1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 am UTC

AdmirONG his artistry.

Double Post for ONG.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:05 am UTC

I still want to know where that cup on the ground disappeared to. It's bothering me.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Squirpy up!
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:I still want to know where that cup on the ground disappeared to. It's bothering me.

Picked up and moved out of the way (behind one of the bucket stools?) in between newpix?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I still want to know where that cup on the ground disappeared to. It's bothering me.

Me too. Seems like a rather mustardly disappearance to me. I even made sure to mention the disappearance on my wiki article, so that it is not forgotten! Several other frames have shown cups "disappearing," but they can always be found again with some careful looking, usually having moved to someone's hands. This time it seems to have completely vanished.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:

Me too. Seems like a rather mustardly disappearance to me. I even made sure to mention the disappearance on my wiki article, so that it is not forgotten! Several other frames have shown cups "disappearing," but they can always be found again with some careful looking, usually having moved to someone's hands. This time it seems to have completely vanished.

Does that make it anti-mustard?

Nice work on the Beanish wiki, kenmelken! I was wondering if object 11 (the bag) might instead be a large glass vessel, something like this:

If it turns out to be a steam bottle, Cuegan might reconsider how often they dip into that water barrel...

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am UTC

Quick Image report...

⁴, they're drawing! Good thinking (for a change), Cueball!
I'm a bit disappointed that they're not using this (yet) to learn their language. But maybe that is still to come, I'd be surprised if the GLR is done with Beanon.

Awesomeful Acts, ucim! Image

⁴ analysis of the OTT/OTF proportion, jjjdavidson! (But are deleted posts the only ‘holes’ in the number sequence? I could imagine that a post ID is assigned as soon as you start writing your post (or perhaps when first previewing it), and if you never post it, that's a lost ID.)

Latent22 wrote:What made Cueball choose to draw in stick figure drawing style?

And how would you draw people, if all you had were a stick and the ground? Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Picked up and moved out of the way (behind one of the bucket stools?) in between newpix?

Possibly. But it vanished between m2715 and m2716, where the only real motion was Cueball stretching the sketchstick out to the Beanie. It doesn't seem like there was time in between the newpix for any one of them to bend over, pick up the cup, and remove it. (Wouldn't it have made more sense to move the cup before they started drawing in that patch of dirt?)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 am UTC

Here's an animation of the current scene, after the black frame, zoomed in on the interaction – the drawings and most of the dialogue are missing.
It doesn't solve the mystery of the missing cup, unfortunately.
Spoiler:

Edit: hmm, you do see Megan Beanie thinking: “This cup is in the way”, right before it's removed. So I still think she moved it out of the way (and out of our vision).
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

Does that make it anti-mustard?

Nice work on the Beanish wiki, kenmelken! I was wondering if object 11 (the bag) might instead be a large glass vessel, something like this:

Spoiler:

If it turns out to be a steam bottle, Cuegan might reconsider how often they dip into that water barrel...

Thanks. :) I've added your alternative interpretation for the object to the article, and I've also just finished writing an article for the Beanie People themselves, serving as kind of a parent article to all of the others we've been creating about them (and the additional articles I still PLAN to create about them later...). I find this branching into socio-cultural/anthropological exploration a really awesome change of pace for the OTC. Want to keep writing, but I probably should go molpy down for the night.

Anyway, enjoy the articles! Please fix typos and add more cool stuff that I've missed.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1003

Postby azule » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

mp3 download also available.
OMR! This is so wowterful!
Indeed. The question, though: Did you sing that one boom de yada upside down? Were you getting a legal head rush at the time of recording? ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Mustard (or Molpy?) report!

At the same time that the cup disappeared, also a hole appeared in the middle of the ‘wheel’ in the tower.
It wasn't there before np716 and has been there ever since.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am UTC

DrawONG travelONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 am UTC

mscha wrote:Mustard (or Molpy?) report!

At the same time that the cup disappeared, also a hole appeared in the middle of the ‘wheel’ in the tower.

Looks like it's going to explode!!!

My guess is a mustard mistake. we should check to see if the color value is at all close to the grey he is using to draw the sky diagram with? He may have had his paintbrush on that color and clicked the telescope by mistake.

ETA: Just loaded the last pic in Photoshop CS6 and sampled the grey of the drawing in the sky and found the new spot is a lot darker. I then used my paintbrush tool and clicked on the black telescope and it turned to the exact same 76% dark color! So I thought that must be it. But then I noticed I had my paintbrush set to 46% opacity for the last image manipulation I had done and so it was probably just a fluke I got the exact same value. So it is possible he just clicked there by mistake but who knows.
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 am UTC

Spoiler:

Obviously the "cup" is a particularly sneaky and mustardlike teleporting molpy, which jumped from ground level in m2715 to the scope in m2716. (Mustolpy? Molpycup?)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

Looks like it's going to explode!!!

My guess is a mustard mistake. we should check to see if the color value is at all close to the grey he is using to draw the sky diagram with? He may have had his paintbrush on that color and clicked the telescope by mistake.

I don't think we can do that, because of the anti-aliasing going on. (The GLR almost certainly draws in a higher resolution, then downsizes.) The ‘hole’ is small enough that it doesn't contain entire pixels.
That said, the lightest pixel in the hole is 60/255, while the drawing in the sky is typically 178/255, much lighter.

Your theory could still be right, though.

ETA:
BlitzGirl wrote:Obviously the "cup" is a particularly sneaky and mustardlike teleporting molpy, which jumped from ground level in m2715 to the scope in m2716. (Mustolpy? Molpycup?)

ANd it also turned from black to white? Image
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:

Obviously the "cup" is a particularly sneaky and mustardlike teleporting molpy, which jumped from ground level in m2715 to the scope in m2716. (Mustolpy? Molpycup?)

Or this is simply a thinly veiled reference to this:

Spoiler:

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Quest progress: 656/1066 pages

My arrival-to-the-present prognosis has moved closer a little - it now estimates np 4014 to be the end of my quest.

My last signpost was from NP 593 and, well, a lot has happened in the OTC since then... Cuegan encountered a bird dinosaur flying over the dunes, then passed from the dunes to a grassy land reaching a tree4 where they took a nap. While Megan was comaing, Cueball found some berries and an abandoned campsite. Also, some mysterious animals were spotted moving in the grass (finally I know what 'molpy' stands for :D). From the tree4 they continued to the river3. Here, they refilled the dilgunerang and talked. Now they continue along the river to find more beautiful places.

The thread became flooded by discussions about the plural form of 'lego' and a near-flame-war over blitzposts. I enjoyed ucim's Acts of the Clerics (at first I just skipped these, but now I have read it all up to my current present - it was worth it!), as well as Chronos Dragon's noir and HES's Hotel California. Good job!

Some funny/interesting quotes I came across:
Montov wrote:
Megan wrote:These are bigger than they looked.

Megan has new breast implants.

StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

footnotes according to mscha's standard OTT-np2166m 1.1
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Good mornternix!
Cuegan and the Beanies (this would make a good name for a band that plays cover versions of our ottifications) are communicating by drawings4!
taixzo wrote:
sford wrote:Ok, it was almost molpy down. But then Cueball's "hey" kept bugging me. So I guess it's molpy back UP.

What is that? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before!

I'd say it's a juvenile Daubentonia madagascariensis or aye-aye (edit: supported by the file name, as I see now while typing this post). As you might guess from its species name, it's endemic to Madagascar.

It's ALL related. (Though I suppose sford knew that when posting it.)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Not sure if it has been pointed out but It's both cups that have vanished between frames with no apparent reason. One was in Megans hand and the other one on the ground later. Maybe Megan is a bit of a kleptomaniac and has them hiding on her person somewhere. Don't ask me where.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:20 am UTC

*looks up at WOnder93's blitzpost concerning Megan's breast implants*
Cups, eh?

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Obviously the "cup" is a particularly sneaky and mustardlike teleporting molpy, which jumped from ground level in m2715 to the scope in m2716. (Mustolpy? Molpycup?)
And it also turned from black to white? Image

Yes. It's particularly sneaky because it has chameleon-like abilities.
But it's mustardlike because it completely mustards up how to use them.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am UTC

edo wrote:Amazing. He's caught every detail.

Eta: heh. Complied without even trying. g'night all!

Thus violating the Beanons sacred rules prohibiting graven images. Cuegan are sacrificed to the loving and completely benevolent Beanon God in the traditional manner -- death by bunga-bunga.

Thus ends time.

PS -- to all you Madhatters: "That's some bad hat, Harry!" which only proves the producers of The Daily Show (which, I'll point out has a NewShow once every 24 NewPix at best) are... connected to the millinerists.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Cuegan are sacrificed to the loving and completely benevolent Beanon God in the traditional manner -- death by bunga-bunga keyboard.

FTFY.

Megan has little clue that ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage means "Raptorcat Attractant" and is only meant to make her drumstick even tastier for Lucky.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Cuegan are sacrificed to the loving and completely benevolent Beanon God in the traditional manner -- death by bunga-bunga keyboard.

FTFY.

Megan has little clue that ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage means "Raptorcat Attractant" and is only meant to make her drumstick even tastier for Lucky.

Waittaminut -- aren't most attractants based on sex pheromones? Lucky may show up hoping to (sorry) get lucky :oops: .
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
sford wrote:Ok, it was almost molpy down. But then Cueball's "hey" kept bugging me. So I guess it's molpy back UP.

According to molpipedia, the aye-aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis) is a lemur, a strepsirrhine primate native to Madagascar that combines rodent-like teeth and a special thin middle finger to fill the same ecological niche as a woodpecker.

ETA: GAH! That's the problem with having to work - you first search the OTT to see if it has been said yet, then you start a reply, then the phone rings. By the time you get back to hitting submit, somebody ninjas you. (Although I don't think it counts as being ninja with a 40-minute time window.)

ETA2: molpy up
Last edited by sford on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Good mornternix!
Cuegan and the Beanies (this would make a good name for a band that plays cover versions of our ottifications) are communicating by drawings4!
taixzo wrote:

I'd say it's a juvenile Daubentonia madagascariensis or aye-aye (edit: supported by the file name, as I see now while typing this post). As you might guess from its species name, it's endemic to Madagascar.

It's ALL related. (Though I suppose sford knew that when posting it.)

Dobby.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

SketchONG

it's... the sea!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Now the Cue Man will put a footnote 1 beside the sea so the Beanies know that it is big and does what it wants. Thus proving that GLR reads the OTT and follows mscha's standard footnotes.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Now the Cue Man will put a footnote 1 beside the sea so the Beanies know that it is big and does what it wants. Thus proving that GLR reads the OTT and follows mscha's standard footnotes.

And then Cuegan and the Beanies will start arguing about how to number the drawings.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:Now the Cue Man will put a footnote 1 beside the sea so the Beanies know that it is big and does what it wants. Thus proving that GLR reads the OTT and follows mscha's standard footnotes.

And then Cuegan and the Beanies will start arguing about how to number the drawings.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks a lot, Cueball. Three months, two weeks and two daysH and NOW you explain it all.....

Hyou know what I'm talking about
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

He can easily add lines to the sea simulating the rising now, but the Beanies response will be interesting. I'm sure they know about it, but how will they communicate it?

Prediction: Beanie will draw a giant tap above the sea. (Semi-Ninjad by several hundred np)

ETADP:

mscha wrote:...I could imagine that a post ID is assigned as soon as you start writing your post (or perhaps when first previewing it), and if you never post it, that's a lost ID.)

I was going to mention the proportion of replies I give up on before posting, then gave up on it.

kenmelken wrote:ETA: Obviously, my lengthy little explanation there was ninja'd pages ago by HES and others.

As usual, however, yours was a much clearer explanation

I'm thinking the wiki needs a page for all the "Hey..." references we've come up with. Might have a play with it later
He/Him/His Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

More of a hope than a prediction, but it would be really 4 if Cueball drew a little sand castle before dealing witht he sea rising issue.

Aaaaaannnnnnd.....Go!
Voice of the Silent

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

TalkONG Beanish...

[Edit] Back after a long time of lurking just to deprive newpixbot of its prey!
Last edited by Swein on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Beanie wrote:‘Cup’? What is this idiot talking about?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

suzi

Postby suzi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

HEYOOOO!! This may be one of the most satisfying ONGs ever. I actually threw my hands up and went "Oh snap, you tell em Cueball!"

Clearly I don't have much going for me today.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Beanie's showing a bit of a hands-to-mouth reaction there. Gasping in horror ("oh that was YOUR village that just went underwater")? Whistling for the hydrologist? Or did Cueball just inadvertently say something very rude?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Beanie's showing a bit of a hands-to-mouth reaction there. Gasping in horror ("oh that was YOUR village that just went underwater")? Whistling for the hydrologist? Or did Cueball just inadvertently say something very rude?

I normally jump on the worst case scenario band-wagon, but to me it looks like one arm folded across his chest under his other arm which is holding his chin while he goies "Hmmm"
Voice of the Silent

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Swein wrote:TalkONG Beanish...
Spoiler:

mscha wrote:

Too bad that Cueball told us his assumed translation; otherwise, we could have nicely speculated about the morning treat, and thus the sea1, being made of semencancerbaconbabycoffee. :cry: But there's still some hope...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Thanks for all the kind love on my very first Filk, guys!! Feels good.

ChronosDragon wrote:Wow, cueball's doing a great job with that dirtmanip.

I giggled uncontrollably for about 30 seconds when I read 'dirtmanip.' :D

Also: The SEA1 !!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Molpy up!
Spoiler:

It looks like Cueball's finally figured out a way to understand the Beanies. Unfortunately, it looks like this will make it harder for us to learn Beanish. :(
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Swein wrote:TalkONG Beanish...
Spoiler:

mscha wrote:

Too bad that Cueball told us his assumed translation; otherwise, we could have nicely speculated about the morning treat, and thus the sea1, being made of semencancerbaconbabycoffee. :cry: But there's still some hope...

So maybe Image just told Beanie to drink the sea. But it's okay, ce n'est pas la mer à boire. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”