1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am UTC

descor wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Woah, dude! Awesome. You get a gold star!

Awesome indeed! And no need to be so self-deprecating about your singing...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:New data available.

Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very

Quick analysis: Caswallon is the only person in the top 50 who doesn't have the word Time or time in his top 10 of words :shock:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am UTC

descor wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Yeah this is really cool! Good singing as well! We could add a slide show of the comic pictures to it easily enough. Other options as well I guess.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Great stuff. But I can see the potential for how discussion of the "a" in "castles" should be pronounced. Oop north indeed!
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 am UTC

Hong Kong..

Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Great stuff. But I can see the potential for how discussion of the "a" in "castles" should be pronounced. Oop north indeed!

Definitely without the arrrrr! It's spelt castle, not carstle .... *stands back and watches the mayhem unfold*
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am UTC

descor wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Yeah, this is really awesome! I definitely suggest adding the slides and uploading to Youtube. This needs to be preserved for posterity.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am UTC

After all, Megan coma'd on the observation platform for many newpix, but we've never seen Cueball coma before for sure. He must have been very tired, no wonder he dropped his bottle in the river1.

1Which, at least then, was still small.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:

Hehe, quite, cassle/carsle... I just go for the short "a" automatically, being from't North an' that...

Anyway, glad you folks seem to like it, thanks for all the encouragement! I'll get onto making a video slideshow thing then...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I love this.

Blitzgirl's original made it all worthwhile, and your musical rendering has made it all worthwhile a second time over.

Whatever the OTR's plans for the OTC, perhaps the OTT is the true meaning of Time1.

1But we wouldn't complain about "Wait For It" t-shirts either.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Arky wrote:1But we wouldn't complain about "Wait For It" t-shirts either.

With an embedded e-ink screen, and an internet connection (or Bluetooth to your phone), so it can download and show the newpix every newpix.
I'd buy that ... probably at any cost.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 am UTC

mscha wrote:

With an embedded e-ink screen, and an internet connection (or Bluetooth to your phone), so it can download and show the newpix every newpix.

I thought that was the it we were waiting for? No? :wink:

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 am UTC

End of page 95! Great! Cake!

Wall of Replies-es:

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
I love the detail and method that Randall's put into this one, just like the massive posters and the "Click and Drag" magnificence. I also really like that so much effort and input has been spent by y'all guys to discuss and follow a comic that is both present, future, and past all at once.

Well-player, Mister Randall. Well-played, indeed....

I agree, it is a beautiful and complex comic and very clever too.

lovepirate wrote:
Spoiler:
It took me multiple newpix just to catch up on all the newpages of this thread. I feel like it was a punishment, and I just wonder what I'm having atone for. Sleep, I guess.
Wait for it.

It does take a long time and that's very frustrating, but also kind of cool too. It is worse if you have to coma, work, go to school/college/university, etc.

Grepus wrote:
Spoiler:
kryton wrote:if the rocks are small enough they are indistinguishable from sand.

Agreed:

Ooh, purdy... What was I doing again? Oh yes, ketchup.

blowfishhootie wrote:
Spoiler:
What, exactly, is leading people to believe the girl is sad? Since when is sitting down solely the act of a depressed person? Because I see no other clues to suggest it. Why can't it just be that she finished her part and was waiting for the guy to finish up and join her?

Somehow, people can determine emotions from stickmen and even other people. Probably by magic.

appleGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't tell you how happy I was to see that dialogue. This is absolutely ridiculous.

But everyone's happy to see dialog, it gives us a little more info on what's going on!

matthewglen wrote:
Spoiler:
But man, with this newest frame, I got legitimately excited at the prospect of seeing them go for a swim. I'm sitting here at work and I actually said out loud, "oh dear." I really hope Randall keeps this comic going for a while, I'm really enjoying it.

I hope it goes on for a long long time! But not any more than a couple of years. Maybe it'll go on exactly a year? I doubt it, mind.

kaiken1987 wrote:
Spoiler:
Damn erosion that kills my pile of legos around a pool idea.

Would have been bloody awesome if it were, though. Lego is cool.

pdg wrote:
Spoiler:
Day 4

I have been obsessed with this slowly-changing comic now for what seems to be forever. My life before "Time" is a hazy and distant memory. Postulations that the water may in fact be ice, or pavement, a non-newtonian liquid, or coffee surrounded by snow, or lava, or jello, or a ball pit, no longer seem outlandish to me. Somehow finding a way to incorporate a slow-but-ever-changing scene onto items of apparel prompts me to look for ways to make it possible, rather than scoffing at such impossibilities.

Frankly, I fear for my sanity at this point, but I cannot tear myself away from it either.

What did we do before Time, anyway? Anyone?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am UTC

mscha wrote:

*Latent22 glues an ebook reader to one of mscha's old t-shirts*

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:

*Latent22 glues an ebook reader to one of mscha's old t-shirts*

Thanks! Good, it's one with WiFi – I'd hate to have to walk around with a kilometers long USB cable between my t-shirt and computer. Now all I gotta do, is get an auto-refresh of the OTC working on it.
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 am UTC

*crawl crawl*

jjjdavidson wrote:How much work has Randall put into Time, compared to Click and Drag?
[... (many thoughts) ...]
I, too, pondered and dumpedwrote my thoughts down. In a per-pixel-comparison I expected 4320 newpix for Time to draw level with C&D, not counting scripted tiles (all white/all black). Since Randall draws on a larger canvas and resizes the image, and the ratio size/original of Time and C&D may differ, I would not know how to estimate the time ratio Time/C&D, much less the artist's time needed so far. Aside from asking, of course.

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm torn - I want to see a bird's-eye view of this place, but I'm afraid that it will just look like this:
Spoiler:
Please re-deliver that punch in a .signature compatible style. :-)

At the moment the Dead Sea is still best guess "current location", although I don't know if any of the smaller feeders would be as large as the one described. I think "lets look for river deltas!" is a red herring - at least the well-known deltas are a great deal larger than what Megan is experiencing. WP says, the Nile Delta covers 240 km coastline, which should be the most extreme example. Small islands in river mouths should not be that rare, especially in dry seasons.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 am UTC

About the recent dialogue: "Our rope isn't strong enough." "You'll fall." Clearly he's having a nightmare about when Megan tried to hoist herself up in the pailevator.
(I know this is late, but once I thought of the word "pailevator" I just had to use it.)

ChronosDragon wrote:
ggh wrote:Edit 2: (but how will you pronounce the mixed rot13?

I'm looking at it (Bboz dr yndn) as "b-boz derr yid-in"

By the way, I propose that we call this every-other-rot13 encoding "cat13" in honor of macraw83's avatar. (Somebody probably already named it somewhere, but, hey!, we outnumber them.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>
Some weeks back I picked up a copy of the movie version of Michael Crichton's Timeline. Fun movie (if not very intellectually satisfying) about time travel. During the climactic battle scene, half the dialogue seems to consist of people bellowing, "Tre-bu-chayyyyyyyyyyy!" I think I bought it (and watched it) just a few outsider days before "Time" started running, but I can't prove it.

Ugh, the Timeline movie butchered the book. I feel the need to bring this up whenever someone mentions that film.

Agreed; but taken for itself the movie was better than a lot of the so-called science fiction that Hollywood produces.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

Hehe, quite, cassle/carsle... I just go for the short "a" automatically, being from't North an' that...

Anyway, glad you folks seem to like it, thanks for all the encouragement! I'll get onto making a video slideshow thing then...

one idea would be to cut it into four lines. Then scroll the four pics sideways one at a time so the current frame is centered. You would have 3 jump cuts between lines. A ball jumping the words or the words colour changing would be quite cool but a loooot more work. Need decent video editing software to do it properly. Remember others can help do the video and just use your soundtrack if you want. :)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

OOBLONGg!!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

End of the 100th page! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(Small-ish) Replies Wall:

Aenea wrote:
Spoiler:
The lack of flag waving bothered me, but I guess there haven't been any waves either, so it's just a really still day at the "beach"

I love the fact you had to put "beach" in quotes. And now I have to. Help.

astrotter wrote:
Spoiler:
The flags have not moved at all since they were erected. Either they were Photoshopped into the scene, or they are rigid, or this is taking place in an airless environment. In it's the third case, then the two instances of dialogue may have been telepathic. It's not clear that stick figures possess lungs anyway.

Maybe they're made out of cake. :lol: :lol:

free-bee wrote:
Spoiler:
jtomjack wrote:We also now know that Megan doesn't swallow

Talking about Megan is beginning to make me feel weird. My little sisters name is Megan.

Your little sister has an awesome name! :D :D

joaquimds wrote:
Spoiler:
yet another person who's created an account just to post here - I'm just glad we're talking about bacon rather than having arguments about assumptions...

Yeah - Bacon rules. When it is consumable, anyway.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
Kieryn wrote:New data available.

Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very

Quick analysis: Caswallon is the only person in the top 50 who doesn't have the word Time or time in his top 10 of words :shock:

Wow. "Time" is my number 1, used almost three times as much as my other nouns (and I think that counts as another two times I used it (oh wait, that makes another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time

Plus, I love that "?" is my third-most-oftenest noun. I would have thought it would have been higher, but in retrospect, I think I've also used it as a verb, an adjective, an adverb, a pronoun, and a prepositional phrase.

And just to relieve the agony: ) ) ) ) ) )
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Okay, after weekend comaing...I came back to 30+ newpages.

And I have a lot of work to do, so I'm skipping them.

ANyone with a problem gets a pie in the groin. One of the hard ones.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ANyone with a problem gets a half-tau in the groin. One of the hard ones.
Amended.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

one idea would be to cut it into four lines. Then scroll the four pics sideways one at a time so the current frame is centered. You would have 3 jump cuts between lines. A ball jumping the words or the words colour changing would be quite cool but a loooot more work. Need decent video editing software to do it properly. Remember others can help do the video and just use your soundtrack if you want. :)

I've actually already cut the comic up into individual frames, but thinking about it, it would be better if they were higher res... I'll ask BlitzGirl if she's got higher res original versions when she next pops up... or indeed, BlitzGirl, if you see this while on a tomato-based condiment, dost thou have them?

Also just an update - I've twerked it a bit, the main thing being that I've multitracked more vocals in the final chorus to give it a choir-y effect. Old link still works, just follow it again ;)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Hmm, I should be doing some work, really...

The Time goes ever on and on
Down from the beach where it began.
Now far ahead Cuegan have gone,
And we must follow, if we can,
Pursuing them with weary eye,
Until it ends, or loops some way,
Where castles and trebuchets lie.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- adapted from The Road Goes Ever On by Bilbo Baggins
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Also just an update - I've twerked it a bit, the main thing being that I've multitracked more vocals in the final chorus to give it a choir-y effect. Old link still works, just follow it again ;)
Well played.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Okay, after weekend comaing...I came back to 30+ newpages.

No problem.
But if you start asking stupid questions that could be answered by properly Blitzing your ketchup, you'll get one right back at 'ya. :)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Well played.

Indeed. I would give you another gold star but I'm running out! You'll have to settle for a pat on the head.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ugh, the Timeline movie butchered the book. I feel the need to bring this up whenever someone mentions that film.

Agreed; but taken for itself the movie was better than a lot of the so-called science fiction that Hollywood produces.

What, you mean like THIS???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Okay, after weekend comaing...I came back to 30+ newpages.

No problem.
But if you start asking stupid questions that could be answered by properly Blitzing your ketchup, you'll get one right back at 'ya. :)

Ask questions? You mean everyone doesn't just pretend they know whats going on and carry on as if they did?

If you stop making sense I'll just speak louder, because TV has taught me that's how you make yourself understood by people speaking a strange language.
jjjdavidson wrote:

BlitzGirl wrote:Ugh, the Timeline movie butchered the book. I feel the need to bring this up whenever someone mentions that film.

The Core was worse for Science.
“have i gone mad?

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

Nothing is worse than this. And I mean nothing.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd
Last edited by descor on Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>

Dangit!!! Can't get to the link from work! Evidently our management seems to think that work computers should only be used for, well, you know...

Will check it out this evening!

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Whew... Been gone since last night and now I'm like 10 NewPages behind. So even though I said I'd pause on the parodies for a while, what I need to do now makes me think of one which I must do...

So, here's some music as I begin my...

"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

Spoiler:
Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's a Ketchup Blitz!!!

I loved the original Ballroom Blitz and, once again, your version is picture-perfect. There needs to be a "Songmaster" title for all you creative people with the awesome music.

ucim wrote:There are the sounds of trumpets. The lights come on to reveal the courtyard of a mighty castle. Banners are hung, torches are lit, and final preparations are hurriedly being made for the arrival of One who is Most Esteemed. The trumpets sound again in fanfare as the carpet, of deepest red, is rolled out from the grand stage, and a procession of Knights, Courtiers, Cardinals, and all manner of Royalty and Clergy begin their procession from the back of the hall. And is it? Could it be BlitzGirl the First has graced us in the procession? It's hard to tell at this distance, it being such a huge courtyard and a surprisingly enormous crowd. One by one they take their places on the stage, each sitting on an elaborately carved perch that befits the grandeur of the occasion, and as the last dignitary sits, the music comes to a glorious close.
Spoiler:
And then, nothing happens. The elaborately carved podium, center stage, remains empty. There is great anticipation, and the assembled crowd begins to murmur, but the stage remains completely still. A moment passes, then another and yet there is no movement. But the crowd does not disperse; it instead becomes more intense in its anticipation.

From stage right appears the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, dressed in richly embroidered vestments of glorious golden hue, which flow around him2 as he1 strides to the podium and implores the crowd:
What is the greatest commandment ever written, uttered, spake, or encoded with electrons and sent at the speed of light and darkness throughout all the land? What is it to which we all must aspire, though our bodies be weak, and our will faltering? What is it that is the ultimate purpose of our assembly here, and indeed, of our entire lives? That commandment, handed to us from On High, is both simple, and challenging. It is, if I may utter the words myself without feeling inadequate:
Wait For It.
In this is written all of life. You have just done this here, this moment, but you must do this everywhere. And you must especially do this in the One True Comic, as it only exists in its own Time. For those who have arrived after the Beginning of Time, properly following this commandment involves a Holy Quest, pioneered by the Holy Apostle BlitzGirl The First, who in making her pilgrimage, has left us a Sacred Book, the Book of BlitzGirl.
The trumpets sound again in glorious fanfare.
We are gathered here to commemorate two others, who in completing this pilgrimage, have elevated themselves from ordinary Timewaiters, to the Most Exalted Status of BlitzGirl the Next. So, let it be known here and forevermore, that Selcouth and PhoenixRising have, by virtue of their heroic deeds, are consecrated each as BlitzGirl The Next, a title among the highest honors that can be conveyed in the One True Thread. Selcouth, I bid the rise, and kneel.
There is a disturbance among the crowd of Timewaiters as somebody makes his2 way up to the stage. It is Selcouth himself. Having no avatar at this time, he1 is hard to see, but you can make him2 out if you look carefully. He1 rises up onto the stage, and kneels before the Pope. The Pope raises his2 hand above Selcouth's head, and in a voice that carries far past the castle walls, heralds:
Selcouth, in honor of your having properly Waited For It even after the Beginning of Time, forsaking the distractions and temptations of the present time and the present Time, but seeking only to have the truth revealed to you at Its Proper Pace, and furthermore, in recognition of your doing this in anonymity, even before creating an account with which to receive the Sacrament of Sigcouragement, I, as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl The Next, that for all time, and all of Time, it be known that you have truly and properly Waited For It.
Selcouth rises, the trumpets sound, the crowd cheers, and the flags are waved up and down and left and right in curvy fashions, so as not to open the rift whence velociraptors might emerge should one make the Wrong Assumption about the shape of Space in Time. The Pope raises his hands to quiet the crowd, and speaks again to the assembly.
PhoenixRising, I bid thee rise and kneel.
Out of the crowd of humble Timewaiters, PhoenixRising, easily recognized by his flaming avatar he1 has on today, makes his2 way to the stage and kneels before the Pope, who again raises his2 hand above the head poking out of this flaming vestment, and proclaims
PhoenixRising, in honor of the completion of your Sacred Pligrimmage, that you have truly Waited For It as it was meant to be, forsaking the sight of the future as you pursued your Holy Quest, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do I consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next. And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of PhoenixRising, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time.
The trumpets sound again as the crowd roars and waves banners in curvy ways to avoid Velociraptorlypse (and Velociraptor lips). PhonenixRising rises and joins Selcouth center stage as the Pope takes holds his hands high to still the crowd. He1 speaks:
And now I would like to invite our Most Esteemed BlitzGirl The First to take the stage and say a few words of inspiration.
The crowd goes wild! But at just that moment part of the castle collapses and water starts seeping into the courtyard. It seems the sea is still rising.

1 or perhaps she, it's hard to tell
2 or maybe her... it's hard to tell

Jose

Ah, it seems the sea still does what it wants. No matter.

I1 thank you for this great honor, and I will do my best to be worthy of it. Wait for It!

1 definitely a he :mrgreen:

Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Is the camera shifting to the right, or the river expanding to the left?

Could be either. Or both. Or cake, I suppose.

Indeed, cake holds explanatory power over many of the events of the comic. Why are M&C building castles? Where do they come from? Who is LaPetite? An acceptable answer to all these questions would of course be cake.

Then we have two competing standard answers: 42 and cake. So unless cake == 42, they're going to fight for the Explanatory Throne. And that's a battle I can't stand. I fear the cake will lose, because 42 has much more experience as an Answer. But I love both of them, I don't want to see one of them die. Please, someone save us!

*eats the cake* Problem solved. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I see you guys worked out a far more creative, less destructive solution before I could post this. I still like my solution better though.

azule wrote:Vytron Section:
Vytron wrote:azule is driven insane by the thread and posts colorful post. Now, I wonder, if to follow the One True Comic and the One True Thread one needs to be crazy, does that mean azule has gone back to xeir senses!?
Hi, Vytron! I think this might be my second mention from you.
I don't know if your sentence means what I read it to mean, but no, I probably haven't come to my senses, but also no, I don't think I went insane that day. Maybe a previous day during my previous ketchup (2000 posts/50 pages, I noted in that post). Good luck! I think my longest run was 100 pages? Damn, need some real stats. lol.

He's referring to the rainbow-colored post where you ranted extensively. IIRC you deliberately wrote it to appear as if you were insane. That actually reminds me, I need to go back to that section and pull quotes for the wiki. I read that part on my phone...
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

My treking continues!

Page 418/547 - 129 Pages to go. Apr 26, 2013 4:04 pm UTC - 9 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes of content left to read.

There have been plenty of offtopic discussion, this is starting to feel like reading the General Discussion section, but I can't blame anyone since nothing is happening at all in the OTC!

I pass another SignPost of BlitzGirl:
Quest progress: 378 out of 408 pages. 330 out of 375 pages. (259 out of 324 pages (149 out of 259 pages). 267 out of 325 pages (173 out of 267 pages.). 271 out of 330 pages.)

Okay, that's a mess. I'll stop reporting deep layers now...

BlitzGirl posts a manip!:

Spoiler:
Original manip by cmyk and caption adapted by BlitzGirl from a comment by tman2nd.

LANDMARK - BlitzGirl reads my next SignPost! (when I was at page 160)

BlitzGirl wrote:Aha! Now I know who Vytron is! Good luck to you on your Quest, fellow pilgrim! :)

Thank you! Though I guess you'd have never imagined you'd become the main reason I'm questing!

Spoiler:
Blitzgirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl, I'm your fan! if you can't do it, no one can! FTFM
Woo! Though if I fail to make it, it seems Vytron has undertaken a similar Quest to reach you of the future, so perhaps you will see Vytron one longpix.

And now that I know you did it, I know I can do it! :)

And another paradox!
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for the Cake!!!

To help motivate you on your journey BlitzGirl I have a quote from YOUR future.

Further confirmation that cake awaits me in coming newpages. How exciting! :D

More or less ;)

And I pass a picture that says how many unique people have visited the thread since page 408 (Apr 25, 2013 6:19 pm UTC), with a population map of them:

Spoiler:

So I am Visitor #7352 8-)

Another BlitzGirl's SignPost: 382 out of 409 pages.

She sees herself in the comic, and doesn't recognize herself! She believes people are kidding when they said she was in the comic.

And it's PASTPARTY time!

Spoiler:

Megan puts the last flag on the sandcastles and says bye :(

jjjdavidson explains why some genesis page toppers appear at the bottom (and above the bottom) of previous pages: moderators have been deleting posts from the thread! Yeah, those evil demons! If you double post and then edit the content of the second post and put it on the first one, and flag your own posts, they will delete it! ... Well, that doesn't sound much evil...

Then, he goes on to explain how to get hashes of future TimeFrames, and posts this one:

Spoiler:

I didn't believe it. But I had my doubts, so I right-clicked to get the url of the picture and saw it wasn't from the comic.

The reason I didn't believe it is because it uses the same typeface that was used for the Externalities comic, while the OTC doesn't use any typeface and is written by hand. Nice try though!

aeglaeca catches up to the present! Welcome! (or, appropriate word considering I'm not there yet)

I pass the next BlitzGirlSignPost: 385 out of 414 pages. 342 out of 383 pages (289 out of 341 pages.) & 346 out of 384 pages. 293 out of 346 pages (Whistle of Temporal Harmony).

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Or Megan was secretly dreaming of Blitzgirl, hence why she was summoned into the comic.
You all are really starting to convince me that I did wander through Time without noticing. :shock:

And BlitzGirl starts to realize it: yes, people weren't kidding, you were really there! :)

beargarden reports to be 200 pages behind, but that xey will not be blitzgirling. Aw :(

SPACKlick posts lists of movies/series with spoilers. Oh, yoink! I'll not read the spoilers but have added them to my must-watch list 8-)

People go crazy with the haikus. Entire posts written in haikus.

And we have a new record! 13 time frames of nothing happening, but pixel hunting! Boo!

Scratch that! It may not be a wave, but it's certainly the most important event as of late!

Valarya reports that the comic is a bit lighter now! Google Chrome can't show any color from #010101 to #141414 and changes them to #151515 instead, making us see something we weren't meant to see yet!

Curiously, I had already thought of the possibility of the image fading in/out, if just because mscha's images of pixel differences had the black sand/ice/bacon much lighter than the original frames, and since he was reporting a color difference, it crossed my mind that if the whole sky got darker or the sand got lighter, his pictures would show that difference in that way.

Will the comic fade to white? Maybe then the camera will pan down and a new story will begin!?

I can't wait to wait for it! Or something.

And thanks Swein! I'll fly as fast as I can to the present!

Quest to the Big Bang Progress: 176,000 years ago - 84,000 years of progress. Homo sapiens evolves, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-Chromosomal Adam in Africa.

Onward!
Last edited by Vytron on Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
<snip>

The Core was worse for Science.

Oh yeah -- agreed!

And thank you very much for reminding of a movie I'd successfully purged from my memory, damn it! Somebody give Dracomax a pie in the groin, please!

woods

Postby woods » Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

Actually, StratPlayer, Armageddon is one of those movie's I'm embarrassed to love watching. As science fiction I always break it down as about equal portions "Wow, someone has a clue," and "Okay, so they hollywooded up the technobabble a bit," and "Oh, jeez, a third-grader would know better!" But as a story about people, about love and heroism and sacrifice -- well, I blush to confess this (literally; my face feels warm), but I really love to watch it.

ETA:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.

Speaking for myself, I happen to be infested by cosines.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I love the detail and method that Randall's put into this one, just like the massive posters and the "Click and Drag" magnificence. I also really like that so much effort and input has been spent by y'all guys to discuss and follow a comic that is both present, future, and past all at once.

Well-player, Mister Randall. Well-played, indeed....

I agree, it is a beautiful and complex comic and very clever too.

Wow -- that's probably like the second thing I'd ever posted in the OTT! Scary to realize that I was once this clear-headed and lucid.... :shock:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

Actually, StratPlayer, Armageddon is one of those movie's I'm embarrassed to love watching. As science fiction I always break it down as about equal portions "Wow, someone has a clue," and "Okay, so they hollywooded up the technobabble a bit," and "Oh, jeez, a third-grader would know better!" But as a story about people, about love and heroism and sacrifice -- well, I blush to confess this (literally; my face feels warm), but I really love to watch it.

ETA:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.

Speaking for myself, I happen to be infested by cosines.

Myself, I'm Waiting for a Sine from above...

(And it's ok -- you can still enjoy a bad movie like Armageddon. I kinda liked it too, but there is a LOT of better sci-fi out there, I believe).

ETA (to avoid a triple-post!!!):

PhoenixRising wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Whew... Been gone since last night and now I'm like 10 NewPages behind. So even though I said I'd pause on the parodies for a while, what I need to do now makes me think of one which I must do...

So, here's some music as I begin my...

"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

Spoiler:
Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's a Ketchup Blitz!!!

I loved the original Ballroom Blitz and, once again, your version is picture-perfect. There needs to be a "Songmaster" title for all you creative people with the awesome music.

Thanks! I like doing them 'cause they're fun, and I like throwing them out into the OTT as bait for comments. So maybe my title should be Master Baiter? Oh wait -- No, strike that...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”