1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tom17

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Tom17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Ah, "..." implied 9's going on forever, not that the number had ended.

My apologies, I was late to the discussion and didn't eat my Ketchup first :(

I remember somewhere further back in this discussion that someone said infinity (Which is what you are dealing with by having the 9 recurring forever) just doesn't play nice with conventional maths. It breaks it.

It's just breaking it here, because no matter how long you recur that 9 for, there will always be an, infinitesimally small mathematical difference between them.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Wut???ONG
Spoiler:

Prediction:
Nextpic -- Cueball: Huh.
NextNextpic -- Megan: Is there someone else here we can speak to?

ETA: Pagepope recursive decree: most memorable Pagepope decree of the past -- especially the brilliant and the stupid!

ETA2: Actually I would love to see all the decrees listed somewhere, but that would be beyond the scope of Pope powers...
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wildhound wrote:
mscha wrote:
Hairdo wrote:You arose here from the desert below?
Nobody ....pires there.

Edit: note the use of ° as a question mark, pretty much proving that we were right.
I can't figure out that second-last word. Anyone?

If you look at the faded diagonal text behind it, it seems to end in "ves". I wonder if this was a failed attempt to say "Nobody lives there".

I vote for "nobody respires there". That would mean nobody breathes there; not a bad cognate for nobody lives there.

My clever translation was ninja'd.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:MolPope up!
Now, let's find out what they're WOW-ing about this time :D
Decree: PREDICTIONS!

Crow: More rockclimbing?
Servo: More rockclimbing.
Oh, ch*rp, that's us, isn't it? We're the MSTK 3000 crew...
image.jpg
M2138
image.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 12069 times

ETA my first manip, please be nice!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Zorin_75

Re: Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP145 (13%)

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:astrotter (NP93 and SBN sig...): "It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this..."

On the same page:
*** wrote:Also, holy shit this thead is 93 pages long

:lol:
Go Minim go!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Happy 200th, Wildhound!
Spoiler:

Thanks! Apparently I post a lot more than I think I do.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Tom17

Postby Tom17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:But the wink makes me think you are just fukkin' with me. Yes?

Nope, it was just a brain fart. It didn't click to me that you had recurring decimals there. That makes both of my assertions in my post irrelevant :)

However, I still consider .50000... to not be equal to .49999... :)

ETA: Just read the wiki page on it and now my mind is opened up to the idea again. Bah.
Last edited by Tom17 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
mscha wrote:
Nobody ....pires there.

Edit: note the use of ° as a question mark, pretty much proving that we were right.

If you look at the faded diagonal text behind it, it seems to end in "ves". I wonder if this was a failed attempt to say "Nobody lives there".

I vote for "nobody respires there". That would mean nobody breathes there; not a bad cognate for nobody lives there.

Unspoilering, cuz noone saw my translation anyway

Expires, etc spirit, 'spire is a good root
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Musician wars:
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:More musician discussion:
The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

:lol: I'll be sure to hang onto this one. I find myself in the company of multiple brass players far too often, and this is a delicious addition to my arsenal if I ever need to remind them how much better my instrument of choice is. :twisted:

Dual Papacies:
Spoiler:
TimeLurker wrote:
SBN wrote:Here's my ruling, since you asked for one. You are co-popes and co-goats. (Not that I have any power to make rulings.)

That won't do. How can we follow the decrees of 2 different popes at the same time?

Simple. We ignore both! :mrgreen:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

There's another thing I'm wondering about - the look of those windows appears really strange. Any real world architectural style I'm overlooking?
Go Minim go!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:Anybody know what the background says?

My best guess is:

To This Fortress

Throwing first-post forward. Welcome, Devrelm!

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

First, a question...I know I've seen graphs of posts vs. time for this thread, but I haven't seen any recently. Is the post rate actually accelerating, or does it just feel that way because I'm making an effort to read every post now?

[heretical]Second, a possible solution if post rate is indeed accelerating. Would it make sense to give Time its own sub-forum, which would contain the OTT along with other, smaller, specialized threads (for instance, one for academic geekery, one for the OTC film, etc.)? This would keep ketchup under control while allowing this awesome community to continue to expand. And I don't throw "awesome community" around lightly...I've spent countless hours in various online communities, and I've spent, by my count, nearly a thousand hours running a community of my own, and it doesn't shame me in the least to say that the OTT is, overall, the best online community I've ever been a part of.[/heretical]
Lost forever in time...

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech? She either says the words "TO THIS FORTRESS" or not; if she says it, why not include those words in line, and if she doesn't, why is it appearing on the frame as if we're reading her thoughts? Maybe she really is saying more than one phrase at the same time, with the utterances overlapping, like a malfunctioning protocol droid or a telepath. :? :?

I think it's just a neat way to transfer the difficulty of making out words when listening to somebody with a very strange pronounciation to writing...

Imagine listening to a piece of music that someone plays very, very badly, constantly correcting themselves. You'll have quite a problem recognizing what they're trying to play, if you don't guess the tune - you won't know which sounds were mistakes and which were corrections, as music doesn't have an easy and obvious way to say "wait, no, take that back". If you couldn't say "uh, no, that's the wrong word, I mean something else" in English, your words would spoke spike speak say something luke like love this.
Last edited by SinusPi on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:MolPope up!
Now, let's find out what they're WOW-ing about this time :D
Decree: PREDICTIONS!

Crow: More rockclimbing?
Servo: More rockclimbing.
Oh, ch*rp, that's us, isn't it? We're the MSTK 3000 crew...

ETA my first manip, please be nice!

I especially like the fact that you've got Joel pointing at the beesnake...

ETA:
Joel: You could spend a thousand lifetimes on the Satellite of Love, coming up with clever things to say,
thinking as hard as you could, and you would never guess that conversations had things like this in it.
Crow: Is that from The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao?
Joel: Nooooo....
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Molpy up!
Valarya wrote:I actually thought Megan 1 sounded a bit ... snarky. :P Megan 2 was great, though!! Also, I like the idea of everyone speaking the same lines. So here's my version of the line you and BlitzGirl did.

4! I think I like yours best so far actually.

BlitzGirl, my only critique of yours was that it was rather TOO calm, slow, and not filled with enough wonder... maybe try again a bit differently, if you want?
NetWeasel wrote:That thing in the window...

IT'S A FACE!
THIS FACE!
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Wait... could it be...?
Spoiler:
Have I finally appeared in the OTC?!

NoMouse wrote:<snip>wow, new Val's sample, now I'm convinced that's the best fit so far (of course from non-linear non-subjective viewpoint).

...is it a ball of wibbly wobbly voicey-woicey stuff?

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundotter.jpg

otter window.png
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

I probably won't put out these flames, and I hope I won't fan them, regarding randomness/normality of pi (the original source of all this infinity stuff)

You can access any hex digit of pi with this formula, you can test a random digit for randomness. Because all the tests ever done have shown normal distribution, the chances that pi is not a normal number is vanishingly small, and becoming smaller at an exponential rate as computing power increases.

I don't have a PhD in math, (just a graduate minor) so that's all I'm going to say.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Tom17 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Ah, "..." implied 9's going on forever, not that the number had ended.

My apologies, I was late to the discussion and didn't eat my Ketchup first :(

I remember somewhere further back in this discussion that someone said infinity (Which is what you are dealing with by having the 9 recurring forever) just doesn't play nice with conventional maths. It breaks it.

It's just breaking it here, because no matter how long you recur that 9 for, there will always be an, infinitesimally small mathematical difference between them.

Sorry to disappoint, but no again. Real numbers are infinite decimals. You can't write most of them out completely for that reason. A few, like 3.6 actually end in all zeros 3.600000...(forever). We don't bother to and don't need to write all the zeros. But they really are part of the number. Others are different pi, for example needs all those digits. If you stop writing them after a while, you don't have pi, but an approximation. Likewise .999...(forever) needs all the nines. If you stop writing them you don't have the same number but an approximation. The number IS equal to 1.

Rational numbers, by the way, have infinite decimal expansions that repeat. So x = .4151741517... (repeating 41517 forever) is rational. Multiply it by 100,000 and you get 41517.4151741517...(repeating 41517 forever). Subtract these and you get 99999x = 41517, since the decimal part goes to all zeros. So x = 41517/99999. You can prove this in the other direction just using long division.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

tchemgrrl

Postby tchemgrrl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

edo wrote:Mscha: Respires!

I think "respires" makes total sense, as an English speaker with enough knowledge of romance languages to either sound erudite or nonsensical. I know the long latinate words because they're usually the same in English, except when they're not. (Don't get embarrassed in Spain, that's for sure.) She also may have learned Cueganish in some other part of the world, or secondhand from a Beanish teacher with a terrible accent.

It seems like she knows enough of the similarities between the languages to know some possible words that overlay correctly, even if the context is not quite appropriate. Any bodies left in the desert don't respire much.

(Hi OTT-ers. Been following along off and on since about page 10 and this frame got me out of lurker-dom.)

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Two of their heads move to the back of the room. They probably hear somebody coming. The bead curtain did not move.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

With regard to voice actors, it might be nice for one of our non-native-English speakers to voice Hairdo/Hypathia/Female Translator. Especially if she's not confident in her English pronunciation. (I have every sympathy; I spoke the world's worst French.)

Hesitations and mispronunciations, with a thick accent, would be entirely appropriate.

(As others have said, I remain amazed at the written-English fluency of the non-native-English-speaking posters in this thread. My written French was never that good.)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:[heretical]Second, a possible solution if post rate is indeed accelerating. Would it make sense to give Time its own sub-forum, which would contain the OTT along with other, smaller, specialized threads (for instance, one for academic geekery, one for the OTC film, etc.)? This would keep ketchup under control while allowing this awesome community to continue to expand. And I don't throw "awesome community" around lightly...I've spent countless hours in various online communities, and I've spent, by my count, nearly a thousand hours running a community of my own, and it doesn't shame me in the least to say that the OTT is, overall, the best online community I've ever been a part of.[/heretical]

That sounds like a bad (terrible) idea to me. While I'm not interested in everything here, I'm happy to skip over the stuff of less interest. On the other hand, I'm being introduced to a lot of things I didn't know or have forgotten. If we split the thread it will be hard (impossible) to get it all. Serendipity is a good thing. I think it would split the community and that would be a bad (terrible) thing.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:[heretical]Second, a possible solution if post rate is indeed accelerating. Would it make sense to give Time its own sub-forum, which would contain the OTT along with other, smaller, specialized threads (for instance, one for academic geekery, one for the OTC film, etc.)? This would keep ketchup under control while allowing this awesome community to continue to expand. And I don't throw "awesome community" around lightly...I've spent countless hours in various online communities, and I've spent, by my count, nearly a thousand hours running a community of my own, and it doesn't shame me in the least to say that the OTT is, overall, the best online community I've ever been a part of.[/heretical]

I'm not sure I would enjoy this as much. I think it would divide us OTTers and lead to arguments when "off-topic" discussions start ("No no no, you can't do math here, this is the music sub-forum-thread."). Part of what makes this thread great is the mix of what you see here. Beside, then we wouldn't be OTTers anymore, but a group of MTTersMany Ture Threads.

ETA: What I meant to say was "Well put Mr. Professor Grumbles."
Last edited by TimeLurker on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

That sounds like a bad (terrible) idea to me. While I'm not interested in everything here, I'm happy to skip over the stuff of less interest. On the other hand, I'm being introduced to a lot of things I didn't know or have forgotten. If we split the thread it will be hard (impossible) to get it all. Serendipity is a good thing. I think it would split the community and that would be a bad (terrible) thing.

Deja vu! It's been suggested before and that is always the conclusion we have come to. This is a party! You don't have to hang out with the math nerds by the punch bowl, but if they're saying something interesting, go over and join in the conversation!

eta: yes I know that's not really what deja vu is. On a side note, has anyone here not experienced deja vu? My wife never has, and every time I tell her I have deja vu she says "but this hasn't ever happened before" and I try to explain that that's the point but she doesn't get it because she hasn't experienced it...
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech? She either says the words "TO THIS FORTRESS" or not; if she says it, why not include those words in line, and if she doesn't, why is it appearing on the frame as if we're reading her thoughts? Maybe she really is saying more than one phrase at the same time, with the utterances overlapping, like a malfunctioning protocol droid or a telepath. :? :?

I think it's just a neat way to transfer the difficulty of making out words when listening to somebody with a very strange pronounciation to writing...

That's what I thought up until the most recent blotch-speech. But it doesn't make sense. If the pronunciation is poor, but they can make out the word "DESERT," why are they also "hearing" SAND? If it were a game of Charades, that would make sense, but it doesn't make sense for spoken words. How could a mispronounced word sound like DESERT and SAND both?

shurikt wrote:It's from the perspective of Cueball & Megan's comprehension of the speech. When it's completely foreign, it's in a foreign alphabet. When it's something they can understand, the overlapping meanings appear all at once. Hence the overlapping "here/fortress"

Or so I have led myself to believe.

That's an interesting idea, but again, she's supposed to be saying their words. Naturally when someone says DESERT (either properly or oddly pronounced), you might also think SAND, and if someone says HERE while in a fortress you might also think THIS FORTRESS. But you don't hear (and authors don't write down for you) those related words and phrases because they're implicit in the meaning. If you can't make out the sound of DESERT then you also can't make out SAND, unless it's Charades or Pictionary or telepathy instead of speech.

jovialbard wrote:Ok, I'm leaning more to the idea that she's speaking very slowly and that the faded text is something she's trying to say before she picks what she really wants to say because she thinks it sounds smarter or more specific (or she's just messing with them). I also suspect that it's not separated by elipsis because she kind of whispering one under her breath while saying the other, something like "To thisYou arose fortresshere from the sanddeserts below-ackadoodle" (I'm assuming the little o above a word is pronounced ackadoodle, of course) It's an interesting way to represent that, though perhaps not perfectly analogous to how it would sound.

Possible. I'm reluctant to interpret gigantic but faded-out text that overlaps other words as a whisper, though, because a perfectly good comic convention for low or whispered speech already exists. (You just used it yourself; smaller text.) And saying one thing under your breath while also saying another, in a language that supposedly you barely can pronounce understandably at all? That's pretty much the same weirdness level I'm reacting to. Talking around vocabulary you don't know ("How do I get to the... how you say... train... place... ticket... building?") is possible, but that (whether clearly or badly pronounced) makes the most sense written as spoken; you don't say all four words at the same time.

Still thinking there's something strange here.
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:<snip>
[heretical]Second, a possible solution if post rate is indeed accelerating. Would it make sense to give Time its own sub-forum, which would contain the OTT along with other, smaller, specialized threads (for instance, one for academic geekery, one for the OTC film, etc.)? This would keep ketchup under control while allowing this awesome community to continue to expand.
<snip>[/heretical]

Spoiler:
This has actually been proposed before1, the consensus being that there is so much overlap between most of the topics, and most people would be interested in most of the topics anyway, that it would really not be worth it. Plus, part of the appeal is the extensive juxtaposition of various topics throughout the thread.

1Pretty much everything makes the rounds many times in a thread this size2
2Hey look, javascript, wonder what that does...

Nothing to see here, just an old man grumping that the "notify me if there has been a new post since I hit [reply]" function is not always enough
Last edited by Febrion on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:That sounds like a bad (terrible) idea to me. While I'm not interested in everything here, I'm happy to skip over the stuff of less interest. On the other hand, I'm being introduced to a lot of things I didn't know or have forgotten. If we split the thread it will be hard (impossible) to get it all. Serendipity is a good thing. I think it would split the community and that would be a bad (terrible) thing.

TimeLurker wrote:I'm not sure I would enjoy this as much. I think it would divide us OTTers and lead to arguments when "off-topic" discussions start ("No no no, you can't do math here, this is the music sub-forum-thread."). Part of what makes this thread great is the mix of what you see here. Beside, then we wouldn't be OTTers anymore, but a group of MTTersMany Ture Threads.

Fair points; perhaps I will just have to learn to skip better. I'm a completionist to a fault in all things I do, so this thread poses a bit of a conundrum as I simply don't have time to read the whole thing even though I would very much like to do so. I definitely appreciate the need to preserve the community in its current state.

Edited to fix quotes, and also to clarify that I don't mean "academic geekery" in a derogatory way, as if it's wasting my time in the OTT. I have only a fragile grasp of number theory so I haven't joined the conversation, but I have certainly enjoyed reading it.
Lost forever in time...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Indeed. Dividing into multiple threads would also make it maddeningly difficult to read posts in order, and it would take a much larger time commitment on each of our parts to follow Time and the community that has sprung up around it.
If a subtopic is important/unrelated/large enough to merit a thread of its own (such as our frequently-renewed debate over pluralization), that's what the rest of the forum is for. Discuss it here if you're not derailing the thread (hard to do with this many users), but also consider starting a new thread for it so as to access the forum's membership as a whole. We don't need to remain within only this one thread.
My suggestion to keep the postrate down is to avoid posting unnecessary things, such as following the non-comic-related suggestions of whoever's post happens to be at the top of the page, or announcing when you are waking up or going to sleep. "Molpy down" and a picture of a sleeping animal, if the entirety of your post, just adds to the clutter and does not enhance the experience of reading new pages of the thread. Not that you can't let us know if you want to, but make sure it's part of a post that advances some facet of one of our many discussions. We're not a chatroom, not matter how much it feels like we are (which it very much does, at least some of the time).
Edit to add last two sentences so as to not sound overly vindictive.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Sorry, no. Since it 9's all the way out, they all disappear. You seem to have truncated the infinite decimal...
If you look really really closely, you'll see that that last nine's tail is just a little bit shorter. Tom17 was subtracting the dots from the nines above them, getting "small nines". After that, subtracting the dots from the dots yielded nothing (which is something you can't see).

The thing about infinity is that when you have an infinite number of things, you can have anything, including large nines and small nines (sometimes called ninnies). Once you have a large enough collection of ninnies, you're pretty much toast. :)

Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech?
I think so. I would say that the depiction of speech is intended to convey the Cuegan's interpretation (and thought process underlying the interpretation) of what Farrah is uttering. We are not reading the transmitted signal, but rather the recieved one.

Nice recordings all - (I couldn't get the chirps yet, but I listened to everything else). It's really hard to pick! Part of it is figuring out how old we imagine the Cuegan to be. I like the tone of lmjb1964, but the voice sounds more confident (and thus older, less innocent) than I imagine Megan to be. BlitzGirl has a more innocent sounding voice, but (at least in the sample supplied) is more contemplative and not as conversational. For me, buffygirl's voice matched my picture of Megan the best. Innocent, curious, conversational, even a little flip.

I love Valarya's yawn... the shippers will be all over that one!

For Cueball, HereBeUnmappedBits' voice has a quality to it that really captures the character. The particular clip however sounds a little too enunciated, and thus, less casual. ChronosDragon has a really nice voice too, but is a bit too confident and analytical for the way I imagine our Cueball character to be. I think I've already commented on other auditions; there are a lot of good choices.

Keep in mind that these are voice samples, not auditions. I expect that people can deliver the lines in a variety of moods; it would take a bit of direction to get the desired result. I wonder if maybe we should record various casts, and then let the viewer choose which cast to play when they run it.

Latent22 - fun Beanie test! I imagine their speech to be more rounded and fluid, almost oriental, just based on the shapes of the characters. But that might be a great way to voice Farrah's voicing of Unglish.

Pikrass wrote:Have you ever been in Amsterdam? I'd say *they* take their bicycles seriously, you see more of them than cars!
Many years ago I had a layover in Holland; never left the airport terminal. One day I shall return. I'll just have to wait for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Loading firstpost into the trebucket and... Launch!
cryptoengineer wrote:When is the OTC set?

The castle seems to be under construction. The highest level tech Cuegan has shown is a trebuchet. This suggests the medieval period. OTOH, the beanie's theodolites weren't invented until the late 16thC, and perfected (along with the surveying technique shown) in the late 18th. On the gripping had, the language Cuegan uses, and their behaviour towards each other are thoroughly modern.

Why do people apparently living in tents, in an area they are unfamiliar with, drag around a 20 foot ladder?

These things bug me.
Yeah, they bug us, too! :lol: Welcome to the OTT, stick around and help us reverse-engineer the Beanong's crypto! As to your other questions, people'll fill you in (for example, our astronomy-based answer is that we're in 13,000-something CE) but for more answers try here.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

That's what I thought up until the most recent blotch-speech. But it doesn't make sense. If the pronunciation is poor, but they can make out the word "DESERT," why are they also "hearing" SAND? If it were a game of Charades, that would make sense, but it doesn't make sense for spoken words. How could a mispronounced word sound like DESERT and SAND both?

shurikt wrote:It's from the perspective of Cueball & Megan's comprehension of the speech. When it's completely foreign, it's in a foreign alphabet. When it's something they can understand, the overlapping meanings appear all at once. Hence the overlapping "here/fortress"

Or so I have led myself to believe.

That's an interesting idea, but again, she's supposed to be saying their words. Naturally when someone says DESERT (either properly or oddly pronounced), you might also think SAND, and if someone says HERE while in a fortress you might also think THIS FORTRESS. But you don't hear (and authors don't write down for you) those related words and phrases because they're implicit in the meaning. If you can't make out the sound of DESERT then you also can't make out SAND, unless it's Charades or Pictionary or telepathy instead of speech.

Actually, I think you've hit on something here. Remember we're seeing snapshots of their actions. Perhaps she's acting out, miming, some of the words, trying to get her meaning across. Sort of a hestitant-verbal-guess plus charades?

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:eta: yes I know that's not really what deja vu is. On a side note, has anyone here not experienced deja vu? My wife never has, and every time I tell her I have deja vu she says "but this hasn't ever happened before" and I try to explain that that's the point but she doesn't get it because she hasn't experienced it...

A simple solution would be to get a second wife and see if you experience the same problem with her again.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

CommunicatONG... and failONG.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Perhaps she's an incredibly talented throat singer and can vocalize multiple words simultaneously by injecting different consonants in line with the various pitch changes of her discrete overtones. Actually, has anyone ever heard (of) a female throat singer? I feel like every throat singer I've seen is male. I would assume that's simply because it comes from cultures that are traditionally sexist, but I suppose it's also conceivable that it could be more difficult or less common for women to be capable of vocalizing in that way, what with the statistical difference in voices between men and women. Actually, I've tried throat singing in falsetto, and while it's possible to create multiple notes it doesn't sound nearly the same as a bass throat singing. Perhaps a very low alto could manage it...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:First, a question...I know I've seen graphs of posts vs. time for this thread, but I haven't seen any recently. Is the post rate actually accelerating, or does it just feel that way because I'm making an effort to read every post now?

No graphs, but from spending too much time here, the post rate is undoubtedly proportional to how exciting the OTC is being. With starry backgrounds or a new language to decipher, there is a lot more to post about on top of the regular babble of conversation. If they're just walking over a landscape we've already seen, you can end up with double ongs without a post (ETActually answer your question, probably both)

@Yappo - only if we count one of the unidentified molpies as being me

(seaish post review. It didn't take me that long to write, did it?)
Last edited by HES on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

By the way, I predict that we find out that the beanies are causing the sea to rise, and they thought it wasn't going to be a problem because "NOBODY XXPIRES THERE". Cue&Meg (potentially) are heroes of their people, celebrated in verse and song for thousands of years.

And the other language that hairy lady speaks is LaPetite's language.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:The thing about infinity is that when you have an infinite number of things, you can have anything, including large nines and small nines (sometimes called ninnies). Once you have a large enough collection of ninnies, you're pretty much toast. :)

Sorry. Not taking the bait. Consider my chain thoroughly pulled.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Blindpost from NP 1086. I've been ketching up nearly all day for the past two days, and I'll be with you soon!

ucim wrote:
Arky wrote:Oh, page pope![...]Optional decree:
Have you ever watched/are you watching the Tour de France?
I've never watched the TdF, though when I was in Paris one afternoon I did see myriads of cyclists speeding down the Seine (or rather, the quay which parallels it). I didn't have a clue what it was; turns out they do that every week, pretty much taking over the streets. Them Frenchies - they take their bicycles seriously!

Have you ever been in Amsterdam? I'd say *they* take their bicycles seriously, you see more of them than cars!

Fun fact, the first freeway constructed in Los Angeles, CA was for bicycles.

CasCat wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
mscha wrote:
Nobody ....pires there.

As I live and breathe! I believe you (and your ninja) have it.
Rule110 wrote:Possible. I'm reluctant to interpret gigantic but faded-out text that overlaps other words as a whisper, though, because a perfectly good comic convention for low or whispered speech already exists. (You just used it yourself; smaller text.) And saying one thing under your breath while also saying another, in a language that supposedly you barely can pronounce understandably at all? That's pretty much the same weirdness level I'm reacting to. Talking around vocabulary you don't know ("How do I get to the... how you say... train... place... ticket... building?") is possible, but that (whether clearly or badly pronounced) makes the most sense written as spoken; you don't say all four words at the same time.

Still thinking there's something strange here.

I think GLR thought it would be too easy for us if he did How do I get to the... how you say... train... place... ticket... building?" Don't know if we're seeing thoughts or what, but I do think it is a representation of someone struggling to pick the words they mean.

And I'm in the "keep the OTT as is" camp. We're doing fine. (I even like the molpy up and down posts, as long as they come with cute molpy pictures. They might make it seem longer, but they don't take much time.) Posting rate should be dropping now, since everyone's head has been exploded by the infinities.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Re: Weird overlaid text.
Remembering that in Beanish "water" becomes "sea" when prepended with a syllable it would be reasonable to assume that "sand" becomes "desert" in similar circumstances. What we see is not what we hear, but the meaning those foreign words convey for Farrah. For her "sand" and "desert" actually are very close, so when she says "desert" it also means [qualifier]sand to her. It's all clues for deciphering Beanish.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:My suggestion to keep the postrate down is to avoid posting unnecessary things, such as following the non-comic-related suggestions of whoever's post happens to be at the top of the page, or announcing when you are waking up or going to sleep. "Molpy down" and a picture of a sleeping animal, if the entirety of your post, just adds to the clutter and does not enhance the experience of reading new pages of the thread. Not that you can't let us know if you want to, but make sure it's part of a post that advances some facet of one of our many discussions. We're not a chatroom, not matter how much it feels like we are (which it very much does, at least some of the time).
Edit to add last two sentences so as to not sound overly vindictive.

I like the sleeping molpies. And after all, they're generally in spoilers, so you can skip them if you don't want to see them.

Just my 2¢.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

apsmith

Postby apsmith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

A few thoughts (long-time lurker here, I admit I haven't read everything!):

* The lack of any use of names (at least by Cuegan - the Beanies may have used names for one another) suggests a profound difference in culture from modern humans - maybe they are simply accustomed to very small communities where pronouns or simply proximity suffice? In my experience the first thing everybody learns in a foreign language (admittedly classroom settings) is how to address people by their names, yet that didn't happen at all in the Cuegan/Beanie encounter. Why?

* There has been no sign that Cuegan can read or write. When they saw the marks on the Baobab (which we weren't shown?) they wondered what it meant and said it didn't look familiar. The Beanie book with the map/triangulation didn't seem to have any written language, at least the part we were shown. Learning the written form of a foreign language can help a lot with distinguishing words that sound similar but have different spellings (and meanings). Has writing been lost? And yet the Beanies seem to be pretty sophisticated...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”