1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:
Megan's wound will develop gangreen. Queball will amputate the leg, but to late. Megan will die of the wound. Queball will lose his mind and run around flailing his arms. He'll drop off a cliff and thus Time will end.
The OTT will continue as if nothing happened. Someone will write a hosts file that redirects everyone who chooses it to an alternate xkcd.com/time. Here some of the more artistically OTTers will post an alternate Timeline, in which Megan survives her wound and Queball and Megan hook up. They'll buy a house, a wolpy and have a kid. It'll be a boy. Some OTTers will post extremely detailed versions where the conception of that kid will be drawn.
The kid will grow up and find himself in a school holiday. He'll decide to spend the first day of it on a beach with a neighborhood girl. They'll build a sandcastle.

Dang, now I became a loopist.

I'm not sure, but I think you've become a Mobius-ist.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Concerning the OTC:
Cueball's logic isn't that faulty at all. If he knows that they will not make it back, because home is too far, the only logical result is to move on. They may not find help there, but at least there is the possibility they find it.
Also: It doesn't make any difference if they are two days further from home, if they wouldn't make it back home anyway.
There is even another reason to move on: If they should discover after a day or two they can't go on, they would need to return to the hut and stream for a bit of shelter. Going on would mean to go back downhills whereas going home would mean to climb the hill again, something that would be very difficult to do with an injured leg.

Cueball does appear to be using sound logic (Cueball did, after all, surmise that their may be a village on the other side, as I had suggested). Also, help is not guaranteed if they go back home. They do mention the other people in the hills, but, correct me if I am wrong, I do not think they ever refer to the people in the hills with any kind of familiarity; it is as if they know that they are there, but have little or nothing to do with them. The people in the hills are not necessarily their people (but it does not suggest that they are their enemies either). Which makes me wonder, do they ever mention their people, or other people that we may infer belong to the same group/community as they do/did?

Well, they have a word for a collection of people living in community: "village". So by definition, they're not the Sole Survivors of the Apocalypse (as hypothesized hugely upthread, probably while they were still on the beach). And since they've not passed any people in the <non-heretical> days.... weeks?... that they've been wandering, they KNOW there's no help behind them. And a possibly-occupied structure on the mountain ahead of them. I agree; in this circumstance they either have to hole up here (where there's some minimal shelter, and water, but not really secure, and no medical help) and hope Megan's leg doesn't get infected.... or move one.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

CasCat

ONGward and Upward

Postby CasCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:
Megan's wound will develop gangreen. Queball will amputate the leg, but to late. Megan will die of the wound. Queball will lose his mind and run around flailing his arms. He'll drop off a cliff and thus Time will end.
The OTT will continue as if nothing happened. Someone will write a hosts file that redirects everyone who chooses it to an alternate xkcd.com/time. Here some of the more artistically OTTers will post an alternate Timeline, in which Megan survives her wound and Queball and Megan hook up. They'll buy a house, a wolpy and have a kid. It'll be a boy. Some OTTers will post extremely detailed versions where the conception of that kid will be drawn.
The kid will grow up and find himself in a school holiday. He'll decide to spend the first day of it on a beach with a neighborhood girl. They'll build a sandcastle.

Dang, now I became a loopist.

I'm not sure, but I think you've become a Mobius-ist.

Somehow I always wanted to be a loopy-ist.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Concerning the OTC:
Cueball's logic isn't that faulty at all. If he knows that they will not make it back, because home is too far, the only logical result is to move on. They may not find help there, but at least there is the possibility they find it.
Also: It doesn't make any difference if they are two days further from home, if they wouldn't make it back home anyway.
There is even another reason to move on: If they should discover after a day or two they can't go on, they would need to return to the hut and stream for a bit of shelter. Going on would mean to go back downhills whereas going home would mean to climb the hill again, something that would be very difficult to do with an injured leg.

Cueball does appear to be using sound logic (Cueball did, after all, surmise that their may be a village on the other side, as I had suggested). Also, help is not guaranteed if they go back home. They do mention the other people in the hills, but, correct me if I am wrong, I do not think they ever refer to the people in the hills with any kind of familiarity; it is as if they know that they are there, but have little or nothing to do with them. The people in the hills are not necessarily their people (but it does not suggest that they are their enemies either). Which makes me wonder, do they ever mention their people, or other people that we may infer belong to the same group/community as they do/did?

I agree. Some points to add:
- they are clearly used to low confort (a week hike with only a small backback means low confort), they live in tents, so there is no reason to think that "their" people would know better on how to deal with a wound. They would only have elders who'd be able to tell them "I've already seen this: your leg will get brown and smelly and then you'll die".
- the people in the hills are probably quite far away from their camp. Remember that they found the Neat River "not much farther away than [theirs] at its driest". If we assume that people in the hills are on a good spot (with the river almost always flowing), then they must be some 3-4 days away from the tents.
They don't sound like being enemies, just strangers. But they might be regarder as "people with superior capacities" (e.g. they know how to chop wood into plancks), so it might be worth it to go and see them for an important medical case... but in this case the journey would be far too demanding, and the hope of having an actual solution too thin.
- were it not for the possible village in the mountain, I'd say that the most sensible thing to do would be to find a safe spot with food and water and wait [hope] for the leg to heal (the vines place seems good for this). Since they can hope to have some help from the hypothetical village, it's probably worth a try. But maybe trying to attract their attention first (by making a fire, or crying out if they see some movement) would be usefull...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

IceIsNice wrote:Prediction: As they approach the mountaintop fortress (Megan losing strength all the way), a violent thunderstorm breaks out. *Crash* *Boom* And from somewhere in the towers up above, comes a deranged, triumphant cry: "It's Alive!"

Or not.

Perhaps slightly different: Megan loses strength on the way up, Cueball carries her to the top of the mountain, and then the mad scientist brings her back frlom the dead as zombie-Megan??

Also, has anyone noticed that there is now a red flag in Cuegan's relationship?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
IceIsNice wrote:Prediction: As they approach the mountaintop fortress (Megan losing strength all the way), a violent thunderstorm breaks out. *Crash* *Boom* And from somewhere in the towers up above, comes a deranged, triumphant cry: "It's Alive!"

Or not.

Perhaps slightly different: Megan loses strength on the way up, Cueball carries her to the top of the mountain, and then the mad scientist brings her back frlom the dead as zombie-Megan??

Also, has anyone noticed that there is now a red flag in Cuegan's relationship?

But she's not waving it in his face.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

edfel wrote:<snip>
- they are clearly used to low confort (a week hike with only a small backback means low confort), they live in tents, so there is no reason to think that "their" people would know better on how to deal with a wound. They would only have elders who'd be able to tell them "I've already seen this: your leg will get brown and smelly and then you'll die".
<snip>

Usually that's: "If God wills it you will live. There is nothing we can do but pray."
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Prediction for the top of the mountain:

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Prediction for the top of the mountain:

Spoiler:

Maybe the French would have let King Arthur in if he needed medical assistance?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Spoiler:

Maybe if they built a large wooden badger...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Spoiler:

Maybe if they built a large wooden badger...

Or a large wooden molpy!

...molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy GRAPEVINE GRAPEVINE!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

How can it be quicker to go home from the top of the mountain than to turn round?

And why has the Book of Aubron suddenly stopped showing anything beyond the first 80 or so frames?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

I feel like the comic is not dark enough to go down the road of Megan being infected / seriously injured.

I think she will be fine.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:I feel like the comic is not dark enough to go down the road of Megan being infected / seriously injured.

Obligatory reference to the flutterbee.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

CONGRUOUSLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

f0rmicUla

Postby f0rmicUla » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
akacat wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! (snipped because I am not allowed to post links, I guess)

Zooms in X100 or so... I see I'm way out in left field there :D . Probably keeps everyone else safe from my personal version of in(s)anity.

Yay, and even me, the one-post-only antmolpy is in it (far left, too). Sweet :D
I wonder if the COT can be made working in real time?

cheers, formi
I'm a little pea | I love the sky and the trees | I'm a teeny tiny little ant | Checkin' out this and that

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Uh-Oh, Megan injured, and now it looks like Cueball is about to kick the bucket.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:How can it be quicker to go home from the top of the mountain than to turn round?

I don't think it will be quicker, but adding the day or so to check for help at the top of the mountain is worth it, considering it will take many days to return home (I definitely get the impression that they have been travelling for many days, perhaps even weeks). Also, they've been following the river and taking a kind of haphazard route of exploration. If they make a straight line for home, it will be quicker than the trip so far. Maybe a straight line from the place they are at and a straight line from the top of the mountain aren't all that much different.

Red Hal wrote:Uh-Oh, Megan injured, and now it looks like Cueball is about to kick the bucket.

Ha!

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Blind posting because I'm about to head off to a dental appt which may put me out of commission for the rest of the dix. Or perhaps not, I guess I'll find out.

ucim wrote:
akacat wrote:Meanwhile, there are a few of us posters, one OTC molpy and numerous molpies of the lol- and house- variety which might all be referred to as "cat" in the OTT.
Yes, but when being directly referenced, are you still referred to as "cat" or by your full handle, to distinguish one cat from another? I suspect the latter, mostly, and so the data would not really be all that noisy.

Yeah, you're probably right. IRL, the people who know me as akaCat just call me "Cat". Here, quoting and copy/paste make that pretty unlikely.

HES wrote:...or cycling for a wix despite the grinding noise that turned out to be a sheared axle. I guess you're right [hopeful ongwardness]

Good grief, how did a sheared axle manage to last a wix? Or do you mean it slowly sheared over the week? Either way, did the axle manage to hold out for the whole ride?

nerdsniped wrote:Note: there is an attachment on page two with 15,230 views.

I wonder if an attachment continues to count views if they're linked from elsewhere in the forum? Like, if someone image-linked to an attached image in their sig? Now I'd love to do some experiments, but I'm afraid I'd make a hash of it.

nerdsniped wrote:(ETA: maybe if we post enough attachments all on one page, the OTT will become unbalanced, topple, and crash through the fourth wall.

I lol'd. And I badly needed a lol, just now.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:@IceIsNice: Welcome to the thread! How's it feel to be frozen?

Thanks. It's nice....
Hi! Probably.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
akacat wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:In other news:
I've finished The Constellation of Time 3. I twerked it a bit around and the huge version is the hugest I've ever made of any image: 49 megapixels! (snipped because I am not allowed to post links, I guess)

Zooms in X100 or so... I see I'm way out in left field there :D . Probably keeps everyone else safe from my personal version of in(s)anity.

Yay, and even me, the one-post-only antmolpy is in it (far left, too). Sweet :D
I wonder if the COT can be made working in real time?

cheers, formi

Now you're a two-post antmolpy.

he/him/his

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:I feel like the comic is not dark enough to go down the road of Megan being infected / seriously injured.

I think she will have to have it amputated, but that's okay because the people who help them will give her a (wait for it...)
Spoiler:
Flying Ferret Molpytm! (You thought I was going to say ‘stick leg, didn't you? :P )
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:

I think she will have to have it amputated, but that's okay because the people who help them will give her a (wait for it...)
Spoiler:
Flying Ferret Molpytm! (You thought I was going to say ‘stick leg, didn't you? :P )

Yes. As a matter of fact I did. :o
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Eutychus wrote:How can it be quicker to go home from the top of the mountain than to turn round?

I don't think it will be quicker, but adding the day or so to check for help at the top of the mountain is worth it, considering it will take many days to return home (I definitely get the impression that they have been travelling for many days, perhaps even weeks). Also, they've been following the river and taking a kind of haphazard route of exploration. If they make a straight line for home, it will be quicker than the trip so far. Maybe a straight line from the place they are at and a straight line from the top of the mountain aren't all that much different.

It may be that the terrain is of such difficulty that they would be unable to simply "make a straight line for home". One might surmise that the route taken on their journey is the easiest route up the mountain, and not quite as haphazard as it appears. Otherwise, should a path up to their current location be easy, would not they have explored it before? From my own experience, the easiest path up the side of a mountain is usually winding and circuitous. Also consider, they are in new territory. We can expect that our own knowledge, accumulated and illustrated on our Holy Catographer's Map, is also the extent of their geographic knowledge. A "straight line home" may lead them into more unknown territory. Let us not forget Lucky. Such a predator came from somewhere, and in that place there may be more. A "straight line home" may very well lead through more, unknown dangers.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

And why has the Book of Aubron suddenly stopped showing anything beyond the first 80 or so frames?

Not quicker to go home, but quicker to get to help. (Or, they are in Apollo 13 and need to slingshot around the mountain to pick up speed.)

And The Book of Aubron seems to be working for me.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:

Red Hal wrote:Uh-Oh, Megan injured, and now it looks like Cueball is about to kick the bucket.

Ha!

So I was in Vegas a bit ago and my wife and I went to a Trapeze class. We had to take a cab outside the strip (it was actually in someone's back yard, which was kinda weird but we had fun anyway). When we got done instead of calling a cab, we looked down the road at the strip and said "that's not so far, let's walk", suffice it to say the enormous hotels of the strip were a lot further away than we thought. Large objects have a tendency to mislead one's sense of distance, particularly if you *ahem* don't know how anything works. My point? There's a pretty good chance that Cuegan will be walking for a day or two before they realize that the top of the mountain hasn't really gotten much closer.

Also, if they tried to cut the corner and not follow the river, there's also a pretty good chance that they'll get lost, particularly as they may need to walk through a desert, which may or may not be larger as it goes out from the river (probably is).

edit: partially ninja'd (with some great points) by k.bookbinder
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

HAL9000
Not Red

Blitz Hard 2

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Spoilered because it contains the ending of ucim's most recent chapter:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Awefulsome! If whack-a-molpy were a flash game, I would quickly become addicted. Image

Actual spoiler for the most recent chapter of Acts of the Clerics...
ucim wrote:There in front of him, off to the right a bit, was the red button. He contemplated it, looked directly at it, and as he did so, the button lit up by itself, and a voice seemed to come right from it.

It said, "Hello, Dave".

OMR! How exciting! He should be happy when he reaches this newpage. :D

Indeed I am.
Yaaaaaaaaaaay *explodes into confetti*

*regains physical form*
And I'm the ship's BlitzRocket's computer, too! I couldn't have asked for a better representation!
Yaaaaay!

Back to the Blitz! This'll be my last BlitzPost before I meet you all in the present, as I'm almost out of Die Hard movie titles to name my posts after.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Whizbang wrote:

It may be that the terrain is of such difficulty that they would be unable to simply "make a straight line for home". One might surmise that the route taken on their journey is the easiest route up the mountain, and not quite as haphazard as it appears. Otherwise, should a path up to their current location be easy, would not they have explored it before? From my own experience, the easiest path up the side of a mountain is usually winding and circuitous. Also consider, they are in new territory. We can expect that our own knowledge, accumulated and illustrated on our Holy Catographer's Map, is also the extent of their geographic knowledge. A "straight line home" may lead them into more unknown territory. Let us not forget Lucky. Such a predator came from somewhere, and in that place there may be more. A "straight line home" may very well lead through more, unknown dangers.

True, the path up may be the best path back down, but not necessarily. They were following the river. The river is not a living, thinking being. It follows the path of least resistance, yes, but that is a path of least resistance for a fluid that cannot in any way exert energy to counteract the force of gravity. So, the river goes every which way on its way down the mountain. Cuegan, as animals capable of walking and climbing, may find it easier to go up and over some minor obstacle that water never could. So, they have the ability to take a different path of least resistance, one that involves going up and over small obstacles. Cuegan have already decided to do this once before, when they cut across the land because it looked like the river went around some terrain that they felt would be easier for them to simply cross. But at the time their primary goal was to follow the river to its source and maybe find other rivers, so they didn't want to get too far from the river. Now their goal will be home, and from their vantage perhaps they can plan a quicker route than the one cut by the river.

@jovialbard
I agree, there is a chance for getting lost, and there is a chance that the top of the mountain is farther than it appears. I was just pointing out that Megan did not say that it was quicker to get home from the top, merely that it was "not much farther from the top of the mountain"1. So either the added days (two at the very least) is either not that much in comparison to the number of days to get back home (implying that they've been travelling for a long time) and so it is worth the added time if they might find some help sooner, or that they both feel they can get down from the mountain by a straigher route than they took up and so going to the top won't add much time because either way they won't be doubling back on themselves.

ETA:
1Actual quote: "..., we won't be much farther from home than we are now"
Last edited by Whizbang on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
HES wrote:...or cycling for a wix despite the grinding noise that turned out to be a sheared axle. I guess you're right [hopeful ongwardness]
Good grief, how did a sheared axle manage to last a wix? Or do you mean it slowly sheared over the week? Either way, did the axle manage to hold out for the whole ride?
Well, the axle is held together on both ends by other stuff too. I rode for quite a while on a broken axle and didn't notice.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:I wonder if the COT can be made working in real time?

cheers, formi

Well, of course it can. Software can do anything, anything at all! <-- a blatant straight line for someone to write a OTT song based on Sweeny Todd.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Sorry if either of these has been posted already:

Thought #1
Cueball is really stepping up and showing some leadership skills with his decision to continue up the mountain. This is underscored by the frame in which he tells Megan to let him know if the pain grows too much, and Megan's "OK" comes in a smaller font. She is ceding authority and trusting him.

Thought #2
Instead of pregnancy announcement, comic contained bobcat. Would not buy again.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ONG to the mountains:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:So I was in Vegas a bit ago and my wife and I went to a Trapeze class. We had to take a cab outside the strip (it was actually in someone's back yard, which was kinda weird but we had fun anyway). When we got done instead of calling a cab, we looked down the road at the strip and said "that's not so far, let's walk", suffice it to say the enormous hotels of the strip were a lot further away than we thought. Large objects have a tendency to mislead one's sense of distance, particularly if you *ahem* don't know how anything works. My point? There's a pretty good chance that Cuegan will be walking for a day or two before they realize that the top of the mountain hasn't really gotten much closer.

In my continuing series of Stupid Alternative Possiblities: Cueball sees a sign just out of frame which says "Mountaintop Trail. Approximate climb time is 1 day for slightly injured hikers."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Cueball does appear to be using sound logic (Cueball did, after all, surmise that their may be a village on the other side, as I had suggested). Also, help is not guaranteed if they go back home. They do mention the other people in the hills, but, correct me if I am wrong, I do not think they ever refer to the people in the hills with any kind of familiarity; it is as if they know that they are there, but have little or nothing to do with them. The people in the hills are not necessarily their people (but it does not suggest that they are their enemies either). Which makes me wonder, do they ever mention their people, or other people that we may infer belong to the same group/community as they do/did?

They did mention their own people in frames 1160-1161:
Cueball: I wonder if other people have noticed. It's been days.
Megan: Not a lot of us by the shore this time of year. A few kids, maybe.
Megan: It'd have to rise a lot higher before any tents got wet.

ETA: Also, congrats to BlueCrab on 100 posts!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:@jovialbard
I agree, there is a chance for getting lost, and there is a chance that the top of the mountain is farther than it appears. I was just pointing out that Megan did not say that it was quicker to get home from the top, merely that it was "not much farther from the top of the mountain"1. So either the added days (two at the very least) is either not that much in comparison to the number of days to get back home (implying that they've been travelling for a long time) and so it is worth the added time if they might find some help sooner, or that they both feel they can get down from the mountain by a straigher route than they took up and so going to the top won't add much time because either way they won't be doubling back on themselves.

ETA:
1Actual quote: "..., we won't be much farther from home than we are now"

I can agree with most of that, that did seem to be their thinking. I do suspect that they were planning on doubling back though, just that the 2 days of travel to the mountains doesn't mean much compared to the week or so to get back to the beach, and then who knows how long to get to the people in the hills from there. I do kinda doubt they would take a different path home, because I think they'd be afraid of getting lost (they'd never been this way before). All speculation though, and they are continuing forward anyway, so we'll just have to wait for it and see what happens.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Hey! Red Hal is back!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

No one has responded to this yet, guess it's up to me:

*groan*

(It needed to be said.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

@Whizbang Ah! Your meaning is more clear to me now.

@Earthling on Mars Thanks for that.

Known people:
Tent People (Cuegan's people)
Hill People

Unknown people:
Mountain People?

Recap: Distance to Unknown people (top of the mountain) is not significantly farther ahead that, if the need to return to Known people (hills or tents) becomes necessary, they should not be prohibitively farther away than they currently are.

One hopes that we should find out soon. We must wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Image

k.bookbinder wrote:Cueball does appear to be using sound logic (Cueball did, after all, surmise that their may be a village on the other side, as I had suggested). Also, help is not guaranteed if they go back home. They do mention the other people in the hills, but, correct me if I am wrong, I do not think they ever refer to the people in the hills with any kind of familiarity; it is as if they know that they are there, but have little or nothing to do with them. The people in the hills are not necessarily their people (but it does not suggest that they are their enemies either). Which makes me wonder, do they ever mention their people, or other people that we may infer belong to the same group/community as they do/did?

They did mention their own people in frames 1160-1161:
Cueball: I wonder if other people have noticed. It's been days.
Megan: Not a lot of us by the shore this time of year. A few kids, maybe.
Megan: It'd have to rise a lot higher before any tents got wet.

ETA: Also, congrats to BlueCrab on 100 posts!

Thanks for the reminder about the exact dialogue about their people, although Cueball might talk about people in general, not just their own people. But I wonder about two things based on Megan's remarks:

1. What time of year might it be inside the OTC? When do kids go to the shore, but grown-ups don't (btw, I'd say that mentioning "kids" in this manner rules out that Cuegan are kids themselves, as it has been speculated. Teenagers at least.)? And we know that it must be warm enough to hang around at the beach for some time, and to go swimming in the sea1.

2. In one of the last frames, Cueball mentioned villages, so this concept is known to them. If we assume that the tents are where their people live, I wonder what kind of societal structure they live in. Maybe a pastoral tribe, moving around with their moolpies?

1: big
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”