1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gedeon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

As the water flows, it widens the breach.
The berm is giving way.
The sea will rush through in a g***ent.
The planet's mightiest river will once again
come thundering down the mountainside.
The see will fill
not in years
but in days.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Last edited by Gedeon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

As the water flows, it widens the breach.
The berm is giving way.
The sea w(ill) rush through in a g(reat torren)t.
The planet's mightiest river will once again
come thundering down the mountainside.
The sea will fill
not in years
but in days.

But that's in days after the berm "gives way"... the dramatic question, which they can't possibly know the answer to, is how many days until that happens?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Was I the only one who heard "dun DUN DUNNNN!!!" at that last line?
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Poor molpies. :(

Altimeters must be tech accessible to the Beanies though, as they know about the current sea levels and projected new shoreline, so they must have made an educated guess about the survivability of this castle. I hope!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:Was I the only one who heard "dun DUN DUNNNN!!!" at that last line?

More of a DONG... DONG... DONG...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:Was I the only one who heard "dun DUN DUNNNN!!!" at that last line?

I think Cueball heard it, too, he's clasped his hands to his mouth.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:

More of an OH MY GLR!
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Well analyzed. However, if the Beanies are planning on occupying an island castle post-inundation, they must have boats, or at least plans for building them.

True, but there are boats... and there are boats!

Château d'If is less than a mile from the shores of Marseille, if Google Earth is not lying to me. With the same Google Earth caveat, the La Renaixenca Hills could be separated from higher points on the Rhône Fan by as much as 50 miles...

Even a simple dinghy and oars can be suitable to reach mainland france from the castle...but to rescue the Cueganites...

Spoiler:
"You're gonna need a bigger boat." (...and a bit faster, too!)

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

The path of Cuegan on Rosettas map overlaid on Google Maps...
OTT-Cuegan.jpg

A possible escape route for their folks in blue ... if they don't stop at some nearby hill to see what happens. :?

I haven't learned that redundant spoiler technology, so I guess this one can't be quoted...
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

addams wrote:I have no clue why you would post such a thing in the Time Thread.
It may be relevant.

It's what we were discussing.
The star maps place this in the future, with one noticeable major clue: Antares is missing. Today it is a very large very old star already fusing through shells of heavier elements and due to go supernova any time.
It is also very close; it is very likely to have some effect on Earth. Another poster pointed out it was too far away to boil away the Mediterranean, but it is not too far away to damage or completely destroy the ozone layer.
This also got a 'so what? The extra UV still won't dry out the mediterranean'.
But it can affect the climate drastically; IIRC the ice ages were periods of very low ozone. The last ice age dropped sea levels something like 120m. Not enough to drop below the straight of Gibraltar... but getting closer.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:

I think Cueball heard it, too, he's clasped his hands to his mouth.

He HAS just basically been told "Everyone in the world you had ever met before yesterday (except for Megan) is either dead or a dead man walking. Sorry."
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Swein wrote:The path of Cuegan on Rosettas map overlaid on Google Maps...
Spoiler:

A possible escape route for their folks in blue ... if they don't stop at some nearby hill to see what happens. :?

I haven't learned that redundant spoiler technology, so I guess this one can't be quoted...

FTFY :)

Edit: Spoilered because everybody below keeps reposting the same image.
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

How do we know where on the shore they were?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:WE ARE (TEACHERS)(LEARNERS)(SCIENTSTS)
THIS FORTRESS SWARMS WITH (TEACHERS)(LEARNERS)(SCIENTISTS)
AND I AM THEIR LEADER (RULER)

I guess that means the words for teacher, student and scientist are the same in Beanish? Interesting, it says a lot about their culture if they don't make a distinction between them.

Romanian does that. The Romanian word for Water is 5 letters long and the final letter has an accent: de apă
The word for hello is 4 letters and has an accent at the end: Bună

Anyone with a bit more language skills want to take a crack at it?

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Molpy up (who needs comas? It's time to watch the British Open!)
Spoiler:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Although it doesn't help the language question, I will point out that the 10,000 time gap isn't quite the relevant time gap. Languages have become more and more stable as technology has progressed. Absent any calamity, I would expect the languages of the future to be close enough to modern day languages to be quite recognizable. Linguistic drift is much more prevalent in the absence of mass media, and global communication. More important is the time frame from when modern technology was lost. Obviously, we have no clue whatsoever about this, but at least it means we shouldn't assume that the language has changed significantly. My own opinion is that it's going to be impossible to crack the language if it isn't based around some current language. My parents work for an organization that learns languages from scratch in remote tribal locations, and it takes a linguist years of living among a people to learn the language effectively enough to translate it.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If anything, the rapid advance of technology has accelerated the processes of new word creation and old word obsolescence, so I think the opposite might be true. Take a book or a song or a movie from today and compare it to one from 20 or 30 years ago, for instance, and there's a noticeable difference in vocabulary. Is there real evidence that languages are becoming more stable, or are you just speculating? Even if language evolution has slowed down, it would have to slow down a lot for us to have a chance of relating Beanish to a current language. Even a tenfold change in rate of evolution might not be enough, as our language today would be complete gibberish to anyone living in the year 1013.

ETA: I do think GLR will make it possible to decipher Beanish, though. He's very seaish in a does-what-it-wants kind of way.

It's been a long time since I read this, but it wasn't my idea originally. My understanding is that technology is adding a lot of new vocabulary, but it is language structure, spelling, pronunciation, grammar that is slowing down its rate of change. I wasn't trying to imply languages haven't changed here in the OTC, but to point out that comparing the changes to the changes from the last 10,000 years is inappropriate, since the changing of languages is not a constant thing, and modern technology will have an affect on that. I do agree that Randall is likely to make it possible to decipher, and still think we should be looking for what the language is based on. I'm not even close to convinced that it is a completely contrived language. Also, I don't think language changes back to 1013 is far enough to make language gibberish. The King James Bible from 1611 is completely readable, and the Canterbury Tales written in Old English dating to approximately 1000 years ago is strange to read, but is nowhere close to gibberish:

"WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote..."

When that April with his showers soft, the drought of March has pierced to the root

I'm not completely convinced that language structure, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar are changing more slowly as technology advances. I could be totally wrong, but my intuition is that when the world is changing rapidly as it is now, languages should also tend to change at a relatively fast pace. I don't think technology has caused people to adhere more strongly to grammatical norms; if anything, the internet is a place where people feel free to express themselves with less attention to proper structure and grammar than in the written or the spoken.

Also, I know I'm picking nits here, but the Canterbury tales are Middle English, not quite 1000 years old (more like 650), and while they're easily decipherable when written in modern English characters, old manuscripts are much more challenging:

Spoiler:

The Beowulf manuscript, from roughly 1000 years ago, is pretty much gibberish:

Spoiler:
Last edited by Charm Quark on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:How do we know where on the shore they were?

The river with the dotted line seems to represent a river that dries out before it reaches to see, they mentioned that river as their river, so it's a reasonable assumption that their sandcastle was on the beach just downhill from that river.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Sure it can :)
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

How do we know where on the shore they were?

They lived by the riverish river that only sometimes reached the sea. That should be the one I placed the tent by.

[edit] Oops! lots of redundant postings here. Sorry for that! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Swein on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:How do we know where on the shore they were?

Well, we can assume they were pretty close to the bed of their river...
Go Minim go!

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:

I'm sure someone's ottified it already, but:

"...therefore never send to know for whom the bell ONGs; it ONGs for thee"?

The rest of it is perfectly relevant, too.

(Long-delayed ketchup post: nowhere near enough time to pay homage to even a fraction of the wonderful creativity and ingenuity in the OTT, let alone the astounding OTC, but as always, it's been an immense pleasure lurking and following along).

(Edited for more authoritative Donne source).
Last edited by partingLance on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
ttscp wrote:Good catch. How did you even see that?
Geekwagon doesn't show any difference from the first frame the windows stabilized:
http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=2920&framediff=2863

Uhm, on my screen it DOES show the change of the "eyes" pretty clearly...?

That's what I get for believing my tablet browser (Firefox on Nexus). I see them now (Firefox on Windows). They appeared in G2906, M2902, along with the map.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Geekwagon doesn't show any difference from the first frame the windows stabilized:

That's what I get for believing my tablet browser (Firefox on Nexus). I see them now (Firefox on Windows). They appeared in G2906, M2902, along with the map.

What does the M stand for?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Prediction: something along the lines of

Cuegan: days, starting from now? Or from when?
Rosetta: We cannot say. It (garbled) rapidly (garbled) any time. (garbled) in the hills.
Cuegan: We have to save them. Will you help us.
Rosetta: It's too late.
Cuegan: Not if we start now. We can build a raft when we get to the new shore. My people know about rafts.
Rosetta: It's too dangerous.
Cuegan: Don't be a chirpin' mustard! Molpy up!

and thus begins the next epic phase of Time.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

capnbuckle wrote:Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

There was talk of rafts.

I think maybe the fact that the hill people don't like the Cueganites could work n the Cueganites' favour; the Cueganites might avoid those nearby hills and head for even higher ground farther away. But then perhaps they'll go back on rafts to save the Hill people when they see what's happening to them, because they're nice people and the dislike is not reciprocal.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Prediction: something along the lines of

Rosetta: We cannot say. It (garbled) rapidly (garbled) it willany time. (garbled) in the hills.
Cuegan: Not if we start now. We can build a raft when we get to the new shore. My people know about rafts.

Jose

This could also explain how the storyline can get back to a simpler and more sustainable (for GLR) pace: Cuegan venture off on their own back into the basin. It will be interesting to see how the return journey is portrayed; I don't think any of us could stand to Wait for another month and a half as they scurry back.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:
Spoiler:
ttscp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

mscha: http://xkcd.mscha.org

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
ucim wrote:Prediction: something along the lines of

Rosetta: We cannot say. It (garbled) rapidly (garbled) it willany time. (garbled) in the hills.

Jose

This could also explain how the storyline can get back to a simpler and more sustainable (for GLR) pace: Cuegan venture off on their own back into the basin. It will be interesting to see how the return journey is portrayed; I don't think any of us could stand to Wait for another month and a half as they scurry back.

Oh? Would you have guessed back in March that you'd be willing to wait around for 2 or 3 months while Cuegan climb a single mountain? I think Time hints at what people are willing to Wait through or for...

Also, I thought we established that Time would run for 5 years... http://xkcd.com/1205/
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
capnbuckle wrote:Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

There was talk of rafts.

I think maybe the fact that the hill people don't like the Cueganites could work n the Cueganites' favour; the Cueganites might avoid those nearby hills and head for even higher ground farther away. But then perhaps they'll go back on rafts to save the Hill people when they see what's happening to them, because they're nice people and the dislike is not reciprocal.

You're right, I had forgotten about Cuegan talking of not having enough wood for a raft. With rafts, you're somewhat at the mercy of currents... But... If the sea is filling from the west, then currents might be precisely in their favor...at least for a few days while the sea is still rising. But once it stabilizes, there might be some nasty rip currents.

Let's hope the Cueganites are quick to get organized and that there are sufficient materials about, possibly abandoned by the Hill People!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Hi Teddy, welcome to the thread.
The M is for mscha. Here's the link: frame M2902
The frame numbering is different on different viewers (mscha, geekwagon and aubronwood). The reasons are complicated and long winded, but one of the reasons is the meteor sequence starting in frame M2440b, where there were several frames between regular newpix (not on the hourH) and different viewers treated them differently.
There was some discussion as to which was canonical. I decided to use mscha's, here's why: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3404727#p3404727
partially ninja'd by Ximenez, but left for more explanation.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

NickSchweitzer

Postby NickSchweitzer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

I guess I've mostly considered myself a lurker on this forum as I keep track of this comic. You guys have done a ton of work to figure out exactly when and where things are happening...

One possible explanation that I don't think I've seen yet mentioned (and I apologize if it was mentioned)... is that people have tracked the stars into the future. What if the star patterns line up with a time in the distant past? The whole Mediterranean flooding thing strikes me as one of the possible explanations for the story of Noah (or the older version of Gilgamesh and the flood). Some people have theorized that the flood actually did happen, but that it was some sort of natural damn that burst suddenly which drained one entire sea into another, and that over time the story was changed and retold to try to explain what happened.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

Seems like we may put "The Books of Time Vol. 2: Exploring" on the shelf, just aside "The Books of Time Vol. 1: About Sand and Castles".
It is "The Books of Time Vol. 3: Search and Rescue" to be written.

Someone get them a Barrel. It would be a great deal faster. ;-)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

ONG
THE JournEY TO YoUR LAND iS MUcH tOO lONG.(real fullstop here.)
X XXl NOT SEND XXXXX ONLy SEe thEm
ENCIRCLED AND DROWNED BY THE RisinG[RusHING] TIDE [waTER].

Also, the tidal wave! this island will eventually be safe, but not when the water is rushing in!
The island of Mahon is also an escape route for the Cuganites
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I AM HIGHLY DETERMINED TO GET THIS ONG

How did you manage to do that, I sated at the page for a whole minute in the runup to 5:00, I was there, prepared...
Last edited by Lawsome on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:
I'm not completely convinced that language structure, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar are changing more slowly as technology advances. I could be totally wrong, but my intuition is that when the world is changing rapidly as it is now, languages should also tend to change at a relatively fast pace. I don't think technology has caused people to adhere more strongly to grammatical norms; if anything, the internet is a place where people feel free to express themselves with less attention to proper structure and grammar than in the written or the spoken.

Also, I know I'm picking nits here, but the Canterbury tales are Middle English, not quite 1000 years old (more like 650), and while they're easily decipherable when written in modern English characters, old manuscripts are much more challenging:

I'm sure you're right about the Canterbury Tales. I was going on my memory from AP English from 1986. I'm not even sure why I remember the first 14 lines we had to memorize, I haven't exactly used it much in the intervening years. I certainly don't want to kick off a debate here. My main point was that there wasn't a good reason to assume significant linguistic changes, and that, for this language to be decipherable at all, we should probably assume it's close to something that's around now, or we're just going to have to wait for in-text exposition to solve it for us.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

The journey to your land is much too long
[I will] not send [rescuers?] only to see them
encircled and drowned by the rising(rushing) tide(water)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:The journey to your land is much too long

But why can't they send rescuers with a boat?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Boats can't save people from a tidle wave.
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Boats can't save people from a tidle wave.

Sure they can, if you get far enough out to sea first.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:
Spoiler:

How did you manage to do that, I sated at the page for a whole minute in the runup to 5:00, I was there, prepared...

I'm not the fastest! it's been done by hand in 6 seconds. (hint: it takes a bit of setup, and you may not want to wait for the Javascript update)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:
Spoiler:

Middle of the day for most of the Americas and Europe, exciting things going on, you have to be fast!!! Probably have to have the reply already typed up, image tags in place, and hit refresh manually on the OTC page, then hope you can cut and paste the image url and hit submit faster than anyone else. It's a challenging task!!!

ETA: Yeah, what edo said, basically. I don't think you can wait for the Java auto-update at this time of the day.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”