1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: Blind-Post NP1026

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Halfway keught-up post.

azule wrote:
mscha wrote:I've added a simple viewer to my site, which allows you to view the frames one at a time.
<snip>
http:// xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/ 2013-12-31T23:59:59

Pretty sweet stuff, mscha. One problem.... That quoted URL up there....it spoiled me. :cry: I thought you were gonna pick a date close to the current frame....I didn't really read the date myself...and randaldamnit. :cry:
I'm gonna try to forget what I saw...(as tantalizing as it was)...and maybe now I'll try to ketchup a bit faster...(damn this slow reading handicap of mine). :cry:

My apologies, I hadn't thought of that. Image
Fixed.

Cake for Arky! Happy 100th!
Spoiler:
(Yes, it's a bit generic. But, well, it's based on your avatar...
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Hey mscha lets party like it's 1999!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Presto, change-o, EXPAND-O!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: expando expand explode enlarge stylish hat sitting city BGUM man
Expando.gif
Expando.gif (13.41 KiB) Viewed 12188 times

redundant40.png
redundant40.png (153.21 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Yes the man on the box is going to explode.
spoiler type: real. Original sort, spoiles an event in a TV series
Spoiler:
He is dr. William Bell. He is going to perform the trick he did in Fringe, but not having a crack in the universe to force open the annihilation event of approximately 80 kg of matter means the resulting explosion is 130,000 times as large as the Hirosihima bomb. This annihilates all life on the planet and makes a big dent in the planet.
Thus ends Time
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:I changed the default frame when no internet connection is available to one of the night frames, for the sole reason that they are pretty. ;)

:D They definitely are.

Swein wrote:Why, oh why, does the man on the box expand? Is he about to explode? :shock:

er... I guess he is sliding along the bench towards us?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:35 am UTC

He drunk to much and is about to fall ssideways.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 am UTC

I think the jury is still out on whether they saw a "city". It looks more like a villa in Tuscany. Do Baobabs grow there? If they know the concept of a city but think a villa or village is a city, perhaps they are as uncivilized (in the technical sense) as we have been assuming for a while.

I think it is premature to be speaking of vocalizing beanish until we know quite a lot more. Perhaps we will learn enough this wip, but I don't think we have enough yet.

And as to my earlier theory that GLR uses "research" to fund his travels via the US tax system, what better place than Tuscany, eh?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 am UTC

Perhaps our expanding friend is puffing himself up at the sight of invaders to appear more intimidating, like a blowfish.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps our expanding friend is puffing himself up at the sight of invaders to appear more intimidating, like a blowfish.
Spoiler:

That's it and he has a blocked safety valve and accidentally overpuffs himself and explodes. Thus ends Time
That would be quite intimidating!

ETA: I forgot the end of the prediction. Luckily BlitzGirl saves the 2,4 hectonewpix! Yaay BlitzGirl!
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps our expanding friend is puffing himself up at the sight of invaders to appear more intimidating, like a blowfish.
Spoiler:

That's it and he has a blocked safety valve and accidentally overpuffs himself and explodes.

...Thus ends Time?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Ever since those sand drawings I've been thinking of the Man in the Shack from the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (see also episode transcript here).

Am I alone in thinking this?

Surely not.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

CasCat

EnterONG

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

The newpix is late....

Thus ends Time?

Ah, here it is:
Last edited by CasCat on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

The buildings kind of remind me of a scene from Alice in Wonderland where she is tiny. Which made me think that maybe the people are really ants(or other bugs drawn as people) and the sea is rising because someone left the garden hose on (yeah the tap theory again). That would make the boabab trees bonsai. The grapevines are really cultivating moss and all the molpies... :? well it almost worked as a theory. I think I need to coma...
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

Hatman shrunk again. He's probably an alien with his lungs in his head, he's just breathing. I don't know how that's going to en Time yet, but I'll add it in a few millinewpix.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Still exciting but I need coma. Would y'all give this cake to mscha for me after his next post?
Spoiler:
Molpy down.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:The buildings kind of remind me of a scene from Alice in Wonderland where she is tiny. Which made me think that maybe the people are really ants(or other bugs drawn as people) and the sea is rising because someone left the garden hose on (yeah the tap theory again). That would make the boabab trees bonsai. The grapevines are really cultivating moss and all the molpies... :? well it almost worked as a theory. I think I need to coma...

Your theory just made me think of people the size of Amoeba.
and
I *am* an elephant you know!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Between frame 2815 and frame 2816, the right wall of the house on the right side crumbled a little...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

So... I was the only person to think the thingy on the pole outside the gate was not a flag, but rather a trophy? Looks like the tail from a large raptorcat to me :P

POTD: The Beanies take Cuegan to the other side of their town so they can watch the TdF go by. A large crash occurs in the Peloton; three support vehicles which try to avoid the downed riders go off the road, crushing the Beanies and Cuegan. Thus ends time. (But due to the many riders who are too injured to continue, Charlie Grumbles grabs the yellow jersey!)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:<snip>
Charlie Grumbles grabs the yellow jersey!)

Yay!! Go Professor.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

"dip and squeeze," hmm....
Spoiler:
new-heinz-ketchup-packet-27988-1265304658-14.jpg

Kazza3, BlitzGirl, cellocgw
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:Been busy at the incredible Australasian Clarinet & Sax Conference for three days, and just finished ketchuping 30 pages or so!
Just out of interest, what instrument/area of study (education, compostion, etc)?

I play French horn, and taught elementary school (ages 6 - 11 or 12) general music (singing, dancing, reading, writing, playing - Kodaly technique, specifically - drank the koolaid early on and will bore anyone to death with wondrous tales of music literacy, sight-singing and the joys and limitations of movable do!).
and you?
Kazza3 wrote:Been busy at the incredible Australasian Clarinet & Sax Conference for three days

Hoo boy, that's a lot of reeds all in one place, says the brass player..... On the bright side, you didn't have to shake hands with all those trumpet players (tpt player, meeting anyone: "hi, I'm better than you").

BlitzGirl wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:That's it and he has a blocked safety valve and accidentally overpuffs himself and explodes.
...Thus ends Time?

Welcome to the NBPETP (Neil_Boekend Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor) Fan Club, BlitzGirl!
cellocgw wrote:POTD: The Beanies take Cuegan to the other side of their town so they can watch the TdF go by. A large crash occurs in the Peloton; three support vehicles which try to avoid the downed riders go off the road, crushing the Beanies and Cuegan. Thus ends time.

oh, and you too, cellocgw!

cellocgw wrote:<snip>and also with my spousal molpy (34 heretical years as of Bastille Day).

lost it at "spousal molpy." :lol: Congrats on the longevity, cellocgw - 33 yrs for us this year. And has it always been Papillons for you, or are they a more recent discovery?

ed. for new fan club member
Last edited by fhorn on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

NetWeasel

Re: (in which ED completely misses the point)

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:My posts are secured with ROT-52 encryption.

Which is twice as secure as ROT-26...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

pachinkoid

Postby pachinkoid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

hat man?
that's not a manly hat.
it's not breathing it's jiggle.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Hatman shrunk again. He's probably an alien with his lungs in his head, he's just breathing. I don't know how that's going to en Time yet, but I'll add it in a few millinewpix.

The Hatalien is the brain eating kind. He's going to devour Megan's brains first. This will turn her into a minion of his evil plans. He'll devour Queball's brains next, but the brain eating amoeba that's already there will kill the Hatalien. At that point the beanies will collapse, as they were only mindless drones of his evil will. The brain eating amoeba will die of starvation. Thus ends Time.

Edit because grammar issues of
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Thus ends Time

I love your pessimistic collection of possible futures.

"We'll all be rooned," said Neil_Boekend ...

sford

Postby sford » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:sford, I am enjoying your horrific molpies :D As a long-time fan of the star-nosed mole, I hope they get to put in an appearance too.

@xpatiate - either you looked at the same originating page I did, or you are just a mind reader.

Molpy UP
Spoiler:
The star-nosed mole is easily identified by the hellish abomination ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H 11 pairs of pink fleshy appendages ringing its snout, which is used as a touch organ with more than 25,000 minute sensory receptors... Huh huh, they said "touch organ".

@Sciscitor - I hope everybody is following your "true facts" links. Very educational.

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Between frame 2815 and frame 2816, the right wall of the house on the right side crumbled a little...

Is that crumbling or something moving?

Looks to me like an obscured curtain blowing in the breeze... Except, we have not yet seen effects of a breeze in OTC...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Hatman shrunk again. He's probably an alien with his lungs in his head, he's just breathing. I don't know how that's going to en Time yet, but I'll add it in a few millinewpix.

The Hatalien is the brain eating kind. He's going to devour Megan's brains first. This will turn her into a minion of his evil plans. He'll devour Queball's brains next, but the brain eating amoeba that's already there will kill the Hatalien. At that point the beanies will collapse, as they were only mindless drones of his evil will. The brain eating amoeba will die of starvation. Thus ends Time.

Edit because grammar issues of

He's a Hive Queen?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:

You're welcome to join the Neil_Boekend (May He Rest In Peace) Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club.
The club's logo is redesigned and promotional materials reprinted every time there's a new prediction, though having read your post I think the motto should permanently be "We'll all be rooned"!
today this American learned about "Said Hanrahan"
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

pachinkoid wrote:hat man?
that's not a manly hat.
it's not breathing it's jiggle.

Tilley hat. VERY manly. I have two of them. Maybe it is Canada, not Tuscany.
http://www.tilley.com/Hats-Men.aspx

ZoomanSP wrote:Between frame 2815 and frame 2816, the right wall of the house on the right side crumbled a little...

Probably just mustard.

TimeLurker wrote:
cellocgw wrote:<snip>
Charlie Grumbles grabs the yellow jersey!)

Yay!! Go Professor.

Well, it is legal to walk your bike across the line. Word.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:

Thanks, if I have the time I'll try to make a Wiki page out of it. According to the search I have 17 "Thus ends Time" predictions now. There are a couple of doomsday predictions before that but those are going to take some time to find.
Or would it be to much ego stroking to make a wiki page of my own predictions?That raises the question: do I mind stroking my own ego?

he/him/his

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Gaaaah! A city! A gate. KIDS! An expanding man. It's all too much to take in upon immediate de-coma.

I also wanted to submit a recording for Megan. I picked the 'yawn' scene since I just woke up and am really sleepy. So: sleepy voice.

Spoiler:

ETA: Sorry about the file-type and the stupid plug-in thing some of you might get. Just click the 'X' in the 'preview' frame here and click on the .wma link instead. :?
Attachments

Valarya_yawn2.wma [ 153.94 KiB | Viewed 11971 times ]

Last edited by Valarya on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

decet

Postby decet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Ever since the advanced sandcastles I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I had seen this kind of "moving silhouettes" before - but only yesterday I remembered Lotte Reiniger's animated silhouette films.
The recent pix strongly remind me of her films.

decet

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

pachinkoid wrote:a man dressed like a hat?

FTFY

By the way, over the wipend I caught up on various instructional and musical videos from the OTT, and they were all very 4.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:

Looks to me like an obscured curtain blowing in the breeze... Except, we have not yet seen effects of a breeze in OTC...

I can't see it. Can one of our talented animators/molpy-hunters point it out? I just don't see any change...

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Tom17 wrote:

I can't see it. Can one of our talented animators/molpy-hunters point it out? I just don't see any change...

Looky here at the red on the right of the building on the right :)

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Tom17 wrote:

Looky here at the red on the right of the building on the right :)

Ah. Subtle, but now I see it. Thank! (I think that the upstairs room is probably the kitchen and there was a terrible accident resulting in mustard pouring out the window....)

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

You know what, I think I have finally spent too much (Or do I just mean 'enough') time reading OTT. As I was laying in bed this morning, I was rubbing feet on my molpy thinking 'Nice molpy, you so fluffy molpy. Good molpy'

Am I starting to absorb too much OTT or is this normal behaviour?

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

More talkONG!

ETA: That has to be a reciprocal greeting, right?

In fact, I should have labelled this 'reciprocal greetONG'. DOH!

ETA2: Fixed image
Last edited by Tom17 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Well, it is legal to walk your bike across the line. Word.

(TdF spoiler)
Spoiler:
Well after watching the race on Sunday, he made everyone else look as though they were walking their bikes over the line!

Thankfully my parents gave me a heads-up so I caught the last 30minutes - the way he finished made my (flat) 60km ride to a work bbq look positively pedestrian.

Having been out in the sun all day, I was certainly sympathetic to the riders in the TdF and was envious of Cuegan sitting under the tree in the shade.
(Sunday's TdF was a little bit of an echo of the OTC: some people go up a mountain where there was a telescope at the top with lots of strange people)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

They are saying good evenong to each other!

Also, I've just noticed all the (new?) features in geekwagon7!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”