1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Arky

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:How many people strong are you?

That's what I was coming in to say.

Although the "strong" is more by inference than anything visible. Wouldn't shock me if this is another one which prompts another "no comprende senor /wakarimasen / non capisco" glance between Meg and Cue.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:So my way of working (I tell my boss: "I can make that more efficient and that more efficient but to make that more efficient we need a real programmer") isn't all that wrong?
Spoiler:
I can't do much beyond Excel macros. It's fun but some people try to much with it and then it gets extremely messy.

You've got it exactly right.

Thanks, I'll carry on then!
I also have the "advantage" of a terrible memory. I have to comment the shit out of anything I write cause otherwise I will need to much time to understand what I was doing during maintenance or even the next day. Usually I write things like "The next part does x because I need that as input for Y" or "I didn't use $standard_procedure because that cant do Y"
Spoiler:
For example: for loops tend to create interesting results if you delete rows inside the for loop that runs through all rows:

Code: Select all

For Each cell In Range("A1", "A100")
    If cell.Value = "To be deleted" Then
        cell.EntireRow.Delete
    End If
Next cell

gives interesting results. If the text "To be deleted" is on two consecutive rows then only the first row is deleted. The next row is not checked. Easily detected in testing, but if you build a custom "for loop" then someone reading the program is probably going to have a WTF moment.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Coal

Postby Coal » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

How many people strong are you?

Murderous? Numerous?

ETA Doh!

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time!
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

C6 and M2.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:I think it is

"They understand nothing, so (thus) they will tend to matters".

Also, hi! :)

1st-post throwing! Hi, Gedeon and welcome. :mrgreen:

There was another 1st post I saw about 4-5 NPs back but I forgot to grab it. So 'hi' to everyone new and/or 1st time de-lurkers. Heck, HI TO ALL THE LURKERS, too. We know you're out there. 8-)

MOLPY UP!
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Gedeon wrote:I think I've got it!

It says "How many people strong are you?"

EDIT: Ninja'd

Welcome, Gedeon. Good eye. I have to head in to work soon, so you can take over helping everyone figure out her speech (we really should agree on a name for her). Speaking of which, I agree with the early analysis that suggests we know one Beanie's name, and thought maybe that Beanie should now be "Amy"

I noticed that the "y" from many was shifted down, and this seems to be the second time this has happened. Given that elements of Beanish seem to sneak into her speech, this strongly suggests to me that one of the diacritics is a "y" sound at least at the end of a word. I think someone may have already suggested that, and here is further evidence.

Thanks!

I'll try to do my best. There is certainly some significance of this character shifting, but it's hard to establish clear connection with beanish.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Wow, Megan is keen to get a look at those books! Either that or she's running to prevent our translator friend collapsing under their weight.

Rule110 wrote:Then there's the really important difference, which puts us in the realm of completely alternative world (whether far-future or entirely arbitrary Randallverse) and not just anachronism: the physical and cultural position Hypatia is apparently occupying. (Pardon me if I prefer to base her name on her status instead of her hair.) An academic state of some sort? Time may tell.

I for one definitely appreciate your philosophy on naming. Not that her hair isn't distinctive, but it's far from the only remarkable thing about her. I'm curious though why her physical/cultural position signifies a completely alternative world?

Well, her physical position is within a grand and yet well-protected room, past an even larger "great hall" of some sort, within a castle. Such rooms are scaled to house the daytime activities of the apparatus of a city or a larger state: a throne, functionaries, guards, courtiers and so forth. Our subject, though, instead uses this space as her private office. Being able to do so demonstrates a position of high authority and/or respect; a regional governor, queen, or high priestess, perhaps; and yet her solitude is uncharacteristic of such a position. A high priestess might spend time in seclusion if the practices of the religion so demand, and a potentate might do so out of personal preference (think Howard Hughes), but the three Beanies were obviously permitted to just walk in. Such accessible solitude would be more fitting someone working on an important but largely solitary task, such as an academic. I could perhaps make a comparison to Hogwarts, if the entire dining hall were instead used solely as the entryway to Dumbledore's office; but even that's fictional to begin with.

That's what suggested an unusual social order here that's not much like anything we know from history. (By the way, that has nothing to do with her gender -- which we don't even know for certain anyhow -- if that's what you were asking.)

Another possibility, though, that some people have mentioned since then, is that the castle is in some sort of temporary state of partial occupancy, and not actually being used for the purpose it was originally built and proportioned for. Our Hypatia could, perhaps, be the equivalent of the lead architect or project manager of the contractors doing the construction, and merely occupying the "throne room" for convenience. (In that case, one hopes that the exit toward the right leads directly to the construction zone, rather than the workers having to walk all the way along that hall every time they need a purchase order signed.) Or truly an academic auxiliary (comparable to the archaeologists sometimes assigned to construction sites, or the curator of a historical site), permitted to use otherwise unused space. That wouldn't tell us much about the Beanies' general culture, in those cases.

One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Arky wrote:

Although the "strong" is more by inference than anything visible. Wouldn't shock me if this is another one which prompts another "no comprende senor /wakarimasen / non capisco" glance between Meg and Cue.

S is clearly visible, and T could be shifted up a bit. Maybe "STR" is hard for her to pronounce because they don't have such long consonants-without-a-vowel combinations in beanish.

Also, hi Valarya!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:So my way of working (I tell my boss: "I can make that more efficient and that more efficient but to make that more efficient we need a real programmer") isn't all that wrong?
Spoiler:
I can't do much beyond Excel macros. It's fun but some people try to much with it and then it gets extremely messy.

Not necessarily. See cellocgw's signature:
"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Harry Callahan
"A man's got to know his limits." -- L'Hopital

And yes, excel macros can get out of hand, and worse, are hard to debug.

Since I'm being referenced here, I'll mention that any time someone says "hey, I don't need a real language 'cause I can write stuff in Excel," I pull out a workbook I wrote once and show them how Excel plays Pong against itself, and respond "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." If you're interested, grab a copy here
((oops, there goes MY anonymity :cry: )). Seriously: if you can get Excel VisualBasic to do anything at all, you can easily learn to use Matlab/Octave or R in short order.
IMHO, "real programmers" are the ones who design and implement the underlying engines; I'm in awe of them.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

edfel wrote:HumONGs ?

Why read it as anything other than "How many people ONG are you?"
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Arky wrote:

It's definitely how many because the faded word under it looks like "numerous".

Beardo has had trouble with 'R's before (I think, I'll check) so it would make sense that she blurred "Strong"

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

No time to search for a good molpy UP image, but just wanted to thank all of you for your efforts at translating Beanadette's speech.

I like the fact that she is sitting near them at the same level, rather than across the desk.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.

This is why I'll stick with Rosetta. Sounds nice, has some meaning (the figure hosts beneath something like a half rose window), is not as overloaded by special heretic history as Hypatia.

I am still pondering why GLR chose this way of visualisation of not-quite-sufficient speech synthesis. Megan and Cueball "speak" in graphemes, not in phonetic scripture, the Beanies' foreign native language is, too, perfectly visualised by graphemes and not phonetic scripture. To follow that rule, GLR would have had to use a mixture of Beanie and latin graphemes.

Instead he visualized the problems on understanding a non-native speaker without practice with blurring and blocking, even connects slightly to the speakers' semantic nodes (adding an echo on synonyms). It is very interesting - but a break of pattern.

Well. Breaking patterns seems to be one of his hobbies, anyway.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Hmm. So, my theory is a bit far-out: Cuegan were originally from the "people in the hills". These people had a ritual that involved human sacrifice, and chose them for it (when they were younger). Cuegan escaped with what little survival tools they had and ran away. A while later they tried to return but the people tried to attack them so they left permanently. LaPetite is a little girl from the hills who doesn't know yet that she's supposed to hate Cuegan.

Or, that might all be wrong, because it ignores the whole "tents" thing.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Has nobody mentioned that we're (hopefully) about to find out how many other Cueganites exist? :D

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
Arky wrote:

Beardo has had trouble with 'R's before (I think, I'll check) so it would make sense that she blurred "Strong"

She has problems with:
(tr)aveled
dese(rt)
(tr)anspires
s(tr)ong
among other words.

No apparent problem with R inbetween vowels.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

You've got it exactly right.

Thanks, I'll carry on then!
I also have the "advantage" of a terrible memory. I have to comment the shit out of anything I write cause otherwise I will need to much time to understand what I was doing during maintenance or even the next day. Usually I write things like "The next part does x because I need that as input for Y" or "I didn't use $standard_procedure because that cant do Y"
Spoiler:
For example: for loops tend to create interesting results if you delete rows inside the for loop that runs through all rows:

Code: Select all

For Each cell In Range("A1", "A100")
    If cell.Value = "To be deleted" Then
        cell.EntireRow.Delete
    End If
Next cell

gives interesting results. If the text "To be deleted" is on two consecutive rows then only the first row is deleted. The next row is not checked. Easily detected in testing, but if you build a custom "for loop" then someone reading the program is probably going to have a WTF moment.

A beginner tip for programming. Every time you think you need a comment stop to think if maybe it wouldn't be better to take that commented block of code, pull it out into a separate function that describes what it is used for. Sometimes this doesn't work if you have a bit of code that is necessarily dense for the sake of efficiency, but most of the time it improves the quality and readability of the end product. This is a general comment, I've never worked with excel macros (I do mostly web programming these days) so if macros don't make it easy to pull out a function, then please disregard this advice. :)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

She wants to know their numbers? I'd be wary of giving too much away; how do we know these hill people are to be trusted...?

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

ConfusONG number...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is the translator's accent getting less opaque? It's still smudgy, but the smudges seem less black.B Perhaps she's beginning to pick up Megball's accent already.

For the record, I believe I'm the one who first called her Farrah, but I prefer the name Rosetta, despite her hairdo.H

Sweet Rosetta Stone, she thought she spoke in Unglish,
    But we see some words she missed.
    Her pronunciation's looking pretty junglish,
    J
    But Megball can get the gist.
    Less black!
    Less black!
    Less black when you can talk less wrong!
    L
B Lighter black?
H After seeing her called Hairdo so many times, my reading of Beardo has gone from "Beard-oh" to "Bear-due".
J From "jungle" or "Jung" ─ take your pick.
L -ly.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:

Not necessarily. See cellocgw's signature:
"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Harry Callahan
"A man's got to know his limits." -- L'Hopital

And yes, excel macros can get out of hand, and worse, are hard to debug.

Since I'm being referenced here, I'll mention that any time someone says "hey, I don't need a real language 'cause I can write stuff in Excel," I pull out a workbook I wrote once and show them how Excel plays Pong against itself, and respond "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." If you're interested, grab a copy here
((oops, there goes MY anonymity :cry: )). Seriously: if you can get Excel VisualBasic to do anything at all, you can easily learn to use Matlab/Octave or R in short order.
IMHO, "real programmers" are the ones who design and implement the underlying engines; I'm in awe of them.

I did most of the underlying work for my final work for school in matlab. Love it. I even managed to abuse it into detecting words with only one vowel in it (although it could be in the word as many times as needed."between" would qualify as it has only e's and no other vowels) from a quite complete dictionary list. A friend could use it for a poetry exercise.
But now I have no access to Matlab. Excel is oft used here and I use macros to concat excel sheets or sort the data into separate sheets. It was usually done by hand here, which often meant hours of simple repetitive tasks. If I need a real language I usually also need a real programmer.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Arky wrote:

She has problems with:
(tr)aveled
dese(rt)
(tr)anspires
s(tr)ong
among other words.

No apparent problem with R inbetween vowels.

Ah, so she is bad at consonant groups, which further confirms that beanish is probably a CVCV type language, with diacritics marking the type of vowel between the more significant consonants.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Hmm, this one is hard to decipher.

[When?] is forty?

(Clarify forty? makes more sense)

My numbers are no [sa?].

Yes! Good.
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Ketchup post...

Responses for:
yappobiscuits
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:They understand nöthing?

So Queball is a Beanie?

wizpretz
Spoiler:
wizpretz wrote:[off-topic]
A question for the programmers among you: When/where/how did you get your start in programming? I am looking into learning programming and I'd like to hear your advice. I've read some of the thread on this topic here in the xkcd fora but I'm still not quite sure what to learn or how to learn it and I'd probably give more weight to what you guys say (even if I didn't mean to). You can point me to tutorials, other forums, or just give general advice if you'd like. Thanks in advance.
[/off-topic]

Seen various responses, but none matched my experience, so I'll add it as well.
I first started programming in BASIC on an old Atari 800 computer (around '85 or so), and to begin with my friends and I would just copy programs out of books and magazines (from these places called "libraries"). We eventually started experimenting with modifying the more interesting ones, especially some of the games, and with (some) trial and (a lot of )error, got fairly good at it.

jjjdavidson
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>
I was foolish enough to change my major from math to comp sci.
<snip>

Anecdotal, but related - when I started working at my present company, I spent a lot of time talking with the interviewer afterwards. Apparently, at the time, they preferred Math majors to comp sci - as you say, anyone (within reason) can be taught the mechanics of programming, but studying higher maths gives you a better feel for logical thinking and advanced problem solving.

Everyone else
Spoiler:
someone else wrote:<I dont remember>

I had another post I wanted to reply to, but I accidentally closed that tab, and can't remember even what it was, let alone who said it. So - if anyone has a comment that they feel didn't get the recognition it deserved, rest assured I probably wanted to reply to it.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Also, note the second text:
Yes! Good.

Why that enthusiasm/exclamation mark? It almost sounds like "They don't pose a threat" or even "We can crush them if we want/have to". What are her plans?

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

What means forty?

Numbers are no same?

<speculation> maybe they don't use base 10 up here so she can't extrapolate from the <10 numbers she already knows?

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

mindonner wrote:What means forty?

Numbers are no same?

<speculation> maybe they don't use base 10 up here so she can't extrapolate from the <10 numbers she already knows?

Maybe they use base 8, but that would imply they only have four fingers on one hand (like Donald Duck and most other cartoon characters :D )
Last edited by Gedeon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Cuegan doing math! :shock:
It's ALL related. If they start discussing infinities then GLR is indeed following us as we follow him.

Query: Is a longish break from posting, for a semi-regular poster, a semi-delurk? Anyhoo, semi-delurking to thank, well, pretty much everybody - it's been a particularly wowterful couple of dips to be watching, reading and learning. We've had some conversations about favorite frames in the OTC, but if we want to talk about favorite pages in the OTT (which apparently I do), my vote is for the last 20 or so, since the start of the OTS (One True Soundtrack) discussion (yes, I know, that covers a LOT of territory, seaish, if you will, but it's just been FUN). And a lovely new crop of posters, and the return of some old friends. can't wait for some other old friends to return, too
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:Hmm, this one is hard to decipher.

[When?] is forty?

My numbers are no [sa?].

Yes! Good.

Perhaps:

[What] is forty?

All numbers are too same.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

[When?] is forty?

My numbers are no [sa?].

Yes! Good.

Where you see NO I see Too, maybe Too Small?

"What is Forty?
My numbers are too short"

I got my numbers from playing with Fade.

Looks like ACU or ACL to the left of it.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

200 posts!
I bring you a Present Present:

OTTer Fellows
(based on Otter Pirates by yappobiscuits)

Spoiler:
Many wips ago in the internet
Some lonely xuys just did dwell
Plenty of comics they could read
They were silent, all was well

Until one day they woke to find
A comic that did change
More timeframes came by javascript
And the alt-text was really quite strange

But our OTTers would not give in
A plan they hatched, they worked all night
Newpixbot, aubronwood, geekwagon
To reclaim what was theirs by right

Now they’re a crew of OTTer fellows
The thread is all they read
They sometimes write off-topic
But the place here is really neat

The river’s small, the sea’s big
And wow some trees are called.
And they’ve begun to gift some cake
OTTer fellows, brave and bold

Then one frame they saw the rising sea
Some dikes as it reached the shore
And Cuegan started on their quest
And they’re left alone once more

But they thought “This needle-pulled thing is much too fun
Outside is full of tears”
They came to stay as loyal TimeWaiters
Now all will live in here…

As a crew of OTTer fellows

The river’s small, the sea’s big
And wow some trees are called.
And they've begun to gift some cake
OTTer fellows, brave and bold

“We've followed the whole comic, at our best
But still we hunger for more, no time to rest
For we're OTTers now, there's only one place to be
So now we'll wait for it and we shall see"

They walked upstream for many days
Till the mountains came in sight
Analyzed all pixels’ change
No one can stop the OTTers' might

Now they're the rulers of the forum
Pride of the OTC
Don't be fooled by popes and lingo
They will ketchup as they please

They’re a crew of OTTer fellows

For all Time they'll wait for newpix
So long as the order’ll hold.
And that my friends is the tale of
OTTer fellows, brave and bold…

OTTer fellows, brave and bold!
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Guys! We've missed an obvious extrapolation here: Megan knows multiplication!

...I don't know what the implications of that are.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

I am reading that as

What is Forty?
All numbers are no same.

I definitely see "All" as the first word on the second line.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

What is forty?
My numbers are too small.

ETA. She doesn't know the words for high numbers, that is why Megan clarifies with smaller numbers and Rosetta says "Yes!! Good!"
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

stop posting so I can post this already!

Postby HES » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

I like Rosetta. It fits well as a name and has a good meaning.

edo wrote:
edfel wrote:HumONGs ?
Spoiler:

Why read it as anything other than "How many people ONG are you?"

Cannot unsee... this will only fuel the RRTOTTers

Some good suggestions. Interestingly, though it is hard to properly decipher, her meaning is clear.
The different base idea could work
He/Him/His Image

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Ah, could it be SCANT!

MY numbers are to Scant.

I'm sure on the S.A.., or maybe SA... I'm not good at this.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:I am reading that as

What is Forty?
All numbers are no same.

And the second should be "my"...

"All my numbers are no (too) same".

First line is really capcha'd.

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:

[When?] is forty?

My numbers are no [sa?].

Yes! Good.

Where you see NO I see Too, maybe Too Small?

"What is Forty?
My numbers are too short"

I got my numbers from playing with Fade.

Looks like ACU or ACL to the left of it.

I think you're right with "small" since there appears to be an "A" in the middle of the word, though I think it's "ALL" to the left of it.

"What is forty?
All my numbers are too small."

Now, what's up with Megan going straight for reverse Polish notation? What clues does it give us into the Beanies' language and culture?

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:I am reading that as

What is Forty?
All numbers are no same.

I'm almost sure it's "my". The thing that looks like All is kind of in a dark grey, if you look for the darker, black letters, the "my" stands out. Well, not exactly stands out, but I think it's clear when you know what you're looking for.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Rule110 wrote:One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.

This is why I'll stick with Rosetta. Sounds nice, has some meaning (the figure hosts beneath something like a half rose window), is not as overloaded by special heretic history as Hypatia.

Fair enough, but what the heck is special heretic history?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”