1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lovepirate

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lovepirate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:
devrelm wrote:
Cueball wrote:But—

I can't be the only one on the verge of tears right now...

You're not. :cry:

Me too... :cry:

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

slinches wrote:So what you're saying is that the flow would be massively fast and that, (sl)inching aweigh, The Forty will meet their end being pounded by tons of water? That's heavy! :cry:
It is this flow rate (given the givens given) that would fill the sea in twenty days. A flow rate of a tenth that would fill the sea in half a year. Question is, what would the flow rate be likely to be? That depends on the state of whatever had blocked Gibralter. I don't know if the Beanies know, and they are certainly not going to want to take a chance on a rescue mission for somebody else's family, and the Cuegan cannot do it themselves.

They need the Beanies. Something has to make it personal.

Pikrass wrote:I'm asked to report my position to the Present, and so do I. Though it's quite a strange place for a beacon, don't you think? Right there, alone in the middle of NP 1116...
It originally stood proudly at the top of the mountain, but the sea of posts has risen. The world you once knew is ending. Soon even this Beacon Beta will be underwater.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

Once again I must express my awe for how Rosetta's dialogue is visualised.

The giant "RULER" ghosting behind the words a few newpix back said something interesting, while the difference between "grateful" and "thankful" here is pretty delicious as well.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
nerdsniped wrote:
ucim wrote:Prediction: something along the lines of

Cuegan: days, starting from now? Or from when?
Rosetta: We cannot say. It (garbled) rapidly (garbled) it willany time. (garbled) in the hills.
Cuegan: We have to save them. Will you help us.
Rosetta: It's too late.
Cuegan: Not if we start now. We can build a raft when we get to the new shore. My people know about rafts.
Rosetta: It's too dangerous.
Cuegan: Don't be a chirpin' mustard! Molpy up!

and thus begins the next epic phase of Time.

Jose

This could also explain how the storyline can get back to a simpler and more sustainable (for GLR) pace: Cuegan venture off on their own back into the basin. It will be interesting to see how the return journey is portrayed; I don't think any of us could stand to Wait for another month and a half as they scurry back.

Oh? Would you have guessed back in March that you'd be willing to wait around for 2 or 3 months while Cuegan climb a single mountain? I think Time hints at what people are willing to Wait through or for...

Also, I thought we established that Time would run for 5 years... http://xkcd.com/1205/

Sure, in the end we will just have to Wait and see. But I'll make some predictions:

1. We believe it's currently evening in-comic, yes? So, Megan and Cueball won't leave immediately, but *will* leave at daybreak, in search of their tribemates. No one will accompany them (but they will be given supplies, including some sort of map).

2. They will eventually reunite with their group, with at least the majority still surviving (including both Megan and Cueball, as well as LaPetite).

3. It will take between two and four outside weeks before they encounter the first member of their group.

4. The new journey will not be a simple "rewind" of their path from the sandcastles to the Castle. Either they'll set off immediately on a new course (felt to be more direct / faster), or within one outside week they'll have to change course because of the rising sea level.

5. Either way, within an outside week, something "different" will happen. The obvious possibility is that they'll directly encounter the rising sea level, but it seems a bit problematic for them to encounter it early in the return journey if they're to have any hope of achieving their goal. Perhaps we're about to have another Time jump (as is presumed to have happened during the Fading)?

Open question: what, if anything, are they going to do about the possibility of another Lucky attack on the return journey?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I think there's clearly going to be more going on than just: wall of water, dead Cuegenite tribe, moving on. Call it ... the principle of Chekov's La Petite. I don't think La Petite was a Cuegenite, and I think she's taken action in the intervening time frame.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:
ucim wrote:And thus the shippers get their due.

Shippers? There are about, 9 characters in this whole thing. Three of whom are practically identical.

I think Jose was talking about the Cuegan shippers. I'm a shipper, but I believe they are already in a relationship and not brother-sister.

On another note: dramatically, I would have Cuegan attempt some rescue or otherwise find some way to save their tribe (not to be confused with the Tribe, that is our Tribe of the OTT). I realize that I'm sabotaging my own end of time prediction, here, in favor of Jose's epic view of the OTC, but I just can't deal with wiping out an entire tribe.

Jose, what do you think?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:
Cueball wrote:But—

I can't be the only one on the verge of tears right now...

You're most definitely not. :cry:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Open question: what, if anything, are they going to do about the possibility of another Lucky attack on the return journey?

It's unusual for that big cat to have attacked them in the first place, right?

The attack was probably caused by:
A) Just bad luck, in which case they probably won't be attacked again
B) Famine, in which case they probably will be attacked again

Hmm, that didn't help much.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Open question: what, if anything, are they going to do about the possibility of another Lucky attack on the return journey?

They certainly seem to have felt it was unusual. Two more possibilities: it's unusual where they came from, but less unusual in the region they've now reached. Or, the rising sea is disturbing things somehow. (Seems a bit premature for the latter, though.)

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

The Beanies may have more effective weapons against an attacking raptorcat that they would share with our heroes.

HES

Re: A Flood... of Questions

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:So... many... questions... (HES should be happy)

Well, I'm confident that this isn't going to end any time soon, so yeah, this is one happy hamster

As for Cuegan, the poor sticks :( It really was lucky that Lucky came along
He/Him/His Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
slinches wrote:
ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at a conservative maximum bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). Ok, I forget how to calculate flow rate :oops: be right back...
Let's make the bi-sectional area 10 km2, so every day a slug1 of water 10,000 km long by 10 km2 in cross-sectional area would pass through it.

At 25 hours/day, that's 400 km/hr flow rate. Faster than a bullet train. Faster than most prop planes. Not faster than a speeding bullet, but more powerful than a locomotive. Able to completely erase tall buildings and the ground they used to stand on.

Prepare to say 'ouch'.

Jose
1A slug, not a slug. Not a slug either.

So what you're saying is that the flow would be massively fast and that, (sl)inching aweigh, The Forty will meet their end being pounded by tons of water? That's heavy! :cry:

Well, it wouldn't be that fast out where they are, it would be much slower, this is just the choke point at Gibraltar.

The question then becomes, how deep would the ocean have to be at the opening of the straight of Gibraltar to make water flow that fast? Would a sea level at or close to our current level even have the pressure to create that kind of flow?

True, but being realistic wouldn't have provided as many opportunities for bad puns. :mrgreen:

Even the 400km/hr estimate at the straight seems a bit fast to me. That's 100m/s which is over half of the ideal velocity of a siphon assuming that the difference in sea levels is 2km. I think the calculations are going wrong with the duration. I tend to think "days" could be anything up to a few months rather than the assumed fifteen days since that unit was chosen for emphasis against Megball's postulated "years".

Oh no, I've poped myself again. Decree for those who deign to follow such things: More bad1 puns!

1Not bag!
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:On another note: dramatically, I would have Cuegan attempt some rescue or otherwise find some way to save their tribe (not to be confused with the Tribe, that is our Tribe of the OTT). I realize that I'm sabotaging my own end of time prediction, here, in favor of Jose's epic view of the OTC, but I just can't deal with wiping out an entire tribe.

Jose, what do you think?

Absolutely.

But they need and will attempt to procure the Beanies' aid. They cannot do it alone. The best they could do alone is to run hundreds of km and say "The water is coming! The water is coming! Run this way!" Even if they save the tribe, there's not much story there.

The Beanies have much greater understanding of the world, and much more useful technology (inferred, but from what we've seen so far). Involving the Beanies in the next phase introduces many many more hooks for complications, drama, conflict, tragic misunderstanding, heroic sacrifice, massive armies... in short, there's much more story here.

The Cuegan have to appeal to something in Rosetta that makes their plight personal to her.

This is where heroes are made. This is the turning point. This is where the die will be cast.

devrelm is not alone. Rosetta however needs to shed these tears, and the Cuegan must find a way for her to see this.

slinches wrote:True, but being realistic wouldn't have provided as many opportunities for bad puns. :mrgreen:
Yanno, I really ought to slug you for that! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

I'll just note that while Hairdo is more educated than Cuegan, she still has the capability to be wrong. 15 days does seem awfully short, especially given the relatively modest sea-level rise that we saw after their journey (and in line with what Megan thought). Their calculations could just be plain wrong, and it might take, say, 30 days instead of 15.

And! The 40 live on the edge of the sea. It's not inconceivable that they have boats already (to fish, perhaps?) that they could retreat to.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Cuegan: We aren't going to just sit here. *stands and starts to leave the castle*
Hairdo: There is nothing you can do.
Cuegan: We have to try.

*Down the road a ways Cuegan is intercepted by Hairdo and a group of Beanies on a hovercraft.
Hairdo: Alright, lets do this thing.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

nsub1 wrote:I'll just note that while Hairdo is more educated than Cuegan, she still has the capability to be wrong. 15 days does seem awfully short, especially given the relatively modest sea-level rise that we saw after their journey (and in line with what Megan thought). Their calculations could just be plain wrong, and it might take, say, 30 days instead of 15.

And! The 40 live on the edge of the sea. It's not inconceivable that they have boats already (to fish, perhaps?) that they could retreat to.
It reminds me of a scene in "Marooned", where the oxygen is running out, we see the dial go to zero while they are still up there but not quite rescued, Houston says something to the effect of "we note that your oxygen level has gone to zero" and the astronaut replies "I'm breathing something!"

I guess that dial had a little bit of dramatic inaccuracy.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

nsub1 wrote:I'll just note that while Hairdo is more educated than Cuegan, she still has the capability to be wrong. 15 days does seem awfully short, especially given the relatively modest sea-level rise that we saw after their journey (and in line with what Megan thought). Their calculations could just be plain wrong, and it might take, say, 30 days instead of 15.

The dam has not collapsed yet. The calculations are for after it does. Until that point it is leaking relatively slowly.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
slinches wrote:
ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at a conservative maximum bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). Ok, I forget how to calculate flow rate :oops: be right back...
Let's make the bi-sectional area 10 km2, so every day a slug1 of water 10,000 km long by 10 km2 in cross-sectional area would pass through it.

At 25 hours/day, that's 400 km/hr flow rate. Faster than a bullet train. Faster than most prop planes. Not faster than a speeding bullet, but more powerful than a locomotive. Able to completely erase tall buildings and the ground they used to stand on.

Prepare to say 'ouch'.

Jose
1A slug, not a slug. Not a slug either.

So what you're saying is that the flow would be massively fast and that, (sl)inching aweigh, The Forty will meet their end being pounded by tons of water? That's heavy! :cry:

Well, it wouldn't be that fast out where they are, it would be much slower, this is just the choke point at Gibraltar.

The question then becomes, how deep would the ocean have to be at the opening of the straight of Gibraltar to make water flow that fast? Would a sea level at or close to our current level even have the pressure to create that kind of flow?

True, but being realistic wouldn't have provided as many opportunities for bad puns. :mrgreen:

Even the 400km/hr estimate at the straight seems a bit fast to me. That's 100m/s which is over half of the ideal velocity of a siphon assuming that the difference in sea levels is 2km. I think the calculations are going wrong with the duration. I tend to think "days" could be anything up to a few months rather than the assumed fifteen days since that unit was chosen for emphasis against Megball's postulated "years".

Ok, but even 30 days should be plenty of time for them to escape, right? If it's really hopeless it would have to be closer to between 10 and 20 days. With a couple months they could easily walk back down to the shore, find them, tell them it isn't safe in the hills, and get them back out to France with days and days to spare...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

nsub1 wrote:And! The 40 live on the edge of the sea. It's not inconceivable that they have boats already (to fish, perhaps?) that they could retreat to.

Well, perhaps, but:
Megan wrote:Not a lot of us by the shore this time of year. A few kids, maybe.

Is fishing seasonal? Or perhaps the sea is too salty for fish?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
nsub1 wrote:And! The 40 live on the edge of the sea. It's not inconceivable that they have boats already (to fish, perhaps?) that they could retreat to.

Well, perhaps, but:
Megan wrote:Not a lot of us by the shore this time of year. A few kids, maybe.

Is fishing seasonal? Or perhaps the sea is too salty for fish?

I assume the Dead Sea is called "dead" because there are no fish? If so, then it would be unlikely fish could survive in the Mediterranean.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Ketched up... AHHH ALL SO EXCITING. Not going to reply to anything, just wanted to read stuff this time.

Yes Megball, be VERY grateful you left when you did! And to think you thought about turning back... I always thought that the "Fluttermolpy Discussion" was kinda of an ironic thing like "Alright, let's carry on" - and then they get attacked by Lucky, so it was actually a bad idea. But in hindsight, it was DEFINITELY a good idea! And in hindsight even Lucky's attack was a good thing. It spurred them on to get to the top and find people.

And I'm still holding on to some hope that our tribe has surivived, or at least some of them. Not least because the LaPetite Chekhov's gun remains unfired... just what WAS she dragging at the end of the fading there? I'm sure we'll still get an answer to that. Randall wouldn't have included such a weird thing otherwise.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Ketchup photomanip:

Spoiler:
BSG-Time.png

I didn't see anyone give you the proper credit for this. This is AWESOME!
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:So... The flooding occurred after this frame?

I realize that in the previous frames Cueball said the "thing" looked like it held "something", so there probably wasn't a telescope in the tower, only a place to set a telescope. So, they couldn't see very far, but wouldn't they have been able to see far enough to realize the sea was much closer than it should have been? That it covered land they had traversed?

Not likely: at M2600 (G2605), it's pretty safe to say that Cuegan, and the first (intact) Bilby tower are right at the edge of the continental shelf. This puts them at 2 km elevation, over 200 km north of their home.

An online "distance to horizon" calculator1 estimates the horizon to be ~160 km away... at least 40 km short.

Even if the see had encroached further than that, then there is visibility2:

"In extremely clean air in Arctic or mountainous areas, the visibility can be up to 70 kilometres (43 mi) to 100 kilometres (62 mi). However, visibility is often reduced somewhat by air pollution and high humidity."

Given the temperature estimates and such, you probably will have considerable thermal eddy effects at the extreme limits of visibility, so I would say very unlikely for them to have been able to see the coast...old or new.

1 http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visibility#Definition

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

*Starts playing a sad sONG*

EDIT: YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Something tells me that the lady is related to the Starks...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

And now "Time - Wait For It" makes even more sense!
Dracomax wrote:Something tells me that the lady is related to the Starks...

Heh.... Water is coming.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:*Starts playing a sad sONG*

EDIT: YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

Awesome, Lawsome!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Nice job, Lawsome, I figured your technique would progress enough, you'd get one eventually. For those still finding it hard to read Rosetta's speech:

You must say your goodbyes from here.
You cannot go back down (return) into the abyss
For you have walked too far
And now there is no more time to walk.
The ocean (sea) is coming (here)

Echousb

Postby Echousb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Hairdo starts speaking Cueballish quite well !

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

You must say your goodbyes from here.
You cannot go back down into the abyss.

For you have walked too far
and now there is no more time to walk.

The ocean is coming.

ETA: She is very clear in saying that "Your friends, family, and everyone you knew are dead." Also, we now see friendlyness from Hairdo to Cueball.

Prediction: Hairdo will try to "comfort" Cueball :wink: Megan will then kill Hairdo in a fit of jealous rage. The Beanies will then stake Cuegan to the ground. The rising sea will drown Cuegan. Thus ends Time.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

It's funny.... right back at the beginning of Time, when we all thought Sinister Thoughts about Morbid Conclusions, and every changing pixel seemed like the herald of Doom - for a while, in retrospect, that looked really silly, and OF COURSE the castle-building was just some fun to start us off before the main adventure began... and now, watching those earlier frames again is really poignant. The ocean is coming.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Cut to the baobabs halfway drowned with water.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

"Now there is no more Time"? :shock:
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Theory: Cuegan almost certainly can't get back to the tribe in time by foot, even if they could there is definitely no way the whole tribe could be transported up the mountain in time. A boat wouldn't work either, if one could somehow be brought down in time it wouldn't survive the deluge from the rising sea. But even with land and sea escapes ruled out, one route still remains; The sky. Thus Time goes on.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Would you guys agree that Rosetta is shaking the rust off and speaking noticeably more clearly now?

Is that a typical phenomenon when going back to speaking a language you haven't used in a few years? I mean, I'd imagine so. It probably starts to come back to you, especially little techniques you might use to help keep your sentences within the realm of words that you are proficient with, instead of accidentally straying into vocab/grammar you don't know so well.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Qalyar wrote:Cueballia wouldn't be as hot at the Wikipedia article suggests for the "bottom" of a dry Mediterranean basin. The math for that temperature prediction is based on adiabatic heating -- temperatures rise as elevation decreases. But the OTC doesn't take place in a completely dry basin; Cueball's sea fills the Balearic Abyssal Plain, which includes (by a large margin!) the deepest reaches of the western Mediterranean. Weather conditions in summer along the shore would be oppressive by our standards, but probably not the lethal temperatures that would be found at the bottom of that sea were it to evaporate.

I've been thinking about this. Yes, you are right and they aren't at the bottom of the well, but pretty far down, living in something like a parabolic oven with no outlet. Think death valley to the max and then some. So maybe only 55C or 60 on hot days. So adiabatic heating is less, but reflective more (salt pan).

This is my biggest issue with the story thus far. We're missing something important! Would we recognize Megball as human?

One significant unresolved mystery: why were Cugan so afraid of the Riversmall? They can swim in the Seabig, and they drank from the river so it isn't toxic. Cueball asks something like "I woder whether it would even be possible to swim" in the river - a very strange thing to say. Are Megball's people so adapted to the salinity and temperature that they can't swim in freshwater (though they can drink it) because they're denser than 1?

It's nice to have an unresolved mystery!

slinches wrote:True, but being realistic wouldn't have provided as many opportunities for bad puns. :mrgreen:

Oh no, I've poped myself again. Decree for those who deign to follow such things: More bad1 puns!
1Not bag!

The Wikipedia page on the last time the Med flodded said something about a 300 kph water flow, so that's not that far off IMO. The flash flood wave front wouldn't be survivable, I don't think, unless you specifically built both a boat and a breakwater with it in mind.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Would you guys agree that Rosetta is shaking the rust off and speaking noticeably more clearly now?

Yep. I haven't spoken French in any serious way for a couple of decades, but an hour or two of needing to communicate would likely get it working again. A bit, anyway.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:I think there's clearly going to be more going on than just: wall of water, dead Cuegenite tribe, moving on. Call it ... the principle of Chekov's La Petite. I don't think La Petite was a Cuegenite, and I think she's taken action in the intervening time frame.

Actually, La Petite left town early, since she was committed to being a bridesmaid at a wedding in The Hills. This wedding joins two families and ends the eons-old feud between the Hills People and the Cueganites, with the side benefit of saving La Petite's life.

Any resemblance between La Petite's story and that of BlitzGirl is intentionally coincidental.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Theory: Cuegan almost certainly can't get back to the tribe in time by foot, even if they could there is definitely no way the whole tribe could be transported up the mountain in time. A boat wouldn't work either, if one could somehow be brought down in time it wouldn't survive the deluge from the rising sea. But even with land and sea escapes ruled out, one route still remains; The sky. Thus Time goes on.

I return to my prediction from half a mip ago that Cuegan hang glide down the mountain!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”