1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 am UTC

htom wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
buffygirl wrote:For Opiboble

:D

AWESOME!

Edit: I feel like singing "I'm so pretty, oh so pretty" but my co-workers might look at me strange...

Very fetching. Would their looking at you strange be an improvement? :wink:

...Honestly, they wouldn't be that phased by it, I laugh randomly a lot...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 12:08 am UTC

For BytEfLUSh and yappobiscuits
Attachments
BytEfLUSh.png
BytEfLUSh.png (23.18 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
BytEfLUSh2-hat.png
BytEfLUSh2-hat.png (25.55 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
yappobiscuits.jpg
yappobiscuits.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
yappobiscuits2-hat.png
yappobiscuits2-hat.png (33.08 KiB) Viewed 10130 times

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 04, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Wow, buffygirl, you're on a hat streak!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Caswallon wrote:If they are walking away from us, that is another confirmation that we are viewing from the direction of the Sea1 on this journey.
1Big2
2Does what it wants.

Haven't we known that for at least a hectonewpix?
Edit: we've known that they were walking along the coastline and we're watching them from the direction of the sea ever since they sat down and the camera turned a quarter circle.

Oh, I understand it now. They're following the river inland, away from the coast. The current viewpoint is situated between them and the shore of the sea.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For BytEfLUSh and yappobiscuits

Awesome! Thank you very much! :D

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:DING! Yeah, changing things up...

Wonder if perhaps the camera will stay in this position for a while and follow them into the image, walking alongside the river, until it starts to narrow.

I think that, or a camera turn (as azule predicted).

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:DING! Yeah, changing things up...

How dare you?!?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 04, 2013 12:17 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For BytEfLUSh and yappobiscuits

Yayyyy! *glomps buffygirl*

My otter's fabulous-rating just shot up hundredfold!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 am UTC

FullOfIt wrote:Wonder if perhaps the camera will stay in this position for a while and follow them into the image, walking alongside the river, until it starts to narrow.

Or it's the end.

Consider me the Eternal Pessimist, Purveyor of Doom, Prophet of the End Pix! Or Ben.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 04, 2013 12:21 am UTC

bighaben wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:Wonder if perhaps the camera will stay in this position for a while and follow them into the image, walking alongside the river, until it starts to narrow.

Or it's the end.

Consider me the Eternal Pessimist, Purveyor of Doom, Prophet of the End Pix! Or Ben.

EndBen. Short, sweet, and UpperCamelCased. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 am UTC

bighaben wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:Is anyone else concerned this might actually be the end as we see our hero's march into the distance on an endless journey of discovery?

I really hope I'm wrong!

Well, now that you've asked Is This the End of Time? we should be safe.

Edit: Wow, four responses in two minutes. You touched a tender spot...

I suppose I did, the denial here is strong! I felt like making a bold statement as my first post in this thread, as the actual first was buried for 6 newpix in an authentication que.

I first read that as authentication goo. Which I guess isn't all that far off.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 am UTC

Wild theory... those rucksacks... what if they're not rucksacks... they look almost beetle-like... who's seen the Doctor Who episode "Turn Left"?

MEGBALL'S TIME IS BEING STOLEN! The title is "Time" after all... what if they were meant to save the world, but the time beetles changed their timelines so that they just sit on a beach and make sandcastles and wonder about rivers all the time instead, and the beetles are feeding off all the lives destroyed by the upcoming apocalypse that Megball will now no longer prevent!

I need a lie down...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Caswallon wrote:If they are walking away from us, that is another confirmation that we are viewing from the direction of the Sea1 on this journey.
1Big2
2Does what it wants.

Haven't we known that for at least a hectonewpix?
Edit: we've known that they were walking along the coastline and we're watching them from the direction of the sea ever since they sat down and the camera turned a quarter circle.

Oh, I understand it now. They're following the river inland, away from the coast. The current viewpoint is situated between them and the shore of the sea.

I thought they were following the coastline as well, but then why did Megan look to the left, and disappear out of the left side of the frame for a newpic or two to check if the sea was still rising? And how did she know it was still rising? Did they stop and build a miniature d(y)ike on the way which they could check?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
bighaben wrote:

Or it's the end.

I like it.

Clearly my appearance at this point in time harbors the true end of time, and you should all be very worried.*

*Any errors in correct prediction of the time of the endpix can be attributed to simple rounding errors, and all monetary donations can be placed in any nearby hat.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:Hey BlitzGirl, if you're looking for a new challenge...
We kinda need one of these for your version of Boom-de-yada.

That is really cool! :D :D I was never sure whether it was supposed to be a song; I always just read it to the tune of a song it happened to fit for a few lines. I agree that someone should sing BlitzGirl's version and maybe also animate it. And all the songs! I don't always know the tunes or have the ability to look them up at the times when I see the Timefilks, so I've missed out on a lot of them.

SBN wrote:
bighaben wrote:the actual first was buried for 6 newpix in an authentication que.

I first read that as authentication goo. Which I guess isn't all that far off.

Your post is likely to be eaten by a qrue.

Valarya wrote:And how did she know it was still rising? Did they stop and build a miniature d(y)ike on the way which they could check?
Perhaps that's why Cueball dug that little ditch... to see if the sea would rise and fill it. It did.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 am UTC

bighaben wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
bighaben wrote:

Or it's the end.

I like it.

Clearly my appearance at this point in time harbors the true end of time, and you should all be very worried.*

*Any errors in correct prediction of the time of the endpix can be attributed to simple rounding errors, and all monetary donations can be placed in any nearby hat.

You know, the 2012 doomsday theory was actually right. It was just off by a few fractions of 10^100 years.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 am UTC

bighaben wrote:<snip> Clearly my appearance at this point in time harbors the true end of time, and you should all be very worried.*

Perhaps if we suck you into the One True Thread you will soon be too busy analyzing newpix and discussing hattage to herald the Endpix?
Speaking of hattage, donations could be an issue, as there are a multitude of hats about recently...people may very well put their donations into the hats on their heads, which would count as "nearby."
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 am UTC

IIRC, the End of Time was predicted 5 times so far...

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "We can't build it much taller" frame
- "bye." and fading
- Brief camera angle change

So, are we going to speculate about the ending for the 6th time? :D

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
bighaben wrote:<snip> Clearly my appearance at this point in time harbors the true end of time, and you should all be very worried.*

Perhaps if we suck you into the One True Thread you will soon be too busy analyzing newpix and discussing hattage to herald the Endpix?
Speaking of hattage, donations could be an issue, as there are a multitude of hats about recently...people may very well put their donations into the hats on their heads, which would count as "nearby."

This is not an issue for my hat is not on my head, and can receive monetary donations, of any value, and all of your hats are on your heads which render the receiving of money a certain impossibility. Also, this does not count as discussing hattage for purposes of diverting the heralding of the Endpix.

BytEfLUSh wrote:IIRC, the End of Time was predicted 5 times so far...

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "bye." and fading

Yes, the fact Megan and Cueball have turned their backs on us for the first time creates such a harsh change, in my view, that it could plausibly be the end. I think it'd actually be a nice ending as the two venture off to discover the world, which is, I find, an overarching theme of the lesser comics of XKCD.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

Until the moment you realize they are taking you to the butchery.

WTH? I read fhorn's quote and thought, haha, that's cute, I can just picture it. Than I read Aluisio's post. Who takes a golden retriever to a butchery? Who even suggests the idea of taking a golden retriever to a butchery? Aluisio, are you Cruella DeVille's alter ego?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of taking your golden retriever to the butcher to give him or her some tasty meat treats, and there's absolutely no way you're going to convince me that that sentence meant anything else.

Word of God wrote:It did.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Further, consider that the water transfer system is in a relative static state with the fresh water being added to the oceans in an amount equal to and offset by the amount of water lost from the ocean by evaporation. The net result of all of this is that there simply is not enough water in the earth's rivers to raise the level of the sea by any measurable amount.

While Cueball and Megan were seeing the level of the sea rising, it could not possibly be because of a river, or two rivers, or 100 rivers discharging into that sea. The only possible (Earth based) explanation for the rising of the sea is through the action of lunar and solar tides. Their speculation regarding the flow of the river(s) and the height of the sea is meaningless.

All the rivers1 run into the sea,
yet the sea2 is not full;
Unto the place from whence the rivers come,
thither they return again.3

1Small.
2Big.
3Ecclesiastes 1:7

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 am UTC

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "bye." and fading

No, for 666 times.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 12:52 am UTC

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "bye." and fading

Obviously. What else are we here for? ;)

Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 am UTC

bighaben wrote:Yes, the fact Megan and Cueball have turned their backs on us for the first time creates such a harsh change, in my view, that it could plausibly be the end. I think it'd actually be a nice ending as the two venture off to discover the world, which is, I find, an overarching theme of the lesser comics of XKCD.

I think the worst thing that can happen is another scene change. :)
Perhaps it will slowly fade during the next 3 Outsider days (ugh...) while LaPetite makes another brief appearance. :)

mscha wrote:Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

Hmmm.... Now you got me worried as well... :\

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 am UTC

mscha wrote:

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "bye." and fading

Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

Not today, I said;
there is always tomorrow.
And then, there was not.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 am UTC

mscha wrote:

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "bye." and fading

What worries me is that people still think it will end without any closure to anything. At least a year, people. Likely five. Randall said so1.

1Not really, but close enough.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:00 am UTC

For the Time eschatologists, it goes ONG
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
bighaben wrote:Yes, the fact Megan and Cueball have turned their backs on us for the first time creates such a harsh change, in my view, that it could plausibly be the end. I think it'd actually be a nice ending as the two venture off to discover the world, which is, I find, an overarching theme of the lesser comics of XKCD.

I think the worst thing that can happen is another scene change. :)
Perhaps it will slowly fade during the next 3 Outsider days (ugh...) while LaPetite makes another brief appearance. :)

mscha wrote:Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

Hmmm.... Now you got me worried as well... :\

My daughter suggested that it was time for another long fade, as well, and so far her predictions have not been as monumentally wrong as mine too bad. Neither of us really believes Time can end until la Petite has played more of a part.

Aagh! Ninja'd by a newpix before I even post!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:For the Time eschatologists, it goes ONG
Spoiler:

WE BE IN THE RIVER
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:For the Time eschatologists, it goes ONG
Spoiler:

WE BE IN THE RIVER

Which is small and dangerous. Perhaps we must fear for our safety.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Another camera shift! I wonder if we're facing the same or the opposite direction as the first frame.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Like I said, rounding error.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Did anyone link this comic so far?

http://xkcd.com/1169/

Though, I don't think there's much sand up there.

Edit: Yay, post #100

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:09 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Another camera shift! I wonder if we're facing the same or the opposite direction as the first frame.

It seems as though we should be facing approximately oppositely. The sea1 which was once to the right is now off to the left. Of course, the true orientation depends on the curvature of the shoreline, which we do not understand.

1: Big

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Another camera shift! I wonder if we're facing the same or the opposite direction as the first frame.

Opposite, most likely. (Assuming they never turned without us noticing.)
We should be looking at them from the river², so in the direction of the sandcastles.

Anyway, I'm relieved. Image The fact that the camera turned probably indicates that we are going to stay with them for a while.

Edit: Ninja'd...

²: small, but pretty neat.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 am UTC

I would say we are facing towards the castle, since they are traveling left->right and they were walking away from us in the last newpix.

edit:double ninjed

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 am UTC

For some reason I thought of this comic when I saw this picture...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
ford.png

Hooray! They found a Ford. Now they can use it to get across.

Very nice, Wnderer! Although... when I first saw that I thought, "Cool! cmyk's back!"

Rule110 wrote:
slinches wrote:
Helper wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:
htom wrote:He's going to pick it up. She frequently looks pregnant when she has her bag like that.

She looks more like a turtle to me.

Perhaps a pregnant turtle.

Making a pregnant pause.

OH GOD THE TURTLE'S BABY HAS CANCER WHY RANDALL WHY?!?

Yes, that would be a terrible miscarriage of justice.

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 am UTC

riverwalk2.jpg

color

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

:D Awesome

Now do them all...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”