1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 am UTC

Bumped Firstposts:
svenman wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Most of my info comes originally (from my viewpoint) from Azimov on Numbers. The set of integers is aleph-null. The set of real numbers is aleph-1 (between any two reals, there are infinite reals, not so with integers). The set of curves on a plane is aleph-2.

This is from an old book read years ago, from old memory...

Hi all, delurking and blindposting whlie ketchupping (our tribe has a strange dialect of English, hasn't it?).

Fun fact: It can be shown by a diagonal argument that the cardinality of the set of rational numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of integer numbers, i. e. aleph-null. However, also between any two rationals, there are infinite rationals. So, the equivalent statement for real numbers, while true, does not by itself imply that the cardinality of reals is necessarily larger than aleph-null.

ETA: Of course someone else already had pointed out the same, I knew I should have checked out the rest of the same page at least before posting...

der_Metzger wrote:Did anyone else see them get to the village, have a flashback to the adventures of Link, then expect them to run into an Ironknuckle upon entering the big room?

I went to the trouble to make a nice png of this with Rebonack but the spamfilter wants me to post a few times before I can link to it.

Hi svenman and der_Metzger, and welcome!

And yes, memories of video games and other fantasy dungeon experiences do seem to come to mind during these newpix. Optional Papal decree: describe a relevant fantasy dungeon experience. (Keep it G- or PG-rated, please.)
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Tatiana

Thanks for the meowlpies.

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 am UTC

So awesome how the OTTers are helping me improving my foruming skillz. This time meowlpy down for realz, y'all.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Just for practice
molpydown1.jpg
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Anyone want to try to make the OtherComic a trending topic?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 am UTC

ThinkONG...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Oh, no! HairdoB has to think about it! I was expecting an answer right now...

B Name suggested by BlitzGirl, in contrast to Beardo.
Last edited by Ximenez on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am UTC

Hmmm, I was about to go with GIGGLONG myself.

Either way, I think her translation skills are somewhat suspect.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Say, where is htom? Haven't seen him for a while.

htom hasn't been spotted on the OTT since the end of MayH. Last we heard, he was discouraged by a 50-page ketchup. However, I have seen him posting on another site recently, so he's still alive. :)

Unfortunate, but understandable. I'm struggling my way through a 15-page ketchup - I'll see you in the near-present

*Pauses to remember those lost to Time*
He/Him/His Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am UTC

The suspense is killing me! We need a translator, otherwise Beanish will be a mystery forever.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Ketchup:
As for the voice-over - has anyone a list of all submitted voice samples? I'm starting to forgetting them and I'm too lazy to search for them in the OTT. :D
I liked buffygirl-2 more than buffygirl-1, though to me I think Valarya fits better for Megan.
And I still like yappo's Cueball the most.

Angelastic wrote:With this talk of Cantor dust, I feel like this little video/sound clip I made of a Cantor ternary set made out of Jonathan Coulton singing the words 'Cantor ternary set' is relevant.

Haha, that made me laugh out loud. :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And when they're with the beanies, "A Cleanable Bum Genie".

I am not clear on what precisely a "Bum Genie" would be, but I am glad that it can be cleaned and I hope it stays the hell away from me.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am UTC

Whew, keught up...
No time for a proper ketchup post, but that's okay, since I was ninja'd on pretty much everything I would have written.

And just in time for the excitement of the OTC! Is the long-haired (wo)man going to speak in Cueganlish? And if so, will it be a broken version or heavily accented, and how will that be depicted? Will (s)he say anything that will help with Beanon translation?

ETA: Happy 200th, Montov! Here's a cake based on your avatar.
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:

I am not clear on what precisely a "Bum Genie" would be, but I am glad that it can be cleaned and I hope it stays the hell away from me.

I understand 'bum' means something different in the USA|, but to me it means arse/ass/buttocks, so I'm pondering the difference between a cleanable-bum genie and a cleanable bum-genie. I guess the former would appear out of a magic bum after you've been rubbing it clean.

I second NoMouse's call for a list of submitted voice samples.

|Not meaning to imply that yappobiscuits is from the USA; I wasn't actually paying attention to who said what when I wrote that, but still, it's better to clarify for everyone.
Last edited by Angelastic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 am UTC

der_Metzger wrote:Did anyone else see them get to the village, have a flashback to the adventures of Link, then expect them to run into an Ironknuckle upon entering the big room?

I went to the trouble to make a nice png of this with Rebonack but the spamfilter wants me to post a few times before I can link to it.

Throwing first-post forward. Welcome, der_Metzger! Look forward to seeing your png when you can post it.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Ketchup:
As for the voice-over - has anyone a list of all submitted voice samples? I'm starting to forgetting them and I'm too lazy to search for them in the OTT. :D

This is what I could find:

Cueball:
Latent22
yappobiscuits
ucim
DavidRa
mscha
ChronosDragon

Megan:
BlitzGirl
Valarya
buffygirl 1
buffygirl 2
buffygirl 3
lmjb1964 1
lmjb1964 2
Last edited by Kazza3 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:A quick molpy up to say...that chair looks kind of modern.

I agree; the chair looks like a modern bentwood style with closed legs. And that looks uncomfortably like a modern in-box on top of the desk (although it may just be a stack of books). And what's the round thing atop what I'm arbitrarily going to call a bookcase behind Farrah's* desk? A terrestrial globe? A crystal ball? A shrunken head?

Sample chairs from ImageAmazon and ImageNational Office Furniture (although both of these are called "guest chairs").

* Sorry; showing my age. I see hair that style and "Farrah" is the name that comes inevitably to mind.
Spoiler:
deskchair.png
deskchair.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 12745 times
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am UTC

isengrimthereckless wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:*snip*

You wouldn't be the first, judging by some the stuff BlitzGirl has found. But the chaos caused is terrible, since we have no way of seeing what post(s) is (are) edited without re-reading the entire thread. Gonna take a Time Lord Randall himself to fix the disaster if you edit something located earlier in Time than BlitzGirl's current location, since afaik nobody else is reading the entire thread, so nobody would be able to tell us you made the edits...

As a mad old man with a box, I can assure you that edits resolve themselves... by and large.

I couldn't resist the pull of the silly quote, but now back to the time diving, er, blitzing. 361/1116

Throwing first-post forward. Welcome, Isengrim the Reckless! (Of course, you won't see this welcome for a week or two...)

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am UTC

I've just caught up a couple of days worth of frames... that's amazing. I left with the beanies drawing the sea rising, and it was pretty sure something exciting was about to come, but I never dreamed of such sights. I don't think we've ever seen so much novelty in the OTC in such a short period. I really hope it's not because we're getting close to the end.

Anyway, lots of updates need to be made to the map. I didn't get a clue from the map of the Beanies, I'll try to find out if y'all have been smarter :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Blindposting during ketchup, a few pages behind.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet (because, well, blindposting) but the "stained-glass windows" in the room with the person at the desk reminds me of Archimedes: "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the earth". A fitting sort of motto for a society of engineers....

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

I understand 'bum' means something different in the USA|, but to me it means arse/ass/buttocks, so I'm pondering the difference between a cleanable-bum genie and a cleanable bum-genie. I guess the former would appear out of a magic bum after you've been rubbing it clean.

I second NoMouse's call for a list of submitted voice samples.

|Not meaning to imply that yappobiscuits is from the USA; I wasn't actually paying attention to who said what when I wrote that, but still, it's better to clarify for everyone.

I'm pretty sure bum means the same thing to you, yappo and I. And I was reading it as cleanable bum-genie.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:More musician discussion:

So, what have we got so far for a possible OTB? (This is from memory, sorry if I missed anyone.) I'm not necessarily suggesting that this will definitely happen, but we might as well have a list anyway.

Yappobiscuits: Piano/keyboards, guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, ukelele, percussion, voice
Fhorn: french horn
Valarya: trumpet
lmjb1964: percussion, viola, voice
NoMouse: trumpet
ucim: piano, guitar, hammer dulcimer, accordion
Ximenez: ?
HAL9000: piano
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?
Angelastic: rainstick
Kazza3: clarinet, alto sax, guitar, piano, voice

The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

Add me to the list: currently violoncello (both acoustic and electric) , and a miniscule bit of electric bass. Under pain of comfy chair, I could dig into my dark and mysterious past to play clarinet, sax, flute, and recorder, but I'd really rather not :oops: .
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:Oh, no! HairdoB has to think about it! I was expecting an answer right now...

B Name suggested by BlitzGirl, in contrast to Beardo.

Hairdo does not seem a proper name for a beautifulYES I STILL KNOW woman with such pretty long hair.

Try saying "Last night I dreamed of Hairdo." without feeling very, very strange.

Maybe we should wait until we know more about her position.
If the name has a relation to the person, it sticks more. Which may be the reason we haven't agreed on the names of the three original beanies, yet.

YES I STILL KNOWGrowl.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:I definitely like the themes, I'd tend to want them in more of a leitmotify direction, rather than having 'main' themes as such. For Cuegan's (FTFY) theme/motif, I'd tend to have two short motifs (only 3-4 notes) each for Cueball and Megan, for when they're apart, and then the Cuegan theme is the combination of them.

MEGBALL'sCuegan's* theme: I wasn't sure whether to have individual themes for each of them or one for them both, went for the latter, but your suggestion is a good way to do both. And yes, the Beanie's theme was always going to be contrasting to previous themes.
* :P
You might also write one Cuegan theme, and it's played a third (quint, octave... a drummer writing here) higher when Megan is alone, and deeper when Cueball is alone.

And I liked all voice samples, since every single one gives a different mood to the OTC. My favourites so far are buffygirl-2 and Chronosdragon, the latter being slowed down in Audacity by 10%.

foilman wrote:ThinkONG...
Spoiler:

I'm so hoping for this:
Hairdo wrote:Excusez-moi, je ne vous comprends pas.

Her hair is similar to LaPetite's...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And you can add viola to my list. Your comment about brass players reminds me of an old joke--what's the definition of an optimist? A tuba player with a pager.

Done. And haha, haven't heard that one (or its variations) in a while.

Oh, dear, Imjb1964 -- you have our sympathies.

Definition of a string quartet: one good violinist, one bad violinist, one former violinist, and one who hates violinists.

But we'd sound great in that hall, eh?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

SomewhatONG...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote: My wedding is in 6 days, followed by honeymoon, so the likelihood of me catching up or even merely keeping up with the present in the near future is next to zero. I hope you are all as wonderful as ever, though. I do miss it all! I may check in a few more times over the next few days, but not with much.

Waittaminutt... Blitzgirl is bridemolpying at your wedding? See, it's all connected! (after all, how could there possibly be more than one wedding going on IRL :twisted:
resume
Former OTTer

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

foilman wrote:SomewhatONG...
Spoiler:

Hey! Farrah speaks Captcha!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ETA: Happy 200th, Montov! Here's a cake based on your avatar.
Spoiler:

I'll eat half now, and put the other half in a doggy bag. Thanks.

And, WTF, somehow Hairdo is able to speak words backwords and forwards at the same time.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

foilman wrote:SomewhatONG...
Spoiler:

Oh, now I see, she hasn't cut her hair because she's been too busy doing multiple Beanie drugs.

cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:
So, what have we got so far for a possible OTB? (This is from memory, sorry if I missed anyone.) I'm not necessarily suggesting that this will definitely happen, but we might as well have a list anyway.

Yappobiscuits: Piano/keyboards, guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, ukelele, percussion, voice
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?

The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

Add me to the list: currently violoncello (both acoustic and electric) , and a miniscule bit of electric bass. Under pain of comfy chair, I could dig into my dark and mysterious past to play clarinet, sax, flute, and recorder, but I'd really rather not :oops: .

Done!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
somewhat.png

somewhat2.png
Go Minim go!

HES

Ketchup: Part 1

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Aha, real internet again!
Part 1: 1103-1112

yappobiscuits wrote:Me too. When I was very young my family would go on holiday to North Wales every year, and they have lots of pretty 4 castles. I remember going up and down spiral staircases was THE COOLEST THING EVER as a kid :P

North Wales is a goldmine for castles, had a great holiday there recently.

Megan wrote:Our castle was too small.

I'm not sure what noise came out of me when I saw this ong, but it was far too emotional for a simple webcomic.

@Valarya: I too, struggle with the lack of tone-of-voice on the interwebs. Emoticons/smileys just don't cut it

yappobiscuits wrote:I had some artistic urges, so here's a present present!
(Note: I made sure to include all the landmarks, but obviously things are very much not to scale.)
Spoiler:

Seaish version.

There are not enough footnotes to describe this - Amazing! (Or Yappomazing, to quote pelrigg)

Valarya wrote:More cute stuff Image in spoiler tags. If you want to.

I love you for this

nerdsniped wrote:(though I'm not quite certain of the question)

6x9 of course

iisjreg wrote:To commemorate page 1111, I present relics of eons4 ago:
Page 11:

Spoiler:
Page Pope: wgasa
wgasa wrote:i'm fairly sure some people have noticed but i'm not sure it's been explicitly stated. the image is changing without any need for refreshing. just people are talking about refreshing.

there's a bit of javascript (time07) that i have no idea what it does. might be something to do with it.

Somebody noticed the javascript!

Phew, this numbers talk is really slowing me down. Going to have to take a break
He/Him/His Image

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Surely they have to introduce themselves now? With actual names?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

squonk wrote:Surely they have to introduce themselves now? With actual names?

It'd surely be interesting to know Queball's real name.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Image
Spoiler:
somewhat.png

somewhat2.png

Is there evidence here that beanie is a right to left language? She seems initially to have got it backwards and then switched.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Is there evidence here that beanie is a right to left language? She seems initially to have got it backwards and then switched.

Not just backwards, she got it at the wrong angle too!?

squonk

Postby squonk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
squonk wrote:Surely they have to introduce themselves now? With actual names?

It'd surely be interesting to know Queball's real name.

"My name is Jeff Albertson, but everyone calls me Cueball."

der_Metzger

Postby der_Metzger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Aha, attachments work this second round!

Back to the Adventures of Link. I suspected there would be dire consequences to entering the castle...
Attachments
xkcd-time-castle-rebonack.png

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

der_Metzger wrote:Aha, attachments work this second round!

Back to the Adventures of Link. I suspected there would be dire consequences to entering the castle...

Welcome Der Metzger. You can check your sanity (if applicable) in at the front door, we are not responsible for the loss of said sanity if it's not checked in.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:

ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?

Done!

If you put in any trombone parts, you can add me to the brass section, it should help to fill up the middle/lower range. You're still lacking quite a lot of bass though!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Spoiler:

Walter Bishop, Ph.D., would almost certainly have an explanation.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Spoiler:

Walter Bishop, Ph.D., would almost certainly have an explanation.

Yeah, but I really don't want to risk an LSD overdose.

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”