1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:ucim, another great chapter of the AotC! That was a nice ceremony!

OMR, I completely forgot about that – I was halfway reading it when current events distracted me. Thanks for the reminder.
⁷some Acts, ucim, as always!
(It all reads so normal to us, but I wonder what an Outsider would make of it...)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Gedeon wrote:One manip from me, hope you like it...

Spoiler:

That's awesome, but who plays Dr. Strangelove? Lucky?

Or maybe Time is the sequel?

Wow, that's a good idea! Civilization destroyed by nuclear world war is always an interesting scenario.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Caught up! And OMR, this is exciting̿

edfel wrote:
edfel wrote:Take a sea the size of the mediterranean. What is the total inflow needed to make it go up by ~3q/week? What about large american lakes? What is the minimum size of a lake/sea for people not to see the other shore?

Answering my first question (thanks to W|A!): 104 times the flow of the Amazonian river.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%2 ... scharge%29

Which it possibly did!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

I missed one Cueball audition so you can listen to that one again in the link above and vote again if you want.

Ok thanks guys for all the feedback and votes so far. It is really close but some are finding it very hard to decide and want new auditions of the same lines. So I think the next step is to ask the top voted people from this first round of voting to re submit to a set script. People have noted they don't have a lot of time to listen to all the options so this is why I think it's important we don't force everyone to resubmit to the next round of voting. However we still want to hear any new voices we haven't heard yet so please if your able to you can submit to the new set script and you will go straight into the semi finals!

If you haven't voted in the quarter finals in the link above then you still can to let us know who you want to resubmit again.

I think for the semi-finals script we should pick a couple of frames with back and forward vocals of both Megan and Cueball as some of you wanted to judge the chemistry between the two as well.

The best 2 (maybe 3) of each group will advance to the finals where I will create a combined versions from the semi-finals submissions of each combination of Megan and Cueball left so you can hear all 4 combinations (if we have just 2 Cue's and 2 Meg's) of their voices interacting with each other. The pairing that has the most votes gets the job!

buffygirl will pick a script for us to use and submissions would probably be best as PM's to either Me or buffygirl to keep them semi anonymous and we can just use your designated C1-8 M1-4 codes so listeners can ignore the names and just focus on the voices. Because we will have less submissions for this round we can have them as just individual sound clips as buffygirl wanted.

Please I need feedback and any suggestions. And remember to vote for the quarter finalists you want to hear again!

Feedback so far: (warning I'm long)
Spoiler:
Eliram wrote:I liked best:
C5
M2 & M3

I think it's because these samples sound the most as how I imagined their voices in my head + easy to understand + have more natural feeling.
It was not easy to choose...

NoMouse wrote:C5 and C6
M3

C5's voice fits well to my image of Cueball, as well as C6's and I very much like the acting of C6.
M3 - again, it fits the best for me and the yawn-part is very well played.

adnapemit wrote:I choose C6 & M4

Cuegan seem to be a bit scared of the people in the hill. Back when Megan was hurt she mentioned the people in the hill and Cueball replies that they are a "long way" from there. They must be very mean people :(

yappobiscuits wrote:C5, M3.

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:C6 and M2.

ZoomanSP wrote:C1 or C5, M2 (second version of the identical text)

ZBerg wrote:I'll put my lurker vote in:
C6 and M1

Cueball always struck me as a melancholy phlegmatic, making his voice very studied, but not altogether lazy or over-precise.
Megean seems much more choleric and sanguine, getting very straight forward and quicker, though not flighty.

edfel wrote:C5, M2 :)

Zorin_75 wrote:M3 & C6

Moose Anus wrote:C6
M2

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I'm finding this really hard -- I think I tend to be biased toward longer samples (where I get a better feel for the voice). I would be happier making a decision if the different examples had the same content ....

just to make more work for everyone...

Fictioneer wrote:I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

buffygirl wrote:Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

Fictioneer wrote:I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

I've wondered about that too -- It's not just about the individual voices, but how they sound together.

Febrion wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

I would prefer it this way - most of my time spent here is either on my phone (limited functionailty, and really hard to post with), or at work (which blocks all the interesting stuff). I only have small windows where I'd be able to both listen to the various samples, and post a response, or even submit a recording of my own1

1Assuming I ever get over this cold =p

lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Thoughts?

I really appreciate Latent22 taking the time to set up the polling. But I do think it makes sense to have a standardized script. If you were willing to take the lead on that, I think it's a great idea.

I'm on it!!!

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.

If I've missed your voice or want to add your audition as well let me know!

C5,M3 C5 is exactly the voice in my head when I read his lines, M3 is the closest to what I hear, but a bit off. (Megan seems more assertive, I think, and perhaps younger)

If we need beanish men, I vote for C4. If Arthur P. Dent shows up, I'll have a hard time choosing between C3 and C6.

No voices appropriate for Ms. Rosetta Hairdo. (All the lady voices are American? WHa?)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:
slinches wrote:

Spoiler:

That's awesome, but who plays Dr. Strangelove? Lucky?

Or maybe Time is the sequel?

Wow, that's a good idea! Civilization destroyed by nuclear world war is always an interesting scenario.

It may be a good idea, but it certainly isn't a new one

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:

Spoiler:
I missed one Cueball audition so you can listen to that one again in the link above and vote again if you want.

Ok thanks guys for all the feedback and votes so far. It is really close but some are finding it very hard to decide and want new auditions of the same lines. So I think the next step is to ask the top voted people from this first round of voting to re submit to a set script. People have noted they don't have a lot of time to listen to all the options so this is why I think it's important we don't force everyone to resubmit to the next round of voting. However we still want to hear any new voices we haven't heard yet so please if your able to you can submit to the new set script and you will go straight into the semi finals!

If you haven't voted in the quarter finals in the link above then you still can to let us know who you want to resubmit again.

I think for the semi-finals script we should pick a couple of frames with back and forward vocals of both Megan and Cueball as some of you wanted to judge the chemistry between the two as well.

The best 2 (maybe 3) of each group will advance to the finals where I will create a combined versions from the semi-finals submissions of each combination of Megan and Cueball left so you can hear all 4 combinations (if we have just 2 Cue's and 2 Meg's) of their voices interacting with each other. The pairing that has the most votes gets the job!

buffygirl will pick a script for us to use and submissions would probably be best as PM's to either Me or buffygirl to keep them semi anonymous and we can just use your designated C1-8 M1-4 codes so listeners can ignore the names and just focus on the voices. Because we will have less submissions for this round we can have them as just individual sound clips as buffygirl wanted.

Please I need feedback and any suggestions. And remember to vote for the quarter finalists you want to hear again!

Feedback so far: (warning I'm long)
<snip>

(that's what he said)
I'm on it!!!

FTFM

Ok, there are friggin NINETEEN PAGES of dialogue (in my word processor)!! But it's all good.

BlueCrab

Re: Beacon Beta, Papal Decree

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Firsts things first:
Time Travelers: Welcome to Beacon Beta.

Please report to the Future Present if you're more than 5 pages behind.
The Tracker will be available soon.

Spoiler:
Well, while I wait for that issue to be fixed, I'll post the papal decree here.

Image The Pope asks:
  • Where do you think the Beanies are leading Megball to?
  • Do you folks make backups?
  • Where are our phoenixes and platypodes?

Your opinion is of utmost importance for us. We are very happy to know more about you.

Beacon Beta! I never did reply to Beacon Alpha, so I may glitch the system. :wink:
I'm 25 newpages behind now! :cry: But I'm waiting as fast as I can, I'll get there eventually.
Beta is now the tenth post down on np 1116; did a herd of firstposters delurk, or did a slew of messages get deleted?!
Spoiler:
-My guess is that Cuegan are being led to accommodations, unless this is a shortcut through the citadel. I think that when they understood that Cuegan were from the seashore, the Beanies realized that Cuegan might have information the Beanies didn't have, hence the trip to see Beardo. Since there's no imminent threat, they'll give Cuegan a chance to clean up before meeting the translator.
-I don't backup my devices - that is, my ex-husband the i-geek says he has all the wireless devices in the house set to backup to a hard drive on a regular basis (being on good terms with your ex can have its downsides) but my devices always say they have no idea what he's talking about. I save every time I leave the post-reply page, though, because I've had things disappear into the ether too ch*rping many times. :?
-Phoenixes and platypodes - they're OTTers, aren't they? Lurking, I hope, and soon to return.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Eternal Density

(blindposting from page 1132)

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Guys! We've missed an obvious extrapolation here: Megan knows multiplication!

...I don't know what the implications of that are.

Girls are good at math :P
(Also I'm surprised I haven't seen a reference to "Lex Luthor took forty cakes..." yet. Maybe next newpage.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
Caught up! And OMR, this is exciting̿

edfel wrote:
edfel wrote:Take a sea the size of the mediterranean. What is the total inflow needed to make it go up by ~3q/week? What about large american lakes? What is the minimum size of a lake/sea for people not to see the other shore?

Answering my first question (thanks to W|A!): 104 times the flow of the Amazonian river.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%2 ... scharge%29

Which it possibly did!

That's a very neat article you found here...
Does it really fit with our scenario? The initial stage would be slower, no?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

KeonSkyfire

Postby KeonSkyfire » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

-Ignore this post. Go back to waiting. This did not contain something embarrassing where I fell for a joke or anything... Move along.-
Last edited by KeonSkyfire on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

breakfast2

Postby breakfast2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

After many a moon keeping one eye on the OTT and OTC, I've decided to delurk after this most recent scare over the End Of Time (eye of the tiger?). I wouldn't want have watched Time pass me by!

I'll take a gander at the auditions when I get a chance.

Also I'm still holding out hope for telepathy.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

KeonSkyfire wrote:So, do we know where we are? Also, Rosetta seems to have just spoken out an image, which is quite a feat...

:mrgreen: That was not a real ONG.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

C1 is actually closest to what I hear in my head, so I'll vote for that. I like C6 too, though. And I'm split between M2 and M3, so a half a vote each.

I think having a finalist round, where people read a script, is a great idea. It would also be great if we could somehow have potentials read with each other to get the best fit.

neopifex wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
neopifex wrote:I live in the SF Bay Area...<snip>

Hey, what part of the Bay Area? I'm in Santa Cruz...

waves southward
I'm up in Concord (east bay, if you're not familiar with the area).

Having lived in the Central Valley during college, I don't think I'd mind that part of the state being flooded. :twisted:

Oh, hi! *waves back* Sure, I know where Concord is.
Yeah, the Central Valley isn't the most fabulous place to be, but it is the nation's salad bowl and all that.

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
ketchuploop.gif

Redundant
Spoiler:
ketchuploop.gif
Did I do that right?
The spoilering was fine. However, as you can see above, the pictures do not show up in the quote. For this, you have to put the image address in image tags:
[ img ] http : // forums . xkcd . com / download / file.php?id=38113 [ / img ] (without all the spaces). To get the image address, you have to click on "Preview" first, and then get the image address by right-clicking on the picture in the preview post. Afterwards, it should look like this:
<snip>

lmjb1964 wrote:Someday remind me to tell about my adventures measuring bull elephant seals...

Yes, please! Image I like elephant seals1! How can you approach them without being squashed?!

D'oh! I did click preview, but didn't right-click to get the URL. No wonder I was confused. Thanks for walking me through that.

Seaish (which I guess is appropriate) description of measuring male elephant seals:
Spoiler:
So, male elephant seals weigh two tons, but can move surprisingly quickly if motivated. So you don't want to annoy them. This was several years ago, so they may have a new method for measuring them, but when I did it, it was a 3-person operation. One person stood in front of the elephant seal, but at a safe distance so the seal didn't feel threatened, and waved their arms to distract the seal. Another person walks up behind the seal with a long measuring stick and tries to hold it up alongside the seal without it noticing. A third person is off to the side with a camera; they take a picture and later use it to determine the length of the seal. I was the person with the measuring stick. It was more than a little alarming when the seal realized you were right behind it, and started looking over its shoulder to see what you were up to. You did NOT want it to turn around and go after you. Very exciting!

BTW, to get the weight, they would bury a mondo scale in the sand. They lured the male into the area by playing female seal sounds, and putting a decoy female on the other side of the scale from the male. He would move in to put the moves on her, and the researchers would hopefully get the weight.

This is how they did it at Año Nuevo State Park. They may have other methods elsewhere...

mscha wrote:MappONG...
Spoiler:

Got me for just a second...

Spoiler:

Nice one!

gnetwerker wrote:Example of an ice dam blocking a fjord:
Spoiler:
http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/hubbard/photos/
I kayaked there in 2000. The last catastrophic failure of the ice dam had been in 1986, when the water level dropped 91 feet (clearly, it had risen that much over time). In 2002, the ice dam re-formed, and the water level rose over 61 feet in just 10 weeks. It then failed again catastrophically.

(Long-time lurker. Will now go back to lurking.)

Hi, gnetwerker! That's a nice fjord. Were you pining for it?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

KeonSkyfire

Postby KeonSkyfire » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:
KeonSkyfire wrote:So, do we know where we are? Also, Rosetta seems to have just spoken out an image, which is quite a feat...

:mrgreen: That was not a real ONG.

Shh, I figured it out. Just 40 seconds too late.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:I've got a theory about an earthquake causing the sea to rise.
Spoiler:
If you look back at the beginning of the OTC, the sea is pretty much static for the first couple hundred frames. It doesn't really start rising noticeably until after Cuegan come back from swimming, I'd say at frame 190 (I'm going by the Geekwagon numbering here). If you go backwards from there, you'll see a bit of sandcastle fall down at the far left between frames 172 and 173 (http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=172) while Cuegan are still in the water out of frame.

That could be an indication of weak seismic waves from a distant earthquake reaching their area. The part that fell was one of the newest sections that Cueball added, so the sand would still be soft and wet. Since both Cueball and Megan were swimming at the time, they wouldn't have felt the tremors, so it would just look like part of the castle fell under its own weight. The sea starts rising a short time later, and appears to have slowly risen faster over time, which would match pretty well with a flood that widens its passage as more blockage is swept away by the floodwaters.

Any thoughts?

Yes indeed. It sounds plausible, but if true it certainly means GLR has done a lot of planning ahead. We've speculated a lot about that. This seems evidence that he isn't making it up a bit at a time, but has a plan.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

So, at some point along the way, I suppose I've had to admit defeat for my Cassinite Madagascar theory. Sadness.

But ... given what we now know about the sea level issue and possibly the extreme future setting, one location that might be viable is the area around the Black and Caspian Seas. The Caspian is actually far below mean sea level and expected to drop even further as global temperatures rise. However, the highest point along the Kuma–Manych Depression's thalweg is only 27m above the current level of the Sea of Azov. If global warming (or whatever other mechanism) were to raise global sea levels by 27m, water from the Sea of Azov would spill over that barrier and down the slope of the Kuma–Manych Depression, creating a series of cataracts at it descended over 50m along the remaining length of the thalweg to pour into the Caspian basin. The resulting super-Caspian would cover a massively larger area than it does currently.

The long-term climate change required for the substantial ice cap melting needed to produce 27m of sea level rise might explain how we have baobabs in the Caucasus?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Nice mappONG

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am UTC

This fortress is here.

This sea is yours.

This sea is joining yours.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Wow, so interesting events. Quick ketchup:
lgw wrote:
Spoiler:
Gedeon wrote:Thanks, Rule110!

Everything collected:

IN TIME EVEN THE HILLS (rocks) CHANGE.
WHEN PEOPLE FIRST WALKED AND FIRST
BUILT *** CITIES (castles) THE SEAS WERE JOINED (welded)
BUT THERE WAS A GREAT ***
(mud) ROCK*** AND THE PASSAGE (road) WAS CLOSED (forbidden).
YOUR SEA WAS *** WITH TOO FEW RIVERS (barred).
UNDER THE SUN SHRANK AND THE WATER FELL.
NOW THE SEA HAS FOUND A WAY BACK IN.

Also, possibly (united) beneath "found a way back in".

I'm becoming more sure of my guess that they're on the Med, despite the astronomy hinting otherwise. "Too few rivers" seems very strong to me.

"When people first built cities" pretty much confirms we're far-future IMO.
40°N crosses the Mediterranean Sea. And if we extend the tolerance a little, Black Sea fits too, the most southern shore is at 41°N.

mscha wrote:MappONG...
Spoiler:

Well played, sir. You really got me for a moment.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

gga2

Postby gga2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am UTC

The fortress is here.

This sea is yours.

This sea [ocean] is joining yours.

There is also beanish on your-sea, just north of your-sea, and on east-sea. The lakes may have labels as well but are far too small to be read.
Last edited by gga2 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 am UTC

CARTOGRAPHONG!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 am UTC

slinches wrote:Nice mappONG
Spoiler:

Western Mediterranean. They are currently in the Pyrenees or southern France.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Flado wrote:The funny thing is, my blindpostrant about an extended discussion of USA dialects I was painfully wading through at the timeщ inadvertently landed in the middle of another extended discussion of USA dialectsц! And my blindpost was on-topic thus concealing its rantiness! Pure paradox
Proving again that the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church is most definitely not (ret'd).

edfel wrote:Yeeeeeeeeees! A map! with caption and everything I hope, because the last one was a bit scarce on that ....
But it had so many lines and labels and symbols and... things!

neopifex wrote:Or maybe water flows through a portal...
Spoiler:
It's all connected!
Ouch!

@Gedion: Love the Dr Strangelove manip!

@mscha: Tsk tsk. MappONG my mustard! It's the foam maiden for you!

As for the sea rising, I think there may be more to it than an act of nature. Prediction: Nature was helped along. Will the Cuegan catch on?

eta: Looks like they started off in the wrong direction to discover the broken river in the first place. Also, the sea is named on the map in Beanish.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Thank you GLR !! now an official map!
First observations:
- the sea and desert have beanish names,
- the delta is there, just shorter (compared to width)
- the fortress is shown in the outskirt of the mountains, which means that they're probably in oone of the lowest mountains of the area
- guesstimated dimensions of the sea: 500km (width and height)
- the broken river is accurately drawn, which means the beanies have already cartographied this area (prior to Cegan's clan settling there?)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

joaquimds

Postby joaquimds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:09 am UTC

I'm just a lurker really, but the OTC has become such a big part of my life! I don't want it to end...

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 am UTC

By God! It is! :shock:

(I live in the middle of a map's north edge, if anyone's interested)

Last edited by Gedeon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 am UTC

From the map label we can confirm that 342J is likely SEA and 34'6 is the name of their sea. Or is the other way around?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 am UTC

CFS wrote:I know there's a lot of us new-posters/lurkers adding to the thread now. I hope its not too much of a problem for you old-TIMErs like Mscha, Blitzgirl, Hal9000 and the like.

The more the better, IMO. I love the influx of new people in the OTT.. makes it a much more interesting place! I also had to *giggle* a bit at calling BlitzGirl an old-TIMEr. :D She's definitely older than most, but lots of us were here when she first appeared and started the original Blitz. She surely captured everyone though, didn't she? Isn't the same around here without her. :cry:

In other news: I'm extremely happy I wasn't around when TIME stopped. I would have panicked.

Image Image Image Image Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:By God! It is! :shock:

(I live in the middle of a map's north edge, if anyone's interested)

Spoiler:

So if the sea levels have dropped then this fits nicely with the recent "What-IF".... and therefore we are in the country of..
Spoiler:
Netherlands
(edit: "teh" "the" whatever)
Last edited by RudeDude on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

robbak

Postby robbak » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 am UTC

I think we have another clear word - "sea' or 'lake' : Both 'your sea' and the one to the lower right have the same first word - 3'UJ, I think.

Does Standard Sinus Notation make a difference between right-high-curve and high dot?

P.S. Looks like we are flooding the Mediterranean basin then. By my reckoning, we are in Monaco.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Is Beanish French then? Anyone know the language want to take a crack at what we know?

Also, seems this happened 5.33 million years ago, were there even humans back then?

irino

Postby irino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 am UTC

nickjbor wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh my... thus ends location debate.
I wonder if there is a castle there. It appears to be above the present waterline (just barely).

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 am UTC

I've been following from day 1 BTW, I just have not had much to say until now.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Larger image coming soon...

Spoiler:
medtime.jpg

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Awesome!

BTW I've wanted to ask for months. WTF is a molpy?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 am UTC

nickjbor wrote:

Wow!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now we know where they are: Italy: My guess (based on a quick scan of Google Maps) is Mount Argentera.

Edit: after looking at Gedeon's overlay, I'm now thinking that Mount Argentera is too far east.
Last edited by taixzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 am UTC

nickjbor wrote:Awesome!

BTW I've wanted to ask for months. WTF is a molpy?

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Molpy
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

irino

Postby irino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 am UTC

This castle seems to be right there, especially if the beanies have imprecise mapping.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”