1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CasCat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Since it's been well-established that time vs. newpix is highly variable, I predict, in Bayesian fashion :P , that hundreds of years passed during that single dark frame. Cuegan and the Beanies were in a stasis Bobble and have just emerged to the new time.

Prove me wrong :mrgreen:

It's not an absolute proof, but according to the frame difference on Geekwagon the plants didn't change during the black frame.

Which, of course, leads one to the obvious conclusion that those are not plants; they're bronze statues of plants.... :lol:
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

A quick, non-language way to explain Cuegan's quest:

Point back the way you came, about twenty feet. Then stretch your point longer, then longer, then far as you can.

Pour water in hand, point to it, slowly raise it over your head, then long point back.

Any intellegent Beanie should get that.

ETA: I seem to have been Poped. OK.... I decree non-language pantomime. Describe.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Motions towards Netweasel's avatar. Points at own eyes. Raises arms, shrugs shoulders, and raises eyebrows. Flails wildly in front of Netweasel's face. Awaits response. Gets mauled.
He/Him/His Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:A quick, non-language way to explain Cuegan's quest:

They could also draw with sticks in the earth. First, their two silhouettes sitting on the beach, then the water rising while they made sandcastles, tyhen their walk to understand where the water is coming, etc. Doing this properly would take er... 2600 frames or so ?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I've missed a ton of pages of late, so did anyone point out that this weeks what if is totally a shout out to mscha's domination over the OTT? It's all related.

Aaaaand he mentions Madagascar in one of the hover texts!! It's ALL related..

Kazza3 wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention it (I think), but during the black frame did a night pass?

Looks that way! And now one of the Beanies and Cueball are up getting breakfast. I predict they sit and eat next frame. :wink:
Last edited by Valarya on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Preidction: While trying to communicate via pantomime, Cueball will accidently sell Megan to the Beanies for two buckets and a pocket comb.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:Motions towards Netweasel's avatar. Points at own eyes. Raises arms, shrugs shoulders, and raises eyebrows. Flails wildly in front of Netweasel's face. Awaits response. Gets mauled.

Well, even a blind bear can find a meal now and then...
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

My-sister-the-lurker points out that the beanies have pump tech. Not that we thought (after seeing the surveying(?) equipment, that they were non-technical....) But that barrel(?) dispenses water from the top.

(All parens carefully closed.)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Prediction:
The Beanies are actually 1263 dimensional aliens. They take Quegan on a tour through time and space (and several other dimensions). This tour will be to complex to show in 2 dimensions. Thus Time ends.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Valarya

Re: I miss them.

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Happy future-500th Valarya!
Spoiler:

Thanks Aluisio! :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ETA: wow, can't believe I forgot the:
Spoiler:
obligatory *penis!* I never forget the penis.
Last edited by Valarya on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Re: I miss them.

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Happy future-500th Valarya!
Spoiler:

Thanks Aluisio! :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And happy PRESENT 500th Valarya!

Since you have enough cake for now, I'm sending a truck full of ice cream. Hope it gets there before it melts!

Spoiler:
Oops.

Time after Time...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction: The Beanies are actually 1263 dimensional aliens. They take Quegan on a tour through time and space (and several other dimensions). This tour will be to complex to show in 2 dimensions. Thus Time ends.

NBPETP Fan Club meeting minutes, 10 July 2013: oooh, aliens! *fans erupt in cheers*

eta: congrats on your 500, Valarya!
500.jpg
Last edited by fhorn on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Preidction: While trying to communicate via pantomime, Cueball will accidently sell Megan to the Beanies for two buckets and a pocket comb.

Sounds like a good deal

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Preidction: While trying to communicate via pantomime, Cueball will accidently sell Megan to the Beanies for two buckets and a pocket comb.

Sounds like a good deal

No, it's a terrible idea! Why would Cueball need a comb?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:No, it's a terrible idea! Why would Cueball need a comb?

So he could trade it later for a watch fob?
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

bargainONG chip
Time after Time...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:bargainONG chip
Spoiler:

My prediction: We're about to have an attempt at a language lesson. Or perhaps charades...

(Tried this a moment ago and deleted it; all my text ended in the right margin, above my avatar. Very puzzling.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Hmmm...I couldn't find any information on the average length of posts, unfortunately (although admittedly I wasn't as thorough as I could have been :oops: ).
When there were 668 pages in the thread, I did this analysis, if you can call it that. Two million divided by forty posts per page and divided by 668 pages yields an average post length of 75 (original) words. Not every post counts as religious text though, there is a lot of apocrapha in the thread too. We'd need a diet of molpies to sort it all out.

... to sift through the evidence of the rising sea?

ImageImageImage ImageImage
could be:
Good night.
In here
This way
Careful
Watch your head.

More "creative" possibilities do not seem supported by subsequently depicted action. We'll just have to... well, you know.

CasCat wrote:(Tried this a moment ago and deleted it; all my text ended in the right margin, above my avatar. Very puzzling.)
That (Frankenpost) happens when tags are not properly nested.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

My prediction: We're about to have an attempt at a language lesson. Or perhaps charades...
(Tried this a moment ago and deleted it; all my text ended in the right margin, above my avatar. Very puzzling.)

Not if they are both guys. We are perfectly happy sitting and eating in silence (even when we do speak the same language}.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:

You are a surprisingly traditional weasel-bear.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

No word yet as to whether the sea is rising, if they plan to use bukkits, or the possibility that anyone speaks Beanong

ETA:
ggh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

ggh, meet O. Henry.
Last edited by fhorn on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:And now one of the Beanies and Cueball are up getting breakfast. I predict they sit and eat next frame. :wink:

Man, I'm good. 8-)

Thanks for all the 500 posts and treats! I'll just set BlitzGirl's Redundakitties on that ice cream truck.. and maybe take a lick or two myself.

sford

Postby sford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

I hope this hasn't already been suggested, but...

I think those are two books stacked on the platform (just right of the inner tower).

It's probably too much to hope that they (the people, not the books) are from different regions, who share a common non-phonetic written language, but have mutually unintelligible spoken languages. Like Chinese, I think. (Not likely since the script appears to be syllabic, but maybe there's a different informal phonetic script? Is Japanese writing like that - one form phonetic or at least syllabic, the other not?)

Edit: clarifications

Edit 2: Prediction: they play pat-a-cake!
Last edited by sford on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
CasCat wrote:(Tried this a moment ago and deleted it; all my text ended in the right margin, above my avatar. Very puzzling.)
That (Frankenpost) happens when tags are not properly nested.

Jose

Good to know. I'd spoilered the ONG; I might have missed a bracket somewhere. Thanks for explaining!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:No word yet as to whether the sea is rising, if they plan to use bukkits, or the possibility that anyone speaks Beanong

ETA:
ggh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

ggh, meet O. Henry.

That's what I meant. That tale occupies the same region of my noggin as Norman Rockwell's pics, and it's a neighborhood that I don't see many OTTers wandering about in.

ETA: ahh - must coma. May your waiting be filled with stuff that doesn't feel like waiting. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Happy 500th (well, 501st) post, Valarya! May there be many more posts (and cupcakes) in the future!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
fhorn wrote:No word yet as to whether the sea is rising, if they plan to use bukkits, or the possibility that anyone speaks Beanong
ETA:
ggh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

ggh, meet O. Henry.

That's what I meant. That tale occupies the same region of my noggin as Norman Rockwell's pics, and it's a neighborhood that I don't see many OTTers wandering about in.

ETA: ahh - must coma. May your waiting be filled with stuff that doesn't feel like waiting. :)

ah, I get it, sorry I misunderstood! Traditional, yes, but for me it was an early introduction to the idea of a crushing sort of irony, and I was suddenly aware that everything was not as it seemed... Just the sort of eye-opener a good piece of art should be! Is there a Dark Rockwell, I wonder?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

sford wrote:I hope this hasn't already been suggested, but...

I think those are two books stacked on the platform (just right of the inner tower).

Interesting. When I saw those two stacked things (that one of the Beanie bunch was messing around with earlier), I immediately thought of a CO2 canister. Maybe they're doing whippets up there and looking through their machinery at all the 4 stuff.

eta: Thanks mscha! :mrgreen:
eta2: I also forgot to applaud yappo for his Dream Theater filk. Wow. :shock:

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:A quick, non-language way to explain Cuegan's quest:

They could also draw with sticks in the earth. First, their two silhouettes sitting on the beach, then the water rising while they made sandcastles, tyhen their walk to understand where the water is coming, etc. Doing this properly would take er... 2600 frames or so ?

I laughed.

CasCat wrote:My-sister-the-lurker points out that the beanies have pump tech. Not that we thought (after seeing the surveying(?) equipment, that they were non-technical....) But that barrel(?) dispenses water from the top.

Interesting point. They have to sit on buckets but they have otherwise good technical skills.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

sford wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I really wanted to see what the Beanie is doing, so I embiggened it as best I could:

Spoiler:

@BlitzGirl: That is some amazing image biggification! A straight zoom gives a blurry picture. Is this some kind of pictoshop enhancement?

I am surely no BlitzGirl, but I use the Lanczos2 filter (in FastStone Image Viewer (free), but I'm sure other software supports it as well) to get the best results on OTC frames.
WIth a 1000% zoom, that gives:
Spoiler:
With a bit of additional sharpening, you get:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ShpONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

About to be learnONGing the Beanish for "water"

ETA: np2700!
Have some cake, OTC!
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Ok, I've been working on it for awhile now, and I think I've uncovered the secret of Beanish...

Spoiler:
larson.png
larson.png (35.09 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:ETA: I seem to have been Poped. OK.... I decree non-language pantomime. Describe.

Ooh!
*Makes counterclockwise hand motion*
*Points to water*
*Makes square with fingers. Holds square in front of left eye. Puts one finger down as if pressing a button*
*Reaches into pocket. Hands over pictures*
*Bends over as if picking up a handful of sand*
*Places hand in front of mouth. Blows away imaginary sand*
*Frowns*

suzi

Postby suzi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

ARE WE GOING TO LEARN A WORD??????

I keep dreading that the Beanies are going to kill them, and I don't know why. They haven't done anything suspicious.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

One thing I haven't seen since Cueball got up is anyone trying to ID the already awake Beanie.

Back on NP 1050, I did a comparison of the Beanies and I think showed you can tell the difference between them. Anyway in comparing this morning's Beanie to my Rogues Gallery, I think 'e is Beanie-1, based on the hair style.
Also I think we do need to temporally name them to make life easier. So how about Ali (for alpha, the first one we saw), Leader (for Beanie-2, since 'e took charge of the situation during the first meeting and was given the place of honor at the Tower Plateau) and Runner (for Beanie-3 since 'e ran to get the Healing Paste and perhaps has gone to the village to tell the rest of the Beanie tribe that there are visitors).

Tags: <Rogue's Gallery> <Beanie Gallery 1>

Spoiler:
2698-resize.png

Also a quick quote about mornings.

Edit
Added tag info
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Okay okay. I know how to identify the Beanies when required to:

Eenie beanie biny boe.
catch a molpy by the toe.
If he chirpies, let him go,
Eenie, Beanie, biny, boe.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:One thing I haven't seen since Cueball got up is anyone trying to ID the already awake Beanie.

Back on NP 1050, I did a comparison of the Beanies and I think showed you can tell the difference between them. Anyway in comparing this morning's Beanie to my Rogues Gallery, I think 'e is Beanie-1, based on the hair style.

I'd agree, good job on solving the beanie shell game...

Also I think we do need to temporally name them to make life easier. So how about Ali (for alpha, the first one we saw), Leader (for Beanie-2, since 'e took charge of the situation during the first meeting and was given the place of honor at the Tower Plateau) and Runner

Don't know, doesn't sound very beanish to me... Isn't Beanie-1..3 easy enough?
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:One thing I haven't seen since Cueball got up is anyone trying to ID the already awake Beanie.

Also I think we do need to temporally name them to make life easier. So how about Ali (for alpha, the first one we saw), Leader (for Beanie-2, since 'e took charge of the situation during the first meeting and was given the place of honor at the Tower Plateau) and Runner (for Beanie-3 since 'e ran to get the Healing Paste and perhaps has gone to the village to tell the rest of the Beanie tribe that there are visitors).
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
2698-resize.png

Also a quick quote about mornings.

I think we did name them already - Beanie-1 is Moe, and the other two are either Manny and Jack or Larry and Curly.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
ggh wrote:
ETA:
ggh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

ggh, meet O. Henry.

ah, I get it, sorry I misunderstood! Traditional, yes, but for me it was an early introduction to the idea of a crushing sort of irony, and I was suddenly aware that everything was not as it seemed... Just the sort of eye-opener a good piece of art should be! Is there a Dark Rockwell, I wonder?

And for the record, I included the pocket comb in the exchange in the first place, as a deliberate nod to the classic story.
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”