1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StormAngel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StormAngel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:48 am UTC

I don't have anything against Ketchup, but I personally prefer Barbecue or Satay Sauce.
Despite my vow of silence@, I have still been reading this needle-pulled thing occasionally, although I'm sure I have missed quite alot too.
I was going to wait until after newpic 1800, however I think this works better if I post it now:
Spoiler:

@ I mistakenly made it before I realized I hadn't told anyone else about it...
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Still plowing through my backlog of quote tags...

Spoiler:
kierin wrote: snake SNAKE!
snake snake SNAKE! Anybody else ever try to beat The Impossible Quiz? (Sorry, I'm on an iPad so I can't verify the links I find for it - it's a flash game and iPads don't do flash) It's a bit addictive, but if you do try it at least I've given you one of the answers :wink:

lmjb wrote:
@StratPlayer, when I saw "Tom Robinson" I kept think of Tom Robbins, but I didn't think he wrote songs.

stratplayer wrote: I don't either. But according to his Wiki Entry, "For eight years, Robbins was an enthusiastic participant in Seattle's SPAM carving competition, serving as judge. He has also hosted an annual mayonnaise tasting, often with more than 20 international varieties, at his home in La Conner."

And funny thing -- when I saw your "Tom Robbins," I first thought of Tony Robbins, who I don't think wrote any songs either, unless a chorus of "Ow, ooh, ow, ooh, owwww!" during firewalking events counts as songwriting...

And I kept thinking each of you meant Tony Robinson

British Comedy Guide's entry: Baldrick, Bachelor of the Parish of Chigwell; Brother Baldrick. S. Baldrick; Private S Baldrick  Played by: Tony Robinson

One word can be used to describe Baldrick: disgusting. Blackadder's sidekick and general slave hasn't ever had a wash by the looks of it. He takes most of the blame for his master's mistakes and also manages to come up with the worst ideas ever after uttering his catch-phrase "Sir, I have a cunning plan". You can't not like Baldrick though thanks to his sheer, innocent stupidity and terrible treatment.

The Baldrick from the first series is far cleverer and wiser than his master. Son of Robin the Dung Gatherer - he tends to prefer to keep quiet; after all, any good ideas he has are claimed by Edmund as his own. Just like his descendants though, he is undervalued and unappreciated - but doesn't really seem to mind.

Ooh! Thought inspired by the series, not by Baldrick: is Corinne possibly a Black Adder? :shock:

charlie_grumbles wrote:
I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
<snip> Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)
<snip>Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

mscha wrote: I agree with us being a tribe. But I do think you're being far too self-deprecating as an elder...

mscha, charlie_grumbles is correct in his definition of elders - how one becomes an elder and the function of elders in a tribe. But he seems to have forgotten that some elders are also leaders: he wrote
Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe.

Sorry, charlie_grumbles, but mscha is correct. You're an elderleader :)

Short break...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 am UTC

Wow, no more Buffy hats, this is huge. But hey, thanks for all the millinery, it's really brightened up the OTT. And welcome back to regular OTT usage, kick back, relax, you've earned it!
Wait for it.

Ebonite

Re: 1190: "Time" Naming or Owning

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I thought we started out claiming naming rights to things. Now we are suddenly, in my view, claiming ownership rights. I'm much happier with naming rights being claimed and ownership residing in the tribe.

Or, claiming stewardship over things on behalf of the tribe. That sounds about right.

Otherwise it feels kind of grabby.
]

I think it's all just harmless fun. I don't believe anyone honestly believes they "own" anything. I "grabbed" the flags only because I saw it as a humorous way of poking fun at myself for having brought up the word "standards" a few dozen newpages ago! I had even considered putting "Official Flag-Bearer of the OTC" in my sig with tongue in cheek, until I remembered HAL9000 had already proposed a design for a flag long ago, so it seemed way too presumptuous of me to do so.

But seriously, it's not like I can "own" the flags in the OTC any more than ChronosDragon can "own" the bench. What can he do, put a plaque on it that identifies it as the "Official ChronosDragon Bench" and demand that people include his name when they refer to it, like the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl? I don't think that was his intent at all.

Again, I think it's just a little bit of harmless fun, with everyone affectionately reaching out to something tangible in the OTC that they're fond of, and that's all it is.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 am UTC

they've stopped talkONG for now.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I thought we started out claiming naming rights to things. Now we are suddenly, in my view, claiming ownership rights. I'm much happier with naming rights being claimed and ownership residing in the tribe.

Or, claiming stewardship over things on behalf of the tribe. That sounds about right.

Otherwise it feels kind of grabby.
]

I think it's all just harmless fun. I don't believe anyone honestly believes they "own" anything. I "grabbed" the flags only because I saw it as a humorous way of poking fun at myself for having brought up the word "standards" a few dozen newpages ago! I had even considered putting "Official Flag-Bearer of the OTC" in my sig with tongue in cheek, until I remembered HAL9000 had already proposed a design for a flag long ago, so it seemed way too presumptuous of me to do so.

But seriously, it's not like I can "own" the flags in the OTC any more than ChronosDragon can "own" the bench. What can he do, put a plaque on it that identifies it as the "Official ChronosDragon Bench" and demand that people include his name when they refer to it, like the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl? I don't think that was his intent at all.

Again, I think it's just a little bit of harmless fun, with everyone affectionately reaching out to something tangible in the OTC that they're fond of, and that's all it is.

I think "claiming stewardship over things on behalf of the tribe" is more along the lines of what we were going for. I, for one, intend to keep that bench spick-n-span spotless!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 am UTC

I claim the.

The word "the," everywhere it appears in the dialog.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think "claiming stewardship over things on behalf of the tribe" is more along the lines of what we were going for. I, for one, intend to keep that bench spick-n-span spotless!

That would be great. I'll polish your plaque if I pass by.

I forget now (old guys rule forget stuff) who claimed the sea, but I think the intent was stewardship (see below). Big job, tho.

Actually Qalyar did claim ownership (NP754) of it and ucim had a bit to say on the subject. But I'd be happy to have Qalyar serve as steward of the sea (big and does what it wants) if he is up to the responsibility.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Not sure exactly what you are referencing there? Is the note A 444 Hz in Boston or something?
The Boston Pops tunes to A=444. Rumor has it that according to them, it makes a brighter, happier, "poppier" sound.

Modern tunings have been on the rise.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:23 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Not sure exactly what you are referencing there? Is the note A 444 Hz in Boston or something?
The Boston Pops tunes to A=444. Rumor has it that according to them, it makes a brighter, happier, "poppier" sound.

Modern tunings have been on the rise.

Jose

TIL! Thanks that was interesting.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think "claiming stewardship over things on behalf of the tribe" is more along the lines of what we were going for. I, for one, intend to keep that bench spick-n-span spotless!

That would be great. I'll polish your plaque if I pass by.

I forget now (old guys rule forget stuff) who claimed the sea, but I think the intent was stewardship (see below). Big job, tho.

Actually Qalyar did claim ownership (NP754) of it and ucim had a bit to say on the subject. But I'd be happy to have Qalyar serve as steward of the sea (big and does what it wants) if he is up to the responsibility.

If it is agreed that stewardship is what we are claiming, then stewardship it shall be.

And I swear to keep all flags maintained properly! They shall be lowered and folded at the end of the day, cleaned and pressed when soiled, and burned and replaced when worn. Oh, and all binary error flags shall be tested with the utmost of discipline, and set when the appropriate conditions have been met. :-)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I present this next hat with both joy and a heavy heart.

This hat is for Vytron, for having made it to the present (ok, it's taken me awhile to do it). Congratulations, voyager! But, I also present it to him for another very special reason. You see, I must close the BuffyDashery for an as yet indistinct period of time, rendering this hat possibly my last.

I am very pleased and honored, however, to name Vytron as my successor, Maker of Hats for the OTT. Carry on the tradition with pride, Vytron!

HUZZAH for Vytron, the next Hatter of the OTT!

Well, I got back to the OTT just in time. As one of the earlier beneficiaries of the buffydashery, may I say,
Happy Retirement!
Thanks for all the hard work!

I've let the Hats by buffygirl wiki page fall behind, but there're 54 hatted avatars listed there now (not counting the ones you made for yourself), and I know you've been busy since; I won't be surprised if there are 80 or more Waiters wearing buffyhats. You've certainly done your share to brighten up the OTT.

HAL9000 wrote:You didn't notice my attempts at hatmaking that occurred while you were gone? kenmelken's multitude of hats was created by me, as was the santa-hat-toting Fluffy that I uploaded for charlie_grumbles as a reward for his "we are a Tribe" post, which I don't think he noticed.
Regardless of who holds the official title, I'll continue my bootleg millinery.

HAL, I for one have noticed your work, and would be more than happy to receive a hat from you. (I can wear more than one hat, can't I? Thanks to BlitzGirl's latest Boom De Yada I've been meaning to make one of those animated avatars anyway...) If you're interested, my original avatar's on the "Hats by buffygirl" page.

But what will your business be called?
  • HALdashery─doesn't have the same ring as buffydashery.
  • HALberdashery─much closer to the original haberdashery, but it begins with halberd, a particularly nasty pole arm; could frighten off customers.
  • HAL9000dashery─just plain cumbersome.
  • HALderdashery─too precious?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 am UTC

mscha wrote:Before I'm really gone, here's a final Molpy Report.
The beesnake has landed, and is now sitting perfectly still.
A (presumably) final animation:

I have been stupidly busy in the outside today.. but I just had to pop in for a quick ketchup, and to say I LOVE BEESNAKES! :mrgreen:

Also... bye BuffyHattery :cry: We will miss you.
Last edited by Valarya on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:You didn't notice my attempts at hatmaking that occurred while you were gone? kenmelken's multitude of hats was created by me, as was the santa-hat-toting Fluffy that I uploaded for charlie_grumbles as a reward for his "we are a Tribe" post, which I don't think he noticed.

HAL, I for one have noticed your work, and would be more than happy to receive a hat from you. (I can wear more than one hat, can't I? Thanks to BlitzGirl's latest Boom De Yada I've been meaning to make one of those animated avatars anyway...) If you're interested, my original avatar's on the "Hats by buffygirl" page.

• HALberdashery─much closer to the original haberdashery, but it begins with halberd, a particularly nasty pole arm; could frighten off customers.

I think I'll go with HALberdashery. After all, the Landsknechte had some pretty rockin' headgear:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:

I think I'll go with HALberdashery. After all, the Landsknechte had some pretty rockin' headgear:
Spoiler:

Excellent point. HALberdashery it is.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:56 am UTC

BuffyGirl, we will all miss your expert hat-trickery. In honor of your many wix of service I just created this new feature:

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ThreadImages

jjjdavidson wrote:I've let the Hats by buffygirl wiki page fall behind, but there're 54 hatted avatars listed there now (not counting the ones you made for yourself), and I know you've been busy since; I won't be surprised if there are 80 or more Waiters wearing buffyhats.

Hopefully this might help with your research, though it's only capturing avatars posted to the thread: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ThreadImages?set=avatars
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
astrocub wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Say, the comment about Gödel reminded me of a book I read not long ago. It's called Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, and it's a book which discusses a great many things that we've talked about here, including:
- Jabberwocky
- Self-similarity
- Zeno's Paradox
- Cage's 4'33"
- Artificial Intelligence
- A number of other topics which haven't been discussed yet, but probably will given the nature of this thread
It's a very good read, perhaps my favorite non-fiction book. I highly recommend it.

Copper, Silver, Gold: an Indestructible Metallic Alloy is another great read :P

(You have to have read the book to understand this one...)

GEB, that brings back memories... I've read it at 5 times, but it's been a few decades. It is indeed awesomeful! (Must re-read it some time, if I ever have the Time...)
(I think you need to have some affinity with exact sciences, though; otherwise you might find it hard to follow at times. But then again, you also must appreciate the arts, language, and especially inventive dialogues, otherwise you'll find it boring.)

I never hesitate to lend GEB to my non-science friends, telling them to just read the dialogues, and if you find a dialogue particularly intriguing go ahead and see what you get out of the interlude!

BlueCrab wrote:
Dracomax wrote: I beleive it is possible given enough time, for us to understand utterly the nature of the universe, and have no more left to learn about it. I'm glad I don't live in that time, however. how boring and sad it would be to know that every discovery has been dicovered, every point plotted, all things understood--for there to be nothing left to ponder, no experiments left to run. No Science left to do. I weep for the day we understand everything.

I disagree that it is possible for us to utterly understand the universe.
Spoiler:
First, while every nuance may eventually be known, it will never all be known by any individual being and therefore each being will still have their own journey to understanding. Not to mention that each being would still have their inner thoughts and experiences, which can never be fully known and understood by another.

Second, the depth of understanding you speak of would essentially mean that our understanding would be the equal of the universe. Or possibly would be the universe itself; unfortunately my father is no longer able to help me understand the nuances of the case, but one of my daughters is working on getting the math to help me instead. [/bittersweet]

At best we (sentient beings, that is, in case there are others, or in case whoever we are at that hypothetical point can't technically be considered human) may eventually understand the concepts from which everything in the universe has arisen. I suppose at that point free will could certainly be considered moot (I do realize that, at the moment, some neuroscientists, philosophers, and physicists are asserting that free will absolutely cannot exist, but I choose to disagree with their conclusions) but I really can't imagine that there wouldn't still be the fascination of watching things play out exactly as the concepts decree.

Then again, I have the ability to enjoy sitting and watching a lava lamp for hours at a time, or the tiny drainage patterns made by wavelets around a rock, or the way cats smile when they sleep. Perhaps the Understanding Ones (assuming the universe has enough time for them to develop and acquire the understanding we're talking about) will have a similar childlike appreciation for endless iteration.

By the way, several Waiters may enjoy this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/may/23/eric-weinstein-answer-physics-problems

I loved this comment (not just because it's practically straight from a thesis paper I wrote for a cosmology course :) ), but because it really captures my relationship to this. "To what?" "You. Me. This comic." The rational brain parasite residing in my head wants nothing more than to follow the OTC and the analyses in the OTT until I understand everything about this strange comic. But the irrational romantic brain parasite in me thrives on the unknown; the fact that we get closer and closer each newpix to understanding more about the OTC, but we may may never know everything. There will be niggling mysteries about this experience that might stick with us for the rest of [heretical outside] Time [/heresy]. And I'm ok with that. I want to come back to these thoughts years from now and say to myself, "Self, maybe that thing was there because of this, and this too! Oh yeah, that explains why they did that! But wait, then why was there all of those? Hmmm..." And I look forward to those Times.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 am UTC

jjjdavidson, your requested second hat is forthcomONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:19 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
astrocub wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Say, the comment about Gödel reminded me of a book I read not long ago. It's called Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, and it's a book which discusses a great many things that we've talked about here, including:
- Jabberwocky
- Self-similarity
- Zeno's Paradox
- Cage's 4'33"
- Artificial Intelligence
- A number of other topics which haven't been discussed yet, but probably will given the nature of this thread
It's a very good read, perhaps my favorite non-fiction book. I highly recommend it.

Copper, Silver, Gold: an Indestructible Metallic Alloy is another great read :P

(You have to have read the book to understand this one...)

GEB, that brings back memories... I've read it at 5 times, but it's been a few decades. It is indeed awesomeful! (Must re-read it some time, if I ever have the Time...)
(I think you need to have some affinity with exact sciences, though; otherwise you might find it hard to follow at times. But then again, you also must appreciate the arts, language, and especially inventive dialogues, otherwise you'll find it boring.)

I never hesitate to lend GEB to my non-science friends, telling them to just read the dialogues, and if you find a dialogue particularly intriguing go ahead and see what you get out of the interlude!

BlueCrab wrote:
Dracomax wrote: I beleive it is possible given enough time, for us to understand utterly the nature of the universe, and have no more left to learn about it. I'm glad I don't live in that time, however. how boring and sad it would be to know that every discovery has been dicovered, every point plotted, all things understood--for there to be nothing left to ponder, no experiments left to run. No Science left to do. I weep for the day we understand everything.

I disagree that it is possible for us to utterly understand the universe.
First, while every nuance may eventually be known, it will never all be known by any individual being and therefore each being will still have their own journey to understanding. Not to mention that each being would still have their inner thoughts and experiences, which can never be fully known and understood by another.

Second, the depth of understanding you speak of would essentially mean that our understanding would be the equal of the universe. Or possibly would be the universe itself; unfortunately my father is no longer able to help me understand the nuances of the case, but one of my daughters is working on getting the math to help me instead. [/bittersweet]

At best we (sentient beings, that is, in case there are others, or in case whoever we are at that hypothetical point can't technically be considered human) may eventually understand the concepts from which everything in the universe has arisen. I suppose at that point free will could certainly be considered moot (I do realize that, at the moment, some neuroscientists, philosophers, and physicists are asserting that free will absolutely cannot exist, but I choose to disagree with their conclusions) but I really can't imagine that there wouldn't still be the fascination of watching things play out exactly as the concepts decree.

Then again, I have the ability to enjoy sitting and watching a lava lamp for hours at a time, or the tiny drainage patterns made by wavelets around a rock, or the way cats smile when they sleep. Perhaps the Understanding Ones (assuming the universe has enough time for them to develop and acquire the understanding we're talking about) will have a similar childlike appreciation for endless iteration.

By the way, several Waiters may enjoy this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/may/23/eric-weinstein-answer-physics-problems

I loved this comment (not just because it's practically straight from a thesis paper I wrote for a cosmology course :) ), but because it really captures my relationship to this. "To what?" "You. Me. This comic." The rational brain parasite residing in my head wants nothing more than to follow the OTC and the analyses in the OTT until I understand everything about this strange comic. But the irrational romantic brain parasite in me thrives on the unknown; the fact that we get closer and closer each newpix to understanding more about the OTC, but we may may never know everything. There will be niggling mysteries about this experience that might stick with us for the rest of [heretical outside] Time [/heresy]. And I'm ok with that. I want to come back to these thoughts years from now and say to myself, "Self, maybe that thing was there because of this, and this too! Oh yeah, that explains why they did that! But wait, then why was there all of those? Hmmm..." And I look forward to those Times.

You seem to have quite a few brain parasites, maybe you should get that checked...

Neurologically degrading amoebae or not, I entirely agree with this. I think all along the majority of the fun has been speculating about what we don't know, rather than formalizing what we do. After all, semencancercoffeebabiesonice was invented when we didn't know if it was a body of water or what, molpies came about when we weren't sure what was moving in the grass, and even the main characters have whimsical names because Randall hasn't seen fit to tell us their actual titles yet.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:25 am UTC

For jjjdavidson, upon request:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson hat 2.png
jjjdavidson hat 2.png (21.3 KiB) Viewed 14421 times

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Didn't have time yesterdONG...

HAL9000 wrote:For jjjdavidson, upon request:

Haha! Thanks! That was fast. Now to install nifty animation module in the GIMP...
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 am UTC

No ketchup for me, I'll take Frank's Red Hot!

kenmelken wrote:(...once you catch up to this post, please accept my most sincere thanks for making my day via the most perfectly timed blind post ever!)

You are most welcome, sir, it was my pleasure :D

I wrote:
Blind posting from 749 ...gotta find that picture of my friend Catherine playing Sarlac under a sheet...

akacat wrote: Are Sarlacs known for their singing ability? If so, my friend Catherine also plays that game.
:lol: Mine doesn't, but I'm quite sure some of them do!

anabatica wrote: Along with "where", why isn't there more discussion about "when"?
Catapults weren't invented until 400BC and then possibly not the right type of catapult until the Middle Ages (not sure on this bit). Grape domestication was well before all of that and I can't think of any other possible historical clues.

ThinkQuest says around 200 AD in China, with their next actual date 1216 in France: http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00627/history.html. But it sure doesn't seem like the real world to me, even if it does turn out to be real geography.

ASMRO
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
fatness wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Vytron wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.

WHAAAAT?
I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o
So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!

Yeah! It was hidden in a ketchup post, but I had the same epiphany you did! It's weird, I kind of took it for granted...

Well you can add me to this camp. Same thing, same thought.

I don't know what to think of this ASMR business. I'm reminded of a phenomenon from when I was a kid. Whenever the barber brought clippers near my ear, I'd about come out of the barber chair, because the buzzing would cause a nearly unbearable sensation (not a pleasant one) down my neck and side, all the way into my nether regions. It was a distinctly tactile sensation, something between an electric tingling and a physical vibration. I can remember this from when I was no more than five or six years old.

jjjdavidson, that sounds dreadful. I get similar unpleasant sensations when I'm late taking one of my medications, but in random areas. I've had people tell me that what I'm describing sounds like what some people feel while they're on acid. (My retort is that I'll never have to worry about finding out - I have enough trouble with reality as it is.)

Have any of you ever felt a dolphin pinging you in the ocean? It's a very high-pitched, very short-duration click, which I feel inside the base of my skull. Not necessarily comfortable, even while it's very cool to know that a dolphin has just gotten a glimpse of you.

Which reminds me, I've been wondering if there are aquatic molpys, and if one of the things the OTA doesn't bother showing is CueGan hunting. And shaving, but that goes with toilet stops I suppose. And what on earth did Cueball bury, way back at the riverbank? And where do dreams go after we dream them? And what about...

Sorry. Never mind!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Oh well this would be 440... Give me an A!
Made me smile. Four more posts and you can do it again, in Boston. Jose

and 445 in Berlin (allegedly).

blindposting but has anyone taken the tiny1 trebuchet? If not, I claim it.

1 even smaller than the river2
2 small
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:57 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:For jjjdavidson, upon request:

Haha! Thanks! That was fast. Now to install nifty animation module in the GIMP...

I do pride myself on the promptness of my hat creation. The secret is being too lazy to download Adobe, so I'm not tempted to try anything particularly outrageous (so far, all I've needed has been Chrome {for internet access, of course}, Pages {much, much better for arranging/placing images than MS Word}, sometimes Microsoft Word {has a "save selected object as picture" option, in case the final image has no clear border}, and Preview {for adjusting the size to fit the 128x150 pixel size maximums}. This prevents me from being able to do more complex hats {I couldn't, for example, have had the horse's ear showing on the outside of its hat}, but it works well enough).
ETA that more than half of this post is in parentheses. Which means it's probably HAL's bed comatime.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Or should that be HATTY retirement? :P

And thankyou for the many mips of fabulous millinery!

*giggle* Three hat-cakes! Yay!

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I am very pleased and honored, however, to name Vytron as my successor, Maker of Hats for the OTT. Carry on the tradition with pride, Vytron

You didn't notice my attempts at hatmaking that occurred while you were gone? kenmelken's multitude of hats was created by me, as was the santa-hat-toting Fluffy that I uploaded for charlie_grumbles as a reward for his "we are a Tribe" post, which I don't think he noticed.
Regardless of who holds the official title, I'll continue my bootleg millinery. :twisted:
I find that I am the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer yet again. How fitting.

Yes, I saw, and was too tired to object! Also, I thought they looked very nice. (I named Vytron as my successor because a few NP's back, when it looked like I'd disappeared, he specifically inquired about taking my place). Bootleg away - it's not my domain anymore! :)

Kieryn wrote:BuffyGirl, we will all miss your expert hat-trickery. In honor of your many wix of service I just created this new feature:

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ThreadImages

jjjdavidson wrote:I've let the Hats by buffygirl wiki page fall behind, but there're 54 hatted avatars listed there now (not counting the ones you made for yourself), and I know you've been busy since; I won't be surprised if there are 80 or more Waiters wearing buffyhats.

Hopefully this might help with your research, though it's only capturing avatars posted to the thread: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ThreadImages?set=avatars

Thanks! I just went ahead and added the last 6 hats I've made to the Wikia. I think they're all on the page now. The total is 60-something, I think.

COMATIME!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 am UTC

LONGSOMELY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Oh well this would be 440... Give me an A!
Made me smile. Four more posts and you can do it again, in Boston. Jose

and 445 in Berlin (allegedly).

blindposting but has anyone taken the tiny1 trebuchet? If not, I claim it.

1 even smaller than the river2
2 small

If we're still claiming bits, I'd like the bucket pailevator. (If a walrus comes asking, you never heard of me.)

And it's coma time again. TimeWaiters everwhere, may you always be able to tell what's land and what's sky. ("Why is the sky blue?" Judge Harry Stone: "Because if it was green, we wouldn't know where to stop mowing.") Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 am UTC

Um... yes, STEWARDSHIP, that's totally what I was going for, stewardship of the tiny trebuchet, keep all its tiny parts in good working order.....
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 am UTC

BEESNAKESEZHIONG

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 am UTC

Opening a new bottle of Frank's Red Hot:

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
<snip> It's one of those things I wish I knew a name for, like sneezing when I come into bright light.

Photic sneezing. I do that, too.

Two of my children sneeze the first time they eat something sugary in a given waking-period. Oddly enough, one of my cats does, too.

Valarya wrote: Yessss! I WANT SPIDERS IN THE OTC. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:Then all would be complete. I love spiders.

This reminds me, back on newpage 398
Eliram wrote:I was wondering if spiders can wear hats, so I googled "spider hat" in google images.
There's a picture I've seen of a spider wearing quite a beautiful hat. Unfortunately I couldn't find the original, just this doctored one, but the picture is the same (WARNING: the following URL leads to a close-up of a spider!) http://bestdemotivationalposters.com/my-hat-is-a-rain-drop/

HAL9000wrote: I really wish I were able to visit the east coast right now; I simply love cicadas. I hope to experience a brood emerging (there's a bunch of different broods, all with different regions and years) at least once in my lifetime. It seems like it would be interesting, and at least a little entertaining (earlier on, that is. Before the dead start piling up

It is very interesting watching them emerge, and also to find them coming out of the husk. They are quite beautiful, and it's a lot of fun to put the husks on pencils and have them act out scenes, or pose them in potted plants to startle the unwary. However, it's not really the dead cicadas piling up that spoils the fun - it's the noisenoisenoisenoisenoise. The endless, grinding, grating, thought-overwhelming, never-ending noise. When combined with a particularly hot afternoon, it's absolutely maddening.*

(Hm, I'm going to put that on my list of things to write research papers on if I ever go for a degree: Does the presence of a cicada swarm have any influence on numbers or levels of violent incidents?

*Just reread your quote and realized that you clearly already know everything I said about cicadas, except possibly the magnitude of the increase in volume from a swarm rather than a few dozen. I'll leave it there anyway, for those who don't know the beasties.

Oh, and charlie_grumbles_brother? You may want to go back and spoiler those beautiful cicada pictures for the unwary :P otherwise how am I going to scare them with my little dramas in the ficus?

Ooh, a hill, and a new Act! Coma time for me, this is worth waiting to read with my coffee in the newday!

ETA The cat doesn't get sugar every day. 2 or 3 times a year we'll let him lick some marshmallow off of a finger because he loves doing it and he's ridiculously cute making continual tiny sneezes while blissfully consuming the treat. Don't judge, I know someone who let her friend Catherine get brain freeze from ice cream. :(

Hey, that's why CueGan are stick figures, all they eat are grapes and (apparently) something crumbly, there's no way you can have proper muscle on a diet like that!

Oops, I've gotten to the babbling stage of the day. Going a’coma-ing now :oops:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 am UTC

CLOSEONG

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Blitzposting before I coma.

Spoiler:
These past few Past hours have been so exciting! Pope Helper returned! I did not expect that at all, as he is absent in the Present. HAL9000 also returned, as did Opibobble, who was then ignored.

The Mustard was discovered, analyzed, and denounced as heretical.

A pastpost:

digimuzik wrote:For crying out loud. I switch computers and then can't login for dozens of newpix. I've been following all along though. Here are my clear thoughts

BagsStrangepetitegirlappearinginmistsFadingIt'sover?!OhnoThey'rejustwalkingOMG3d!
YayStalebacondonutsandcakewhilelatetothepartyforBlitzGirlandheruberawesomemashupsummary
OhIupdatedmysignowsinceshe'snolongerinthepastDammitsomeoneelsepostedthehaveyouseenthejavascriptjoke
WelcomebackHelperandHalOwowowMyeyesItneverendsWhatsupwithgrayMustard

Oh... need my coffee. Later.

Edit: wow, forum doesn't like longstrings

I have found a bug in the date-to-newpix script:

Last edited by jovialbard at newpix 208599.00 B.T., 2013 2:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

And a little utility I made for everyone, whether in the Past or the Present. Or, at least, everyone using a Mac; I'm no good at Windows programming, I'm afraid. I got tired of the heretical clock in the system bar, so I made a little system bar app that displays the Time in Newpix instead: http://taixzo.com/Newpixometer.zip

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 am UTC

I wonder if the beesnake is going to report to its bretheren that Cuegan has passed this way? :)

BlueCrab wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
jjdavidson wrote:<snip> It's one of those things I wish I knew a name for, like sneezing when I come into bright light.

Photic sneezing. I do that, too.

Two of my children sneeze the first time they eat something sugary in a given waking-period. Oddly enough, one of my cats does, too.

That's interesting. I also sneeze with particular foods, including chocolate (especially dark chocolate), kiwi (?), and mints, or minty gum. Apparently other people have this weirdness, too, but it doesn't seem to have a cool name like photic sneezing does.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:21 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:they find the landscape somewhat confusONG

You nitwit Cueball. That's the only distinction it is possible to make without the use of ENHANCE!

Oh yes, I'd like to claim the Frames which survived without comment until the next Frame.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:There's a picture I've seen of a spider wearing quite a beautiful hat. Unfortunately I couldn't find the original, just this doctored one, but the picture is the same (WARNING: the following URL leads to a close-up of a spider!) http://bestdemotivationalposters.com/my-hat-is-a-rain-drop/

I loooove lil jumping spiders with drops of dew on their heads! I think I just exploded from cuteoverload. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I saw the teeniest jumping spider on my porch today and I actually got down on my hands and knees and followed it around for 10 [heresy] minutes. [/heresy] I think I have a problem.

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:NOTICEONG...
Spoiler:
Edit: Looking down at the baobabs?

If so, nicely predicted by Eliram:
Eliram wrote:I think it's about time that they stop to look back at the view. The sea and river should be very nicely displayed from their current height.

Yeah, that was weird. They mentioned the sea too, and within a few newframes from my wild prediction.
Let me try another one...

:idea: [PREDICTION]In one of the upcoming frames M&C will come across some sort of a stone structure, perhaps a ruin of a hut or a deserted aqueduct.[/PREDICTION] :idea:

BlueCrab wrote:Opening a new bottle of Frank's Red Hot:

This reminds me, back on newpage 398
Eliram wrote:I was wondering if spiders can wear hats, so I googled "spider hat" in google images.
There's a picture I've seen of a spider wearing quite a beautiful hat. Unfortunately I couldn't find the original, just this doctored one, but the picture is the same (WARNING: the following URL leads to a close-up of a spider!) http://bestdemotivationalposters.com/my-hat-is-a-rain-drop/

Wow, that is a beautiful photo. Thanks!
It's about time.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:what will your business be called?

Balderdash.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Rice liqueur, licorice,
My brand new Buffyhat
Placed on my head in her
Very last few.
Retiring tirédly
Bootlegged Milliner:
Hal9k-dashery
Knows what to do.

Irrelevant to above 2xDactyl:
Spoiler:
in the vein of the photic sneezing conversation, which I think originated with synesthesia, Alchohol tastes purple to me, and certain cough medicine tastes blue. The latter association could be due to packaging color or something but I can't think of any good reason why I consider alcohol purple. That's just the way my brain works, I guess.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 am UTC

LONELYBEESNAKEONG
or is it a penisnake?
or a beepopepenis?
Last edited by spamjam on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”