1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 14, 2013 12:52 am UTC

HES wrote:
azule wrote:Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?

Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)

Lemme guess: "Elting" ?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Cadellin wrote:
Yeah, sorry I had to take the link out because of the spam filter. But yeah; by all means. I'm currently doing some 3D animations for another film actually.

Theoretically, someone could write a MEL script that created a polygon plane; with the height of each vertex determined by the elevation of land in the corresponding frame. Sadly I have only a very limited knowledge of MEL. Edit: Oh and you would need to crop the one pixel border from the image too.

Heh...scripts. That would be the smart way to do it. Manually tracing all 25 or so frames might be considered a waste of Time, to some...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 am UTC

bettONG:
Spoiler:

HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 am UTC

My wife and I couldn't walk in near-silence like this if our lives depended on it.

Maybe it's implied that they are making chit-chat but we don't get to see everything they say?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

There is no ong

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

There is no ong
Spoiler:

Check again.

Someguy945 wrote:My wife and I couldn't walk in near-silence like this if our lives depended on it.

Maybe it's implied that they are making chit-chat but we don't get to see everything they say?

More likely, they both know that they've got a long ways to go. But your theory could be true.
EDIT for the BBcode goodness.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

There is no ong
Spoiler:

Check again.

Someguy945 wrote:My wife and I couldn't walk in near-silence like this if our lives depended on it.

More likely, they both know that they've got a long ways to go. But your theory could be true.
EDIT for the BBcode goodness.

Hey! You can't edit your ong in! That's cheating!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

There is no ong
Spoiler:

Check again.
<snip>

Hey! You can't edit your ong in! That's cheating!

Well, it had already been a few minutes since the comic updated, and I usually have trouble coming up with an ONG immediately.

jowo

Postby jowo » Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 am UTC

mscha wrote:While nothing much is happening in the OTC, why don't we compare first OTT posts?

My first contribution, such as it was, occurred on page 58 of the OTT, Day 3, NP 128 I think (nothing was changing much), during the Slow Pixel age, just after the glimpse into the future:

jowo wrote:Another long-time forum reader de-lurks....

So glad I'm retired. Wait for it.

I'd seen the first NP, just after midnight on Day 1; checked the forum a few hours later to see if anyone understood such an obscure comic and discovered on my way in that the image had changed.

I don't talk much around here, but I'm sure enjoying everyone else. Thanks. Still glad I'm retired; this thread's a time sink.
It's about Time....

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 am UTC

jowo wrote:I don't talk much around here, but I'm sure enjoying everyone else. Thanks. Still glad I'm retired; this thread's a time sink.

Indeed it is. High school is being annoying and taking up too much of my time.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 am UTC

So, as everyone is looking back at Time, so do I.
My first post was at NewPage 14 (in fact, I'm that page's Pope), what makes me one of the oldest users still active, after azule, BytEfLUSh and KarMann. So,

All hail the Elders!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 am UTC

slinches wrote:
htom wrote:
slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.

It has been said at least once by me, but deserves repeating ad infinitum. :D

Yes. The only question I have is are you being weighed, or going for a carnival ride?

I'm being weighed, of course. I'm a slug! :mrgreen:

Edited to respond in first person

Sorry, I thought slinches were blobs. Which can still be weighed and go for carnival rides.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 14, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Mini ketchup with a splash of sirracha and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper...

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.

Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.

I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
I thank you StratPlayer. It has come to pass that my co-workers now truly believe me insane for I could not but laugh hysterically whilst at my desk. :mrgreen:

You're welcome. If I can elicit some hysterical laughter at an inappropriate time AND start a cascade of bad puns, then I have to consider it a pretty successful post. :wink:

HES wrote:To the tune of "Madness" by muse

"And now I need to know is this worth our Time,
Or is it just madness keeping us afloat?"

Very nice! I love those two lines. :D

azule wrote:StratPlayer, good as always.

htom wrote:Stratplayer That was poetry you committed there, don't try to hide it.

buffygirl wrote:This is fabulous!!!

jjjdavidson wrote:StratPlayer, I haven't said nearly often enough - maybe never - how marvelous your verses are. I keep coming back to "Mad Randallville" almost as often as "Boom de yada." And this poem has an elegance that I very much enjoy.

Well, thank you all very much -- you're too kind! I really appreciate it. But, um... you realize what this means don't you? You're just going to encourage me to create more... :wink:

Oh, and old computers again: OK, legit answer -- I didn't get first real computer until the mid 1980's. Before that I just hung out on the school's mainframe (Moria on the VAX, anyone?) But the first one I bought myself was one of the original Macs, upgraded to 512k, then later upgraded to the double-sided floppy drive, and then later I added an external GIGANTIC 10 Meg hard drive. The original Macs just had the floppy. Why would you EVER need more storage than can fit on a floppy disk???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 14, 2013 2:00 am UTC

I'm fortunate enough to be married to someone that I can converse at length with, but can also be very comfortable in silence with. It's a good system.

RobIrr wrote:*caught up* blinks at the fading daylight with rectangular blobs floating in my eyes...

My first post (on this needle-pulled thing) was on page 196 ...but

RobIrr wrote:Phew ... <delurk> started reading this thread when it was "only" 70-odd pages long. Finally reached the end.

I spent ages looking for something meaningful in the image before I thought to check the forum, and found you all in full flow. I've not encountered The Madness before... You've had some fun!

</delurk>

You Blitzgirled before there even was such a thing.
My own first post was NP 24, and I am still active, but have spent the last few days far Outside.
SBN wrote:
Beatrice The Golden wrote:
ugmhemhe wrote:I bet it's snow LOL (or I wish it was, or I'm hoping it is haha)

Sorry, they wouldn't be lying on it and wouldn't be checking the temperature of water.

It can be snow, and snow angels, and checking ice thickness.

Loving the comic and the thread enough to sign up just to join the club.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 am UTC

TREEONG
Selecting new quote…

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 am UTC

HAL9000
Yes, my hat is a monolith.

HAL, do I remember correctly that this used to be followed by "now shush"??? If so - please put it back - unless it was part of some shushing war? It was one of my favorite things on the OTT.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:TREEONG
Spoiler:

A tree! A tree! I don't know why I'm so excited about a small piece of deciduous (or is that coniferous?) vegetation!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 am UTC

I think so. Even if not chit-chat, I think there must be dialogue we don't see. It seems unlikely they could have constructed such an elaborate sandcastle-with-timber-superstructure without a single "hand me that thing would you?" or "where does this bit go?".

Same for the landscape in general - I don't think we can assume that what we are seeing is all there is. They are stick figures after all. It's not photorealism.

However I would have made that same argument regarding vegetation a week or so ago... but the fact that it is being clearly rendered now does seem to imply that there just wasn't any before...

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 am UTC

I hope they decorate it at least.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Almost caught up. Sprinted a good 5-6 Newpages; this goes through the start of 604/609.

@waveney, @Ace: threw firstpost forward. (Yeah, someone ninja'd me, but the ninjafirstpostthrow got very little attention either)
@lmjb1964: re: leaving the OTT
@pelrigg/AluisioASG: re: time vortexes for sending messages to the Past
@ucim/Flado: re: BlitzGirl the Next coronation ceremony
@buffygirl: re: hats (WOO!)
@ChronosDragon: re: AP tests

Spoiler:
P. 598/609. A bird?? After all this time with no birds, no cats, no lifeforms? I sense a new Period forming!

waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

*throws forward firstpost* From the first Newpix I thought it was a seagull, but the second reminds me strongly of the turkey buzzards or whatever you call 'em I occasionally see around here. I hope waveney is wrong, but Iunno...

Ace wrote:Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

As far as I can tell (having just seen your post) I'm the first to read it. *throws it forward* The OTC seems to be one massive nerd-snipe where nothing is quite as it seems. Or it could be the Matrix, which has a similar property. But I'm in favor of the nerd-snipe.

lmjb1964 wrote:PhoenixRising, don't leave us! Stay strong!

The phoenix...
rises!

(That totally would've been cooler if I could've figured out how to do the sunglasses thing. But ketchup is more important!)

But really, after all the encouragement you guys have given me after I posted that, and an official blessing of ketchup walls from BlitzGirl (among many others), I think I'm good. Racing toward the Present again now.

AluisioASG wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<can't say it to you (RIP), so I'll say it here>

Maybe we could open a time vortex so you could do it personally.
(Just don't tell the Inquisition about it; they hate past-changing time-travel.)

D'awww. I know the feels (thankfully not personally yet), and as such I would 100% support such a vortex. And I will happily defy the Inquisition to do so. They can dunk me in chocolate for both of you, too.

ucim wrote:
first cleric wrote:How could you have done this?? A Contradiction blessing a Paradox! It is heresy!

the Pope wrote:Heresy, you say? Look up in the sky and tell me what sign you see?

first cleric wrote:It is a bird, your pontiffness.

the Pope wrote:Yes, a bird. And out of that bird comes enlightenment. Continue to look up, close your eyes, and wait for it.

He didn't have to wait long.

:lol:

Magnificent ceremony (well done, Flado, and welcome to the Present!), and that is probably the best finish ever. Also love the new definition of enlightenment.

buffygirl wrote:For slinches.

Dat image-magic. I dunno how you do it.

buffygirl wrote:For PhoenixRising

Yay! :D I love it, thank you so much! It's practically glowing with fire!

ChronosDragon wrote:Coma time! Big AP test tomorrow, after which I'll have more free time (to work on *cough* certain boom-de-yada related projects)

Ah, the APs. So much fun (can be taken either literally or sarcastically depending on how the test goes. Usually both.) Best of luck with yours!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:20 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
HAL9000

HAL, do I remember correctly that this used to be followed by "now shush"??? If so - please put it back - unless it was part of some shushing war? It was one of my favorite things on the OTT.

Thanks for pointing that out! I must have gotten rid of it accidentally when I turned the quotes into an image to make room for my message of reassurance for Blitzers. It's good to know that I can do things that people appreciate.

Spoiler:

Looks like some sort of shrub, not quite a tree. Maybe it'll start on fire and talk to them or something.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

A tree! A tree! I don't know why I'm so excited about a small piece of deciduous (or is that coniferous?) vegetation!

[heresy] Because it and the bird are basically the only interesting thing that have happened to M & C since they left the river. [/heresy]
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Tue May 14, 2013 2:33 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
Yeah, sorry I had to take the link out because of the spam filter. But yeah; by all means. I'm currently doing some 3D animations for another film actually.

Theoretically, someone could write a MEL script that created a polygon plane; with the height of each vertex determined by the elevation of land in the corresponding frame. Sadly I have only a very limited knowledge of MEL. Edit: Oh and you would need to crop the one pixel border from the image too.

Heh...scripts. That would be the smart way to do it. Manually tracing all 25 or so frames might be considered a waste of Time, to some...

Well, I guess it does fill the Time. Is that Maya by the way? I've been building cities in it all week.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 14, 2013 2:35 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, as everyone is looking back at Time, so do I.
My first post was at NewPage 14 (in fact, I'm that page's Pope), what makes me one of the oldest users still active, after azule, BytEfLUSh and KarMann. So,

All hail the Elders!

Not counting those who hail from the land before Time 8-)

Yay a tree! :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:35 am UTC

I am surprised how often it appears something is about to happen, and then does not.

The discover sliding... nothing is said. Megan falls down... Cueball must surely say something... no. A bird? No. A tree? I bet they just walk right past it speechless.

At least it seems like they're going somewhere... But when?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 2:51 am UTC

htom wrote:
slinches wrote:
htom wrote:
slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.

It has been said at least once by me, but deserves repeating ad infinitum. :D

Yes. The only question I have is are you being weighed, or going for a carnival ride?

I'm being weighed, of course. I'm a slug! :mrgreen:

Edited to respond in first person

Sorry, I thought slinches were blobs. Which can still be weighed and go for carnival rides.

You're right it goes by both names, but I doubt they'd let a whole slinch/blob on most carnival rides. It weighs 386 lbs!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

All hail the Elders!

Not counting those heretics that believe in such a thing as "before Time" 8-)

FTFY
Selecting new quote…

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000

Thanks for pointing that out! I must have gotten rid of it accidentally when I turned the quotes into an image to make room for my message of reassurance for Blitzers. It's good to know that I can do things that people appreciate.

Spoiler:

Looks like some sort of shrub, not quite a tree. Maybe it'll start on fire and talk to them or something.

If they're still in the sonoran desert, it's likely a creosote bush. I'd rather not be around any of those when they're burning.

Although from the silhouette, it could be a jumping cholla or small Joshua tree as well.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:

Spoiler:

Well, I guess it does fill the Time. Is that Maya by the way? I've been building cities in it all week.

Yes indeed. I've been using it ever since I learned that 1) Valve developers use it to build their games and 2) I could get a free student version :D That makes it sound like it's been some amount of time, which I suppose it has, but the extent of my use has been essentially limited to following various tutorials I found online to become familiar with it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 am UTC

System.out.println(letters[rand.nextInt(26)] + "ong");

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Tue May 14, 2013 3:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:

Spoiler:

Yes indeed. I've been using it ever since I learned that 1) Valve developers use it to build their games and 2) I could get a free student version :D That makes it sound like it's been some amount of time, which I suppose it has, but the extent of my use has been essentially limited to following various tutorials I found online to become familiar with it.

Precisely how I started; I have a student version myself although I started out on 3DS Max back in 2008.
I guess the one problem we have with lack of data is that we don't know how far apart these slices are meant to be. Is there any kind of perspective with Cuegan getting smaller? We might be able to use Cueball's head as a guide.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Chapter 3
The first cleric wiped the bird's enlightenment off of his face, and fuming, went up to the Pope. "It is heresy! That... bird is a heresy! This celebration is a heresy! Your Popeness is a heresy!". He went on in this manner until he had run out of things to be heretical about, and then collapsed on the ground sobbing, for he realized what the Pope did not. Flado, who had just been crowned as a BlitzGirl the Next, was in fact still stuck in Time. This could mean only one thing - that the Undisputed Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church was not really retired.
Spoiler:
A True Paradox was now wearing the crown of a BlitzGirl. Something had to be done, and if the Pope wasn't going to do it, the task would fall upon he himself. He, the first cleric, was going to have to become First Cleric, whereupon he would... he would... definitely... do something.

The enormity of the task overwhelmed him, for all of BlitzGirlhood depended on it. You simply must complete the Quest to be a BlitzGirl.

The Pope knelt down next to the first cleric, and he asked the Pope, "Am I the first cleric?". The Pope replied gently, "No. There have been clerics before you, and there shall be clerics after you". His face brightened. "Then I must be the First Cleric".

"Yes", said the Pope, "the Order of the Holy Contradiction requires it." The First Cleric conveniently agreed with this reasoning. "Now tell me", the Pope continued, "what it is that is bothering you so."

It was a trap.

If the First Cleric pointed out the inconsistency in naming a BlitzGirl who had not completed his Quest, the Pope would simply respond that it was the perfect reason to crown a BlitzGirl. This is just Contradiction 101 - he wasn't going to fall for it. He was going to have to draw the Pope out first. "I am seeking enlightenment", he began, and not without some trepidation.

The Pope bade the First Cleric to follow him, and the two of them started back up the the hill, where the ceremony had just taken place. Most of the people had gone, and the sun was setting, its rays glinting off the sea, which was visible in the distance. They could see part of the river from this vantage point too, but it disappeared behind the hillside, and they could not see where it rejoined the sea. He knew it did however. "What are the ways of the sea?" asked the Pope. "Bah!" thought the First Cleric. He recognized the Socratic method - the Pope was trying to get him to think, and he didn't like it.

Of course he knew the answer; everyone did. He also knew the Pope knew that he knew. It was some kind of test, but of what? Two could play that game. "What are the ways of the River?" asked the Cleric in reply. That he did not know. The Pope replied, "The river does what it must, so the sea can do what it wants". He should have left it at that - pithy, deep, mysterious. But he continued, "Yonder, behind that hill, we cannot see it, for we are but small creatures, but the river must continue straight to reach the sea", and right after he said that, there was a whoosh, as if from the sea, but the sea was as it always was.

Appropriately enough, the First Cleric saw it first. This wasn't the kind of enlightenment he was hoping for. The Pope saw it next, as it flew past the hillsides, between them and the river. Encouraged by this sign, the Pope continued, "You have your ways, I have my ways, and the One True Comic has its ways." The First Cleric replied, "Should they not be the same ways?" The Pope thought for a moment, but did not speak. The First Cleric had a point - they should of course be the same ways. But they do not go the same way.

"What is the way of the One True Comic right now?", asked the Pope. "What are they trying to do?"

"Easy - they are trying to cross the stream" replied the First Cleric, and suddenly he realized what he had just said. The look of horror on the his face was more priceless than the American Express card. There was something... something he didn't even know he knew, that he knew. Whatever happens, we cannot cross the streams.

But there was no other way. It is the way of the One True Comic, so it must also be our way. The Holy Contradiction and the Western Paradox had to be crossed, and this evening, with great fanfare and symbolism, the streams had been crossed, in fulfillment of prophesy. "But what of Flado?" asked the First Cleric. "He is stuck in Time with a title that is out of time." The Pope replied, "Like all of us, he'll just have to Wait For It.".

The First Cleric bowed to the Pope. He had his enlightenment. But he had a little bit more enlightenment than he had bargained for. "Are you sure that river goes straight?", he asked the Pope. The Pope looked upwards, and as he contemplated the bird flying overhead, his face suddenly turned white.

He had made rectilinear assumptions.
Jose
<--previous (NP 600) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 626)-->
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Finally back to the Present! Woo! And there's a tree? Maybe they're leaving the dunes for someplace a little friendlier (a forest, or at least someplace with grass).

Their jumping on the dunes reminded me of how tough the sandcastles were. I'm not familiar with the properties of sand dunes, but I would've expected more than just a little dent if a person leaped on one as hard as Megan appeared to (that first jump appeared to have her slam her feet down, not to mention her fall). Something seems off about the sand in general in this world. Assuming it's actually sand ofc.

@virtually every active person here re: F1RST P0ST
@StratPlayer re: pogeeketry
@ergman re: ketchuping
@apsmith re: finding posts
@buffygirl/lgw re: hat

Spoiler:
(A bunch of you reposted your first posts, so I'm going to join you!)

Here's my first post (dang, I'm old in OTT terms. My FP is from page 30!):
PhoenixRising wrote:Just like so many others, longtime reader (probably almost 2 years now) but first-time poster here. Well played, Randall, this probably sets some kind of record for most long-time visitors hauled out of lurking in a single day.

I don't think there's any personal message being told here, just a contemplative afternoon in slow motion, but it's truly an amazing thing. I love the idea, I love the little updates, and I love the zen moment in this crazy world. (Not unlike #1024!) Your work has always been awesome, Randall, but this promises to be one of my all-time favorites.

Also mad props to all of you guys who've been so busy on the forums. Since I'm on my phone I've not been able to work with either the 30m updates or the auto-updating gifs, so I greatly appreciate everyone posting the individual frames as Randall updates the comic. The reactions and speculation have been a priceless addition to the comic as well; I don't think I've laughed and nearly cried so many times in one day before. And the references. So many references. I think xkcd is entirely self-referential now; can we import soul and finish making it sentient now?

No matter what happens in the next few hours (ooh, another 30m mark passed, maybe there's another image up?!?) this is truly a special comic to remember. Thanks all!

Hmm. So much of this has been rendered inaccurate (I no longer watch off my phone because I can't reply to the OTT properly, the zen moment has given way to a huge story, the little updates have become an ONG competition complete with bot, and "the next few hours" have become over a month) yet the important parts are still intact.

My second post was a little better in the accuracy department. You guys are still crazy, I still love you, there is still not enough room in my sig (over 200 quotes in the wiki and counting!), sleep coma is still an unknown thing around here, and the Outside still can't handle the awesomeness.

StratPlayer wrote:How about a little pogeeketry?

That's sorta like poetry but from a basis of setting up an artificial construct, and then letting the art fall where it may (or not at all).

In this case, I came up with something that's four stanza of eight words with an ABAB rhyme scheme, where each line has nine syllables, and where the two-syllable word always is in the second spot of each line:
<snip>

Very nice!

StratPlayer wrote:You might notice some familiar words... Let me highlight them:

...WOW. Well done!

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.

Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.

This reminds me of something I once read about Angry Birds, of all things. The general idea was that the pigs are the ideal peaceful resisters; the birds hurl themselves at the pigs, blow up the pigs, do all manner of nonsense to the pigs, but the pigs just sit there and take it. Eventually, the author concluded, the pigs would win.

As StratPlayer would say, it's all related. *nods head slowly*

ergman wrote:ketchuping is a futile task, only the mad would attempt it

Right on both counts. :mrgreen: #seewhatididthere

Also, your post felt like poetry. Good poetry. I like it.

apsmith wrote:My first (and only till now) post was on p. 2271:1. and may I say this was tough to find, I had to resort to Google!

In case nobody's mentioned it yet, you can get a list of everything you've posted through the User Control Panel at the top of the page.

buffygirl wrote:
lgw wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote: [stuff - with a new hat!]

Yours is the one hatted Avatar I didn't quite figure out - all of BuffyGirl's creations are so awesome, but this one went over my head. An .. egg?

Hmm, I should make myself some sort of avatar, now that I think about it.

He's a Phoenix, which is a bird, and birds come from eggs, and the Phoenix is about to burst out of it! See?

A Phoenix egg. :mrgreen: Truly a phoenix rising. The more I look at my new avvy the more I like it.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

All hail the Elders!

Well, I'm one of those too, so no matter how you slice it . . . .
(Though I'm a couple of years newer than you, it seems.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Oh no, not the rectilinear assumptions! :shock: So that's where the sparrow-raptor popped out from...

Ketchup blitzing!
*sound of a whoosh, as if the Sea were rising, but the Sea is where it always is, and is still big*

Mentioned/quoted thread-dwellers:
StratPlayer, HES, Vytron, PhoenixRising

Spoiler:
StratPlayer, That was totally poetry! Time-tacular poetry! :D And HES, that was music to my ears!

Vytron wrote:Also, I haven't seen this before, it seems BlitzGirl is also Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First, Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First the First?, if my recursion of the title is correct.
Whoa, I feel dizzy...

PhoenixRising wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:<snipped ChronosDragon quote>
Just a boy and his hawk. Technically there's a town too, but I don't think that counts as actually in the hills for the purposes of this discussion.
Weird. There's one of those on my side of the mountain, too.
Mission accomplished: reference gotten. :D (FWIW, ChronosDragon's original question wasn't directed towards me, but someone who lived in the Catskills. I couldn't resist the opportunity but wasn't sure how many would get the reference.)
:mrgreen: (This reference is even awesomer since the appearance of the sparrow-raptor in the OTC!)

StratPlayer wrote:And meanwhile... I popped in over at the thread about the discussions on today's comic. Hmmmm.... All I gotta say is that their jokes aren't nearly as funny as ours here in the OTT. :D

There seemed to be a lot of pontificating and postulating and posturing about ultimately arbitrary lines of division along the spectrum of evolutionary development and diversification.

It was kinda like watching a bunch of cantankerous old geezers standing around on a beach arguing about which grains of sand are IN the ocean and which grains of sand are OUT of the ocean. At some point, they're both right and both wrong, but the sand and the water probably don't give a damn either way.
The Sea is big (and does whatever it wants). :wink:

It seems to me that most of the Other Threads are populated by know-it-alls constantly strutting their stuff (and I should know, as one of my titles is Big KnowItAll). We may be know-it-alls here, too, but at least we are humbled by the knowledge that to follow Time means we all must Wait for it together, not knowing what surprises will be shown to us in the future of Time.

Oh, and my firstpost in this needle-pulled thing, newpage 214, before my signposting:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:It be an river!!!

Time is a river.

ETA: I didn't know you were a tree, KarMann! Are you at least a hat-tree?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 14, 2013 3:57 am UTC

A SURPRISE for k.bookbinder, as suggested by Kieryn long ago on page 567.
Attachments
k.bookbinder-hat-s.png
k.bookbinder-hat-s.png (37.34 KiB) Viewed 14603 times
k.bookbinder.jpeg
k.bookbinder.jpeg (2.84 KiB) Viewed 14603 times

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Megan looks at the tree-ONG

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: I didn't know you were a tree, KarMann! Are you at least a hat-tree?

As it happens, I do have a coat-and-hat stand recently, but, umm, no, that's not quite what I meant. :oops: Must be the old-timers' disease getting to me.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 14, 2013 4:16 am UTC

So does that mean that the script I'm using to turn heretic dates into newpix is heretical because it puts forum join dates into newpix B.T.?

[edit] Woo, Pope! Page 610!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue May 14, 2013 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Tue May 14, 2013 4:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

All hail the Elders!

Well, I'm one of those too, so no matter how you slice it . . . .
(Though I'm a couple of years newer than you, it seems.)

My first post was actually back on page 210, when I posted about the T shirt requests.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”