1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

moody7277

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

One has to wonder how much the Beanies use/understand all this survey equipment from the Old Times.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:There's a precedent: one Smoot is definitely a lying-down length of a person.
Yes, so to measure altitude you'd need to measure in short-Smoots. (Actually, I had thought it was a circumfrence - lore I'm familiar with indicates he was rolled home. However I've seen it the other way too.

Ximenez wrote:What's in this bag?
Whatever the plot requires it to have at the time. Felix the cat

fhorn wrote::shock:
Spoiler:
OMR! And with a telescope to boot! (Or somesuch). Maybe we'll learn some astronomy/surveying/oceanography/laser weaponry words!

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Well it looks like this equipment is more complete than the earlier lot.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

fhorn wrote::shock: ONG!
Spoiler:

FTFY
ETA:
ucim wrote:
Ximenez wrote:What's in this bag?
Whatever the plot requires it to have at the time. Felix the cat
Yes!
Last edited by Ximenez on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:One has to wonder how much the Beanies use/understand all this survey equipment from the Old Times.

They have ALL SORTS of neatmu stuff lying around!!! :shock:
mumeant unironically

ETA:
Ximenez wrote:
fhorn wrote::shock: ONG!
Spoiler:

FTFY

Thank you, Ximenez - I was so shocked I couldn't ONG!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:One has to wonder how much the Beanies use/understand all this survey equipment from the Old Times.

From where it's pointed, looks like they could have been using it to watch Cuegan?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
fhorn wrote::shock:
Spoiler:
OMR! And with a telescope to boot! (Or somesuch). Maybe we'll learn some astronomy/surveying/oceanography/laser weaponry words!

Jose

Any thoughts about the small structure just behind Beanie? Looks like there are some other interesting articles about. (Hopefully they'll discuss the names of them as they learn to communicate.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I've kind of been working on nailing down the separate identities of our first three Beanies. Per Angelastic's post I'm going to hold off on denoting sex, but on zooming in I can see consistent characteristics for each of them and used "B-1", "B-2", and "B-3" instead of names. (I had already assigned those, then saw Angelastic's post, so there.)
{Sorry about the inconsistent cropping and sloppy painting.}
In the zooms "B-1" has the red tag; "B-2" the yellow tag and "B-3" the green tag.
First thing I saw was "B-2's" hat has a more slender brim and has the least amount of hair hanging on the side of xer face, with a tuft of hair on the neck when seen in the front views. "B-1" has a small amount of "side hair" (more than "2" but less than "3") and, yes, "B-3" (the quiet one) has the longest "side hair".
Anyway this is my $0.000002 worth for todip.

Spoiler:
Tags: <Rogue's Gallery> <Beanie ID's>
Tags: <Beanie Gallery 1>
Tags: <Beanie Gallery 2>
Tags: <Beanie Gallery 3>
Tags: <Beanie Gallery 4>
Tags: <Beanie Gallery 5>

Spoiler:
Redundant Pics.png
Redundant Pics.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 12269 times

2656_resize.png

2663-resize.png

2664-resize.png

2670-resize.png

2677-resize.png

Edit 2
Added tag info
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

I think they might have built it themselves.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Okay, so if we can see two beanies in this ONG, where did the third one go?

Also, this survey tower actually has a scope fitted to it, unlike the first one we saw.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:

From where it's pointed, looks like they could have been using it to watch Cuegan?

From their sandcastle? And the people in the tents? And the people in the hills? And LaPettite? They probably already know about the rise in sea level then.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, so if we can see two beanies in this ONG, where did the third one go?

Off frame to the right I assume. They seem to walk quickly.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
cellocgw wrote:There's a precedent: one Smoot is definitely a lying-down length of a person.
Yes, so to measure altitude you'd need to measure in short-Smoots. (Actually, I had thought it was a circumfrence - lore I'm familiar with indicates he was rolled home. However I've seen it the other way too.
Smoot was rolled home... end over end. (Actually, not really, but the unit was calibrated so that it gave the measurement they would have gotten if they had.) The result was 364.4 Smoots plus or minus one ear. The measurement marks on the bridge are maintained and as far as I know are still there.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Oh neat! More things! I wonder if the Beanies saw Megball coming from quite far off with that telescopey thing and were expecting them...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

off-ONG topic for the moment:
Ludwig von Koechel (no, I don't know how to make an umlaut) cataloged Mozart's works, and we now use the "K" to signify the chronology. Mozart's Second Horn Concerto, then, is listed as "Horn Concerto No. 2 in E-flat major, K. 417."
I propose we use "M" in the same way, using mscha's numbering system for the frames: M123, for example.
Is that doable? Helpful? Unnecessary?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Are they approaching a huge non-sand castle?

And it really looks like a telescope. Maybe they use astrological signs as symbols in their speech.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

What is that on the ground at the foot of the ladder? The thing that looks like a large shell? I think it might be a striped beanie.

Also, on the far right of the frame surrounded by black there is a tiny patch of white. I wonder what's immediately to the right of this frame?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:off-ONG topic for the moment:
Ludwig von Koechel (no, I don't know how to make an umlaut) cataloged Mozart's works, and we now use the "K" to signify the chronology. Mozart's Second Horn Concerto, then, is listed as "Horn Concerto No. 2 in E-flat major, K. 417."
I propose we use "M" in the same way, using mscha's numbering system for the frames: M123, for example.

I propose using "http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/" instead of "M": http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/123, for example. That's helpful. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

I was just thinking that earlier. Nice quick way to make it known which numbering system you're using, along with "A" for Aubron and "G" for Geekwagon.
BlitzGirl wrote:What is that on the ground at the foot of the ladder? The thing that looks like a large shell? I think it might be a striped beanie.

Also, on the far right of the frame surrounded by black there is a tiny patch of white. I wonder what's immediately to the right of this frame?

I think the white thing might be a glass jar/bottle of some sort. But yeah, the thing under the ladder is ε, and also the grey thing on top of the tower to the right of the telescope...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Yet another ONG that I thought was fake until I visited the OTC. These are exciting times, my friends!

Edit: 300 posts! I vote we use sorbet for this occasion, as it is too warm for cake here.

Spoiler:
Last edited by taixzo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Any thoughts about the small structure just behind Beanie? Looks like there are some other interesting articles about. (Hopefully they'll discuss the names of them as they learn to communicate.)
I highlighted a few here:
beaniescamp.png

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:of course, this makes me a good target for blackmail, better load up on cupcakes and whatnot

Cupcakes no can be given without the Cardinal. :evil: These cupcakes will eat your soul. Watch out.

jovialbard wrote:If I were creating a language, I would make my alphabet phonetic. It's simpler, and having a non-phonetic alphabet generally implies the creation of several different language origins, which would make the problem more complex.

This reminds me of the Chronicler in the Kingkiller seires (Name of the Wind)... having devised his own short-hand so he can write as fast as people speak. It's phonetic. That's all I had to add to that discussion. :oops:

BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, so if we can see two beanies in this ONG, where did the third one go?

Looks like a hut-type-thing on the far right of the scene. Like Anakin Skywalker's home on Tatooine.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Yikes, I don't think I want soul-eating cupcakes. :shock:

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What is that on the ground at the foot of the ladder? The thing that looks like a large shell? I think it might be a striped beanie.

I think the white thing might be a glass jar/bottle of some sort. But yeah, the thing under the ladder is ε, and also the grey thing on top of the tower to the
right of the telescope...

Oh, I wasn't talking about the white object, I was talking about the little speck of white along the edge of the frameline surrounded by black. (Too many things!)

The thing that looks gray at the top of the tower might be something like a white book with black stripes indicating pages - drawn in monotone but appears gray in this size.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:

Off frame to the right I assume. They seem to walk quickly.

Or into one the huts (structures?) we see on the right?

I see that as a nice, neat way of doing it, as opposed to using super-scripts or sub-scripts. I tried using sub-scripts in a quote in the "wrote section" and the BBcode rendered it as wiki. This (M#) would make it usable anywhere.
Maybe we could also use "G#" for Geekwagon and "A#" for aubronwood.
And the assumption that no prefix would mean mscha's for when someone forgets?

Edit
not a ninja, throwing out my own thoughts. (However great minds think alike.......then where does that leave you, pelrigg?
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Between the Beanies and Cuegan...

Is that an unfinished tower really far off, or just a telescope on tripod at eye height?

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
fhorn wrote:of course, this makes me a good target for blackmail, better load up on cupcakes and whatnot

Cupcakes no can be given without the Cardinal. :evil: These cupcakes will eat your soul. Watch out.

Spoiler:

oh, your Cardinalship, how could I have failed to procure my Briberycakes from your Holy Bakery? Please don't alert the Grand Grim Inquisireaper!
man this blackmail stuff sure is tricky

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Definitely a lot of miscellaneous equipment, boxes, stacks of things, a step-stool for the scope...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
Spoiler:

Whoa!
*air guitar* Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

It might be too warm for you, taixzo, but I already had this one ready for you, and it's a shame to let it go to waste.
Happy 300th!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I wasn't talking about the white object, I was talking about the little speck of white along the edge of the frameline surrounded by black. (Too many things!)

Oh... I don't see it...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Between the Beanies and Cuegan...

Is that an unfinished tower really far off, or just a telescope on tripod at eye height?

My guess is tripod. We haven't been able to see much depth in the comic before.

Also, welcome, NetWeasel! :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Has anyone found part of a frame matching the Lucky-attack preview mustard yet? I just checked the previous tower and this one and neither looks like it could fit, but it's something to keep in mind.

I also think the grey thing looks like a book. Maybe it's some sort of almanac to interpret the stars, or the manual for the survey thingy.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

So perhaps the beanies are trying to solve the sea question too? But with more sophisticated equipment than our heroes who just had an eroding sandcastle to track the rise.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I wasn't talking about the white object, I was talking about the little speck of white along the edge of the frameline surrounded by black. (Too many things!)

Oh... I don't see it...

Embiggen!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

WhiteDot.png
WhiteDot.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 12146 times

redundant28.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

foilman wrote:So perhaps the beanies are trying to solve the sea question too? But with more sophisticated equipment than our heroes who just had an eroding sandcastle to track the rise.
Or, maybe they are causing the sea to rise, for reasons that will become clear if we wait for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
foilman wrote:So perhaps the beanies are trying to solve the sea question too? But with more sophisticated equipment than our heroes who just had an eroding sandcastle to track the rise.
Or, maybe they are causing the sea to rise, for reasons that will become clear if we wait for it.

ImageImageImageImage ImageImage - ImageImageImage Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImage

Translation:
Spoiler:
See that sandcastle - wouldn't it be funny if we made the Sea rise and wiped it out?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Oh... I don't see it...

Embiggen!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

WhiteDot.png

redundant28.png

Aha, thanks! I now see it in the original although it's barely a different shade to the black... Molpy burrowing underground?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Has anyone found part of a frame matching the Lucky-attack preview mustard yet? I just checked the previous tower and this one and neither looks like it could fit, but it's something to keep in mind.

I also think the grey thing looks like a book. Maybe it's some sort of almanac to interpret the stars, or the manual for the survey thingy.

Or an English-Beanish dictionary.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Oh... I don't see it...

Embiggen!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

WhiteDot.png

redundant28.png

Wow! I had to zoom in on my Preview to it's max, until I was able to see those two pixels. And on my screen they be gray.
Good eyes, BlitzGirl.....

EDA
Congrats on 300, taixzo.
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”