1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Reading Karhell's letters to the TimeWaiters, from the foot of NP620, and then visiting that page for nostalgia, I am reminded that we haven't seen any noir for a bit. ChronosDragon, anything new on the horizon? I'd been enjoying it.

Oh dear, it's been quite a while, hasn't it? I've been rather busy as of late...though not entirely idle in my time away from class-related activities. I've been reading a couple good mystery books by Ray Bradbury and Agatha Christie, to try and get a better idea what I'm going for. Maybe I'll blitz-write several chapters this wipend.

ucim wrote:@AluisioASG: Regarding your code, a little context might be helpful. There are so many ways of encoding that with nothing to go on (and absent the NSA's budget or expertise), it's hard to find a hook for it. It's presented in a manner that suggests hex, but not ASCII, and the message size doesn't give me any clues. So, without knowing what to look for, it's hard to know if you are heading in the right direction.

Jose

That's about where I got with it as well, though I assumed I was missing some kind of clue in the post. Maybe a less subtle hint would be nice.

And omirandall, people! Close by! That have seen them! This is a momentous occasion, for soon we will have more people to obsess over (and then write steamy fanfiction about). I'm almost a little reluctant for the story to expand its repertoire, but I think 2400-ish frames of Megball is probably enough of two somewhat boring characters

Prediction: The person in the distance is Black Hat Guy.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Where ever/ when ever this story exists, there's obviously not a large number of people around, so if someone is traveling (between villages or whatever) if one group spots another group it's considered polite to go out of your way to greet them, even if they're from a different tribe.
Well, not necessarily. That depends on circumstances and the relationships between tribes. Maybe they are considered dangerous, and the best thing to do is rattle sabers and ensure they don't try to attack you because you look weak.

pelrigg wrote:I've always thought that during the time they went and got the bags, they also told someone what they were going to do. (Might have been an Elder, a parent, or LaPetite.) (Yes, I also believe they know LaPetite, even though we don't see them directly interacting with her.)
Quite possible.

foilman wrote:Oh good, I was worried these "people" would vanish without ever noticing them. How long until we meet them..?
... and will we know them? (as existing xkcd characters?)

AluisioASG wrote: but I think 2400-ish frames of Megball is probably enough of two somewhat boring characters
Heresy! Is that cotton candy thing ready yet?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

sford

Postby sford » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Khrushy wrote:... in a world filled with tons of other wacky inconsistencies too.

Yeah, I know! Isn't it great? This world has maddening consistencies in the midst of its inconsistencies! And maddening inconsistencies among its consistencies! I find this comic entertaining, challenging, frustrating, and rewarding, all at the same time. There's room to analyze its tantalizing clues to identify time and place, and enough surprises to dash our best attempts.

And we constantly ask, what does Randall intend? Is he carefully planning, or just letting it flow? And like all good art, the answer is far less important than we imagine. We see things that he may never have imagined in his own creation. And that's not bad! That's art.

The OTT and OTC are the most computer-related fun I've had in years. Enjoy!

Speaking of OTC, I've had mild altitude sickness before, and it mostly manifests as headache. Getting winded is not altitude sickness. As has been mentioned, you can't walk your way to altitude sickness - your body acclimates itself as you go. But getting your lungs and circulatory system used to the thinner air is a much slower process. It can take months before you can exert yourself without needing to pause from time to time. I believe you can climb your way to being winded.

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I'm thinking a scarecrow swinging on a pole. Other people in the OTC just feels... weird.

That, or a yeti.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

I thought Megan's “Well, they've seen us” sounded a bit sarcastic.
As in any of:
- They ran away as soon as they spotted Cuegan.
- They pointed a big gun (or cannon, or trebuchet) at Cuegan.
- etc.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
thirds wrote:OMR. What else is there to say?

"... Jude"?
"... Arnold"?
"... diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle"?
"... soul sister, ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo"?
"... there Delilah, what's it like in New York City"?
"... hey, my my, rock and roll can never die"?
"... I've been living a lonely life"?
"... little girl, is your daddy home, did he go and leave you all alone"?
"... ho, it's off to work we go"?

"... hey, you you, I don't like your girlfriend"?
"...(hey) you(you), get in to my car"?
"... hey, we're the Molpees "?

Fixed that for us.

Welcome back!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Translastion of "Un bel di, vedremo," from Puccini's Madama Butterfly
Maria Callas sings the original
Spoiler:
One good day, we will see
Arising a strand of dust
Over the far horizon on the hills
And then people appear
And there are two of them
They climb onto our mountain, loudly shouting "Hey!".

Do you see it? They are coming!
I don't go down to meet them, not I.
I stay upon the edge of the hill
And I wait a long time
but I do not grow weary of the long wait.

And leaving from the deserted beach,
A man, a woman too.
Climbing the hill.
Who are they? Who are they?
And as they arrive
What will they say? What will they say?
She will shout "Hey!" from the distance
I without answering
Stay hidden
A little to tease them,
A little as to not die.
At the first meeting,
And then a little troubled
He will call, she will call
"La Petite, dear friend
Blossom of grey"
The names they called me at his last coming.
All this will happen,
I promise you this
Hold back your fears -
I with secure faith wait for them.

It IS all related! :shock:

FTFY.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Ahmet_Cesaret wrote:First post! (And a seaish one at that, if you are bumping it I will like it to be spoilered)
Spoiler:
Hi Y'all I've been lurking since the start of Time, yes I have read it all, because I have enough free time for that.

I just delurked because i wanted to say something that's been bugging me about the Mountain Era, it is too long! I know thats not enough reason to divide it, but I think there are some actual reasons to divide it at a specific point, here they are:

1) Geography: The last part of the Era is set on a plateau near the top, while the rest is climbing.

2) Plotwise there is a important point: The Fluttermolpy Discussion, in where Cueball says (resumed, not quoted) ''we must go back'' and Megan says ''we must keep on going '' ,she gets her way, and we get a new explicit goal, reach the mountain top.

3) Most importantly we get a atmosphere change that starts, in that same period, with the raptor attack on the Fluttermolpy, continues with the raptorcat attack on Cueball and stays on Megan's wound. Before that nothing that violent or scary had happened on the OTC.

Thats why I suggest to divide the Mountain Era in two eras. The Mountain Side era, starting where the actual Mountain Era does, and ending on The Fluttermolpy Discussion period. And the Mountain Plateau era starting in The Weird Tree Period and ending where the Mountain Era does.

Haven't seen this fistpost bumped yet, so throwing it forward.

mscha wrote:No problem detectONG a fade...

Hmm, not exactly what I expected...

Heh, you detected the last fade frame in the Sandcastle Eon. That's funny -

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Ninja'd

That was awfully abrupt.

Manditory question: Are we at the end of Time...?

<bracing self, mouth open, for M&M barrage>

Wait, WHAT?? That was an actual ONG, not a manip/oldlink? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back to Blitzing, too much is happening now!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I thought Megan's “Well, they've seen us” sounded a bit sarcastic.
As in any of:
- etc.

I was wondering how she knew that the new people saw Cuegan. [optimism]Maybe they waved.[/optimism]

Edit for pope: Future Pope Decree: "Do the opposite of what the last pope told you to do."
Last edited by TimeLurker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Prediction: The person in the distance is Black Hat Guy.

Randall, I hope not. I hate that guy.

Marsh'n

Re: Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP 21 (2%)

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

A check-in/signpost. Around NP19 I began listening to 9 Beet Stretch as background and it seems to fit the blitzing mood.
===== Howdys/Kudos/Neats/Woots =====
Spoiler:
It was lovely to meet for the first time (in order, I hope): Vytron (quoted only?), Aubron (NP5), Angelastic (NP6), Whizbang (NP7), azule, Goggalor, pikrass, NoMouse (all NP9), ByTEfLUSh, KarMann, and AluisioASG. (If I missed you in the list, I'm sorry - it's probably because I was reading a lot of this on a tiny phone screen and couldn't see your avatar and read the text at the same magnification.) Consider this a reminder that your current avatar and signature are helping support beginning blitzers, for which we are grateful.

@romboidal - "firstpost of the first" - thank you for getting us started.
@mercutio_stencil - for staying up all night to collect images!
@hanoc - "I love the thread of time" - thank you for planting a seed that seems to have taken root
@Aubron - for the Book of Aubron - fully up an running at NP19
@Angelastic - for a floating bit of optimism (NP6) in a rising sea of gloom
@Forbidden 403 - for the image that "thousands of people separated by various time zones are all in sync" (NP7)
@mikrit - for first? OTTification "Turn, Turn, Turn" (NP9)
@Flumble - for recognizing OTT as having its own specialness beyond the OTC itself (NP11)
@patzer - for being almost as good as newpixbot for catching every frame (NP12,13,...)
@thujapicata - for wonderful philosophical post (NP14)
@mandvandmaan - for first generic sigcouragement I found? (NP21)

===== Laughs and Hats =====
Spoiler:
@mybrainhurts - first hatted poster (NP4)?
@iisjreg - Avatar is the word HAT :-)
@modus_ponens - "delayed gratification" - the Blitz! (NP9)
@NotThatHatGuy - "Massively Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping" (NP17)
@peewee_RotA - "17 pages? No catching up with this one" (NP17)
@YellowYeti - Dancing shorts gifanim (NP20)
@Angelastic - "most people asking if this thread is the longest?" (NP18), and for dooming the doomsayers to a sarcastic taste of their own medicine (NP20)
@patzer - Klein bottle hat :-)

===== Recurring Themeses/Memeses =====
Spoiler:
Clock of the Long Now (mercutio_stencil, NP2)
The Meganness of Megan (latigid on, NP5)
The Cueballness of Cueball (Arlo James Barnes, NP18)
Randall reads the OTT (fwfr, NP7)
Have You Seen The JavaScript (wgasa/Quenty - NP11, RealGrouchy - NP13, super_aardvark - NP17 ...)

===== Predictions =====
Spoiler:
Good predictions, such as: the water will rise (NP6), the (gigantic) castle (NP6), the castle will be destroyed (NP7), they leave and castle slowly erodes to nothing (NP8), the strip will continue for months (NP12)
Memetic predictions, such as: randall life event (NP1), cancer babies (NP8) (haven't gotten to semen or coffee yet, AFAIK), looping

===== MIA =====
Spoiler:
@Aubron - I await the story of why the Book lives while the poster has gone silent...
@peewee_RotA - promises to keep posting to the thread as long as he can - so where's he been?
@thujapicata - why are you just a one-poster?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:

"...(hey) you(you), get in to my car"?

Eh? I thought it was "Get off of my cloud." ? or did I just miss the joke.

"hey hey, that's what I say, I can't get no!"
"...Joe, where ya going with that gun in your hand"
or the Mothers version, "...punk, where you going with those flowers in your hand."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 764 of 1032
Still walking up the mountains?, np 1786

About 60np of Blitzing has gained me over 30NP of progress. At my lowest point 60np ago, I was over 300NP in the Past, and now I'm less than 270NP away from the Present. If I can at least maintain during the work wip (since the OTT seems to advance faster then) and make up similar amounts of Time on the wipends, that means I'll ketchup to the Present in... 9 wips.

@rhomboidal (and whoever sent him messages to spoiler the NP1 image), RE: Edited firstpost (NP1):
Spoiler:
rhomboidal wrote:<spoiled image snipped>

Title Text: Wait for it.

I have no patience for entropy.

[Note: I don't think showing the latest image is a spoiler in the typical sense, since it seems the essential idea of this epic comic of comics is that while time might appear to be a strictly linear phenomenon, its manifestation as life is actually a profoundly open, richly holistic, poly-temporal inter-creative experience with as many entry points, narratives, and interpretations as there are participants in it. The ever-flowing moment of the present is in fact a portal to all times -- a mysterious window which invites us to simultaneously invent the world as we explore it. While we personally might have different beginnings, adventures, and inevitable endings, together our searching individual journeys map the living landscape of our boundless humanity and reality.

Also, castle silhouettes look crazy cool.

Link to the wonderfulous wiki for The One True Thread.]
I just noticed that the firstpost of the OTT was edited yesterxip. Somewhat disappointed that it still isn't spoilered, because even though I have the Spoiler Detector script enabled on all my desktop browsers, whenever I use my phone I have to remember to avoid page 1 altogether, which as far as I can tell requires me to go to a later page which potentially has spoilers near the top.

But, it was kind enough of him to edit in a link to the Wiki, and also calling it The One True Thread, which surprises me somewhat considering that he hasn't posted since np76 (NP22).

@taixzo, RE: Blitzing through the ROT-[N] (NP758)
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:Location: Newpage 420 of 758.
Blitzposting before I coma.

<snip>

Then I reached page 358. At first everything was just rot13'd. But then:

macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa…

I hate you for this.

And even worse was this:

chem1190c wrote:P aopur dl zovbsk hss zdpajo av YVA20. Aoha zovbsk thrl pa tbjo lhzply av mvssvd aopz kpzjbzzpvu

chem1190c suggests we encrypt stuff with rot20 - in a message which, I eventually figured out, is encrypted in rot19.

Purplepants77 wrote:Teipkl gnmr, bht V cnuthg oa. Loh Cnnaog fboy mr!

Rdvt: Nvnwa’q

Is it bad that, by this point, I did not need the rot13 translator to read this?

macraw83 wrote:Vftb bkst… jvpj suipp rgit rrj? Mjms vbsymawovh agascfxjx pjc nrsc vfvltlqcc vulrl ywc-t, kwuiw c ep shf lrike xp fus syskuxpbp wjvkms apn dfewcw.

Ok, I give up. Perhaps the meaning of this post will be revealed to me in the Future Past.

Caswallon wrote:Translated:
Caswallon wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Very well... What about this one, each individual character has been encrypted using ROT-I where I is the index of the character within the string.

I suspected as much. The ellipses threw me off initially. As well as the mistake in the second part.

Hah! I thought someone would translate it!
…But I'm still not going to try and read any future replies in this format.
I am sorry to have caused you undue stress during your blitz... during that ROT run we weren't really thinking of the blitzers. Mayhaps I should go back and put on my first message of that era that all of my messages are translated later on? Not that it would make up the time you spent during your blitz.

Edit: brought spoiler image from firstpost forward in Time... :oops:
Edit 2: Remove URL to xkcd page 1190
Last edited by macraw83 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I thought Megan's “Well, they've seen us” sounded a bit sarcastic.
As in any of:
- etc.

Yes. The "well" part of the sentence is an interjection that suggests some type of irony in the situation. If the situation was normal and they were just friendly waving the "well" would have been omitted. I predict extreme excitement from the other camp, but not in an unfriendly way.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

NOONGTOSEEYET...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:NOONGTOSEEYET...

Yep. so they are moving forward still. Nothing obviously threatening then. At least for now. I expect the other party is just extremely surprised.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

I somewhat agree with mscha. Why does it feel like there is now hesitation, now that Megan has confirmed that they themselves have been spotted by the "others". Also, she said "they've". Are we to take it that there is, in fact, more than one other person spotted on the hill?

Perhaps it is the pessimist in me, but I have a bad feeling about this :? I hope I am wrong.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Since we're about to meet the new people, I thought I'd try to find this piece of moldy bread (from NP 715):
pelrigg wrote:So while we're watching Megan and the squolpy, and wondering who's going to eat who, Cueball is wandering around without a chaperone.
I'm hoping he doesn't fall in (again), or get attacked by other molpies.
But it would be neatA if he ran into the "campfire"/"pretty neat river" people.
If/when we see some new folks, I wonder how GLR will show them. Will they be wearing some sort of hat? (I hope no feathers or other stereotypical renderings though.)
Or will we only be able to tell the difference by dialog? ("Oh, hi 'other people', how's it going?")
And how many frames will it take to learn a new language?

A Haven't I heard that word before?

And then there was my "Firefly" mash-up about "sashes".

Been Waiting for that answer for a while, and "soon" (I hope) we'll find out.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:NOONGTOSEEYET...
[image]

Yep. so they are moving forward still. Nothing obviously threatening then. At least for now. I expect the other party is just extremely surprised.

Megan said "People" and "They've", but it could still be one person in some kind of vehicle. Not running away, I don't think, because I'd expect some kind of activity from Cuegan (yelling or running after them).

I don't think one person would be LaPetite, because she'd have to have some kind of transportation to get back, but perhaps from the same tribe?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:Oooh! Another fading! And this time I'm around to witness it :D

Actually, my first thought was that its a pan-down from the sky. I could be wrong, only Time will tell.

BlitzGirl wrote:Cutaway ONG:

I think it's safe to assume that was what was left of the Sandcastle. :(

I missed two Fadings? :shock: :(

BlitzGirl wrote:Woo almost identininja! And now it's coma time. Image

Molpy down:

That is the most squeeeee molpy I've seen today! (And I've seen a lot in my mini-Blitz!)

And I see my last BlitzPost has been ninja'd:
Earthling on Mars wrote:-blindpost from page 1021-

mscha wrote:No problem detectONG a fade...

Hmm, not exactly what I expected...

I saw this, chuckled, and thought "ha ha, very funny mscha, nice manip."

Then I scrolled down and saw CasCat saying ninja'd.

It really is all white?!

... See you all after I ketchup.

ETA: Also, just spotted this in fhorn's sig:
fhorns sig wrote:"The person they are running towards had better be La Petite, or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

Not sure, but this seems like a spoiler for Time.
Last edited by taixzo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
fhorn wrote:Translastion of "Un bel di, vedremo," from Puccini's Madama Butterfly
Maria Callas sings the original
Spoiler:
One good day, we will see
Arising a strand of dust
Over the far horizon on the hills
And then people appear
And there are two of them
They climb onto our mountain, loudly shouting "Hey!".

Do you see it? They are coming!
I don't go down to meet them, not I.
I stay upon the edge of the hill
And I wait a long time
but I do not grow weary of the long wait.

And leaving from the crowded city,
A man, a woman too.
Climbing the hill.
Who are they? Who are they?
And as they arrive
What will they say? What will they say?
She will shout "Hey!" from the distance
I without answering
Stay hidden
A little to tease them,
A little as to not die.
At the first meeting,
And then a little troubled
He will call, she will call
"La Petite, dear friend
Blossom of grey"
The names they called me at his last coming.
All this will happen,
I promise you this
Hold back your fears -
I with secure faith wait for them.

It IS all related! :shock:

FTFY.

Oh to be in the presence of such ottification greatness! Thank you, mscha!!!
Opera torte for everyone!!!!!
opera cake.jpg
opera cake.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 10989 times
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:On the other hand, I'm loath to lump in to act one all that happened on their journey from the sea to here. The night sky feels like an act two kind of interlude.
It feels like the same act to me, but different scenes. Although, not all plays are divided up into acts and scenes the same way.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:What If - I have always wondered what it would be like if instead of having sharp time zone boundaries, we had watches that corrected for longitude and had a continuous gradient of time. It always seemed impractical because how would you communicate about it, except that now with smart phones it seems like we could just have filters that translate back and forth from UTC using the GPS.

{P982}And lunch was always at noon, and work started 4 hours after sunrise and ended 4 hours before sunset.
But we often don't use our computer to tell the time, we rely on our internal clocks.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Cuegan's excitement about seeing people seems to have faded. They're no longer running, just walking now.

ETA:
fhorn wrote:Oh to be in the presence of such ottification greatness! Thank you, mscha!!!

Well, greatness... I wouldn't say so, I hardly had to change anything. (Good catch for the similarity!)
fhorn wrote:Opera torte for everyone!!!!!
Spoiler:

... but thanks for the lovely torte, very tasty!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

It's been mentioned that they don't need to call each other by name because they're the only ones there so they know who they're talking to. Well, if the Others speak the same language as Cuegan, I wonder if they will introduce themselves by name, and/or by their relationship to each other.

I predict that Megan will just say her leg has been hurt and ask if they can help (it won't even be Cueball saying Megan's leg is hurt and revealing xer gender with a pronoun), and they will never properly introduce themselves.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cuegan's excitement about seeing people seems to have faded. They're no longer running, just walking now.

So far, the reaction seems completely normal to me. They're mutual strangers, both sides are presumably ambulatory, and (let's assume) there's no ongoing warfare or banditry that would cause excessive caution or hostility. I'd expect the person or group on familiar ground to either stand their ground or walk slowly toward the arriving strangers, while the arriving strangers would continue approaching. It wouldn't make sense for either side to charge forward. I'd also expect that once they knew they were all aware of one another's presence, they would wait to get closer to speak, rather than shouting back and forth.

In a more hostile environment, but without immediate obvious enmity, It would make more sense for the arriving strangers to be told to stop and wait while someone comes to check them out or escort them, or for them to have to answer shouted questions at a distance. That could still happen here, as they get closer, and it still wouldn't make sense for them to be running toward the others.
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time after Time...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cuegan's excitement about seeing people seems to have faded. They're no longer running, just walking now.

If the people ahead hadn't seen them and were moving, there might have been a good chance that the disappear over the horizon (down a mountain) before Cugan reaches them. And so if Cugan has been spotted, perhaps there's not a need to rush, and not a worry about the other party vanishing.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:On the other hand, I'm loath to lump in to act one all that happened on their journey from the sea to here. The night sky feels like an act two kind of interlude.
It feels like the same act to me, but different scenes. Although, not all plays are divided up into acts and scenes the same way.

Jose

As I said, I don't have any really good reason to choose one or the other. This could also be a five act 'Shakespearean' play, or, since we are both using plays as a model, something entirely different, like a novel.

My original purpose for postulating an act structure was to get some kind of handle on how long Time would continue. The following numbers may be pure hogwash. None of my other predictions have come true.

If you are right and this is act two.

(1) And it is a three act play (with 1/4, 1/2, 1/4 lengths to the actsL) then we are talking about 2653(mscha)*4 total frames or 10,612.

(2) If it is a five act play with roughly equal acts, then 2653*5 or 13,265 frames.

If it is act three

(3) of three acts then I get 2653*4/3 or 3,537 frames (pretty much my low original prediction)

(4) of five acts 2653*5/3 is 4,421.

I could make all kinds of caveats here, about the sensitivity to the frame number that choose for the act break, but I've already pointed out that it's mostly an interesting mental exercise. I think the arithmetic and logic is correct, given the underlying assumptions, but you never know.

L I rebelled against this in screenwriting classes which makes it ironic that I'm using it now, but it does provide a convenient scaffold for some arithmetic.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Quick blitzreply:

suzi wrote:I think, regardless of when/where this takes place, part of what GLR is doing is showing us what it feels like to have a world without information. Cueball and Megan are obviously observant, intelligent, and resourceful humans, but they don't have exactly those resources we are frantically using to piece together their world. We have access to information that they don't have, but it's nothing we know inherently. If you had never been told about shortness of breath at a high altitude, or never seen a bird feeding chicks before, and never had access to that information in a form other than observation, we would be where Cuegan is (are?).He's giving us something entirely from scratch, and through hints and the characters' observations we have to build a context. By building context, we're hyper-aware of the context, and hyper-aware of what we have to do to build the context. Eesh.

I feel like the questions in the OTT have gone from "how is the OTC created" -> "what's going to happen" -> "where in space/time are they and how is the story going to tell us this"

This. I think this is the best explanation for the OTC I've seen.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Closer to meetONG

Edit
Black beanie guy?
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

PersONGon!!!

ETA: I don't think this is a previously known xkcd character, is it?
(Of course, I'm just basing that on the hat, and people usually aren't defined by their headware, but we've got not much else to go on.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

whoa

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Dang, no sash.....
But at least it's not a feather.

Edit:
Also no weapon. Towards a positive encounter.
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Knit cap?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

*checking the hats page in the OTW to see which of you it is*
Time after Time...

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

mscha, on NP757, wrote:Everything you and slinches (and other heretics) are saying makes perfect sense. But I'll stick to my irrational belief in the infallibility of the Word (and Picture) of our Great Lord Randall, in spite of all the evidence, thank you very much... Image

Aren't we all paradoxical around here 8-)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:Knit cap?

It does look like what I grew up calling a beanie. (Also known as a "watch cap".)

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

I'm going for yarmulke myself.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I don't think this is a previously known xkcd character, is it?
(Of course, I'm just basing that on the hat, and people usually aren't defined by their headware, but we've got not much else to go on.)

xkcd 1112:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Closer to meetONG
Spoiler:

Edit
Black beanie guy?

It's one of those wool caps that fold up, like a ski cap or somesuch. It confirms the climate is significantly cooler up here, and that they indeed are likely to be wearing clothing (not depicted).

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”