1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sford

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby sford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 am UTC

It's a bit silly since this is "just" a web comic, but my heart is genuinely warmed by the brotherhood (as somebody else called it).

I'm tired. Molpy down.

photocredit: http://joshbergeron.photoshelter.com/im ... dOLNHnIDQ0

Eternal Density

He stealthily slunk around looking for the perfect spot.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:47 am UTC

No Megan, speaking slowly and pointing doesn't make people understand your language :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Dracomax

Re: He stealthily slunk around looking for the perfect spot.

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:No Megan, speaking slowly and pointing doesn't make people understand your language :P

actually, given enough time and repitition, it can. it's not all that far from how we learn our first languaGE.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:56 am UTC

Helps to speak louder, too.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:00 am UTC

interupONG

Loooong day
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:03 am UTC

(Not sure if this has been said yet, since I mostly scan read)I am pretty sure that a open circle at the end of beanish language character (like this "o") is a "?" and a line across a character is a "." and could be added to any character.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Loooong day

Me too. Molpy down.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Eternal Density

And then... aha!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:No Megan, speaking slowly and pointing doesn't make people understand your language :P

actually, given enough time and repitition, it can. it's not all that far from how we learn our first languaGE.

Yeah, true. I meant on the first or second try.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Sheesh - Megan yawns and OTTers start dropping like flies. Must be contagious.
I hope we aren't in for another Long Night (seems unlikely, as both halves of Cuegan are sleepy at the same Time).

And yes, adnapemit, we seem to have figured out that the degree marking and the horizontal line are punctuation. :) (Likely question mark and period, as you point out.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 am UTC

I wonder if night is coming soon or if Cuegan just didn't get enough sleep?

Molpy down.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Out of curiousity, has anyone measured how long the OTT is in terms of words or characters? I wonder how it compares to the holy texts of other major religions...
Lost forever in time...

Eternal Density

It was the perfect place for a molpy to hide.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 am UTC

You're making me want to take a post-lunch nap. Or a siesta.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Sheesh - Megan yawns and OTTers start dropping like flies. Must be contagious.
I hope we aren't in for another Long Night (seems unlikely, as both halves of Cuegan are sleepy at the same Time).

And yes, adnapemit, we seem to have figured out that the degree marking and the horizontal line are punctuation. :) (Likely question mark and period, as you point out.)

Not likely, I would say. Even if they don't sleep simultaneously, it's likely to be a catnap in the middle of the day, and the Beanie Bunch will remain quite active (And maybe giving us more text to translate!), poking and prodding their things and sending out search parties to scout out the heavily fortified castle they saw through their telescope near the beach.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 am UTC

[randomofftopic] There's a molpytoad in my kitchen! That's what happens when the back door gets left open for too long... I shall name him Trevor. [/randomofftopic]

Hmm, looks like Megball need to coma... can't have been that long since the Long Night can it? 0.o
But I also need to coma. BlitzGirl's right, it does seem to be contagious... Molpy down.
Wow yeah, that's four OTTers molpying down in less than half an NP... definitely something being put in the water in this place!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

robbak

Postby robbak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Of course, the way to start such language-discerning is to trade names. "My name is Cueball." "My name is Megan." So either we will soon know what their names are, or GLR will keep up the pretense.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:

I wonder if night is coming soon or if Cuegan just didn't get enough sleep?

Let's see... The Long Night lasted about 170 frames (from Cuegan's entrance to when they "molpied up" and left). It's been about 150 frames since then. So with the concept that elapsed time is fluid inside the comic, plus that they pretty much climbed most of their day; so yeah, it's late enough in the day for them to be tired. And remember Megan said they'd get to the second tower "tonight".

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 am UTC

I guess I'm the only one who thinks they're yawning because of something that was in what they just drank?

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 am UTC

<de-lurking/>

OK, Beanies give both of them a drink, then both of them yawn. Megan yawns mid-sentence. Doesn't seem like it's been very long since the long night...has anyone else thought that maybe Cuegan have just been drugged? Maybe they get "retconned" back to the beach and start all over again, not remembering already building a sandcastle and not remembering that they had already found other rivers. Maybe the sea tides are normal, but Cuegan simply don't remember the last high tide. Are they doomed to repeat this trip, over and over?

:P

<lurking/>

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Could there have been something in the drink to make them drowsy?

Eternal Density

(in which ED completely misses the point)

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:...So with the concept that elapsed time is fluid inside the comic...
So that's why the sea is rising!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 am UTC

From the seaONG
Have to sleepONG

ETA: What is cueball doing with his arms?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Any wagers on how long it will take the Beanie Bunch to lead Cuegan up to the telescope and show them the current state of the Sea1?

I'll put my money in the pot for 20 newpix from now. But instead of showing Cuegan the state of the sea, they'll be displaying a party complete with pizza topping cakes, dilgunnerangs, cupcakes, molpies and hats. It'll be a veritable Mad Hatter Alice in Wonderland adventure to the right of the frame.

Also.. everyone say hi to Lina. Language must be bringing in all the OTTer friends. First kenmelken, now me. :mrgreen:

Coma time... molpy down. Image

*chirp* *yawn*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:08 am UTC

thirds wrote:Could there have been something in the drink to make them drowsy?

That's something I didn't think of.* Of course that could take Time down a even darker path than it's been on since Lucky attacked.

*I know others (who will remain un-named) predicted doom-and-gloom when the Beanies showed up (besides they do it every other scene change. "Cry Wolf" and all that), but to see it actually happen? Whoa!

ETA to your ETA
ChronosDragon wrote:ETA: What is cueball doing with his arms?

I think the four of them have been eating. (I was looking to see {on zoom-in} if Beanie-2 [The Leader?] had been drinking too, but it does look like all of them have been munching on whatever Beanie-1 got out of that covered barrel.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Out of curiousity, has anyone measured how long the OTT is in terms of words or characters? I wonder how it compares to the holy texts of other major religions...
Some analysis has been done, but it is not so simple, as much of the OTT gets quoted.

Kieryn's Time dedication
sciscitor's charts
jjjdavidson's analysis

I've probably missed some.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Uh oh. Cueball is about to try drawing pictures of their story, causing the comic to loop.

But after drawing the entire story, he wouldn't then have the character in his story draw a story-within-the-story. So it won't loop repeatedly.

He would, and it would, if he gets really carried away. (Which he obviously does, if he draws 2400+ frames.) The pictures we saw could even have started several levels deep already.

Well, read the rest of my post that you quoted :D I suggested that they are already (at least) 1 level deep, and that's why they are stick figures.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:15 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:

That's something I didn't think of.* Of course that could take Time down a even darker path than it's been on since Lucky attacked.

I guess if we get a fade-to-black... we'll know. Dastardly Beanies!

Valarya wrote:Also.. everyone say hi to Lina. Language must be bringing in all the OTTer friends. First kenmelken, now me. :mrgreen:

Hi, Lina! Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Language must be bringing in all the OTTer friends. First kenmelken, now me.

It's a party! I brought guacamole.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Hi, Lina!

Okay, so I've caught up and have counted responses to my earlier proposition about declaring a new eon, splitting the current era down the middle to do so.
The votes were as such:

NO: 0
MAYBE: 1
YES: 5

So... seeing as there really isn't any opposition and a fair amount of support, I'm thinking I have some wiki work to do?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Blindposting after a long day at work because I'm super honoured to be hatted by ChronosDragon! I love that he put the Vancouver 2010 olympics inuksuk in the hat logo <3 My equimolpy really feels at home in the OTT now.

Many many thanks!

And now coma, ketchup will have to wait until tomorrow. Molpy down!
Spoiler:

irino

Postby irino » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:

Alright, so maybe the beanies have a really bad sense of hospitality. And it really does seem like they drank something; people don't usually simultaneously coma mid-conversation.
But who in all Time would just conveniently have a bowl of Lunesta in front of their house??

Oh, hey there! I'm irino.

Exodies

Re: Wait for it.

Postby Exodies » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:35 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

*Kat* wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:Why must the GLR, Creator of Time, test our resolve to wait for it? Tis his ineffable will, of course, I know, I know.

Because he does what he wants, and it's not our job to question his will.
What?

I get that the religion thing is a joke, but isn't this taking things a bit too far? I imagine that if Randall was at the head of his own religion his first commandment would be "question EVERYTHING".
Spoiler:
Is that not the running theme of the OTC? Why are Megan and Cueball there? Because they had a question and set off in search for an answer. Then they had another question and another and another.

Tis our job to question EVERYTHING. Including WTF is Cueball STILL SLEEPING? He's slept way longer than Megan did. Its gotta be close to mid-morning where they are.

Whoops, I've gone off topic.

Where was I?

Oh yeah.

QUESTION EVERYTHING.

I'm curious, would you have a question for your own past self? The one who posted this:

*Kat*, Newpage 250 wrote:
Flotter wrote:Does that mean the end of Time is near?

Randall only knows.

There is a difference between acknowledging that there are some questions only Randall can answer and telling someone that it is not our job to question Randall's intentions.

I say "acknowledging" because I had been wondering the same thing as Flotter.

{P993}
Is this how flames start? I agree with cKat and find the responses to its post more aggressive than normal.
As a kvetcheruper I don't have to wait for it, I can just read on...

Oh by the way - no typos in this post. It's so annoying when one's intentions aren't clear. (A spelling mistake could ruin everything after saying this)
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

Grapevines!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:41 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
Megan wrote:and I saw flashes of light.
Something glinting.

Could it be the sun reflecting off another surveyorscope!?

Does this count as calling it? I'm not sure if anyone pointed this one out yet.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 am UTC

marchlight wrote:Blindposting after a long day at work because I'm super honoured to be hatted by ChronosDragon! I love that he put the Vancouver 2010 olympics inuksuk in the hat logo <3 My equimolpy really feels at home in the OTT now.

Thanks for the compliments :D It's my pleasure.

mathrec wrote:
Valarya wrote:Language must be bringing in all the OTTer friends. First kenmelken, now me.

It's a party! I brought guacamole.

Ooh, a party? With guacamole and potentially other mexican-themed snacks? Well, I have the perfect thing - my third DragonDashery, a Sombrero Galaxy hat for sford

(Note: this one isn't custom drawn, but it is custom-photoshopped and when I thought of the idea of hatting M51 with another galaxy I couldn't resist)

AluisioASG

I miss them.

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Happy future-500th Valarya!
Spoiler:

And with that, molpies down.
Sleep.jpg
Oh, fate is so cruel. Two dead, two unknown, one safe.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 am UTC

poxic wrote:Helps to speak louder, too.

No! No, it does not!
Speak quieter.

It is easier to learn a language that is not being Yelled.
Once the language is learned it is hard to understand it when it is being Yelled.

Spoiler:
Orders can be Yelled and Understood at High Volume.
Orders are a language that we learn to so we can use it at High Volume.

Back to a conversation I do not understand.
Mopies?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Cuegan needs to molpy down before lONG...

P.S. Wiki now reflects the new divisions for eons/eras.

ETA: By the way... the picture changed a minute early for me. (!!!???) That's definitely a first. Has the ONG ever come early before?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Yes, I noticed a couple of ONGs ago that the newpix appeared about a minute before it usually does (at least on my end of things).
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 am UTC

addams wrote:

No! No, it does not!
Speak quieter.

It is easier to learn a language that is not being Yelled.
Once the language is learned it is hard to understand it when it is being Yelled.

Spoiler:
Orders can be Yelled and Understood at High Volume.
Orders are a language that we learn to so we can use it at High Volume.

Mopies?

I do think poxic was making a joke. (you know, how some people think that if they SHOUT they'll be understood.)
But, you're right. 'Tis better to speak softly when learning a new language.

Re Molpy (pl. molpies): from the Time-wiki: A term originally coined to refer to one or more animals of unknown form appearing in the comic, usually just as a change in a few pixels from one frame to the next. The term is a combination of mole and compy. The first molpy sighting occured in frame 1350. The term has come to be used in what sometimes appears to be a hap-hazard manner to append to or combine with animal names, regardless of whether they are recognizable as a planet-earth form of life.

ETA
{It has taken on some side meanings; like "Molpy Up" = "Saddle Up" and "Molpy down" = time to coma (sleep)}

Which this waiter reluctantly does. Gravity is increasing towards to coma-slab. Keep Waiting For It!
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Out of curiousity, has anyone measured how long the OTT is in terms of words or characters? I wonder how it compares to the holy texts of other major religions...
Some analysis has been done, but it is not so simple, as much of the OTT gets quoted.

Kieryn's Time dedication
sciscitor's charts
jjjdavidson's analysis

I've probably missed some.

Jose

Hmmm...I couldn't find any information on the average length of posts, unfortunately (although admittedly I wasn't as thorough as I could have been :oops: ). The OTT is probably longer than the 165k word long Qur'an and the 511k word long (Sikh) Granth Sahib. If each of the 42 thousand-odd posts is at least 19 words long on average, then it is longer than the Bible, which is about 775k words long. OTT posts would have to average about 38 words apiece to outpace the (Hindu) Mahabharata, which has reigned as the longest religious text in the world for at least 1600 years. The OTT should overtake the Mahabharata for this distinction soon, if it has not already.

That's enough research for one night...molpy down.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Charm Quark on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:13 am UTC

addams wrote:

No! No, it does not!
Speak quieter.

Yet it's a very natural reaction. People will invariably sooner or later start yelling when trying to explain something to somebody who doesn't unsterstand their language...

Mopies?

MOLPIES!
Go Minim go!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”