1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

It was flat and went all the way to the sky!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:56 am UTC

The fourth wall is always the last one you try.
*looks at the thread ceiling*
Uh oh...

[edit] Yay, accidental pope again!
I decree that folks propose methods of helping Cuegan/Megball, if they wish. Or methods of breaking the 4th wall.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:57 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Rule110 wrote:A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)

I do apologize, but I had to laugh. Because an attack from Lucky was not odd at all ;)

No apology necessary, but no, that was not really odd. They've been seeing multiple kinds of wildlife, they're in a sparsely (if at all) populated area, and people in this thread have been speculating about dangerous animals (often, but not always, jokingly) since the first molpy pixels appeared. There was even the snake encounter; it turned out it wasn't venomous (or at least they didn't think so) and it didn't bite Cueball, but it could have been otherwise.

On the other hand, I don't recall anyone in this thread (until just now) saying anything like, "next newpix, I predict Franciscans!" :)

ETABPD1: Megan and Cueball could build a large castle in the shape of SOS. This could summon LaPetite (the guardian spirit of castles) to their aid, or it could attract the attention of the mountain top people.

1Edited To Add, By Papal Decree
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Eternal Density

He decided he must investigate this very carefully.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Next newpic, I predict Dominican mONGks.

Wow, do you even have to ask, Megan?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Next newpic, I predict Dominican mONGks.
The Cuegan are probably hungry. Friars would be more useful.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

nerdsniped

Data Department, Open On Sundays

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 am UTC

On the topic of whether OTT viewership has held steady over time... here's a bit of data I don't recall being analyzed previously. (Apologies if I missed it.) I wrote a little script to fetch each forum page and look for phrases of the form "viewed NNN times", which the forum seems to associate with each inlined attachment. Here is a scatterplot of the results. Each spot represents a single attachment. The X axis shows which newpage the attachment appeared on, and the Y axis shows the number of times the attachment had been viewed. There seems to a slight downward trend, but really very slight until the end. That drop at the end is probably an artifact; the view counts for those recent attachments will climb retroactively as people ketchup.

There are many ways this data could be skewed. For instance, I don't know whether spoilering affects the view count, or whether any of the attached images are also linked from somewhere outside the forum. But there seem to be plenty of data points to discern a rough trend despite any noise.

(Note: there is an attachment on page two with 15,230 views. I chopped that out of the graph, because otherwise it ruins the scale. Interestingly, there are no further attachments until page 20 -- or at least, none that I detected with this trivial script. You can see that attachments become more frequent over time, which I imagine represents a gradual transition toward creative contributions rather than simple discussion.)
OK not "simple" discussion, but you get my meaning.

Spoiler:
imageviews.png

ETA: maybe if we post enough attachments all on one page, the OTT will become unbalanced, topple, and crash through the fourth wall.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:

For a quick snack, popecorn is always good.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Eternal Density

So he ran and ran until he reached the edge of the sea.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:11 am UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose
Fish and chips is always nice, so now about fish friars and chip monks?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Could it be that LaPetite is from some hermitage in the mountains? Some secret order, perhaps?

Mm. Interesting. Continue...

HES wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Help can only come from us! We must all work together to break the fourth wall *from this side*. GLR, who foresees all, has subtly nurtured the OTT all this Time so that help would be available at the moment of crisis.
Now which wall is the fourth one again?

I'll fetch the bulldozer...
Spoiler:
Wrong sort of hamply, and wrong sort of plant. Google has let me down.

I'll see if Michael can come here and help us. That plasma cannon may be useful.

* checks pocket; finds keys
Hm, are these the keys for the laser satellite?

ETA that I have the Mini-Trebuchet. It's somewhere over here.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

wizpretz

Re: It was flat and went all the way to the sky!

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I decree that folks propose methods of helping Cuegan/Megball, if they wish.

Make a makeshift cart using the wood from the shed. The cart could be pulled by the molpycatarmy.

Eternal Density wrote:Or methods of breaking the 4th wall.

Hit it with a big metal pipe.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: Data Department, Open On Sundays

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:On the topic of whether OTT viewership has held steady over time... here's a bit of data I don't recall being analyzed previously.
Spoiler:
(Apologies if I missed it.) I wrote a little script to fetch each forum page and look for phrases of the form "viewed NNN times", which the forum seems to associate with each inlined attachment. Here is a scatterplot of the results. Each spot represents a single attachment. The X axis shows which newpage the attachment appeared on, and the Y axis shows the number of times the attachment had been viewed. There seems to a slight downward trend, but really very slight until the end. That drop at the end is probably an artifact; the view counts for those recent attachments will climb retroactively as people ketchup.

There are many ways this data could be skewed. For instance, I don't know whether spoilering affects the view count, or whether any of the attached images are also linked from somewhere outside the forum. But there seem to be plenty of data points to discern a rough trend despite any noise.

(Note: there is an attachment on page two with 15,230 views. I chopped that out of the graph, because otherwise it ruins the scale. Interestingly, there are no further attachments until page 20 -- or at least, none that I detected with this trivial script. You can see that attachments become more frequent over time, which I imagine represents a gradual transition toward creative contributions rather than simple discussion.)

That's an interesting chart. It's not surprising that number of views drops off for more recent attachments; in fact, it's surprising how many of the most recent attachments show as many views as much older ones. I suppose it's no surprise that─at any given time─the most recent pages are the ones most likely to get read, so that when a page gets old enough, its attachments collect new views only very slowly. But your chart seems to indicate that the reading activity is staying fairly constant over the last two months, so that any new attachment gets roughly the same number of views before fading into the Past.

ucim wrote:

Jose

With the number of wild critters molpies they've encountered, maybe they should hope for Trappist monks.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eternal Density

He swam in the sea for a while but it all seemed about the s

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 am UTC

If only we had someone who could open tears between worlds.

[edit because title cutoff]: ...ame.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:If only we had someone who could open tears between worlds.

Or travel between universes.
ETA: @EternalDensity, do you have, by any chance, a trio of harmonic rods?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:A temple would also fit the remote setting, and be a much better place to look for medical assistance. But, that would tend to veer the story in a very odd direction. (We meet no one for thousands of pix, and then... monks?)

You mean like these guys?

(Hmm. Could be Yetis up there. Anybody know if the GLR is a fan of Sir Terry?)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ergman

Re: He swam in the sea for a while but it all seemed about t

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:If only we had someone who could open tears between worlds.

Lizbeth?
And I'm liking your hidden little title story, I hope everyone notices it.

And I predict that Cuegan climb the mountain, and encounter someone who is very alone, but knowledgable. Preferably in an observatory. Also, I predicted a while ago that the murder of their beesnake companion was forshadowing, and was I right or was I right?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

So he looked around the shore for somewhere else to play.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 am UTC

ergman wrote:

Lizbeth?
And I'm liking your hidden little title story, I hope everyone notices it.
AluisioASG wrote:Or travel between universes.
ETA: @EternalDensity, do you have, by any chance, a trio of harmonic rods?
I know I'm not the only one who's drawn parallels (heh) between Bioshock Infinity and Fringe :D

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

I do apologize, but I had to laugh. Because an attack from Lucky was not odd at all ;)

No apology necessary, but no, that was not really odd. They've been seeing multiple kinds of wildlife, they're in a sparsely (if at all) populated area, and people in this thread have been speculating about dangerous animals (often, but not always, jokingly) since the first molpy pixels appeared. There was even the snake encounter; it turned out it wasn't venomous (or at least they didn't think so) and it didn't bite Cueball, but it could have been otherwise.

On the other hand, I don't recall anyone in this thread (until just now) saying anything like, "next newpix, I predict Franciscans!" :)

ETABPD1: Megan and Cueball could build a large castle in the shape of SOS. This could summon LaPetite (the guardian spirit of castles) to their aid, or it could attract the attention of the mountain top people.

1Edited To Add, By Papal Decree

This is true. But I really would have more expected a bear, or wolf, or coyote (oh my!) encounter, in regards to predatory threats. This is solely based on my interpretation of their surrounding environment. Of course, as a Randallversian, I should have known better than to suggest that the GLR, Creator of Time, should limit himself to any convention known to us. For if he wills an attack by a moleopard, than so be it.

AluisioASG wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Could it be that LaPetite is from some hermitage in the mountains? Some secret order, perhaps?

I think at some point it was proposed that she was a spy of some sorts (or perhaps I only imagined that someone else proposed this). But a spy for whom? Perhaps she spied for those at the top of the mountain. Could they have run everyone off? Or perhaps, the top of the mountain is a sanctuary, to which everyone else has run (hence, no direct encounters with people). Perhaps the structure the see is a temple. Or perhaps it is a citadel of sorts.

Should Megan have trouble continuing the journey, I do believe they have enough supplies at hand, or nearby, to make a walking stick or other implement that would assist her whilst walking. I do not think help will come to them. Except, perhaps, if LaPetite is secretly following them, she may report back to whatever group or community she belongs. They may help. Maybe.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 am UTC

POLICYMAKONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 am UTC

mscha wrote:POLICYMAKONGS...

Clearly in the cueverse the mountain monks are also the seat of government...
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:29 am UTC

@nerdsniped: Awesome chart! Thanks - that's just what I've been wondering. That 15,230 view attachment could be skewed by a script that fetches it as part of something else. Given that, I'd say that the view numbers are total views through the xkcd forums phpBB software (or at least, total downloads from the phpBB servers). It's probably safe to assume most attachments here are viewed most of the time through the thread it's associated with, and thus, the numbers fairly represent traffic in the OTT. I don't know how uniqueness is determined, but repeated visits by me do not increase the number shown to me... at least when I'm not logged in.

Not all readers may come across any given attachment, but most probably do.

So, traffic in the OTT is about (or below) a thousand. There were about a thousand people (and bots and molpies) who posted at least once. If only logged-in downloads are counted, then anonymous lurkers are not taken into account.

It seems old pages are not visited much. Most of the activity takes place within the most recent hundred pages. So, those posting creative works can probably count on about a thousand in their audience, and it seems to be a very receptive and appreciative one.

Rule110: For a quick snack, popecorn is always good.
Eternal Density: Fish and chips is always nice, so now about fish friars and chip monks?
jjjdavidson: With the number of wild critters molpies they've encountered, maybe they should hope for Trappist monks.

ROTFL! (insert your favorite smiley here)

@Eternal Density Wow! I never noticed the story in the titles! Awesome!

Cueball wrote:We can't be more than a day or so from the top. There may be people there.

WHAT????

Is this the Cueball that wanted to turn back a few frames ago? Those mountains are farther away than they look! Of course, the beach area seems (to us) to be quite desolate, so maybe the mountains do hold more people. OTOH, in the beginning they seemed concerned about whether or not they had been seen. So... perhaps they had been deliberately avoiding people, and know perfectly well where to find them. (After all, they live there.)

Adventure makes story, so Randalspeed - up you go!

Jose
edit: mustard name
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 am UTC

mscha wrote:POLICYMAKONGS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Well, I guess that finally clinches the timescale thing. He talks about a day (officially non-heretical? I guess technically it would have been for a while now) as if its a reasonable amount of time, suggesting they've probably been walking for multiple days. I'd held out for a while that when they said they'd been walking for days they meant prior to sandcastle building, but I guess its probably more likely that their journey has taken place over multiple days at this point.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Prediction: As they approach the mountaintop fortress (Megan losing strength all the way), a violent thunderstorm breaks out. *Crash* *Boom* And from somewhere in the towers up above, comes a deranged, triumphant cry: "It's Alive!"

Or not.
Hi! Probably.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 am UTC

IceIsNice wrote:Prediction: As they approach the mountaintop fortress (Megan losing strength all the way), a violent thunderstorm breaks out. *Crash* *Boom* And from somewhere in the towers up above, comes a deranged, triumphant cry: "It's Alive!"

Or not.

Welcome to the Cave! Nice prediction. Entirely plausible, I should say. Certainly, I think it would be better than to find that Curgan have arrived at some castle on the mountain, wherein lives a mysterious Count.

And with that, I must coma. I hope to de'coma in the mornix to find Cuegan on their way up to the mysterious structure at the top of the mountain. Until then, coma well all. And for those still un-coma'd, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 am UTC

IceIsNice wrote:I've been a Waiter since the beginning, and a long-time follower of the OTT. The past few days have made me a little worried about Cuegan.

Anyway, I just figured it was time to say "Hi".

Hello!
IceIsNice wrote:Prediction: As they approach the mountaintop fortress (Megan losing strength all the way), a violent thunderstorm breaks out. *Crash* *Boom* And from somewhere in the towers up above, comes a deranged, triumphant cry: "It's Alive!"

Or not.

Since the *thwack* earlier, I'm visualising *Crash* and *Boom* in large, friendly letters on the cover scary letters. It is, of course, a sand fortress.

k.bookbinder wrote:Welcome to the Cave! Nice prediction. Entirely plausible, I should say. Certainly, I think it would be better than to find that Curgan have arrived at some castle on the mountain, wherein lives a mysterious Count. ]

One! One Molpy!
Two! Two Molpies!
Three! Three Molpies!
Four! Four Molpies!
Ah Ah Ah!
He/Him/His Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Could it be that LaPetite is from some hermitage in the mountains? Some secret order, perhaps?

I think at some point it was proposed that she was a spy of some sorts (or perhaps I only imagined that someone else proposed this). But a spy for whom? Perhaps she spied for those at the top of the mountain. Could they have run everyone off? Or perhaps, the top of the mountain is a sanctuary, to which everyone else has run (hence, no direct encounters with people). Perhaps the structure the see is a temple. Or perhaps it is a citadel of sorts.
I keep catching bits of a Leonardo DiCaprio movie on TV where he thinks he's trapped on an island by military types, but apparently it's an elaborate setup to help him deal with his children being murdered. Or something. Ben Kingsley plays his psychiatrist. Anyway, what if Cuegan have been through some sort of major trauma, and this ‘deserted’ world has been created for them to recover in? What if La Petite isn't a child, but instead is Linda Hunt in the role of their psychiatrist?

I got a little silly playing around with linking to the Wiki in my sig, and now I'm too sleepy to decide if it's a bad idea or not:

Things seem a little ridiculous around here? Don't Panic!*
*The phrase ‘Don't Panic’ is not owned, controlled, or influenced by this thread or its denizens, and said parties are not responsible for any tolls taken on the road to sanity.

Appropriate? Inappropriate? Lame?
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 am UTC

I have wondered from near the beginning if Time would have a bleak / unhappy climax. I was thinking of something more... post-apocalyptic maybe? This could be a more mundane and more powerful way to work toward that end. :-\

Eternal Density

As Niclep ran along the sand he saw something different.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 am UTC

discussONG
Hmmm, interesting.

HES

Spoilers, sweetie

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:03 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote: I keep catching bits of a Leonardo DiCaprio movie on TV where [actual spoilers] What if La Petite isn't a child, but instead is Linda Hunt in the role of their psychiatrist?

Shutter island

Nothing wrong with that as a sig. Maybe better left it at the first line though

ETA
xiphmont wrote:I have wondered from near the beginning if Time would have a bleak / unhappy climax. I was thinking of something more... post-apocalyptic maybe? This could be a more mundane and more powerful way to work toward that end. :-\

End? What is this word you speak of :twisted:
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

It looked like a giant beach-lump with spikes.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:08 am UTC

So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
Which seems to indicate that Cuegan have walked for several days. So when did they coma?
HES wrote:End? What is this word you speak of :twisted:
It's something in Minecraft.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Cuegan wrote:Megan: Like the people in the hills?
Cueball: We're a long way from there.
Now Megan is the naive one. Each has their strengths, I suppose.

It's probably no accident that Cueball is drawn higher up on the mound.

Jose

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:I keep catching bits of Shutter Island on TV...

Maybe it's all an elaborate setup by Megan to make Cueball lose his fear of traveling/being away from home.
Selecting new quote…

HES

What is a giant beach-lump?

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
Which seems to indicate that Cuegan have walked for several days. So when did they coma?

We assumed each frame runs into the next, but there could well be gaps. We also haven't seen them eat much, defecate, etc. We can assume mundane parts are excluded

AluisioASG wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I keep catching bits of Shutter Island on TV...

Maybe it's all an elaborate setup by Megan to make Cueball lose his fear of traveling/being away from home.

And then the mountain crashes into an iceberg...
Last edited by HES on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Latent22

Re: It looked like a giant beach-lump with spikes.

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I figure the potential people at the top - which can't be more than a day or so away - are different to the people in the hills - which are a long way away.
HES wrote:End? What is this word you speak of :twisted:
It's something in Minecraft.

If you look back though the OTC (ie NP1600) you will find they already mentioned it taking them several days to get this far. But yeah they seem to be lacking much in the coma department. A few brief naps but that is about it. Maybe they are showing us the way we should live our lives. Always awake and ready to wait for the next frame.

Last edited by Latent22 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Because I don't think I've said this before, thanks mscha for all the animations. They're very useful.

Indeed -- seconded. One of many wonderful things on this thread that I've just been taking for granted.

jjjdavidson wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:On the topic of whether OTT viewership has held steady over time... here's a bit of data I don't recall being analyzed previously.
Spoiler:
(Apologies if I missed it.) I wrote a little script to fetch each forum page and look for phrases of the form "viewed NNN times", which the forum seems to associate with each inlined attachment. Here is a scatterplot of the results. Each spot represents a single attachment. The X axis shows which newpage the attachment appeared on, and the Y axis shows the number of times the attachment had been viewed. There seems to a slight downward trend, but really very slight until the end. That drop at the end is probably an artifact; the view counts for those recent attachments will climb retroactively as people ketchup.

That's an interesting chart. It's not surprising that number of views drops off for more recent attachments; in fact, it's surprising how many of the most recent attachments show as many views as much older ones. I suppose it's no surprise that─at any given time─the most recent pages are the ones most likely to get read, so that when a page gets old enough, its attachments collect new views only very slowly. But your chart seems to indicate that the reading activity is staying fairly constant over the last two months, so that any new attachment gets roughly the same number of views before fading into the Past.

Yes, that's how I read it as well.

ucim wrote:@nerdsniped: Awesome chart! Thanks - that's just what I've been wondering. That 15,230 view attachment could be skewed by a script that fetches it as part of something else. Given that, I'd say that the view numbers are total views through the xkcd forums phpBB software (or at least, total downloads from the phpBB servers). It's probably safe to assume most attachments here are viewed most of the time through the thread it's associated with, and thus, the numbers fairly represent traffic in the OTT. I don't know how uniqueness is determined, but repeated visits by me do not increase the number shown to me... at least when I'm not logged in. [snip]

That may simply be the browser cache coming into play. But yes, the forum software could be doing something fancy to count unique visitors as well.

BlueCrab wrote:[snip] Anyway, what if Cuegan have been through some sort of major trauma, and this ‘deserted’ world has been created for them to recover in? What if La Petite isn't a child, but instead is Linda Hunt in the role of their psychiatrist?

I love this theory. (Reminds me of a couple of old John Varley short stories.)

@IceIsNice: Welcome to the thread! How's it feel to be frozen?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

AluisioASG

...and in case I don't see ya...

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Just thought of something:

1. We have two main characters.
  2. They live on a relatively isolated world.
  3. We are watching them, almost as if that was the exact reason of their existence.

Do y'll see what I see?
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

He jumped up on top of the big pile of beach.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:28 am UTC

Thanks Latent22 for reminding me that 'days' had already been mentioned.
Still, you'd think GLR might show them falling asleep (well other than that one time) or that Cuegan would at least mention something about the time of day being morning or evening or light or dark. After all, they have to know that days are passing *somehow*, right?

@AluisioASG: good morning, good evening, and good night.

HES

Re: He jumped up on top of the big pile of beach.

Postby HES » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:@AluisioASG: good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

FTFY
Eternal Density wrote:After all, they have to know that days are passing *somehow*, right?

More importantly, we needed to know days were passing. It would be a little ridiculous to fade and invert the colours every inside day, though
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 am UTC

ucim wrote:[
Neil_Boekend wrote:I am fairly wellcontained in the Quest, so the lower wind resistance isn't an issue. I still have to push the bike through the air. The lower mass (from approx 130kg to approx 37kg) does help with getting to speed, but doesn't really change much in terms of top speed. At top speed it's 90% wind resistance anyway.
So what is it that makes riding the Quest bike so much easier?
Jose

He just told you - the effort is not to shift the mass but to overcome wind resistance.
As this bike is enclosed the wind can't get in to interfere with his pedalling.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

DavidRa

Re: ...and in case I don't see ya...

Postby DavidRa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:36 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Just thought of something:

1. We have two main characters.
  2. They live on a relatively isolated world.
  3. We are watching them, almost as if that was the exact reason of their existence.

Do y'll see what I see?

Hmm. I see where you're coming from, but this is the movie I envisaged you linking to before I clicked the link. mscha mentioned this (my thought, not yours) early on - I think this is one of the earliest references.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Thanks Latent22 for reminding me that 'days' had already been mentioned.
Still, you'd think GLR might show them falling asleep (well other than that one time) or that Cuegan would at least mention something about the time of day being morning or evening or light or dark. After all, they have to know that days are passing *somehow*, right?

@AluisioASG: good morning, good evening, and good night.

Actually, think about it. They have been shown to coma - a couple times, in fact (facebug by the stream, and earlier after the dunes by the river when cueball dreamt of ropes). What if maybe it was implied that those were actually during the night time? The facebug points to a shorter timespan, but I think there were some frames before the facebug came onframe which could potentially be encompassing a larger (on the order of several hours worth) of Inside time.

In which case, if we're to assume no other sleep happened, they've been travelling for 3-ish days that we've seen. Which could potentially mean that their prior days of travel were pre-sandcastles.

Eternal Density

The spikes looked like flat tree bits.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Thanks Latent22 for reminding me that 'days' had already been mentioned.
Still, you'd think GLR might show them falling asleep (well other than that one timethose two times) or that Cuegan would at least mention something about the time of day being morning or evening or light or dark. After all, they have to know that days are passing *somehow*, right?

@AluisioASG: good morningafternoon, good evening, and good night.

Actually, think about it. They have been shown to coma - a couple times, in fact (facebug by the stream, and earlier after the dunes by the river when cueball dreamt of ropes). What if maybe it was implied that those were actually during the night time? The facebug points to a shorter timespan, but I think there were some frames before the facebug came onframe which could potentially be encompassing a larger (on the order of several hours worth) of Inside time.

In which case, if we're to assume no other sleep happened, they've been travelling for 3-ish days that we've seen. Which could potentially mean that their prior days of travel were pre-sandcastles.
That's a possibility, though it's hard to say whether no-other-sleep is a good assumption or not.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”