1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Does anyone know enough of stellar kinematics to find out when some part of the night's sky is going to look like the current picture?

ooops, the Late Great, Universally Mourned :) Neil B. must have skipped the last 4 NewPages :oops:

Arr, that be true. Now I know. 14KY. Awefull!

mscha wrote:Can't be the moon, unless some prakster painted it black in the future.
The moon is far enough away from the sun that it'd be well into the first quarter, so it'd definitely be visible, and certainly outshine the Milky Way.

The moon is black because the carbon fiber moon based space elevator met with an asteroid a couple of millennia before Time.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Can't be the moon, unless some prakster painted it black in the future.
The moon is far enough away from the sun that it'd be well into the first quarter, so it'd definitely be visible, and certainly outshine the Milky Way.

*Shrugs*

Like I said, I am no expert, or even a novice. Looking at your list of frames, though, mscha, I can clearly see it enter the picture and move mostly in conjunction with the Milky Way, shifting away somewhat from its start relative to the Milky Way. So, to me, that means it is seperate than the Milky Way, and somewhere between the Milky Way and Earth.

Would painting the moon black really reduce it's glow? I'd imagine paint, of any color, would increase its reflectivity. Covering it with a dark powder/sand of some sort, though...

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

If it were the moon, it'd be far enough away from the sun that it'd be well into the first quarter, so it'd definitely be visible, and certainly outshine the Milky Way.

Indeed. But with a sun being abnormally big, who knows what they did to the moon in all this time?
Last edited by edfel on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:You have a point there.

But if there is one webcomic designer/blogger out there in the world, who may keep tabs on scientific accuracy of even the background of his panels I am pretty sure whom I would place my money on.
(let's hope Whizbang'S dark circle is a new moon and places Time to something more ... nearby.)

Nearby enough that the new moon sets ~3 hours after sunset?
I get the first point, but why do the stars get more weight than the baobab? We know where those are, we might even know specifically which tree that weird one that probably knows what it is doing is. We either have to fit the rest of time to that, or we have to find the explanation for why it doesn't fit.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

There was a short story where somebody sent signal rockets to the moon, where they blew up and sprayed carbon black over hundreds of miles of the surface, to spell out the name of "a popular soft drink"; I think that might have been one of Asimov's.

(And speaking of Asimov's best work: Nobody's yet mentioned "The Martian Way," one of my favorites, a terrific story about politics and independent thinking and space flight, in which Asimov predicted the euphoria that space-walking astronauts sometimes report─in 1952, over a decade before the first EVA, years even before the first space flight.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Not an expert either, but both that not-moon and the horsey thingy are probably some kind of (dark) nebula. (Not clouds, since they move with the stars.)
Can any resident astronomers comment on this, please?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

But if there is one webcomic designer/blogger out there in the world, who may keep tabs on scientific accuracy of even the background of his panels I am pretty sure whom I would place my money on.
(let's hope Whizbang'S dark circle is a new moon and places Time to something more ... nearby.)

I get the first point, but why do the stars get more weight than the baobab? We know where those are, we might even know specifically which tree that weird one that probably knows what it is doing is. We either have to fit the rest of time to that, or we have to find the explanation for why it doesn't fit.

You can grow a baobab elsewhere, but you can't move the stars.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I get the first point, but why do the stars get more weight than the baobab? We know where those are, we might even know specifically which tree that weird one that probably knows what it is doing is. We either have to fit the rest of time to that, or we have to find the explanation for why it doesn't fit.

Because there are more physics nerds than botanic nerds on the OTT? :roll:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

NodONG?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Wildhound

Re: M-O-O-N, that spells moon!

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Maybe the images changed to fix the anti-mustard of there being no moon, but I clearly see a moon in these images. I am not an astronomer, or any sort of star gazer. I have a hard enough time finding the big dipper. So, maybe this dark circle is something else. What do the smart people think?
Spoiler:
xkcd_time_20130628_0400

xkcd_time_20130628_0600

xkcd_time_20130628_0800

xkcd_time_20130628_1000

xkcd_time_20130628_1200

That's no moon!

Spoiler:

I'm sorry. I had to.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Until we hear from a resident moon and star expert, maybe a pixel expert can at least attempt to draw a line showing the angle of the not-moon's path vs the Milky Way's path. If the path of the not-moon is the same as the is-moon, then we can at least claim that someone covered the moon in mustard.

Also, if this not-moon is somehow the is-moon, just different, that may explain the sea.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Would painting the moon black really reduce it's glow? I'd imagine paint, of any color, would increase its reflectivity. Covering it with a dark powder/sand of some sort, though...

You've never used "flat" paints? :-)

Yes, black would absorb much of the Sun's energy, leaving less to reflect. If the Moon's surface were a smooth sphere, then a glossy paint would form a somewhat mirror-like surface, meaning that you would see a bright flare-like reflection of the Sun, reduced in size, at a particular spot of the moon's orb. But even glossy black paint would absorb a lot of energy, meaning that the flare would be far less bright than, say, the Sun itself. And the areas of the lunar surface *not* flaring would appear black as ... well ... night.

A dark powder would be similar to a flat paint, meaning that you would see very little or no flare.

BTW, the moon is only ever 100.0% "new" when the moon appears *very* close to the Sun. You can see very thin crescent close to the western horizon *just* after sunset, or close to the eastern horizon *just* before sunrise. In other words, if the moon is a waning crescent, we won't see it until Dawn, and then it will be towards the east.

*edit - "until Dawn what?" you ask. Until she wakes up.
Last edited by sford on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Angelastic

Re: M-O-O-N, that spells moon!

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:That's no moon!

It's a space[citation].

Can I join the MYQM?? I never knew until now, but I think my greatest dream might be to walk down the aisle (or have a first and only dance) to molpy molpy molpy molpy...

Also, the Cueball smiley looks somewhat like an unselected radio button on some platforms, and someone should make a radio button which turns into Megan when selected (and LaPetite when indeterminate?) for those operating systems! where GUI consistency is frowned upon and reinventing such wheels is the norm.

[citation]an empty one, in the middle of the comic. *shrug*
?Marrying Yappo Queue Mob
!e.g. Windows, GNU/Linux
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
SBN wrote:

You can grow a baobab elsewhere, but you can't move the stars.

More precisely: botanic conclusions need two key assumptions to work: 1) the story takes place on Earth, at this time (give or take a few thousand years) and 2) the climate is the one as we know it. If either of these is false, there is no point in looking for the current positions of trees. The sky can give conclusions about this (is the stars line-up correspond to 13ky inthe future, 1) is false, if the sun is twice as large as normal, then 2) is probably false).

Whizbang wrote:Until we hear from a resident moon and star expert, maybe a pixel expert can at least attempt to draw a line showing the angle of the not-moon's path vs the Milky Way's path. If the path of the not-moon is the same as the is-moon, then we can at least claim that someone covered the moon in mustard.

Also, if this not-moon is somehow the is-moon, just different, that may explain the sea.

The problem is, mustard'd moon or actual hole in the milky way, then both trajectories should be the same over the course of 1h or so. And the problem with a black disk on a black background is that getting the exact position is difficult....
What could be done, is simply to take a look at actual pictures of the Milky Way, and check if there is this kind of hole near Sagittarus...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

There's an MYQM now? Oh my :oops:

It makes me wonder though, what would a wedding ceremony be like in the Religion of the OTC?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Blind reply:
ucim wrote:Blindposted from the present - a long story.
jovialbard wrote:I find it hard to buy that no matter where you look in the night sky, at no matter what angle, any object movement will be perpendicular to a line at an angle equivalent to your latitude. If that were the case, why is it not true for a setting sun? Does the earth move around the sun fast enough that during the time of a sunset it would affect the angle that the sun sets??? If not then the sun is static in the night(/day) sky and should be moving at the same angle as everything else up there... right??? (eta: I'm probably not getting something)
<snip>
So, not much. But since the sun actually does change position (north to south) throughout the year<snip>

Which is precisely why you can't pick any object moving through the night sky, measure it's angle of decent, compare the angle of it's perpendicular to the horizon, and know the latitude. You would need to know what object you are looking at. I mean, you're right, the sun is essentially static in the celestial sphere on any given night. If you could pick any object in the night sky and measure it's perpendicular against the horizon to find the latitude, then the sun's angle of descent would always give you the latitude. Again, unless we are moving around the sun so fast that it essentially curves across the sky perceptibly during the few hours of a sunset.

eta: though I'm sure this has been discussed and resolved at some point in the last 10 NP or however long, so carry on with the analysis gents!
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Until we hear from a resident moon and star expert, maybe a pixel expert can at least attempt to draw a line showing the angle of the not-moon's path vs the Milky Way's path. If the path of the not-moon is the same as the is-moon, then we can at least claim that someone covered the moon in mustard.

The problem is, mustard'd moon or actual hole in the milky way, then both trajectories should be the same over the course of 1h or so. And the problem with a black disk on a black background is that getting the exact position is difficult....
What could be done, is simply to take a look at actual pictures of the Milky Way, and check if there is this kind of hole near Sagittarus...

The dark circle does shift somewhat relative to the Milky Way. For reference, look at the right side of the not-moon. There is a little dark-isthmus with a star in it. To my untrained eye, the moon moves slightly faster down than the dark-isthmus, and shifts a little to the right into the isthmus, making the whole right side of the not-moon disappear. This, to me, shows that the two bodies are seperate.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:There's an MYQM now? Oh my :oops:

It makes me wonder though, what would a wedding ceremony be like in the Religion of the OTC?

Darn, definitely born in the wrong century.

Will you, <insert name here> take <insert yappobiscuit's name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:

Will you, <insert name here> take <insert yappobiscuit's name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?

Ronald

Another fragment (we can order them into a coherent ceremony later):
Dearly bethreaded, we are needle-pulled here toxip, in the sight of Randall and the presence of these Waitnesses, to join this Cueman and this Megman in Timely Waitrimony.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I get the first point, but why do the stars get more weight than the baobab? We know where those are, we might even know specifically which tree that weird one that probably knows what it is doing is. We either have to fit the rest of time to that, or we have to find the explanation for why it doesn't fit.

Stars have more weight. Baobabs on stars theoretically have more weigh than baobabs on Earth. But, since they are also in a state of plasma, they do not look like baobabs.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
edfel wrote:

The dark circle does shift somewhat relative to the Milky Way. For reference, look at the right side of the not-moon. There is a little dark-isthmus with a star in it. To my untrained eye, the moon moves slightly faster down than the dark-isthmus, and shifts a little to the right into the isthmus, making the whole right side of the not-moon disappear. This, to me, shows that the two bodies are seperate.

I've compared with this image:
sag-milkyway.jpg

there oindeed seems to be a hole in the milky way at roughly the right position, with two stars visible in the top image (which anyway shows far much stars than the OTC). It's not really conclusive, in any case it's quite hard to tell...

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
rvloon wrote:

Ronald

Another fragment (we can order them into a coherent ceremony later):
Dearly bethreaded, we are needle-pulled here toxip, in the sight of Randall and the presence of these Waitnesses, to join this Cueman and this Megman in Timely Waitrimony.

It's a times like this you miss an appropriate 'attaboy', 'lol', 'grin' button on forums.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

There was a short story where somebody sent signal rockets to the moon, where they blew up and sprayed carbon black over hundreds of miles of the surface, to spell out the name of "a popular soft drink"; I think that might have been one of Asimov's.

Heinlein. "The Man Who Sold the Moon."

And ... those who are thinking that GLR painted the Moon black: it's pretty near black already! Ever look at the rocks the astronauts brought back? Most of them are about the colour of the asphalt they spread on the roads. The Moon looks silvery in the heavens only by contrast with the blackness of space. My guess is that even spread with carbon black, it would still look silvery. Maybe if GLR put a Moon-sized mirror in front of it, and showed us the image of a darker patch of sky, it might look as we see in the comic. That's less plausible than a dark nebula occluding part of the Galaxy.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
kenmelken wrote:One Pix More
based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
Spoiler:
Note: because there are so many shifting characters and overlapping pieces in this one, I've also included in parenthesis which original characters from the play correspond to the given lyrics. Here is a link to the original lyrics, divided in exactly the same way as these are here.
MSCHA (Valjean)
One pix more!
Another pix, another destiny.
Their never-ending quest to solve the Sea;
The Raptor-cat, strong and sublime,
Will surely come a second time.
One pix more!

CUEBALL (Marius)
I’m glad we both survived today.
How could I live if you’d not thwapped it?

CHRONOSDRAGON (Valjean)
One pix more.

CUEBALL & MEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
Tomorrow we could reach the top
(And then the Wiki will recap it).

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own.

Will there be folks at the top?

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day by the Sandcastle.

I was drawn to be with you.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like: they don't know!

And I swear I’ll protect you!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
'Cuz they never saw me here!

Epic violins and key change!

BLUECRAB (Enjolras)
Three full pages full of math!

HAL9000 (Marius)
Better than those dumb decrees!

JJJDAVIDSON (Enjolras)
How do we get so off-topic?

JOVIALBARD (Marius)
Choose an empire, not a pope!

STRATPLAYER (Enjolras)
See the filks begin to form

HES (Marius)
Do I coma? Do I dare?

UCIM (Enjolras)
Will you wait for it with me?

ALL
The time is now, the ONG is here!

K.BOOKBINDER (Valjean)
One pix more!

RAZOR AGENT LMJB1964 (Javert)
One more pix to hunt down zombies,
We will nip them in the bud!
We will relocate the raptors,
They won’t feast upon our blood!

VALARYA (Valjean)
Cupcakes more!

BLITZGIRL & TAIXZO (Thenardiers)
Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
When they catch up at last!
Never do we skip,
Everything we touch
We are the true Blitzers
So we don’t miss much!

2 Groups: RANDALLVERSISTS & AFRICANISTS
1: This pic proves it’s all a fiction!

2: Too specific snakes and trees!

1: Baobabs and squirrels don’t match

2: Don’t forget the leopard cat!

1: There's a new world called Cassini

2: It’s our SAME world—Africa!

ALL
Do you hear the Yappo sing?

KENMELKEN (Marius)
My place is here, I wait with you!

BUFFYGIRL (Valjean)
One hat more!

Epic finale key change and overlapping reprises/variations of the earlier sections:

CUEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
I’m glad that we survived today.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own!

CUEBALL (Marius)

ETERNAL DENSITY (Javert)
Cue & Megan are our heroes
We will follow where they go
We will learn their little Secrets,
We will know the things they know.

RULE110 (Valjean)
One pix more!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like--they don't know!

PATZER (Marius & Cosette)
And then the Wiki will recap it!

We will relocate the raptors!

Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer

KIERYN (Valjean)
Each newpix watch the OTC
Each newpix write the OTT

ALL
Each newpix we'll discover
What the one true author has in store!
One more frame
One more pix
Oooooone piiiiiiiix mooooooooooooore!
Link to youtube of original.

Epic.7

Wow. WOW. Wowowowooooow.

Absolutely epic. I listened to the song as I read along with the filk and I jumped out of my chair and cheered several times. :shock: :mrgreen: Incredible filk, guy.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

(And speaking of Asimov's best work: Nobody's yet mentioned "The Martian Way," one of my favorites, a terrific story about politics and independent thinking and space flight, in which Asimov predicted the euphoria that space-walking astronauts sometimes report─in 1952, over a decade before the first EVA, years even before the first space flight.)

Ahhh, my memory is still good. I thought it was Heinlein, and viola : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_Moon

Atsray . Ninja'd by AnotherKevin. OK, then, who remembers the story in which "jaunting" becomes the new way to travel?
Last edited by cellocgw on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

So we've to reiterate Occam's razor - we may have applied too few assumptions.

Wanna have some more?

• Cueball could be dreaming or is delirious because of a heavy head trauma
  • The moon is clouded by a small round cloud.
  • The moon has been colored really totally pitch black due to a new campaign of C___ Zero.
  • Cueball and Megan are in a parallel universe in which 9/11 never happened (but maybe an 11/9mir) and Baobabs are growing everywhere in year 13000+
  • They aren't anywhere but in a wet trunkRenie
  • Gru finally succeededdespic
  • We did not see the sun go down; it was an UFO landingclose
  • GLR is not infallible. Nah, stay serious, please.

ageSee here
Sulaweyohere
tableor here
encounterI hope you are checking the mousover first, anyway
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And here's an enhanced version of the whole scene animation. Until the sun is set, the scene has been slightly darkened (gamma 0.5), after that it has been lightened (gamma 2), so you'll see a bit of a jump in brightness.
Spoiler:

Maximum Elongation! did you see it! It is venus! it turns retrograde right before it sets! Sorry for all the exclaimation points!

We can determine the exact position of the sun from the max elongation point.

EDIT: is it just me? can anyone else confirm
Last edited by edo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
edfel wrote:

I've compared with this image:
sag-milkyway.jpg

there oindeed seems to be a hole in the milky way at roughly the right position, with two stars visible in the top image (which anyway shows far much stars than the OTC). It's not really conclusive, in any case it's quite hard to tell...

Shift your circle/oval down and to the left. The line of your oval bisects the area in question.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:--------

Now, I must go a-coma again, but I have something special for you all: a new Les Mis ottifiparotimeodyfilk! Now, go easy on me, as this is only my second song here (the other being my short "Wonderful thing about Molpies," so this is my first attempt at something actually substantial). My philosophy here was, the less one has to change the better, so I tried to make subtle contextual changes that redirected other unaltered pieces of the source text. Anyway, the following is a crazy mess, but so is the OTT and OTC, so that's kinda what I was trying to capture anyway. Behold...

One Pix More
based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
Note: because there are so many shifting characters and overlapping pieces in this one, I've also included in parenthesis which original characters from the play correspond to the given lyrics. Here is a link to the original lyrics, divided in exactly the same way as these are here.
Spoiler:
MSCHA (Valjean)
One pix more!
Another pix, another destiny.
Their never-ending quest to solve the Sea;
The Raptor-cat, strong and sublime,
Will surely come a second time.
One pix more!

CUEBALL (Marius)
I’m glad we both survived today.

CHRONOSDRAGON (Valjean)
One pix more.

(And then the Wiki will recap it).

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own.

Will there be folks at the top?

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day by the Sandcastle.

I was drawn to be with you.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like: they don't know!

And I swear I’ll protect you!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
'Cuz they never saw me here!

Epic violins and key change!

BLUECRAB (Enjolras)
Three full pages full of math!

HAL9000 (Marius)
Better than those dumb decrees!

JJJDAVIDSON (Enjolras)
How do we get so off-topic?

JOVIALBARD (Marius)
Choose an empire, not a pope!

STRATPLAYER (Enjolras)
See the filks begin to form

HES (Marius)
Do I coma? Do I dare?

UCIM (Enjolras)
Will you wait for it with me?

ALL
The time is now, the ONG is here!

K.BOOKBINDER (Valjean)
One pix more!

We will relocate the raptors,
They won’t feast upon our blood!

VALARYA (Valjean)
Cupcakes more!

Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
Never do we skip,
Everything we touch
We are the true Blitzers
So we don’t miss much!

2 Groups: RANDALLVERSISTS & AFRICANISTS
1: This pic proves it’s all a fiction!

2: Too specific snakes and trees!

1: Baobabs and squirrels don’t match

2: Don’t forget the leopard cat!

1: There's a new world called Cassini

2: It’s our SAME world—Africa!

ALL
Do you hear the Yappo sing?

KENMELKEN (Marius)
My place is here, I wait with you!

BUFFYGIRL (Valjean)
One hat more!

Epic finale key change and overlapping reprises/variations of the earlier sections:

CUEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
I’m glad that we survived today.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own!

CUEBALL (Marius)

ETERNAL DENSITY (Javert)
Cue & Megan are our heroes
We will follow where they go
We will learn their little Secrets,
We will know the things they know.

RULE110 (Valjean)
One pix more!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like--they don't know!

PATZER (Marius & Cosette)
And then the Wiki will recap it!

We will relocate the raptors!

Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer

KIERYN (Valjean)
Each newpix watch the OTC
Each newpix write the OTT

ALL
Each newpix we'll discover
What the one true author has in store!
One more frame
One more pix
Oooooone piiiiiiiix mooooooooooooore!

Link to youtube of original.

That was absolutely awefulsome! It made me so happy I was crying by the end!

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I love that Taixzo and I are the Thénardiers. Image

Teehee, yes :P
Redundant spoiler
Spoiler:
redundakitty.png

thenardiers.jpg

Hooray! (also, stellar manip, yappo!)1

Whizbang wrote:

*Shrugs*

Like I said, I am no expert, or even a novice. Looking at your list of frames, though, mscha, I can clearly see it enter the picture and move mostly in conjunction with the Milky Way, shifting away somewhat from its start relative to the Milky Way. So, to me, that means it is seperate than the Milky Way, and somewhere between the Milky Way and Earth.

Would painting the moon black really reduce it's glow? I'd imagine paint, of any color, would increase its reflectivity. Covering it with a dark powder/sand of some sort, though...

The moon is in fact quite dark - its albedo (the measure of the amount of reflected light) is about the same as coal. So painting it black might not change things very much.

Something interesting is that even though the sun set over two hours ago in-comic, the horizon is still brighter. Could this be light pollution? Might there be a far-off futuristic city back there?

1 As in - an awefulsome manip. Not as in a manip of the stars. Normally this would be obvious but it's somewhat ambiguous with the current state of the OTC.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:So we've to reiterate Occam's razor - we may have applied too few assumptions.

Wanna have some more?

[list]

[*] Cueball and Megan are in a parallel universe in which 9/11 never happened (but maybe an 11/9mir) and Baobabs are growing everywhere in year 13000+

You mean like in Mirage?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:
... *sing along* Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down...
(...)

I see what you did there.... Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

How big does the sun look and how does the night sky look from Venus? This could be after we terraform Venus (not taking much care to keep ecosystems separate; or maybe we've already mustarded that all up anyway if we think Venus looks like a good place to move to) and move there. Of course, it might be difficult to see Venus in the sky from there, but that's nothing a well-placed mirror can't fix.

I forgot to say, I loved BlitzGirl's 'The Sun' comic OTTification. I don't know the original Les Mis songs so I can't really comment on their ottifications yet.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
edfel wrote:<snip>

Shift your circle/oval down and to the left. The line of your oval bisects the area in question.

Indeed, that should be better:
sag-milkyway.jpg

Forget what I said about two stars being in the disk, that was the wrong disk....

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:

Ronald

rvloon, you forgot the responses!
<insert name here>: Wow.

And will you, yappobiscuits, take <insert name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?
YappoB: Neat.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:rvloon, you forgot the responses!

And will you, yappobiscuits, take <insert name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?

What, no 'Yeah.'?
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hunted down some firstposts ...

Thank you BlitzGirl! Welcome to CFS and rjs! Glad you are with us in word now as well as spirit!

ETA: @kenmelken "One Pix More" - EPIC! *cheers*
ETA2: And all the MYQM ceremony writers (rvloon, jjjdavidson, fhorn, Angelastic) and of course its inspiration yappobiscuits - bravo! Perhaps there could be an actual ceremony at the XKCD meetup... at least sometime in the next 13000 years.
Last edited by Marsh'n on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

What, no 'Yeah.'?

Perhaps something more like:
Will you, person A (etc etc)?
Person A: Yeah.
Person B: Wow.

And will you, person B (etc etc)?
Person B: Yeah.
Person A: Neat.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

What, no 'Yeah.'?

Perhaps something more like:
Will you, person A (etc etc)?
Person A: Yeah.
Person B: Wow.

And will you, person B (etc etc)?
Person B: Yeah.
Person A: Neat.

Well, it IS your ceremony, YappoB, you can word it however you like!

ed b/c misplaced commentary
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Bonus animation: here's just the frames since the arrival of Venus, enhanced with gamma 3:
Spoiler:

Great animation. We can clearly see the rotation of the stars; note how the angle of Venus is shallowing out as it gets nearer to setting, and how much more shallow the angles of the stars setting farther right are.

Because we're seeing this on a flat plane, and therefore inevitably somewhat distorted, it probably would be too hard to extrapolate the rotation to determine whether Polaris is still the north star or if the earth's axis has precessed.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:So we've to reiterate Occam's razor - we may have applied too few assumptions.

Wanna have some more?

[list]

[*] Cueball and Megan are in a parallel universe in which 9/11 never happened (but maybe an 11/9mir) and Baobabs are growing everywhere in year 13000+

You mean like in Mirage?

You seem not to be a footnote person, don't you. :D
(I'm still voting in favour of S.G.&E. - as you might suspect already since a great deal of newpages)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”