1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*Wait. Not weight. No weight-posting, please.

So no posting that the four-toed hedgehog weighs between 250 and 600 gramsH (8.8 and 21 ozH)?

Edit: just in case the previous Page Pope's decree didn't do the job, here's mine: I hereby disband the Page Papacy, without precedent.
Image Image Image

Edit2: Speaking of (former) Page Popes; where is HAL9000? Haven't seen him for ages.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Soon a new dynasty of newpage-header will rise, that of the PagePopePreventers...

k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Reading over the past few newpages, it strikes me that the "chatting" environment in here seems to have gone from forum, to chat room, to cocktail party; there is a pretty even mix of topics which one might "overhear" as they read through the thread, much like moving back and forth through a crowded room at a cocktail party.

I'd say it's more of an informal gathering than a cocktail party, but yes, I totally see what you mean :)

But we did have drinks :wink: But yes, that sort of think. Certainly, no need for black ties or cocktail dresses. Unless, of course, you would like to wear formal attire. We're not picky here. Personally I do enjoy wearing black ties. I have a skinny one that goes very well with a white shirt I have with a narrow spread collar. Tied with a Kelvin knot, it looks quite sharp. 8-)

What about hats? May we wear our hats? Image

ETA: Hal is blitzing to ketchup right now.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Edit: just in case the previous Page Pope's decree didn't do the job, here's mine: I hereby disband the Page Papacy, without precedent.
Image Image Image

Edit2: Speaking of (former) Page Popes; where is HAL9000? Haven't seen him for ages.

HAL9000 has been busy and is going to Germany soon, after which he will start a Blitz quest (at least according to his last update). [Edit: ninja'd by BlitzGirl]

Also, if your decree only applies to this page, couldn't prospective primary posters of pending pages just as precociously re-proliferate the paginated papacy?
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*Wait. Not weight. No weight-posting, please.

So no posting that the four-toed hedgehog weighs between 250 and 600 gramsH (8.8 and 21 ozH)?

Edit: just in case the previous Page Pope's decree didn't do the job, here's mine: I hereby disband the Page Papacy, without precedent.
Image Image Image

Several dix ago he did say he had a 45 newpage blitz over the coming wix. Perhaps he is still in the past?

BlitzGirl wrote:Soon a new dynasty of newpage-header will rise, that of the PagePopePreventers...

k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Reading over the past few newpages, it strikes me that the "chatting" environment in here seems to have gone from forum, to chat room, to cocktail party; there is a pretty even mix of topics which one might "overhear" as they read through the thread, much like moving back and forth through a crowded room at a cocktail party.

I'd say it's more of an informal gathering than a cocktail party, but yes, I totally see what you mean :)

But we did have drinks :wink: But yes, that sort of think. Certainly, no need for black ties or cocktail dresses. Unless, of course, you would like to wear formal attire. We're not picky here. Personally I do enjoy wearing black ties. I have a skinny one that goes very well with a white shirt I have with a narrow spread collar. Tied with a Kelvin knot, it looks quite sharp. 8-)

What about hats? May we wear our hats? Image

ETA: Hal is blitzing to ketchup right now.

Most definitly! I am quite fond of hats, myself. Wear them everyday!

Oh, my Hal9000 whereabouts comment was ninja'd.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: Hal is blitzing to ketchup right now.

He was, but:
HAL9000's profile wrote:Last visited: Tue 11 Jun 2013 4:30:52

(Edit: That's Dutch heretic time, so Monday in the US.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

If Papal posters proclaim page-papacies prohibited, how many pix will pass before a prickly Pope protests?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If Papal posters proclaim page-papacies prohibited, how many pix will pass before a prickly Pope protests?

Plenty :)
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Perhaps the papacy is permanently in peril. Pray tell, what precedent think ye will proliferate in its place?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

But the thing about English is that as crazy as it is, we somehow know to put the "the" in front of rivers, oceans, deserts, mountains, boats and not in front of states, people, roads and so on. HOW???

Another interesting linguistic difference that I'm not sure y'all are aware of:
revisions (British) = homework (American)
I still don't believe it, part of me is waiting for one the fine fellow from across the sea to correct me, but I"m pretty sure that's accurate. See to us Yankees the term revisions is reserved for what you do between drafts of an essay.
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"

I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".

Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Edit2: Everything old is new again, again, again, again...

I may have mentioned this before, but in Pittsburgh, well, in certain parts of Pittsburgh, it's "y'ins." Or "you'ns," perhaps. The spelling is debated, but it's pronounced "y'ins." There's a whole Pittsburgh dialect, "Pittsburghese," in which the sentence "The Steelers play downtown, about a mile from me. I'm going to the Giant Eagle (a grocery store chain) in East Liberty (an area of Pittsburgh) to buy some rubber bands and other things," would be pronounced "The Stillers play dahntahn, about a mall from me. I'm going to the Gian Iggle in E Sliberty to buy some gum bands 'n'at."

My dad grew up in a part of Pittsburgh that doesn't speak that dialect, and he proclaims vehemently that it isn't Pittburghese, dammit! I think he's the only one who holds that opinion, though.

rhetorical wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
TheMinim wrote:This thread is neat.

I wonder if I can remember how to resurrect people...

WAKE UP <person>! x3

Behold! I have been resurrected! I have come from PAGE 1, and... my, how the world has changed.
ETA: Oooh, pope. Decree: Coming up with a decree is left as an exercise to the reader.

Wow, one of the Ancient Ones! (Not referring to your age IRL, of course). Welcome back!

Re: Legos:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"

I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".

Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Edit2: Everything old is new again, again, again, again...

Legos. Discuss.

But I do call a single brick a lego, and a pile of them legos. Also you could say that the sandbox is full of sands if you are sand connoisseur and have assembled a collection of exotic sands from around the world, separating each different sand variety into a different area of the sand box.
No no no no no NO! NO MORE LEGO(S)!! For those of you who are wondering why people were warning of a flame war, the Lego debate actual got a little heated, many NewPages ago.
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Generally, if you think of something as a collection of discrete elements you append an s. If you think of it as a volume or body, you do not. Rice, sand, water, and for some people Lego is a body or volume. I see legos as a collection of discrete pieces. For a mouse rices might actually make sense as a term.

Like deers, you mean?

I sometimes say that in jest, though more often I say "deerses!" My boss says deers, and I can't tell if he's serious. :?

taixzo wrote:<snip>
Edit: for some reason the multi-reply plugin decided to bring back all my old replies and add them to this one

I've had that happen as well. ??

Re: The "the" discussion:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:
jovialbard wrote:This all reminds me of that stupid Moon/Sun thing that some astronomers do. Sorry, I don't buy that "Moon is full tonight" is a valid sentence. "The moon is full tonight". It's name isn't Moon, it's name is Luna. And the sun's name isn't Sun, it's Sol. If you refer to it by it's proper name you can drop the "the", but Moon and Sun are not proper names, so the "the" stays.

Gargoyles wrote:Hudson: Must you humans name everything? Nothing's real to you 'til you've named it, given it limits.
Elisa Maza: It's not like that. It's just that, well... uh... things need names.
Hudson: Does the sky need a name? Does the river?
Elisa Maza: The river's called the Hudson.
Hudson: Fine, lass. Then I will be the Hudson as well.

It's a "the" if there's only one of them. The Earth has only one sun and only one moon, so it's "the sun" and "the moon". (Sol and Luna are not the names of the sun and the moon, they are just "sun" and "moon" in Latin.) If you've never been further away than a night's round trip gliding from a castle on the coast of Scotland, you probably only know of one river, so it's "the river". Then some eccentric billionaire brings you to present-day New York and you find out rivers have names, because there's more than one of them so there has to be a way to tell them apart when talking about them.

Good points, but you don't say the Jupiter either... so why do you say the Hudson... <head scratch> I mean I wouldn't say the if I was talking about the guy Hudson (unless I was specifying: "Which Hudson? Oh, THE Hudson."). I guess that has something to do with rivers and other geographical features... wierd :D

Here in the U.S. you mostly hear people say "the Ukraine." In Ukraine and elsewhere (but not everywhere), it's just "Ukraine" (украине in Russian, ункраіне in Ukrainian). I realized this as I was preparing for a trip there. (And Jonathan Safran Foer mentions it in Everything is Illuminated.) I still have to remind myself not to say "the Ukraine," it's so ingrained in me.

Language is weird.
ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Good points, but you don't say the Jupiter either... so why do you say the Hudson... <head scratch>
When you say "The Hudson" you are really saying "The Hudson (River)", which is really "The (Hudson) River". It's just a bit of breve-jive that became standard. Or, another way of putting it, there are sometimes ghost words in English sentences, and they have to be considered. Thus the cookie (the Oreo cookie) becomes the Oreo, and the brick (the Lego brick) becomes the Lego.

Jose

This.

Edited to clarify (hopefully) what I was trying to say.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

AUTOCHONGER...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Perhaps the papacy is permanently in peril. Pray tell, what precedent think ye will proliferate in its place?

PagePopePreventers perhaps pursue the prize of page-top primacy, to preclude a pushy PagePope pupil planning to proceed.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Promulgating precepts preventing paginated papal persons plainly produces profound policies preferring peremptory popsicle provisioning.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

If the Page Papacy doesn't continue, I'll refuse to publish another chapter of The Last Time Waiter.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:If the Page Papacy doesn't continue, I'll refuse to publish another chapter of The Last Time Waiter.

Pray thee! Prevent not the protection of the page papacy, lest prodigious and playful parables persist not presently!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

*ahem*

piddledy poddledy
poor pining people put
off by pope pasturing
poping no more

posthumus papacy
padantic padgentry
pleaseing the people but
no pope du jour
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Prime page positions powerfully pull purposeful, passionate people: posting participants pridefully proceeding, preventing peace.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:As I understand it, all the extra dimensions of string theory are rolled up very tightly so we can't perceive them. I imagine a sheet of paper (2D) rolled up into a line so the inhabitants of the space can perceive only one dimension. Supporters of string theory would tell you that those extra dimensions are as real as quarks.
To me, a dimension is "big enough" if you can "do something" with it, such as move around in it. I'm not sure what meaning (besides a mathematical convenience) can be ascribed to a dimension that is small enough so that you can't do anything with it, such as a second dimension rolled up like a straw, but smaller than the Planck length.
ttscp wrote:Want a mind blowing theory, that, as far as I know, is less controversial? The Holographic Principle: all the information inside a three dimensional space can be encoded on its surface. The wikipedia article is here. Although the article mentions string theory, I think it is actually independent of the rest of it. The implication is that our perceived 3D reality may be 'really' 2DH.
I wonder if this is just a corollary to the fact that there are as many points in a finite region of N dimensional space as there are in K dimensional space, where N and K are any two positive integers. The proof simply relies on the density of the real numbers.
Spoiler:
To show two infinite sets are the same "size", it is sufficient to make a one-to-one correspondence between all members. This is easily done by interleaving the decimal coordinates of two points. Consider a line segment (between 0 and 1), and a plane segment (the square "between" (0,0) and (1,1)) Every point in the plane segment will have an x coordinate and a y coordinate, each between 0 and 1. e.g.
x= 0.337935.... and y=0.860264.... It is not difficult to find a point on the line segment to correspond to this point: simply interleave the digits. The corresponding point is: 0.383670923654.... (I used even and odd digits to make the interleaving easier to note, but the result is general). This can be done for every point1, so the two sets are equivalent. The two infinities are "the same size".

1This works because of the ... Think about it. It would not work if we restricted the space to the (Finite) set of points in the given range that only needed a fixed number of digits to express.
Ray Kremer wrote:You would say the Rocky Mountains are in Colorado, but not Rocky Mountains are in the Colorado
But you could say rocky mountains are in Colorado. You could also say rocky mountains were in the Colorado, but got washed away. (Someone would likely reply that the Colorado was in rocky mountains, but I'm not sure they'd be right either!)

In France, you say "The France". But that's just the French for you! They have a different word for everything!

Ray Kremer wrote:Oreo had better marketing though apparently
... but Hydrox had better cookies. (I wonder where that name came from - it sounds like a rocket fuel!)

(re: no weight posting)mscha wrote:So no posting that the four-toed hedgehog weighs between 250 and 600 grams
That's mass posting. Mass posting is frowned upon for different reasons.

jovialbard wrote:But the thing about English is that as crazy as it is, we somehow know to put the "the" in front of rivers, oceans, deserts, mountains, boats and not in front of states, people, roads and so on. HOW???
By speaking it for [mumble] years. A young child or an early language student would not (yet) know that.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

tinosoph wrote:Okay, we need a drinking game. I suggest we scroll through the OTC and drink at certain words. Mine's "neat".

Blindpost from NP 838: I am amazed no-one in the OTT suggested a drinking game long before this.

Though it may be that some of those who've dropped away were positively driven to drink in the Outside.

Something tells me that by the time I've ketchupped, all but a small hard core of Waiters will be paralytic, or in rehab, or just hopelessly maudlin about the imagined fate of Cuegan and/or some molpy or other.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
tinosoph wrote:Okay, we need a drinking game. I suggest we scroll through the OTC and drink at certain words. Mine's "neat".

Blindpost from NP 838: I am amazed no-one in the OTT suggested a drinking game long before this.

Though it may be that some of those who've dropped away were positively driven to drink in the Outside.

Something tells me that by the time I've ketchupped, all but a small hard core of Waiters will be paralytic, or in rehab, or just hopelessly maudlin about the imagined fate of Cuegan and/or some molpy or other.

It has been suggested before, drinking games that is.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:Want a mind blowing theory, that, as far as I know, is less controversial? The Holographic Principle: all the information inside a three dimensional space can be encoded on its surface. The wikipedia article is here. Although the article mentions string theory, I think it is actually independent of the rest of it. The implication is that our perceived 3D reality may be 'really' 2DH.

*mind blown* (not by the theory, but by seeing it discussed here...)

ttscp wrote:And don't get me started on Wolfram who has posited in A New Kind of Science that our universe can be best modeled as a cellular automaton.

Universal computation is, well, universal. If the universe can be reduced to computation, then universal computation is.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:Blindpost from NP 838: I am amazed no-one in the OTT suggested a drinking game long before this.

Oh, we did. Or rather, ChronosDragon and yappobiscuits did on Newpage 491.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
partingLance wrote:Blindpost from NP 838: I am amazed no-one in the OTT suggested a drinking game long before this.

Oh, we did. Or rather, ChronosDragon and yappobiscuits did on Newpage 491.

And then StratPlayer did it again on NP 730.
StratPlayer wrote:
Montov wrote:Captain foresight: Megan is going to say "Yeah."

Has anyone ever mentioned making a drinking game out of the dialogue of the OTC? Like "take a shot every time M or C say 'yeah'!" I don't think it would be that effective in real-time, but maybe on AubronWood's gif? You'd be plastered within a nanopix...

Leave it to the bleeding musicians....
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Prediction: in the following newpix, or maybe the next, Cueball will step on poor Pokey. (Ouch!)

(No ketchup report from me. Y'all have degenerated into a chat room, so what is there to say about that?)

((OK, that's not quite fair. Especially the early stuff was well worth reading.
jjjdavidson, thanks for the reminder about the Puzzle Championship. I doubt that I'll get around it, though - I can hardly find the time for the OTT. ;)
AluisioASG: you're really on a roll with your Last Time Waiter! Great stuff!
Some nice filks, but can you please say what you're filking? I have no clue what rvloon's “nostrovia” is a parody of, for instance.))

To life, to life, L'Chaim! (From 'Fiddler on the Roof' or 'Anatevka', the musical).

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:AUTOCHONGER...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

AUTOCHONGER...! AUTOCHONGER...?
What has mscha been feeding the newpixbot??????

Unless mscha is actually has a computer next to his coma-pad and an alarm clock??? Yes that's it. He sleeps in catnaps. At nine and three quarters after the Ong, he rolls over, loads his pre-made "word", hits submit, back to snoozeville..... Yeah that's the ticket.

Perhaps a polling of past popes would be prudent to pull a plurality of this political pretention and prevent plumage from being painfully plucked; providing us with a prosperous and pacifying proxy.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:As I understand it, all the extra dimensions of string theory are rolled up very tightly so we can't perceive them. I imagine a sheet of paper (2D) rolled up into a line so the inhabitants of the space can perceive only one dimension. Supporters of string theory would tell you that those extra dimensions are as real as quarks.
To me, a dimension is "big enough" if you can "do something" with it, such as move around in it. I'm not sure what meaning (besides a mathematical convenience) can be ascribed to a dimension that is small enough so that you can't do anything with it, such as a second dimension rolled up like a straw, but smaller than the Planck length.

They needed 11 dimensions to allow enough vibration modes for the strings. Each vibration mode is a different elementary particle (I think). The dimension only needs to be "big enough" to vibrate in, whatever that might be.

ucim wrote:
I wonder if this is just a corollary to the fact that there are as many points in a finite region of N dimensional space as there are in K dimensional space, where N and K are any two positive integers. The proof simply relies on the density of the real numbers.[spoiler]To show two infinite sets are the same "size", it is sufficient to make a one-to-one correspondence between all members. This is easily done by interleaving the decimal coordinates of two points. Consider a line segment (between 0 and 1), and a plane segment (the square "between" (0,0) and (1,1)) Every point in the plane segment will have an x coordinate and a y coordinate, each between 0 and 1. e.g.
x= 0.337935.... and y=0.860264.... It is not difficult to find a point on the line segment to correspond to this point: simply interleave the digits. The corresponding point is: 0.383670923654.... (I used even and odd digits to make the interleaving easier to note, but the result is general). This can be done for every point1, so the two sets are equivalent. The two infinities are "the same size".

Yes, every infinite space with real coordinates has the same infinite size. The infinity of curves, however is larger.
It could be. However, the way I've seen it stated was in terms of information content, not mathematical points. If it were just a corollary to the infinite dimensionality, I don't think they'd make such a big deal of it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:But the thing about English is that as crazy as it is, we somehow know to put the "the" in front of rivers, oceans, deserts, mountains, boats and not in front of states, people, roads and so on. HOW???

I still don't believe it, part of me is waiting for one the fine fellow from across the sea to correct me, but I"m pretty sure that's accurate. See to us Yankees the term revisions is reserved for what you do between drafts of an essay.

Not as far as I'm aware... For schoolwork you do at home, we call it homework. Revision is a term for studying for exams. (In that you're revising, i.e. going back over the stuff you learned over the course of the year)

And the first one... yeah, but I'm not sure about mountains... you don't say "The Mount Everest" or "The Ben Nevis" or "The Kilimanjaro", sure there's the odd exception like "The Matterhorn" but certainly not usually. Mountain ranges though, yes. Maybe that's what you meant anyway. Silly me.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

PONG
That's what I was going to ong! Honest!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:<snip> Source: http://animalsdancingonfood.tumblr.com

:shock:

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> she was happy as a clam <snip>

Yay, I learned a new expression4 today! Here, this one's for you (don't get distracted by the sign, look at the base):
Spoiler:

4: neat
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:However, the way I've seen it stated was in terms of information content, not mathematical points. If it were just a corollary to the infinite dimensionality, I don't think they'd make such a big deal of it.
I suppose, which makes me wonder what it is that is critically different about it. Information can be represented by points (encoded in the real numbers), and that carries the size thing right along with it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Wait, no movement from the Hedgemolpy?
Cueball! You broke it!!!!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote: So, in this view (my story, and I'm stickin' to it), the universe isn't "built up" from small things like quarks. It just IS. We use quarks as a way to get a simple (hmmm) way to think about that complexity. Neither does it embody mathematical principles. People think those up themselves. But math is also used to build "sensible" models (i.e. predictive models) of how it all hangs together.

So both mathematics and physics are how we encode our observations in order to further understand them?

That is pretty accurate for physics models. Math is more abstract. Some math models attempt to capture "reality" others are just "for the pure fun of it." Few mathematicians (few, not none) care much if the math they create has application in reality.

charlie_grumbles, have you read Arthur C. Clarke's Tales from the 'White Hart'? In one of those stories, I think, a character recites what he describes as an old toast: "Here's to pure mathematics: may it never be of any use to anyone."

I'm very far from being a mathematician, but I've always liked that, for some reason.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:

*mind blown* (not by the theory, but by seeing it discussed here...)

Why not? I was going to make a snarky comment here, but really, there are some awfully smart people posting on this thread.

mathrec wrote:
ttscp wrote:And don't get me started on Wolfram who has posited in A New Kind of Science that our universe can be best modeled as a cellular automaton.

Universal computation is, well, universal. If the universe can be reduced to computation, then universal computation is.

Yeah, I'm never sure whether the idea is tautology, or something deep.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:AUTOCHONGER...! AUTOCHONGER...?
What has mscha been feeding the newpixbot??????

Some fresh regexes, of course. Image

(Since a few dix, newpixbot checks for words containing ‘[aeiou]ng’, then replaces that with ‘ong’ – i.e. it ONGifies the word.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Not as far as I'm aware... For schoolwork you do at home, we call it homework. Revision is a term for studying for exams. (In that you're revising, i.e. going back over the stuff you learned over the course of the year)

And the first one... yeah, but I'm not sure about mountains... you don't say "The Mount Everest" or "The Ben Nevis" or "The Kilimanjaro", sure there's the odd exception like "The Matterhorn" but certainly not usually.

Oh yeah, that was it, exams, got that mixed up. Still seems really strange to me :)

eta: also it occurs to me that the mountains you mention are individual not mountain ranges (right?) so that could be the difference there.
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:However, the way I've seen it stated was in terms of information content, not mathematical points. If it were just a corollary to the infinite dimensionality, I don't think they'd make such a big deal of it.
I suppose, which makes me wonder what it is that is critically different about it. Information can be represented by points (encoded in the real numbers), and that carries the size thing right along with it.

Jose

Doesn't the Planck length interfere with the construction that proves the equivalence of N-D and K-D? I mean as you extend the number of digits in the decimal fraction you get start to get differences that refer to unmeasurable quantities.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Here's a silly little original poem while we wait for the pokeymolp to move:

Pricklymolp and Molpypoke

(perhaps quite porcupine-y)
Perchanced upon a passing pair
With plain pates, quite un-spiny.

Molpypoke told Pricklymolp,
"Pip, pip! I'm pulling out:
These prancing people panic me
As they parade about!"

Pricklymolp told Molpypoke,
"Please proceed precisely;
I plan to peek at this odd pair,
See if they're cruel or nicely."

Molpypoke left Pricklymolp
But on a perch unstable
And presently the pig plunged down
His perfect plot disabled

Pricklymolp cried, "Molpypoke!
Pray, report of me
To all my pals and partners
And prodigious progeny!"

Molpypoke saw Pricklymolp
Painstakingly picked up
By the bald-pated person,
Just like a puckish pup.

Pricklymolp said, "Molpypoke,
Perhaps he plans no pain
Perhaps he'll pass me by
If I a placid pose retain!"

Molpypoke watched Pricklymolp
Placed back upon the ground
The pair proceeded pacing past
The pet that they had found

Perched patient on the hill.
Perhaps long past this poor poem's end
They shall be Waiting still.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here's a silly little original poem while we wait for the pokeymolp to move:

Spoiler:

As they parade about!"

But on a perch unstable

Pray, report of me
And prodigious progeny!"

Painstakingly picked up
Just like a puckish pup.

Perhaps he plans no pain
Perhaps he'll pass me by

LOVED IT. :) You could turn it into a children's book and sell it.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Here's a silly little original poem while we wait for the pokeymolp to move:

Spoiler:

As they parade about!"

But on a perch unstable

Pray, report of me
And prodigious progeny!"

Painstakingly picked up
Just like a puckish pup.

Perhaps he plans no pain
Perhaps he'll pass me by

LOVED IT. :) You could turn it into a children's book and sell it.

Aye! Twas fantastic!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”