1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Here's an animation of just the aftermath (or is that aftermaths? Image) of the attack, zoomed in on Cuegan:

Edit: papified again... until someone's firstpost gets approved. Still no papal orders. Simply go on waiting for it and making the OTT interesting, and not too intimidating for newbies.

Edit2: it does look like a kiss, at this zoom level...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

FIVE

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Hi, I'm decomaed again. :o
Dried blood doesn't stay red...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

A peck on the forehead - not the kind of kiss I hoped to see

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

Well, thanks for sticking with us anyway! :) Lurkers and those who pop in and out are more than welcome - our apologies if we become too confusing.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

FOUR

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

BeesnakONG
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

DITTONG
Spoiler:

nerdsniped wrote:Nothong?
Spoiler:
ETA: Megan moved her arms a bit. I had to flip back and forth to see it.

Dang, missed it! And ninja'd to boot!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

Any ideas on how to make it less so? We have the wiki but that might be intimidating itself.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

justjoinedtosayiloveyou

Postby justjoinedtosayiloveyou » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Created this account just to say that I've been here from the start, managed to keep up with the first 30 pages or so, then lost it terribly. You guys are quick! I still check in here everyday though but only tend to read the most recent page on the forum unless something especially exciting has happened in the OTC or there's something I don't get, because I rely on you guys to explain things to me and share my excitement, even if you don't know I'm there ;) Without the OTT I don't think the OTC would mean half as much to me. Keep it up guys!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:They're not kissONG
Spoiler:
Megan wrote:I like it so much I'm coloring it a beautiful red.

I have a question for the native speakers: Do you read Megan's sentence as "I like the flag so much [, hence] I'm coloring it a beautiful red." or as "I like the fact so much [that] I'm coloring it a beautiful red."? And are both options possible for a native speaker?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

I have a question for the native speakers: Do you read Megan's sentence as "I like the flag so much [, hence] I'm coloring it a beautiful red." or as "I like the fact so much [that] I'm coloring it a beautiful red."? And are both options possible for a native speaker?

I read it as, "I like the flag" more than "I like that I'm coloring it." I guess either is possible, but I'd probably express the second one differently, maybe something like, "The red on it is beautiful." And, it is a bit weird to say either when coloring it with your own blood.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:One last thing before I coma, just like to point out my new avatar :) It's not part of a gif right now (*hopes he doesn't offend certain persons*) but it could be if a mad haberdasher wanted to come along and haberdash it.

That's it, coma time.

I'll add you to my list of folk to HALberdash once I get back home.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

I read it as, "I like the flag" more than "I like that I'm coloring it." I guess either is possible, but I'd probably express the second one differently, maybe something like, "The red on it is beautiful." And, it is a bit weird to say either when coloring it with your own blood.

Thank you for your answer! That's how I read it first, too, before wondering about the sentence. I think we would express many sentences differently than Cuegan, though... Image
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
SBN wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

Thank you for your answer! That's how I read it first, too, before wondering about the sentence. I think we would express many sentences differently than Cuegan, though... Image

My take is that it's kind of a sarcastic, humorous response.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

I think that M is go(i)ng to faint any newpix now.
It's about time.

BlitzGirl

We Love Our Lurkers!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

justjoinedtosayiloveyou wrote:Created this account just to say that I've been here from the start, managed to keep up with the first 30 pages or so, then lost it terribly. You guys are quick! I still check in here everyday though but only tend to read the most recent page on the forum unless something especially exciting has happened in the OTC or there's something I don't get, because I rely on you guys to explain things to me and share my excitement, even if you don't know I'm there ;) Without the OTT I don't think the OTC would mean half as much to me. Keep it up guys!

We love you too! Image It's nice to hear from fellow Time-fans, and refreshing to see people that aren't hard-core OTTers popping in to say hello. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

No need to hide on the last post of a page. ;)

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Oh, I just noticed that my old prediction from way back (sorta) came true. Cool.
Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:NOTICEONG...
If so, nicely predicted by Eliram:
Eliram wrote:I think it's about time that they stop to look back at the view. The sea and river should be very nicely displayed from their current height.

Yeah, that was weird. They mentioned the sea too, and within a few newframes from my wild prediction.
Let me try another one...

:idea: [PREDICTION]In one of the upcoming frames M&C will come across some sort of a stone structure, perhaps a ruin of a hut or a deserted aqueduct.[/PREDICTION] :idea:

So my next prediction is: :idea: [PREDICTION]Megan is going to faint, Cueball will be clueless as usual, then someone will appear and help him.[/PREDICTION] :idea:
It's about time.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

justjoinedtosayiloveyou wrote:Created this account just to say that I've been here from the start, managed to keep up with the first 30 pages or so, then lost it terribly. You guys are quick! I still check in here everyday though but only tend to read the most recent page on the forum unless something especially exciting has happened in the OTC or there's something I don't get, because I rely on you guys to explain things to me and share my excitement, even if you don't know I'm there ;) Without the OTT I don't think the OTC would mean half as much to me. Keep it up guys!

Haha, your username just makes that <3
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

justtitledtosayweloveyoutoo

Postby HES » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Hmm, is np30 around when the madness began? I was thankfully only a lurker at that point, and it was certainly enough to throw people off (I suppose that was the point).

Without the OTT, I'd have several hours extra each day, and I simply wouldn't know what to do with them...
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

THREE

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

I'm not posting the ONG because I expect to be ninja'd.
[edit] Loopy beesnake! But now that I've wasted my post notONGing I can't do it because editing it in is bad.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I would've let you have it, ED, but fair enough :P

BEESNAKEONG

ETA: Oh, just saw you used the exact same ong last time... can't think of anything else :oops:
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

libra

Postby libra » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl

Bandaidfly

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Indeed! Perhaps it brings aid for Megan! Perhaps Cueball will repurpose it into a bandage!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

TWO

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

I would have had it if I tried, but I forgot I had a tab open to it because it's hard to see on my phone :P
I wonder what the beesnake is up to.

Hmm BlitzGirl has ninja'd me with some suggestions. How long have you been awake?

[edit] yappobiscuits mine didn't have the third E
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

See: I can do happy predictions too!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Perhaps it is the flutterbee, who miraculously survived the brutal raptor's attack (but only by thwapping it with a sturdy twig)!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

I can also do happy predictions, but don't want to

Postby HES » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

The beesnake is coming to remind them that there is a stream just ahead, and that they have a mountain to be climbing, and so Megan needs to man up. Then it will get swoop-munched by a raptor and remind them life is dangerous, and that Megan needs to man downq before cuegan are a manw down

qopposite of man up, and is totally a phrase now
win the genderless 'human' sense

ETA: I'd better get baking...
Last edited by HES on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

ONE

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps it is the flutterbee, who miraculously survived the brutal raptor's attack (but only by thwapping it with a sturdy twig)!

I find that hard to believe. Perhaps Time travel?

I like your metaphors( HES

(neat

yappobiscuits

Re: Bandaidfly

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed! Perhaps it brings aid for Megan! Perhaps Cueball will repurpose it into a bandage!

Maybe it's not a beesnake at all, but the bandage fairy!

Ooh, and *prepares to congratulate E.D.* :D

ggh

Naughty or not

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Good morning! I'm a few pages back, but should be there soon.
SBN wrote:Warning, the following bit might be unsuitable for some readers.
Spoiler:
In real life, it could well be that Megan has better supplies than Cueball, assuming they are out unprepared. Our first aid kit contains pads, not for a monthly visitor, but because they soak up all forms of blood the same.

I'll spoiler my reply to this, but really, I think there's good info in here for anyone. Just don't read if feminine products disturb you.
Spoiler:
You are too right! I had a bit of a stumble hiking in the Rocky Mountains with my brother - ended up coming down the mountain with a tampon strapped to my elbow. Very effective, and the (cute) ranger at the ranger station where we went to clean it up thought I was clever.

But that's not all these wee wonders are good for. There are lots of car break-ins where I park, and I have a soft-top Miata/MX5, so I feel particularly vulnerable. But I've never been the victim (knock on wood) I think due in part to my sprinkling these handy critters throughout my car. There is no better teenage-boy repellant than a tampon.

Belated congrats on your 500th in-thread post, Azule!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: ONE

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

I find time-traveling fluttermolpies hard to believe. Maybe it's the fluttermolpy's brother?

I dislike your parenthesis) ED

)they're better closed

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Any ideas on how to make it less so? We have the wiki but that might be intimidating itself.

Here's an idea: make an "introduction to the thread" page on the Wiki; keep it short (a few paragraphs), light, and free of links. (Links make you think you haven't done your job until you've clicked all of them.) Then, as many of us as possible include a link to the introduction in our sigs.

(I might maybe try to put this together at some point... if I can muster more energy than I seem to have this afternix. Sometimes there seems to be more gravity than usual. If someone else feels inspired, then by all means go for it.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

BlitzGirl

ZERO

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Excellent idea, nerdsniped! :) I think it might be better if somebody less entrenched in the ways of the OTT wrote it, to keep it relatable to newcomers, so I won't do it myself. But I think that would be a very useful page!

Earthling on Mars wrote:I find time-traveling fluttermolpies hard to believe. Maybe it's the fluttermolpy's brother?

Spoiler:
InigoFlutterbee.png
InigoFlutterbee.png (111.82 KiB) Viewed 9692 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Re: FIVE

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Hi, I'm decomaed again. :o
Dried blood doesn't stay red...

Hey, it does in the movies :mrgreen:

Plus how do you know what happens to stickpeopleblood?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Eternal Density

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:I find time-traveling fluttermolpies hard to believe. Maybe it's the fluttermolpy's brother?
A bereaved brother seemed to sad to suggest, since Cueball was almost this. Thanks for the closure of parenthesis, I knew someone would.

Anyhow I would like to take this opportunity to tender my resignation recommend some music for listening while waiting for it: Timelapse Kingdom from C418's album 1.2 Newpix of Fame. It just seems to fit well.

You may begin any planned festivities. I shall have some breakfast.

Pre-post BlitzGirl ninja edit: nice molpy-mome-meme-work

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Happy 1000th, Eternal Density! Welcome to the Millennials. (Only 405 in the OTT, though... But I'm sure you'll get that up to 1000 soon as well.)
Have some cupcakes.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

for (2..1000) {

}

source
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

F.A.B, Virgil!

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Wooo! Happy 1000, ED!

Hope you don't mind recycled BlitzCake, and hope BlitzGirl doesn't mind sharing her, erm, husband?
Spoiler:
1000_Cake ED.jpg

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
SBN wrote:

Here's an idea: make an "introduction to the thread" page on the Wiki; keep it short (a few paragraphs), light, and free of links. (Links make you think you haven't done your job until you've clicked all of them.) Then, as many of us as possible include a link to the introduction in our sigs.

(I might maybe try to put this together at some point... if I can muster more energy than I seem to have this afternix. Sometimes there seems to be more gravity than usual. If someone else feels inspired, then by all means go for it.)

I was about to suggest this, but I got introninja'd. Just a brief page to explain Time, and some of our terms and customs such as onging, pagepapacies, blitzing and so on.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Not really. The main source of of intimidation is the length and pace. I mostly check the thread when something of note occurs in the comic and although I enjoy reading it, I do feel a bit weary of joining in knowing that the next time I'm back there will be another thirty pages I'd feel obligated to catch up with.

That being said I do like the thread and wholly agree with justjoinedtosayiloveyou's sentiments that without the OTT I wouldn't care nearly so much about the OTC. :D

*returns to the shadows*

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

PolydactylONG
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

om nom nom i want a divorce

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hope you don't mind recycled BlitzCake, and hope BlitzGirl doesn't mind sharing her, erm, husband?

It's true, I eloped with my cake. But like many such marriages, it was brief. I moved on, and we divorced around my 1100-post mark.

Congrats, Eternal Density! More cake:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Pancakes for breakfast!

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Thanks so much!

mscha wrote:Happy 1000th, Eternal Density! Welcome to the Millennials. (Only 405 in the OTT, though... But I'm sure you'll get that up to 1000 soon as well.)
Have some cupcakes.
Spoiler:

for (2..1000) {

}

source
That few? Wow I have a lot of work ahead of me.
yappobiscuits wrote:Wooo! Happy 1000, ED!

Hope you don't mind recycled BlitzCake, and hope BlitzGirl doesn't mind sharing her, erm, husband?
Spoiler:
1000_Cake ED.jpg
Thanks!
Thanks BlitzGirl too, but I'm still marrying the first cupcake from mscha. ;D

Speaking of pancakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-NM5NDkfU

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”