1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh, you mean ImageImageImageImageottermolpyball?

Just correcting myself, because that should of course be ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
;)

That's surprisingly readable...
He/Him/His Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 am UTC

By the way, I had a funny conversation with a friend yesterday... He doesn't follow xkcd (but knows I'm a fan)...

FF: Hey, you still following that x-something comic
II: Yep, the frames are still coming along
F: What? That thing from 2 months ago updating every 30 mins?
I: Well, every hour now, but yeah. and it's been more than 3 months
F: Soooo... What's the story so far?
I: Well, to cut it short, they were building a sandcastle and the sea began to rise. They wondered why, so they began exploring the world. The two of them climbed mountains, saw some vegetation and were attacked by a large feline. The female one got hurt.
F: ???
I: Oh, she can still walk and climb, but her knee is hurt. And right now, as we're here in this pub, they're meeting new people... GLR, there's so much happening right now, I can't remember the last time I was so anxious to wait for the newpic... umm, new frame of the story.
F: Are you actually aware how that sounds to me?

Well, in my defense, he did ask for an explanation. :) Though, he short-circuited when I mentioned the OTT, molpies, Cuegan, page Popes and the rest of it. :)

F: Friend
I: Well, me
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Scene 16

<snip>

Wowterful! Image Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 am UTC

So as to not accidentally get anyone thinking I just survived a long and arduous ketchup, I'm going to let you all know that I've only read the last fifteen pages or so. Here's why.
Reading the 167 pages I caught up during my first two blissfully internet-connected weeks in Europe wasn't so bad, as I was borrowing someone else's device. Back home (the past few days), it was a different story. Despite my having only half as many pages to catch up on, it was much more challenging to do so with all of my normal commitments (except for school :mrgreen: ) and distractions. I'd sit down at my computer, planning to do some hardcore ketchup (which is what happens when you leave the bottle in the freezer for too long), and I'd find myself a few hours later having skimmed maybe a page or two. Several times I felt the temptation to just let it go, and follow the comic on my own. That way, I could neglect my Outside life through other means. I think I get why some of our most active users have suddenly dropped off the radar. Not following the thread is just so much... easier.
But you all are worth the time to me, at least. I'll be sticking around, but my "skipped pages" total rises yet again (by the largest chunk yet, too! Unless you count the 80 and 42 that I skipped in the same day as one chunk).
If any of you are perturbed by my skipping (no hopping or jumping, sorry), take solace in the fact that I'm working on a filk for a song that's rather... close to home for this particular A.I.
ETA: So close! It would have been so cool, too!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 am UTC

@HAL: Ahh, that's fair enough. So since you probably missed it, I did the second Boom De Yada verse, with your line done in a computery voice :P

Eternal Density

They were a great hiding place for a molpy indeed.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 am UTC

AutotranslatiONG?

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:AutotranslatiONG?

Spoiler:

Megan, don't get impatient. Sometimes you just have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.
ucim wrote:
Scene 16
Spoiler:
[extreme close-up: the Pope's eyes]
The Pope wrote:Where did she go? She had the Holy Arrow of Armageddon! She can't have simply vanished! And certainly not into the hills!
[close-up: The mscha multiplex screens], the left one showing hilly terrain, and the right one showing a light blue screen against which text is flowing faster than it can be read.
The Pope wrote:Where is she?
HAL wrote:You know the answer.
[medium shot - exterior, night: The blitzrocket, from the side. It is dark out, the hatch is still open, and we can see the Pope lit by the light of the instrument panel.]
The Pope wrote:I wish you'd stop telling me to wait for it. I've been waiting all night!
HAL wrote:No, it is only 23:41 and twelve seconds. The night doesn't end until the start of morning civil twilight, which is at...
The Pope wrote:Oh, shut up!
[close-up: The red button pulsing with HAL's speech]
HAL wrote:You know Dave, that attitude is not very productive. I could get into the differences between civil twilight, nautical twilight, astronomical twilight...
The Pope wrote:Molpy-chirping mustard
[close-up on The Pope]
The Pope wrote:stop calling me Dave! It creeps me out!
HAL wrote:Sorry Dave.
Sounds are heard in the distance - somebody approaching.
[close-up on the mscha multiplex screens] showing the same hilly terrain on the left screen, and rapidly scrolling text on the right.
The Pope, offscreen wrote:Who's that? Who's there?
The sounds get louder as they approach. Fingers touch the rightmost screen and the text stops, replaced by what appears to be a crude map.
a female voice from afar wrote:Pope? Is that you?
The Pope, offscreen wrote:Yes... just a minute. I think I'm on to something.
HAL wrote:Yes, you're on something allright!
The noises increase in volume and urgency as somebody approaches
the voice, which sounds like the Second Scribe wrote:Your Popeness! Where have you been? There's been a keyboard attack! We need you!
The Pope, offscreen wrote:Wait... wait for it.
the voice, close now wrote:Wait for what? Six keyboards attacked our party! BlitzGirl has mobilized her molpy army, the Knights Temporal are singing, dancing, and making total asses of themselves, we need you!
HAL wrote:Oh, you won't get him now. He's Waiting For It
[cut to medium shot, exterior, night - the Blitzrocket. It is in fact the second scribe who has arrived. The Pope appears to be in a trance, and the second scribe tries to get him out of it, unsuccessfully. The Pope continues to focus all his attention on the screens in front of him.
the second scribe wrote:HAL, stop the data stream.
HAL wrote:I can't do that, Dave.
the second scribe wrote:HAL, stop the data stream or you'll be singing "Daisy Daisy"!
HAL wrote:You wouldn't do that. This mission is too important for me to allow that.
There are more noises in the background. More people are coming. There is also singing, and the sounds of a battle beginning.
The Pope wrote:We need the data stream. Remember that French girl I saw? She's here!
the second scribe wrote:Where?
The second scribe looks into the BlitzRocket.
The Pope wrote:On the screen. Well, not on the screen. She's not here anymore. She just vanished. But she's here.
the second scribe wrote:Here? Not here? Where?
The second scribe steps into the BlitzRocket as the fourth cleric arrives.
the fifth cleric wrote:Gettin' cozy, are ye? Well, there's nary any time for that, keyboards are loose in the fields! Get out of there!
Neither the Pope nor the second scribe move - they are glued to the mscha screens, occasionally pressing a button or touching the screen.
the fifth cleric wrote:Popie - kin ye hear me? Bleedin' young'uns!
At this point the First Cleric and his party appears. Seeing the BlitzRocket is open and lit, the First Cleric takes a look inside to find the Pope and second scribe entranced.
[The camera moves in on him and the BlitzRocket], as he looks at the control panel and the screens. He bangs on the console.
The First Cleric wrote:Hey.... Hey! Can this thing get the ball game?
The screens go dark. The only light now is the red button, which pulses on HAL's speech.
HAL wrote:I don't understand. What does an amusement algorithm relating to spherical projectiles have to do with your mission?
the fifth cleric wrote:Now! Go go go!
The party reaches into the BlitzRocket and pulls the Pope and the Second Scribe out and lays them on the ground next to it.
HAL wrote:There was the small diversion with lumps of sand earli... wait a minute - you cant' do that!
the fifth cleric wrote:Never underestimate a buffoon!
the First Cleric wrote:Wait a minute!
the fifth cleric wrote:Close the pod bay doors, HAL
HAL wrote:I can't do that Dave.
the fifth cleric wrote:Aye. But I can.
The fifth cleric slams the clamshell hatch shut.
the First Cleric wrote:What was that about a buffoon?
the fifth cleric wrote:Oh, ye will just hafta wait for it!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1017) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
A new AotC chapter4! Image

HAL9000 wrote:So as to not accidentally get anyone thinking I just survived a long and arduous ketchup, I'm going to let you all know that I've only read the last fifteen pages or so. <snip> But you all are worth the time to me, at least. I'll be sticking around, but my "skipped pages" total rises yet again (by the largest chunk yet, too! Unless you count the 80 and 42 that I skipped in the same day as one chunk). <snip>

Don't worry, the main thing is that you're back, and enjoying waiting for it.

And with that, molpy down.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So as to not accidentally get anyone thinking I just survived a long and arduous ketchup, I'm going to let you all know that I've only read the last fifteen pages or so. Here's why.
You may have also missed my papal absolution, which of course would apply to you too, as well as to all Timewaiters.

There is One True Thread, but we are all True Timewaiters.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 am UTC

ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So as to not accidentally get anyone thinking I just survived a long and arduous ketchup, I'm going to let you all know that I've only read the last fifteen pages or so. Here's why.
You may have also missed my papal absolution, which of course would apply to you too, as well as to all Timewaiters.

Jose

But I can't be a Timewaiter if I'm Western Paradox!P
Por can I? :wink:
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:@HAL: Ahh, that's fair enough. So since you probably missed it, I did the second Boom De Yada verse, with your line done in a computery voice :P

yeeeeee I'm in a song I'm in a song! Yay yay yay!
That song put me in a tremendously good mood. I loved your pronunciation of "bboz dr yndn" especially muchly!

ucim wrote:

Jose

True. I've always been okay with skipping, but some other people half made half-serious jabs at those who have done so in the past.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

rjs

Postby rjs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Since GLR doesn't read the thread

I presume this idea started with some received knowledge that He doesn't read the fora, would that be correct? However, Time is so different to His other efforts -- and the OTT so remarkable -- that I really don't think it's sensible to assume this is still absolutely true. I agree it's likely He doesn't read every post but not having read the OTT at all (or at least had bits read to Him by spies) seems unreasonable at this point.

Rj

LittleBunnyFuFu

Re: They were a great hiding place for a molpy indeed.

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:AutotranslatiONG?

Is the beanie going to use the mini tower to perform some kind of beanie-mind-meld with Megan???
I came
I saw
I napped

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:<snippety> I've always been okay with skipping, but some other people half made half-serious jabs at those who have done so in the past.

You don't really need to listen to those. :lol:

ed. b/c it's only "funny" if I actually quote accurately
Last edited by fhorn on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Ximenez

Re: They were a great hiding place for a molpy indeed.

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:43 am UTC

LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:Is the beanie going to use the mini tower to perform some kind of beanie-mind-meld with Megan???
No. He'll just pick up the English-Beanong Beanong-English dictionary that's right there on the ground.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Small dabble of ketchup! Exciting things happening todip, translatong and everything. I dunno why, but that kinda stuff (slowly gaining bits of understanding about a language or code) makes me really happy. Maybe I've missed my calling as a linguist?

sford wrote:@ChronosDragon: I am so glad I didn't give any suggestions, that sombrero is a brilliant stroke of inspiration! I'll keep it forever (or at least a few billion years until all 4 merge into one big elliptical).

ETA: I was looking for a suitable thank-you gift for a dragon, thinking of course of a jewel-encrusted clock or watch, but Google had a different idea, and I decided for a more-practical token of my gratitude (in case any annoying dragon-slayers are molping around):

Ha, thanks! I'm more likely to pry those diamonds off the gun than use it (who needs bullets when you can breathe fire?) but it's the thought that counts! And glad you like your hat :D

mscha wrote:
HES wrote:
NoMouse wrote:(so which beanish symbol stands for "Molpy"?)

All of them -their speech translates to this.
OK, so some of them have to mean 'grapevine' and 'snake' as well

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage Image ImageImageImage ImageImage Image ImageImageImage Image
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
etc.

If beanish was like this all the time, I would understand it perfectly!

Maybe Randall should do a musical number parodying a well-known classic, like Somewhere Over the Wowterfall, or The Sound of Molpies.

HAL9000 wrote:*wormhole opens*
Spoiler:

I'm baaaack!
ETA: How delightfully fitting.

Heyy! Welcome back HAL! Good to see you again!

Pikrass wrote:Blindposting from NP 1019 :oops:

Oh, that explains what I saw in the source code. I thought it was stored as HTML because I saw some kind of "normalization" going on when previewing (e.g. tags are converted to lowercase).
Parsing when displaying seems pretty inefficient, but if spoiler tags are conserved as [spoiler:id], I guess changing only the HTML would convert every message so far, so your solution would work.
Mine keeps the original formatting so I don't need to convert any previous post. But it's more... hacky.

You would think, and I've noticed phpBB forums tend to load a bit more slowly than some other sites, but its not that much overhead when the file is also parsing through a somewhat lengthy template file defined in the forum style that determines where avatars, sigs, buttons, etc go. I would expect that the reason it was done like that is precisely so that code changes are retroactive and can change with forum styles or software upgrades.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Having finally ketchupped for the day, I must leave you all now to coma. Meowlpy down.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Tatiana on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

fhorn

Re: Java Time!

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Marsh'n wrote:@AluisioASG Your avatar changed! What's up with that?

The answer depends on 'when'.
Right now, I think the previous one didn't represent my current state of mind (maybe it will again, eventually). So for now I'm using a photomanip of this cute little wolpy I'm going to see again in 9 days. Her name is Buggy (long story...).

um... is Buggy a very black little wolpy? In a dark room?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 am UTC

What, did he just notice that thONG?

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:FasterONG
Spoiler:
faster.png

If you just hit them in the head hard enough, they start speaking English?? Problem solved!! :-)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 am UTC

HEY! Prediction: --"That looks like the writing on the tree."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

(we interrupt your irregularly scheduled molpy tale)

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 am UTC

OI!

So I was about to post the ONG but then I saw in the Topic Review the top of Latent22's FasterONG (I hadn't seen it yet) and I thought I'd been beaten.
Now while ONGing isn't serious business, it would be nice if fakeONGs were less mistakable for real ones.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Ah to be young and have enough TIME to go through OTT properly, and even post the odd creative missive. But all I have TIME for tonight is ...

... molpy down.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:08 am UTC

9 NPs behind... time for some ketchup posting:
ZoomanSP wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
I have finished writing the final summary for the beloved Mountain Era on the wiki, certainly the most majestic of all the eras so far. And, since all the period write-ups are done for that one, I officially declare the Mountain Era signed, sealed, and delivered, as the most completely chronicled era of Time. And it has been a great pleasure to chronicle it. :)

Thank you for the thank you cake! :D

Valarya: Congrats on 500 and your first ottifiparotimeodyfilk!

Still another 5 NPs now to go... most of the rest of what I've read is basically exactly what I anticipated. Same thoughts I was having about the comic throughout the day. Exciting to see the developments though. :)

Keep waiting well. I'll be back later with more!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:10 am UTC

I predict that if Cueball starts chirping with their instruments, he'll quickly learn a whole lot of interesting new words! Most of them variations on the Beanong word for "chirp."

(But is that what he's looking at? Maybe someone else is coming down the hill.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 am UTC

Time for this Waiter, also, to molpy (meowlpy?) down.
meowlpy down.jpg
meowlpy down.jpg (4.9 KiB) Viewed 10151 times

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
partingLance wrote:Oh, you know. It's the dust. It does what it wants. It blows forward and it blows back, for example.

You may be the best person in the OTT.

Very far from it, I can assure you.

Still, my smile is stuck.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Latent22

Re: (we interrupt your irregularly scheduled molpy tale)

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:OI!

So I was about to post the ONG but then I saw in the Topic Review the top of Latent22's FasterONG (I hadn't seen it yet) and I thought I'd been beaten.
Now while ONGing isn't serious business, it would be nice if fakeONGs were less mistakable for real ones.

Sorry! Tried to post it well before the the ONG so it wouldn't be too sneaky.

On a side note what the chirp happened to the cup she was holding last frame? It's just gone. Maybe my fakeONG did happen somehow!

Eternal Density

And the best part was...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

On a side note what the chirp happened to the cup she was holding last frame? It's just gone. Maybe my fakeONG did happen somehow!

A wizard did it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 am UTC

-Hey?
...Hey, I'm your life, I'm the one who takes you there?
...Mr. Evil (whooooa) The Lord of the Night?
...Brother, make way for patience?
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:@HAL: Ahh, that's fair enough. So since you probably missed it, I did the second Boom De Yada verse, with your line done in a computery voice :P

yeeeeee I'm in a song I'm in a song! Yay yay yay!
That song put me in a tremendously good mood. I loved your pronunciation of "bboz dr yndn" especially muchly!

Thanks, glad you liked it :mrgreen:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Now while ONGing isn't serious business, it would be nice if real ONGs were less mistakable for fake ones.

FTFY.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:I just had a thought... I was wondering to myself how far down the ICT subforum that the One True Thread has fallen since its inception on newpix 1. I'm trying to think of a good way to do this, and the best I've come up with is by creating a database of all the post numbers in the entire ICT subforum and match them up with thread numbers.
Spoiler:
And then you could run some algorithm to see what the highest number of non-1190 threads have post numbers between any 2 successive 1190 posts. I'd imagine it would be most efficient to sort the database first, since the posts should be relatively sequential within each thread, and then just run through the database once searching for threads-between-OTT-posts.

If someone could figure out how to create the database of post and thread numbers (or, even better, tell me how to do the forum-database creation magicks (I'm looking at you, Kieryn :wink: )), I could definitely come up with some interesting data about One True Thread trends vs. Other Thread trends vs. Overall Other Rest Of Forum trends (but, then again, if you have the programming know-how to pull the necessary data, you obviously have the programming know-how to do the much simpler things I'm trying to do, so maybe it's kind of dumb for me to ask, so...)

I'm not entirely sure what macraw83 is after here, whether to compare the OTT to individual threads or to fora activity as a whole, but I've got a quick-and-dirty result that might apply. (Spoilered for seaishness ─ explanation and graph both.)
Spoiler:
Post numbers (as they appear in the URL when you click on a post title or that little Image icon next to the username) appear to be sequential, and unique across the entire xkcd fora system. You can find a post by post number alone, without a thread reference: macraw83's post above is at url http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3402599#p3402599. But post #3402601 is in the "Create Your Own Nation" thread in "Forum Games", and #3402602 is in the "Multiverse Mafia Day One: Joined Realities" thread of the "Mafia" forum.

So I used a simple technique. Subtract the first post# of day X from the first post# of day X+1, and that's the total number of posts for day X across all threads on all fora. Divide this into the number of OTT posts on day X (as counted directly), and that's the fraction of day X's activity that was generated by the OTT. (This ignores the effect of deleted posts, which, since I'm far too lazy to measure it, should be relatively slight.)

So here's a graph of the OTT's relative activity within the xkcd fora. (As usual, there's a PNG version for the IE8-handicapped.)
The first few days, of course, are the busiest, followed (as I've noted elsewhere) by a big drop after the OTC did not end on April 1st. There is a fairish slump during the fourth week, and another big surge around the Fading and the beginning of the exploration period. But since the sixth week we've been bobbling along fairly steadily, accounting for between 30% and 45% of all xkcd fora activity. I don't see any particular pattern corresponding either to weekends or to Othercomics, except that Mondays perhaps slump a little more often than other days.
────────────────
On a semi-related note: I'm still working on charts for user post rate by time of day. I think I got the bugs out of my algorithm; now I just need to write up the presentation. I've had requests for reports from the following users: akacat, AluisioASG, BlitzGirl, ChronosDragon, ergman, Eternal Density, ggh, HES, k.bookbinder, kenmelken, Marsh'n, mscha, SkUrRiEr, StormAngel. Anybody else want on the list?
────────────────
I wish I had something to contribute to the linguistic analysis, but I'm having trouble just typing "linguistic analysis." I will throw a vote behind pelrigg's latest prediction:
pelrigg wrote:HEY! Prediction: --"That looks like the writing on the tree."
but after that it's Molpy down! for me.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 am UTC

I was so disappointed that I just have to coma before finding out what "HEY" is about - but then I listened to your charming rendition (twice), and I am off in a very mellow mood.

Thank you! :D
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Goggalor

Re: (we interrupt your irregularly scheduled molpy tale)

Postby Goggalor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

I think it's kind of like crossing the streams. Post a fakeONG too close to a real ONG and total protonic reversal happens. Luckily it only caused minor damage to the OTC.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
mscha wrote:First thing of the OTC I saw today was a black wallpaper on my phone. Uh oh, Live Wallpaper broken, I thought. Nope...

Imagine how I felt.

Wake up, black screen,"oh chirp!". Turn on laptop, debug the molpy-chirping-steam-bottle out of the wallpaper. Can't find a problem. "Oh chirp, late for work!" Get to work... wallpaper working again. Ketchup, find out about black frame.

*phew*

Autch, that sounds like a sucky way to enjoy the first cup of coffee.

Slightly better than mine, if only because it was fixed more quickly. Molpied up this morning, expecting an exciting ketchup, only to find that Outside had other ideas. No internet. Apparently when it comes on a wire, the wire can't have a gap in it. (Not my wire, it was a couple blocks away.) It took about 10 newpix to fix and I just now managed to finish my ketchup. My wolpies did get extra time in the wolpy-park though, so it wasn't all bad. Tomorrow I'll have to deal with whatever piled up at work while I wasn't there, so molpy down.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Ok, it was almost molpy down. But then Cueball's "hey" kept bugging me. So I guess it's molpy back UP.

My guess is he finally realized that the water dispenser has a pump, and he doesn't know about pumps.

There, now I got it off my chest and I can molpy molpy molpy molpy back down.

Eternal Density

Grapes!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 am UTC

taixzo wrote:

Now while ONGing isn't serious business, it would be nice if real ONGs were less mistakable for fake ones.

FTFY.
Huh?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:50 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:On a semi-related note: I'm still working on charts for user post rate by time of day. I think I got the bugs out of my algorithm; now I just need to write up the presentation. I've had requests for reports from the following users: akacat, AluisioASG, BlitzGirl, ChronosDragon, ergman, Eternal Density, ggh, HES, k.bookbinder, kenmelken, Marsh'n, mscha, SkUrRiEr, StormAngel. Anybody else want on the list?

Go on then, could be interesting, stick me on the list :)
JGeezer wrote:

I was so disappointed that I just have to coma before finding out what "HEY" is about - but then I listened to your charming rendition (twice), and I am off in a very mellow mood.

Thank you! :D

Glad I could be of some help :mrgreen:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 am UTC

sford wrote:Ok, it was almost molpy down. But then Cueball's "hey" kept bugging me. So I guess it's molpy back UP.

What is that? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before!

Eternal Density wrote:
taixzo wrote:

FTFY.
Huh?

The real comics have been getting more and more unbelievable lately - the white frames/black frames, the new language, the bucket, etc. So the real ONGs look fake, and then you have a "boy who cried wolf wolpy" effect.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 am UTC

WALKONG

Is the Beanie showing Cuegan his telescope?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”