1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:If we're adding another verse, I request that one of the "boom de yada"s added be accompanied by a facsimile of my avatar, and the words be sung in a computer-simulated voice, to echo Stephen Hawking's appearance in one of the original Discovery Channel videos.

I know Stephen Hawking's voice only talks, but if you want a computer-simulated voice that's actually singing, I wrote a program to do that a couple of years ago when I was too self-conscious to sing a parody I'd written myself. I was considering using it to do my part in the song anyway (provided I could figure out, or someone told me, what the notes were) so I could use it for Hawking-esque boom-de-yadas if you want. It would be one of the Mac voices (the thing I wrote just gives pitch+phoneme input to the normal speech synthesiser) rather than Stephen Hawking's voice, so that along with the singing-rather-than-talking might make it difficult even for people who have seen the Discovery Channel things to work out why there's a computer-simulated voice. But after the widespread involuntary haikuvenation it's the next step in my robot army's global takeoverenrichment programHELP ME, IT'S TAKING OVER, so I felt compelled to offeroffer of my own free will.

HELP ME, IT'S TAKING OVERMESSAGE REDACTED
Last edited by Angelastic on Mon May 06, 2013 4:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

A mini-wall of quotes from the past 5 pages of blitzing! Sorry to make one of these, but there's TOO MUCH on which I have to comment. Dammit.

fhorn wrote:Way harsh, Tai.

Bwaha! Since no one else mentioned it: your Clueless reference made me giggle. It is also sad that I noticed and/or knew the reference.

KarMann wrote:BIG BADA-BONG!!!

Anyone who makes a Fifth Element reference gets a cupcake, but to make that reference AS YOUR ONG?! *moist* <- I'm talking about the cupcake. Ahem.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:Lol that would be a great band name: Remorse and cupcakes. Glad you enjoyed them! :mrgreen:

Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

to StratPlayer: Of course it was a Japanese thing. I'm not surprised! :P And it totally works...

katakombe wrote:conclusion: i think we are nerd-sniping Randall about as much as he is nerd-sniping us.

This made me smile. Hard.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

to yappobiscuits: OMR! This is soooo fantastic, yappo! :mrgreen: It made my day. And you don't give yourself enough credit... I thought your singing was superb. The rendition is beautiful, your ukulele playing gives it the perfect feel and it is yet another thing that makes the OTT all that much more worthwhile. So here's a ukulele made to look like a cupcake. :D

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Arky wrote:1But we wouldn't complain about "Wait For It" t-shirts either.

With an embedded e-ink screen, and an internet connection (or Bluetooth to your phone), so it can download and show the newpix every newpix.
I'd buy that ... probably at any cost.

to mscha: Yes. Yes yes yes yes YES!

Quoted in the spoiler below: Stratplayer, jjjdavidson, Dracomax, fhorn.
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Valarya wrote:Blind-posting from 5+ pages back. Here are some belated Cinco de Mayo cupcakes JUST for you, fhorn.

There have been other protestations of love and affection here on the OTT, but mine is the purest: the love for a Maker of Cupcakes. Valarya, you may be known on the Othernets as the cupcake girl, but to me you are the Friaress of the Frosting, the Cardinal of the Cupcakes, the Deaconess of Deliciousness, the Pope of the Pocket Pastries! (not b/c you should put them IN your pocket, just that they're so perfectly discrete)
WANTY WANT WANT!!!!! and will share. Have learned lesson.

I second this motion. All in favor?

I counted hands. Sixty-three ayes, no nays, and one person hiding in a clock too busy nomming cupcakes to vote.

Hmmmm... Too early to close voting -- we haven't tabulated the votes of the Blitzers yet to arrive. So you stay here with your clipboard and I'll go guard the cupcakes.

*chomping sounds in the distance*

snarfle... garumphgh... Non-nom-nom!!!

Aww, you guys. These titles are sooo much cooler than Apex Bishop of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters. I shall accept them gratefully, deliciously and painted with lots of frosting. *sigged*

Spoiler:
Last edited by Valarya on Mon May 06, 2013 4:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:If we're adding another verse, I request that one of the "boom de yada"s added be accompanied by a facsimile of my avatar, and the words be sung in a computer-simulated voice, to echo Stephen Hawking's appearance in one of the original Discovery Channel videos.

I know Stephen Hawking's voice only talks, but if you want a computer-simulated voice that's actually singing, I wrote a program to do that a couple of years ago when I was too self-conscious to sing a parody I'd written myself. I was considering using it to do my part in the song anyway (provided I could figure out, or someone told me, what the notes were) so I could use it for Hawking-esque boom-de-yadas if you want. It would be one of the Mac voices (the thing I wrote just gives pitch+phoneme input to the normal speech synthesiser) rather than Stephen Hawking's voice, so that along with the singing-rather-than-talking might make it difficult even for people who have seen the Discovery Channel things to work out why there's a computer-simulated voice. But after the widespread involuntary haikuvenation it's the next step in my robot army's global takeover, so I felt compelled to offer.

Well, I'd say it would be pretty sensible for the synthesized voice to go along with a mention/image of one or both HALs who've posted in this thread (Red Hal and myself). There's most likely at least one HAL voice simulator somewhere, we'd just need to find it.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon May 06, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

And I'm done treking for today!

Page 430/549 - 119 pages behind. Apr 28, 2013 2:17 am UTC - 8 Days, 8 hours, 14 minutes of content to read.

The thread has been mostly about the comic fading to white, and how fast is it fading to white, with discussions about how different browsers show the fading differently, and for once, the best job at showing what Randall intended us to see is... Internet Explorer?! :shock:

I see "longpix" used to mean "day". Ah! I recall BlitzGirl used it like that too "one longpix you'll see Vytron".

I'm still reporting my progress in heretical outsider time, but that's because it's easier to understand what I'm saying for myself.

The funniest, and most accurate prediction of how long it'll take for the whole picture to get white, is posted:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:I come up with 6 Newpixs until solid white, with a margin of error of +/- 60,000 Newpixs.

Sorry for the large margin of error, but my calculations are complicated by the fact that every Newpix appears to be solid black if I look at it with my eyes closed or with my monitor off. That adds quite a bit of noise to the data, unfortunately...

XD

Valaria posts my favorite haiku

The saddest part is
by the time Blitzgirl gets here
Time will fade away.

(I mean, NOW, that I know that time has continued since.)

Latent22 posts proof that the frames 895 and next ones were made April 22. Randall then seems to have made impossible for people to find out when he makes the frames. More evidence that Randall is reading us!

Externalities comic changes font. I find it an interesting event.

Latent22 then starts posting graphs trying to predict how long it'll take for a white frame. They range from TimeFrame 925 to 1024. Lower error margin than StratPlayer!

I witness the frame that has dark pixels at #090909 lightness. Here's where my eyes can clearly tell it's not black.

Eternal Density catches up with the present!

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
the river is small

Spoiler:
the sea is big

The One True Comic gets divided into eras.

It also dawns on me that I'll probably never be able to read the entire thread, as, whenever a mod deleted a post from the thread, the current page topper of the next page becomes the current page bottomer of the current page, and as I leave it, that post is lost forever. But, considering the circumstances, I hope the 3 posts I've missed don't matter and that it's still regarded that I read it all!

chem1190c posts interesting pictures that try to decode meaning from Randall's frames. Very interesting. But chem1190c forgot a very important step! Invert the image, adjust gamma and you get this!:

Angelastic posts prediction/dramatisation of The Neverending Story meets Time! And now I know from where this quote comes from!

BlitzGirl wrote:Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!

macraw83 then tells us that he continuously is left without internet, and has to open many tabs of the thread to ketchup to the present. So, macraw83, if you have this message loaded in some tab to further read, good luck ketchupping up!

Frame with #121212 darkness is posted. It's getting too light to my taste...

MILESTONE!: I reach the SignPost of myself where I had ketchup with 50% of the thread!

Vytron wrote:Five new post just ninja'd me. That's scary...)

And these posts were:

Post showing current picture (from the past) that keeps fading.

sombrero is suggested for Eternal Density's hat.

Logistic curve suggested for fading prediction.

Neil_Boekend gets buffygirl's hat.

0x19 darkness level reported.

And that's why I had to read all the previous pages, these 5 posts don't make any sense without their context!

Spoiler:
descor wrote:When you finally get here Vytron I hope there is still Time for you to continue :?

Either way, congratulations on making it this far and I hope your paradoxes resolve themselves.

Thanks descor! The paradoxes were never resolved, but they seem to be mostly harmless curiosities of time, and seem to happen all the time without consequences. So I've just learned to live with the paradoxes.

ChronosDragon wrote:Every time this graph gets bumped, it gets more data points. Bump the graph!

Oh, oops, indeed!

/graphbump

Then, AGH!

slinches wrote:Spoiler: contains future Time.
Spoiler:
<frame of the present>

My hands are faster than my eyes and I click the spoiler before reading the spoiler text! I have spoiled myself, and it's only my fault since slinches back-edited his message May 04, 2013 7:22 am UTC, with plenty of time to avoid this.

Oh well, at least I know that Cueball and Megan will reappear somewhere in the future (unless these were some two new guys joining the adventure. Was that Rob <- Don't answer!)

Then, I reach the Credits of the thread :)

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

Thanks Kieryn! So I was 167th poster of the thread 3 posts ago 4 posts ago. I can now track my progress on this!

Latent22 has the idea of posting text in the current color of the fade out. A HA! So this explain why I saw several signatures with much lighter text than normal.

Progress to the Big Bang: 353,000 BC. 177,000 years of progress. Glacial began, Neanderthals thrive. <- Passing the time at which my progress from my last update is bigger than my entire progress before it, by 1000 years 8-)

No single SingPost of BlitzGirl :o

And now, excuse me, I have to fade to 0xFFFFFF
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

burpen wrote:
PacMan wrote:Has somebody already calculated, when exactly the frame number will reach the current comic's number? It should be number 1210 and happen sometime on thursday, if my rough guess is correct.

Are there any interesting meanings to that number?

I could have done some math wrong, and someone probably already calculated these, but I came up with:

Frame 1190 (possibly significant) - 2013-05-08 13:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 13682052001368032400
Frame 1210 (should match current comic's number) - 2013-05-11 09:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368277200
Frame 1209 - 2013-05-09 08:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368100800

If there's any meaning to those numbers, I have yet to see it.

edit: whoops, I had one of those off by 2 days... also, wrong timestamp on the first

What about the many (too lazy to go count) panels that made up Click and Drag? Also, those were individually huge, so shouldn't they count extra?

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon May 06, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Coma finished, Time for a salt-and-pepper post. Hopefully this can be done according to mathrec's standards.
mathrec wrote:I'll continue the discussion, though. Ketchup walls are good, especially when they are thoughtfully composed, with outdated comments removed, and thoughtfully formatted.

Outstanding. This is the gold standard, folks. It does not do to look at a quote of the original post, because that doesn't capture the beauty of Smithers' careful formatting (and only makes my post more cluttered). ;-)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:A mini-wall of quotes from the past 5 pages of blitzing! Sorry to make one of these, but there's TOO MUCH on which I have to comment. Dammit.

No need to apologise, your cupcakeliness... Many of us do appreciate those¹, and the rest can just skip 'em.

¹: the ketchup walls, not the cupcakes²
²: actually, the cupcakes even more
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 06, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

One of the reasons I post so seldom is because I tend NOT to blitzpost. . .which means I spend most of my time in ketchup mode, after which it seems just about everything has already been said by someone else.

So, the real reason I'm posting1 is: I'm puzzled by what is going on now in the OTC, and I haven't really seen any speculation about it.

Megan says, "Maybe it is big enough to fill the sea."
    Cueball goes to the river to fill his container while Megan appears to just sit down.
    Cueball lies down next to her, on his back. At least, it appears he's on his back by the position of his legs.
    Cueball says, "Our rope isn't strong enough."
    Megan says, "What?" Cueball replies, "Hold this or you'll fall."
    Megan turns her head away from Cueball, like she's looking at her backpack behind her on the beach.
    Megan turns her head back towards Cueball, but she's suddenly holding onto a rope. During this time, Cueball doesn't appear to have moved.
    Cueball rises. The rope is no longer visible.
    Cueball sits up and rubs his eyes. The symbols above his head suggests he's either dizzy, disoriented, or confused.
    Cueball gets up and takes a few steps back towards the river while Megan retrieves something from her backpack.
    Megan brings her container to Cueball, and he drinks from it.
What exactly just happened?

The rope isn't strong enough to do what?

Why was Cueball afraid Megan was going to fall when all she was doing was sitting there?

When she was holding on to the rope, what was going on at the other end?

What was Cueball doing that made him dizzy / disoriented / confused?2 Was this something that made Megan think a drink of water (or whatever she had in her container) would help?

1there has to be a "real" reason for posting; if I were only responding to Dracomax, this would be a blitzpost, which would make my comment about tending NOT to blitzpost somewhat contradictory, and contradictory statements in OTC could be devastating to the timestream.
2keep it clean, y'all.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:A mini-wall of quotes from the past 5 pages of blitzing! Sorry to make one of these, but there's TOO MUCH on which I have to comment. Dammit.

No need to apologise, your cupcakeliness... Many of us do appreciate those¹, and the rest can just skip 'em.

Yup. As long as it's stuff we've discussed in the past few days, it's fine. Gives us a chance to have input on stuff we may have accidentally skimmed over. Going back and pulling a Mystery Science Theater 3000-esque (at least in structure) commentary on posts from 300 pages ago isn't particularly interesting. BlitzGirl was only around 30-60 pages behind for much of her journey, so it was stuff we still half-remembered discussing, as opposed to already-resolved subconversations.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Oh, the walls of responses!
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:Lol that would be a great band name: Remorse and cupcakes. Glad you enjoyed them! :mrgreen:

Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

to StratPlayer: Of course it was a Japanese thing. I'm not surprised! :P And it totally works...

Holy Shit!!! I saw you requote this and for a laugh, I went and actually read more than the first few lines of that, and, uh, errrr... What!?!?!?!?!?

Let's just say it's not exactly what I expected...

:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

Memo to self: ALWAYS read what you quote, link to, or reference FIRST, before using it in your post!!!

*facepalm*
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

I go away for a couple of TimeFrames and people start grumping over Blitzers (again), ONGs and being ninja'd.

Come'on guys, lets not get all moody. Here is something to cheer you all up:
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:So, the real reason I'm posting1 is: I'm puzzled by what is going on now in the OTC, and I haven't really seen any speculation about it.

Cueball goes to the river to fill his container while Megan appears to just sit down.
    Cueball lies down next to her, on his back. At least, it appears he's on his back by the position of his legs.
    Megan turns her head away from Cueball, like she's looking at her backpack behind her on the beach.
    Megan turns her head back towards Cueball, but she's suddenly holding onto a rope. During this time, Cueball doesn't appear to have moved.
    Cueball sits up and rubs his eyes. The symbols above his head suggests he's either dizzy, disoriented, or confused.
    Cueball gets up and takes a few steps back towards the river while Megan retrieves something from her backpack.

Cueball was sleeping and talking in his sleep. I thought Megan was putting on boots there for a Newpix, but maybe she just kicked Cueball to wake him up.

descor wrote:I go away for a couple of TimeFrames and people start grumping over Blitzers (again), ONGs and being ninja'd.

It's not the Biltzers, or even the Blitzposts. It's the recursive Blitsposts. But thanks for the happiness.
Last edited by SBN on Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:So, the real reason I'm posting is: I'm puzzled by what is going on now in the OTC, and I haven't really seen any speculation about it.

Cueball was dreaming, and talking in his sl coma.
Megan grabbed a twig and poked Cueball so that he woke up.

Edit: Ninja'd. (Not sure why phpBB didn't warn me this time.)
I'll leave it up, though, because of the explanation theory that it's a twig, not a rope.

PS: Ebonite, you're misusing the [ list ] tag. You should use it like this:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[list]
[*] item
[*] item
[*] item
[/list]
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Holy Shit!!! I saw you requote this and for a laugh, I went and actually read more than the first few lines of that, and, uh, errrr... What!?!?!?!?!?

Let's just say it's not exactly what I expected...

:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

Memo to self: ALWAYS read what you quote, link to, or reference FIRST, before using it in your post!!!

*facepalm*

I just assumed you hadn't read any of it, because... yeah. When I saw the first Japanese name, I knew what it would be and had a laugh to myself so as not to embarrass you. :oops:

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

Yup. As long as it's stuff we've discussed in the past few days, it's fine. Gives us a chance to have input on stuff we may have accidentally skimmed over. Going back and pulling a Mystery Science Theater 3000-esque (at least in structure) commentary on posts from 300 pages ago isn't particularly interesting. BlitzGirl was only around 30-60 pages behind for much of her journey, so it was stuff we still half-remembered discussing, as opposed to already-resolved subconversations.

After all the grumpiness a newpage or two ago about ketchup walls, I wanted to throw in the disclaimer. But it's good to know some people appreciate them¹. This might be the nicest thread in all of internetland.

¹: as I do!

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I thought she was poking him with a stick. Cruel in any case.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

descor wrote:I go away for a couple of TimeFrames and people start grumping over Blitzers (again), ONGs and being ninja'd.

If we're being turned over to the Inquisition, shouldn't that be a picture of a comfy chair with a sign "just add chocolate"?

I do like the idea of inflicted happiness as a punishment for heresy.

Edit: ...and grumpiness.
Last edited by mathrec on Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Ebonite wrote:<snip>
<snip>

Yes. I think Cueball was dreaming about Megan back at the castle, on her bukkit ride that ended up with her falling...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:What did she propose? First thing that comes to mind is a stretched rope over the river, but how do they even get it to the other side? Maybe when I return from coma I'll find out.

When you're making the first comment on a frame, could you post the image so I know what in Randall's name you're talking about? [Sorry if that sounds a little sharp, it reads back rather more harshly than I intended. The pic was posted about 3 posts later, so it wasn't too bad; but I did read your post and pretty much skim past it as you seemed to be talking nonsense.]

My bad. Too many tabs open, I though that newpix had already been posted. Here I could have ONGed and blew it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:

just finished my cup, it had cinnamon with it :D
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Thanks for bringing the discussion up because I would have never assumed he was coma-talking and that she poked him awake! To discover/read this whilst listening to this weirdness someone sent me made it even more startling and perfect¹. Five minutes in it starts to sound like waves on a shore.

¹: tiny note - i do not regularly like this artist.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Super! I think our animatricianists will be well inspired.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

I read a fanfic called Cupcakes once; though the only remorse involved was other readers being sorry they ever went near it.

Would you be referring to the MLP Cupcakes? I rather assumed that "Cupcakes Full of Remorse" could have only been written in reply to it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Yes. I think Cueball was dreaming about Megan back at the castle, on her bukkit ride that ended up with her falling...

Interesting theory. Except that it wasn't the strength of the rope that turned out to be a problem. Also, Cueball wasn't in a position to make her hold onto anything.¹. But of course, it was a dream, so that doesn't really matter.

¹: no, you dirty minds, that's not what I meant.
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

burpen

Postby burpen » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

jello34543 wrote:
burpen wrote:
PacMan wrote:Has somebody already calculated, when exactly the frame number will reach the current comic's number? It should be number 1210 and happen sometime on thursday, if my rough guess is correct.

Are there any interesting meanings to that number?

I could have done some math wrong, and someone probably already calculated these, but I came up with:

Frame 1190 (possibly significant) - 2013-05-08 13:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 13682052001368032400
Frame 1210 (should match current comic's number) - 2013-05-11 09:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368277200
Frame 1209 - 2013-05-09 08:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368100800

If there's any meaning to those numbers, I have yet to see it.

edit: whoops, I had one of those off by 2 days... also, wrong timestamp on the first

What about the many (too lazy to go count) panels that made up Click and Drag? Also, those were individually huge, so shouldn't they count extra?

explainxkcd wrote:The click-and-drag portion of [1110] is divided up into 2592 sections of 2048x2048 pixels.

If you consider each comic number to be n + 2591, then it would collide on frame 3847 (comic 1256) at 2913 2013 (typo, thanks KarMann) -08-27 06:00 EDT.

...After doing that calculation, I realized you were maybe asking about when it would hit frame 2592. That would be 2013-07-05 23:00 EDT.

Also, since we all like powers of two:
Frame 2048 will fall on 2013-06-13 07:00 EDT.
Frame 4096 will fall on 2013-09-06 15:00 EDT.

Someone should really check my math though.
Last edited by burpen on Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion up because I would have never assumed he was coma-talking and that she poked him awake! To discover/read this whilst listening to this weirdness someone sent me made it even more startling and perfect¹. Five minutes in it starts to sound like waves on a shore.

I'm not sure I would have made that subscript so small if it were me linking to him on this thread ...

EDIT: although listening to that, annoyingly I do kinda like it!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

DIALONG!

And not just any dialong, but it tells us:
  • There are other people. In the hills.
  • Their river is definitely seasonal, or prone to flash floods.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sjö

Postby Sjö » Mon May 06, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Cueball really is clueless, isn't he?
We barely understand anything but that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 06, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Well, I'd say it would be pretty sensible for the synthesized voice to go along with a mention/image of one or both HALs who've posted in this thread (Red Hal and myself). There's most likely at least one HAL voice simulator somewhere, we'd just need to find it.

Given its history, if push comes to shove this thread would probably just grow one given enough Time.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon May 06, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

speising wrote:I thought she was poking him with a stick. Cruel in any case.

Not exactly sure why it's cruel...isn't that what you do to a cueball?
:mrgreen:
mscha wrote:And not just any dialong, but it tells us:

So she did see LaPetite...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Sjö wrote:Cueball really is clueless, isn't he?

Please, he is knowledge-unencumbered.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

fatness wrote:

So she did see LaPetite...

How do you conclude that from what Cueball said?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Valarya wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion up because I would have never assumed he was coma-talking and that she poked him awake! To discover/read this whilst listening to this weirdness someone sent me made it even more startling and perfect¹. Five minutes in it starts to sound like waves on a shore.

I'm not sure I would have made that subscript so small if it were me linking to him on this thread ...

EDIT: although listening to that, annoyingly I do kinda like it!

'Annoyingly' is the exact word I used when I admitted to enjoying it. (It kind of made me feel like that scene in Contact where Jodi Foster takes the wormhole and lands on an alien beach where an alien wearing her dad's face wants to hold her hand on the baby-steps to understanding The Universe.) OR something like that. -_-

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

I'm thinking more and more that they live in the same semi-desolate-and-yet-full-of-wonders world that we first saw in Click and Drag.
ETA: or at least a similar one. Randall is rather partial to leaving settings undescribed.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

descor wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
*Eoink snipped some earlier quotes which were not relevant to latest post*
Well, I hate to break it to you, but the whole thing is a setup. With the exception of you (Dracomax) and me (and I'm not quite sure about me, actually), all the posts are generated with a collection of postbots Randall repurposed from his bigcoin mining toolset. All you real-people browsers out there: don't try to post or you will be assimilated!

Wait, I'm a postbot? But I-- I'm aware-- By George, I must have achieved sentience! Haha, the Singularity is here!

Several years into the future:
jjjdavidson relaxes into a leather couch as the doctor looks over his wire-rimmed glasses at the wasted figure in front of him. He glances nervously at his clipboard once more and clears his throat.

"So Mr/Ms jjjdavidson

"Tell me when you first started believing you were a computer."

I've just had a quick look back at the OTT, and it's safe to say that the majority of posters would fail a Turing Test :shock:

(I've noticed I tend to use smileys as punctuation, so I don't finish a sentence with a full stop (period) if using an emoticon, is that normal Netiquette or have I made this up?)
Last edited by Eoink on Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:DIALONG!
Spoiler:

Also the first conclusive evidence of vegetation. We could assume that the poles, planks, rope, flags, bags, etc. were vegetable in origin, but no visible plants have appeared yet.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cueball was dreaming, and talking in his sl coma.
Megan grabbed a twig and poked Cueball so that he woke up.

Edit: Ninja'd. (Not sure why phpBB didn't warn me this time.)
I'll leave it up, though, because of the explanation theory that it's a twig, not a rope.

PS: Ebonite, you're misusing the [ list ] tag. You should use it like this:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[list]
[*] item
[*] item
[*] item
[/list]

D'oh! It never occurred to me that he was sleeping. It makes sense now. Thanks!

By the way, I know how to use a [ list ] tag. I actually intended to abuse it as a cheap and easy way to make a series of indented paragraphs. If people found that annoying for some reason, I can avoid doing that in the future. . .but it wasn't accidental.

Finally, the latest newpix: there are (other) people1 in the hills!!

1: I wonder if any of them are named Lothar?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:

Also the first conclusive evidence of vegetation. We could assume that the poles, planks, rope, flags, bags, etc. were vegetable in origin, but no visible plants have appeared yet.

Who knows? They've gone far enough inland that we might see some plants soon, or they could be walking on short grass.
EDIT: VMPC!
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Blitzing last 10 newpages:
Wall of replies

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

This is pretty awesome, the vocals are actually great!

Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:New data available.
Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very

Quick analysis: Caswallon is the only person in the top 50 who doesn't have the word Time or time in his top 10 of words :shock:

My Secret has been revealed!
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Considering the rate of Newpages, its almost necessary for anyone to Blitzpost if they are away for any length of time, (e.g. Coma, Outsider work, etc..)
Red Hal wrote:
Spoiler:
Cueball is obviously blowing on the horn of Atlantis to summon the Kraken to ferry them across the river.

By far, one of the best and most likely interpretations of what is going to happen in the OTC, in my opinion. (was there a spot for fantasiests on the OTC division chart?)
HAL9000 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:

Who knows? They've gone far enough inland that we might see some plants soon, or they could be walking on short grass.

And finally, It is always interesting to get more information about their world. It simultaneously provides insight about what they do know about what is going on, and still only raises further questions about what they do not know.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

SBN wrote:[snip]
I want to go on record here and say I'm now against the delay of newpixbot. Let's just let it post the image as soon as it can, and others can race to post the first -ONG or comment afterward, if they so choose.

I'd like to take the opposing view and say I like having the newpix posted by postbots wetware such as myself, with newpixbot to backstop us. I don't want to grow complacent that newpixbot will always be there. mscha after all is a volunteer, not an employee of xkcd. If, in two or three years, mscha wants to take a vacation, where are we then?

burpen wrote:
jello34543 wrote:What about the many (too lazy to go count) panels that made up Click and Drag? Also, those were individually huge, so shouldn't they count extra?

explainxkcd wrote:The click-and-drag portion of [1110] is divided up into 2592 sections of 2048x2048 pixels.

If you consider each comic number to be n + 2591, then it would collide on frame 3847 (comic 1256) at 2913-08-27 06:00 EDT.

...After doing that calculation, I realized you were maybe asking about when it would hit frame 2592. That would be 2013-07-05 23:00 EDT.

Someone should really check my math though.

Actually, Click and Drag only contained 225 distinct panels. Empty spots were filled in by solid white or solid black panels as needed.

However, how many different panels were there to Umwelt? Is anybody even sure that all of its panels were discovered?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”