1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mikro2nd

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Celestial Sphere (Starry Starry Night)

Starry, starry night
Tumbling in a crystal sky
Spoiler:
Ghostly river drifting by
As constellations wheel into the west
Watching Megan rest
Wondering where their path will lead
Fretting on tomorrow's need
To find a friend beyond this empty land

Now I understand
Why you turn from every star
The mystery's not the sea, it's who you are
So tell me why you walked so far
You cannot see me, my Time's in your past
I wonder, did it last?

Starry, starry night
Black of night on mountains green
Predators a-prowl unseen
And only sticks and stones to keep you whole
Asking in your soul
How far will you need to go
To learn what you already know
To touch the future, simply touch her hand

Now I understand
The mystery's not the sky, it's who you are
You cannot see me, my Time's in your past
I wonder, did it last?

For I've waited for you
Thinking your quest was true
Then while the sun was out of sight on that starry starry night
We saw the truth, as Waiters sometimes do
But I could have told you, Randall
Our Time was never meant for us to wait until it's through

Starry, starry night
Watch the restless planets set
Trailing veils of faint regret
For castles left behind upon the beach
Reasons out of reach
Farther than the stars above
All that we can grasp is love
To light the night behind us as we go

Now I think I know
The mystery's not the world, it's who you are
And you can see me, though I don't know how
Perhaps there's only... now?

Utterly beautiful and haunting. Thank you.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Montov wrote:So, we're in the middle of the night then? It means a couple of decapix until morning.

We're 74 frames (excluding meteor) after sunset. Assuming 5 minutes per frame, that's just over 6 hours.
Since it's supposedly early autumn, the night will be longer than 12 hours, so we're probably slightly under halfway.

(Could some astronomery type perhaps shine some (star)light on this, based on the total movement of the stars since sunset?)

I've got slow neuronal connections this morning [and in general also...], so this might be a mis-computation, but with Stellarium I predict the sunrise in ~110minutesInside which would be more or less 20 np (each np spans more than 5minutesinside) .

edit: about autumn: no, the sun is definitely above the celestial equator, so the night is shorter than 12 hours (10 according to stellarium)
re-edit: forget my computation above: 10h=~120-140 frames, minus 74 = 46 - 66 np. I must have mis-read the stars the first time.
re-re-edit
MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Night will be about 12 hours 40 minutes long, so at 5 minutes per frame, the night should be 152 frames long. If we are currently 75 frames in, then there should be 77 frames left. almost exactly half way!
day length calculator,I selected a location between 39 and 40 degrees north, and set the date to 9th October, which is the precession adjusted date I calculated a few posts back.

Okay, forget all I said above, trust Matt instead.
Last edited by edfel on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 am UTC

MattTheTubaGuy wrote:Night will be about 12 hours 40 minutes long, so at 5 minutes per frame, the night should be 152 frames long. If we are currently 75 frames in, then there should be 77 frames left. almost exactly half way!
day length calculator,I selected a location between 39 and 40 degrees north, and set the date to 9th October, which is the precession adjusted date I calculated a few posts back.

Thanks!
And can you (or someone else) also confirm that 5 minutes per frame is still accurate? (I.e., did the sky earth indeed turn about 75 × 360/(24×12) = 93.75 degrees?)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

sidd

Postby sidd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Odd. The way I see it, we are 11,000 years into the future, and precession has brought the earth's axial tilt almost ~180°. The solstices have swapped, and in April 10th will have a shorter night-time.

From what I can tell in Stellarium we are well over half way through night time. Closer to 3/4. Jupter-set was almost exactly 8 hours after sun-set, and we have about 2.5 hours until the sun begins to peek up behind us, or about 3 hours until it is completely above the horizon.

I haven't tried to calculate it exactly, but I think dawn is about 15-20 newpix away.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:53 am UTC

SBN wrote:Aubronwood seems to have the meteor frames now, but no adjustment for timing, so it is calling the current frame the start of day 98.

...and Geekwagon seems to have missed the meteor completely :(
One world, one soul

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 am UTC

How do we know, in light of the meteor episode, that there haven't been multiple frames lost when the bots weren't looking that GLR might have put in to keep us on our collective toes? How are we sure that we won't miss many more in the time to come? :?:
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

robbak

Re: 1190: "Time": Wherefore the sattelites?

Postby robbak » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Go outside in the evening and allow your eyes to fully adjust, and you will see satellites. There will be a visible satellite in the sky at any time between full sunset and maybe 9:00, and from about 3:00 until first light. Even thousands of years in the future, many of those satellites will still be orbiting. No longer functioning, of course, but still up there, and still visible.

At the very least, the lack of satellites in the early evening pictures is further evidence of the very-far-future, post-apocalypse theory.

robbak

Postby robbak » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:How do we know, in light of the meteor episode, that there haven't been multiple frames lost when the bots weren't looking that GLR might have put in to keep us on our collective toes? How are we sure that we won't miss many more in the time to come? :?:

There were a number of people who had the OTC open in a window, and they would have received all images. These were recovered from their browser's caches. We are confident that we have them all.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

FIRSTLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:For Cueball in his night vigil.

Based on Viva la Vida by Coldplay. Lyrics

Viva la Vida

Spoiler:
I used to travel Time
Seas did rise and I saw the tide
Now in the nix I sit alone
Watching skies all on my own

We used to build so free
Didn't know about the sea
Listen as the ocean cried,
"Now look out and see, the rising tide!"

One minute I held the rope
Then nearly lost all shred of hope
Because we realized our castle stood
Upon the rising sea and platforms of wood

I see the sea and I see it rising
    River small, ocean big, blood surprising
    Be my faith and my strength, I need you
    Can't lose faith in us, carry me through

For some reason I can't explain
    Once we left it was never
    Never ever so sublime
    And that was when I traveled Time
It was the wicked and wild attack
We wondered should we just turn back
Nearly shattered us, but still we knew
We would just have to find our way back through

Another maybe lies in wait
For our heads on a silver plate
Just another sad and lonely night
Just us and the rising tide

I know you won't ever call my name
    Never so sublime
    But that was when I traveled Time

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

I know you won't ever call my name
    But it's so sublime
    But that was when I traveled Time

ETA: This was a blindpost and a sudden inspiration.

Love it! I don't always read filks posted here (especially when I have this huge of a ketchup to do), but as a Coldplay fan I had to sing this along in my head. Thank you!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:How do we know, in light of the meteor episode, that there haven't been multiple frames lost when the bots weren't looking that GLR might have put in to keep us on our collective toes? How are we sure that we won't miss many more in the time to come? :?:

We don't know for sure, but all indications are that we have 'em all. Several people had the same five frames (including KarMann, who uses the Javascript-functionality to download the frames), and nobody reported any other ones. There are no reports of extra frames at other Times, and there almost certainly would have been. (Newpixbot would at least have caught the last one.)
One caveat: the streaming URL that the Javascript uses, has a seemingly random delay of apparently 5-15 seconds, while the meteor frames were only 10-20 seconds apart. That might mean that frames would be skipped. (But almost certainly, any frame would have been reported by someone at least.)

I'm now logging the output of that streaming URL as well (but not (yet) using it for newpixbot), which decreases the chance that we'll miss any such event in the future. (But I don't expect there will be any.)

ETA:
Pikrass wrote:I don't always read filks posted here

Bad Pikrass! No cake for you!
(Just kidding ... although my feelings as an ottifier are hurt somewhat. Happy 100th!
Spoiler:
)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
SBN wrote:

A note on the "papal decrees," if those are still around (I sure hope not):
Please note that the following is the product of a quite irascible HAL, and I don't mean to single out the users whose posts are quoted above. This just happened to be the final straw on this matter.
Spoiler:
blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

Thank you for your time, and if I have offended anyone personally, we can deal with it via PM (better than derailing the thread). Back to the past I go.

Oh dear, and you were doing so well.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

sidd

Postby sidd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And can you (or someone else) also confirm that 5 minutes per frame is still accurate? (I.e., did the sky earth indeed turn about 75 × 360/(24×12) = 93.75 degrees?)

~6m45s newpix is my estimate. I used the distance between θ Piscium and 7 Piscium as yardstick for a single frame, and these two stars are just under 7 minutes apart regardless of millennium.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

675 pages left.... :shock: :|
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Redundant Spoiler
Spoiler:
I may have nothing to hide, but I still do not like the three-letter agencies to read my very private letters, to forward my business plan to interested parties, to suspect me of anything just because I'm courious and inquiring.
By now, "Redundant Spoiler" is just an euphemism for "CLICK ME, YOU MIGHT MISS SOMETHING!".

Karmann wrote:In general, I think mscha's NewPixBot is better than my script, but in this particular case, it does look like my script was much better. Obviously, the best thing of all is to keep them both running, and between the two of us (and Aubronwood & Geekwagon) we should be able to catch just about anything Great Lord Randall throws at us.*

* No, GLR, that wasn't a challenge! Please, no!

Maybe we are doing it wrong, anyway. With all this html5/websocket/javascipt, thingies there should be the possibility to write a firefox plugin which dumps everything coming from *.xkcd.com to hard disk. GLR, after all, already provided a perfect way for us to not miss a frame.

Karmann wrote:Added: And dagnabbit, not a comet!!

... and of course: "I called it!". But this prediction was an easy one, anyway.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Exodies

Re: Don't you hate trying to get the last bit of ketchup?

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:@BlitzGirl Does that thong emoticon really say "it"10 on it? Yay!

Yes. :D (I had to shorten "Wait for it.") Image

Oh. I thought you had shortened "it won't lick itself".
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

EXTONGUISHES...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

sidd wrote:

Odd. The way I see it, we are 11,000 years into the future, and precession has brought the earth's axial tilt almost ~180°. The solstices have swapped, and in April 10th will have a shorter night-time.

From what I can tell in Stellarium we are well over half way through night time. Closer to 3/4. Jupter-set was almost exactly 8 hours after sun-set, and we have about 2.5 hours until the sun begins to peek up behind us, or about 3 hours until it is completely above the horizon.

I haven't tried to calculate it exactly, but I think dawn is about 15-20 newpix away.

I agree with this. To rephrase the sidd's first paragraph, the calendar date might work out to October, but the season is spring. That's one of the things precession does, is cause the seasons to shift around the calendar. So the night will be shorter than 12h.

Cueball knows he stayed up more than half the night, to give Megan more rest.

I expect there will be some detectable lightening by the time I coma tonight (15 newpix from now). Using the longer of the estimates of time per frame, it could start in as soon as 5-8 newpix (as per my prediction two days ago). A moonrise out of view at any time could also cause some lightening (in fact I'm a bit surprised that hasn't happened already), so we won't know it's dawn for sure until the brighter stars start to fade.

PS Several days straight of posting about stars, then I coma through the Newpage of Stars. Sorry BlitzGirl!

Great recent filks by buffygirl, Angelastic. BlitzGirl, BytEfLUSh, and Angelastic (again)! Although that last one makes me think of a rap version: "****ing meteors, how do they work?"

PPS Last ONG, Megan is drinking some water. Cueball will ask how she's feeling before he tries to sleep. Who wouldn't?

PPPS
Cueball: Are you okay?
Megan: Yep.
Cueball: Neat.
Megan: I had the strangest dream. People were watching us and making up all kinds of stories and songs about what you were thinking.
Cueball: I was thinking about trebuchet design. I think I know a way to improve the range by twelve percent.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
SBN wrote:Aubronwood seems to have the meteor frames now, but no adjustment for timing, so it is calling the current frame the start of day 98.

Huh? Do you have something different from what I see in frame 2441? It's missing the other four, but caught at least that one. Does one of us need to refresh the browser cache?
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

We don't know for sure, but all indications are that we have 'em all. Several people had the same five frames (including KarMann, who uses the Javascript-functionality to download the frames), and nobody reported any other ones. There are no reports of extra frames at other Times, and there almost certainly would have been. (Newpixbot would at least have caught the last one.)

As I've pointed out some time ago, I deliberately put an offset of 2 minutes into my script to check the images on slightly other times than NPB does. This increases the chances that we would have caught something. In the light of the meteoric event I've checked my database against mscha's and did not find any inconsistencies (apart from a frame my script missed in the early days, but that's not really problematic).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

QUIET ONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Rule110

Re: Don't you hate trying to get the last bit of ketchup?

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:@BlitzGirl Does that thong emoticon really say "it"10 on it? Yay!

Yes. :D (I had to shorten "Wait for it.") Image

Oh. I thought you had shortened "it won't lick itself".

How about a bra version? You'd only need to add a t.
Time after Time...

sford

Postby sford » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

When Cueball wanted to wake up Megan, he should have spoken her name. (Assuming they have names that far in the future.)

To me, that feels like one of the more artificial instances of their conversation. I don't go around saying the name of the person I'm with, but when I want to get their attention, I do.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Ximenez wrote:Up to now the consensus is that Time frames depict a 2 1/2 D universe, or a 1/3 q slice of a 3D universe. If this is so, then the sun is just a few cm cq behind the tree and is really small. Same for the "sky", which I bet is made of some sort of mustard.
Well, the sun is made of light. The light travels, physically, to the Time Slice, therefore it is present. A bush or mountain in the background stays where it is, therefore it does not get to be part of this slice.

Part of my basis for this theory is that the background is white, and white is light. So it has been true the whole time.
Everything we see is light. Everything we see is "made of light" (reflected or not). If light gets trapped in the Time Slice, and this trapped light is what we see, then we should see everything that's behind it, regardless of what it's "made of".

I prefer the video game explanation given some NP before, even if it is arbitrary (like every representation is). (Although I loved that "the sun is made of light" thing.)

ETA:
sford wrote:When Cueball wanted to wake up Megan, he should have spoken her name. (Assuming they have names that far in the future.)

To me, that feels like one of the more artificial instances of their conversation. I don't go around saying the name of the person I'm with, but when I want to get their attention, I do.
Megan did the same in NP 2215.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

It's lonely back here. Are you all still alive and kicking in the future? Okay.

*sigh*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:

Huh? Do you have something different from what I see in frame 2441? It's missing the other four, but caught at least that one. Does one of us need to refresh the browser cache?

Yes, you're dead right. I must have just missed it - thanks for the catch (Probably my Hayfever meds causing interference). Pity it doesn't have the other meteor frames, though.
Last edited by mikro2nd on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I agree with this. To rephrase the sidd's first paragraph, the calendar date might work out to October, but the season is spring. That's one of the things precession does, is cause the seasons to shift around the calendar. So the night will be shorter than 12h.

Nothing can be said about what calendar Cuegan uses, but Stellarium is using the Gregorian calendar. The aim of Lilius, Clavius, and Pope Gregory XIII was to put the vernal equinox onto March 21 and keep it there. Even after 11000 years it will be accurate enough that the date of the vernal equinox is within a couple of days of March 21. So what Stellarium is telling us by using our current calendar is that Cuegan are in early spring, and the night will be less than half a day.

This is, of course, assuming that the moon is still there, for if not, then the rate of precession will be greatly reduced, and also the leap seconds. But if the moon is still there then 13291-04-10 is around full moon, so the moon has been up all night, and that would explain why it has never been totally dark.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:I am disappointed that the meteor's path was curved, as that just doesn't happen in real life.
It could be evidence of the projection used for the comic... i.e. the lens focal length. Ninja'd by ZoomanSP.

@BlitzGirl: Nice keyboard! I wonder what it's thinking as it gazes at Star Bright.

sidd wrote:Odd. The way I see it, we are 11,000 years into the future, and precession has brought the earth's axial tilt almost ~180°. The solstices have swapped, and in April 10th will have a shorter night-time.
Has anybody calculated the rotational pole from the movement and compared it with an extension of the star field to see where Polaris is with respect to that pole? That will fix the phase of precession we are in, and confirm the date.

SBN wrote:Aubronwood seems to have the meteor frames now, but no adjustment for timing,
... which aesthetically works well for me, allowing us to experience the meteor in more-or-less real time.
SBN wrote:so it is calling the current frame the start of day 98.
... which does need adjustment.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

still hurtONG?
ETA

The Lament of Newpixbot

Now I stay me up to ONG
Sit and smoke electric bONG
Madly sing OTTific sONG
How I hate the night

(with apologies to Marvin the Paranoid Android.)

ETA2: (
Last edited by mikro2nd on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:23 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
One world, one soul

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Do the stars move slower when there's dialogue?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

sla29970 wrote:This is, of course, assuming that the moon is still there, for if not, then the rate of precession will be greatly reduced, and also the leap seconds. But if the moon is still there then 13291-04-10 is around full moon, so the moon has been up all night, and that would explain why it has never been totally dark.

Although the viewing angle looks as if the moon may never enter the frame, I think the sky is brightening on the left side in a way that may indicate that it does exist and is in the right place for the Stellarium date.

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
BigDaddy wrote:Per decree: favorite song about a star is Why Does the Sun Shine? by They Might Be Giants. Was gonna filk if I ever got time. Between work and baby not much left. Should coma.

You mean 'Why Does The Sun Shine?' by Tom Glazer and Dottie Evans (from the album 'Space Songs'), as covered by They Might Be Giants? Hmm, I can't find the page which has all their albums ripped from vinyl; I guess it was a violation of copyright after all. They can be found around the place though.

Hmm, actually, the next song on that album, 'What Is A Shooting Star?' might be more appropriate for this thread.

Oh, alright.

What Is A Shooting Star by Tom Glazer and Dottie Evans:
Cueball:
A shooting star, how does it work? I don't know much at all
I wonder if it hits the sea and makes the water fall.
A shooting star, how does it work? How does it shine so bright?
It might be just the sun that's lost and wand'ring through the night.

A wand'ring sun or water fall, it's still too swiftly-paced,
The minute it is gone it seems like such a beautiful waste

(Repeat as a round with Megan)

Oh I didn't know that. Looks like I have more geek music for the little one.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Do the stars move slower when there's dialogue?

Judging by Book of Aubron, no. Which means they're taking a really long time for small talk.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

)) (see the 3rd present present to understand why I did this)
mscha wrote:
Pikrass wrote:I don't always read filks posted here

Bad Pikrass! No cake for you!
(Just kidding ... although my feelings as an ottifier are hurt somewhat. Happy 100th!
Spoiler:
)

Well, I really wanted to read them all™, but for me it involves singing them along in my head, and there's no way I could have ketchupped quickly if I did. I was 60 newpages behind and really wanted to get to the present while reading most of what I missed.
I'll probably check the wiki page about filks later tough.
Thans for the cake anyway! :P

But I'm all caught up now, and to celebrate I have three mini-Present Presents for you! :D

First Present Present

A link I discovered some time ago, hosted by xkcd, displaying a random image with a random caption each day. I discovered it while looking for Randall's messages on the fora. I quite like today's image.

Second Present Present

My very first song ottification!
I'm not much of an artist and can't come up with lyrics as good as yours, and I probably need four times the time you spend on them, but I really wanted this song to be ottified. You probably know it if you've watched Lost, or if you're French.

To fit well with the original song, my lyrics are in French too. At least, as there aren't many French speakers here, few will notice my lack of poetic sense. :oops:

Charles Trenet - La Mer (original)
Spoiler:
La mer
Qu'on voit monter
Au large, de cette rivière
Détruit notre château
La mer
Et donne son chapeau
Au molpy...

La mer
Saveur café
Reflète ces étoiles d'or
Et puis les météors
La mer
Qu'on attend depuis
L'infini...

Voyez
Sur la montagne
Ces hauts arbres d'été
Voyez
Ces raptors chats
Et ces abris rouillés

La mer
Les a bercés
Le long de l'OTT
Et d'une chanson d'amour
La mer
A bercé nos coeurs
Pour la vie

Translation in English (lacks the rhymes and have some lines with off syllables count, but I think it can be sunged anyway)
Spoiler:
The sea
We see rising
Offshore, by this river
Destroys our castle
The sea
And puts its hat
On the molpy...

The sea
Coffee flavoured
Reflects these golden stars
And then the meteors
The sea
That we're waiting since
Infinity...

See
On the mountain
These tall summer trees
See
These raptor cats
And these rusty shelters

The sea
Lulled them
Along the OTT
And with a love song
The sea
Lulled our hearts
For a lifetime

Third Present Present

There have been some concern in the Past about unclosed parenthesis. I decided to write a script to measure how much of the OTT have been harmed by these incidents.
I'm not taking into account the most common smilies, so a ":(" isn't an unclosed paren. I'm not taking into account quotes and code blocks either.

Since the beginning of the OTT and up to the 38974th message (TheMinim's first message in this NP), 63.63% of the OTT have been enclosed in parenthesis. That is, 5999294 out of 9428341 characters have been put inside parenthesis so far.
Before my message, two parens were left unclosed.

And finally, here's a map of enclosed messages. Each 4x4 square represent 4 messages, starting from the top left corner. The darker the red is, the more enclosed are the messages. There have been two messages enclosed in 49 nested parens! Surely these must feel sad...
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler, with no kitten
Spoiler:
parenGraph.png
parenGraph.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 15069 times
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Zorin_75

Re: Under the Same Stars

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:More fanart - turned out a bit darker than anticipated, hope y'all can see it...

Aww, Lucky... Like the dark look.
Wonder what's going through her head. Must be desperate times if you need to try to eat stick people...

higgs-boson wrote:By now, "Redundant Spoiler" is just an euphemism for "CLICK ME, YOU MIGHT MISS SOMETHING!".

I must admit I've started to become really disappointed if I don't find a redundakitten under there...
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

sidd

Postby sidd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Has anybody calculated the rotational pole from the movement and compared it with an extension of the star field to see where Polaris is with respect to that pole? That will fix the phase of precession we are in, and confirm the date.

I've done this on paper with a compass. I ended up with the celestial north pole near Vega, which is consistent with the "year 13000" theory according to the image below (Polaris is at the top, at year 2000, Vega is at 14000). It also gives some assurance that the axial tilt is not an error, since the pole appears in a "valid" location:
Spoiler:

This fellow has some suggestions for doing it precisely, but I wasn't able to make much headway with the software. My pen and paper technique was only accurate to about 1k years.
Last edited by sidd on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Do the stars move slower when there's dialogue?

Nope, looks the same to me.

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

sla29970 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:I agree with this. To rephrase the sidd's first paragraph, the calendar date might work out to October, but the season is spring. That's one of the things precession does, is cause the seasons to shift around the calendar. So the night will be shorter than 12h.

Nothing can be said about what calendar Cuegan uses, but Stellarium is using the Gregorian calendar. The aim of Lilius, Clavius, and Pope Gregory XIII was to put the vernal equinox onto March 21 and keep it there. Even after 11000 years it will be accurate enough that the date of the vernal equinox is within a couple of days of March 21. So what Stellarium is telling us by using our current calendar is that Cuegan are in early spring, and the night will be less than half a day.

Ah, so there is actually one more (or fewer, I haven't checked the relative directions) leap day per 71.2 years than would otherwise be necessary without precession? Neat. I had completely missed that.

And I agree that the sun position relative to the celestial equator is showing spring, and that the night will be shorter. So, where did the October date that others are citing come from?

This is, of course, assuming that the moon is still there, for if not, then the rate of precession will be greatly reduced, and also the leap seconds. But if the moon is still there then 13291-04-10 is around full moon, so the moon has been up all night, and that would explain why it has never been totally dark.

There's no ring system up there, so unless someone made off with it completely (or it's a different planet, etc.) it should be there somewhere. A full moon would be consistent with the moon not having appeared yet in the frame, and why there's been no moonrise brightening.

However, if it's a full moon, I'll have to curse the darkness, so to speak. It shouldn't look so dark if there's a full moon. In the open, in clear weather, with adapted eyes unaffected by any brighter artificial light sources, a full moon around midnight throws enough light to cast easily visible shadows, see one's footing well enough to walk, read a book, and even see the surrounding landscape.

This could be an art issue. The best way to show bright clear-sky moonlight in the OTC's silhouette style would probably be to reverse the contrast, making the ground, trees, and stick figures lighter than the sky, and Randall might not have wanted to do that. Just making the sky less dark, as in the gamma-adjusted images we've been posting (but reducing instead of increasing the contrast of the stars), would kind of show it but wouldn't really look like moonlight.

There could also be an art issue for showing the moon at all. In a scene composed and framed this way, such as in movies, we're used to seeing the moon disk in exaggerated telephoto size. That also reflects how we subjectively experience seeing the moon at night. But given that the size of the constellations shows that we're actually seeing a rather wide angle shot, if drawn with astronomical accuracy the moon will look like a comically tiny dot, smaller than Cueball's head. And with Randall aware that we're here putting our calipers on everything, I won't be too surprised if he just throws up his hands and leaves it out.
Time after Time...

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Prediction: With Megan on the watch now, things are going to start happening.

I have been enjoying the quiet night, though. Time for speculation, calculation, OTTification.

Oh yeah.... As for star quotes, one I've always liked comes from the Chronicles of Narnia:
C. S. Lewis wrote:
“In our world," said Eustace, "a star is a huge ball of flaming gas."

"Even in your world, my son, that is not what a star is, but only what it is made of.”
Last edited by IceIsNice on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! Probably.

mikro2nd

Re: 1190: "Time": Wherefore the sattelites?

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

robbak wrote:At the very least, the lack of satellites in the early evening pictures is further evidence of the very-far-future, post-apocalypse theory.

Couldn't it just be that satellitesΩ pass overhead so quickly that they qualify as "between frames"?

Ω or, as my kids called them when they (the kids!) were little, "scatterlites". Which I though oddly appropriate...
Last edited by mikro2nd on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”