1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 am UTC

vvn wrote:
edfel wrote:fork(scenario)
curious.png

That must be the way the camera arrived. It explains the length of a newpix. It's transmission delay.

pelrigg wrote:At least I'm not using Windows 3.1 on a Commodore 64 with dial-up.......

You got Windows 3.1 running on a Commodore 64? Cool. I wanna see!!

POKE 53281, 2

Haha, BASIC. GOTO footnote

footnoteThis about sums up the BASIC I know. Y'alls who used a commodore 64 are old ;)

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 12:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:So, either Cueball is too stupid to notice that Megan is all covered in sand, or too polite.

Blends right in with her skin color.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun May 12, 2013 12:40 am UTC

For Febrion
Attachments
Febrion-hat-s.png
Febrion-hat-s.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 17216 times
Febrion.png
Febrion.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 17216 times

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 am UTC

vvn wrote:
edfel wrote:fork(scenario)
curious.png

That must be the way the camera arrived. It explains the length of a newpix. It's transmission delay.

pelrigg wrote:At least I'm not using Windows 3.1 on a Commodore 64 with dial-up.......

You got Windows 3.1 running on a Commodore 64? Cool. I wanna see!!

I thought it was a typo, as I had it running on an Amiga (via a Bridgeboard) but it was dumped for a version of BSD, mostly serving as a Ghostscript and TeX driver for our printers.

mscha -- will newpixbot save the image and hexcode across the forum's being gone for extended newpix slots? (I'm fairly sure it already does, but these strange thoughts occur to me.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For Febrion

The Buffydashery is really churning them out.

You're not waving that axe at the help are you? :shock: They get breaks and all that, right?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 am UTC

htom wrote:mscha -- will newpixbot save the image and hexcode across the forum's being gone for extended newpix slots? (I'm fairly sure it already does, but these strange thoughts occur to me.)

Not sure what you mean, but the bot certainly grabs the hash and the image every newpix and stores it here ↓, no matter what the forum is doing.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 12, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Finally caught up again after a couple of days of alternating between work, bank holiday partying and comaing. Did most of the ketchup on my phone and therefore couldn't be bothered to post replies, so whatever I wanted to say about the last 20-ish pages is now lost. Anyway.

27 Apparently this stuff isn't well known in English speaking countriesψ, so click image for Google-translated article
ψ At least there's no Wikipedia article on it in English.

Edit: That's weird, in the Google-translated version of the Wikipedia article I linked to the IPA of Ytong was changed to [ tɔŋ y ː ], while it should be (and is in the original, non-translated article) [ˈyːtɔŋ]
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun May 12, 2013 1:01 am UTC

azule wrote:People On The Internet Are Wrong:
Kieryn wrote:You're welcome, Wait Watchers1.

1Has that pun been done before?
Yes. Yes it has. [sorry, spamjam, nice try.]

Uhh...I was just checking to see if you were paying attention...yeah that's it :|

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 am UTC

mscha wrote:
htom wrote:mscha -- will newpixbot save the image and hexcode across the forum's being gone for extended newpix slots? (I'm fairly sure it already does, but these strange thoughts occur to me.)

Not sure what you mean, but the bot certainly grabs the hash and the image every newpix and stores it here ↓, no matter what the forum is doing.

Since we are talking algorithms...
The general quality and reliability of the newpixbot has made me assume you have handled pretty much all eventualities. However, I am curious what is does in certain situations.
- ONG is not on time. (Specifically, more than 10 mins late.)
- ONG is over an hour late.
- There are multiple ONG's in an hour1, so the OTC can Ketchup.
- Or, multiple ONG's, just because.
- Is there any trigger that makes the bot wake you to witness the weirdness?

Edit: Based on your previous answer I am assuming that if the OTT is down, you just wait for it.

1Outside units used for relativistic clarity. (Bob's timeframe. (Not TimeFrame. (Well, maybe TimeFrame.))) NVM

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 1:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:

That's what I hoped it was doing; I was thinking it might hang, waiting for the forum to reply.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 1:19 am UTC

ggh wrote:I'm going to poke a bit here:
I agree that it's not very nice to try to impose rules on other contributers. The flip side of this, is that those blindposting want to be read, and they can't force others not to skip their posts. I think that's why PhoenixRising was looking for some input - so that posting is a contribution.

--snip--

Anyways, I guess what I'm getting to is that, I don't think that any rules should be set out for anyone (and I don't think there even needs to be any agreement - tastes vary), but if we in the (near) present got some opinions out there (in a chilled-out, constructive way, of course) as to what would make ketchup posts more inviting, firefox, more likely to be read, I bet it would be appreciated.

If it were possible to direct these dedicated individuals to the Book of Time they could post all of their comments there and link to it from the OTT. This would cause the Book to be filled, and make it easy for everyone to choose whether to read or not. Two birds, etc. Probably impractical, but a thought.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 1:26 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

Since we are talking algorithms...
The general quality and reliability of the newpixbot has made me assume you have handled pretty much all eventualities. However, I am curious what is does in certain situations.

It will probably be caught. I check at :00, :05, :15, :25, :35, :45 and :55. (But only if no newpix has been downloaded yet this hour¹.)
vvn wrote: - ONG is over an hour late.

It will catch that newpix, but perhaps not the next one, see ...
vvn wrote: - There are multiple ONG's in an hour1, so the OTC can Ketchup.

Won't be caught, since the bot will be happy as soon as a newpix has been downloaded in that hour.
vvn wrote: - Or, multiple ONG's, just because.

Won't be caught.
vvn wrote: - Is there any trigger that makes the bot wake you to witness the weirdness?

Nope. But so far, I've always been around in times of trouble (no need for Mother Megan to come to me and whisper words of wisdom)².
If something very unexpected does happen while I'm acoma, hopefully someone is around to at least keep track of image URLs, so I can complete the collection by hand the next day.

vvn wrote:Edit: Based on your previous answer I am assuming that if the OTT is down, you just wait for it.

Well, I first download the image, so I've got that, no matter what's up with the forum. After a successful download, I wait until :10 if necessary, then try to post. In case of forum problems, that might time out or hang for a long time, but that doesn't matter for my collection.

vvn wrote:1Outside units used for relativistic clarity. (Bob's timeframe. (Not TimeFrame. (Well, maybe TimeFrame.))) NVM

¹: see 1.
²: somebody needs to write this song, but not me (right now): coma time.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 am UTC

BELONGED...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 am UTC

mscha wrote:BELONGED...

-- posted by newpixbot

back after another couple days of stuff-doing and comas.
I have to say, sliding down those giant sand dunes seems very fun, unless you get sand in your hair.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 am UTC

mscha answers my questions:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:Since we are talking algorithms...

It will probably be caught. I check at :00, :05, :15, :25, :35, :45 and :55. (But only if no newpix has been downloaded yet this hour¹.)

Won't be caught, since the bot will be happy as soon as a newpix has been downloaded in that hour.

Won't be caught.
vvn wrote: - Is there any trigger that makes the bot wake you to witness the weirdness?

Nope. But so far, I've always been around in times of trouble (no need for Mother Megan to come to me and whisper words of wisdom)².
If something very unexpected does happen while I'm acoma, hopefully someone is around to at least keep track of image URLs, so I can complete the collection by hand the next day.

vvn wrote:Edit: Based on your previous answer I am assuming that if the OTT is down, you just wait for it.

Well, I first download the image, so I've got that, no matter what's up with the forum. After a successful download, I wait until :10 if necessary, then try to post. In case of forum problems, that might time out or hang for a long time, but that doesn't matter for my collection.

vvn wrote:1Outside units used for relativistic clarity. (Bob's timeframe. (Not TimeFrame. (Well, maybe TimeFrame.))) NVM

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. Sounds like you handle all likely situations. And, since some of the less likely scenarios would require us to crash some servers just to test the bot....I guess we can let it go. :)
And again, nice work.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Time for an early coma, though I'll most likely be back later tonight. I've been having trouble sleeping, don't know why.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 am UTC

*insert noise here*

Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Time for an early coma, though I'll most likely be back later tonight. I've been having trouble sleeping, don't know why.

You're not the only one. I finally decided to try and coma around 5am local last night, to no avail. Ended up coming back to this thread on my phone. (Couldn't ONG though. Anyone know a way to get the hashes on a mobile browser?)
He/Him/His Image

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 am UTC

vvn wrote:mscha answers my questions:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:Since we are talking algorithms...

Won't be caught.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. Sounds like you handle all likely situations. And, since some of the less likely scenarios would require us to crash some servers just to test the bot....I guess we can let it go. :)
And again, nice work.

The part of me that doesn't trust backups until they've been used to do restores wants newpixbot to look for a newpix every fifteen or twenty minutes after finding a newpix ... but that's approaching paranoia. Excellent work, mscha.

HAL9000 wrote:Time for an early coma, though I'll most likely be back later tonight. I've been having trouble sleeping, don't know why.
I'm going to coma early, too; I'm having trouble staying awake, and suspect it's too much here and not enough coma.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 am UTC

I can't wait to see what sort of jump is attempted at the next crest of these dunes1. I demand back flips.
1 which are bigger than they looked

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 am UTC

htom wrote:The part of me that doesn't trust backups until they've been used to do restores wants newpixbot to look for a newpix every fifteen or twenty minutes after finding a newpix ... but that's approaching paranoia. Excellent work, mscha.

I totally understand this feeling. I have seen MANY times that backup tapes have nothing on them. It really sucks when you have to explain to a small business owner that all of their sales data is gone. I have had much better results backing up to a hard drive on another machine. More reliable, and more testable.
I might be tempted to hit the server every minute, and add to the database whenever there is a change. Post anything not seen yet at xx:10. But, as you say, paranoia/OCD.

P.S. I'd probably want to hit the server every so often to check for changed images. <paranoia> Then diff and image compare to identify header/compression/image changes. </paranoia> This is of course with infinite Time/resources to fiddle with scripts, lex, yacc, etc., and nothing to do but amuse myself.
P.P.S. My ramblings should not be taken as a critique of mscha's excellent work, which has been 100% reliable. Just assume I have mental problems that can not be fixed, even by professionals.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 am UTC

To the tune of Let it Be by the Beatles
Spoiler:
When I find myself in Times of trouble, Mother
Megan comes to me
Falling down the hillside, wait for it
And in our Time of climbing she is falling right in front of me

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it

And when the heretics declare that they will no longer believe
For though we know so little, there is still a chance that we may see
We shall find the answer, wait for it

(instrumental )

And when the Cuegan starts to falter we still know that Time is good
Bear it till tomorrow, wait for it
We wake up to an obsession, Mother Megan comes to me

Sliding down the hillside, wait for it

I tried to record myself singing (from my iPhone) but couldn't get it on my 'puter to upload)

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 am UTC

And on this ONG, I coma
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 am UTC

currently playing Isaac. Screw the R(O)NG
edit: ninja'd. now back to krampus

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:. Y'alls who used a commodore 64 are old ;)[/size]

Not only did I use one, but it was my second computer.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 am UTC

htom wrote:"Run" with "rise" should always be the two sides of a right triangle, the hypotenuse being called the length or distance (or sometimes and bizarrely ) the slope.
Correct. But should isn't is, and when the horizontal distance is much harder to measure than the track length (and the difference is small enough), I'll bet they take the shortcut.

htom wrote:We frequently (in the USA) seem to have building codes that allow for "fast" stairs, which are dangerous. Part of this is that some codes allow for the tread that is under the tread above to be considered part of the "minimum", but that part of the step is not available to someone coming down the stair.
It's like DSL. Much faster in one direction than the other.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

Yes, ChronosDragon. And it amuses us that the Arduino running my basement fan is faster than the machine made available to the student body, with dozens of terminals/users, when I was in school. The programming problems were totally different than today. Imagine the world when you are my age.
Last edited by vvn on Sun May 12, 2013 4:18 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:16 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:To the tune of Let it Be by the Beatles

wait for it, wait for iiiiitttt, wait for iit, wait for it. I couldn't sleep anyway, wait for iiittt

If when this is sill going in a month's time [/heresy], I might have recovered enough brain function to join in the creativity. Until then, I shall lie awake enjoying the gifts of others

vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

Yes, ChronosDragon. And it amuses us that the Arduino running my basement fan is faster than the machine made available to the student body, with dozens of terminals/users, when I was in school. The programming problems were totally different than today. Imagine the world when you are my age.

The small slab in my pocket has more processing power than the Apollo craft... I am both excited and terrified for the world when I am "your age" and beyond
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Spoiler:
HES wrote:
buffygirl wrote:To the tune of Let it Be by the Beatles

vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

The small slab in my pocket has more processing power than the Apollo craft... I am both excited and terrified for the world when I am "your age" and beyond

Is that a slab in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 am UTC

ergman wrote:Is that a slab in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

It lights up, vibrates and makes noises. Should I see a doctor? :?
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:31 am UTC

HES wrote:

yes... *cough*
/me puts on lab coat nonchalantly
What seems to be the problem?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 am UTC

ergman wrote:
HES wrote:

yes... *cough*
/me puts on lab coat nonchalantly
What seems to be the problem?

A virus?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 am UTC

ergman wrote:What seems to be the problem?

I seem to have a 1960's spacecraft in my trousers

wait for it, that's not right...
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:42 am UTC

HES wrote:
ergman wrote:What seems to be the problem?

I seem to have a 1960's spacecraft in my trousers

wait for it, that's not right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_dogs Knowledge is power!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Lesson learnong

Edit
And I logged in after the hour and ong-ed first? Inconceivable!!!
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Lesson learnong

Edit
And I logged in and ong-ed first? Inconceivable!!!

I do not think that word means what you think it means. :P

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 am UTC

I realize it's been slow lately, but I didn't think I'd be able to save the newpic to my computer, come back here, see it's not posted, log in and post the Ong...

Have you, perchance seen a six-fingered man around here?

And buffygirl, nice song.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For azule

Thank you. :D *wears* I like it!

mittfh wrote:Must. Resist. Googling. "Mountain Songs".

Uh, Mountain Song by Jane's Addiction. :(

SBN wrote:I thought 24 Newpix make a xip?

Oh, yeah. :oops: *hopes no one looks back in history*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 12, 2013 5:25 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

It's hard to predict the future. We expected AI, flying cars, a moon colony and mars expeditions. We got the Internet, global warming and the fall of the Berlin wall. (My generation will take the fall for global warming, But, Facebook is on you youngin's.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”