1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
TheMinim wrote:With the newpix, now have read to the end of page 20. Blimey, this is going to take a while.

Starting from page 1? :O Good luck, second BlitzGirl!

More like third or fourth BlitzGirl. Don't forget about Vytron! And all the other intrepid souls embarking on their pilgrimage through the OTT!

I wasn't sure who was all still trekking, since I passed various signposts on my way here. (Kryton, Vytron, and one or two others.) But I stand corrected.[/spoiler]

I don't think you get numbered until you finish. (Get to the Now, wherever that may be when you get to it.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

Okay, forget it. After the "weeee kend" that kept me away from the OTF, I have been in a mad scramble to catch up--and keep falling further behind.

After falling to 30 pages behind, with another of these "wee kends" coming up, I must admit it--I'm not going to catch up.

This needle pulled thing is just to fast for me.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

I just say...
chickens.jpg
chickens.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 12308 times

Or has the bottle/sack/sock got stuck in some backwater?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

I know ... I know .... :D

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:I'm just curious, is the HalfThousandthPage (HTP?) going to be a recognised event in here?

If it is, we shouldn't celebrate until it's finished - the first post on page 501. I'm still waiting for post 24,576: three-quarters of the way to integer overflow on a sixteen-bit system.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Hey, cool, we were sorta right about the river. Something weird in it.

BlitzGirl wrote:Bytes - here's what we've got so far:

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:All this drinking got me thinking. The OTC would make an excellent drinking game! To be played while watching back, of course - over several days/weeks it would hardly be much of a drinking game!

- Drink every time a character in the OTC drinks from a body of liquid
- Drink every time a structure is destroyed
- Drink again if it was by the sea1
- Small drink for every time M & C say something about the river
- Big drink for every time M & C say something about the sea
- When a character reenters the frame after being away, drink in relief
- When Cueball looks at the Fourth Wall, drink in encouragement
- When LaPetite appears, finish the glass

Can you do it? :D
What's that? Will I try? Of course not, I'm below the US drinking age ;)

1Which is big

yappobiscuits wrote:Expanding on that, there could even be an OTT drinking game!

-Drink every -ONG
-Drink again if someone else does it and gets ninja'd
-Drink every time someone is issued with a fabulous hat
-Drink every time the sizes of the river (small) and the sea (big) are mentioned
-Drink for every song parody
-Finish your drink when someone arrives in the present after blitzing

(any more suggestions?)

As for hat-related traditions, Selcouth, it helps to have a traditional avatar first - onto which a hat is later added (generally by the Great Milliner buffygirl, who I believe is quite swamped at the moment, but who might be open again for business later, Randall willing).

Haha. Actually, my standard avatar is of a hat, so.... (Here it is)

I guess I could always get a hat on top of a hat? Kind of like double black hat guy.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Edit2:
Alsoso, because I think they haven't been bumped in a while: The poll and the map.

What can we learn from the age profile? Well, if you have any big projects planned for your lifetime, do them between age 31-35 cos that's when you will most likely have Time on your hands.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Tom17 wrote:I'm just curious, is the HalfThousandthPage (HTP?) going to be a recognised event in here?

If it is, we shouldn't celebrate until it's finished - the first post on page 501. I'm still waiting for post 24,576: three-quarters of the way to integer overflow on a sixteen-bit system.

Are you insane? (Oh, you are posting in the OTT, aren't you?) We'll be much too busy celebrating the 20,000th post at that point; we won't have time for a 501 NP party too!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

OK. The river is too dangerous to wade into, but it is slow-moving and safe to drink from (if Cueball was just drinking from his own bag, why wait till he got to the river's edge to do so?). Given that our intrepid travellers didn't know it was there until they happened across it, you'd think it unlikely that they have reliable knowledge of any biological hazards that may reside therein. Plus they don't seem too concerned about sitting right at the edge of it. And they swam in the sea. So what's the danger?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:OK. The river is too dangerous to wade into, but it is slow-moving and safe to drink from (if Cueball was just drinking from his own bag, why wait till he got to the river's edge to do so?). Given that our intrepid travellers didn't know it was there until they happened across it, you'd think it unlikely that they have reliable knowledge of any biological hazards that may reside therein. Plus they don't seem too concerned about sitting right at the edge of it. And they swam in the sea. So what's the danger?

River ninjas.

Added: They're kind of like drop bears, only around rivers instead of eucalyptus trees.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
PhoenixRising wrote:453/491.

pelrigg wrote:

I'm with you there.
This is the most posts I've put in my entire interwebbing, let alone in one day.Enjoy your lunch.

posting.php?mode=edit&f=7&p=3341582#

^^That's supposed to be the wide-eyed smile-face. What did I did WRONG???^^

You wouldn't happen to have Javascript disabled, would you? When you click the smiley image, it summons a Javascript ninja to put the smiley code in for you. If JS is disabled the ninja cannot be summoned, so all your browser can do is put in the link to the smiley-maker.

Let me guess: you're using Firefox with NoScript. So familiar <3 I still hand-type most tags because I'm used to them not working. If you're up for doing that too, the smiley in question is : shock : with no spacing between the :'s and the "shock". :shock:

Thanks for the advice {looking around "JavaScript, JavaScript, if I were a JavaScript button which one would I be?"} (plus looking at your post I'm seeing how some of the other thingies are done. I've said this before I'm REALLY new with posting in a thread, with this being the FIRST one I've done this in more than once. {The other two(?) I posted a question and that was that.} I so I think I'm getting some of the simple stitches down and maybe I get to do some embroidery soon.)

{picking up odd bits and pieces and trying to fit them together}

Spoiler:
A while back htom mentioned googling a quote jjjdavidson had tossed out (that *cough cough* I had indicated I knew) and he mentioned this thread was the third link.
And over at the 1206: Einstein thread there's a mention that 95% of the google hits for the patent in the alt-text are xkcd related.
And, meanwhile, back at the ranch, the google search for boomerangdildoguns all lead here.

>and the choir says sooo?<

To make a point out of this long ramble:
Can you imagine some poor soul, who knows NOTHING of xkcd (let alone the OTC, OTT, etc.), on an innocent Google search, ending up on any random page of this thread?
And starts reading above and below where ever they were sent????

(typed at 2 words-per-longpix; down hill, with the wind at my back. Adjusted for errors... Negative 42)

Any Outsider googlbing boomerangdildoguns deserves all the disorientation he gets.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Helper within moments of the original post.
Last edited by Exodies on Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:More like third or fourth BlitzGirl. Don't forget about Vytron! And all the other intrepid souls embarking on their pilgrimage through the OTT!
I wasn't sure who was all still trekking, since I passed various signposts on my way here. (Kryton, Vytron, and one or two others.) But I stand corrected.
...which is why subsequent successful Blitzers will acquire the title "BlitzGirl the Next", rather than specific numbers.

A successful Blitz is awesome, and One True Path gets longer as Time goes on, so unlike most sequels, the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as (the undeclared) n increases.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

How long until they invent a boat?
“have i gone mad?

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:How long until they invent a boat?

If cueball's going to be the one building it, the better question is "How long until it sinks?"
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 02, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

As I drew closer to the final page of the OTT, the page where my Future became the Present, the path became clearer and swifter to walk fly. Trees along the edge of the path, and the grass on the path itself, appeared more and more scorched, which puzzled me at first - I hadn't been here yet. I hadn't scorched this. Then I realized - in her tremendous speed, BlitzGirl (aka BlitzRandir) had actually created a sort of lightning aura around her, scorching everything in its radius. I smiled. Home. And just in time for the magical 500th page, no less.

Final mini-novel:
Spoiler:
I don't recall who linked this first (warning for those who care: Jedward), but I appreciate it. This has been playing, on loop, to accompany my sprint to the present. So, to whoever gave me this fine companion: I love you.

KarMann wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?
"xkcd-Regular, the One True Font."

Yep! :D

I still haven't downloaded the font, but someone linked it awhile back and that was my first (instinctive) read of the extension. Probably doesn't hurt that I don't work with fontfiles more than once a blue moon, so "OpenType Font" was not yet embedded in my subconscious the way "OT?1" is.

1 ? = RegEx wildcard that selects any single character. But ofc you knew that. :)

Actually, that's the glob expansion wildcard. In RegEx, it's the period/full stop '.' that means that, and '?' means 0 or 1 of the preceding character or grouping.

The things you can learn here. Thank you!

ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:That entire exchange between you and BlitzGirl, and now this... you're giving me chills. That's some deep stuff. I like it.
It is inspired by the people that populated the One True Thread. I can't quite put my finger on exactly how or why the OTT has this effect, and perhaps it is best that it remain a mystery. It's probably one of those Heisenberg things - if you understand it, it stops working. :)

It must be the people. The atmosphere in here is special... I don't understand it either. And as you said, that's probably for the best.

ucim wrote:But really - it's all quite amazing. And you too:

PhoenixRising wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:... At the expense of what?
There is no expense. For as much Time as we have spent, we have grown in proportion. All in balance.
I dare say, you also have the gift of seeing far beyond most.

Thank you! I'm deeply honored.

Angelastic wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:I still haven't downloaded the font, but someone linked it awhile back and that was my first (instinctive) read of the extension. Probably doesn't hurt that I don't work with fontfiles more than once a blue moon, so "OpenType Font" was not yet embedded in my subconscious the way "OT?1" is.

1 ? = RegEx wildcard that selects any single character. But ofc you knew that. :)
So, am I the only one to read 'ofc' as 'One False Comic'?

I read it as "Of course". Then again, I've conditioned my brain to read it that way automatically. So I'm probably not the one to ask.

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi. I've been reading this thread off and on for sometime now. I love the hats and the filks. Congratulations Blitzgirl and best wishes to Vytron. You both are inspiring. Infact, all those who have travelled and who are travelling through Time have inspired me to do it myself (what a big copy-cat I am). I started last night and got to page 9. I'll post every 50 pages.
Bye. :D

The end of my race. The start of another's. Even if the OTC never loops, this thread has truly become a symbol of Time - a giant, messy ball of timey-wimey stuff. With loops, and endings, and beginnings, and wonderful stuff whereever the time-strands come together just right. (In here, that's virtually everywhere.)
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Cueball can swim, why didn't he go after the boomeranggundildo?

(still post-coma Blitzing so this may be a non-question, in which case, treat it as rhetorical)

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

BOOMERANGDILDOGONG...
bottle.png
bottle.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 12222 times
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

I'm a long time lurker who finally tried a first post, but had a delay getting though the Indiana Jones traps set up to snare spambots.

Anyway, I had a chilling premonition back when they first spotted the new river, but passing newpix have thankfully show it not to be...

Spoiler:
[img]
BadFeeling.jpg
[/img]

Phew.
Attachments
BadFeeling.jpg
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:As I drew closer to the final page of the OTT, the page where my Future became the Present, the path became clearer and swifter to walk fly. Trees along the edge of the path, and the grass on the path itself, appeared more and more scorched, which puzzled me at first - I hadn't been here yet. I hadn't scorched this. Then I realized - in her tremendous speed, BlitzGirl (aka BlitzRandir) had actually created a sort of lightning aura around her, scorching everything in its radius. I smiled. Home. And just in time for the magical 500th page, no less.

Final mini-novel:
Spoiler:
I don't recall who linked this first (warning for those who care: Jedward), but I appreciate it. This has been playing, on loop, to accompany my sprint to the present. So, to whoever gave me this fine companion: I love you.

KarMann wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?

I still haven't downloaded the font, but someone linked it awhile back and that was my first (instinctive) read of the extension. Probably doesn't hurt that I don't work with fontfiles more than once a blue moon, so "OpenType Font" was not yet embedded in my subconscious the way "OT?1" is.

Actually, that's the glob expansion wildcard. In RegEx, it's the period/full stop '.' that means that, and '?' means 0 or 1 of the preceding character or grouping.

ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:That entire exchange between you and BlitzGirl, and now this... you're giving me chills. That's some deep stuff. I like it.
It is inspired by the people that populated the One True Thread. I can't quite put my finger on exactly how or why the OTT has this effect, and perhaps it is best that it remain a mystery. It's probably one of those Heisenberg things - if you understand it, it stops working. :)

It must be the people. The atmosphere in here is special... I don't understand it either. And as you said, that's probably for the best.

PhoenixRising wrote:
There is no expense. For as much Time as we have spent, we have grown in proportion. All in balance.

Angelastic wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:I still haven't downloaded the font, but someone linked it awhile back and that was my first (instinctive) read of the extension. Probably doesn't hurt that I don't work with fontfiles more than once a blue moon, so "OpenType Font" was not yet embedded in my subconscious the way "OT?1" is.

I read it as "Of course". Then again, I've conditioned my brain to read it that way automatically. So I'm probably not the one to ask.

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi. I've been reading this thread off and on for sometime now. I love the hats and the filks. Congratulations Blitzgirl and best wishes to Vytron. You both are inspiring. Infact, all those who have travelled and who are travelling through Time have inspired me to do it myself (what a big copy-cat I am). I started last night and got to page 9. I'll post every 50 pages.

The end of my race. The start of another's. Even if the OTC never loops, this thread has truly become a symbol of Time - a giant, messy ball of timey-wimey stuff. With loops, and endings, and beginnings, and wonderful stuff whereever the time-strands come together just right. (In here, that's virtually everywhere.)

Congratulations, BlitzGirl the Next :D

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

JGeezer wrote:I'm a long time lurker who finally tried a first post, but had a delay getting though the Indiana Jones traps set up to snare spambots.

Anyway, I had a chilling premonition back when they first spotted the new river, but passing newpix have thankfully show it not to be...

Spoiler:
[img]
BadFeeling.jpg
[/img]

Phew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MxTRspXpQ
“have i gone mad?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 02, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Well that depends, if the Statue of Liberty was possessed by an evil spirit and started killing everyone then blowing it up could, under the right light, be seen as a 'good thing'.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:As I drew closer to the final page of the OTT, the page where my Future became the Present, the path became clearer and swifter to walk fly. Trees along the edge of the path, and the grass on the path itself, appeared more and more scorched, which puzzled me at first - I hadn't been here yet. I hadn't scorched this. Then I realized - in her tremendous speed, BlitzGirl (aka BlitzRandir) had actually created a sort of lightning aura around her, scorching everything in its radius. I smiled. Home. And just in time for the magical 500th page, no less.

Final mini-novel:
Spoiler:

KarMann wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

ucim wrote:

PhoenixRising wrote:

Angelastic wrote:

Hooray for PhoenixRising! Your Epic quest is done! Cake for you!

hatcake.jpg
hatcake.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 12206 times

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

I wonder what is "dangerous" about going into the river..? We know they can swim... is it piranha infested water or something? Puzzling.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Swein wrote:BOOMERANGDILDOGONG...
Spoiler:
bottle.png

You need to post using the hash, like this:

I do that by, Open image in new Tab, and then, from that tab, copy image URL. That helps prevent posting just the time.png that will change and confuse those who come after me.1

1That would violate rule one2 of my rules for life.3
2 Out of two.4
3 Full text of rule one: Be considerate to those around you, and those who will come after you.
4 Full text of rule two: Don't be stupid.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

foilman wrote:I wonder what is "dangerous" about going into the river..? We know they can swim... is it piranha infested water or something? Puzzling.

Raptorfish, likely...

Ok -- now to miniBlitz to ketchup froma da' coma...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

speising

Postby speising » Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
foilman wrote:I wonder what is "dangerous" about going into the river..? We know they can swim... is it piranha infested water or something? Puzzling.

Raptorfish, likely...

how long until there's an official dictionary OTT-English neccessary?

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:More like third or fourth BlitzGirl. Don't forget about Vytron! And all the other intrepid souls embarking on their pilgrimage through the OTT!
I wasn't sure who was all still trekking, since I passed various signposts on my way here. (Kryton, Vytron, and one or two others.) But I stand corrected.
...which is why subsequent successful Blitzers will acquire the title "BlitzGirl the Next", rather than specific numbers.

A successful Blitz is awesome, and One True Path gets longer as Time goes on, so unlike most sequels, the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as (the undeclared) n increases.

Jose

Well, I kind of did a Blitz, except without a forum account. (The account was the prize to myself for finishing.)

Besides, I'm a dude, so I can't be a BlitzGirl.... Maybe just BlitzSel?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No! No Morse Code, the blitzers won't like that.
And DEFINITELY no Morse Code/rot13 mashups! Bad! Bad!

Where in Time is Dracomax? We seem to have lost our Inquisitor around Newpage 408... :(

I didn't see Dracomax back there. :/ He must be way back...

And five posts later, he shows up! Did you or BlitzGirl put him on a milk carton, or something?
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
xpatiate wrote:OK. The river is too dangerous to wade into, but it is slow-moving and safe to drink from (if Cueball was just drinking from his own bag, why wait till he got to the river's edge to do so?). Given that our intrepid travellers didn't know it was there until they happened across it, you'd think it unlikely that they have reliable knowledge of any biological hazards that may reside therein. Plus they don't seem too concerned about sitting right at the edge of it. And they swam in the sea. So what's the danger?

River ninjas.

Pirañinjas.

Edit: sortaninja'd by foilman.
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
KarMann wrote:

River ninjas.

Pirañinjas.

<pause mid-miniBlitz>

That and Raptorfish.

Spoiler:

</resume miniBlitz>

EDITED to add image...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

StratPlayer, how did you know it was posted if you were Blitzing? Are you clairvoyant?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:StratPlayer, how did you know it was posted if you were Blitzing? Are you clairvoyant?

I admit it -- I'm a multi-tasking miniBlitzer. I have (at least) two tabs open -- one with pastNewPages I'm reading to ketchup (now on NP 397), and one with the current NP.

I switch back and forth. It does lead to some mild time-shift nausea, but bacon helps cure it... Especially if it's cured bacon...

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 02, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:<massive snip>

Congratulations, BlitzGirl the Next :D

Thank you! :mrgreen: Feels good to be home. Also feels kinda surreal to be sharing the same Now as BlitzGirl. Or maybe that's the coma deprivation.

Swein wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:<massive snip>

Hooray for PhoenixRising! Your Epic quest is done! Cake for you!

hatcake.jpg

Yay cake! Everyone gets some!

StratPlayer wrote:

Raptorfish, likely...

Quicksand.

Selcouth wrote:
ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

Jose

Well, I kind of did a Blitz, except without a forum account. (The account was the prize to myself for finishing.)

Besides, I'm a dude, so I can't be a BlitzGirl.... Maybe just BlitzSel?

I'm a dude too. Just roll with it, it's a title of great honor. :mrgreen: (Think of it almost as being the descendant of a great warrior. Wouldn't matter if the warrior is a guy or a girl, I would think you would receive their title when you did some awesomeamazing deed worthy of it.)

jjjdavidson wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No! No Morse Code, the blitzers won't like that.
And DEFINITELY no Morse Code/rot13 mashups! Bad! Bad!

Where in Time is Dracomax? We seem to have lost our Inquisitor around Newpage 408... :(

I didn't see Dracomax back there. :/ He must be way back...

And five posts later, he shows up! Did you or BlitzGirl put him on a milk carton, or something?

Either he sensed me clumsily doing his Inquisition work and came to do it properly, or BlitzGirl summoned him. I tend to favor the latter.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu May 02, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
<pause mid-miniBlitz>

That and Raptorfish.

</resume miniBlitz>

EDITED to add image...

Sorry, but you just triggered the default error handler in my brains SGML-processing.
DOES NOT PARSE: Unterminated element "open". Unmatched element "resume".

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Ardaglash

Postby Ardaglash » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Has anyone thought about what will happen when the OTC has more frames than XKCD has comics? (I've been skimming this needle-pulled-thing, but in no way have I read the whole shebang...)

XKCD has 1206 comics as of yesterday; Aubronwood puts the OTC at 1041 pix. If that count is correct, and the current pace of newpix remains steady, then the OTC will surpass XKCD in 173 newpix...

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Welcome page 500! (I'm at 299 right now - Blitzgirl Blitzrandir was at 219 when I was at 295)

Qalyar wrote:<snip>

We know, however, that we must "Wait for it." For this to be true, either Time must not be cyclical, or we must be in the staggeringly exception position to be watching the unique first loop out of an infinite number of loops, a situation that Bayesian inference reveals as laughable implausible.

<snip>

Typical Loopist! AGH!

What makes you think that "wait for it" means "wait for the end of it", it could just refer to the next TimeFrame! So, we wait for it, and then we wait for it again, and again. The "end" of the comic can't be deduced from waiting for it (when "it" may not refer to... it.)

Disclaimer: I don't actually have anything against Loopists. This is all just satirical drama.

@jjjdavidson: Ah, I see. Will stop counting to page 473 then! Will not click the spoiler button too! (hopefully the world didn't go 3D as hinted in BlitzGirl's avatar! - <- Don't answer this!)

@Neil_Boekend: Ah. Ahaha!

This is it, finally, my chance. I've always believed in free will, that out actions are not scripted. We decide what to do. And when. Do you believe you can really quote what I'll say and I'll do it?

Time doesn't work that way.

No, imagine that you see a video of the future, and you see yourself scratching your nose. But you can decide to not scratch it, when the time comes. And you have proven, just by that thought example, you can't have a video of the future, because as soon as you watch it, it

Apefish

Dammit!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

And we're at page 500. Just 12 to go until we get to a round number :D
Spoiler:

EDIT: dammit ninjad by Vytron
Last edited by patzer on Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Just wanna share these gems from page 100
xspeedballx wrote:We have officially reached the 4th page of this thread! This is exciting! We can easily reach 7 pages, but 8 seems unlikely.

and page 104
xspeedballx wrote:Hmm so we may never reach 8 pages, but we should definitely push for 16 posts. I know we can do it!.

Who'd've thunk, as of this page we're half-way there to 8 pages and have long passed the 16 posts, in fact we now have almost double that.

Edit:
Ok, that's it.
patzer wrote:And we're at page 500. Just 12 to go until we get to a round number :D
Spoiler:

As announced here
dreiarmumig wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:A gift from 20 NewPages ago (right after Pope Helper the First's return):
Spoiler:

-- The Man Whose Eyes Burned from the Fading

Damn you! I had only just gotten rid of the flickering afterimage on my retinae. If this gets posted one more time I'm gonna sig it.

- sigged.
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

You know, Cueball looks really upset. It's a continuing marvel to me how much expression Randall puts into stick figures (or how much expression we read into them).
Ardaglash wrote:Has anyone thought about what will happen when the OTC has more frames than XKCD has comics? (I've been skimming this needle-pulled-thing, but in no way have I read the whole shebang...)

XKCD has 1206 comics as of yesterday; Aubronwood puts the OTC at 1041 pix. If that count is correct, and the current pace of newpix remains steady, then the OTC will surpass XKCD in 173 newpix...

That's been brought up before, somewhere, but what I'm wondering is what happens when the OTT has more posters than xkcd has comics? We're over 1100 distinct posters by now.

I've been wondering: Would it be appropriate, or would it be too cruel, to disallow a new posters after we reach a total of 1190 current posters?
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Alright, miniBlitz over -- now ketchup'ed again...

You know, I'm always happy to wake up and get to work and check in and see that Time continues, and that the activity in the One True thread remains steady.

And now it's reached a special milestone!!! 500 Pages?!?!? :shock: Woot!!! That's absolutely amazing! :D

It's taken a lot of Time and dedication by all the forum members (old and new) who stay faithful to their vow to Wait For It. I salute you all and I'm honored to be a part of it.

But... There's a little part of me that occasionally wonders about the many old posters who've left and not returned. True, the Outside can intrude on one's Wait and involvement in the OTT in many ways, certainly, and I know there are many valid reasons why some might falter in their Wait.

And yet... I sometimes wonder if there aren't some ex-TimeWaiters who think like this:

Spoiler:
Just a Forum Where I Used to Post
(based on "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye)

Now and then I think of when Time was forever
Back when I said the Wait for It would never die
Told myself that I would always be
There in the forum with my company
But that was then; now It's a thing I just remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of madness
Like dedication to a trend -- but then it ends
So I have found something different since,
and forgotten all those forum friends
But I'll admit I sometimes wonder why it's over

But I decided I had to cut it off
Make out like it never happened and that it was nothing
Now I don't even need it much
Yes, I've become a stranger -- never try to keep in touch
No real reason why I had to go
leave my friends to Wait For It without me and change my number
I guess that's just the way it goes...
Now it's just a forum where I used to post.

Now it's just a forum where I used to post,
Now it's just a forum where I used to post.

A forum
(I used to post)
A forum
(Now it's just a forum where I used to post)

Happy 500th, all!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”