1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Cake for CasCat!
Spoiler:
Happy 100th!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

I think I've been staring at this too long.

To me, the "ᑲᒥ" in "ᑭᒋᑲᒥᐤ" is starting to look like the "bJ" in "42bJ". Is it just me?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:LeavONG̊
Spoiler:

211!

I think the last sentence in Beanie was "Make them comfortable for the night," or such. Just curious, but has the illumination in the stained glass window diminished any? Based on the drawing in-comic morning, it should be getting close to sundown soon.
Last edited by moody7277 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cake for CasCat!
Spoiler:
Happy 100th!

Lovely! Thank you! <om-nom-nom>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

I'm bored now... take them to the holding cells.

Jawohl.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

What I have deduced from the translated spoken beanish:
C: Hello!
M: Do you understand us?
    B: Somewhat

C: I think we understand you, too!
    B: Whence have you traveled here

C: We came here up the mountain.
M: We're from the sea.
    B: You arose here from the desert below? Nobody transpires there.

M: We, um... We didn't quite understand that.
    B: I am sorry. Your language is like those spoken by the ... difficult ...
    But I learned it. Please be patient.

M: of course.

None of this was difficult and has been remarked on before. I'm just trying to deduce what I can from what is being said. I was hoping that what is being said might provide a clue to Beanish sentence structure and grammar, thus helping deduce prior Beanish comments with Cuegan. We know now that there is another race/tribe that speaks a language similar to Cuganese/English, and it's probably not the Hill People who Cugan have met before.

edit: blindposted, so pardon any duplication of ideas
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

They might not all be leaving. It looks like the Beanies are leaving (without nudging or gesturing to get Cuegan to do the same) and so far Cuegan have just turned to watch them go.

Well, maybe that one is gesturing for them to follow. It's hard to tell for sure.
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:

211!

I think the last sentence in Beanie was "Make them comfortable for the night," or such. Just curious, but has the illumination in the stained glass window diminished any? Based on the drawing in-comic morning, it should be getting close to sundown soon.

Did you just... put a spoiler inside URL tag? :shock: It's a trap! If I click it, it brings me to the mscha's viewer so I can't see what's in the spoiler for longer than a few milinewpix!
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:

211!

Did you just... put a spoiler inside URL tag? :shock: It's a trap! If I click it, it brings me to the mscha's viewer so I can't see what's in the spoiler for longer than a few milinewpix!

Okay, fixed it. I had no idea that would happen. Wasn't too bad, it was just the same frame in mscha's viewer and the back button worked.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:

211!

Yes, a scary trap. I click to open the spoiler and get an immediate redirect to my company's web filter warning page!!

!The site is blocked due to being "uncategorized", so it isn't detecting malware or anything else untoward.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

HES wrote:@Yappo - only if we count one of the unidentified molpies as being me

Sorry, what was that replying to?
rvloon wrote:Ok, here's my contribution for whatever you want me to read out loud.

rvloon-sample.mp3

I really like your voice! Not for Cueball I don't think, too deep and too much of an accent, but I could definitely see you doing a Beanie perhaps! If we ever get Beanish figured out...
NoMouse wrote:
Montov wrote:The big "I" is because that is an easy word she knows, so she emphasizes it. Like singing along a song where you get less vocal at parts you don't know very well, but loudly sing the parts you do know.
Yeah... mmm, mm mm mmmmmm HALELUJAH! HALELUJAH! mmm mm mm mmmmmmm....

HAH YES I love that sketch.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Finally ketchupped. I hope I never get that far behind again.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

edo wrote:I think I've been staring at this too long.

To me, the "ᑲᒥ" in "ᑭᒋᑲᒥᐤ" is starting to look like the "bJ" in "42bJ". Is it just me?

If this language is Cree based, my best guess for water would be "Zᓭᑲᓄ" pronounced "spesikano" (perhaps "msikano" if it is Sayisi/Carrier based) and sea would be "ᕒZᓭᑲᓄ" pronounced "rspisikano/rmsikano." they both seem long for such common words, but perhaps some of these vowels I show aren't voiced (similar to Japanese). For this, the Cree root "ᑲᒥ", "kami" would have migrated to "kano" (that kind of thing does happen)

A lot of the other letters are Sayisi specific, so I'm starting to lean that way.

Edit: FYI diatrics in Cree extend vowels (a > aa) or add a w (ka > kwa). It could explain why we see so few of them.
Last edited by edo on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

This:
yappobiscuits wrote:Wait... could it be...?
Spoiler:
Have I finally appeared in the OTC?!

Probably should have quoted rather than @ing
He/Him/His Image

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Hi folks, I just registered but I've been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to create an account because...

Does anyone else think Translatrix's (my name for Long Hair Person) arm position in frame 2875 looks like she's pantomiming eating? Perhaps she's telling the Beanies to take Megball to get some food.

Tangent: How do you put images in your posts? It keeps telling me my post is spam. :(

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

byeONG
"M32." (We've seen this before. potentally formal greeting from AW2844. would have to be a ciao/mahalo type thing)
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Is Rosetta going with them? Maybe they're going into a library or to someone who speaks better Unglish?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Did you just... put a spoiler inside URL tag? :shock: It's a trap! If I click it, it brings me to the mscha's viewer so I can't see what's in the spoiler for longer than a few milinewpix!

I was actually glad for that, because I had just been trying to figure out how to get to mscha's viewer a few minutes before.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Blindpost from NP 1122, and I think I can be drunk at this time, but just to point out:

Zorin_75 wrote:Image
Whoa. I think there's a "sand dunes" vertically on the right. Anybody have a guess what's in the first layer at the top? "To... fortress"?

ETA: or "sand" and "lives"...? She speaks really kind of blotchy. :shock:
Spoiler:
arose.png

I was mentioned it at page 1121, but I did not do a picmanip for others to see, so it's OK :D

BytEfLUSh wrote:By the way, behind the first line, there's a text that goes something like "to this fortress".

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am UTC

ggh wrote:You both are doing such an awesome job on the wiki, but it's such a huge undertaking - there are so many subjects that haven't been started at all (art, poetry, etc) - maybe you could divide the things you work on so there's less conflict and more ground covered?

Some poetry is covered on the wiki but the list is by no means complete: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Literature, and some specific art is covered in articles like http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Tarot_Cards and http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Molpy, but there isn't a place for all art together. The problem is, the thread is big and it takes a considerable amount of effort reading every post looking for stuff to put on the wiki. There isn't usually conflict- it happened this time because I thought kenmelken was away and made a major change without saying so first, which he objected to. There's much more that can still be added to wiki however, like putting all art on one page.
It would be nice if more people would contribute to the wiki. It's easy to edit.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 am UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

This:
yappobiscuits wrote:Wait... could it be...?
Spoiler:
Have I finally appeared in the OTC?!

Probably should have quoted rather than @ing

Ah! Yes, I'm sure one of those little pixel-movements was a hamstermolp :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:spoken by the ...ffiou...

"Difficult"?

Also, notice the vertical "tongue" from "I" to bottom.
And "Appologize" vertical to "sorry".
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:36 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:There used to be a clever website with forum post data though, including live graphs: I assume that's still online somewhere.

The rate slowed quite a lot during the sandcastles, and after the transition to aeon 2, but I'd imagine it's picked up again lately. There's definitely a lot of posting between frames at the moment, but that's predictable, since we're getting near-newpixly developments.

There is this which I stumbled upon while trying to find out what other fora were saying about us. Disadvantage is it doesn't show Time separately, but since Time is such a big part of the overall traffic (I chose the year and individual comic thread view: note the jump in traffic starting when the OTC was published) you can get an idea.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:20 am UTC

---BlindPost from NP 1121----
Ebonite wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Ketchup:
As for the voice-over - has anyone a list of all submitted voice samples? I'm starting to forgetting them and I'm too lazy to search for them in the OTT. :D

This is what I could find:

Once I caught up, I was going to recommend that we post all of the voice samples to the wiki so we could listen to them side-by side before voting on them.

I also suggest that perhaps we post them without the names of the people visible right next to the links, so that voting can be done kind of anonymously.

Although I'd love to submit a voice sample myself, I don't think I'd make a good Cueball. (Or Megan, for that matter.) :D My voice is too gravelly. Maybe if the characters meet an older Beanie...

I see that other people are coming up with the same idea/needA to have all the auditions in one place. I like the idea of blocking out the names too.
I think what would be also helpful, would be if a "standard" script could be made, one with several lines of dialog, from various times and with various in-comic emotions.
I guess what that means is everyone would need to do a new tape. But then there would be better comparisons between everybody. Also, when doing a new tape you might want to take another look at jovialbard's post.
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
Now that I've caught up on the vocal recordings... Advice to voice actors: Some of you sound like you have stage, or at least substantial public speaking, experience. You have great diction, pronounce words clearly, and keep an even meter. Unfortunately that's a bad thing for voice acting, I'm speaking from experience. I tried moving from stage acting to film. Voice and film acting have to be more authentic than stage acting because they are more immediate and because, generally, the stage is campier. With recorded mediums it's as much about what you don't think about than it is about what you do. Don't think about pronunciation or the consonants at the end of your words, don't think about how your speech flows. The only thing you should be thinking about is what the character you are portraying is thinking about. We expect stage acting to sound rehearsed so some extent, but with voice acting it's even more important for you to think about every word before you say it as if you didn't know it was coming. The other interesting thing is this: with stage acting or public speaking you start with a person, and if you are good you fill it in well with who you are as a person. Film and voice acting are the opposite, you must start with yourself, you talk and act just as you would act in that situation, and then if you are good you can layer on affect and characteristics that aren't purely from you.

Now, with all my advice to everyone else it's pretty much assured that I'll make a fool of myself when I throw my own hat into the ring :D

Note: I guess I should add that I'm talking mainly about character acting, which is what this seems to be. If we're talking about an MC or a sales pitch on a radio commercial it's going to be much closer to public speaking tone and quality.

AOkay, so if I had an idea on NP 1116 and immediately posted it (on NP 1126), does that mean I had the idea before or after the same idea was posted on NP 1120, which I didn't read until several hoursH after it was originally posted? (Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls.)
I am not going after the job of director. I don't have the director touch. I don't even have the computer skills to translate the various media types into one "standard" format.
---returning to NP 1121--
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

But he decided to wait a little longer.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:24 am UTC

patzer wrote:... The problem is, the thread is seaish and it takes a considerable amount of effort reading every post looking for stuff to put on the wiki...
Fixed that for you :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
mojacardave wrote:There used to be a clever website with forum post data though, including live graphs: I assume that's still online somewhere.

The rate slowed quite a lot during the sandcastles, and after the transition to aeon 2, but I'd imagine it's picked up again lately. There's definitely a lot of posting between frames at the moment, but that's predictable, since we're getting near-newpixly developments.

There is this which I stumbled upon while trying to find out what other fora were saying about us. Disadvantage is it doesn't show Time separately, but since Time is such a big part of the overall traffic (I chose the year and individual comic thread view: note the jump in traffic starting when the OTC was published) you can get an idea.

Wow. The spike from the OTT dominates even when it's set to show activity for the whole forum going back to 2010.

tallmanjones

Postby tallmanjones » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 am UTC

RudeDude wrote:patientONG
"Please be [have] patient [patience]."

Perhaps I've already been ninja'd on this (I've still got some ketchup left to do) but has anyone else spoken much about the "HAVE" faded, and somewhat below the "BE."
It reminds me of how this phrase would be said in Spanish:

"Ten paciencia," which means literally: "Have patience," as an imperative.

Obviously the characters aren't anything close to Spanish, and this doesn't reflect too much on the grammar, but maybe there is a connection with word choice and/or syntax for Beanish and Spanish or some other Latin-based languages.

In any case, the word "have" is pretty clear on this ONG (despite being faded) and doesn't seem to fit in well with the rest of what is being said, so Randall must think it either important or misleading (he does like to play his games with us).

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:31 am UTC

edo wrote:I think I've been staring at this too long.

What in the Nine Hells is ᑭᒋᑲᒥᐤ..?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 am UTC

tallmanjones wrote:In any case, the word "have" is pretty clear on this ONG (despite being faded) and doesn't seem to fit in well with the rest of what is being said, so Randall must think it either important or misleading (he does like to play his games with us).

There's a "patience" in the same layer as the "have", so she was first thinking of "have patience" but then went for "be patient". Both proper ways to put it...
Go Minim go!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 am UTC

taixco
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:<snip>...there are no original castles in America, but there are a few replicas built by very wealthy people.
There's at least one original: ‘Atop the most southerly hill in a chain known as the Seven Sisters, William Hooker Gillette, noted actor, director, and playwright, built this one hundred and eighty-four acre estate, the Seventh Sister. The focal point of his effort was a twenty four room mansion reminiscent of a medieval castle.
Purchased by the State of Connecticut in 1943 from the executors of Mr. Gillette's will, Gillette Castle and the adjoining property with its fine woodlands, trails, and vistas are now administered for the enjoyment of present and future generations. This apparently would have pleased Gillette, since his will gave specific directions to see that the property did not fall into the hands "of some blithering saphead who has no conception of where he is or with what surrounded." This statement also points out the value Gillette placed upon his estate and the apprehension he felt about its disposition.’ (From the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website - I have no idea what they have to do with Gillette Castle, but theirs is the best write-up; scroll down to the ‘Overview’ section.)

CameronCat, Rule110
Spoiler:
CameronCat wrote:
@ Rule110
In Asia and Africa, a panther is a lepoard.

Hmmm, but! [*takes down large poetry book and opens...*]

The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.

--Ogden Nash

*Closes book, replaces on shelf. Retakes seat in rearmost pew of the Tabernacle*
Once again: I like your style!

pelrigg
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:On top of that I've passed my 500th!? :oops:
Congratulations!
image.jpg
Here's Jimi Hendrix
image.jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
image.jpg
Having some cake!
image.jpg (12.77 KiB) Viewed 13662 times

ETA What post am I on? ...oh, gross!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 am UTC

Firstpostbump:
neopifex wrote:Hi folks, I just registered but I've been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to create an account because...

Does anyone else think Translatrix's (my name for Long Hair Person) arm position in frame 2875 looks like she's pantomiming eating? Perhaps she's telling the Beanies to take Megball to get some food.

Tangent: How do you put images in your posts? It keeps telling me my post is spam. :(

Welcome, neopifex!
You can put images in your posts after your fifth message.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:48 am UTC

BTW, has anyone set up an IRC channel to discuss the OTC or is everything going through OTT? :D

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:taixco
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:<snip>...there are no original castles in America, but there are a few replicas built by very wealthy people.
There's at least one original: ‘Atop the most southerly hill in a chain known as the Seven Sisters, William Hooker Gillette, noted actor, director, and playwright, built this one hundred and eighty-four acre estate, the Seventh Sister. The focal point of his effort was a twenty four room mansion reminiscent of a medieval castle.
Purchased by the State of Connecticut in 1943 from the executors of Mr. Gillette's will, Gillette Castle and the adjoining property with its fine woodlands, trails, and vistas are now administered for the enjoyment of present and future generations. This apparently would have pleased Gillette, since his will gave specific directions to see that the property did not fall into the hands "of some blithering saphead who has no conception of where he is or with what surrounded." This statement also points out the value Gillette placed upon his estate and the apprehension he felt about its disposition.’ (From the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website - I have no idea what they have to do with Gillette Castle, but theirs is the best write-up; scroll down to the ‘Overview’ section.)

It's not an original castle, in the sense that it was built as "I want to have a castle", rather than "We need to defend the nobility of this area against invasion, so let's build thick walls and guard towers." I don't think that Connecticut was ever a feudal system.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Firstpost bump: yay, another Linguistics OTTer!
Chinchokmataa wrote:Hello everyone! Long time lurker here making a first post onto the OTT. As someone working on a Linguistics major, I thought I might try my hand at an analysis of Beanish.

Here is my initial take:
--I suspect (but I am not 100%), that the representation here is an alphabet, as opposed to a syllabary (or abjad or what have you). I count about 44 separate characters, which is in line with an alphabet (that is about high-mid in terms of number of sounds; English as about 33 by the quick messy count I just did), but very low for a syllabary. However, we are only dealing with a small snippit of the language, so we could be missing something.
--The average symbol-to-word rate is about 3.09, which might mean that we are dealing with a language that prefers words of the general shape CVC (C=consonant, V=vowel) if we are dealing with an alphabet. Of course, a language that prefers words of the shape CVCVCV (as predicted by a syllabary) is not impossible by any means of the imagination.
--If beanish does use an alphabet, we might be able to identify the identity of some of the symbols. For example, all symbols used for single-symbol words would probably be vowels (unless it is a language that allows some consonants to be used as vowels, but those are rare).
--Some of the words seem to be related to each other by symbol additions/slight character modifications. Obviously, these guys should be looked into.
--I am certain that it has already been noted that several of the characters are different from each other by a small set of diacritics. I am not sure what exactly that means in terms of the sound system of Beanish, and it might be problematic for the alphabet interpretation. It seems like these letters should be related by the phonetic qualities, however, the question is how they are related. It might be useful to note that some of the symbols so far do not seem to use any diacritics, specifically U, N, and G, and some of the rotated variants, depending on interpretation.

That's all I have time for now. Note that this is being posted with very little ketchup, so people are welcome to tell me what has already been said on the issue. I'll keep working at it and see what I come up with.
Good to see you, glad you decided to de-lurk. :D

ETA: Promptly ninja'd by yappo! Maybe I should at least read the rest of the page before bumping from now on... :oops:
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Theory about Farrah/Hypatia/Rosetta/Hairdo:

- What we see in gray is what she thinks, the process in her mind while she considers different options in a language not her own (I do this, exactly, when trying to speak English!).
- What we see in black is what she actually says (blotched when unintelligible for Cuegan).
Last edited by Ximenez on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Alright, all ketched up. Just one recentpastpost response, from several pages ago when someone was commenting on my audition:

ZoomanSP wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:I definitely like the themes, I'd tend to want them in more of a leitmotify direction, rather than having 'main' themes as such. For Cuegan's (FTFY) theme/motif, I'd tend to have two short motifs (only 3-4 notes) each for Cueball and Megan, for when they're apart, and then the Cuegan theme is the combination of them.

MEGBALL'sCuegan's* theme: I wasn't sure whether to have individual themes for each of them or one for them both, went for the latter, but your suggestion is a good way to do both. And yes, the Beanie's theme was always going to be contrasting to previous themes.
* :P
You might also write one Cuegan theme, and it's played a third (quint, octave... a drummer writing here) higher when Megan is alone, and deeper when Cueball is alone.

And I liked all voice samples, since every single one gives a different mood to the OTC. My favourites so far are buffygirl-2 and Chronosdragon, the latter being slowed down in Audacity by 10%.

Hah, yeah. I talk pretty fast, especially when I know what I'm going to say. If anyone else agrees with you, I'll have to work on slowing down and adding emotion :P

-------------

Excited to see that Hairdo is still attempting communication! Can't wait to see what we learn. I think the most interesting thing yet is the difference in punctuation, which I think confirms that beanish punctuation is pronounced as well as written differently (otherwise, why would it show up differently to the "listeners"?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 am UTC

UnderstandONG nothing
The understand nothing
go the hill end matters.

???
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 am UTC

I read that as
They understand nothing. Also they will tend to matters.

It also seems to me the dots above the N and O in nothing may be significant.
Also, below "also" seems to be though or perhaps tho as abbreviated on the internet
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I read that as
They understand nothing. Also (Though?) they will tend to matters.

It also seems to me the dots above the N and O in nothing may be significant.

"They understand nothing so they will tend to matters."

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 am UTC

They understand nothing, though they will tend matters?!

Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”