Cueball. "I don't like my thoughts, but thinking of one thing and another, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. LaPetite, maybe?"
"Yes, that is what I have feared for some time," said Megan. "Ever since the night on the platform. I suppose she was lurking near the beach, and picked up our trail then. The miserable creature must have been hiding behind some rock, watching us start off!"
"That's about it," said Cueball. "And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty fingers around out necks one of these nights, if we wake up to anything. And that's what I was leading up to. I'll keep watch."
"Alright," said Megan. "But only if you promise to wake me up half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then."

In the dead hours Megan came out of a deep dark sleep to find Cueball shaking her. "It's a shame to wake you," whispered Cueball, "but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft splashing and a sniffling noise, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by the sea (big) at night."
He lay down, and Megan sat up, huddled in her blankets, and fought off her sleep. Minutes or hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Megan was just yielding to the temptation to lie down again when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to the shore. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed a rock; two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed up at Megan on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Megan heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. She stood up, drawing a knife from her bag, and faced the eyes. Immediately, their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away back out to sea into the night. Cueball stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.
"What is it?" he whispered, springing up and coming down to Megan. "Why have you got your knife out?"
"LaPetite," answered Megan. "Or at least, so I guess."
"Ah!" said Cueball. "I'd hoped our journey would eventually beat her, but she is too clever a water-girl. We shall have to try going faster tomorrow. You lie down now, and I will keep watch for what is left of the night. I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make her useful. Maybe she knows if there are other rivers… but if I cannot, we will have to try and lose her. She is very dangerous. Quite apart from murder by night on her own account, she may, Randall forbid… Steal our bags."

Welcome to the Present present and happy blitzgirling.

Also: *yay!!* Haikus, poems, sonnets, limericks, songs and now fanfiction. It was an inevitable progression. :P bravo and thanks for sharing!

edit: anytime someone asks for a replay, we generally either call them Heretics for not Traversing the Thread of Time, or send them to the wiki. I think Helper will be just fine. ;)
Last edited by Valarya on Wed May 01, 2013 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 am UTC

You know, we overlooked the Bagxar collection.

Bag Story
A Bag's Life
Bagsters, Inc.
Bagging Nemo
BAGG∙E
Bagatouille
The Inbagibles
(or was it The Incredibags? I forget.)

dreiarmumig wrote:an a-pun-calypse...which I, for one, am glad has ended.
Sorry.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 am UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:By the by, had anyone else found themselves slipping into the parlance of the OTT whole conversing with Outsiders in the course of Outside obligations?

I've been thinking in Newpix a lot but I have only slipped in speech once :lol:

I see HAL9000... He lives!
Last edited by AK49BWL on Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Follower of the One True Comic

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed May 01, 2013 1:35 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:WOW
Me, someone's who's rate is WPH (words per hour)* did the ninja on Goggalor?!?!

just WOW

*for those who didn't see that edit

Congratulations! I was actually updating the list of puns1 when it got mentioned.
1The list is now fully updated2and I gave the first papal pun some special treatment.
2to my knowledge

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:By the by, had anyone else found themselves slipping into the parlance of the OTT whole conversing with Outsiders in the course of Outside obligations?

I've been thinking in Newpix a lot but I have only slipped in speech once :lol:

I see HAL9000...

Discipline in speech was more a PROBLEM earlier on, when there were fewer factions and phrases.

Hal returneth as well? Truly momentous times!
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:He lives!

That would be the obvious conclusion, wouldn't it? :twisted:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Congratulations! I was actually updating the list of puns1 when it got mentioned.
1The list is now fully updated2and I gave the first papal pun some special treatment.
2to my knowledge

....gee wilikers...thanks...

You may have missed my epic
Cabin In The Bag
and a new one
Bagalon 5

Edit
I'll stop now. I feel as if my life is in danger.
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Wed May 01, 2013 1:43 am UTC

Helper wrote:

Well technically, no, given his, umm... Inorganic state :lol:

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:....gee wilikers...thanks...

You may have missed my epic
Cabin In The Bag
and a new one
Bagalon 5

I'm actually glad you final beat me to a post. I've felt like I've been ninja'ing you all day today. I apologize :D
It seems I have. I'll get on it.

At first I hated these puns, but now I've grown fond of them a little bit.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:

Ooops. Wait, is a human-zombie better or worse than a computer-zombie?

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 am UTC

"The first part of not ending" - Something tells me there will be other devious attempts to make us think Time is ending in the future.

We will be prepared.

EDIT: I do also realize that there is the possibility that it could be interpreted as 'the first part' of the rest of the comic, which doesn't necessarily include other false endings. I doubt this though.
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:48 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Wed May 01, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Helper wrote:I laughed so hard I died. I hope your happy :cry:.

...how am I still posting if I died?
you were recently pronounced dead, and if you returned, you would be a zombie so...

The prodigal zombie pope has returned!

I'm getting so ninja'd right now
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 am UTC

For your reference (edited for spoiler):
Exodies wrote:
Valarya wrote:180FLIPONG
Spoiler:

edit:
Someguy945 wrote:It's like when the curtains close during a scene change. When the curtains reopen and the next scene begins in an entirely different setting, there is no reason to believe that orientation has been preserved.

Exaaactly.

Exactly not. When stick men attempt to walk in a straight line in a featureless landscape they vere off to the left (right) so the camera has moved around them by less (more) than π Randians.

EDIT: of course, I'm contradicting the post which this one is offering an alternative view to.

CONTINUATION OF EDIT: while I'm at it: it prolly isn't an exaggeration to presume Pope Helper is dead. We should have a funeral. Know that anyone who returns from the dead is a zombie.
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:"The first part of not ending" - Something tells me there will be other devious attempts to make us think Time is ending in the future.

We will be prepared.

The problem is when it actually ends:
One hour passes, no newpix. "Whoa, that's weird. Must be another slow down."
Two hours pass, "Is it a glitch or something?"
A day passes, "Lol, he's just trying to trick us!".
A week passes, "Ummm... hey guys? I'm worried."
[...]
Fifty years later, "Guys? ...where did everybody go?"

Christ, I've made myself sad.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Helper wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:

Hmm. I think worse, as a computer-zombie can be de-zombiefied by reprogramming. Human zombies just zombie around.. And I'm certain no one has figured out how to reprogram1 a brain just yet.

1: Reprogram? Re..Enliven? Rejuvenate? Hell I dunno.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Helper wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:"The first part of not ending" - Something tells me there will be other devious attempts to make us think Time is ending in the future.

We will be prepared.

[...]

Maybe the mouse over text will change to 'Don't wait for it' to save us that 50 years.

AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:

Hmm. I think worse, as a computer-zombie can be de-zombiefied by reprogramming. Human zombies just zombie around.. And I'm certain no one has figured out how to reprogram1 a brain just yet.

1: Reprogram? Re..Enliven? Rejuvenate? Hell I dunno.

Yes they have. Warm Bodies

Edit: Does anyone here have a really cute boy/girlfirend and willing to take one for the team?
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am UTC

If Time ever genuinely ends, I see no reason the alt text wouldn't change (after perhaps a day, just to throw people off initially)
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 am UTC

There was a post, then there wasn't. Referencing Warm Bodies. I thought we couldn't delete posts?

Edit: combined I see. But I still thought we couldn't delete?
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Helper wrote:

We will be prepared.

[...]

Christ, I've made myself sad.

:cry:

You should try reading the fora during the time of the Fading.

It was terrifying.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 am UTC

We will be prepared.

I love optimists. They make life so entertaining for the rest of us.

I still persist in Loopism. But I believe Randall is going to find some bizarre mathematical/comical way of looping that we haven't anticipated, like a narrative version of Penrose tiles.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:00 am UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:There was a post, then there wasn't. Referencing Warm Bodies. I thought we couldn't delete posts?

after you post it shows you a delete button option. but once someone else posts or you refresh its gone
Look for the little cross icon above your post after posting

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 am UTC

A great quote just came to my mind...

Time... you can't see it, you can't hear it, you can't weigh it, you can't measure it in a laboratory.
It is a subjective sense of becoming, what we are, instead of what we were a nanosecond ago,
becoming what we will be in another nanosecond.
The Hopis see time as a landscape existing before and beyond us, and we move, we move through it...
slice by slice.

Can anyone guess where it's from? (no cheating! :) (ok, I had to google a few keywords to get the exact quote, but still))

Edit: I really need to read the quote before I post it...
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Wed May 01, 2013 2:14 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Holy hell what happened while I was away.
I propose (if we haven't already) that newpix 968-970 be called Curtain, and 971 Begin Act II. There's such a marked change that it deserves to be divided.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Helper's time to post.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:There was a post, then there wasn't. Referencing Warm Bodies. I thought we couldn't delete posts?

after you post it shows you a delete button option. but once someone else posts or you refresh its gone
Look for the little cross icon above your post after posting

Thank you! I'm a relative newb to the fora, having only joined since the advent of the OTC.
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Back again, and yet more NewPages! So to get caught up:

diego5wh wrote:It is impossible for me to keep track of this tread as i would like it. (the outside is just taking too much.... time) but I have to say I love the puns, and that comic by BlitzGirl is amazing.

Does anyone knows what happen to helper? (i know he is missing after reading the BlitzGirl comic) has anyone PM him or something? may be someone in the outside kidnap him so he couldn't perform his papal duties. (i hope he is ok)

my other question would be if anyone here posts in other treads of the forums.

keep on waiting people!

Yeah, I hope he's ok, too. And I haven't posted in any other thread but the OTT since joining. I've lurked in a few, but until Time ends, here my words will stay...

Roia wrote:I wish I had more time to be active on this needle-pulled thing. Managing to keep updated in between two jobs and a 'life', whatever that is, is pretty tricky :(

That's ok. Sometimes the most relevant comments come from people who don't know what's going on...

patzer wrote:*insert clever ong*
Spoiler:

The sea doesn't end? Wait a minute... We were just afraid (twice) that Time was going to end, but it didn't. Maybe "the sea" is "Time"? Has anyone investigated this??? I will once I ketchup on my readin' 'n' quotin'...

ericm301 wrote:Holy fastposting, Waiters! Thirteen newpages have appeared between my first! post and its approval! Ok, I did meander a bit through the Outside for awhile, and am just now back from that nightmare. Whew, you people post fast!
Anyway, to put things into perspective, as Time often does, I hereby Quote my own introduction, "ahem:"
Spoiler:
ericm301 wrote:Ok, no more lurking for me. I have finally been dragged through the sand and into the Light of Time...
I was initially intrigued by the day at the beach, and the ominous, "Wait for it."
I thought, "Well, I'll check back later.."
Much to my surprise, a new image had replaced the couple sitting at the beach. I had no clue as to the gravity of the situation, had no idea of the Way of the OTC, or even the OTT, that it even existed.
I was but a simple fan of an internet comic, unprepared for the the larger dimensions hitherto unimagined.
Curious, I scanned my network traffic, and saw that, for the duration of the, then-current, browser session, I could see that the newpics had appeared at regular intervals.
But, fear crept in... I had only a small slice of Time! How to find the Missing newpix1? I could keep my browser open and it would faithfully store each new permutation (thanks, Chrome!), but, I feared that Lord Randall, as I now know him, would not be forthcoming with the past, since I had ignored his command: "Wait for it."
In Time, I discovered the Forum, and the Meaning of Time, through the Pages of the OTT2.
And, since our couple has started on a Journey3, I believe it is Time for me to, also.
May I join your rabble group, and partake of the Quest4?
I would ask for a hat5, but I don't have an avatar to adorne, as of yet. That, I think, I must remedy. While I Wait6.
Now, I will coma, which I take to mean sleep in OutsiderSpeak (I hope), and when I arise, perhaps my posting privileges will have been granted, and I will copy this to my next post.
1. Please forgive my n00bian attempts at the jargon. I will learn. In Time.
2. Are we actually going to make it to 20k posts?
3. The Walk, or the Adventure, or the Search? Take your pick.
4. To find the Meaning of Time. And hats.
5. See Note 4.
6. It's what we do.
1. See note 1. Or don't, if you recognize an infinite loop when you see one.

Now, to find a suitable Avatar... Hope the Outside doesn't come to steal me, meanwhiles...

Welcome! And to any and all other NewWaiters who have joined us!

lgw wrote:Since I'm not going to try to read the whole thread, perhaps the regulars can help me. Was there a consensus on the line "The river hasn't even reached the sea yet"? The rest of the speech made some sort of sense, but that's just odd. I'm sure this has been discussed to death (and perhaps even a papal scism leading to a crusade, given what I've seen of this thread) - any insights?

You seek insight and yet you refuse to use your own sight. *sigh* Well, I would share our enlightened awareness with you, but I'm afraid your unfamiliarity with the One True Thread would cause it to do damage to your psyche. But if you dare, you may venture a peek below. But remember I warned you!
Spoiler:
We don't understand Jack Shit about that line or any other of the rest of the dialogue...

Helper wrote:Four weeks and five days, 18913 posts, 1004 individual frames. Who thought it would ever get this big?

I guess a missed a little :mrgreen:.

GAHHHH!!!! Helper!!!! Oh rejoice!!!! I was just posting above about you!!!!! Glad to see you're back!!!!!

AK49BWL wrote:ASFOIDHFOIAHOIOOOOOONNNNG~!!!!

EDIT: Oops. Sorry.

Say what??!?!??!? Geez, I need to sit down, This IS too much... Lord Randall is totally fucking with us!!!!

*breathes in bag to prevent hyperventilation*

Ok... I think I'm current... Maybe. It's all a little fuzzy right now...

EDITED for splellingk...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 am UTC

I'M BACK EVERYONEong
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Holy hell what happened while I was away.
I propose (if we haven't already) that newpix 968-970 be called Curtain, and 971 Begin Act II. There's such a marked change that it deserves to be divided.

WELCOME BACK HAL!!!!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Helper! Hal!
Whatever is going on in the OTC, here in the OTT it's clearly the Time of the Resurrection and the Ensuing Jubilation Party Complete with Bacon.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 am UTC

The purest bag pun
The Legend of Bagger Vance
Is no pun at all

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Holy hell what happened while I was away.

Frame 972 marks the start of a new eon, so I think it is well-divided.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”