1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gedeon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Wow, there was an idea in 1920's to dam the Strait of Gibraltar and reduce the level of Mediterranean Sea. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

Offler

Postby Offler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Hi, I'm finally delurking to comment on the possibility that Basque is the basis for Beanish, (lmjb1964 mentioned it but I can't quote yet). It might be a mixture of Arabic and Basque, on the map you can see several big dots, not only the Chateau d'If, there is one between Montpellier and Carcassonne, but the biggest one is in Bilbao, (again, I can't insert a jpg yet) so maybe they trade or otherwise know of people over there.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 am UTC

(Ignore this post for same reasons as previous removed post)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Blindposting from a couple of NP back (i.e. like seven minutes ago... randamnit you guys) to ask: now that we're revisiting the question of time + location, would it help to take some more precise measurements of star positions and trajectories? In principle, we should be able to measure the star positions to sub-pixel resolution, by looking at how the anti-aliasing affects individual pixels. And we could also combine data across frames -- e.g. if we're interested in the distance between a given pair of stars, we could measure that in each frame where both stars are visible, and combine the results. Compensating for the projection would be a challenge, but -- again, in principle -- should be possible. We might also be able to determine what projection GLR used.

I believe I followed the general thrust of the astronomy discussion, but I wasn't able to keep all of the details straight, so it's not clear to me whether more precise star measurements would help anything.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Just realized that the closed up mediterranean sea (+11,000 years) seems to give a solution to the African flora/fauna so far north also. Sweet.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 am UTC

So, what do we do now? (well, in Time)
Invade OtherThreads? Petition GLR for Time II? Wait for *another* it?

ETA: I'll probably find some answers when I de-coma. Right now, molpy down.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:00 am UTC

LearnONG

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:01 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
edo wrote:By the way, the bottom of the med should be hellish (50C/122F)!

Unless they're just coming out of an ice age... which could also drop ocean levels possibly enough to re-close Gibraltar...

"Ozone is important in climate for several reasons. Ozone is a greenhouse gas, so its depletion directly affects the surface temperature. But a more intriguing connection comes from its role as the primary absorber of ultraviolet radiation in the upper atmosphere. By doing so, it provides the heat that causes the temperature at high altitudes to increase with altitude, creating a permanent inversion layer (analogous to the inversion layers that cause smog to accumulate on hot summer days). This process makes this region of the atmosphere adiabatically stable. The resulting absence of convection cells, and the consequential stratification, are what give the atmosphere its name and character. The stratification of this region creates a barrier that effectively puts a cap on the troposphere, the region of the atmosphere that contains our weather and climate. When you watch a thunderhead building up on a hot summer day, it finally reaches what appears to be a glass ceiling which causes it to spread out into its famous "anvil" shape. This glass ceiling is the tropopause, the boundary of the troposphere and the stratosphere. It is the limit to which convection will rise, and it is created by the ozone layer.

"...Anything that affects ozone could, in principle, affect the entire climate pattern of the Earth. [...] Our climate models are not sufficiently reliable to enable us to know with certainty what the global effects of ozone depletion would be, but they are likely to be of the first order."

--Richard A. Muller, Gordon J. MacDonald, _Ice Ages and Astronomical Causes: Data, Spectral Analysis and Mechanisms_
Last edited by xiphmont on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 am UTC

***Blindposting from page 1090***

I miss you all. I am having to resort to Skimblitzing, but I am loving every word that I am able to read. I always enjoy how we are able to reaffirm what makes the OTT so great. I am sure I am missing some wonderful stuff, but I am still catching some wonderful OTTifications and enjoying the TdF news reels. Also glad to see posts from OTTers that were absent for some time. It appears that I shall be enjoying the ranks of those rarely seen until I'm able to reach the future present.

Also, I would like to point out that linking to a flash based Portal game is NOT a positive incentive for blitzers. I only hope that it does not delay my skimblitz too much (though I am certain it will delay me slightly).

I shall continue to skimblitz...

TimeLurker wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
cantab314 wrote:I can't believe this thing is still going.

The Thread is Forever, the Thread is Eternal
Many who join will Leave
but Many More will Enter
The Blitzing will be Done
The Manips will be Made
And Collectively, We will All
Wait For It.

I got chills when I read this. Of course I imagined that all of us in the OTT were chanting it in ceremonial robes around a bon-fire. That may have added to the chilliness.

Oh, are you saying that you did not put on your robe and start chanting this when you read it? Oh...er...um...me neither *stamps out fire*

Keep the faith all and wait for it!

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 am UTC

ON
Spoiler:
G
injad
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:LearnONG
Spoiler:

"WE LEARNED"
"IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE."
WHEN OUR PARENTS WERE" (Forefathers)
"LEARNING TO WALK UPRIGHT" (Stand)
"THE SEA FLED AND RETURNED."

Can't read the other background letters.
Last edited by Caswallon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Woah. The beanies know about human evolution and have an idea of both human ancestral development as well as geographic history. That means they're pretty close to as advanced as modern day people.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 am UTC

WE LEARNED
IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
WHEN OUR PARENTS (forefathers) WERE
LEARNING TO WALK UPRIGHT (stand on …)
THE SEA FLED AND RETURNED.

Molpy down.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

Unless they're just coming out of an ice age... which could also drop ocean levels possibly enough to re-close Gibraltar...

"Ozone balh blah blah....

In case it wasn't clear, this was also intended to be part of the 'how could Antares affect anything just by blowing away the ozone layer?' thought process.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:

"WE LEARNED"

And it's happening again.

Hypatia is a toaster.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Chinchokmataa wrote:Just realized that the closed up mediterranean sea (+11,000 years) seems to give a solution to the African flora/fauna so far north also. Sweet.

Could Beanish have African influence as well? I know nothing about African languages
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Woah. The beanies know about human evolution and have an idea of both human ancestral development as well as geographic history. That means they're pretty close to as advanced as modern day people.

Also, check those maps again. Either they have some ancient elevation maps, or a HELL of a survey crew -- that shoreline is huge!
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Woah. The beanies know about human evolution and have an idea of both human ancestral development as well as geographic history. That means they're pretty close to as advanced as modern day people.
no powerd machines though. peri-industrial?
EDIT: they may have just enough technology (read TNT) to save the cuegans
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

For Megan, it was hard to pick, but M2 stands out as having just the right innocence, life, and playfulness.

For Cueball, my top choices are C5 (a surprise, actually!), and close runner-up C1 and C6. For C5, the qualities that do it for me are youthful innocence, coupled with a little goofiness in the tone quality.
C1 has a different tone quality which also portrays youthfulness, but there's more confidence behind the words than what I envision Cueball having... (although walking hundreds of km to find out why the sea is rising shows a whale of a lot of gumption!)
C6 has a very interesting mix of youth energy and contemplation, which is a nice match for Cueball.

Jose

Thanks Jose. Wonder why you prefer C5 ;)

I think the recent setting of the location in the OTC may change some peoples view of what accent we should choose. Now a strong European accent doesn't seem out of place. Obviously someone from the Netherlands is the best choice because who else would have settled all this reclaimed land? But suddenly having an English accent doesn't seem as odd for Cueball as it did before to me.

Caswallon wrote:"WE LEARNED"

Now they are even mentioning the event 6 million years ago when it last happened!
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Whatever apocalyptic scenario happened, it clearly didn't destroy all sources of knowledge.

Even Cueball and Megan's comparatively ignorant tribe seemed to have some engineering nous if their casual building of trebuchets and scaffolding is anything to go by.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:
Chinchokmataa wrote:Just realized that the closed up mediterranean sea (+11,000 years) seems to give a solution to the African flora/fauna so far north also. Sweet.

Could Beanish have African influence as well? I know nothing about African languages

Very well could be. I resorted at one point to just start doing a brute-force search through Unicode tables and did note some similarities with script that I believe was African in nature. Nothing matched perfectly, but I also don't know how the individual glyphs in the character set may or may not layer...

EDIT: I shouldn't say "Nothing matched perfectly...". More accurate to say "Nothing I _found_ matched perfectly...". There's a lot of Unicode tables through which to sift.

thunderrabbit

Re: Oui! Oui!

Postby thunderrabbit » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:17 am UTC

CasCat wrote:Edit to add: I'm not disappointed by the Big Reveal in the map; I'm quite sure (having been one myself) that there are plenty of people following Time who aren't in, or have never heard of, the OTT. I know this because I was one of them until about page 733....

Confirmed!

I had bookmarked aubronwood's viewer and would check it once a month or so, but only discovered the OTT when it was at page 1140.

Eternal Density

(So say we all!)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:17 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:

"WE LEARNED"

And it's happening again.

Hypatia is a toaster.
Hey, go easy on the racial slurs!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 am UTC

It doesn't matter anymore... :\

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Incidentally, while it has already been mentioned that the final words of The Count of Monte Cristo are "Wait and Hope", y'all may be interested in the full last line of that book:

"All human knowledge can be contained in these two words: Wait and Hope"

As a big fan of the book, I have to admit that the "Chateau D'If" connection and that quote are kind of awesome (and make it seem ever more likely that the entire thing was indeed planned out in advance).
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

irino

Postby irino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:22 am UTC

I would like to point out that the ridges that Cuegan had to hop over (like the snake one) were probably formed as the water level dropped and hesitated (relatively) momentarily with a heavy rainy period or some other event. Not that it matters much now that we know what happened.

wertle

Postby wertle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:28 am UTC

I enjoy that even though Cuegan's language is English, it's completely arbitrary to the other languages in the world at that time. A vested interest in this world we wouldn't have identified with easily to boot. There's just something great going on here, whatever it is.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 am UTC

edo wrote:
no powerd machines though. peri-industrial?
EDIT: they may have just enough technology (read TNT) to save the cuegans

None that we've seen, at least. Who knows what they might have underground?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

sidd

Postby sidd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Here's a nice animation showing the Messinian salinity crisis about 6 million years ago ("it has happened before, when our parents were learning to walk upright"), and how Gibraltar burst like a damn. The video even shows how the land bridge aided the movement of baobabs an molpys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crisi ... niense.ogv
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messinian_Salinity_Crisis

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Ok, I'm blindposting a little bit here, since I haven't finished ketchup yet, even though I was only gone for 5 hours, there's a lot that's happened. By the way, I tend to ketchup by starting with the current and working backwards, is there a different name for that?

Anyway, I wanted to say that I considered arabic for a while for the following reason:

The apparent word for yes had two letters, both with a diacritic, which might mean a word with four sounds, two syllables. In most languages, the word for yes is a lot simpler. I searched for yes in multiple languages, and the most likely candidate was arabic, which I recall had nama as the word for yes. However, it wasn't a good match for water, and I couldn't really make much progress on the word for drink, so my research kind of petered out.

By the way, add me to the list of people happy with the revelations. Saying they're coming too quickly is ironic given how long it's been to get to this point. This is about as decompressed as story telling can get. This reminds me of the point in many good fantasy/scifi pics where the characters learn much of what they need to know (the Council of Elrond, meeting the oracle in the Matrix, etc.)

Lastly, has anyone mentioned Julian May's books that were set in the past in the Mediterranean basin? Good set of books, and makes me think of this.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:46 am UTC

(Ignore this one too, forgot to remove it earlier)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:51 am UTC

*Erherm*

Umm... for your amusement:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj1om2fbg2enw ... voices.wma

One (and a half?) serious attempt to deliver a line from time and several silly/different voices. Enjoy!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:53 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:By the way, add me to the list of people happy with the revelations. Saying they're coming too quickly is ironic given how long it's been to get to this point. This is about as decompressed as story telling can get. This reminds me of the point in many good fantasy/scifi pics where the characters learn much of what they need to know (the Council of Elrond, meeting the oracle in the Matrix, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really happy with the way things are going in terms of the story. It really feels at last like "waiting for it" has been properly worth it! I'm just sad that it'll possibly change the atmosphere in the thread that I've grown to love.

I'm not as worried about that. Based on what we've seen, I think Randall likes to throw in challenges too much for this not to stay interesting and speculative. Either way, we'll adapt, and I also hope this place will remain a fun place for all. I admit to some sadness thinking about the fact that it will eventually end, though. I prefer to hope Randall has a long story ahead of us.

markhb

Postby markhb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Hi all, yet another delurker, I've been following the OTC since sometime back on the beach, and in looking at the OTT off and on, I've decided that I love what you've done with the place! (yappobiscuits, I'm sorry, but for right now at least I'm just going to throw in my observations on the actual comic.)

Congrats to those who pegged the Mediterranean deluge; I was in the Black Sea camp until the most-recent ONGs set me on the true path.
The Monte Cristo castle definitely seems like it's a winner.
Someone said, ages ago I think, that Cuegan had a platonic relationship. I really don't think that's the case (unless "platonic" is taken to mean "not physical lovers"); I've been reading it all along as the tale of Cueball and Megan falling in love. The trebuchet, jumping out of the tree on him, the teasing, the brief awe-struck handholding when they lay eyes upon the castle in frame 2829 (no links because I'm getting flagged as spam, but it's the xkcd.mscha.org numbering), all remind me of a certain young lady at a campground many, many ONGs ago, and while I can't call it love I can say that it led to my first kiss :wink: .

OTOH, I'm still not sure I'm convinced that Cuegan are safe in their current environment. Yes, the beanies helped them and shared their food, but this castle still seems to have a military air about it in some ways. In frame 2822, that Beanie looks like a sentry holding a rifle. The court of Rosetta the Exposition Fairy was reached behind a locked door (and the beanies who were dismissed could have re-locked it), she has taken their gear with the lame excuse that "it's heavy" while conveniently positioning herself between them and it, and her first few questions to Cuegan essentially boiled down to ascertaining that they were there alone, with no backup, and the size of group they could possibly bring to bear... sounds like they could very well be prisoners now. OTOH, the GLR could simply be building that atmosphere into the story as a way to get us mere mortal believers to examine how trusting or suspicious each of us is of people who have done us no harm.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:00 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

"Ozone is important in climate for several reasons. Ozone is a greenhouse gas, so its depletion directly affects the surface temperature. But a more intriguing connection comes from its role as the primary absorber of ultraviolet radiation in the upper atmosphere. By doing so, it provides the heat that causes the temperature at high altitudes to increase with altitude, creating a permanent inversion layer (analogous to the inversion layers that cause smog to accumulate on hot summer days). This process makes this region of the atmosphere adiabatically stable. The resulting absence of convection cells, and the consequential stratification, are what give the atmosphere its name and character. The stratification of this region creates a barrier that effectively puts a cap on the troposphere, the region of the atmosphere that contains our weather and climate. When you watch a thunderhead building up on a hot summer day, it finally reaches what appears to be a glass ceiling which causes it to spread out into its famous "anvil" shape. This glass ceiling is the tropopause, the boundary of the troposphere and the stratosphere. It is the limit to which convection will rise, and it is created by the ozone layer.

"...Anything that affects ozone could, in principle, affect the entire climate pattern of the Earth. [...] Our climate models are not sufficiently reliable to enable us to know with certainty what the global effects of ozone depletion would be, but they are likely to be of the first order."

--Richard A. Muller, Gordon J. MacDonald, _Ice Ages and Astronomical Causes: Data, Spectral Analysis and Mechanisms_

The explaination was beautiful.
The layers of our Atmosphere cause this to be a lovely place for Carbon and Water to boogie.

I have no clue why you would post such a thing in the Time Thread.
It may be relevant.

Tick-Tock the atoms block uv.
Click-a-te-clack we can't get Time back.

Spoiler:
Too dark?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Blindposting from 10 pages back: Looks like Cuegan and their little village are considered those river rabble by the people in the hills.

Oh, hey I just realized the map has Italy, part of Spain, etc. They are in the Mediterranean. Oh I'm sure this is old news to you guys way up there in the future!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Coal

Postby Coal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Now it is happening again?

irino

Postby irino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 am UTC

Megan pointONG

Eternal Density

... Agatha started to miss him.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:08 am UTC

I can't make head of tail out of that, it's too opaque.

Experiment: a link to this post? hj56h56hj6oh456h3pjlk3654k6j
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KeonSkyfire

Postby KeonSkyfire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 am UTC

N-- (Now?) it is ha----- (Happening?) --gain(Again?)

"Now it is happening again" makes the most sense.

So, how many Cue will the water rise, approx?
Last edited by KeonSkyfire on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”