1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

The Knighting of taixzo

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 am UTC

I'm leaning toward 11,000. Just to be safe.
Oh, and I think the night sky is a bit lighter. The gradient shifted on my browser between newpix.

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:"They" must be the nightchirpies we can't see. Image

jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:P.S.: This reminds me that I always wanted to become a Knight Temporal. Who do I have to bribe ask for an appointment these dix?

I think you can only get appointed to be a Knight Temporal by your future self who already is a Knight Temporal. Thus proving your worthiness and skillful use of Time.

Well, c─p. I've been meaning to ask BlitzGirl if, as the first Knight Temporal, she'd consider knighting me, if she thinks a lowly clerk is worthy of such an honor. Now what?

Oh, missed this the first time round (distracted by mome-doings). The custom of self-knighting is actually outdated, a relic from the pix before my blitz ended. The practice was ceased because of worries it could be exploited. I'm pretty sure the current custom is that any Knight Temporal can knight others, though nobody has actually asked to be knighted on a newpage since the mid-500s. I was the one to knight mathrec and Angelastic, and I think that StratPlayer did a knighting for someone at one point, too.

So, if any of y'all want to be Knights Temporal, just let me or one of the other Knights know. :)

Oh! Could I be Knighted?

Certainly!

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, taixzo, BlitzGirl the Next and Fast, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of awefulsome prognostication, speedy yet accurate blitzing, and promotion of flameless OTTery. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm leaning toward 11,000. Just to be safe.

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:"They" must be the nightchirpies we can't see. Image

jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:P.S.: This reminds me that I always wanted to become a Knight Temporal. Who do I have to bribe ask for an appointment these dix?

I think you can only get appointed to be a Knight Temporal by your future self who already is a Knight Temporal. Thus proving your worthiness and skillful use of Time.

Well, c─p. I've been meaning to ask BlitzGirl if, as the first Knight Temporal, she'd consider knighting me, if she thinks a lowly clerk is worthy of such an honor. Now what?

Oh, missed this the first time round (distracted by mome-doings). The custom of self-knighting is actually outdated, a relic from the pix before my blitz ended. The practice was ceased because of worries it could be exploited. I'm pretty sure the current custom is that any Knight Temporal can knight others, though nobody has actually asked to be knighted on a newpage since the mid-500s. I was the one to knight mathrec and Angelastic, and I think that StratPlayer did a knighting for someone at one point, too.

So, if any of y'all want to be Knights Temporal, just let me or one of the other Knights know. :)

Oh! Could I be Knighted?

Certainly!

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, taixzo, BlitzGirl the Next and Fast, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of awefulsome prognostication, speedy yet accurate blitzing, and promotion of flameless OTTery. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

Oh, all right, if you insist.

I humbly beseech thee, O Sir/Dame Blitzgirl, to Knight my somewhat unworthy self, by the power granted to you by some watery tart who threw a sword at you, yadda yadda

Please? :P

ETA: Shoot. Can a pope be knighted? Decree for this page: someone find out if a pope can be knighted. That's all.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 am UTC

@BlitzGirl: Those were adorable keyboards all over Cueball! I think Cueball was even smiling.
@Eternal Density, re Redundakitties: I see what you did there! d'awww! Happy 1100!

ZoomanSP wrote:Très chouette !
I first read that as "Très chocolate !" I think I like that.

edo wrote: I call they start walking in the early dawn light
Nah. They need their rest. I call Megan lets Cueball sleep in.

ggh wrote:If it makes anyone feel any better, I have to hit the quote button to read anything under size 70 - and y'all do that all the time.
On most modern broswers, control-plus makes the text size bigger. control-minus makes it smaller, and control-zero makes it default size. Sometimes if you go too far, you can lose your place, so I select some text first, and then if I lose my place, shift-arrow brings me back (it "continues selecting")

BlitzGirl wrote:Edit: Randamn it! WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!
Maybe it has something to do with:
BlitzGirl

[quick and dirty math]Presently averaging over a post per newpage, each post having a 1/40 chance of being Pope material, and almost a thousand newpages, you should be Pope (or Mome) thirty times by now.[/quick and dirty math]

But this one is interesting. 1300th post at the top of page 980 at the top of the month halfway through the year (July 1).

Hmmm. The chirps are aligning. Happy 1300!

taixzo wrote:Also, why are there so many posts? It's a Sunday! I expected to be able to relax like last wipend, not to have to ketchup every few hours if I forgot to check the OTT!
For a BlitzGirl the Fast to say that, that's quite impressive!

ChronosDragon wrote:Actually, while I was raised on MM/DD/YYYY, I've recently adopted YYYY/MM/DD pretty effortlessly, and I don't think anyone has had any problems understanding what I mean since it isn't much of a stretch from either of the other standards.
YYYY/MM/DD is pretty self-evident from the four-digit year, and the fact that YYYY/DD/MM has never been widely used. However, MM/DD makes perfect sense, as does MM/DD of YYYY, whence MM/DD/YYYY is likely. Mustard comes from the collision of two perfectly good standards. (how many versions of big-endian and little-endian are there now that we are past 16 bit words?) And what are hot dogs without mustard?

k.bookbinder wrote:Too be honest, I sometimes feel guilty that I do not contribute more. But alas, I feel I've neither the...
You contribute plenty; more than you are aware of! Think of it as coming to a potluck for a thousand. You don't have to feed a thousand; that would be absurd. You bring enough of one course for six, and it looks like not much, but a thousand people are doing the same thing and there is such a feast that you end up taking food home after being stuffed. "What, nobody liked my whatever?" Not the case - everyone is taking some of their food home, just because there is so chirpy much!

I have seen and enjoyed many of your posts, and wish I myself could contribute more. But remember BlitzGirl's wisdom (It should probably be a prayer or something). Your contribution is much more than you think.

Jose
edit: name mustard
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Actually, while I was raised on MM/DD/YYYY, I've recently adopted YYYY/MM/DD pretty effortlessly, and I don't think anyone has had any problems understanding what I mean since it isn't much of a stretch from either of the other standards.
YYYY/MM/DD is pretty self-evident from the four-digit year, and the fact that YYYY/DD/MM has never been widely used. However, MM/DD makes perfect sense, as does MM/DD of YYYY, whence MM/DD/YYYY is likely. Mustard comes from the collision of two perfectly good standards. (how many versions of big-endian and little-endian are there now that we are past 16 bit words?) And what are hot dogs without mustard?

k.bookbinder wrote:Too be honest, I sometimes feel guilty that I do not contribute more. But alas, I feel I've neither the...
You contribute plenty; more than you are aware of! Think of it as coming to a potluck for a thousand. You don't have to feed a thousand; that would be absurd. You bring enough of one course for six, and it looks like not much, but a thousand people are doing the same thing and there is such a feast that you end up taking food home after being stuffed. "What, nobody liked my whatever?" Not the case - everyone is taking some of their food home, just because there is so chirpy much!

I have seen and enjoyed many of your posts, and wish I myself could contribute more. But remember BlitzGirl's wisdom (It should probably be a prayer or something). Your contribution is much more than you think.

Jose

Well, the collision of standards is becoming more and more problematic as the internet brings people across the pond from each other closer and closer together. Also, computers are bad at context, so parsing the dates is a bit of a problem! Which leads to things like expressing dates as the number of seconds since 1970. "Hey, what's today's date?" "Oh, it's 1372659960." "Thanks, man!"
Which, programatically, is actually pretty smart since it can easily be converted to everything else. I'm just pointing out that date standards can be a bit silly. *nods at Newpix*

Also, I love the analogy of the potluck. Maybe an alternate name for the OTT should be the OTP (One True Potluck) :P

BlitzGirl

The Knighting of ChronosDragon

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Potluck? Yum. Except our potluck is mostly cake. But there's nothing wrong with that! :D

ChronosDragon wrote:Oh, all right, if you insist.

I humbly beseech thee, O Sir/Dame Blitzgirl, to Knight my somewhat unworthy self, by the power granted to you by some watery tart who threw a sword at you, yadda yadda

ETA: Shoot. Can a pope be knighted? Decree for this page: someone find out if a pope can be knighted. That's all.

I haven't read anything that says a pope can't be knighted. :wink: So...

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, ChronosDragon, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of 3Dish replication of the Sandcastle, persistent postography over more than 900 newpages, and the invention of the Newpix-O-Meter. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Latent22

Re: The Knighting of taixzo

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm leaning toward 11,000. Just to be safe.
Oh, and I think the night sky is a bit lighter. The gradient shifted on my browser between newpix.

Yeap is a bit lighter at the bottom near the ground now. So the sun must be finally approaching!

Actually its been the last 3 frames that have had gradients changing at the bottom! Its so subtle and easy to miss.

We need an extreme gamma animated version to see it more clearly.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Yay! :D The sun'll come out...tomorrowH?...

H? I think "tomorrow" is heresy, but I'm not sure. Also not sure the sun will be up quickly enough to be here by then.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Re: On Knighthood

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So, if any of y'all want to be Knights Temporal, just let me or one of the other Knights know. :)

If Your Blitzyness believes a lowly bard to be worthy of such an honour, I would love to be made a knight so I can join in when you all sing....
Spoiler:
We're Knights of the One True Thread
To follow Time we are bred
We filk great songs and post the ONGs
And wait until we drop dead
We dine well in the Thread of Time
We eat bread and spread instead of lime

Our posts never go unread
They're full of wit we must admit
And never are we misled
We're waiting mad in Thread of Time
You see our rhymes are quite sublime

The river it is quite small
The sea it is not at all
That is our cry, we shout it high
And impersonate Meg and Cueball
It's a busy life in Thread of Time

But I'm not all that good at mime...

On second thoughts, let's not go to the OTT. It's a silly place.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 am UTC

TRIANGULUMONG

BlitzGirl

The Knighting of yappobiscuits

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:04 am UTC

It's getting lighter by the newpix! Image

yappobiscuits wrote:If Your Blitzyness believes a lowly bard to be worthy of such an honour, I would love to be made a knight so I can join in when you all sing....
Spoiler:
To follow Time we are bred
We filk great songs and post the ONGs
And wait until we drop dead
We dine well in the Thread of Time
We eat bread and spread instead of lime

Our posts never go unread
They're full of wit we must admit
And never are we misled
We're waiting mad in Thread of Time
You see our rhymes are quite sublime

The river it is quite small
The sea it is not at all
That is our cry, we shout it high
And impersonate Meg and Cueball
It's a busy life in Thread of Time

But I'm not all that good at mime...
On second thoughts, let's not go to the OTT. It's a silly place.

After that, how could I resist? :)

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, yappobiscuits, the English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of adorable molpy up-and-downing,
true talent at ottifying and all-around singery, and molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Woohoo! Image

rvloon

Re: DayOh for HeyOh

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
rvloon wrote:
edfel wrote:So Cuegan should be known as HeyOh ?

Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMigXnXMhQ4 this?

Ronald

Ottification needed.

OK, I hope you like it rvloon!

Excellent!

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:17 am UTC

It's nice to have more Knights Temporal about. And fitting that the knightings should happen during the Long Night of the OTC. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Potluck? Yum. Except our potluck is mostly cake. But there's nothing wrong with that! :D

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, ChronosDragon, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of 3Dish replication of the Sandcastle, persistent postography over more than 900 newpages, and the invention of the Newpix-O-Meter. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

I, Sir ChronosDragon, defender of the OTC, OTT and resident peoples, do rise and humbly accept the royal title of Knight Temporal!

What's that you say? The helmet? Oh, it's just something I picked up on my adventures. Hmm, accruing avatars already. I'll stick it in a gif soon.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Potluck? Yum. Except our potluck is mostly cake. But there's nothing wrong with that! :D

I, Sir ChronosDragon, defender of the OTC, OTT and resident peoples, do rise and humbly accept the royal title of Knight Temporal!

What's that you say? The helmet? Oh, it's just something I picked up on my adventures. Hmm, accruing avatars already. I'll stick it in a gif soon.

A dragon wearing a dragonplate helmet? Isn't that kind of macabre?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

rvloon

Re: Niclep was hot on the squirpy's trail.

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Hey, Randall violated the "No ******s on this page" decree. :evil:

I know he's all-powerful and all, and that decrees aren't actually binding on anyone. But still... what kind of moral message does that kind of behavior send to our children?

We have children??!

Why yes, I do. Together: not that I know of. Fun fact: when my 2,5 year old sees me reading the OTT, she says: molpy there, pappa, molpy!

Ronald
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

A dragon wearing a dragonplate helmet? Isn't that kind of macabre?

I...uh...scavenged the bones from the ancient dragon burial sites. They won't be missing them, anyway. Also, little known fact, the "dragon-" bit refers to ancient techniques used in the forging process known only to the Dragons of Old. Hence why the smithing tier is called "dragon," because you've unlocked the secrets of smithing known only to the dragons :P

ETA: And what about all you humans wearing human skulls as protection, eh?
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

So he went home instead, as he should have to begin with.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:32 am UTC

I'm pretty sure my future self made me a Temporal Rook but I don't remember whether I've gone back and made my past self a Temporal Rook.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:A dragon wearing a dragonplate helmet? Isn't that kind of macabre?

If it was an ENEMY dragon, it's kinda badass. Like wearing the bones of your enemies on a necklace or something ;)
(Semi-ninja'd by ChronosDragon with the skulls thing)

Anyway, now that I'm officially Sir Yappo of the Biscuits, it seems a good time to coma. Maybe when I de-coma the sun will be rising/have risen! Molpy down...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:40 am UTC

Here's my Present present. My own little otter^_^. :)

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg
Newborns are pudgy to begin with. Yeps.
OTTer.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 11159 times

^_^ Actually, I'm calling him "Squeaks" for now. hehe.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:41 am UTC

azule wrote:Here's my Present present. My own little otter^_^. :)

Congratulations!

And be warned: These little noise-bags tend to grow. ;-)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg

Congrats!
The next fewpix coma will probably be a rare commodity for you.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 am UTC

D'awww. Image

Congrats, azule! That's the best Present present of all.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay! :D The sun'll come out...tomorrowH?...

H? I think "tomorrow" is heresy, but I'm not sure. Also not sure the sun will be up quickly enough to be here by then.

The sun'll come out
In a few nexpix
Bet your bottom dollar
That in a few newpix
There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
The next newpix
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the chirpies
'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck in a dix
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh!

The sun'll come out
In a few nexpix
So ya gotta wait for
a few newpix
Come what may
Yay Newpix! Yay Newpix!
I love ya my Newpix!
You're always
A dix
A way!

(Tomorrow from Annie)

Ronald
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg

7,4! Congrats, azule!
And nice ottification, Ronald!

Glad I didn't coma just yet. Guess I might as well stick around for the ONG as well.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Image Bravo, Ronald!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 am UTC

PERSEUSONG

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Bravo, Ronald!

Thanks, y'all. It was a bit of a toss-up between this one, or 'won't you buy this wonderful morning' from Oliver. And Knight of the Woeful Countenance from Man of La Mancha also would have been possible.

Ronald
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Yeay, early morning!
Prediction:
They will wake up in 3 newpix. Then they'll spend a fewpix to eat and will walk on. They will continue to the top, but before they reach it they'll encounter a steep cliff down, one that they have to walk around. After a fewpix of trying to walk around it Queball will try to cross it. He'll slip and fall to his death. Megan will be stuck and die of gangrene in her wounds. Thus ends Time.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Oh mustard, I just became retro-Mome. Let me find the firstpost that bumped us:

LoonieSpace wrote:Hi xkcd Timers. Been following most of the discussion here and especially like the astronomical / astrophysical analysis. But curious if anyone ever ruled out the possibility that cuegan are on a distant-future terraformed Mars or Venus. Curious if the axis of rotation and other observations could fit.

Image, LoonieSpace! Interesting idea, I don't believe I've seen anyone post about that one yet.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:50 am UTC

After all, you are the Anointed One, dear.

I've heard they are printing bracelets in the U.S. reading "WWBGD".
Did not succeed in ordering one, though.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg

Gorgeous! Congrats!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am UTC

And this is just too funny to pass up:

Have a fun on todix!

Ronald

PS: Wow, 100 posts? Seems like the first one was months ago... bonus cake for those who have read them all. Double bonus cake if you *liked* them all.

PPS:
Spoiler:
Bonus image for the occasion (also for azule):

Spoiler:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 am UTC

MOONSETIMMINENT?ONG
If we're looking west, why is the horizon brightening first? Moonset should be occurring right around now, right? But it wouldn't be lighting the horizon this way.
Last edited by spamjam on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Eternal Density

Niclep's author ran out of inspiration, HELP!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 am UTC

TIME GOES ONG and I got ninja'd
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Kay, I'm in the process of ketching up, while simultaneously also doing lots more wiki work. Patzer and I have really gone to town on that thing lately, making tons of little tweaks, as well as several substantial additions. I expanded the discussion section for the period right before the attack (though I'm still not 100% satisfied with that one yet), have added a lot of pictures to various period articles, and a few other corrections. Next I want to write the discussion and mustard sections for the Attack period, and then if I can write-up Ninth Journey Period, then the entire Mountain Era will be signed, sealed, and delivered with full, thorough documentation. It has without question been my favorite Era of Time so far. There've been so many beautiful, creative, intriguing, and exciting things Randall has given us ever since taking Cuegan into the mountains. :) And I feel like I've really finally hit my stride on writing up these summaries, and I feel like each period really deserves it. The Mountain Era was an artistic and intellectual masterpiece. This Night Era is shaping up that way as well! So excited to see what comes next. Guess I'll just have to...
Spoiler:
be patient.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh mustard, I just became retro-Mome. Let me find the firstpost that bumped us:

LoonieSpace wrote:Hi xkcd Timers. Been following most of the discussion here and especially like the astronomical / astrophysical analysis. But curious if anyone ever ruled out the possibility that cuegan are on a distant-future terraformed Mars or Venus. Curious if the axis of rotation and other observations could fit.

Image, LoonieSpace! Interesting idea, I don't believe I've seen anyone post about that one yet.

The thought is not new, but, as far as I can remember, indeed not illuminated, yet. I guess the common astronomical tool box does not have the check box "include points of view located on other celestial bodies in search". And if yes: What radius (maximum distance from this heap of atmosphered dirt we love and call "earth") do you want to give?

I am, as usual, neither talented nor educated. Keeps bugging me.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am UTC

Happy 100 posts, Ronald!
Have some cake:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:37 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh mustard, I just became retro-Mome. Let me find the firstpost that bumped us:

The thought is not new, but, as far as I can remember, indeed not illuminated, yet. I guess the common astronomical tool box does not have the check box "include points of view located on other celestial bodies in search". And if yes: What radius (maximum distance from this heap of atmosphered dirt we love and call "earth") do you want to give?

I am, as usual, neither talented nor educated. Keeps bugging me.

Luckily you don't need education to make gravity work. Keep up the good work!

he/him/his

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 am UTC

Hi! Good question.
- Mercury: if it was ever possible to terraform Mercury, the tilt would be too small (1/2 degree)
- Venus: rotates backwards, so no (unless it has been terraformed and accelerated with the same rotation axis as Earth).
- Moon: a moon night lasts 14 days (let's assume that we have a few hours per newpix). They wouldn't see the earth from the hidden face of the moon. They also need to find a way to make an atmosphere stay on it. I like this option :)
- Mars: Axial tilt=25.19°. Check. Sideral rotation period=24.6h. Check. Terraformable=maybe. Check. Stars positions: can't see the difference with Earth. Check. Planets positions: there must be a night in 2000 years where two planets are in what we assume to be Venus and Jupiter positions. Check. No artificial satellite (or very few). Check. Sea, baobab, squirpies, etc. That's a loooot of work, which would take a looooong time. 10,000 years? Maybe. My favorite "non-earth" option
- An asteroid: hmmm, I know nothing of asteroids, except that it'd be far too hard to make an atmosphere stay on most of them
- Any other moon in the solar system (Europa, Titan,...) Er... not an expert either. Titan has a nice climate when you like ice creams...
- Any other planet out of the Solar system (like the ones discovered near alpha centuri)? Hmm, I'll need to check how much the star positions change... but I feel it should have been noticed (and, alpha century is a several-stars system, we already talked about it, I'm not sure if it's possible or not).
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”