1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Swein

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Swein » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:(About having no castles in the US)
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Thanks everyone!
Welcome and happy delurking, Chinchokmataa!
Valarya wrote:BLINDPOST.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:In reply to yappobiscuits.. some Americans have been out of the country and have visited several castles.

You say that as if I said "of course no Americans have ever left the country or seen a castle"... sorry if it came across that way, I simply meant that there aren't any castles in America so IF anyone who lives there has never been out of the country (which is perfectly believable, I've never been out of Europe), they wouldn't have seen a castle. Not making generalisations at all. My point was mainly that even if someone's never seen a castle they probably still know all about them.

Oh lord. I'm sorry.. I seem to be having this problem lately: not coming across very well in text. Apparently I am extremely terrible at conveying emotion, or am a bad 'writer.' Or perhaps I just don't emote hard enough? Either way.. I was being pretend-mad the entire post so that I could say 'castle' a bunch. I know you weren't implying anything.

Oh, *feels silly*... Sarcasm/joking is hard to convey in text isn't it...

It tells a tale. Where I am born you cannot travel along a major river without having a small castle in sight every 10 km. It looks like the battered lands spilled out warlords clan leaders created protective landed gentry. If there's a hill you could defend against a small army there has to be built a castle on top. No, the common commoner wasn't always satisfied with this development. Democracies weren't popular back then.

Since democracies aren't popular anymore today, too, I wonder wether it will rain castles (or scythes, for that matter) soon. Maybe that'll turn into a political figure of speech.
Well given modern weaponry (fear, surprise...) I think castle technology will require a significant upgrade.

Yes, but in the modern (highly heretical) world the castles are built on the internet. The web-services getting more and heavier fortifications, protecting the precious data stored within (not to forget colourful banners)...

[edit] Ooooh! Pagepope! I want pictures of castles and fortifications. Beautiful, impressive, intimidating, mystical...
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am UTC

OK finally got a chance to record a frame - I happened to choose G#414 because it has enough words to get a proper sense of the voice.

Recording is Audacity, with noise removal (it's a silly laptop mic) and silences chopped out to make it smaller. Still better than the wireless headset I started with though!

Oops - by papal decree (I think this is right):

Spoiler:
dark_castle-1280x800.jpg

ETA: My voice isn't normally quite that deep, I've not been talking much this afternoon though.
Attachments
Frame_G414.mp3
Geekwagon 414 - Cueball "I don't think we can build it much taller than this. It's been fun, though!"
(110.2 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Last edited by DavidRa on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Hello everyone! I'm back in the present, but [heretical] skipped a chunk up till the recent 15-20 NPs [/heretical]. I have been told I have quite a nice speaking voice and have considered looking into voice acting ... but I missed the entire context for this on the OTT! Can someone link me or explain a bit more about this project? Thank you!

Would be great if you can help out!
Well here is my original post on the idea:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:Hey guys I had one crazy idea while trying to sleep last night.

What we need is voice overs for the OTC. Just need one guy and one girl to donate their voice. Finding people with the right accent may narrow down our options though. Get them to record themselves saying all the lines in the OTC for Megan or Cueball. Then someone with a bit of skill in Audacity can take the recordings and cut them into small sound files labeled with the newpix they are for. The output would just be a compressed folder of these audio files with one per frame that has audio. We would also have to do some sound effects like chirps, snarls, yawns etc. The beanish talking frames may be a little work and need up to 3 voice actors.

An interesting side note to this is that the spoken form of beanish may never be knowable. Since the medium of the OTC has no way of conveying sound we can find meanings in their language but the sound is near impossible. We may be able to guess and vowels etc but if he hasn't based it on a real world language, which seems likely from our research. It may be possible even he has not assigned set sounds to each character. So in theory we could assign an almost random sound to each character of beanish and who is to say it is not correct.

So if we were to voice the beanish language we would probably have to randomly assign sounds with a few manual tweaks for vowel guesses. See if the output can be articulated easily and sounds like nothing we can understand (which is the aim). If it doesn't work then change around the sounds a bit till it can be spoken and sounds about right and record it. The other option is to just do it charlie brown style or something.

At the end we have all the audio files named with newpix numbers. At first a site like mscha's viewer could embed the audio files in to play when viewing them. An animated gif (with frame timing input from a dump of the audio file lengths) could be overlayed with the audio files to make a youtube video. And maybe something like geekwagon or a similar new site could be set up to play the files.

Anyway Just a crazy idea.

Carry on.

ETA: As an extra project at the end we could also create an original score for the output to overlay and set mood etc. Maybe bringing in snatches of favorite ottifications at times. Imagine it playing a soft background version of "molpy molpy molpy molpy" just before it got to the grapevine scenes... And also at the snake scene. Note to do this all the timings of the all the other frames would have to be worked out first so you can lay in the timing of the whole musical soundtrack at the end.

Since then yappobiscuits volunteered to help with soundtrack. I've looked into how to put the video together a bit and we are just seeing if we can get voice actors for Megan and Cueball. For the Beanish we have talked about using instruments to voice them since we have no idea what it would sound like right now and mainly want it to be not understandable as a current language. So we have had a few example voices uploaded to the forum but looking for more so we can pick someone to fill the main two rolls. So if you want to try just record a line or two and upload it. looks like the forum only accepts .mp3 or .wma files that we know of anyway.

Uploads so far:
Latent22
BlitzGirl
Valarya
yappobiscuits

And here is a castle I took a photo of a month ago in Austria.
Spoiler:
castle.jpg
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 am UTC

More greetONG:

Based on their enthusiasm I guess these two Beanies know each other.
Last edited by Flotter on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Would you just look at those emphasis marks? I think our Beanie-1 has a thing for Beanie-4...

*brings a castle*
Spoiler:
(Mont Saint-Michel)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Papal decree:

Spoiler:
Yes that's made of lego(s).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Actually, not technically true - there are no original castles in America, but there are a few replicas built by very wealthy people.

They seem to be more like crennelated mansions, though.

Castle as in medieval military fortification is quite a different ballgame.

higgs-boson wrote:It tells a tale. Where I am born you cannot travel along a major river without having a small castle in sight every 10 km. It looks like the battered lands spilled out warlords clan leaders created protective landed gentry. If there's a hill you could defend against a small army there has to be built a castle on top. No, the common commoner wasn't always satisfied with this development. Democracies weren't popular back then.

Though the story is probably more that castles are very, very old technology. Even by the time Columbus arrived in America they had already started to become outdated by advances in artillery...
Go Minim go!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 am UTC

I vote for yappobiscuits as the voice of cueball because I was surprised that he sounded EXACTLY(well very very close) like how I imagined Cueball sounds.
(would still like to hear other people though)

For the pope decree:
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am UTC

On the topic of the castle per area ratio of different places:

I went to the Lorelei - that famous rock on the Rhine with the beautiful maiden combing her hair and luring sailors to their deaths - about a month ago (it's just the best festival/concert location ever), and the Rhine valley at this point is crazily dense with castles, even for German standards. I think we drove 10 km and saw 17 castles, including a tiny little one in the middle of the river which was standing on a slightly bigger island (which was invisible due to the recent flood). That must have been the place where all the Romantic (as in the epoch) poets, painters and whatnot got their inspiration from (which is how the Lorelei-Legend began)

To visualize:
Spoiler:

and

Also, hello again, I officially ketchuped in time for the epicness :)

EDIT: Ooops, well I tried to obey the papal decree by posting images of castles, but mine isn't exactly mystical or impressive. Oh well, since it's in Germany I call Reformation!
"This Thread goes ever on and on,
down from the Page where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone
and we must ketchup if we can"

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Swein wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:(About having no castles in the US)
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Thanks everyone!
Welcome and happy delurking, Chinchokmataa!
Valarya wrote:BLINDPOST.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:In reply to yappobiscuits.. some Americans have been out of the country and have visited several castles.

You say that as if I said "of course no Americans have ever left the country or seen a castle"... sorry if it came across that way, I simply meant that there aren't any castles in America so IF anyone who lives there has never been out of the country (which is perfectly believable, I've never been out of Europe), they wouldn't have seen a castle. Not making generalisations at all. My point was mainly that even if someone's never seen a castle they probably still know all about them.

Oh lord. I'm sorry.. I seem to be having this problem lately: not coming across very well in text. Apparently I am extremely terrible at conveying emotion, or am a bad 'writer.' Or perhaps I just don't emote hard enough? Either way.. I was being pretend-mad the entire post so that I could say 'castle' a bunch. I know you weren't implying anything.

Oh, *feels silly*... Sarcasm/joking is hard to convey in text isn't it...

It tells a tale. Where I am born you cannot travel along a major river without having a small castle in sight every 10 km. It looks like the battered lands spilled out warlords clan leaders created protective landed gentry. If there's a hill you could defend against a small army there has to be built a castle on top. No, the common commoner wasn't always satisfied with this development. Democracies weren't popular back then.

Since democracies aren't popular anymore today, too, I wonder wether it will rain castles (or scythes, for that matter) soon. Maybe that'll turn into a political figure of speech.
Well given modern weaponry (fear, surprise...) I think castle technology will require a significant upgrade.

Yes, but in the modern (highly heretical) world the castles are built on the internet. The web-services getting more and heavier fortifications, protecting the precious data stored within (not to forget colourful banners)...

[edit] Ooooh! Pagepope! I want pictures of castles and fortifications. Beautiful, impressive, intimidating, mystical...

I don't think this is the best match for the figure-of-speech. Since we are so much globalized, I'd say today's match for a king is (still) the typical head of (European) state. But the landed gentry, the lesser nobility, .... Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple? Microsoft? Any larger complany with economic power and a hard lobby influence on the kingadministration and therefore a tight grip on the consumers[' throats].
Spoiler:
Joan Stark...:

Code: Select all

* Castle *  11/96

!_
                                                    |*~=-.,
                                                    |_,-'`
                                                    |
                                                    |
                                                   /^\
                     !_                           /   \
                     |*`~-.,                     /,    \
                     |.-~^`                     /#"     \
                     |                        _/##_   _  \_
                _   _|  _   _   _            [ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]
               [ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]            |_=_-=_ - =_|
             !_ |_=_ =-_-_  = =_|           !_ |=_= -    |
             |*`--,_- _        |            |*`~-.,= []  |
             |.-'|=     []     |   !_       |_.-"`_-     |
             |   |_=- -        |   |*`~-.,  |  |=_-      |
            /^\  |=_= -        |   |_,-~`  /^\ |_ - =[]  |
        _  /   \_|_=- _   _   _|  _|  _   /   \|=_-      |
       [ ]/,    \[ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]_/,    \[ ]=-    |
        |/#"     \_=-___=__=__- =-_ -=_ /#"     \| _ []  |
       _/##_   _  \_-_ =  _____       _/##_   _  \_ -    |\
      [ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]=_0~{_ _ _}~0   [ ]_[ ]_[ ]_[ ]=-   | \
      |_=__-_=-_  =_|-=_ |  ,  |     |_=-___-_ =-__|_    |  \
       | _- =-     |-_   | ((* |      |= _=       | -    |___\
       |= -_=      |=  _ |  `  |      |_-=_       |=_    |/+\|
       | =_  -     |_ = _ `-.-`       | =_ = =    |=_-   ||+||
       |-_=- _     |=_   =            |=_= -_     |  =   ||+||
       |=_- /+\    | -=               |_=- /+\    |=_    |^^^|
       |=_ |+|+|   |= -  -_,--,_      |_= |+|+|   |  -_  |=  |
       |  -|+|+|   |-_=  / |  | \     |=_ |+|+|   |-=_   |_-/
       |=_=|+|+|   | =_= | |  | |     |_- |+|+|   |_ =   |=/
       | _ ^^^^^   |= -  | |  <&>     |=_=^^^^^   |_=-   |/
       |=_ =       | =_-_| |  | |     |   =_      | -_   |
   jgs |_=-_       |=_=  | |  | |     |=_=        |=-    |
 `^^^^^^^^^^`^`^^`^`^`^^^""""""""^`^^``^^`^^`^^`^`^``^`^``^``^^

Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 am UTC

ONG and ONG.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 am UTC

LeahLemur wrote:On the topic of the castle per area ratio of different places:

I went to the Lorelei - that famous rock on the Rhine with the beautiful maiden combing her hair and luring sailors to their deaths - about a month ago (it's just the best festival/concert location ever), and the Rhine valley at this point is crazily dense with castles, even for German standards. I think we drove 10 km and saw 17 castles, including a tiny little one in the middle of the river which was standing on a slightly bigger island (which was invisible due to the recent flood). That must have been the place where all the Romantic (as in the epoch) poets, painters and whatnot got their inspiration from (which is how the Lorelei-Legend began)

SNAP!
Took that same photo when I was there a month ago. Did the Rhine cruise and saw the many castles there.

Spoiler:
rivercastle.jpg

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:On the topic of the castle per area ratio of different places:

SNAP!
Spoiler:

Took that same photo when I was there a month ago. Did the Rhine cruise and saw the many castles there.

Spoiler:
rivercastle.jpg

Did you go up on the rock? If yes, did you see many crazy people dressed in black listening to evil music? If no, did you hear them? ;-)
No kidding, the view from up there is amazing, I felt very very riverish and found the river very very seaish, which was confusing...

EDIT: Wait a second, I'm confused. The attached image is the picture you took, the one I posted the one from the castle's Wikipedia page, right? (Attaching the same image again would've been a mean trick to play) Well either the guy who put that picture up on Wikipedia was standing on the same boat at the same time right next to you and snapped exactly the same picture, or.... it's all related ;-)
Last edited by LeahLemur on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"This Thread goes ever on and on,
down from the Page where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone
and we must ketchup if we can"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 am UTC

marchlight wrote:Yappo, that was beautiful! Adding my accolades to the pile.

You guys sure were talkative today. My brain is a little mushy. I was promoted to managermolpy at work, effective today,<snip>

Congratulations!
Spoiler:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Would you just look at those emphasis marks? I think our Beanie-1 has a thing for Beanie-4...

*brings a castle*
Spoiler:
(Mont Saint-Michel)

Mirrored:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:OK finally got a chance to record a frame - I happened to choose G#414 because it has enough words to get a proper sense of the voice.

Recording is Audacity, with noise removal (it's a silly laptop mic) and silences chopped out to make it smaller. Still better than the wireless headset I started with though!

ETA: My voice isn't normally quite that deep, I've not been talking much this afternoon though.

Good work! Yeah it is a very strong deep voice! Good voice acting and everything. The only problem is I'm not sure if Cueball is that much of a man. It's hard to get the perfect voice though.

yappobiscuits wrote:I finally listened to everyone's voiceover samples (all three of them :P)... Yeah, Latent, I think you sound a bit too young for Cueball (I dunno how old you actually are, but you sound pretty young there anyway :P). BlitzGirl, your voice reminds me a lot of Cortana from the Halo series! Which is cool, not how I imagined Megan, but could work. Val, yours was great, I think you might work very well as Megan! Anyway, we need more, come on people, molpy up!

I'll even add mine to the pile (four lines instead of just one because I'm greedy :P) although I doubt we'll end up going for a British Cueball... still, just for fun :P

Yeah you have a wonderful voice and love the voice acting! It's just the will the they accept the accent... Yeah never liked my voice. I'm in my mid thirties now but don't really look or sound my age yet.

And you've got one vote from adnapemit already! Do we have to make two voice over versions? One UK English and one US English?

LeahLemur wrote:Did you go up on the rock? If yes, did you see many crazy people dressed in black listening to evil music? If no, did you hear them? ;-)
No kidding, the view from up there is amazing, I felt very very riverish and found the river very very seaish, which was confusing...

Nah I was on a Bus tour so we just had a bit of time in Boppard and the river cruise and then we were off on the bus again. Was good though because it had been raining on us all the time before but we had beautiful weather for that cruise.

Now I have to edit mine to add your edit!
LeahLemur wrote:EDIT: Wait a second, I'm confused. The attached image is the picture you took, the one I posted the one from the castle's Wikipedia page, right? (Attaching the same image again would've been a mean trick to play) Well either the guy who put that picture up on Wikipedia was standing on the same boat at the same time right next to you and snapped exactly the same picture, or.... it's all related ;-)

Yeah I took that picture as we speed past in the bus. I was a bit tricky though because I cropped it a little to match the one you posted as my shot wasn't well centered when taken on the fly like that.

ETA: Back on topic do you guys think that book beanie-4 is a boy or a girl beanie? The hair could suggest girl maybe. Hard to know. Its interesting that the greetings all have the same characters but there are different inclinations which does suggest that these extra bits add tone or emphasis but do they also change the meaning much?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 am UTC

What if everything takes place on MarsNew Netherlands?

BlitzGirl

Re: New What-If

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 am UTC

I quite approve of GLR's title text for the final illustration. :)

ETA for castle-bringing:
Spoiler:
Oh no! It's been overrun by raptorcats!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Flotter wrote:What if everything takes place on MarsNew Netherlands?

Woot, our little country gets bigger and bigger!
In that case the sea level rise would be explained, dunno if the planets in the night sequence match though.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 am UTC

ONGing up the hill

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:ETA: Back on topic do you guys think that book beanie-4 is a boy or a girl beanie? The hair could suggest girl maybe. Hard to know. Its interesting that the greetings all have the same characters but there are different inclinations which does suggest that these extra bits add tone or emphasis but do they also change the meaning much?

Girl. Specifically, the beanie, hair and walk/posture make her look like a female uni student for some reason. That said, unless she's on placement with the surveying crew, maaybe unlikely.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Latent22 wrote:We could even use the likes of electronic instruments with each beanish character assigned a 'note'. This would make it so you learn to recognize the words repeating but it will make no sense otherwise which is the point.

I like this idea. We could play more than one note at a time to incorporate the diacritics. And use a funny-sounding instrument/effects that sounds sort of vocal. Or I could get my robot choir to sing 'blah' or 'chirp' or 'watermelon canteloupe' in the required pitches.

I also thought we could have some ambient whispers, where we talk (behind's Cuegan's backs) about the dominant rumours that came up in the thread during those frames. e.g, 'I bet this is a metaphor for pregnancy.' 'do you think that's sand?' 'Maybe the sea is made of [semen|coffee] (several people whispering possibilities at once)' 'I think Megan and Cueball are an item' 'Did you see that? Maybe it's a [mole|compy].' This way more people could get their voices in, if they wanted, and we'd capture some of the musings of the OTT as well as the OTC.

I can't record anything for the pope right now; maybe later.

Sorry Meant to reply to this earlier but couldn't at the time I read it. Yeah good ideas for the beanish. One Idea I had was making the 3 beanies each have their own octave. So one will be high pitch one low and one in the middle. I think having a base instrument sound (and you can create your own instrument sound from an audio clip I think) and having notes for each character. We could then use effects for some of the diacritics. One could make the note longer or shorter. Another double the volume. Another make the pitch start normal but then go up high sort of like what we do at the end of questions.

We could try choosing different instrument sounds for different characters or try to group characters together so that say 5 similar characters share the same instrument at different notes so we don't have too many different instrument sounds.

Also kind of like the idea of the whispers. These would have to be layered in at the very end as they will span more than one newpix. Could then produce two versions with and without OTT whispers if we wanted.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am UTC

I like the idea of Beanie-4 as a girl because the interaction possibly shows "friendly" Beanie-1 in a whole new light. :mrgreen:
(Kind of looks like he's glancing back at her over his shoulder in the current newpix.)

And castle:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am UTC

You know what (this may have been mentioned):

I really don't think they're beanies (or helmets) but headbands like Rambo! Maybe it's a Rambo training camp.
It's a Rambo training camp. 8-)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:51 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:I wonder how many of us have had birthdays during Time. I know I have.

Seeing as back in the past age hath come up...

{P1045}
I have.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am UTC

ONGpy up...

Castle! Image
More “beanie”-wearning Beanies. So either these are all work(wo)men, or it's an optional but popular fashion item.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:02 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:02 am UTC

This is proof, if it were needed, that we don't see every piece of land they walk across. Compare the zoomed out version to the bits we've seen, and there's a lot we didn't see.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 am UTC

mscha wrote:ONGpy up...
Spoiler:

Castle! Image

(you are lucky, because I am soooo nice!)

It's the FrenchDutch Foreign Legion!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:09 am UTC

foilman wrote:This is proof, if it were needed, that we don't see every piece of land they walk across. Compare the zoomed out version to the bits we've seen, and there's a lot we didn't see.

I think that's fairly obvious, by now.
The OTC is the same thing a movie would when they show a long walk. A typical movie wouldn't accelerate the trip linearly, but it'd show a few scenes along the way in “real time”. The difference in the OTC is that “real time” is a lot slower, and that we get to see far more “scenes” than in the typical movie. But considering the distance they must have walked, and the much smaller distance in the (very pretty, but not praticularly accurate) panorama views, there must be quite a big typical distance between ‘scenes’.

This also means that the Inside time between newpix is extremely variable. During the Long Night it was regular, about 6½ minutes per frame, IIRC, but during the walk it is typically maybe 10-30 seconds between frames in a scene, and who knows how long (minutes, hours) between the last frame in a scene and the first frame in the next scene.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am UTC

More Beanies! Yay! Image

I wonder what the relationship is between the Beanies and the non-beanie'd Beanish speakers (like our expanding friend in the city).

*castle*
Spoiler:
Neuschwanstein, naturally.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am UTC

I don't sound like Cueball at all, and anyway, we can't have a Cueball with a Dutch accent. But I don't want to be a spoilsport, so here.

For the pope:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Re: Castle? Castle!

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Prediction: Fortune smiles on Cuegan and they find the assistance that their plight required. ...Or do they?

They get to the castle and knock.
Beardo opens the door...

Beardo: Hello.
Cueball: Hi! I wonder if you could help us. You see, the sea is rising... do you have a phone we might use?

Spoiler:
Castles don't have phones

I thought you were going a completely different direction with this scenario.
Spoiler:
So you got caught with a flat; well, how 'bout that! rising sea; well, glory be!
Well Babies, don't you panic
By the light of the night it'll all seem all right
I'll get you satanic mechanic.

Edit: For the Pope, here's an appropriate castle, which looks a bit different by daylight:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:You were expecting WARP speed?

Spoiler:
Loni & Carl`s dogs [backyard fun] [photo1].jpg

Looks more like "Warg speed" there :lol:
Happy molpuppies are happy!
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 am UTC

Extra ONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Hmm, I have still missed one EOTEOT.

The beanies are building the castle, under the command of a misguided scientist that is trying to revive his long dead wife. Queball will be forced to build the castle and the equipment. Megan will be imprisoned but not harmed. She'll be treated well, but she won't be allowed to leave the castle. She'll live in a guilded cage.[[snip]]Thus ends Time.

EOT End Of Time

Well, if the Beanies' civilization is so advanced that they have manufacturing Guilds, they're well on the way to... World Domination!
(Sorry, Mr. Dead Person, but some homophonic typos are just too good to pass up)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:46 am UTC

By papal decree, a "model" of Neuschwanstein... ;)

Spoiler:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am UTC

mscha wrote:Extra ONG...

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed moply food trough wiper.

Does the wiki already have a fan fiction section?
This would be a nice example of cross-reference-fan-fiction.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

ONGER.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed moply food trough wiper.

FTFM, thanks!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TimeLurker

Re: ...look somewhere other than the trees.

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:keep walkONG, but you won't knock down our wall.
Spoiler:

I've seen VeggieTales references from you and Angelastic now. Keep them coming, they always make me smile :D

Edit: Well, I'm goat I guess. If I should ever be bumped to Pope, I decree that though shalt
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Last edited by TimeLurker on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”