1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Charm Quark

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 am UTC

Anyone notice that the furniture seems unusually large? The top of that desk is nearly a cue tall. The top of Hairdo's hairdo is actually a bit higher when she's sitting in her chair. Think of how high a chair would have to be to make you significantly taller when sitting in it. It would have to be barstool height or even higher. And then there's the bookcase, which is over two cues high.

Maybe this gives legs to the theory that the Beanies didn't actually build this castle?
Lost forever in time...

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Wow, Megan is keen to get a look at those books! Either that or she's running to prevent our translator friend collapsing under their weight.

Rule110 wrote:Then there's the really important difference, which puts us in the realm of completely alternative world (whether far-future or entirely arbitrary Randallverse) and not just anachronism: the physical and cultural position Hypatia is apparently occupying. (Pardon me if I prefer to base her name on her status instead of her hair.) An academic state of some sort? Time may tell.

I for one definitely appreciate your philosophy on naming. Not that her hair isn't distinctive, but it's far from the only remarkable thing about her. I'm curious though why her physical/cultural position signifies a completely alternative world?

Wildhound wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:I'm blindposting somewhat here, but I find it quite funny that Beardo appears to actually be Frizzyhair, and that I don't think anyone on here suggested the possibility that the drawing was actually a woman with a big halo of hair.

I'm pretty sure it was suggested, but I don't remember by whom. The reason I didn't suggest it myself was that someone already had IIRC.

It was me! (Forgive my excitement but it's the only prediction I've got even close to right so far.) At the ONG and then again with a picture.

Febrion wrote:Well, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the "Salad Fingers" ThingWhichCannotBeDescribed1, but Hair's speech reminds me of the secondary characters there, though more understandable. All you hear is a jumbled mass of discordand sounds, and the "subtitle" is just a bunch of black squiggles.

THANK YOU Febrion, that is exactly what I was trying to remember last night! I was trying to describe how I imagined her voice and I knew there was some animated something that it reminded me of, and I even tried googling "animated character with freaky voice" which unsurprisingly didn't help much. But of course it was Hubert Cumberdale. Phew.

slinches wrote:And I think we should name her Rosetta. I've always thought Rosetta Stone sounded like some lady who knows/teaches many languages.

I like Rosetta! Though so far she's not so much a Rosetta Stone as a Rosetta Severely Degraded Chalkboard.

wizpretz wrote:A question for the programmers among you: When/where/how did you get your start in programming?

I started in web development, following what seemed like a completely logical path from journalism to web design to backend development, completely self-taught in everything. I'd say think of a project that's fun and something you're really interested in, and then just keep following your nose.

BlueCrab wrote:OMFGLR, I LOVE tardigrades! Do you really not think that's cute?!

Haha, I guess I'm a little late jumping on the tardigrade bandwagon :D I agree they look sort of squishy and funny, but generally for me "cute" involves big eyes and facial expressions, so the complete absence of a recognisable face is a bit of a hurdle there. Very pleased to learn they have so many fans though.

Charm Quark wrote:Anyone notice that the furniture seems unusually large? The top of that desk is nearly a cue tall. The top of Hairdo's hairdo is actually a bit higher when she's sitting in her chair. Think of how high a chair would have to be to make you significantly taller when sitting in it. It would have to be barstool height or even higher. And then there's the bookcase, which is over two cues high.

Maybe this gives legs to the theory that the Beanies didn't actually build this castle?

Yes, I think there are several clues in this direction. Maybe Cuegan are descended from the castle builders, and so their language is similar? The Beanies have come along more recently and Rosetta has learned the language from these books?

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Anyone notice that the furniture seems unusually large? The top of that desk is nearly a cue tall. The top of Hairdo's hairdo is actually a bit higher when she's sitting in her chair. Think of how high a chair would have to be to make you significantly taller when sitting in it. It would have to be barstool height or even higher. And then there's the bookcase, which is over two cues high.

time 2888.PNG

It is a very high chair and desk, not to mention a huge ceiling in what seems to be an oddly-proportioned room. Feels like a courtroom...
The biggest thing I get from this is that the room looks completely bland; there is no decoration or anything indicating some kind of culture to the room, which in my mind lends itself to the idea that the Beanies either a) were a once-great civilization who fell on hard times or b) moved in to someone elses castle.
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Perhaps she's an incredibly talented throat singer and can vocalize multiple words simultaneously by injecting different consonants in line with the various pitch changes of her discrete overtones. Actually, has anyone ever heard (of) a female throat singer? I feel like every throat singer I've seen is male. I would assume that's simply because it comes from cultures that are traditionally sexist, but I suppose it's also conceivable that it could be more difficult or less common for women to be capable of vocalizing in that way, what with the statistical difference in voices between men and women. Actually, I've tried throat singing in falsetto, and while it's possible to create multiple notes it doesn't sound nearly the same as a bass throat singing. Perhaps a very low alto could manage it...

Interesting. I know some guys who can throat sing, but no women. I've tried it with no success.

The singer of Arch Enemy is quite good. I believe she once gave grunting lessons on the Rock academy of Tilburg, but I can't find records of this now. Maybe my GoogleFu is weak today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About language: I start to get the feeling that the diacritics are more that just punctuation marks. I think they are full fledged intonations. We only write intonations at the end of our sentences, but they may write intonations on all the words.
(yes I know that it has probably already remarked. For me it was a revelation though)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:

time 2888.PNG

It is a very high chair and desk, not to mention a huge ceiling in what seems to be an oddly-proportioned room. Feels like a courtroom...
The biggest thing I get from this is that the room looks completely bland; there is no decoration or anything indicating some kind of culture to the room, which in my mind lends itself to the idea that the Beanies either a) were a once-great civilization who fell on hard times or b) moved in to someone elses castle.

To me it seems that the so called desk is actually an Organ of some sort, and the whole room looks like a cathedral.
[Edit] removed redundant words, added redundant edit line.[/Edit]
It's about time.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am UTC

OVERSWONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

rvloon

Re: Sample

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 am UTC

rvloon wrote:Ok, here's my contribution for whatever you want me to read out loud.

rvloon-sample.mp3

As for the band, I am a base/baritone. I was going with the dialogue page from the Wiki, but I mixed up some of the Megan/Cueball lines. Anyway, it gives an indication. I could do it in silly voices too :-)

BTW, when I see the long haired individual (possibly gorgeous female) her speech seems also like those Tibetan dualtones. For some reason I also voice the beanies in my head like the embassy bureaucrats with clipped speech (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVpUER5Vbk) from Chess the musical.

Ronald

At least now I can tell my girlfriend that people all over the world at least sometimes listen to what I have to say.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

higgs-boson

Re: Sample

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:26 am UTC

rvloon wrote:At least now I can tell my girlfriend that people all over the world at least sometimes listen to what I have to say.
Ronald

Don't overdo... ;-) You know where this may lead to:

Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

J L

Postby J L » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:45 am UTC

superluminal wrote:I finally had to delurk to say this:

What if Cuegan are just tourists and they don't know the local language? After all, many tourists like beaches and sandcastles... They might have been on the same beach before, but never wandered this far from their hotel.

(I liked this hypothesis more before Hairdo started talking...)

My first thought when she started was "Oh my God! She's talking Zalgo!" For clearly, she must be some insane priestess residing in her castle on the top of the world to communicate with the Old Ones.

Well. Probably not. But as for tourists, I just caught up with the latest 1000 or so frames on geekwagon, and it struck me how "alien" Megan and Cueball respond to the most usual things (like birds feeding their children). Their whole quest of wanting to "understand the sea" is rather ... esoteric (if not psychedelic). Probably I'm not the first to notice this, but my favorite end-of-comic theory right now would be anything involving amnesia, LSD, interstellar tourism or androids.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:51 am UTC

trolleypup wrote:I think this is unnecessarily harsh. Figuring out the mechanics of a written language is not wasted time, as we will never hear it spoken at least we will be able to write it, and having that access to the characters will help understand the word constructions and modifiers. Let those who want to play with the mechanics do so, and others can focus on figuring out meaning to character constructions.

i'm not saying it's wasted time, after all, without the letters we don't have the words. I was simply pointing out that having the alphabet in itself doesn't really further our understanding the conversations. We have to look at the words and their usage in context to do that.
trolleypup wrote:It is possible that a spoken form of Beanish could be created by assigning (heretic) English letters to the vowels and consonants. This idea is not original to me, it comes from an H. Beam Piper story.

Sure, you could assign specific sounds to each of the letters and then speak the words, but you still couldn't communicate with the natives because their sounds would be different from yours.

I think that the best we can hope to accomplish (given what we know now) is to achieve an understanding of their written language (or at least the pictorial representation of their speech). That is unless Cuegan gives us some clues, e.g., if they give an English pronunciation of the Beanish word for water. Then we can correlate sounds to at least some of the characters.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Arky

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:51 am UTC

For some reason the current frame reminds me of the scene in Chrono Trigger where they stumble on the working computer in the ruined world of 2300AD and get told about the apocalypse that already happened.

Although it's probably just a dictionary and not an "after the fall" kind of history book.

EWP: Tourists wouldn't seem to work, but my early theory (still conceivable) is they are the children of a group of castaways who have kept to themselves and out of the way of the local African tribes out of fear and ignorance and who haven't educated their kids very well about the natural world.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 am UTC

books, where do you get books from, to me this looks like she is handing out sitting implements
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 am UTC

J L wrote:
superluminal wrote:I finally had to delurk to say this:

What if Cuegan are just tourists and they don't know the local language? After all, many tourists like beaches and sandcastles... They might have been on the same beach before, but never wandered this far from their hotel.

(I liked this hypothesis more before Hairdo started talking...)

My first thought when she started was "Oh my God! She's talking Zalgo!" For clearly, she must be some insane priestess residing in her castle on the top of the world to communicate with the Old Ones.

Well. Probably not. But as for tourists, I just caught up with the latest 1000 or so frames on geekwagon, and it struck me how "alien" Megan and Cueball respond to the most usual things (like birds feeding their children). Their whole quest of wanting to "understand the sea" is rather ... esoteric (if not psychedelic). Probably I'm not the first to notice this, but my favorite end-of-comic theory right now would be anything involving amnesia, LSD, interstellar tourism or androids.

I'm not sure. Without the limitations of the daily routine, without the urge to be $finished with $task, ... you'll experience unusual liberty in the choice of your goals. So why not get an answer for the question?

Look. Several fist full of people are analysing, speculating, discussing about a webcomic. And I bet they'd even have to postpone other matters (of which other people would think in higher priorities, such as work, or reproduction).

susanoodin wrote:books, where do you get books from, to me this looks like she is handing out sitting implements

Boxes full of scrolls.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:00 am UTC

SEATONG, NOT READONG

susanoodin wrote:books, where do you get books from, to me this looks like she is handing out sitting implements

This was a 'last call'. And it was correct. :)

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:SEATONG, NOT READONG
Spoiler:

This was a 'last call'. And it was correct. :)

Randammit, I stayed up another hour for sitting implements? And those vague black shapes would have made for some seaish books too.

Molpy down.

Spoiler:
Lost forever in time...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
trolleypup wrote:I think this is unnecessarily harsh. Figuring out the mechanics of a written language is not wasted time, as we will never hear it spoken at least we will be able to write it, and having that access to the characters will help understand the word constructions and modifiers. Let those who want to play with the mechanics do so, and others can focus on figuring out meaning to character constructions.

i'm not saying it's wasted time, after all, without the letters we don't have the words. I was simply pointing out that having the alphabet in itself doesn't really further our understanding the conversations. We have to look at the words and their usage in context to do that.

Is there truly such a thing as wasted time when you are having fun?
If there is, this whole topic would count as wasted time. A lot of it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:OMFGLR, I LOVE tardigrades! Do you really not think that's cute?!

Haha, I guess I'm a little late jumping on the tardigrade bandwagon :D I agree they look sort of squishy and funny, but generally for me "cute" involves big eyes and facial expressions, so the complete absence of a recognisable face is a bit of a hurdle there. Very pleased to learn they have so many fans though.

Yes, I think there are several clues in this direction. Maybe Cuegan are descended from the castle builders, and so their language is similar? The Beanies have come along more recently and Rosetta has learned the language from these books?

I missed that Blue Crab is also a fan of tardigrades. I mean, how cute is thisI:
Spoiler:
waterbear.jpeg
waterbear.jpeg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 11709 times

You can imagine a little face, and eyes. (This image is from an article entitled "The Remarkable, Adorable & Invincible Water Bear," so it's not just us.) :) Although apparently water bears can be dangerous.

There was all that scaffolding around the castle. If they're just building it, maybe that explains why it's so empty. But the scale does seem to be off. Maybe they found the castle is disrepair and are using it while they rebuild it.

OK, time to molpy down:
Spoiler:
Water-Bear_2958-l.jpeg

(Yes, they sell stuffed water bears!)

IDoes the image show OK? Do I need to do the redundant spoiler thing?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Maybe this gives legs to the theory that the Beanies didn't actually build this castle?

xpatiate wrote:Yes, I think there are several clues in this direction. Maybe Cuegan are descended from the castle builders, and so their language is similar? The Beanies have come along more recently and Rosetta has learned the language from these books?

lmjb1964 wrote:There was all that scaffolding around the castle. If they're just building it, maybe that explains why it's so empty. But the scale does seem to be off. Maybe they found the castle is disrepair and are using it while they rebuild it.

I keep wondering what sort of dangerous, warmongering, violent society the Beanish live in that they consider a castle massive fortification at the top of a mountain to be a necessity. Forts atop mountains are a really, really expensive in energy terms; everything has to be carried up to them, from the building materials to water for drinking.

Perhaps there's another explanation. Perhaps the castle is - like most European castles today - a relic from their past. Part of it was damaged in some war centuries ago, and they've walled it in with one of those tensegrity-and-glass constructions to make the castle useful again as an administrative and archive centre. Or a museum of some sort. Which would help to explain why Brigitte Beardo is able to speak some Unglish - assuming she's some sort of historian or archaeologist.

I quite like well-done juxtaposition of modern materials with natural...

One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:43 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:... Which would help to explain why Brigitte Beardo is able to speak some Unglish - assuming she's some sort of historian or archaeologist.

Hypat(h)ia/Rosetta/(Brigitte) Beardo ... now that's something to choose from (@Blitzgirl: I would NEVER dream of Cueball :mrgreen: )

Your thoughts about excavations or other archaeological investigations would be supported by the presence of surveyors, which our three initial beanies very well may be.

Tatiana

Blindposting from way in the past.

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:I cry a little inside every time I see a redundant spoiler without a redundant kitty. No, no, it's not your fault, I'm a cute addict. (or weird addict in some cases, but i'll accept that too)

My skills are very rudimentary. I'm working on adding redundakitties to my posts, but I just learned how to properly do attachments last night.

I have to say that I very much enjoy the redundakitties, as well as the molpy upping and downing. It's very quick and easy to skip over them, if anyone wants to do that. What I find tedious is people trying to boss other people around. Except when it's me bossing people who boss people around around. Then it's fine. :P

I'd also be very much opposed to breaking up the OTT into its own forum with different threads. My experience with fora is that threads have lives of their own, and any messing around with them, over-moderating, splitting, and other bullying actions just tend to kill them altogether. We have this beautiful thing, this delicate flower, the OTT, and the community that lives in it. Why try to rearrange it or manhandle it in any way? It's great! Leave it as it is!

By the way:
Spoiler:
Molpy up!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
molpyup2.jpg
Last edited by Tatiana on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 am UTC

CAPTCHA ALONG

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Could it be "Tell me where your home is"?

he/him/his

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am UTC

"Tell me where your home is." That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:Tell me where your home is. That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

I'm not sure if it is a command on anything more than pure structual level.

Learning a language by ancient book and scrolls would hardly lead to proper savoir faire.
Imagine learning English by studying Jane Austen. Or Shakespeare.

Cultural misunderstandings led to drawn swords all the time in history and fiction.
(Remember "You have nice breasts."?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:"Tell me where your home is." That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

And notice how the vertical writing has "house" faintly over the word "home." So, she first thought of, or started speaking, the word "house," but then decided "home" was more appropriate.

OK, I really am going to coma now.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Totally agree, higgs-boson.

Can someone remind me how they got two bags back again? I thought they had to abandon Cueball's bag after the meowlpie attack and he carried everything thenceforth in her bag. Did the beanies give Megan another one?

Okay, I went back and found that when they left the house beside the Beanies' tower, both Megan and Cueball had bags with them. When they arrived there, they had only one bag which Cueball was carrying. So the beanies must have given them another bag, and probably filled it with food, too. There's no clue if they still are carrying their one remaining dilgunnerang or if the Beanies gave them cups and canteens to put in their bags.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Tatiana wrote:"Tell me where your home is." That one is pretty clear. I wonder if the blotchiness of the Oracle Hypatia's speech will continue to get easier and easier to decipher as they pick up more on her accent and as she learns their language better? Notice this sentence is a command and it ends with a beanon full stop line over the last letter. Does she have particular trouble with Rs?

And notice how the vertical writing has "house" faintly over the word "home." So, she first thought of, or started speaking, the word "house," but then decided "home" was more appropriate.

OK, I really am going to coma now.

Or Hairdo could be telepathic, with poor control over her powers. Maybe she can project a meaning into the brain of the one she's talking to. The brain finds the words to suite the meaning. Since there is a language barrier the words she uses have different words in Unglish, which results in multiple translations in the heads of Quegan.

Of course that means Hairdo will accidentally use to much force with her power, popping Quegan's heads like ripe pimples. Thus ends Time.

Tatiana wrote:Totally agree, higgs-boson.

Can someone remind me how they got two bags back again? I thought they had to abandon Cueball's bag after the meowlpie attack and he carried everything thenceforth in her bag. Did the beanies give Megan another one?

Okay, I went back and found that when they left the house beside the Beanies' tower, both Megan and Cueball had bags with them. When they arrived there, they had only one back which Cueball was carrying. So the beanies must have given them another bag, and probably filled it with food, too. There's no clue if they still are carrying their one remaining dilgunnerang or if the Beanies gave them cups and canteens to put in their bags.

Both had a bag after they left the survey site. In G2751 both of them had a bag. In G2744 neither of them had a bag. That was just before they left. I assume they got a spare bag from the Beanies.

he/him/his

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
SinusPi wrote:Time for some VERY late night analysis!

I wrote out all known roots and "vowels".

Apparently we have 4 to 5 vowels - a convex arc [Xʾ], a concave arc [Xʿ], arc below [X̯ ] and a dot above [Ẋ].
Also, 22 roots so far.

This COULD, barely, map to a regular alphabet, with its 5 vowels and 21 consonants.

Your analysis is interesting and represents a lot of time and effort, but what is the end result to be? In the end, you'll have the Beanish alphabet but no clue to the words' meanings in which the letters are found, and no clue to how they're pronounced. It's like reading a Russian text and listing out the Cyrilic alphabet. You'd still not know what each word means.

Transliteration is merely a basis for easier discussion among the members of this forum. Instead of pasting images or referring to "second line on frame G2727", we can now simply say that 42bJ is water, 342bJ is sea, X,c is yes/good, and probably 37cNA is castle. Removing this hurdle is an important step towards further collaboration and speculation.

Analyzing which parts are root and which merely accompany them can play a role in finding out variants of words: note that some Beanies greet each other as "X, A'Lb," (the comma is a vowel here) and some just as "X, A'Lb".

We may "hear" Beanish spoken, by the way - if they ever end up comparing a word to its Unglish counterpart, like, "That sounds like qui-sha-yon. Neat!".

xan33

Postby xan33 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 am UTC

Not sure if this has been said/how insane it is... but the word in 2863 and 2864 when they come in to meet the woman, is the same that is used in 2882 where they are leaving. So I guess it's equivalent to the word salut in French, where it means hello and goodbye and apparently Madagascar is a former French colony and French is widely spoken there by the looks of it.

In 2708 when he's learning to say drink/water they repeats the word back to him with a second line above the 's' like character at the end of the word which could suggest that he was stressing a vowel sound by elongating it, to get him to pronounce it correctly? And it could either mean drink or water, which in french is boire or eau. If vowels are the lines added above characters and it is a substitution code then it makes sense that it'd be boire as it's closer in length.

On this assumption I went back a bit and tried to find some letters I could replace in some short words to find some simple French words. I found in panel 2668 they use a word the starts with both the start of 'salut' and boire', but I doubt he said bs. However if the words are also backwards... then it would be 'te' which can mean 'you' and would be a reasonable way for him to start the sentence. Plausible? Already mentioned?

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 am UTC

RivONG

There are other rivers!
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:08 am UTC

I also wonder if anyone else saw the Oracle Hypatia's speech in Aubron's 2881 frame as "I am sorry (I to apologize). Your language is like those spoken by the (?). Difficult (and cryptic?) BUT I learned it." Sorry if redundant, but I didn't see anyone else suggest the word difficult there.

Oh and the latest frame seems to be "What river?" Making the (degree sign) = (question mark) quite certain at this point.
Last edited by Tatiana on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Or she doesn't know what rivers are.
This does mean the ° diacritic is definitely a question mark.
Spoiler:
ooh, a ninjedit by Tatiana
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 am UTC

My thought is she wants to know which river is their river.

Alas, with this I must
Spoiler:
molpydown2.jpg
molpydown2.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
Last edited by Tatiana on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Or she doesn't know what rivers are.
This does mean the ° diacritic is definitely a question mark.

A river which is always carrying water but only once a year...?
Glaciers, rainy season, ... here we come again.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 am UTC

OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

Results:
Spoiler:
==========
C1: 4 ZoomanSP,Fictioneer,lmjb1964,ucim
C2:
C3:
C4:
C5: 10 Eliram,NoMouse,yappobiscuits,ZoomanSP,edfel,Fictioneer,wizpretz,edo,ucim,Ebonite
C6: 9 NoMouse,adnapemit,HereBeUnmappedBits,ZBerg,Zorin_75,Moose Anus,lmjb1964,ucim,Charm Quark
C7:
C8:

M1: 1 ZBerg
M2: 9 Eliram,HereBeUnmappedBits,ZoomanSP,edfel,Moose Anus,Fictioneer,wizpretz,lmjb1964,Ebonite
M3: 10 Eliram,NoMouse,adnapemit,yappobiscuits,Zorin_75,Fictioneer,edo,lmjb1964,vvn,Charm Quark
M4:

cueball.mp3
(914.39 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

Megan.mp3
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 212 times

Missed one voice audition so here is C8 which you can vote for as well:
C8.mp3
(257.96 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

If I've missed your voice or want to add your audition as well let me know!
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 pm UTC, edited 12 times in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am UTC

Ketchup. More coming.

{1128}
IceIsNice wrote:I like that theory. Farrah is not a Beanie, she's from yet another culture. She showed up, and for some reason, the Beanies have adopted her as their queen, or wizard, or overlord (quizord?). I get the sense that she's a powerful person (the emphasis on I not simply because it's an easy word, but because she thinks of herself (and the Beanies treat her) as a powerful person).

I'll buy wise, but not powerful. Powerful people don't sit behind desks. She is probably the Librarian.

Ridcully is powerful, the Librarian is wise.

{1129}
buffygirl wrote:Hal, I completely disagree re: the molpy-ups and downs. I LOVE the images, and think it's adorable & fabulous that a bunch of nerdy scientist folk can still have a thing for cute cuddly things. I always click on the image spoiler, and always smile! Thus, I counter in the same declarative manner, these posts DO enhance the experience of reading new pages!

For my part I'm not a big fan of molpy up/down. But I'm happy that you are. Everyone here likes/loves some aspects and dislikes others. Let it be. It is as it is. The down arrow is just a touch away.

jjjdavidson wrote:
wizpretz wrote:[off-topic]
A question for the programmers among you: When/where/how did you get your start in programming? I am looking into learning programming and I'd like to hear your advice. I've read some of the thread on this topic here in the xkcd fora but I'm still not quite sure what to learn or how to learn it and I'd probably give more weight to what you guys say (even if I didn't mean to). You can point me to tutorials, other forums, or just give general advice if you'd like. Thanks in advance.
[/off-topic]

In 1978, when I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a Texas Instruments TI-58 programmable calculator. I spent the whole summer playing with it, and when I went off to college I was foolish enough to change my major from math to comp sci. I later came to my senses and changed it back, but I'd already learned enough programming that it seemed easiest to get a programming job after I graduated. Big mistake. High competition, low job satisfaction ─ everything you write is obsolete before you finish it. (But I really didn't have the chops to be a mathematician; I could only have become a math teacher.)

Let me disagree just a bit. You don't need to think of programming (or computer science) as a career. Programming is a useful skill in any field. Math, the sciences, humanities, ... Big data needs dealing with. Literature is analyzed using programs. If you can't write your own, you are at the mercy of those who can, both professionally and as a citizen. Learn to program, but find something satisfying as a career.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Floating River ONG

Looks like the river was the IKEA where all the building stuff came from.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:18 am UTC

{1129}
BlueCrab wrote: Drat. Yes, I see, when we talk about an infinite universe we mean the ‘given enough chances’ definition, not the limited (uni-directional?) one that taixzo* used.
Here's the problem I have with the concept of an infinite universe, and my thought is that the problem is purely a semantic/logical one: some people argue that if the universe is truly infinite (if any thing that can happen will happen) then impossible things must happen. These impossible things include the universe not being infinite which, they claim, means the universe can not be infinite to begin with. To me, the argument makes no sense: impossibilities are denied by the very definition ‘anything that can happen’, and the phrase ‘impossible things must happen’ is semantically null, because by definition impossible things cannot happen.
Are my conclusions correct, at least for the conditions as stated? I did see where you qualified with ‘one version of’, and I know that there are many mathematical concepts which are difficult to explain non-mathematically; if a straight ‘yes’ or ‘no’ will answer my question, feel free to leave it at that. :D

A bit confused here, but impossible things are not among those that can happen. If things can happen with some (more or less fixed) probability, then they will, given enough chances.

But the universe is a different matter. We have scant evidence of an infinite universe. But if it has infinite space it may or may not have infinite time. Again scant evidence. But there is another consideration. If entropy really rules, then after some amount of time nothing can happen since there will no longer be energy required to make it happen. The "heat death" of the universe.

But, in any case, impossible things can't happen, as you note.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 am UTC

*Blindpost from 1129*
jjjdavidson wrote:Blindposting because I've got to get some coma time in, but I really want to get these graphs out.

Post rate by time of day for the sixteen users who've requested their graphs (and for me). User by user, these graphs show how a user's post rate varies from average throughout the hours of the day. I've added my own comments for each graph. PNG versions for the SVG-handicapped.

Yappobiscuits is in England, four hours ahead of RDT (or is it three?) Yappo's peak time is from 5-9pm RDT (9pm to 1am his time?) while his slack time is from 5am to 1pm (9am to 5pm his time?) reinforcing Andy M. Stewart's assertion that musicians have "no concept of how to function during daylight hours."

Haha! Yeah, you caught me there...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 am UTC

They're collectors! That's new information. They must have been stockpiling for a while because the river wasn't reaching them at the shore when they built the castle, so that stuff couldn't have arrived recently. And presumably it must be a pretty big stockpile to have all that useful building material just lying around free to play with.

When Megan says "We collect things", does she mean just the two of them, or their people?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”