1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

And that was page 1000 already. That went by fast!

Last edited by mscha on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

What?
Hello???
Anyone here?

Guess everyone is still back on NP1000.
Hope they make it across ok.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1000

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Wow, a little calmer on old 1001.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:[center]1000 Newpages!

Here's a Present Present for all you OTTers out there!

⁷, BlitzGirl, that is so ⁴some!

Everybody, congratulations on surviving the first 999 pages. Here's to the next 1001! Image Image *

*: for those of you under the local drinking age, that's near beer and a Shirley Temple. (If you're over, then it's just beer and a cocktail, of course.)

ETA: Hmm, I need a bigger printer... (Or perhaps I'll just print out the digits separately.)
ETA2: And GLR bless the Millennial Mome! If anyone should be {MP]o[mp]e, it should be BlitzGirl!

Thanks, mscha! MPompe looks like a real word to me at this point. Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:
akacat wrote:Lol, how long were you lurking with that post ready to go?

Actually when she saw the post count hit 39960 she opened her graphics program, whipped it up and fired it off. All in real time.

BTW. Good show.

Image I wish I could do that! Thanks, charlie!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Your 1000 post image was waaaaayyyy tooooooo cooooolllll!!!!!!!

I think you got most everyone some way or other. (At least I see me. THANKS!)

Thanks! I know for sure that I didn't get everyone, but I tried to get a lot of OTTers. If I'd actually thought ahead, I would have spent a few days on this, but it didn't occur to me to ottify Othercomic #1000 until today. So I scooped up images from my Boom De Yadas and all the manips I had made and saved, then got a bunch of avatars from recent newpages, then scanned for avatars that were buffyhatted or memorable from my Quest, then collected the smileys made by yappobiscuits for OTTers, plus Vytron's smileys of the Time trio, tossed in a few stickottifications from my unreleased Past Present and several squirpy silhouettes from my screenshots, jumbled all of that together, and just barely finished in Time.

Oh, and fireworks for CasCat:
Image Image Image Image

And you said all that in one breath too.
CasCat, you weren't being Ignored, more like "Yeah, Fireworks!", but then the rush to 1000 set in. And no one had any time to reply (not that there was one person taking up halfa the available posts on that page or anything.) But look at it this way, you provided fireworks for NP 999 AND NP 1000. Peach-a-tronic....

a slight exaggeration. [say what]

And Woo! Woo! the official millennial page.
let's hear it for:
New page 1001!!!
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

moody7277

NP1000--blink and you miss it

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

:shock:

I went Outside for 1/3 newpix to mow the back yard, and I miss the entire 1000th page! Rats.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:by charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

What?
Hello???
Anyone here?

BlitzGirl wrote:by BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Wow, a little calmer on old 1001.

I choose to believe that all of you, like me, chose to let charlie's post hang there for five minutes deliberately.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Thanks! I know for sure that I didn't get everyone, but I tried to get a lot of OTTers. If I'd actually thought ahead, I would have spent a few days on this, but it didn't occur to me to ottify Othercomic #1000 until today. So I scooped up images from my Boom De Yadas and all the manips I had made and saved, then got a bunch of avatars from recent newpages, then scanned for avatars that were buffyhatted or memorable from my Quest, then collected the smileys made by yappobiscuits for OTTers, plus Vytron's smileys of the Time trio, tossed in a few stickottifications from my unreleased Past Present and several squirpy silhouettes from my screenshots, jumbled all of that together, and just barely finished in Time.

Image Image Image Image

I was going to mention it bore a remarkable resemblance. Nice job!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 1000 NP!

And awefulsome work, BlitzGirl!

Nom-nom-nom-nom.....

Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Image Image Image Image

And you said all that in one breath too.
CasCat, you weren't being Ignored, more like "Yeah, Fireworks!", but then the rush to 1000 set in. And no one had any time to reply (not that there was one person taking up halfa the available posts on that page or anything.) But look at it this way, you provided fireworks for NP 999 AND NP 1000. Peach-a-tronic....

a slight exaggeration. [say what]

Ohh, I'm in the first Zero and I have fireworks! <happy-cat>
Last edited by CasCat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

I was going to post on NP1000, but then I realised Blitz got me on her 1000 pic, and that was more than enough for a lurker like me.

Happy 1000 (+1) newpages OTT'ers! (and Happy 4th of July Americans)

Also happy that Cuegan is up and moving again ^^
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Been thinking about the flow of time in the OTC. The obvious answer is that it is arbitrary and at the whim of GLR. But is it possible that it is actually based on the perception of the main two characters Megan and Cueball. As an example when they both sleep so does the OTC and we miss most of the night times. When one of them is forced to stay awake at night we get the slow drag of a nights worth of time with no way to speed it up. We also get the adrenalin boosted frames where Trebuchet bullets fly slowly though the air or the keyboard attack with sub second time between frames. Then their is dialog frames where they the speed is dictated by the natural flow and responses of conversation. There is the leaving of the sandcastle where without Megan and Cueball to perceive it and only their fading memory to keep it alive it fades slowly.

So Maybe in some way the OTC is meant to be a way of showing the weird and interesting way we as humans perceive time. Fast at time and slow at times and with missing gaps for sleeping etc.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Not a mashup, but a song I wrote many years ago which is perhaps apropos. It has castles, the sea, non-romantic love. It's all related.
Spoiler:
It's too big to upload here (the smallest I could get it to was 2.2 meg) so I have to point you to where it presently lives on sonicbids.

http://www.sonicbids.com/2/EPK/?epk_id=22493#!audio

It's actually never been performed. Due to scheduling, the recording was done in tracks in my basement and assembled later. Hope you like it.

Now that the party is past, I had a chance to properly listen to this.
A lovely song, and a worthy remembrance!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Re: NP1000--blink and you miss it

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote::shock:

I went Outside for 1/3 newpix to mow the back yard, and I miss the entire 1000th page! Rats.

Ooh, unlucky... I went for an evening walk for about a newpix and came back to find us well into 999... got lucky there.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And that was page 1000 already. That went by fast!

If the OTT had always been that fast, we would have reached NP 1000 in less than a mip, during np 797:
Spoiler:
edited for increased accurateness by including secondsH
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And that was page 1000 already. That went by fast!

And mscha bookends the first 1000 pages(and 40000 posts)
My prediction for the new millenium
Spoiler:
Cloud Atlas
Last edited by edo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

BlitzGirl

Time flies...and so does the OTT!

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Image Image Image Image
I was going to mention it bore a remarkable resemblance. Nice job!
Thanks! I did absolutely no drawing of my own on this ottification; it was purely copy-pasted. I would never have survived if I had had to draw all the OTTers at once. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

In the aftermath of the newpage 1000 party:

Spoiler:

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Been thinking about the flow of time in the OTC. The obvious answer is that it is arbitrary and at the whim of GLR. But is it possible that it is actually based on the perception of the main two characters Megan and Cueball. As an example when they both sleep so does the OTC and we miss most of the night times. When one of them is forced to stay awake at night we get the slow drag of a nights worth of time with no way to speed it up. We also get the adrenalin boosted frames where Trebuchet bullets fly slowly though the air or the keyboard attack with sub second time between frames. Then their is dialog frames where they the speed is dictated by the natural flow and responses of conversation. There is the leaving of the sandcastle where without Megan and Cueball to perceive it and only their fading memory to keep it alive it fades slowly.

So Maybe in some way the OTC is meant to be a way of showing the weird and interesting way we as humans perceive time. Fast at time and slow at times and with missing gaps for sleeping etc.

That's an interesting idea... Image I like it!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Lyoug

Postby Lyoug » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Been thinking about the flow of time in the OTC. The obvious answer is that it is arbitrary and at the whim of GLR. But is it possible that it is actually based on the perception of the main two characters Megan and Cueball. As an example when they both sleep so does the OTC and we miss most of the night times. When one of them is forced to stay awake at night we get the slow drag of a nights worth of time with no way to speed it up. We also get the adrenalin boosted frames where Trebuchet bullets fly slowly though the air or the keyboard attack with sub second time between frames. Then their is dialog frames where they the speed is dictated by the natural flow and responses of conversation. There is the leaving of the sandcastle where without Megan and Cueball to perceive it and only their fading memory to keep it alive it fades slowly.

I somehow found that post very beautiful.
And it is also a quite consistent theory, so thanks for pointing that out.

On another topic, has anyone heard about cmyk lately? Seeing his hatted avatar in Blitzgirl's 1000th NP reminded me he hasn't posted in here for a long while now.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

That's a good analysis.
There's one more thing, though: time within Time isn't always consistent. The first time we had a (fairly) good way to measure Inside time, was when the stars were out. They're were moving with a fairly constant speed, and the stargazers among us have calculated that a starry newpix's duration is about 6½ minutes.
However, from frame 2454 to 2456, a brief conversation took place that can't have taken more than 30 seconds. But according to the stars, about 13 minutes passed.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:In the aftermath of the newpage 1000 party:

Spoiler:

Hmmm, if you want to get rid of some of that before it gets stale, I've got my "Lewis & Clark Bi-centennial" shot glass right here...... [?????] :wink:

Edit
@ Latent22, I think you put that down much better than I could have. I've always thought the internal time in Time has been fluid. Your post hits the nail on the head.
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

richP

Postby richP » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
Here's to the future, by way of the past. Image

Sweet, a Polywogs reference?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Sitting in the airport Starbucks and a sweet/sad song is playing while I scroll through all the happiness and celebration of the OTT & it couldn't be more perfect. I found myself grinning from ear to ear watching it happen, glad that I've been able to experience the whole ride. I don't think there's any better place on the whole internet (and I internet hard). You guys are the greatest of the great & I'm happy to be here with you. :)

@BlitzGirl: amazing 1000 ottification and I'm happy to see you using the fireworks wizard emote to celebrate! :D

@Latent22: I really like what you posted about the perception of time and don't think it could have been said any better, or placed anywhere else in Time.

Phone posting doesn't allow me to commemorate this moment with 1000 cupcakes, but they're here in memory, right?

Wait on, friends. I'm sure we'll continue to enjoy the story unfolding together!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Re: NP1000--blink and you miss it

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote::shock:

Don't think of it as missing page 1000. Think of it as being back in time for the first page of the new millennium. :TootsHorn:

Eternal Density

blindposting from momenx after Cue awoke

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:OTC Livewallpaper update: I have a much improved version running on my device now. I can't update it the version on Google Play from here, but will do so when I get home in ~4 newpix.
Yep, it's pretty neat and knows what it's doing on my SIII.
One minor quibble: there's quite a delay when changing orientation. I can live with it, but any efforts to speed it up would be welcome.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

TimeLurker

1000 Timification!

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

@BlitzGirl
:D
3, calling that 4 doesn't begin to describe it! That was awesomeful, neat, WOWnderful, amazing, and just cool! Sure, my opinion might be biased by the fact that I was included (I humbly thank you :oops: ). And I'll add my agreement that the millinial-pope had to be you.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

When I saw BlitzGirl being the Mome of page 1000, I litterally said "YES!". Well, whispered, because people are comaing in the two rooms next to mine, but still!

Your ottification is awesome and truly belongs where it is now. I hope it stays there. And a big thank you for including me. :)
Last edited by Pikrass on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Just blindposting to say ARGH! Missed page 1000 by only a little bit! Ah well. 1001 is almost as good. In the meantime, I'll be ketching up. TTY'AL (talk to y'all later)!

BytEfLUSh

Re: 1000

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:1000 Newpages!

Damn, I didn't make it to post on NP 1000, but I'm glad my avatar made it - especially since it was a BlitzGirl Production™ image. :D

ETE: Fixing tags
ETE2: Added some style
ETE3: Minor edits
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 am UTC

And they're of Ong a new adventure!
And a wonderful way to start a new Millennium of Newpages, with an ultimatum.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Stop talkONGing, start walkONGing!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Yes, you need to see other people, Cuegan!

...wait a 'pix...

You need to catch sight of other people, Cuegan!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:Stop talkONGing, start walkONGing!

But if they procrastinate for another 16 newpix, then we'll have been looking at this scene for an even 200 frames. :P

(Wait a minute, what am I saying?
The Duke wrote:Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight!

so get going already.)

edit to fix quote. (dangit memory) [and a second time to fix it even better]
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhound

Re: blindposting from momenx after Cue awoke

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Wildhound wrote:OTC Livewallpaper update: I have a much improved version running on my device now. I can't update it the version on Google Play from here, but will do so when I get home in ~4 newpix.
Yep, it's pretty neat and knows what it's doing on my SIII.
One minor quibble: there's quite a delay when changing orientation. I can live with it, but any efforts to speed it up would be welcome.

It might be a while before you read this, but thanks for the feedback!

The problem is I don't have a device to test orientations on and the emulator is always really slow. I can think of a thing or two that might improve it, but on the other hand might make it worse and I wouldn't know until I published the changes and got feedback. That said, I will continue to think about the best way to improve it!

pelrigg wrote:And they're of Ong a new adventure!
Spoiler:

And now I must coma, safe in the knowledge that when I return there will be some action to enjoy! Until tomorpix, night all.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:16 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:And they're of Ong a new adventure!
Spoiler:

Here's our hook for them finally meeting LaPetite. She'll take them back to her people, and Megan will get (belated) first aid.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Here's our hook for them finally meeting LaPetite. She'll take them back to her people, and Megan will get (belated) first aid.

That sounds more like last aid.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:19 am UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:Some folks on a Nintendo 3DS forum noticed this article about people such as yourself and as the thread continued we found this one in which a stereoblind man gained normal vision after a 3D movie jumpstarted his brain.

Oh, your BBC.com link lead me to another about a question I asked some newpages ago. It really is ALL RELATED™.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 am UTC

I gotta go meta on this thread... It may be heretical at some points and I hope GLR forgives me.

[outside heresy]
Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips. Some message boards also have their own jargon and "memes", but they usually count tens of thousands of members and years of development. However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't. Heck, even members reading this thread without a single post have become famous (Mrs. MobTeeseGoose, I hope you read this.) This may be the most homogenous group on the Internet... Ask someone about molpies, GLR, OTC, OTT, Page Pope, Page Goat (excuse me if those existed before - I never saw them), LaPetite, Cuegan, Megball, "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine" and all of the other words and phrases I can't remember right now - the ones where spellcheck puts a squiggly red line underneath. I wasn't around before the "Eternal September", but my best guess is - this is what it looked like.
[/outside heresy]

TLDR: You are all awesome! :D

ETE: It sounded like I have no clue about English language. Hopefully fixed.
ETA: Wikilink
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Turns out "later" wasn't all that much later!

@Dracomax - Ketching Up
@charlie_grumbles - Doug Englebart
@ByteFlush - OTT memes

Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Fellow Time waiters. The last week or so have made something clear to me. The OTT has become more work than fun, trying to stay caught up, and I just can't seem to keep a steady presence or read everything. I am no nearly 100 pages behind, and it's becoming clear. I can't read everything, and I can't spend enough time here to do the Job effectively. Therefore, Effective immediately, I am abdicating my role as Lord High Inquisitor.

Don't get me wrong--I'll still check in several times a week, and keep up with the OTC until it's end, but the joke has worn thin for me, and I find I have no real desire to read every post any longer. Even before this I found myself skimming pages on pages. I respect and like you all too much to leave for good, but I also respect and like me far too much to spend hours and hours keeping up when it isn't quite as fun anymore.

Thank you.

That's absolutely fine - there was never any obligation to read everything! If you don't feel there's any reason to, then enjoy yourself in the present.

In the meanwhile, it seems we have a position which is conspicuously void. If only someone were around to fill in...

charlie_grumbles wrote:Shed a tear for Doug Englebart, who invented the computer mouse long before a lot of you were born. He was a pioneer in human interface design. He died last night after a long and fruitful life and career.

...Wow. Really puts things in perspective, that some of the people who made the cool things we use today are already kicking the bucket. Almost makes me wish I'd been alive in that bygone era of innovation and discovery - but then I think about it and realize there are whole universes left to explore.

Also, glad you're active again charlie! Your wisdom and grumbliness really do add a lot to the thread :D

BytEfLUSh wrote:I gotta go meta on this thread... It may be heretical at some points and I hope GLR forgives me.

[outside heresy]
Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips. Some message boards also have their own jargon and "memes", but they usually count tens of thousands of members and years of development. However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't. Heck, even members reading this thread without a single post have become famous (Mrs. MobTeeseGoose, I hope you read this.) This may be the most homogenous group on the Internet... Ask someone about molpies, GLR, OTC, OTT, Page Pope, Page Goat (excuse me if those existed before - I never saw them), LaPetite, Cuegan, Megball, "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine" and all of the other words and phrases I can't remember right now - the ones where spellcheck puts a squiggly red line underneath. I wasn't around before the "Eternal September", but my best guess is - this is what it looked like.
[/outside heresy]

TLDR: You are all awesome! :D

ETE: It sounded like I have no clue about English language. Hopefully fixed.
ETA: Wikilink

From what I understand, Page Pope came out of the already existing Page King which is often the bane of some forums. We seem to have embraced and modified it to suit our whims, however.

And finally,

BlitzGirl wrote:
1000 Newpages!

-snip-

Redundant spoiler:

Woooo! 1000 newpages! It's been a hell of a ride so far, y'all, and I can't wait to see where we float to next! :D

By the way, that picture is 4[/supsomefully [sup]3! (I can't remember any of the standard footnotes now, so I've been reading that type of construct as "foursomely three," and has become synonymous with "totally radaliciously cool" in my head!) It's gorgeously executed, and has just about every OTT meme I could think of :D

BlitzGirl

CAKE?

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Thanks, ChronosDragon! Nice ketchup gif! :D
And what a lovely observation, BytEfLUSh.

AluisioASG wrote:EDIT: I'm also happy no one noticed my 600th post.

a-HA! Nice try. Trying to avoid a cakeing with your sneaky edit? TOO BAD.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, ChronosDragon! Nice ketchup gif! :D
And what a lovely observation, BytEfLUSh.

AluisioASG wrote:EDIT: I'm also happy no one noticed my 600th post.

a-HA! Nice try. Trying to avoid a cakeing with your sneaky edit? TOO BAD.
Spoiler:

Thanks! But I can't in good conscience take the credit for it. Not wanting to take half an hour making a gif of my own, I did a google search for "Dragon ketchup" and this was among the first results :P Quite applicable, though.

Also, happy 600th Aluisio!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”