1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thirds

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

There are a few baobabs that grow in the sub-saharan region just above the equator and in saudi arabia, but they're not much above the equator.
Last edited by thirds on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Ok. My 2nd theory, if not clouds and assuming that the darkening is actually due to a setting sun:

The changing lighting indicates to me that a larger brighter sun actually already just set and the one remaining is a smaller not quite as bright star.

I am now completely confused about hemispheres but I have been thinking along the same lines as the above.

Besides, stars are now visible behind the setting sun, so it's not a cloud.

Please point out these stars in what you are calling the twilight, as all I can see is just a smooth gradation.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
SBN wrote:All I can see is an arm reaching out and setting down the squirpy.

I was trying to google "squirpy" until it dawned on me that there might be more suitable words to type into heretical search engines. I've been here too long...

We need a custom search engine! Anyone up for it?

ETA for papal decree: this post possibly holds the record for largest undertaking suggested in this thread.

The search engine would just require a mapping between OTT words and regular english ones. Then you just translate and return google results. So, no, sorry I think there have been larger undertakings suggested. Compiling a list of those itself would probably be a larger undertaking.

I'll give you most overestimated effort for a suggested undertaking though... :)

Edit: Hmm. I wonder am I obligated to obey my own decree?

In that case, I claim the record for the most implicitly self-referential statement of the OTT.

Consider your record broken.

And yours.

Again.

A note on the "papal decrees," if those are still around (I sure hope not):
Please note that the following is the product of a quite irascible HAL, and I don't mean to single out the users whose posts are quoted above. This just happened to be the final straw on this matter.
Spoiler:
I want to point out that the last few posts in the quoted tree add literally nothing to the thread, especially the final blank post by taixzo. If you want to set something up where the to pater of each page issue a command to be followed for the rest of the page, take it to the "Forum Games" sub forum. These posts are dangerously of topic, highly distracting, and make this thread feel even more like a chat room, something which it very much is not. From now on, if something is labeled "per papal decree" and the decree has nothing to do with discussing the comic (so predictions/manips are excluded), which is what this thread is FOR, I'm skipping it entirely. If the "decrees" are still silly things like "break a 'record' (via self-reference)" or "post smileys," and you hide messages for me in a response to the "decree," I won't find them. If it's a particularly egregious "decree" such as "use rot13 for part of your post," there's a good chance I'll skip everything except for the ONGs. We're a great community and I love this thread, but I don't care about how long you can hold down the 'E' key on your computer and don't want to see the thread closed for being off-topic.

Thank you for your time, and if I have offended anyone personally, we can deal with it via PM (better than derailing the thread). Back to the past I go.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

edo wrote: Someone calculate the exact angle, we've got 3 clear pics now.

I'm seeing 49 degrees from horizontal. (Minus 49 degrees, or 311 degrees, on a standard unit circle.) That's from the last 4 images, all of which show (when levels are altered) a clear and round enough disc to find a center.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:A note on the "papal decrees," if those are still around (I sure hope not):
Please note that the following is the product of a quite irascible HAL, and I don't mean to single out the users whose posts are quoted above. This just happened to be the final straw on this matter.
Spoiler:
I want to point out that the last few posts in the quoted tree add literally nothing to the thread, especially the final blank post by taixzo. If you want to set something up where the to pater of each page issue a command to be followed for the rest of the page, take it to the "Forum Games" sub forum. These posts are dangerously of topic, highly distracting, and make this thread feel even more like a chat room, something which it very much is not. From now on, if something is labeled "per papal decree" and the decree has nothing to do with discussing the comic (so predictions/manips are excluded), which is what this thread is FOR, I'm skipping it entirely. If the "decrees" are still silly things like "break a 'record' (via self-reference)" or "post smileys," and you hide messages for me in a response to the "decree," I won't find them. If it's a particularly egregious "decree" such as "use rot13 for part of your post," there's a good chance I'll skip everything except for the ONGs. We're a great community and I love this thread, but I don't care about how long you can hold down the 'E' key on your computer and don't want to see the thread closed for being off-topic.

Thank you for your time, and if I have offended anyone personally, we can deal with it via PM (better than derailing the thread). Back to the past I go.

Quite right. I apologize for my post, in retrospect.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:A note on the "papal decrees," if those are still around (I sure hope not):
Spoiler:

Quite right. I apologize for my post, in retrospect.

Me too... if my memory is uncorrupted I believe shortly after those posts I realized my bad and tried to bring people back to topic.

EDIT: For the sake of propriety: Yes I would also like the stars pointing out please.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Ok. My 2nd theory, if not clouds and assuming that the darkening is actually due to a setting sun:

The changing lighting indicates to me that a larger brighter sun actually already just set and the one remaining is a smaller not quite as bright star.

I am now completely confused about hemispheres but I have been thinking along the same lines as the above.

Please point out these stars in what you are calling the twilight, as all I can see is just a smooth gradation.

Sorry, they turn out to be dust on my screen :oops:

(edited to add: but I still think it's nightfall)
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Please point out these stars in what you are calling the twilight, as all I can see is just a smooth gradation.

That made me lol :lol:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

I can't believe that nobody's noticed the huge elemolpy next to the tree yet!!
(Oh, wait, never mind. I really need to clean my monitor some time.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:

You're right, we got more than a little silly there, and I apologize too. But, as I've pointed out before, the page-papacies themselves serve a larger purpose─they allow us to see when a low-post-count user has cleared moderation, so his posts can be thrown forward for all to see. So I continue in favor of at least recognizing the post that originally falls at the top of a Newpage; "poping" the poster is merely a humorous convention.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Blindposting from about a dix back to say:

AAAAAAAAAAAA! The unfading!

OK, that's all. See you when I'm back in the present.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Blindposting from about a dix back to say:

You mean... it's THE ANTIFADE. So when we see Cueball and Megan again they actually will have built a huge sandcastle on the mountainside and we briefly see LaPetite coming in from the right-hand side.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm going to buck consensus and say that it is sunset we're seeing, and not overspreading clouds or smoke or whatnot. If you look at just the sun's movement, it looks like just before sunset, and if you look at just the darkening in the gamma-adjusted animation mscha posted, it looks like just after sunset. Randall is exercising some artistic license and showing the setting disc and the beginning of dusk simultaneously instead of one followed by the other. Keep in mind that, so far, you can't even see the sun disc clearly without modifying the image. He might even have added the sun disc to try to make it clearer that it's sunset rather than clouds or smoke, and that backfired because he didn't expect us to nitpick the timing and the lighting.

Randall has cut away to a generic landscape for the show (just as a movie might cut to a separate stock shot of a sunset) for production reasons. He can't spend too much of his time on Time, and this way he can deal with the sky gradients without having to also draw Cuegan or changing backgrounds. I predict that when it's done, we'll cut back to Cuegan higher on the mountain. (I don't believe the current sunset scene is of the top of the mountain, because the tree is too robust to be growing on a mountaintop.)

Another prediction: just before the sky goes dark, the silhouette of the raptorcat will stalk across the frame.

I have two other reasons for thinking it's normal nightfall rather than a storm or fire. The first is what I've come to think of as The OTC's Razor: "New elements in the images should be interpreted in the way that explains the images adequately while minimizing the new elements in the story." For instance, a growing speck in the sky is far more likely to be a bird than a plane full of paratroopers. A sunset leads to fewer new elements than a sunset plus rain or wildfire. The second reason relates to an earlier prediction of mine.

However, I could be wrong. This could even be some event that even Megan and Cueball don't expect or understand, like the sea rising. "Why is this night different from all other nights?" Megan will ask. Then they'll have to stop for a seder.

Kay... I don't have much time to come out and play today, but this is exciting stuff going on. I WANT it to be smoke/clouds/fog. I don't like the idea of it being a sunset. HOWEVER, Rule110's explanation here is a pretty good argument for a sunset scenario. And his Passover joke at the end made me laugh out loud, helped by the fact that once he said "Why is this night different from all other nights?" I thought of the seder myself just before reading his next sentence.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Hmm, I guess it could be that it isn't actually getting much darker yet, but that, because of the sun shining into Randall's “camera”, the exposure settings are changing, which makes it look darker.
Still, I think it looks more like smoke. (Combined with sunset, of course.)

What I definitely don't believe is that it's artistic license by the Lord Randall. He's too much of a perfectionist for that.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

It could be mustard. But whatever it is, Megball is continuing. They could've reached the top when this scene is completed.

And shame on us for noticing it 3 frames after the darkening started. Love the amplified animations though.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Woah! Randammit guys, all the excitement always happens while I'm a-coma! Image <- pretend that's a grumpy dragon :x

Here's what I think. Yes, the sun is setting - but this isn't the first time. Clearly, multiple days have gone by Inside - this is just the first time we've been able to see the sun's action. Becaaaaausse...of the smoke/clouds. I'm leaning towards clouds because of their volume and the fact that this is a mountain, but it could just as well be a large amount of smoke from a bonfire the Mountain People are preparing over which to roast Cuegan alive.

Re: Papal decrees:
Yeah it was getting a little redonculous. Please note that I did say in my code-decree that plaintext should be included in a spoiler for blitzers, and you, HAL, were in this case a blitzer, so...

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

tONG it down

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Updated animation:

Updated corner colors (NW/NE/SE/SW):
Spoiler:
np2352: #ffffff/#fefefe/#000000/#000000
np2353: #ffffff/#fcfcfc/#000000/#000000
np2354: #ffffff/#fbfbfb/#000000/#000000
np2355: #ffffff/#fafafa/#000000/#000000
np2356: #ffffff/#f9f9f9/#000000/#000000
np2357: #ffffff/#f7f7f7/#000000/#000000
np2358: #ffffff/#efefef/#000000/#000000
np2359: #ffffff/#e9e9e9/#000000/#000000
np2360: #fbfbfb/#e3e3e3/#000000/#000000
np2361: #f2f2f2/#dcdcdc/#000000/#000000
np2362: #e9e9e9/#d5d5d5/#000000/#000000
np2363: #dfdfdf/#cecece/#000000/#000000
np2364: #d5d5d5/#c6c6c6/#000000/#000000
np2365: #d0d0d0/#c2c2c2/#000000/#000000
np2366: #cdcdcd/#c0c0c0/#000000/#000000
Note that the fading is slowing down. The NE (top-right) corner only darkened by two in the last frame.

Also note the halo around the sun. Definitely shining through something, either a thin cloud layer, or smoke.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Actually, this newpix has made me change my mind. It's definitely a sunset.

Which I guess implies that all of Time has taken place within one Inside day? Maybe they're on a different planet that rotates about its axis a lot slower, and thus has longer days (hence why they took so many napping breaks - maybe they're non-native, and go on a different schedule).

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:Updated twerked (gamma 0.2) animation:
Spoiler:

Definitely a setting sun through the smoke? clouds?
(Not a moon. A full moon sets while the sun rises, and it can't really be dawn.)

Also, if this is a setting sun, we're on the northern hemisphere. Low latitudes, given the angle.

I disagree. The moon can be in a position where it is above the horizon while the sun is out, but only becoming visible as the sun sets.
Spoiler:

The moon and the sun can easily be in the same sky, but it's usually not very visible if they're close to the same position (the moon would be close to new and difficult to see). Actually, just last year I saw a selenelion (lunar eclipse and the sun rising at the same time) from the top of a mountain near my house.

thirds wrote:If the darkening is to indicate the setting sun, then it can only be this way because of artistic license, forcing the sun to be visible so we can see it set. It simply does not happen this way. I think it's more likely these are supposed to be clouds darkening the sky at the same time the sun is setting, so that it's visible.

That's not entirely true. We don't generally perceive much darkening until the sun has actually set, but the absolute light levels vary throughout the day. And as the sun is getting lower in the sky in these frames, we are hitting the threshold brightness for pure white.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

103: After many a speculation on what the castle is made of, we start combining things and making semencancercaffeinebabies.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Actually, this newpix has made me change my mind. It's definitely a sunset.

Which I guess implies that all of Time has taken place within one Inside day? Maybe they're on a different planet that rotates about its axis a lot slower, and thus has longer days (hence why they took so many napping breaks - maybe they're non-native, and go on a different schedule).

...How long is the day on Pandora?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Sorry, they turn out to be dust on my screen

Oh, that's why I was seeing them too. But you've inspired me now:

I close my eyes
Just a centinewpix and the ONG is gone
All my dreams
Ninja'd by you guys with your velocity

Dust on my screen
All the stars are dust on my screen

Same old ONG
Will a drop of water lift an endless sea?
MeganCue
Castles fall to ground, which through the fade we see

(Aa aa aa)
Dust on my screen
Oh, ho, ho

And so, hang on
Wait for it, forever, as the earth and sky
It fades to grey
And those old hash codes won't another newpix buy

Dust on my screen
(And molpies hide in dust on my screen)

Dust on my screen
(TimeWaiting through dust on my screen)
TimeWaiting through dust on my screen

Marsh'n

ETR: A cut and paste leftover, which nevertheless communicated that this is to the tune of Dust in the Wind by Kansas.
Last edited by Marsh'n on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

The theory that all of Time so far took place in a single day, and this is the first sunset, really makes no sense.
Not only has Cuegan commented that they've been walking for days, but most importantly:
Dialogue from the Comic wrote:2304.1 Megan Do you think we should keep going up?
2305.1 Cueball We can't be more than a day or so from the top. There may be people there.
2306.1 Megan Like the people in the hills?
2306.2 Cueball We're a long way from there.
2307.1 Cueball We don't know what's past the mountains. If we go up a little more, we'll be able to see. There could be villages.
2308.1 Megan And if there's no one there, we won't be much farther from home than we are now.

Why would they walk for a day, up a mountain, to an uncertain fate, if they could walk downhill and be home in the same time?

ETA: ⁴ ottification, Marsh'n!

ETA2: Wakey wakey, BlitzGirl! Have you still not learned that all mustard breaks loose when you are acoma? No more coma for you, young lady!
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

100 posts! Woohooo!!!

It’s time for a celebration, which is probably needed more than ever in these times of Time where the smokeduskcloudfogshadows might foresmokeduskcloudfogshadow darker (literally? figuratively?) times.
I lack Image’s fancy artistic skills or Image’s vocal talent (maybe they want to give it a shot?), but nevertheless I present you as a Present Present:

Every New Frame’s Awefulsome
(based on the OtherComic "Every Major's Terrible", to the tune of "Modern Major-General")

A couple sat down at the beach, it seemed that they did just relax
And sandcastles were topped with crenellations and some tiny flags.
The journey didn’t start just out of simple curiosity,
They want to know about the rising semencancercoffeesea.

Why Cuegan seem to know not much remains a constant mystery
And leads to theories about apocalyptic history.
We post and ketchup every dix, some read it all and others skipped.
No matter, everyone’s welcome! (and have you seen the javascript??)

I’d rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a big moleopard
To witness buttermolpy’s end was nature’s course, but really hard.
The molpyhunt, it can go on as soon as the next ONG will come
Just put me down as “Waiting for it” – every new frame’s awefulsome!

Now, if you can't prognosticate, that's ok in the OTT
But if your memory's weak as well, you'd best consult the Time-wiki.
The nested quotes will make each post a struggle getting brackets right.
All flames are quenched and this is why we haven’t seen an ugly fight.

We were prepared for epic battles fought with tiny trebuchets
And LaPetite’s return was almost missed due to the fading’s haze.
Though wow-trees probably suggest a Madagascar set by far
The wiki page lists arguments for Randallverse or Africa.

They want to find out if the rivers influence the sea at all
But all they have found up to date are big hills and a wowterfall.
I recognize my coma-schedule's gone and help will never come
But put me down as “Waiting for it” – every new frame’s awefulsome!

Dilgunnerangs are used for drinking, Cuegan do not use a mug
The steambottle’s a no-go; it just makes them want to utter “ugh”.
Cue’s too ophiophobic to consider herpetology
And Meg can't stomach any part of her self-picked weird-tree-berry.

While flashy things give twitchy eyes, hence spoilering is what we choose
A poetry degree is earned for double-dactyls and haikus.
The inquisition likes to use hot chocolate and the comfy chair
(The punishment with S&Ms for heresy is very fair).

By hatting people’s avatars, we show our creativity
And cupcakes seem to taste best when they’re relished with an OTTidy.
In terms of ingenuity, a greater thread will never come.
Just put me down as “Waiting for it” – every new frame’s awefulsome!

Also, penis.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Thanks! And nice gammafication, mscha. I really love how this looks like dusk with a rising moon.

Spoiler:

ETC (Edited to Celebrate): Having reached my 6th post, I am now able to use an actual signature, so I deleted the fake one.
Last edited by Marsh'n on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

I believe in a thing called love

Postby HES » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

AAH! The antifade is upon us! (I vote cloud, but plausible sunset, but not the first night)Image
Burton wrote:Anyway, what if in the world that they live on the planetary "day" is much, much longer than "normal" Earth? Maybe they measure what they call days by something else, and real "night" is finally coming. This might also explain the sea rising, maybe it's just a very slow tide coming in.

And why the people have no faces, because longer days, er, look! a squrpy!

BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:

I'm sorry :(

I had more to say but the darkness is more important.
Is it the fade back to LaPetite everyone has been predicting?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The theory that all of Time so far took place in a single day, and this is the first sunset, really makes no sense.
Not only has Cuegan commented that they've been walking for days, but most importantly:
Dialogue from the Comic wrote:2304.1 Megan Do you think we should keep going up?
2305.1 Cueball We can't be more than a day or so from the top. There may be people there.
2306.1 Megan Like the people in the hills?
2306.2 Cueball We're a long way from there.
2307.1 Cueball We don't know what's past the mountains. If we go up a little more, we'll be able to see. There could be villages.
2308.1 Megan And if there's no one there, we won't be much farther from home than we are now.

Why would they walk for a day, up a mountain, to an uncertain fate, if they could walk downhill and be home in the same time?

ETA: ⁴ ottification, Marsh'n!

ETA2: Wakey wakey, BlitzGirl! Have you still not learned that all mustard breaks loose when you are acoma? No more coma for you, young lady!

Oh. hmm.

Well, maybe I'll backpedal on my packpedalling. I dunno. I will admit, though, this looks an awful lot like a sunset, and we haven't seen anything like it before.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

(edited to add: but I still think it's nightfall)

I've had to double check many a potential molpy for the same reason.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Perhaps the smoke/fog/cloud is a clue to what broke the river? Too little to go on, but perhaps significant in retrospect.

Rule110 wrote:... and that backfired because he didn't expect us to nitpick the timing and the lighting.
The idea that Randall did not expect us to nitpick is heresy of the highest order. Silly too. I hereby sentence you to... no, I paragraph you to the Chocolate Maiden. It's like the Foam Maiden, but it's maiden Belgium, and quite tasty.

Maybe I'll commit some heresy too!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:100 posts! Woohooo!!!
(...)
Every New Frame’s Awefulsome
(based on the OtherComic "Every Major's Terrible", to the tune of "Modern Major-General")

Epic ottification! Image
And happy 100th. Here, have some cake:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

The darkness after many days of light agrees with my old theory of prehistoric warm Antarctica, with midnight sun during summer.

But nothing else agrees with that theory, I must admit.

In my experience, the sun sets from left to right on the north hemisphere. But of course, my experience is restricted to Earth. Cuegan might live on the southern hemisphere of Venus, which has a slow and retrograde rotation. This would have to be before the global warming of Venus. And there is no evidence that Venus lacked Baobabs in those days. I mean, who can tell?
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Blindposting from about a dix back to say:

You mean... it's THE ANTIFADE.

You mean, it's ~*~TiMe InTo DaRkNess~*~

*See http://xkcd.com/1167/
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:You mean, it's ~*~TiMe InTo DaRkNess~*~

And henceforth this era will be named as such!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ETA2: Wakey wakey, BlitzGirl! Have you still not learned that all mustard breaks loose when you are acoma? No more coma for you, young lady!

Msdffgrrmsrrff...hmm? Oh look, a sun!

taixzo wrote:The sun is going to the right as it sets; therefore, we must conclude (sadly) that this is north of the equator. Is there anywhere north of the equator where baobabs grow?

Yes. This conveniently fits with my Africanist theories that Cuegan is somewhere around the Ivory Coast to Nigeria region. :D :D :D

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I completely understand Hal's perspective on this, as a former blitzer myself. Viewing it from the past, papal decrees are annoying (often very annoying). But from a present perspective, they give us something to do while Waiting for the most recent ONG. I would argue that this has been going on long before the establishment of the page papacy (remember ROT-13? And the bag puns? And legos and pronouns and math and morse code...), we've simply been using the papacy as a convenient start/end point for the off-topicness that has always been present on the OTT.

rvloon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:My apartment doesn't allow real molpies. Image

Does it eat them?

I wouldn't be surprised.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Seconding mscha, that was fantastic ZoomanSP.

By the way, is foresmokeduskcloudfogshadowing an official new verb now? As in, "my OTTification foresmokeduskcloudfogshadowed Kieryn's comment about dustmolpies"?

I like it. At the very least, I think this TimePeriod should be called "The Smokeduskcloudfogshadowing" in the Wiki.

Ack! Ninja'd by HES. My first being-ninja'd! :o

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Angelastic wrote:You mean, it's ~*~TiMe InTo DaRkNess~*~

And henceforth this era will be named as such!

Marsh'n wrote:I think this TimePeriod should be called "The Smokeduskcloudfogshadowing" in the Wiki.

Excellent, now there will be a page-renaming fight on the wiki, just like in #1167.

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:The sun is going to the right as it sets; therefore, we must conclude (sadly) that this is north of the equator. Is there anywhere north of the equator where baobabs grow?

Yes. This conveniently fits with my Africanist theories that Cuegan is somewhere around the Ivory Coast to Nigeria region. :D :D :D

Can we narrow it down further using the shadow directions from earlier?

I think I like the idea of there being multiple suns, and this being the first time the 1 one has set since the beginning, although there have been several 'days' defined by the 2 one. So there's a Spring tide of some sort because of that. I don't think this idea is particularly probable, but I like it. I don't like the idea of this being a sunset like any other which is inexplicably visible.

Great OTTification, ZoomanSP!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

DOWNDOWNDONG

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Excellent, now there will be a page-renaming fight on the wiki, just like in #1167.

"It's all related." We just have to Wait for It to see how...
As for me, I think I'll pass on the fighting. My Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator would make a mess of the wiki.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Animation update, still twerked with gamma 0.2:

Corner color update:
Spoiler:
np2352: #ffffff/#fefefe/#000000/#000000
np2353: #ffffff/#fcfcfc/#000000/#000000
np2354: #ffffff/#fbfbfb/#000000/#000000
np2355: #ffffff/#fafafa/#000000/#000000
np2356: #ffffff/#f9f9f9/#000000/#000000
np2357: #ffffff/#f7f7f7/#000000/#000000
np2358: #ffffff/#efefef/#000000/#000000
np2359: #ffffff/#e9e9e9/#000000/#000000
np2360: #fbfbfb/#e3e3e3/#000000/#000000
np2361: #f2f2f2/#dcdcdc/#000000/#000000
np2362: #e9e9e9/#d5d5d5/#000000/#000000
np2363: #dfdfdf/#cecece/#000000/#000000
np2364: #d5d5d5/#c6c6c6/#000000/#000000
np2365: #d0d0d0/#c2c2c2/#000000/#000000
np2366: #cdcdcd/#c0c0c0/#000000/#000000
np2367: #cacaca/#c0c0c0/#000000/#000000
Darkening has now stopped completely in the top-right corner, but the top-left corner is 3 darker than last frame.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”