1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.

Wow, talk about the multiverse... there could be a whole universe where molpies are known as folpies... Eeeeew! *shudders*

Or even known as squirrels.

Now you're talking crazy talk.

or should that be - Now you're talking crazy talk, bub.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.

Wow, talk about the multiverse... there could be a whole universe where molpies are known as folpies... Eeeeew! *shudders*

Or even known as squirrels.

Now you're talking crazy talk.

or should that be - Now you're talking crazy talk, bub.

Or perhaps there may yet be Molpies/Squirpies on Mars. I present the proof.

edit: fixed spelling
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Except the sea1 is 1 and the river2 is 2. But in the OTC frame 563, the river was mentioned before the sea. I suppose it's way too late to fix that now, mscha?[/spoiler]

Umm... Image
The line goes from Megan's head to “The sea is big.”, then to “The river is small.”?
Anyway, much too late to fix, yes. I'm not going to go back and edit all my old signature-referring footnotes. But feel free to declare a competing standard where ¹ is small and ² is big. Image

Edit: Yay, our one true Milliner is back!
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, shadows! That also implies that Megan and Cueball do see more shades than we do.

Here is our view of Cueball's shadow (from above):
Spoiler:

This has me thinking about what kind of shadows stick figures can leave. Certainly their big round heads can leave big round shadows, but what exactly can you do with stick-shaped arms? The fact that they can cast a shadow implies that the lines that make up their arms, legs, and torsos have definite and measurable width.

Note that the fact that they can cast shadows should also eliminate any remaining ambiguity about whether their world is 2D or 3D.

A more important observation is that all of the other objects - sandcastle parts, trees, molpys, beesnakes, buckets, trebuchets - clearly have multiple dimensions and can leave shadows. Why, then, are people the only stick-figured entities in the world? Why aren't Cueball and Megan encountering stick-figured squirrels and stick-figured birds in their world? <dons armor in anticipation of being stoned as heretic>

Because Randall said somewhere that although he was a good drawer, he wasn't a good cupboardpeople drawer.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Except the sea1 is 1 and the river2 is 2. But in the OTC frame 563, the river was mentioned before the sea. I suppose it's way too late to fix that now, mscha?[/spoiler]

Umm... Image
The line goes from Megan's head to “The sea is big.”, then to “The river is small.”?
Anyway, much too late to fix, yes. I'm not going to go back and edit all my old signature-referring footnotes. But feel free to declare a competing standard where ¹ is small and ² is big. Image

Declared. This new standard as yet has only a handful1 of members, but one day we will be 2.
Nah, this would get confusing. I don't use any footnotes very often anyways, let alone the OTC-related set.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Much thanks to patzer for his assistance in wiki maintenance!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

doctorray

Postby doctorray » Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)
Last edited by doctorray on Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Whew. 6 days in the Outside and 30+ NPs to condiment, but I did it.

So.. hey guys. :)

yayay a recursive cupcake. I so need a cupcake on my cupcake. *famished*

Dracomax wrote:On math

Honestly, I hated math because of this and rote memorization. Nobody could/would explain the Pythagorean theorem to me(why it works, not how) until I was in Highschool, and by then I had lost interest. They either told me that I'd learn it in a later course(lies and slander, all later courses did was go over the same stuff every year) or that it just was that way.
I think it must be that those teachers didn't know why. I asked a similar question (in high school) with a similar response. I, on the other hand, didn't give up my interest in math. I try to find the reason for things (not just mathwise) throughout my life. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed May 29, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, shadows! That also implies that Megan and Cueball do see more shades than we do.

Here is our view of Cueball's shadow (from above):
Spoiler:

This has me thinking about what kind of shadows stick figures can leave. Certainly their big round heads can leave big round shadows, but what exactly can you do with stick-shaped arms? The fact that they can cast a shadow implies that the lines that make up their arms, legs, and torsos have definite and measurable width.

Note that the fact that they can cast shadows should also eliminate any remaining ambiguity about whether their world is 2D or 3D.

A more important observation is that all of the other objects - sandcastle parts, trees, molpys, beesnakes, buckets, trebuchets - clearly have multiple dimensions and can leave shadows. Why, then, are people the only stick-figured entities in the world? Why aren't Cueball and Megan encountering stick-figured squirrels and stick-figured birds in their world? <dons armor in anticipation of being stoned as heretic>

Because Randall said somewhere that although he was a good drawer, he wasn't a good cupboardpeople drawer.

But that's an Outsider's perspective. What's the explanation within the context of the OTC? What is the reason for Cueball and Megan's understanding that they're the only things in their world shaped like sticks?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

two in a rONG?
ETA: yes.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Exodies wrote:Because Randall said somewhere that although he was a good drawer, he wasn't a good cupboardpeople drawer.

But that's an Outsider's perspective. What's the explanation within the context of the OTC? What is the reason for Cueball and Megan's understanding that they're the only things in their world shaped like sticks?

Not sure they'd have that understanding. In their world, they are people shaped. If they give it a thought at all, it's probably used as proof of people being better than other things.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

I'm Ketched up! AND it's my 600th post! AND it's the first time I actually noticed I was at a milemarker post number. WOOT!

Spoiler:
um ... stigma stamen boobies....

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

uaeio wrote:Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?
<snip>

It turns out that the problem is harder than it seems, even in the outside world.
[Warning. Warning. Warning. Warning. Warning. Old codger story follows. ]

Back in the old days they wanted to know how high Mt. Everest is (was. It changes.) No gps, no satellites, just measuring angles from a location at a known altitude. But here's the rub. It is very remote. It took a month or more just to walk in to base camp then, over very uneven ground. So how do you get "a location at a known altitude" from which to do the triangulation? Step by step, of course. Using a (very heavy) theodolite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodolite.

Note: Some planes could fly that high, but not also get usefully accurate altitude measurements.

Anyway. They get there and measure the height (which assumes you know the length of the base line. All very inaccurate.) So, what you really do is to take several measurements from widely spaced locations.

Of course they are all different.

But, it is even worse than that. To use a theodolite you need a vertical line, normally measured with a plumb bob (no, not microsoft bob - plumb blob). It is a heavy weight, often lead (plumb). But the mountain has so much mass itself, that it pulls the line out of vertical. So you estimate, of course. How much is the bob out of true, depending on how close we are and on the mass of other nearby (very big) mountains.

So you get a buncha estimates of measurements. And, and, and...

Wait for it.

You average them, of course.

But, it turned out that the average of a buncha estimated measurements was 29000 feet, exactly. EXACTLY.

So, they say to each other: "No one will believe this. They will think we just made it up."

So they just publish it as (if the old codger memory still works) 29029 feet instead.
[/warning]

Cool, or what?

There is a lesson here for teachers. Your job is NOT to teach what you know. As proved above, a lot of what you (actually I) know is useless garbage. Your job is to teach them what they need to know.

Wikipedia has the height as 29029, which I assume is a more modern measurement (gps, satellites, etc), but I've also see something like 29035 in recent mountaineering literature. But it changes: gravity, snow building and/or melting...

Relating this, and the lesson, to other threads here. We don't teach how to use slide rules anymore as that would be a waste of the student's time (unless you do it for fun). But we DO teach estimation by figuring "orders of magnitude" (i.e. exponents) and adding them up to do multiplication. Estimation is still valuable, and will probably remain so, but when everyone has a smartphone it becomes less essential. GLR has some otherComics on this of course.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Is it too early to start planning an Outside meetup for next yip?

I think an actual meetup would be a splendidly fantabulous idea. Though maybe we should wait until we run out of Time (heh) or a nice long span of time has elapsed. Say, after a year or so has passed, we start planning a meetup.
It needs to happen eventually. There's too many ideas popping into my head for what we all could do if such a meetup were to occur.
I'll bring the Skittles.

Well, obviously, we meet at the beach, once we figure out where it is (whether Madagascar, Molpygascar, Cassini Madagascar or elsewhere), at the time the OTC takes place (which we hardly had any hits for – yet – but given the Molpyberries and grapes (or whatever they're called now), it's probably autumn).
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Someone mentioned harmonics in an earlier post, and this is the first thing that came to mind.

@tman2nd - ASMR
@Dracomax - Vashta Nerada
@Kieryn - Game books
@Dracomax - Dragons and Fire Wars
@slinches - Cuegan timeline and orientated
@HAL9000 - people having their own thread experiences

Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:I would so much like to experience this. The closest I have is that certain colors seem to belong to certain numbers, but that's only if I think about it. Hold on! The only number that has color to me now is 4(brown)! What happened to the other ones! I used to be able to associate them with colors! :(

Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more. ASMR hasn't been studied, and so it hasn't been confirmed like synesthesia used to be. Here's the Wikipedia page on it. I wish I could experience ASMR or synesthesia, but unfortunately, I'm normal in this respect.

Oh! ASMR! That's what that feeling is! I get it every so often but I had no idea what it was, nice to not I'm not a weird freak (well, beyond the usual weird freakiness anyway).

Dracomax wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:

))This is not funny *twitch*

So long as they only have one shadow....Hate to think the Vashta Nerada are are there...of course, there hasn't been anything I'd call a forest, so they are probably safe.

Hey, who turned out the lights?

Kieryn wrote:Two youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYNJwpHWsBg
Is this the one direction where the OTC is heading?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3ogzLzxuM
ETA: It's all related.

Hmm, those books sound interesting. Like a single player DnD. Bit different from the similar concept behind the (to my knowledge) more recent "Choose your own Adventure" books. Might have to check one out.

Dracomax wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
ttscp wrote:We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers.

I aren't not! I aren't not articulate!

By the way: we do have a flame now:
<snip>

Flamewar anyone???

I said no! Thisburn is the fate of any who bring flames in here:

Any questions?

burnNot acting as inquisitor here, acting as grumpy dragon.

If you're the grumpy (presumably old) dragon, can I be the amiable, fun-loving young dragon?

slinches wrote:
ttscp wrote:DirectiONG!
Walking east along the sea, in the morning (can we determine what frames were morning?)

If they were walking east along the sea shore for days, then they would have to be on the north or south end of the landmass they're on (or on a really large bay on the west coast). That should help narrow the search parameters a bit for those scouring google maps.

Who ever said they were walking east for days? I said a while back that it's possible the 'walk for days' was pre-sandcastles (if such a concept is possible).

I would think they'd tell us at the very least, and more likely just keep posting regardless of whether or not they'd caught up.

But, who knows. Not everyone can dedicate multiple hours a dix to this thread...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
uaeio wrote:Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?
<snip>

It turns out that the problem is harder than it seems, even in the outside world.
[Warning. Warning. Warning. Warning. Warning. Old codger story follows. ]

Back in the old days they wanted to know how high Mt. Everest is (was. It changes.)

Reminds me of how body temperature became 98.6F. Took a bunch of people, measured their temp, in Celsius. Averaged them, and then rounded to the nearest degree. 37 degrees C. Then it was converted to Fahrenheit, and 98.6 became virtually gospel, and everyone forgot it was a rounded average. My daughter is feverish well below 98.6. When she was born they tried for hours to warm her up, and couldn't do it. They did finally give up, but even so, if I called the doctor, I had to say things like, "She's three degrees above normal."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Time Raptor

TIME LORD RANDALL
presents
IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ONE TRUE THREAD
A HAL9000 PRODUCTION SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - ZOË SALDANA "TIME RAPTOR" SAM NEILL
MUSIC BY YAPPOBISCUITS PRODUCED BY MSCHA WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY TIME LORD RANDALL

NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED DURING THE FILMING OF THIS EPISODE. BUT THE MOLPYSNAKES GOT HUNGRY TRIED TO EAT THE MOLPYSQUIRREL.
R [RESTRICTED: Under 17 requires accompanying parent oder adult guardian]

Can I make the hats? There will be hats, right? Right???

TheMinim wrote:
mathrec wrote:
mscha wrote:Say, has anyone seen our One True Milliner recently? She hasn't posted since Friicositetranewpix night...

The forum says she showed up yesterday, but didn't post.

So Probably Not Dead, which is good. Who'd make all the hats then?

Ooooh! Oooh! I am was being stalked!

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
OMR!! This is exciting. So, mscha, I've been completely unimpressed with the folks at that botany site. They all just looked at it and said, eh, it's a cartoon, not gonna even try to figure it out. Whatever. I've been searching "images trees madagascar." Never thought I would get tired of looking at baobab trees, but I found myself saying, "No, NOT a baobab! Show me something besides a baobab!" (And for some reason, that search brings up lots of images of snakes.) BUT, then I found the tapia trees:
http://www.arkive.org/tapia-tree/uapaca-bojeri/image-G137338.html
Pretty close to our tree, and..."The tapia tree is endemic to Madagascar and produces edible fruit." The fruit is pictured here.

As if that wasn't enough, the other tree image I saw a lot of was (wait for it) (OK, I've been ninja'd on this) palm trees! Like this one: http://www.lambertlandscape.org/Plants/images/Madagascar-Palm.jpg

The squirpy is still a problem, but the mouse lemur is a not completely impossible candidate.

This guy doesn't have anything to do with the OTC (yet), but I just had to include him:
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/025/591/i02/leaf-gecko-madagascar.jpg

So, what do all y'all think?

lmjb, I think you TOTALLY got it with the tapia tree. And the Madagascar Palm looks durn close too. The mouse lemur needs a fluffy tail though, unfortunately. And the gecko is SOO FAB!

Also, I wanted to note how you really go out of your way to recognize and acknowledge the contributions of others on this thread. Very sweet of you!

CasCat wrote:Hiya, all! I've just Blitzed through all 7332 pages since the Discovery of the Trees3; I found the Book of Aubron on about newpix 48, but had no idea this forum existed....

I made an account just to say, "HIYA!"

CasCat

2big
3neat

First-post Forward Throw!

Ebonite wrote:
ttscp wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Pet peeve: It's spelled Jabberwocky, gosh darn it!

Pet peeve: That is heresy young miss. Heresy.

I thought JabberWalky (or Jabberwalky or Jabber-walky) were all accepted variant spellings of the OTT created parody of The Jabberwocky, in accordance with the OTT's policy of never quite settling on one actual term for anything.

Yes, ttscp, you have it correct. I wrote the first verse to a parody of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky", and invited everyone to contribute additional verses to a "group poem" which I was calling "Jabber-walky", or, more simply, "Jabberwalky". So that is the name of the parody that the OTT created collaboratively. It is not a misspelling.

ETA: added link to "Jabberwalky" in the wiki.

oops..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Honestly, I hated math because of this and rote memorization. Nobody could/would explain the Pythagorean theorem to me(why it works, not how) until I was in Highschool, and by then I had lost interest. They either told me that I'd learn it in a later course(lies and slander, all later courses did was go over the same stuff every year) or that it just was that way.

That reminds me of a story. [story]It turns out that in a remote tribe in some remote country wives were known as squaws (I have to be careful here to avoid racist overtones, I know). A young gentleman wanted to marry so he goes to another man who has three unmarried daughters. Each of them is sitting on the hide of an animal. One on the hide of a polar bear, one on the hide of a moply (of course) and one on the hide of a hippopotamus.

In this culture there is a bride price, so the man asks the father of the daughters what is the bride price of each. The first daughter has a bride price of 1000 shells. The second 2000 shells and the third 3000. So it is true that the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.
[/story]

This site http://www.mathsisfun.com/pythagoras.html has a lot to say about the theorem of Pythagoras and why it is true. I find the diagrams compelling. It was one of the first interesting things I learned in Math.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:

That reminds me of a story. [story]It turns out that in a remote tribe in some remote country wives were known as squaws (I have to be careful here to avoid racist overtones, I know). A young gentleman wanted to marry so he goes to another man who has three unmarried daughters. Each of them is sitting on the hide of an animal. One on the hide of a polar bear, one on the hide of a moply (of course) and one on the hide of a hippopotamus.

In this culture there is a bride price, so the man asks the father of the daughters what is the bride price of each. The first daughter has a bride price of 1000 shells. The second 2000 shells and the third 3000. So it is true that the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.
[/story]

This site http://www.mathsisfun.com/pythagoras.html has a lot to say about the theorem of Pythagoras and why it is true. I find the diagrams compelling. It was one of the first interesting things I learned in Math.

And THAT reminds me of a fun video proving the Pythagorean theorem!
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
Ahh, my cover has been blown! Yes, I work for a top-secret branch of the CIA called Raptor And Zombie Observation and Relocation (RAZOR). Our motto is "Keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans." It's a terrible motto. I'm not sure who came up with it. Yes, it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.
</snip>

Blindposting this from NP 731, still trying to ketchup from that infernal (relaxing but OT[TC]-denying) 3-day wip-end. I don't usually do signpost-type thingies, but it took slightly more self-control than I possess to avoid bursting out laughing at work while reading this. How you could possibly think your posts are unappreciated kinda sorta baffles me :)

Okay, back to ketchup/hereticwork...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Reminds me of how body temperature became 98.6F. Took a bunch of people, measured their temp, in Celsius. Averaged them, and then rounded to the nearest degree. 37 degrees C. Then it was converted to Fahrenheit, and 98.6 became virtually gospel, and everyone forgot it was a rounded average. My daughter is feverish well below 98.6. When she was born they tried for hours to warm her up, and couldn't do it. They did finally give up, but even so, if I called the doctor, I had to say things like, "She's three degrees above normal."

That's just like me; my average temperature is about 96.5 degrees. 98.6 is a fever!

buffygirl wrote:Can I make the hats? There will be hats, right? Right???

Of course there will be hats! (Maybe someday I'll even get a hat... but I totally understand you not taking requests right now. :) And it would take a LOT of fabric to make a hat for a mountain...)
Seriously, though, your hats are awesome. I've always thought so, but never said so (this is another one of those very late, rusty bandwagon things, as everyone has already expressed, canonized, and added to the wiki their admiration of your hats!). Seriously, you could make hats on the Outside for real and I'd buy them. :P
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Oh, neat, a portal, er uh, message-to-the-future-sender-thingy. Guess I should use it. Now what do I say? Oh wait, is it recording?? Woops! Uh, um...

*fixes unruly hair*
*straightens tie*
*clears throat*

Hi. Um, sorry about that. How is everybody way up there in the future?? Things are good back here on NP 585, but I miss being more involved.1 It'll probably be a long while before I finally catch up, but I don't intend on cheating and looking ahead. It takes away from the OTC IMHO :P

Anyway, you guys are still really awesome! I'm loving all the cool stuff everyone's been doing! I'd reply to specific things but I mean, I've read 100+ NP worth of material since my last real2 post I think, which kinda makes anything specific either meaningless or too bulky.3 So just pretend I'm talking about you if you made or said something worthy of response. :)

In fact, take this model and personalize it! (It works best for people with 3 or more posts within the NP range of about 450-585)

Purplepants77 wrote:"Hey <username>! That one post of yours totally blew me away! Oh, and that other one too! In fact all <n> posts were pretty darn cool now that I think about it! You make a great addition to Team OTT! Hope to see you in the future!"

I will reply to just one quote, and it is this quoted one here that I've quoted, only because I just read it and I can relate:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote: radio talk-show blowhards like <insert hated radio extremist of your personal choice here>.

Should I be worried that I read that as hatted radio extremist?

I literally did the exact same thing and had to re-read the post like 4 times before I realized we were talking about hate, not hats. Its bad when you interpret hated as an honest misspelling of hatted (consciously mind you) multiple times before realizing that it is in fact a normal English word that makes much more sense in that context.

Anyway, just thought I would remind you how cool you guys are, keep up the good work!! I'll see you not so soon in the future which will then be the present!

1 Not that I was ever super involved or anymumblemumblymumble.
2 "Real" does not include my most recent post which was basically "I'm stuck in the past! Oh noes!!"
3 This comment is not swayed by any of the discussion I saw on blitzposting and whatnot. I don't mind when people post huge blitzposts for me to read4, I'm just not a blitzposty type person usually, hence the large number of NP I read without posting.
4 Which I do of course.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Time for a Molpy report...

I got nothing... Image
Not a pixel out of place in the past few dix.

I did enjoy BlitzGirl's Squirpy Screenshots, though.
Spoiler:
As a wise man once wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Can never have too much squirpy!

So...
I actually was confused by those two diagonal squirpies, I couldn't remember those at all. It actually turns out that they were missing in the ‘cut’ of my so-called ‘complete’ squirpy animation.
So, hereby a revised version:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Can't let Hal get all the ONGs...

Edit: charlie_grumbles, right about the 700 part (time for cake!), wrong about the ONG. ;)
Spoiler:
(This one has been reused a few times already – hope it still tastes good.)
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

1700-ONG
Spoiler:

I think.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Giving up ketchup in favor of skimming, but I still managed to generate a wall:
StratPlayer wrote:
Flado wrote:
StratPlayer, nodding head knowingly, wrote:See? It's ALL related!

I salute thee, fellow believer in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things!

Cool! And you know, that's actually a Douglas Adams book I've never read. :shock: But I'm going to have to remedy that post-haste!!!

Really? I had always assumed that your tag line was a Dirk Gently reference. FWIW, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul is a much better book, IMHO. If you're only going to read one Dirk Gently book, that should be it. (I don't think you'd lose anything by reading Tea-Time before Detective Agency, if you decided to read both.)

Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail...
Angelastic wrote:...I think the recent comments on the sun are either:

1) GLR saying, 'Have you figured out the real world location of this comic yet? Here's a clue that should make it blatantly obvious that's what you're supposed to do, and give you the last bit of information you need to work it out.'

2) An observation which clueless Cuegan will later use to figure out things about the world (e.g. how the position of these points on the planet relate to that of the Sun.)

If (1), I think it's clear they passed the Avenue of the Baobabs, given that there was even that crooked baobab there, but does the rest of their journey fit with that?...

I am seriously entertaining the Cassinite Madagascar hypothesis. That suggests that Time is a puzzle (nerd snipe) for xkcd freaks who would appreciate GLR's references to the OtherComic (and what-if). It seems to me that the asymmetrical baobab and the clear discussion about direction of the coastline are two of the three most specific hints that he has dropped. We can reconcile those on Cassinite earth, but I don't think we can do it on our Earth.

The other specific hint is "steam bottle", so I don't think this is a simple Geoguessr exercise in the Cassinite earth.

charlie_grumbles wrote:

...This site http://www.mathsisfun.com/pythagoras.html has a lot to say about the theorem of Pythagoras and why it is true. I find the diagrams compelling. It was one of the first interesting things I learned in Math.

One of the neatest thinks about the Pythagorean theorem is that the ancient Egyptians knew that it was true, but did not know why. The elegant proof was left for a later civilization.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

ucim wrote:And CasCat - welcome to the Present! You have done a Great and Awesome Thing, the rewards of which are ineffable and grand. I bid ye rise, and kneel.

In honor of your having completed a Holy Quest, and even having done so incognito, as did the great Selcouth before you, therefore by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time and for all of time that you have truly and properly Waited For It.

Come join us in Holy Celebration, as you join the ranks recently graced by Vytron, and initiated by BlitzGirl herself!

Jose

Aw, gosh.... :oops: Thanks!

C^ha^hs^hC^ha^ht^h BlitzGirl the Next (until the next one....)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Dracomax wrote:<not liking math>

<liking math and a strange story>

To purposelessly throw my opinion into the mess, I love math.
But I hate math. I love the concepts, the logic. I like the very first part of any math unit when you take the logic you learned previously and use it to build more facts that can help you interprate shapes, graphs, numbers and real life situations. But everything past that, I can't muster the patience for. (But I can for the OTC, strange.) I can't hold all the rules in my head, I can't reliably do the simple math required to do the fun stuff. I don't trust myself to write down the right things, and to recognize what move (or c-c-combo) to perform, and I hate repetition. Id much rather program my calculater to do my work for me than get the practice, which is probably part of my problem. Suffice to say [insert summary here]
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

I wonder it it's possible to do a lriGztilB... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)
That is, for someone to discover the OTC and OTT for the first time just now, and start reading the OTT from the last message on the last NP up, also catching the oldpix in reverse order as they were posted.
Probably not, you're missing all the background info that posters have, and you know a lot of things that posters are wondering about.

(It'd be a bit like Memento. For the viewer, that is, not for the protagonist.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:The Outside is calling dragging me kicking and screaming now, but I noticed we haven't had a paranoid theory on the end of Time lately, so....

:shock: OMR, we've learned too much lately (time of day, shadows, direction). We are being preparred for IT! Yes, that IT! and with IT the end of Time.

Shit. Should I cancel the milk?

I don't need to. Don't have a subscription to it in the first place.

But we need the milk cartons, how else are we going to find Helper?!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:The Outside is calling dragging me kicking and screaming now, but I noticed we haven't had a paranoid theory on the end of Time lately, so....

:shock: OMR, we've learned too much lately (time of day, shadows, direction). We are being preparred for IT! Yes, that IT! and with IT the end of Time.

It's okay, I've still got em!
ImageImage

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 29, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Spoiler:
ImageImage

CMYK is still missing too??? I think we need to start a man/woman hunt.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Partial ketchup!

ARRGGGHH!! Got to work today and checked the OTT; I was two pages behind. Not bad, I thought, I'll be able to ketchup in no time. But then, I had to do actual work this morning. So my riverish ketchup post became more and more seaish. In fact, I just got a message that it was over the 60,000 character limit! Haven't run into that before. Better do some more snipping. *snip snip snip* And now I see that I'm still two pages behind! I have made no headway today. And I have been trying to post this for 20 minutes. Has anyone else had problems with posting? I swear it keeps putting an extra end-quote block in. I can't seem to fix it. So, I'm just going to do this all without quotes. Sorry!

@macraw87, I imagine there were no comments on the breast implants is that everyone had found something even sillier to talk about.
I hope you find your cat, and I hope Helper finds his dog. I just heard on the news about a cat that found its family after 13 years. Hopefully it won't take as long for yours to find its way home.
And, hey, Kieryn, look! Someone did make that Father Ted reference earlier. Once again, everything old is new...(you have to look back at macraw87's post to see it)

Dammit, Minim! Now I need melty chocolate chip cookies!

@StratPlayer, when I saw "Tom Robinson" I kept think of Tom Robbins, but I didn't think he wrote songs.

@kenmelken: I would like to try my hand at the wiki. I don't think I'll have any time this wip, since I'm going out of town over the wip-end. Maybe next wip? (I am using that correctly, right?)

@Dracomax, I don't ever think you're boring, but don't worry about not posting as much today. Yesterday you were a ball of creative energy, so it evens out.

@Earthling-on-Mars: Sure, you can pet the leaf gecko. He doesn't seem to be dangerous, just endangered. From Wikipedia:
"The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) lists all the Uroplatus species on their "Top ten most wanted species" list of animals threatened by illegal wildlife trade, because of it "being captured and sold at alarming rates for the international pet trade". Poor l'il guy.

@richP, ucim and mscha: Do you generally have a standard way of creating generalized standards?

@buffygirl: Yay, buffygirl's back! We missed you!

What struck me about that botany site mscha posted on was how unimaginative they were. You'd think they'd get excited and say, "hey, let's see if this looks like a real tree!" or at least, "We, it seems to have this sort of leaves and this branch structure, so it could be a ____." But nothin'. Makes me appreciate how inquisitive and creative everyone here is.

I think "Jabberwalky" is on purpose, to reflect Cuegan's walking. I seem to remember that distinction being made when it first came up (or second came up).

Also, I have a question for you. You found that tree that looked to be the exact model for one in the OTC. Do you remember where you found that image?

And Valarya's back too! With cupcakes!

@yappobiscuits, I don't know the original of your song, but your version is cute. And I just love your avatar!

Re: the invitation from charlie-grumbles:
Darn, I missed it! I'm just up the road (by a few hours) from Hearst Castle! Well, maybe next year.

Belatedly redundant:
Spoiler:
partial-ketchup.jpg
partial-ketchup.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 14725 times

ETA:
~whirly time ripple~
~WHOOSH~
Greetings, Blitzers! I left this a little earlier in the past, but since I don't know how far rakhal has gotten since his last post, I thought I'd leave it here as well. I have come here from your future bearing a message for rakhal. Rakhal, an OTTer from the future, Sustainabilizer, has created a hatted avatar for you, if you'd like to use it. To view, just use this time portal. And Randallspeed on your blitz to you and any other blitzers out there! Send reports if you can, we love to read them. Farewell!
~whirly time ripple~
~WHOOSH~
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Spoiler:
ImageImage

Yeah, he hasn't posted in ages. Well, page-ages. I'll get the helicopters!

Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
But I hate math. I love the concepts, the logic. I like the very first part of any math unit when you take the logic you learned previously and use it to build more facts that can help you interprate shapes, graphs, numbers and real life situations. But everything past that, I can't muster the patience for. (But I can for the OTC, strange.) I can't hold all the rules in my head, I can't reliably do the simple math required to do the fun stuff. I don't trust myself to write down the right things, and to recognize what move (or c-c-combo) to perform, and I hate repetition. Id much rather program my calculater to do my work for me than get the practice, which is probably part of my problem. Suffice to say [insert summary here]

Actually, perhaps without realizing it, you ARE doing math in a way.

Math is really all about abstraction and building a new abstraction upon others. So, for example, numbers don't "exist" other than as an abstraction. "Five" is just a way to talk about a way to match sets of a certain size. The simple word "number" captures that complexity of matching sets.

You programming your calculator are doing a kind of abstraction. You take a certain complexity (the steps) and reduce it to something simple (a named command). Then you don't need to think of the steps anymore and just think of the command. That is the essence of abstraction, and math. Find a name to represent a complexity that, once understood, doesn't need to be re-understood in detail in the future. Just use the name.

This is what math is and it is what programming is (other than in machine language). Just keep building up more and more based upon what you already know. Math. Simplicity hiding complexity.

But just understanding the abstractions isn't "doing math". Creating new and useful abstractions is the essence and in most sub fields it takes a long time to get to the point of being able to do that. Most math teachers don't reach that level and so have an imperfect/incomplete picture of the nature of math.

BTW, the UK folk are probably more correct in saying "maths". There are several. It was fairly early in the last century that it was no longer possible for any one person to understand it all. Before 1900 it was possible. No more.
-- Charlie Grumbles

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Yeah, he hasn't posted in ages. Well, page-ages. I'll get the helicopters!

Spoiler:

I much prefer this one. It's cheaper, performs as well or better and I have a bit of a personal attachment to it :oops:

Spoiler:
a.k.a the flying banana

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 am UTC

trying ag-ONG

ETA: Hal9000 should be studying anyway.:shock:
-- Charlie Grumbles

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 30, 2013 12:08 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ergman wrote:

Actually, perhaps without realizing it, you ARE doing math in a way.

Math is really all about abstraction and building a new abstraction upon others. So, for example, numbers don't "exist" other than as an abstraction. "Five" is just a way to talk about a way to match sets of a certain size. The simple word "number" captures that complexity of matching sets.

You programming your calculator are doing a kind of abstraction. You take a certain complexity (the steps) and reduce it to something simple (a named command). Then you don't need to think of the steps anymore and just think of the command. That is the essence of abstraction, and math. Find a name to represent a complexity that, once understood, doesn't need to be re-understood in detail in the future. Just use the name.

This is what math is and it is what programming is (other than in machine language). Just keep building up more and more based upon what you already know. Math. Simplicity hiding complexity.

But just understanding the abstractions isn't "doing math". Creating new and useful abstractions is the essence and in most sub fields it takes a long time to get to the point of being able to do that. Most math teachers don't reach that level and so have an imperfect/incomplete picture of the nature of math.

BTW, the UK folk are probably more correct in saying "maths". There are several. It was fairly early in the last century that it was no longer possible for any one person to understand it all. Before 1900 it was possible. No more.

a very interesting explanation. I'll adjust my statement: I like math(s), I hate math class :lol:
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And, hey, Kieryn, look! Someone did make that Father Ted reference earlier. Once again, everything old is new...(you have to look back at macraw87's post to see it)

Where? What? Can you point me to this... cannot seem to find it... how far back are we talking here?

Edit: Topping two newpages in a row. Oh yeah baby.
Edit 2: If it wasn't for that pesky DONG on 740 it would have been... um... wait... oh... one I guess, because these last two would become bottom dwellers.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:@yappobiscuits, I don't know the original of your song, but your version is cute. And I just love your avatar!

Thanks! And I don't blame you for not knowing it, Devin Townsend is highly respected and well-known in the metal community but not so much elsewhere, and that song is from the first album he ever did and it was just a silly parody album he produced himself, even some of his fans probably haven't even heard it ;)

Heh, I hope that didn't come across at all hipsterish :oops:

@Kieryn - here :)
macraw83 wrote:I was surprised noone responded to this:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:I've been lurking for so lONG I haven't had a chance to do this yet...
Are they bigger, or is it just perspective?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”