1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Niclep loved to run through the trees and swim in the river.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Because I don't think I've said this before, thanks mscha for all the animations. They're very useful.

ETA: Hotdog Vendor decree: cause a temporal paradox and confuse BlitzGirl.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Hello all. I am back from my trip to the mountains, and return on my 500th post! :D

Kieryn wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypovolemia wrote:The patient may feel dizzy, faint, nauseated, or very thirsty. These signs are also characteristic of most types of shock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypovolemia

I am still pretty concerned for Megan's wellbeing.

Also, Just realized my last post (where I talked about my 500th being on the top of newpage 901 and the 36000th post) was itself my binary 1000000000th. Neat :-)

Indeed, I was not too concerned about Megan until she said that only now did it start to hurt, and she was quite thirsty. She says she can walk on it, but how far?

Tatiana wrote:We call them lightning bugs here. Though they look nothing like lightning. Still, fireflies just sounds wrong to me. I didn't know their numbers were declining. :( We used to catch them and put them in jars to use as impromptu lanterns. Ours never blinked simultaneously, though I've heard some do, and think it would look awesome. I did notice that the ones we saw most in my youth had a long sustained period of lighting a second or two or three long, whereas the ones I see today most all do quick blink blinks of light. I didn't know why that might be until I read that different varieties have different timings of their lights.

The only place I have heard of where all male fireflies flash simultaneously is a population up in the Great Smokey Mountains. I do hope to see it for myself whilst camping and hiking in the area, a few wips from now.

Sciscitor wrote:
SBN wrote:There are many ways to properly enjoy Time. The best way is the one that suits you best. This can change. Do not feel you must enjoy Time the way anyone else does if that way does not suit you. Do not feel you must continue enjoying it the same way if it stops suiting you.

I'd leave out the "properly". Just state, that there are many ways to enjoy Time. Noone has to enjoy it properly.

In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! All versions can be seen and downloaded at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.
cot3.jpg

Oooh. I seem to be a slightly brighter star in the constellation. Yet, I am a little sad to see that there is a star that no longer shines here on the OTT.

edfel wrote:What are the bets currently on? Will they go left or right? Will Cueball see some people in the structure (or the otherway round), and they'll come to help with advanced medical kits? Or will Cuegan ride back home on a raft, or on Horslpy back? Or paragliding?
I know I need to expand the map to the left... maybe GLR thought we didn't want Cuegan to go farher since they reached the border of the map: I hope not, I don't want to be responsible for Megan's attack by Lucky :(

Anyway, I've added "human marks" sightings to the map. I'd like to do the same with molpies, although I still don't know how to do it simply (is the wiki complete about molpy sightings? are the animated gifs collected in one place?)

I am always excited to see updates to your wonderful maps. I believe the walk home would prove too far. Its best the exit frame right, and head to the top of the mountain.

HAL9000 wrote:Well. I've only got 15NP remaining as of this posting, having cut the gap that remained yesterday cleanly in half. Before I coma, I just want to express my endless praise for the Nightmare Before Christmas filkers. I know I'm trying not to respond to individual posts too often, but I love that film toouch to not say anything. I'm glad that it's showed up in the OTT.

Weren't they great!? Good luck Hal9000. Keep going!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I am always excited to see updates to your wonderful maps. I believe the walk home would prove too far. Its best the exit frame right, and head to the top of the mountain.

And then do what? There is no water at the top of a mountain. There is no first aid at the top of a mountain.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:I find time-traveling fluttermolpies hard to believe. Maybe it's the fluttermolpy's brother?

How about Imago Flutterbee?

:lol: Maybe that was name of his killed brother.

mscha wrote:Structure ONG the mountain
Spoiler:

Maybe it's this? Didn't we meet there anyway?
Spoiler:

Latent22 wrote:Hello again everyone. Been off on my honeymoon in Europe for the last month. I don't know if I have time to re read the last months forum posts now though :/

Welcome back! Please have the OTT to your liking, with ketchup, fry sauce, or skipped!
edit: sort-of-ninja'd by jjjdavidson's edit
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Have (and share!) some cake, k.bookbinder!

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 am UTC

BEATROOPERONG

Eternal Density

One day, Niclep decided to see where the river went to.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Also, explanationg!
So I guess it's scratched a bit on the surface but not a deep wound and the muscle is probably okay.
Happy 500th k.bookbinder!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:11 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:I am always excited to see updates to your wonderful maps. I believe the walk home would prove too far. Its best the exit frame right, and head to the top of the mountain.

And then do what? There is no water at the top of a mountain. There is no first aid at the top of a mountain.

There may be both, actually. We know now that there is a structure up there. That may indicate inhabitants. As for water, certainly one might find even small streams running from the top of the mountain, as we know it feeds several small rivers, and possibly the larger one as well.

mscha wrote:Have (and share!) some cake, k.bookbinder!

After the hike this past wipend, I can use some cake! Yum! Help yourselves!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 am UTC

In real life, I doubt that a wild meowmolpy attack would have this kind of outcome, unless the cat were not at all interested in anything but the catnip in the bag. So, for the story's sake, I suspect they will not have been injured so much they decide to return. But, they are certainly on notice. If they do decide to continue on up the mountain, they will probably need help.

I predict they will find some.

@Flado, @NoMouse, @BytEfLUSh ...and I am now remembering that it was Romanian that I was unable to learn before the trip. SerboCroatian I did learn, largely through tapes and writing SC words on pieces of paper and pasting them all over the place (the word for table on the table, the word for outside on the window, etc). Very effective, actually. Alas, with my CRS, most of that has gone into hiding.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
SBN wrote:There are many ways to properly enjoy Time. The best way is the one that suits you best. This can change. Do not feel you must enjoy Time the way anyone else does if that way does not suit you. Do not feel you must continue enjoying it the same way if it stops suiting you.

I'd leave out the "properly". Just state, that there are many ways to enjoy Time. Noone has to enjoy it properly.

In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! All versions can be seen and downloaded at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor.
cot3.jpg

Yum, more data in delicious graphic flavor! Thank you for making these. :D

SBN wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:re: detecting references - I'd just use anything that starts a line with @ and is followed by a Timewaiter's name. That should get most of them. Of course, it wouldn't get this one, but that's ok. It's not a named reference.

It would have to somehow account for shortened names too, like a lot of people just call me "Yappo", most people just call HAL9000 "HAL"...

And, while you are the only yappo, at least for awhile we had more than one Hal.

Meanwhile, there are a few of us posters, one OTC molpy and numerous molpies of the lol- and house- variety which might all be referred to as "cat" in the OTT.

spamjam wrote:BEATROOPERONG
Spoiler:

Another example of not entirely natural language. I've heard of people putting weight on their leg, or walking on it, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they were leaning on their leg. That sounds disturbingly like her leg has come detached, and she's using it as a cane.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Structures on tops of mountains are pretty rare, even in the present day. There are occasional tourist gift shops, weather stations (Mount Washington that I was climbing on a few wips ago has both), ski facilities, and antennas and broadcast facilities, but they don't seem likely in Cuegan's world.

What other structures are found on the tops of mountains? I predict that the structure they see is an observatory, or the ruins of one. But can they ever get there to find out?

mscha wrote:Megan can walk ONG...
Spoiler:

But should she? That's an entirely different question, for which the answer is very likely: no.

In a wilderness survival situation (which this appears to be) where no one is searching for her or organizing a rescue, the answer is yes, she should walk if she can. Specifically, she should travel any way she can to get closer to resources and assistance. Climbing farther up a mountain to reach an unknown structure would not be wise... and yet, I suspect they will, and as a curious spectator I would prefer that.

ETA: Another demonstration of the circularity of the Thread of Time. Back in April, several correspondents speculated that the structure Megan and Cueball were building above the sand castles on the beach was going to be some sort of observatory.
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:What other structures are found on the tops of mountains?

Schilthorn, Switzerland.
Known best from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Edit: not that I think they're in Switzerland... Not a lot of Baobabs and large Meowlpies there. Or sea.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:40 am UTC

akacat wrote:Meanwhile, there are a few of us posters, one OTC molpy and numerous molpies of the lol- and house- variety which might all be referred to as "cat" in the OTT.

True, true. I appear to the lone wolpy representative though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 am UTC

akacat wrote:Meanwhile, there are a few of us posters, one OTC molpy and numerous molpies of the lol- and house- variety which might all be referred to as "cat" in the OTT.
Yes, but when being directly referenced, are you still referred to as "cat" or by your full handle, to distinguish one cat from another? I suspect the latter, mostly, and so the data would not really be all that noisy.

akacat, referring to the comic dialog wrote:
Cuegan wrote:Megan: "It hurts, but it doesn't really hurt more when I lean on it."
Cueball: "That's good, at least."
Another example of not entirely natural language. I've heard of people putting weight on their leg, or walking on it, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they were leaning on their leg. That sounds disturbingly like her leg has come detached, and she's using it as a cane.
I don't see anything unnatural about that. Hearing it it strikes me as normal, and as something I might easily say.

Ok, I'm not the most normal in the bunch, I suppose. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:47 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Structures on tops of mountains are pretty rare, even in the present day. There are occasional tourist gift shops, weather stations (Mount Washington that I was climbing on a few wips ago has both), ski facilities, and antennas and broadcast facilities, but they don't seem likely in Cuegan's world.

What other structures are found on the tops of mountains? I predict that the structure they see is an observatory, or the ruins of one. But can they ever get there to find out?

It could be something like this:
Spoiler:

Or this:
Spoiler:

Or this:
Spoiler:

HES

Could be a regional thing

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 am UTC

akacat wrote:
spamjam wrote:BEATROOPERONG
Spoiler:

I'd use it in this situation. Maybe there's a subtle difference, as to whether there was weight on it already, but I'd consider the two interchangeable. At least, it didn't seem odd to me.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

O Connected Ones, adopt a poster!

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 am UTC

I found this lonely poster
in the Constellations of Time.
I wanted to give him a line
so he didn't have to wander
around the Edge of Time.

RandomPoem wrote:
gladiolas wrote:My Ipad wouldn't show the comic, just the title and the arrow icons. It didn't show the comic on this discussion thread either.

Quicksilver posted a link to an Enya video, but on my Ipad I'm informed the owner hasn't enabled its viewing on an Ipad.

DSDM spelled knoll as gnoll, which is a cross between a gnome and a troll. I think he meant a knoll. :)

A gnoll exists in a lot of fantasy games, such as Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft. He did mean knoll, but shame on you for not knowing what a gnoll is. :wink:

Anyway, this is definitely one of the best comics in a while; many accolades to Randall.

I didn't know what a gnoll is either.
Maybe I should write a program to play D&D for (or with, but not while or if) me.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

After much swimming, Niclep nearly fell down a waterfall!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 am UTC

SoberONG thoughts
Cue's really showing a lot of thought and concern here.

HES

Better than falling down a wowterfall

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Cue's really showing a lot of thought and concern here.

And throwing all my happy thoughts out the window
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:What other structures are found on the tops of mountains? I predict that the structure they see is an observatory, or the ruins of one. But can they ever get there to find out?

You mean like this?

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Fortunately he heard the sound and left the water in time.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 am UTC

HES wrote:

Well I think it means that they'll be extra careful. It's better to acknowledge the problem rather than try to ignore it. (Like the time I walked for several minutes on what was a badly sprained ankle.) And isn't seeing that Cue cares so much its own happy thought? Though yeah it's troubling that Megan is so injured :(

@taixzo: WOW

ucim

Re: After much swimming, Niclep nearly fell down a waterfall

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:

Cue's really showing a lot of thought and concern here.
... or perhaps subtly playing the "I'm tired of this, let's go back" card.

Jose

HES

Nice manip, taixzo. Though I'd bet on "neat"

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HES wrote:

Well I think it means that they'll be extra careful. It's better to acknowledge the problem rather than try to ignore it. (Like the time I walked for several minutes on what was a badly sprained ankle.) And isn't seeing that Cue cares so much its own happy thought? Though yeah it's troubling that Megan is so injured :(

@taixzo: WOW

...or cycling for a wix despite the grinding noise that turned out to be a sheared axle. I guess you're right [hopeful ongwardness]
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Rule110 wrote:What other structures are found on the tops of mountains? I predict that the structure they see is an observatory, or the ruins of one. But can they ever get there to find out?

You mean like this?

Spoiler:

Well, the previous people did like building castles!

Eternal Density

It was a long downhill run to get around the waterfall.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:
... or perhaps subtly playing the "I'm tired of this, let's go back" card.
Jose
Hmm, I don't think he's that cold. But it does make sense as a secondary ulterior motive.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:In other news:
cot3.jpg

Another awesome chart! I wish I could print huge posters of this. (That is, I wish I could do that without paying a print shop a lot of money for it.)

If I might make a suggestion... it appears you're using a logarithmic function or something similar rather than a linear scale to map between the number of posts and the text size of each name. But even so, the stars of the many worthy contributors who only posted one or a handful of posts seem to be growing smaller and dimmer relative to our brightest stars as the thread (and the higher post counts) grow. Consider using a different curve or adding an offset.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Structures on tops of mountains are pretty rare, even in the present day. There are occasional tourist gift shops, weather stations (Mount Washington that I was climbing on a few wips ago has both), ski facilities, and antennas and broadcast facilities, but they don't seem likely in Cuegan's world.

It could be something like this:
Spoiler:

Or this:
Spoiler:

Or this:
Spoiler:

Possible. (And some very beautiful pictures, by the way) But in an otherwise remote and very sparsely populated area, I'm still thinking observatory.

A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:

You mean like this?

Spoiler:

Well, the previous people did like building castles!

I imagine if they did find something like that, there'd be a first aid kit in there.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Bob's my ONGcle

Jose

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:Bob's my ONGcle
Spoiler:

Jose

Summon LaPetite!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)

I do apologize, but I had to laugh. Because an attack from Lucky was not odd at all ;)

Also, most such mountain temples are purposefully remote and difficult to access. Could it be that LaPetite is from some hermitage in the mountains? Some secret order, perhaps?

Also, though we have not seen others on their journey up the mountains, from the sea, it may be noted that we have not seen others on this side of the mountain. Perhaps the structure at the top belongs to a village not seen from the side Cuegan are climbing, but extend downward on the opposite side.

HES

"emiT" :0911 :eR

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Possible. (And some very beautiful pictures, by the way) But in an otherwise remote and very sparsely populated area, I'm still thinking observatory.

A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)

Silent monks!

From whom, Cueball? LaPetite? Absent hill people? Mystic healing molpies?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Rule110 wrote:A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)

I do apologize, but I had to laugh. Because an attack from Lucky was not odd at all ;)

Also, most such mountain temples are purposefully remote and difficult to access. Could it be that LaPetite is from some hermitage in the mountains? Some secret order, perhaps?

Also, though we have not seen others on their journey up the mountains, from the sea, it may be noted that we have not seen others on this side of the mountain. Perhaps the structure at the top belongs to a village not seen from the side Cuegan are climbing, but extend downward on the opposite side.

Well, we know they have to be upriver of Megball. Otherwise the wood and leaves and things from the people in the hills wouldn't come down.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Jose

So how will he get help?
Signal fire?
Signal flares?
Cell phone?
I hope he's not planning on leaving her there to get help
(I hope he's seen the English patient)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

HES

Help! I need somebody. Not just anybody.

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Now would be a good time for an internet 'loon, Cory Doctorow or a ferretmolpy to swoop/glide/drift into frame
He/Him/His Image

SkUrRiEr

Re: Stop! HES's time!

Postby SkUrRiEr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Massive ketchup, I managed to remain Outside all day yestip which was annoying.

HES wrote:She's colouring it with a felt tip from her bag-of-all-things, obviously. Nothing says "I love you" like felt tip pens...

Spoiler:
...I'm not very good at relationships

Exactly, I recall a party where a semi-successful drunk hookup involved both parties writing on each others' faces with felt tip pens...

Spoiler:
...Neither am I

kenmelken wrote:
SkUrRiEr wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Well, I'm very eager to learn why Megan is not okay and where they will journey next, but I'm about to go ghost-town exploring for the rest of the day! (One of my favorite hobbies).

Sounds like fun, where are you located?

Utah. TONS of ghost towns in the 4-corners states. Yesterday's hike was a bit of a bust. Not nearly as many accessible remains as anticipated, though we did see, I kid you not, a cairn (really just pile of extra rocks used for making rock fences in a rural Jewish community in 1911 that ultimately failed).

Awesome! I've poked around in various places in Melbourne Australia, however they've mostly been drains or car parks. My greatest accomplishment to date was to find where the photo I found on the SomethingAwful forums which started this whole obsession off was taken.

wizpretz wrote:
azule wrote:
ucim wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:It confirms my speculation, that fewer new users find the OTT (or do find it but refrain from posting).
I suspect the latter. A thread this seaish could be intimidating in that even if one's post gets responded to, finding that response (to continue to participate) could be a challenge, especially if the response does not include a quote.
From the "other" thread it appears that we are intimidating, probably by size, and also by unique vocabulary. Being in with the crowd you want to join means following their social rules. It's hard to get across as an impression to others that there isn't a requirement to speak OTTer, but just to be friendly (or grumbly) and share. Or lurk. :(

I imagine it could be difficult to understand if someone came in at this point. They'd need to read through hundreds of pages to fully understand what we're talking about sometimes. Also, some people feel the need to start from the beginning for any thread.

As a non-blitzed noob, I find it somewhat easy to get what people mean. There's a few odd conventions, e.g. week => wip, (And needle pulled things, comas, and other such madness) but nothing overly complicated. And even if I don't understand, it's still fun!. :)

SBN wrote:
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:As someone who lurks in the background, usually checking in less than daily, I can confirm the thread is a bit intimidating to an outsider.

Any ideas on how to make it less so? We have the wiki but that might be intimidating itself.

I'd be really confused without the wiki :)

@"How to time" wiki discussion and stuff

Excellent work - I note that it's already on the OTW, so this is slightly belated :)

NoMouse wrote:And if we are explaining the origins of our usernames - mine is based on my real first name. It was created many years ago by reversing my name, replacing one letter with another that sounds the same and then translating part of it from Czech to English. Easy.

Mine is the handle I came up with for a game I was obsessed with over 15 years ago. (Descent if anyone remembers it) It came from my self-observations of how I played it, mispeled and sTuDdLyCaPpEd for 1337ness. I now use it everywhere. It's the oldest gaming handle I know if that's still in use. One of my friends changes his every other month.

Yay, all ketchup!

Eternal Density

Later, Niclep saw a big wet thing at the end of the river.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 am UTC

HES wrote:Now would be a good time for an internet 'loon, Cory Doctorow or a ferretmolpy to swoop/glide/drift into frame

What about Tron Paul? Would be faster.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 am UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose
So how will he get help?
Signal fire?
Signal flares?
Cell phone?

Help can only come from us! We must all work together to break the fourth wall *from this side*. GLR, who foresees all, has subtly nurtured the OTT all this Time so that help would be available at the moment of crisis.
Now which wall is the fourth one again?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:48 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose
So how will he get help?
Signal fire?
Signal flares?
Cell phone?

Help can only come from us! We must all work together to break the fourth wall *from this side*. GLR, who foresees all, has subtly nurtured the OTT all this Time so that help would be available at the moment of crisis.

*starts drilling holes in all walls around in case they're the fourth one*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

HES

WE DON'T NEED NO HELP

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Help can only come from us! We must all work together to break the fourth wall *from this side*. GLR, who foresees all, has subtly nurtured the OTT all this Time so that help would be available at the moment of crisis.

I'll fetch the bulldozer...
Spoiler:
Wrong sort of hamply, and wrong sort of plant. Google has let me down.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
*starts drilling holes in all walls around in case they're the fourth one*

Careful! Don't bring the thread down around you!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”