1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

The Newpage of the Bears

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 am UTC

*looks up at pagepopepost*

*reads "bears"*

*brings a bear for the pagepope*

Spoiler:

EDITS: Huh. Retro-mome. Looks like some posts have been purged somewhere between newpages 1069 and 1071 :(
Oh well. I shall faithfully continue bringing bears for our deposed Pope!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Marsh'n

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP86 (8%)

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 am UTC

I have lived through the future-blip.
I have found religion. All hail divine Lord Randall!
I have FB'd it ("done") but have not cut off my ears. (Sorry, Kieryn!)
@patzer, @KroniK907, @TemporaryLife, @chem1190c, @squonk, @xpatiate, @AluisioASG, @MattTheTubaGuy, @Magnap
Spoiler:
SPOILER ALERT: There are several patzer posts (NP57, NP58, NP60) with the pre-wiki BUMP or parts of it, which have spoilered currentframes. But, the spoiler for the first one says "Here it is, I added the new period" which tends to lead one to believe it is just the list of time periods and not an image. KroniK907 finally fixes this (NP63) with the phrase "Live updating GIF" (Thank you!)

@TemporaryLife: You provide the first confirmation that people other than me experience what I've called "deja preview" (NP58)
@chem1190c: Very weird futurepost - you came back from the future NP239 on NP63!
@squonk: Predicts 18244 posts in the first year. Hah!
@xpatiate: Because of the NP57 spoiler, I recognize your hatted avatar (NP73) as a spoiler too, but otherwise I'd just say, what an odd duck...
@AluisioASG: Your avatar changed back! Feeling relieved for some reason...
@MattTheTubaGuy: "if... night comes, I wonder if it will be possible to determine the Latitude" - er... yes. Or so I'm told.
@Magnap: Thanks for the "coma" - I think I need one now.

SPOILER ALERT contained in above for those attempting to resolve.
Did someone say something about bears?

Flotter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Flotter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Telescope going dOwNG:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Aha - as soon as the scope is lowered, the molpycup manifests back at the water barrel. Sneaky sneaky.

*brings another bear*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 am UTC

poxic wrote:Lyoug, I think I love you.

Because he's a Wild Thing ?

Ronald

BlitzGirl wrote:I liked your analysis too, lovepirate. :) The Pacing section was particularly steakish*, IMO.

*Well-done

*wakes up* Is this where I do my 'and that is rare for a medium like this' line again? Are we a duo now?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Sure, why not? :D Duos are fun!

*brings more bears*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sjö

Postby Sjö » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Delurking for a moment to post another idea about the OTC, partly inspired by Lovepirate's great analysis: I have this haunting feeling that Randall is retelling some classic tale in the xkcd format. There's no tale that immediately comes to mind, but these adaptions aren't always easy to recognize. Remember how the Odyssey inspired such diverse works as Joyce's Ulysses and the Coen Brother's O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

The overall plot of Time so far could be any of many classic epics: In a peaceful place a dark threat appears. A group sets out on a quest to learn about it, or to stop the threat. They travel far, meeting dangers and in the process learning more about the world and about themselves. They meet people that help them (or maybe don't, we don't know for sure yet).

Parts of the story reminds me of Heart of Darkness. That book starts (IIRC) on a boat that waits for the tide, there is a dangerous journey, and the narrator meets a tribe that speaks a language that is unknown to him. But Conrad's story is much to dark for Randall, so I don't really think that's the one (unless, of course, if Beardie introduces himself as Kurtz).
We barely understand anything but that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 am UTC

ucim wrote:
It's not a comic he created. It's a community, and through that community one can experience the comic. The community is the medium.

Jose

I retroactively would like to apologize to all blitzers for having to endure my presence in this community.

:wink:

taixzo wrote:I think this is conclusive proof that Cuegan are quite intelligent, and merely do not have much information about the world.

Nah, they're wearing a stickwatch that allows them to browse the OTT for useful insight, because they have to wait a newpix anyway to move.

Ronald

PS: Someone draw an image of what they're doing while we wait ? :wink: :wink: :nudge:
Last edited by rvloon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Beacon Alpha for Time Travelers

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 am UTC

- Blindpost Mayo NP1003 -

Awesome Present Present for NP 1000 BlitzGirl! It's deserving of at least double 00 footnotes! :mrgreen:

Good job everyone on the New Pagenium! even if celebrated 1 NewPage early :wink:

AluisioASG wrote:This is a post from the Time Foundation. Once you reach this post, please report to the Future Present that you've reached Beacon Alpha.

Oh, standarized SignPost from people in the present! I've reached Beacon Alpha.

AluisioASG wrote:Our Tracker allows you to check how far have you gone and how much of your travel is still to be done, as well as the distance to the next station.

Wait, how do I get this tracker? What's my distance to the next station? D:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Sjö wrote:Parts of the story reminds me of Heart of Darkness. That book starts (IIRC) on a boat that waits for the tide, there is a dangerous journey, and the narrator meets a tribe that speaks a language that is unknown to him. But Conrad's story is much to dark for Randall, so I don't really think that's the one (unless, of course, if Beardie introduces himself as Kurtz).

Oh, I hope not. (I hadn't connected Heart of Darkness to Time before, but now I can definitely see the RELATED-ness.) The horror! The horror!

*tries to think happy thoughts*

*brings more bears*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Re: She ran around a tree a few more times...

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Davidy wrote:Since we're now focused on language, isn't anybody but me bothered by the fact that the English language being used by Cuegan is apparently unchanged from currant useage? I mean after 11,000+ years I would expect what we now call English would more resemble the Beanies' language. Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.

Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

In 11,000+ years, Canada would have invaded Madagascar, or contrariwise.

In 11,000+ years, some idiotgenius would have found a way to drain the ocean. So if Clueball and Megan are still on Earth, we'd know exactly where they are: In the Netherlands, of course.

capnbuckle wrote:Ah, so I did finally get moderated...un-moderated...something... I imagine with the activity of the OTT, the moderators have been a _little_ busy!!

The OTT may stress one or two fora rules, but the peace is kept.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 am UTC

GONG

Eternal Density

(blah)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 am UTC

going going gONG!

Spoiler:

Okay the ninja detector didn't detect it this time :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Wow, those Beanies sure know how to pack in a hurry! Beanish objects vanishing left and right!

*brings another bear to help with the effort*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 am UTC

I think the themes present in Heart of Darkness are reflected in alot of stories (and personally I hope if Time is based something more exciting or elaborate since I found Heart of Darkness to be quite boring actually).

I much rather relate cuegans epic journey to something like The Lord of the Rings or maybe even The Time Machine :D
Edit: Don't know whats cuter BlitzGirls redundant kitties or Bear gifs
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Image

AND... this new wiki article about Beanish Objects to identify/categorize each one and our observations about them.

Very cool. 8 has been bothering me for ages.

I think that 8 is related to 1 or maybe 2. Probably a case for 1. After 2 was moved the 8 object "fattened up", so maybe 2 was folded up and put there. Then both disappeared, maybe laid on the ground or put into the structure to the right.

ETR: language question moved to separate post.
Last edited by spamjam on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

AND... this new wiki article about Beanish Objects to identify/categorize each one and our observations about them.

Very cool. 8 has been bothering me for ages.

It now appears that 8 is related to 1 or maybe 2. Probably a case for 1. After 2 was moved the 8 object "fattened up", so maybe 2 was folded up and put there. Then both disappeared, maybe laid on the ground or put into the structure to the right.

I think it might just be another 2. After 2 was folded up and put next to 8, they looked pretty similar.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am UTC

I just noticed that in frame 2739, the tap(?) on the top of 9 seemed to be closed, while in frame 2740 it appeared to be open, and water spilled out. In frame 2741, the tap is closed again. Did Cuegan walk by, drank some water, and forgot to close the tap? Maybe they don't have taps at their home?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am UTC

I'm inclined to agree with Flotter. Though after a while, all the sticks start to look the same.
None of the Beanie Bunch bothered to pick up the sketchstick. :( Somebody might be able to use that!

*brings another bear*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Moved from previous post:
I haven't been following the language decoding too closely, but do we know if either group recognizes the others' language? Cuegan haven't said "Ooh! That's Beanish, too bad we never learned it." But the Beanies know of a translator (Translator Jerry, or TJ for short), so do they recognize Unglish and know that TJ can translate? Or do they just know that TJ translates, and might know Unglish?

bare bears (possibly nsfw)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 am UTC

Interesting question. My initial instinct is to say yes, the Beanies know that the wild-haired interpreter speaks Unglish, because they very clearly assigned circles to Cuegan and drew a circle beside the interpreter, too. I suppose they might just know of him as Beardo, the Great and Powerful, who can (probably) translate most languages, but I trust Beanie-1's knowledge of circles.

*brings another bear*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 am UTC

All gong...

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ziggurat?

No, thanks. I prefer these Pyramids. They're smoother.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am UTC

Oh, Beanish Object 11 is gone (the white sack/jug). Too bad we didn't get to see the Beanie carrying it so we could figure out what it was. Maybe we'll see it again in a coming newpix?

I get the feeling we're about to leave this scene. Time keeps on slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the Future!...

*brings another bear*
Spoiler:

!Pretty cool
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:45 pages back at the atm, but I just have to point out that Eternal Density has 1190 posts. It's probably been mentioned already but if not I had to point it out.
Also, has it always been "Eternal Density"? All this time I've been reading it as Destiny. :shock:

Taht's bceusae toshe two wdros cntoian all of the smae ltetres and the frsit and lsat ltetres are the smae. You can efeftlcivey raed Eglnsih taht way bceusae of the wried way our bnrias wrok.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:47 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
wizpretz wrote:45 pages back at the atm, but I just have to point out that Eternal Density has 1190 posts. It's probably been mentioned already but if not I had to point it out.
Also, has it always been "Eternal Density"? All this time I've been reading it as Destiny. :shock:

Taht's bceusae toshe two wdros cntoian all of the smae ltetres and the frsit and lsat ltetres are the smae. You can efeftlcivey raed Eglnsih taht way bceusae of the wried way our bnrias wrok.

True. I read until "cntoian" before I even realized that there was something unusual going on and even then I only thought "urgh, typos".
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I just noticed that in frame 2739, the tap(?) on the top of 9 seemed to be closed, while in frame 2740 it appeared to be open, and water spilled out. In frame 2741, the tap is closed again. Did Cuegan walk by, drank some water, and forgot to close the tap? Maybe they don't have taps at their home?

Yes, it looks a bit like they left it open and the Beanie closed it. And in between 2740 and 2741 I think all the cups went into the bucket at the left of the tower (object 5). Looks like there might be a little water around it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Taht's bceusae toshe two wdros cntoian all of the smae ltetres and the frsit and lsat ltetres are the smae. You can efeftlcivey raed Eglnsih taht way bceusae of the wried way our bnrias wrok.

I dno't tinhk my biran is spopuesd to wrok lkie taht...

...molpy mpoly mlopy mploy moply mlpoy molpy mpoly mlopy mploy moply mlpoy molpy garepvnie gpraenive...

*brnigs anethor baer*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 am UTC

The other side of the mountONG?

Edit: Or maybe just a valley? That angle on the left looks artificial...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Quick q. Do we have a definitive and easily reference-able collection of beanish symbol images? I have an idea i'd like to try...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Where are Cuegan and the Beanies?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Quick q. Do we have a definitive and easily reference-able collection of beanish symbol images? I have an idea i'd like to try...

Um, sort of. I've been grabbing the beanish symbols and converting them to individual images - here is the last update post. All of them are in there, but I'm not sure how reference-able it is. :? They're kind of a pain to sort out.

*brings more bears*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Quick q. Do we have a definitive and easily reference-able collection of beanish symbol images? I have an idea i'd like to try...

Um, sort of. I've been grabbing the beanish symbols and converting them to individual images - here is the last update post. All of them are in there, but I'm not sure how reference-able it is. :? They're kind of a pain to sort out.

*brings more bears*
Spoiler:

Thanks! definitely a good start. Some point this wix-end I'll start indexing them, unless someone else does it before then... any takers? :-)

Keep up the good bear-bringing! :-)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Where are Cuegan and the Beanies?

Probably still inside the Beanie Bunch's structure there. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see inside. Hopefully they show themselves soon...maybe someone should knock on the door just to check.

*brings another bear to help*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 am UTC

I hate when I get ketchedup and there's no more OTT to read.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 am UTC

If you really wanted to, you could go back and read it all over again... :D Ready, set, go!

*brings a bear*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:53 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:I hate when I get ketchedup and there's no more OTT to read.

Want more OTT? Just
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Although actively participating is much appreciated.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am UTC

LEADONG ALONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Hey, look, a Bean-bag! :)

Well, this certainly has been a bearyful newpage. But now it's Time for coma.
Bear well, all! See you in a fewpix.

*brings one last bear*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 am UTC

Aside from BlitzGirl's index, there's also this, http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Beanish.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”