1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:I figured that the last word in line 3 was "difficult", which would make for a short word after "the." She put in a lot of work to learn it, and is miffed that Cuegan can't pierce her accent.

Or "difficult" is an adjective describing the blotted out word that follows.

by the way, it seems to me that the language might have a latin or at least indo-european root, with the relationship of XXpire and live. (Also note that the most recent frame has "apologize" under "sorry")

Edit: a bit retro-ninja'd, but Tongue (lingua) for language also suggests Latin... (or at least that they use tongues for speaking)
Last edited by edo on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SorrONG...
Spoiler:
I am sorry.
Your language is like those
spoken by the ...ffiou...
... but I learned it.

I think the last word of line 3 is DIFFICULT. <---- ninja'd by HES

Also sorry has 'apology' or something overlay... whereas language has 'tongue' overlay.

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:As long as there are no flame wars, shouldn't we just let it be its own machine?

You all will continue posting how you have been posting, and I will continue posting how I have been posting.

Yes, exactly. You grokked my meaning. :wink:
Last edited by Valarya on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Random speculation: the multiple words overlaid is because Hairdo is voicing multiple sounds at once, like she's possessed by demons who can all speak at the same time. Or perhaps she's a Medusa, and both she and the hairsnakes are talking?

Hmm, I think I'm a page pope. Decree: less infinity stuff, more language stuff. Unless you want otherwise.
Last edited by Ashaman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:As to how English pronounces periods, we have a slight descending-tone at the end of sentences, with a slight pause. That's the best I can do. (As opposed to a slightly shorter pause with no descending-tone for commas, and a slight rising-tone with pause for question marks.)

Hmmm. Actually THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw
is how you pronounce punctuation. If you ain't heard it before, you gotta.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

"I am salty! :mrgreen:
Spoken by the (x) Difficult
But I learned it!"

I think the Beanies are the (x) in this speech, and Hypatia is saying she learned the Beanies' difficult language (and implying she can learn Megan and Cueball's too).
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

One other point in this speech...

It's centered. there are words completely obscured in the third line.

It could be "...spoken by these officious bastiges, but I learned it."

And what's with the huge I's?

Spoiler:
the better to see you with, my dear...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

One last try on infinite but repeating decimal numbers. I no longer know if people want the answer or are just trying to be silly. Either would result in the same sort of responses. This sort of thing is taught in college/university courses, usually, but sometimes earlier. So don't feel bad if your math background makes grokking it difficult. Wikipedia, as usual, has a good exposition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_decimal. If you seriously want more, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
-- Charlie Grumbles

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
CasCat wrote:As to how English pronounces periods, we have a slight descending-tone at the end of sentences, with a slight pause. That's the best I can do. (As opposed to a slightly shorter pause with no descending-tone for commas, and a slight rising-tone with pause for question marks.)

Hmmm. Actually THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw
is how you pronounce punctuation. If you ain't heard it before, you gotta.

Oh, yes. <laughing> I'd forgotten dear old Victor Borge. (Although my favorite Borge bit is where he plays a piece of music, stops, looks confused, turns it upside down (or upside up, as the case may be) and proceeds to play it properly.

Also, the seat belt in the piano bench.

<edit because I can't spell Borge>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:One other point in this speech...

Spoiler:

As we all know if someone doesn't speak your language you speak louder. Speaking slowly and clearly is never helpful. :wink:

Also: pi is exactly 3!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
I am sorry.
... but I learned it.

I think the last word of line 3 is DIFFICULT. <---- ninja'd by HES

Also sorry has 'apology' or something overlay... whereas language has 'tongue' overlay.

I also saw "tongue", but I think it's "apologize" under "am sorry" (there's a "z" faintly visible above "is like"). The word "similar" seems to run diagonally across "is like".
The overstrike on the last letter is plainly visible in two places; this surely represents a stop.

Could she be saying, "Your language is like those spoken by these", referring to the Beanies, and separating herself from them?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

edo wrote:
moody7277 wrote:I figured that the last word in line 3 was "difficult", which would make for a short word after "the." She put in a lot of work to learn it, and is miffed that Cuegan can't pierce her accent.

Or "difficult" is an adjective describing the blotted out word that follows.

<snip>

I like this idea. Perhaps the Beanies have an enemy who speaks Cueganese...

Hairdo wrote:Your language is like those spoken by the difficult [Anglos] but I learned it.

She could be saying that nobody cares for the [Anglos], as they are "difficult" to get along with, but she took the effort to learn their language anyway.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:Random speculation: the multiple words overlaid is because Hairdo is voicing multiple sounds at once, like she's possessed by demons who can all speak at the same time. Or perhaps she's a Medusa, and both she and the hairsnakes are talking?

Hmm, I think I'm a page pope. Decree: less infinity stuff, more language stuff. Unless you want otherwise.

Ok. I think that the beanie wizard talks like most university professors. Mumble here, rephrasing there, dredging up old words after that. Most of you have been there.

More seriously, I do think it is mumbles and self corrections while dredging up half-rememberd words and grammar.

But I also think that GLR is trying to be helpful without making it too easy on his flock. I'm reminded of the Book of Revelation in the Christian Bible, for example.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:Random speculation: the multiple words overlaid is because Hairdo is voicing multiple sounds at once, like she's possessed by demons who can all speak at the same time. Or perhaps she's a Medusa, and both she and the hairsnakes are talking?

Could be that she starts a word, realizes it's not the right one, and corrects herself. I do it all the time when I'm trying to speak German, but that might just be a reflection on my German-speaking skills :oops:
semi-ninja'd by charlie, but in different context
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

slinches wrote:The River (of Time)
based on The River by Garth Brooks

⁴! Image
You didn't have to change the lyrics much too make that work...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

BigDaddy wrote:Also: pi is exactly 3!

So you're saying pi is exactly 6? Surely you're thinking of tau. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Some speculations:
- we have a definite confirmation that Beanish people have contacts with other people speaking Unglish. "Your language is like those spoken by th...". Several groups, or several languages? Are they the people in the hills or cousins of Cuegan's clan? My bet is on the latter (Megan would have recognized People in the hill's dialect). This will lead, at some point, to an expedition to meet those people, and discuss history.
- Beanish people are quite advanced from an engineering point of view. They tend to explore around their place. How come they haven't explored farther into the "sand-desert" before? Are they afraid of it? Have they just recently settled here (but then, how would they build such a big castle in a couple of years? My bet: they've lived here for 50 years or so (maybe with more roots, but with different habits), and Cuegan's clan settled at their current place a couple of years ago (they're used to seasonal patterns, yet they sleep in tents); they've been travelling eastwards for some decades now.
- I'm really impatient to learn more about Squars' history :)
- about writing (this might have been said at the map-showing period): the Beanish have modern ways to write, precise enough to draw maps on simple sheets of paper. Heardo even has a writing desk. Cuegan might also have such technology, since they're comfortable drawing abstract stuff (arrows!) in the dust, and they know a "marking" when they see one. Does all this have a common ancestor, or have Cuegan's ancestors and the Beanish both reinvented writing on their own?

For now , we'll be told that the Beanish have noticed the sea rising, that they can't do anything against it, and that they suspect the G7AM people might--oh! <insert dramatic event here> happening! I"m off to help them, we'll discuss this later!

ETA: next map update: tomorrow (I've managed to update it just before my laptop ran out of power, not to upload the new version ><' ... now I need to wait for the battery cable)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:... and I would love to know how the beanish period sign is supposed to be pronounced- and it is making me wonder how English pronounces a period compared to other cultures now. I never even considered the idea before.
You're one of the lucky ten thousand today. Behold!
(Ninja'd by charlie_grumbles... same guy, different video. I agree with our Professor - if you've never seen it, you must!)

@slinches: Nice ottification on the River!

CasCat wrote:You're all probably right. It's probably "difficult". But I hoped for triffids....
It would be difficult if Triffids came.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

I'm trying desperately to ketchup, but I'm sick and really need to coma. So, here's what I have so far (pg. 1121):

rvloon wrote:
Flotter wrote:Beanie 1: "Forgive us for this rude intrusion, o Great One"
Beanie 3: "We have captured these outsiders for you"

Nah:

Beanie-1: We think this one on the left will be the crunchiest.
Beanie-3: We are unfortunately out of ketchup.

Ronald

hahahaha

Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
Tatiana wrote:
Someone please correct me if I'm not doing my images correctly, okay? How do I upload an attachment? Oh wait, I see a tab below that says "upload attachment"! Might that be a clue? Aha! Let's try this again!

ok once you have done the place inline and put that in a spoiler you then push the preview button. Then in the preview expand the spoiler and right click the image and click copy link location. This captures the image file now stored on the forum server.

it is something like this: http: //forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=38023&mode=view

now take this link and make a new img tag in your post above the spoiler and paste in the link you copied before. Now remove the &mode=view bit to make the link show properly and you are done. Make sure you leave the spoiler and attachment bit. your output will be something like this:

So...I don't do all this, and I don't do the redundant thing. Why is that necessary? Do my images not display correctly?

on bums:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:And when they're with the beanies, "A Cleanable Bum Genie".

I am not clear on what precisely a "Bum Genie" would be, but I am glad that it can be cleaned and I hope it stays the hell away from me.

I understand 'bum' means something different in the USA|, but to me it means arse/ass/buttocks, so I'm pondering the difference between a cleanable-bum genie and a cleanable bum-genie. I guess the former would appear out of a magic bum after you've been rubbing it clean.

in the US, "bum" can also mean a tramp/hobo/homeless person. So, it would be a hobo genie. I'm glad it could be cleanable.

cellocgw wrote:Oh, dear, Imjb1964 -- you have our sympathies.

Definition of a string quartet: one good violinist, one bad violinist, one former violinist, and one who hates violinists.

But we'd sound great in that hall, eh?

Yeah, yeah, ha ha ha. Make fun of the violist.

I'd heard many of those, sometimes referring to other instruments, but there were some new ones, like this:
Spoiler:
What's the most popular recording of the William Walton viola concerto?
Music Minus One.

Congratulations, HES!

42isall wrote:Okay, I've been mostly lurking since about newpix ten, and I have to say, I find it spectacular how far this has come. I've followed the OTT, reading it almost daily, and missing very little the whole time (When I started it was on page 3 as I recall. I've probably missed about a dozen pages, and at this point to blitz would be crazy). You folks have made the most wonderful group and it has been a real pleasure to watch. I'm super excited to learn beanglish, and hope we get some more clues as to the nature of this language.
I felt moved to write this for some reason.
Well, back to the shadows with me.
Keep on keeping on

Yay, another firstpost! Welcome!

Pikrass wrote:Blindpost from NP 1086. I've been ketching up nearly all day for the past two days, and I'll be with you soon!

Pikrass! I was just thinking about you. Good to see you!

OK, must coma. Darn, why am I sick when there's so much cool stuff happening in te OTC (and OTT)?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

patientONG
"Please be [have] patient [patience]."

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

That's a big please. And she's confused between "have patience" and "be patient".

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
BigDaddy wrote:Also: pi is exactly 3!

So you're saying pi is exactly 6? Surely you're thinking of tau. :D

I could never get excited about tau, and don't call me Shirley.

I like to think she just has the Lord of the Rings and a pocket dictionary in a few different languages and learned to speak that way.

Oh and for the Beanies soundtrack I suggest using what we think is a reasonable translation and then play the recording backwards (or individual words backwards) unless we get clues to how Beanish actually sounds.

My 3*2 cents.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
slinches wrote:The River (of Time)
based on The River by Garth Brooks

⁴! Image
You didn't have to change the lyrics much too make that work...

Thanks. Yeah, it was an easy one and something I could do quickly to help counteract the recent turn toward flamishness.

As far as the whole confuzzled words debate goes I think everyone is right,at least partially. It's a combination of all of the above. Sometimes the shadowed words are hesitantly verbalized and others it's what she's trying to say or ideas related to it. The overall impression being what Megball perceive her broken speech to be, which I'm very impressed GLR was able to get across since our perspective in the audience is so different from theirs.

And I think we should name her Rosetta. I've always thought Rosetta Stone sounded like some lady who knows/teaches many languages.

tavella

Postby tavella » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

I was wondering if the middle word could also just be "these", perhaps, meaning the Beanies. But I'm not sure if there's enough space for an E.

Hypatia speaks a third language, per the drawing back at the original meeting site, so she may have come from elsewhere speaking her diamond language, learned the triangle language of the Beanies, and also knows a circle language very similar to Cuegan's people. Or she could be a very industrious Beanie scholar. Also, that suggests the Beanies have met the Circles, since Cuegan's language sounded familiar, even if they didn't understand it. So they aren't just an extinct people from books.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

edfel wrote:- Beanish people are quite advanced from an engineering point of view. They tend to explore around their place. How come they haven't explored farther into the "sand-desert" before? Are they afraid of it?

I've been wondering if they think it's uninhabitable, like the people used to think the equatorial regions were uncrossable due to extreme heat and they'd never be able to have contact with any people living in the antipodes.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

foilman wrote:That's a big please. And she's confused between "have patience" and "be patient".

Maybe "please" is larger because it's a word she knows well, and is supposed to be easier for M&C (and thus for us readers) to understand?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:First, a question...I know I've seen graphs of posts vs. time for this thread, but I haven't seen any recently. Is the post rate actually accelerating, or does it just feel that way because I'm making an effort to read every post now?

Part of the reason that the post rate graphs slowed to a halt was that most of us were basing them on a static spreadsheet that another poster created. It didn't update automatically, so after a while they stopped being relevant, and there hasn't been another data extract provided. There used to be a clever website with forum post data though, including live graphs: I assume that's still online somewhere.

The rate slowed quite a lot during the sandcastles, and after the transition to aeon 2, but I'd imagine it's picked up again lately. There's definitely a lot of posting between frames at the moment, but that's predictable, since we're getting near-newpixly developments.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I am sorry.
... but I learned it.

Ooh! Something I just remembered: A few years back, I was learning Spanish. (I've since forgotten almost all of it.) Then, later, I met someone who spoke Portuguese. And I couldn't understand all of what they were saying, but a lot of the words were similar to Spanish ones I knew, so I could get a sense of their meaning. And I get a similar feeling whenever I try to read Dutch (which I don't know, but I do know English and some German). If I had to illustrate what that looked like, it would be somewhat like GLR's drawing.

...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

The big "I" is because that is an easy word she knows, so she emphasizes it. Like singing along a song where you get less vocal at parts you don't know very well, but loudly sing the parts you do know.

And I want to highlight the extraordinary effort of GLR. Some nice landscapes, and the stars required some research, but inventing a completely new language and introducing visualization of Beanglish is completely off the charts.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:One other point in this speech...

Spoiler:

She may be overcompensating for her language's lack of a word for "I"

(...And I see what you did there)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Are we absolutely sure that she isn't SALLY?

The 'apologize' seems to suggest not, but it's a possibility...

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

As for the BIG WORDS, it might even go as far as convey her attempt to overlay onto English some language features not present in it - specific tone of voice for an apology or request, honorific forms, etc.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Maybe she's extremely skilled at projectile vomiting and she's literally spewing the words against the wall. The beanies clean it up between frames.

(that's gross)

Or maybe she just has a giant paintbrush. Or maybe people don't actually speak in this randallverse but literally have speech bubbles appear above their heads (like those guys in the planescape campaign setting)
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

slinches wrote:And I think we should name her Rosetta. I've always thought Rosetta Stone sounded like some lady who knows/teaches many languages.

Don't be silly, that's far too logical :wink:
He/Him/His Image

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Montov wrote:The big "I" is because that is an easy word she knows, so she emphasizes it. Like singing along a song where you get less vocal at parts you don't know very well, but loudly sing the parts you do know.

And I want to highlight the extraordinary effort of GLR. Some nice landscapes, and the stars required some research, but inventing a completely new language and introducing visualization of Beanglish is completely off the charts.

But Randall is very definitely the sort of person who may have invented a language at some point in his youth... It's not necessarily a fabrication for the OTC. In fact, it's even possible that he had the language and nothing to do with it, and that triggered the idea for a comic with progression...

...although if that was the case, he was extremely restrained to hold back the Beanies for so long!
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

I like the fact that her plea for them to "be patient / have patience" fits the theme of the OTC very well. It's like she's talking directly to us...

Eternal Density

...Niclep was starting to think he hid too well.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Are we absolutely sure that she isn't SALLY?

The 'apologize' seems to suggest not, but it's a possibility...

Sally Forth?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Maybe she's extremely skilled at projectile vomiting and she's literally spewing the words against the wall. The beanies clean it up between frames.
We, um... we didn't quite understand that split pea soup with hot dog chunks.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

I think this raises an interesting question for your religion here.

Did the Creator have every step of the OTC planned out from the start, or is he allowing his characters free will and their world some randomness (i.e. making shit up as he goes along)?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

CFS

Postby CFS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

I am sorry.
... but I learned it.

Ooh! Something I just remembered: A few years back, I was learning Spanish. (I've since forgotten almost all of it.) Then, later, I met someone who spoke Portuguese. And I couldn't understand all of what they were saying, but a lot of the words were similar to Spanish ones I knew, so I could get a sense of their meaning. And I get a similar feeling whenever I try to read Dutch (which I don't know, but I do know English and some German). If I had to illustrate what that looked like, it would be somewhat like GLR's drawing.

...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?

I only speak English, and I couldn't make anything at all out of Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. The J's where just too odd.
Last edited by CFS on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Also sorry has 'apology' or something overlay... whereas language has 'tongue' overlay.

I also saw "tongue", but I think it's "apologize" under "am sorry" (there's a "z" faintly visible above "is like"). The word "similar" seems to run diagonally across "is like".
The overstrike on the last letter is plainly visible in two places; this surely represents a stop.[/quote]
The experts are probably on this, but can anything be done with the file itself? Can it be peeled back in layers or something? (I don't know, this is yet another area that makes me feel like I've wandered into the advanced class by mistake, but class started awhile ago and now I'm too shy to leave.)

foilman wrote:That's a big please. And she's confused between "have patience" and "be patient".

When my daughter was little, she would proclaim, "I am being a have." (And therefore did not need more reminders to behave.)

~~~~~ Edit to add warning. On page 1128, AluisioASG includes a spoiler under the line "And now, cakes again!" Don't click it, it's a trap! Keep reading, and you'll find a version that's made safe for clicking shortly afterwards. ~~~~~
Last edited by SBN on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”