1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:He's going to a safe place, so he will. I don't know his story, but Dals are like Newfs in that a lot of people fall in love with the puppies, and can't handle them as adults. I get all my wolpies used, and try to help others when I can, and giving them a ride is an easy way to do that. We had a pleasant morning drive, and he's a bit closer to home.
Sounds like a network of wolpy lovers, kind of like a relay team. Yes? Hope he finds a great home!

Exactly that. Today we drove ~80 miles to the pickup point, and then back with him to meet the next driver. He got lucky, and his next ride was heading his way, and I just got word that he's arrived at his destination. We also saw 3 other wolpies making transfers at the pickup point, good day for wolpies looking for families. In all cases, the transfers are organized by rescue organizations, so while not all the wolpies have their forever family at that point, they are assured that it will be found in time. (I'm told meowpies have their own network, but have no direct experience with it.)
Kieryn wrote:Favorite frame?
897. That's the first frame I think when people started noticing the fade. It was a crazy time... people were so excited... and I'd had just posted my lemmings video not 2 pages before. Perfect timing for the transition...

1 Edit: Though I don't think it will be necessarily the beach, though it could be.

Edit 2: Mscha, and others... please be on point for detecting fades... I'm not able to do any computer wizardry at the moment.

The fade and the starry night both brought out new OTTers, so those were good times.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

My favorite frame?
Spoiler:

Possibly because, hitting it right before coma, it's the only frame I've dreamed about. I can't remember what the dream was about but I remember that frame was in it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

64 pages to go. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.
See you all soon!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

No problem detectONG a fade...

Hmm, not exactly what I expected...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

CasCat

BlankONG?

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Ninja'd

That was awfully abrupt.

Manditory question: Are we at the end of Time...?

<bracing self, mouth open, for M&M barrage>
Last edited by CasCat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:No problem detectONG a fade...

Hmm, not exactly what I expected...

Aha! A fade in. To me that is a definite assertion of the 3 act model.
Edit: (because of the symmetry)
Last edited by Kieryn on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

foilman

Postby foilman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Very odd and unexpected. Where are we now???

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Can someone who knows how tell if this is uniformly white?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

So my prediction was kinda right? That's certainly a first! Image
(Well, I might still be wrong about the beach.)

I can confirm that all pixels (apart from the border) are white (#ffffff).

ETA: Welcome back, Hal! Good luck blitzing!
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:So my prediction was kinda right? That's certainly a first! Image

Thanks, mscha! That's gotta be the fastest answer to a question on record.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Can someone who knows how tell if this is uniformly white?

A few ways to do this, but the easiest is to check the type of PNG. I believe the other's are greyscale, and this is one is monochrome or bitmap, then it's pretty easy. Otherwise you have to do a histogram. Historically, I'd use the pbmplus utilities for this, but these have been largely superceded by ImageMagick.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

I think something's mustarded. In my browser I'm seeing the pic as completely blank (no black outline, just white space). It won't open in Preview at all. When I open it in Photoshop, I get a warning message about an "invalid ICC profile"; if I tell it to continue anyway, I then see the black outline.
Last edited by Rule110 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

I would love to say well done, but I think we kind of have to wait one more frame to see if it is actually a fade in... It could be the start or something weird like scrolling text... or maybe an atom bomb just went off and CMYK had it right all along...

I'm a downing molpy1 now, so will need to wait a few hours before I can find out... but best of luck!

1Whenever either of my kids falls asleep or takes a nap (such as in the car) I report "molpy down" and family understands. My kids are becoming outside molpies.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I think something's mustarded. In my browser I'm seeing the pic as completely blank (no black outline, just white space). It won't open in Preview at all. When I open it in Photoshop, I get a warning message about an "invalid ICC profile"; if I tell it to continue anyway, I then see the blank black outline.

Photoshop might not like monochrome PNGs, which, by design, do not have a color profile.

Ronald
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:I think something's mustarded. In my browser I'm seeing the pic as completely blank (no black outline, just white space). It won't open in Preview at all. When I open it in Photoshop, I get a warning message about an "invalid ICC profile"; if I tell it to continue anyway, I then see the black outline.

What browser is that? It looks just fine to me in Firefox, Chrome and IE10 on Windows 7.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Not sure what to make of the white-out. Wow. Um.... Neat?
Hi! Probably.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

IceIsNice wrote:Not sure what to make of the white-out. Wow. Um.... Neat?

I know what you mean; I got ninja'd on the ONG because I spent a few seconds staring at it going, "hey, WHAT?"....

CasCat

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Favorite frame?
897. That's the first frame I think when people started noticing the fade. It was a crazy time... people were so excited... and I'd had just posted my lemmings video not 2 pages before. Perfect timing for the transition...

1 Edit: Though I don't think it will be necessarily the beach, though it could be.

Edit 2: Mscha, and others... please be on point for detecting fades... I'm not able to do any computer wizardry at the moment.

The fade and the starry night both brought out new OTTers, so those were good times.

And

So, we get yet another chance for de-lurking. All are welcome.

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Ninja'd

That was awfully abrupt.

Manditory question: Are we at the end of Time...?

<bracing self, mouth open, for M&M barrage>

Our command remains. We must Wait for it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Or maybe we've simply entered the dusty area, Cuegan will enter from the left in a dim grey.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Rule110 wrote:I think something's mustarded. In my browser I'm seeing the pic as completely blank (no black outline, just white space). It won't open in Preview at all. When I open it in Photoshop, I get a warning message about an "invalid ICC profile"; if I tell it to continue anyway, I then see the black outline.

What browser is that? It looks just fine to me in Firefox, Chrome and IE10 on Windows 7.

It's Safari, on an old-model desktop Mac. So yeah I know, the answer is "get a real browser" but I haven't had the problem with Time frames before, apparently because no pix were only monochrome color depth before.* It's okay on my laptop (also a Mac but with a much more recent OS), so if it's working for everyone else, I'll ignore it as just another of the kind of glitch I put up with from time to time.

*Except on the last frame of the fade-out, which I hadn't noticed before. I was expecting that to be white, so I didn't notice the missing-black-border glitch on my display.
Last edited by Rule110 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Or maybe we've simply entered the dusty area, Cuegan will enter from the left in a dim grey.
My head was ninja'd by edfel. I was thinking exactly this and was about to write it, but refreshed the page first.

So we have several predictions:
1. Fade in to beach
2. Fade in somewhere else
3. Nuclear bomb
4. White dust

Considering our record, it won't be any of these...

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
edfel wrote:Or maybe we've simply entered the dusty area, Cuegan will enter from the left in a dim grey.
My head was ninja'd by edfel. I was thinking exactly this and was about to write it, but refreshed the page first.

1. Fade in to beach
3. Nuclear bomb
4. White dust

Poor Randall. We've pretty much thought of every possible scenarion, so now He'll have to come up with something else in the next 33/60 newpix. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Does anyone remember if at the end of the fade out of the castle if it went completely white in the last frame. If it did then this is an exact repeat of that frame...

The loopests amongst you can start a loop from here where they walk along until they find a river. Then head upstream. find a mountain. Get to the top and find its a flat plateau and walk along again...
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Ximenez wrote:

1. Fade in to beach
3. Nuclear bomb
4. White dust

Poor Randall. We've pretty much thought of every possible scenarion, so now He'll have to come up with something else in the next 33/60 newpix. Image

5. The word "IT" will appear, either directly (cut) or gradually. It can be either standard xkcd-font, or made up a la BlitzGirl of xkcd-related/OTC scenery. In a blag-post Randall will state that IT was fun, until it wasn't. In related news, Charley Grumbles will turn out to be Randall's grandfather.

I could go on, but then it might be too blatantly obvious that I am ad-libbing here ;-)

Ronald
Spoiler:

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Does anyone remember if at the end of the fade out of the castle if it went completely white in the last frame. If it did then this is an exact repeat of that frame...

Yes, it did. This is a repeat of frame 971.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Theory 6: The white frame is just mustard; it's not supposed to be white.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Oooh! Another fading! And this time I'm around to witness it :D

Actually, my first thought was that its a pan-down from the sky. I could be wrong, only Time will tell.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
mscha wrote:

It's Safari, on an old-model desktop Mac. So yeah I know, the answer is "get a real browser" but I haven't had the problem with Time frames before, apparently because no pix were only monochrome color depth before.* It's okay on my laptop (also a Mac but with a much more recent OS), so if it's working for everyone else, I'll ignore it as just another of the kind of glitch I put up with from time to time.

*Except on the last frame of the fade-out, which I hadn't noticed before. I was expecting that to be white, so I didn't notice the missing-black-border glitch on my display.

That's exactly what happened to me during the original fade out.. In fact, looking back at the first fade those particular frames still display incorrectly. Never did figure out what caused it, but it went back to normal after 1 or 2 frames.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

First "People", then "white frame the 2nd"?
Oh boy, oh boy....

mscha wrote:

I'd like to confirm Rule110's Photoshop "Invalid ICC Profile" message. I got the same thing when I tried to play with the image. It does "preview" for me in IE on Win7, though.

I went back to the "Fading" era (thanks kieryn's Forum Navigator for speed searching), I was trying to find the directions for "high-contrasting" in Paint. Got lost in the BlitzGirl celebration and the teary "goodbyes". (Damn that was on NP 440 or so.)

A few more moments for the start of (hopefully) "fade-in"
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

I really hope that this isn´t the end.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Theory 8: This is the beginning of a zoom-out scene reveal.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

This could be all sky and it's going to pan down to a scene.

Or it could stay fixed and then we get cueball and megan falling through the frame as they step off the mountain by mistake.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:I really hope that this isn´t the end.

Well... we'll just commission BlitzGirl to do the artwork, and I'll write the remainder of the scenario. Don't worry it'll feature Time Travel and cake and molpies.

Ronald
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Theory 7: We're looking at the sky, specifically the blogosphere, and Cory Doctorow will float by in his balloon.

With regard to the file format:

Code: Select all

data/xkcd_time_20130706_1800.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
data/xkcd_time_20130706_1900.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
data/xkcd_time_20130706_2000.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
data/xkcd_time_20130706_2100.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
data/xkcd_time_20130706_2200.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 2-bit colormap, non-interlaced

It's a 2-bit colormap (supports 4 colours, probably needs 3: white, black border, and grey corner pixels), apparently Photoshop doesn't like that.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Ong just ONG

edit
And we are WHERE???????????????????????
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Is that a bucket?

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

I got home from outside work at such an exciting time! Hopefully it won't keep me up all night.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

libra

Postby libra » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Is this all that's left of the castle?

Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Well, that's a quick fade in... Not what we predicted. Image

Is that what's left of the castle?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

!? :shock: Complete white-out? Bit abrupt don't you think?

I certainly think Kieryn may be correct. If we're to cut to Act III, are we to jump to Cuegan having reached their destination, and arrived at the dusty people?

Oh, a new frame. Perhaps we have jumped ahead...to a bucket?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”