1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
thirds wrote:
fhorn wrote:
thirds wrote:
shurikt wrote:Yet another faction split: the stumpists and the termolpists!

I mite be stumped.

I saw what you did there.

I axe you, wood it be safe to say opinion is split?

edit: that's quite enough of that.


No, please continue. I... I'm ashamed of that, but I actually miss the Bagocalypse. One or two pages of bad puns once in a while are healthy. I think.


I assume you mean that in the same way that a juice cleanse to clear out your digestive tract is healthy?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
thirds wrote:
fhorn wrote:
thirds wrote:
shurikt wrote:Yet another faction split: the stumpists and the termolpists!

I mite be stumped.

I saw what you did there.

I axe you, wood it be safe to say opinion is split?

edit: that's quite enough of that.


No, please continue. I... I'm ashamed of that, but I actually miss the Bagocalypse. One or two pages of bad puns once in a while are healthy. I think.


I assume you mean that in the same way that a juice cleanse to clear out your digestive tract is healthy?

Pulp?

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

currently ketchONG up
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

ONGoing debate regarding what the short stumpy things mite be...

Spoiler:
Image


Ninja from Wisconsin/Jupiter...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9094
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Not the puns! NOT THE PUNS!
*brandishes chainsaw*
Image
*looks at all the stumps*
...Oh. Guess somebody got here first.

Anyway, throw me in with the stumpists for now. I like the little sprig growing out of the stumpy-thing on the left; it reminds me of little trees sprouting from cut stumps.

kenmelken wrote:First, how do you guys like my summary of the "Snake!" period on the Wiki? I tried to summarize the debate regarding the snake as fairly as I could. Here it be:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/%22Snake!%22 <snip>

I thought that was an excellent summary. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

Is it odd that I feel disappointed that the molpy appearing on the OTC wasn't called a molphyton but just a "snake" instead of being happy that a molpy appeared and was named in the OTC? :?


No no. I think we were all disappointed he didn't shout "Molpython!" I certainly was. :?
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Not the puns! NOT THE PUNS!
*brandishes chainsaw*
Image
*looks at all the stumps*
...Oh. Guess somebody got here first.

Anyway, throw me in with the stumpists for now. I like the little sprig growing out of the stumpy-thing on the left; it reminds me of little trees sprouting from cut stumps.

kenmelken wrote:First, how do you guys like my summary of the "Snake!" period on the Wiki? I tried to summarize the debate regarding the snake as fairly as I could. Here it be:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/%22Snake!%22 <snip>

I thought that was an excellent summary. :)


I'm in with the stumpists too!

Apologies if I don't post much over the next few days, I'm feeling a bit under the weather. That's an odd phrase, under the weather. Most people are under the weather, unless they're in an airplane or rocket ship. Even then, local temperature and humidity could be considered weather which one could be under. Humm.
Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Apologies if I don't post much over the next few days, I'm feeling a bit under the weather.<snip>


Oh no! Get some rest and we'll still be here when you're better.

I went to find you a 'get well soon' cupcake, saw this, and giggled. Feel better, cupcake. :P
Spoiler:
Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
shurikt
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby shurikt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

A Joke:

Two OTTers were walking together along the sea1 whereupon they discovered some tracks.
The first OTTer says to the second OTTer, "Them's molpy tracks."
The second OTTer replies, "Nonsense. Them's beesnake tracks."
Spoiler:
Then the train came.


1Oblig. footnote. Can you tell I'm waiting for a report to run?

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:A Joke:

Two OTTers were walking together along the sea1 whereupon they discovered some tracks.
The first OTTer says to the second OTTer, "Them's molpy tracks."
The second OTTer replies, "Nonsense. Them's beesnake tracks."
Spoiler:
Then the train came.


1Oblig. footnote. Can you tell I'm waiting for a report to run?

Green Line or Brown Line light rail or heavy rail molpytrain or trainraptor?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 am UTC

COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.
Image
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.
Image


Does she mean temperature or level of "neatness"???
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:08 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.
Spoiler:
Image

If the temperature is noticeably cooler, then they must have climbed much higher in elevation than the panorama depicts. Assuming a standard lapse rate, and ~15F delta in temperature would mean they've climbed roughly 725q ([heresy]~4200ft[/heresy]).

ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).
Last edited by slinches on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9094
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Well, considering how far they've come from the Sandcastle, they must be in the Future by now. It's pretty cool!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
I'm in with the stumpists too!

Apologies if I don't post much over the next few days, I'm feeling a bit under the weather. That's an odd phrase, under the weather. Most people are under the weather, unless they're in an airplane or rocket ship. Even then, local temperature and humidity could be considered weather which one could be under. Humm.


My hat is with the stumpists.

Get some rest ChronosDragon and feel better! No one likes a sick dragon. As for being under the weather, well, I never quite got that either. Aren't we always under the weather, as you point out? Even on an airplane, there would be weather which one could be under. Out in space, of course, there is solar weather as well, but no under. So I do not think it applies there.

ETA: My wife, linguist and lexicographer, informs me that the phrase is likely a condensed phrase related to some such probable phrase as "feeling under the influence of the weather," or possibly a maritime source in which sick sailors were sent below deck to be "out of the weather," and therefore below, or under it. Though she believes this later origin is rather dubious.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
trolleypup
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC
Location: SF, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby trolleypup » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 am UTC

If those are remnants of logging...either someone is making some really REALLY bad cuts or they are old enough to have partly decayed. Which is not to say that logging like that doesn't go on...I remember walking through such an area with a trailcrew and wondering if we would find remains under a unsafely felled tree.F

FIf you go by the book, you should be able to aim the treeI within a degree or two "walk out 75' and tie a flag where you want the tree to fall!", and leave a neat split level stump with a moderate amount of broken fibers from the hinge wood.

IAssuming you chose a not-interestingC tree.

CAs the old saying goes!

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:23 am UTC

stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy termite mound

take it away waiters.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 am UTC

slinches wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.
Spoiler:
Image

If the temperature is noticeably cooler, then they must have climbed much higher in elevation than the panorama depicts. Assuming a standard lapse rate, and ~15F delta in temperature would mean they've climbed roughly 725q ([heresy]~4200ft[/heresy]).

ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

The mountains could also just be in a colder area, right? We know they're going towards their respective pole, which would lead to a generally lower temperature. I know the north end of my city is often noticeably colder than the south, with more snow. Or it could just be windchill. Or something.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 am UTC

slinches wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.
Spoiler:
Image

If the temperature is noticeably cooler, then they must have climbed much higher in elevation than the panorama depicts. Assuming a standard lapse rate, and ~15F delta in temperature would mean they've climbed roughly 725q ([heresy]~4200ft[/heresy]).

ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

Up a little ways maybe there is a breeze that couldn't be felt further down, or some other micro-climate kinds of things. The edge of my yard at the street is noticeably warmer than closer to the house, though the elevation change is slight.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9094
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 am UTC

trolleypup wrote:If those are remnants of logging...either someone is making some really REALLY bad cuts or they are old enough to have partly decayed. <snip>

My guess would be the latter, considering the state of disrepair the "campsite" was in (it's been a while since people were here), and the little sprig growing from the left stump.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy stumpy termite mound

take it away waiters.


Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:36 am UTC

The temperature is pretty neat!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:44 am UTC

My bet is stumps. Just a feeling that we'd have seen a comment otherwise. Do termites like the cool? I thought they liked it pretty hot. Old stumps makes some sense, but no secondary growth to speak of. Cut over sections grow up pretty quick. First in bushes (berries and such), then in trees.

So, not entirely clear. Except not present day Antarctica, of course.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 am UTC

ignor-ONG the stumps
Image

A google search for ONG turns up a couple of interesting links.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 am UTC

I realized my mind doesn't follow the flow when writing a story; it hops between past, present and future. Because of that, I decided to go away with order on The Last Time Waiter; maybe I number the chapters once it's done.

This chapter is set after the end of the original one (which is more of an overview of the whole story). I started writing it as a songfic for this awsum song, but then I decided to let it flow whatever way it wanted to. I still recommend listening to that song and reading the lyrics before/while reading this.

So, here we go: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter ?: The Apprentice
Spoiler:
The Creature could feel at every moment that no matter how hard it tried, it would never be better than those who created it; it would never fully understand Time; it would never be able to fulfill its purpose.

There was, however, one way for it to get this knowledge; a dangerous and painful way, but the only way.

<hr> wrote:


The Creature hoped it was ready for what it expected to come next; yet, it couldn't stop thinking on what would happen if it wasn't.
“Fake it until you become it", it thought. "Believe you are ready, and soon you will be".
It worked. In a few seconds the Creature's posture changed significantly, as of someone who knew what to do, and why. It approached the Source, blinding light illuminating its scales; calm and confidence took over him.
Gracefully, it touched the Source. And then it heard. And was heard.

<hr> wrote:


Many tried to control it before. Some for greed, some for love, some for vengeance. But none of them had what was necessary. They couldn't even understand its nature; if given to them, such amount of power would have driven them insane.

But there it was, right in front of it; a Creature that didn't even understand itself completely, but that was eager to learn. A Creature that held no preconception on what it was supposed to be like. A Creature driven not by anger, fear or love, but solely by its own true purpose: to register, learn and understand.

A Creature that had everything to be a perfect apprentice.

<hr> wrote:


The Creature didn't exactly heard was was told; instead, it could feel the meanings behind the words.

“Many before you tried to fully understand me, and they failed; you know what happened to them.”
“I do; but I have different reasons. And I am not like them.”

“If you use the knowledge you gain from me to disrupt the balance of nature, the consequences will be unfathomable, especially for you. Do you understand?”
“Yes.”

“Many sacrifices will be needed from you if you follow this path. It is a difficult journey, full of challenges, decoys and wrong ends. You must understand everything to be able to understand me. Is that still what you want?”
“Yes.”

<hr> wrote:


The Creature knew what was at stake, and had a vague impression of what could cost it to win. In any case, it wouldn't require anything from anyone else (there weren't anyone else, after all) and in the end, it would have fulfilled its purpose. It was a path never before trailed; would it be worth? The Creature hoped so.


As always, comments are welcome.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:24 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:ignor-ONG the stumps
Image

A google search for ONG turns up a couple of interesting links.


IndeedONG
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Arrrggghhh!!!

I FINALLY get caught up, and then in the short span between work and now, I miss the growth of the stump / molpymite mound schism and a pun-athon -- that especially cut deep when I saw that I had missed the chance to flash my own pun chops...

And personally, I'm stum-- er, puzzled. They could be stumps or mounds, and I can kinda see both. And -- as usual -- the GLR is minimal help in establishing context, highlighting intent, or revealing reason.

But after analyzing the details, scrutinizing each pixel, and applying some advanced decryption and problem-solving techniques, I think it's pretty clear that...

Spoiler:
Randall is fucking with us again.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:But after analyzing the details, scrutinizing each pixel, and applying some advanced decryption and problem-solving techniques, I think it's pretty clear that...
Spoiler:
Randall is fucking with us again.


In slow motion, I presume.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Valarya wrote:D'awww. How incredibly thoughtful of you. For your efforts, here's another piece of stock for your future fortune.

Spoiler:
Except this is me, and I don't know who'd want a picture of me holding a tarantula. :P
Image

*squeeeeee*
Added to the folder. I'm going to need to have a pet tarantula (possibly several) once I get my own place to live (my parents will have none of this spider-loving "nonsense" :cry: ).
Valarya wrote:I think ChronosDragon said it well in that, among the more scientifically minded, we tend to be a bit less squeamish about squirpy crawlies and termolpies and spiders. Though I'm not scientific at all and just really like spiders, hah. If a bug is flying around me (other than a beesnake of course i love beesnakes), I'll squeal like the girl I am. :D

Indeed. Flying insects are the ones that get to me as well, especially ones that make noise while in flight or look like wasps (e.g. grasshoppers, wasps {duh}, {non-bumble}bees). I had more than a few unpleasant experiences with yellowjackets in my early years.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:My bet is stumps. Just a feeling that we'd have seen a comment otherwise. Do termites like the cool? I thought they liked it pretty hot. Old stumps makes some sense, but no secondary growth to speak of. Cut over sections grow up pretty quick. First in bushes (berries and such), then in trees.

So, not entirely clear. Except not present day Antarctica, of course.


Well, yes, but whether they're in Madagascar, continental Africa, Strylia, or somewhere in the Randallverse, they must be in a semi-arid region -- to judge from the vegetation, and from the fact that not too many newpix ago, they were walking through dunes, i.e. an arid region. In such places, obviously, decay is slow, as is re-forestation, or simply the growth of the kind of scrub and "undergrowth" that precedes/accompanies it in temperate climes.

Also -- though I've yet to find the Time to really ponder the geology+ of Time, as I've been intending to -- such rocks as they've encountered so far don't look, to me, very weathered. Not much water or ice or even just wind to grind them smooth, at least not in [heresy]millennia[/heresy].

All of which is to say: they could be very old stumps indeed. We really don't know, and if we want to find out... well, by now, I'm sure we all know what we have to do.

(ETA: I responded to the wrong post, kind of, and so my post didn't make much sense, even by my standards).

+ If you really want to learn how to Wait for it, study geology, sez I. We have all the Time in the world.=
= Oh, there's always those snooty astrophysicists, but who wants to listen to them? Prissy buggers never get their hands dirty, literally.
Last edited by partingLance on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Hey; hiya.
Been in and [heresy]out [/heresy] lately. Ketchuping while lurking. {Lurkuping?}

So biggest thing first, the Buffeydashery is closed?!?! [Julie London - Cry Me A River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... O_g5Ocr4K0]

Oh, and log me in with the stumpests, too. (When I saw the remark about chainsaws, I thought about crosscut saws myself.)

I've been following a bunch of the "outside links" and coming back here and following some more when:

charlie_grumbles wrote:A google search for ONG turns up a couple of interesting links.

and I was in this You-tube wander:
Molpies (molpy, moply, molpy, moply, molpy ,moply, moply, molpy ,moply, Grapvive, Grapvine)
Charlie and Gracie2 (2 English Setters having fun in a dog park) (been watching pet vids today, started withs squierells, then hamsters)
Fly Me To The Moon (with some guy at a wedding{?} singing, got bored)
[looked down the list of sugesstions and...]
Olivia Ong - Fly Me To The Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bwsyInfDMk)

*****

p.s. how does one "cover" a URL? (ie make that first one a clickable link like this Cry Me A River isn't?)

p.p.s. edit
A new character in "The Last Time Waiter"? kewl. (Remember in LoTR Tolkien added characters right up till the end in the books.)

edit the last
finished my sentence
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 am UTC

I'm thinkONG they're tree stumps.
Image
Oh! This is a little belated, but happy 15th post, mscha!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Hey; hiya.
Been in and [heresy]out [/heresy] lately. Ketchuping while lurking. {Lurkuping?}

So biggest thing first, the Buffeydashery is closed?!?! [Julie London - Cry Me A River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... O_g5Ocr4K0]

Oh, and log me in with the stumpests, too. (When I saw the remark about chainsaws, I thought about crosscut saws myself.)

I've been following a bunch of the "outside links" and coming back here and following some more when:

charlie_grumbles wrote:A google search for ONG turns up a couple of interesting links.

and I was in this You-tube wander:
Molpies (molpy, moply, molpy, moply, molpy ,moply, moply, molpy ,moply, Grapvive, Grapvine)
Charlie and Gracie2 (2 English Setters having fun in a dog park) (been watching pet vids today, started withs squierells, then hamsters)
Fly Me To The Moon (with some guy at a wedding{?} singing, got bored)
[looked down the list of sugesstions and...]
Olivia Ong - Fly Me To The Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bwsyInfDMk)

*****

p.s. how does one "cover" a URL? (ie make that first one a clickable link like this Cry Me A River isn't?)

[url=link]text[/url]
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:[url=link]text[/url]

Thanks for that.
Still learning about this thread-pulling thing.....

I guess that should be stumpists not stumpests.

At least I didn't say "strumpets". That would have been embarrassing.

(Which is something I'm well known for. Foot-keyboard-disease. And making a fool.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9094
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Stumpests sound like particularly irritating molpies that lurk around stumps. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6827
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, here we go: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter ?: The Apprentice
Nice... kind of reminds me of an (Asimov?) story about a computer that kept making itself better and more powerful, but in the end, as the heat death of the universe loomed, still had one more question to answer... and it finally did, saying "Let there be light". I hope your apprentice, if it gets that powerful, doesn't put on a black hat first!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:D'awww. How incredibly thoughtful of you. For your efforts, here's another piece of stock for your future fortune.

Spoiler:
Except this is me, and I don't know who'd want a picture of me holding a tarantula. :P
Image

*squeeeeee*
Added to the folder. I'm going to need to have a pet tarantula (possibly several) once I get my own place to live (my parents will have none of this spider-loving "nonsense" :cry: ).
Valarya wrote:I think ChronosDragon said it well in that, among the more scientifically minded, we tend to be a bit less squeamish about squirpy crawlies and termolpies and spiders. Though I'm not scientific at all and just really like spiders, hah. If a bug is flying around me (other than a beesnake of course i love beesnakes), I'll squeal like the girl I am. :D

Indeed. Flying insects are the ones that get to me as well, especially ones that make noise while in flight or look like wasps (e.g. grasshoppers, wasps {duh}, {non-bumble}bees). I had more than a few unpleasant experiences with yellowjackets in my early years.


I'm not really freaked out by bees and bee-like insects any more. I used to be, but I was cured of it (perhaps perversely) after mowing too close to a wasp's nest and getting stung 12 times. Yeah, that sucked, but I realized that that's probably the worst they can do to me, and it didn't hurt that bad.
Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I'm going to need to have a pet tarantula (possibly several) once I get my own place to live.

Awesome!!! Yes, get several! xD

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:I think ChronosDragon said it well in that, among the more scientifically minded, we tend to be a bit less squeamish about squirpy crawlies and termolpies and spiders. Though I'm not scientific at all and just really like spiders, hah. If a bug is flying around me (other than a beesnake of course i love beesnakes), I'll squeal like the girl I am. :D

Indeed. Flying insects are the ones that get to me as well, especially ones that make noise while in flight or look like wasps (e.g. grasshoppers, wasps {duh}, {non-bumble}bees). I had more than a few unpleasant experiences with yellowjackets in my early years.

The ones that make noise are the worst... like cicadas, even though they're 'gentle giants.' I've had unpleasant experiences with hornets. :( Sometimes even a fly buzzing past me will freak me out for a second, haha.
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Stumpests sound like particularly irritating molpies that lurk around stumps. :)



I hope I'm not that irritating.

I do try to add something to the mix when I'm here.

Like, I've been noticing (like others have been) that Megan looks at the plants more often then Cueball. (At least it's more noticeable with her because of her haircut.) I'm beginning to think she's the "botanist" of the two. Or maybe, even a "medicine woman" in training. (I say in training, because I don't think their people would let the only "medic" they have go off on a Journey without a bunch of fuss.)

ucim wrote:Nice... kind of reminds me of an (Asimov?) story about a computer that kept making itself better and more powerful, but in the end, as the heat death of the universe loomed, still had one more question to answer... and it finally did, saying "Let there be light". I hope your apprentice, if it gets that powerful, doesn't put on a black hat first!

Jose

As a long time fan of The Good Doctor A., I'll be happy to confirm the story is his and called "The Last Question".
(I once saw a version of it put on in a planetarium, very wonderful.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 am UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:So, here we go: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter ?: The Apprentice

Nice... kind of reminds me of an (Asimov?) story about a computer that kept making itself better and more powerful, but in the end, as the heat death of the universe loomed, still had one more question to answer... and it finally did, saying "Let there be light". I hope your apprentice, if it gets that powerful, doesn't put on a black hat first!
Jose

* smiles
I almost went down that route (with the Creature actually becoming Time itself) but then I decided to follow a path closer to the OTC (understanding how everything works).

I guess this is the Bowdoin of The Last Time Waiter. Time to work on the other directionPast...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 43 guests