1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tatiana

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Tatiana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Here's something that is heartening when thinking about the fate of the Cuegan 40. In the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Sea, a small group of about 50 stone age people survived completely intact because they picked up their babies and baskets and climbed to higher ground at the first sign of danger. I remember thinking how strange it was that we with our instant communications and industrial technology were devastated by this event while this very low-tech culture who had lived there a long time were barely bothered by it. In fact, they threw spears at the helicopter that came to check on them a week or two later. Maybe Cuegan's 40 are like those people.

"Anthropologists had initially expected the aboriginal population of the Andaman Islands to be badly affected by the tsunami and even feared the already depopulated Onge tribe could have been wiped out. Many of the aboriginal tribes evacuated and suffered fewer casualties. Oral traditions developed from previous earthquakes helped the aboriginal tribes escape the tsunami. For example, the folklore of the Onges talks of "huge shaking of ground followed by high wall of water". Almost all of the Onge people seemed to have survived the tsunami." (from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_India ... nd_tsunami)

So, obviously there won't be any oral tradition remaining about an event that hasn't happened in 5.5 million years, but we can at least hope that Cuegan's 40 live lightly enough and close enough to the land and sea and natural world that they would see that something unprecedented was happening, and retreat to safety in time.
Last edited by Tatiana on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

The thing that really strikes me about that last frame are the grayed-out watercolor words, SEA HERE. Somehow, that really brings it home. The sea IS about to be here.

(But I still hope Cueball can leave Megan to recover from the Lucky-attack, borrow a bicycle from the Tour de Francers, and ride back to warn the others...)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
<snip>

Ok, but even 30 days should be plenty of time for them to escape, right? If it's really hopeless it would have to be closer to between 10 and 20 days. With a couple months they could easily walk back down to the shore, find them, tell them it isn't safe in the hills, and get them back out to France with days and days to spare...

Yes, but only if you assume the fill rate is constant which isn't very realistic. The rate could be relatively flat once the gorge is cut down, but should drop off substantially as the levels near equilibrium, so it could be half or 3/4 full in a much shorter time than the total filling time. If the total time is 30 days, they may only have 10-15 to escape and that's if they realize what's going on immediately. No matter how many days "days" is, the most deadly part of the equation is ignorance. Unless La Petite somehow knew about the flood immediately after Cuegan left it seems likely The Forty are stranded on high ground that isn't high enough. :cry:
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I realize that in the previous frames Cueball said the "thing" looked like it held "something", so there probably wasn't a telescope in the tower, only a place to set a telescope. So, they couldn't see very far, but wouldn't they have been able to see far enough to realize the sea was much closer than it should have been? That it covered land they had traversed?

not likely:
Go Minim go!

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Here's something that is heartening when thinking about the fate of the Cuegan 40. In the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Sea, a small group of about 50 stone age people survived completely intact because they picked up their babies and baskets and climbed to higher ground at the first sign of danger. I remember thinking how strange it was that we with our instant communications and industrial technology were devastated by this event while this very low-tech culture who had lived there a long time were barely bothered by it. In fact, they threw spears at the helicopter that came to check on them a week or two later. Maybe Cuegan's 40 are like those people.

What would they recognize as a sign of danger? Maybe they did not place the same importance on the rising sea as Cuegan, which would be why Cuegan had to leave without the 40.
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
<snip>

Ok, but even 30 days should be plenty of time for them to escape, right? If it's really hopeless it would have to be closer to between 10 and 20 days. With a couple months they could easily walk back down to the shore, find them, tell them it isn't safe in the hills, and get them back out to France with days and days to spare...

Yes, but only if you assume the fill rate is constant which isn't very realistic. The rate could be relatively flat once the gorge is cut down, but should drop off substantially as the levels near equilibrium, so it could be half or 3/4 full in a much shorter time than the total filling time. If the total time is 30 days, they may only have 10-15 to escape and that's if they realize what's going on immediately. No matter how many days "days" is, the most deadly part of the equation is ignorance. Unless La Petite somehow knew about the flood immediately after Cuegan left it seems likely The Forty are stranded on high ground that isn't high enough. :cry:

That's actually a really good point... so even taking our 20 day predictions for rate of flow it would have to be initially more than twice what we predicted in order for the AVERAGE flow rate to be ~400 km/hr. Now we are talking some truly absurd water speeds...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:*Starts playing a sad sONG*

Darn, you can't print that on a T-shirt without people prompting to say

(1) "Gosh, you should return it, the print is totally messed up."
(2) "Besides, it's 'winter', not 'the ocean', silly."
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

lgw wrote:One significant unresolved mystery: why were Cugan so afraid of the Riversmall? They can swim in the Seabig, and they drank from the river so it isn't toxic. Cueball asks something like "I woder whether it would even be possible to swim" in the river - a very strange thing to say. Are Megball's people so adapted to the salinity and temperature that they can't swim in freshwater (though they can drink it) because they're denser than 1?

Their sea is probably comparable to the dead sea in salinity: Pretty much as much salt/water as possible. We didn't see them swimming in the beginning, because they were just lying on the water. It is quite a bit harder to swim in a river, where you have a current and don't just float on top.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Once cuegan set off on their travels they had limited view of the sea, and may not have realised the severity of the rising (instead having simple curiosity). For the forty, the danger may have become apparent and they could have moved to higher ground. However, that higher ground may well have been the nearby hills that will still be flooded.

My point is, the cuegan forty are not going to simply sit by while the water approaches. Who knows what they've been up to.
He/Him/His Image

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Blind-posting...

jjjdavidson wrote:Blindposting because I've got to get some coma time in, but I really want to get these graphs out.

Post rate by time of day for the sixteen users who've given me permission to graph their data (and for me). User by user, these graphs show how a user's post rate varies from average throughout the hours of the day. I've added my own comments for each graph. PNG versions for the SVG-handicapped.

jjj's chartpage wrote:By this chart, akacat has an admirable ability to actually leave the One True Thread for extended periods. akacat shows no posts at all between 11pm and 6am. From this I'd guess that akacat is in an American time zone, and actually sleeps at night.

Thank you for creating these! I wasn't too surprised to see that there are noticeable spikes when I'm posting immediately before work, at lunch and immediately after work. With the lunch stretching significantly to accommodate the fact that I don't always get to do lunch at my usual time. And you're completely correct, I'm US east coast, and I tend to molpy-down whether I want to or not between ~midnight and 6am.
Last edited by akacat on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Megan looks so sad in the last newpic. :cry: This is so tragic, but at least we know the comic will only go forward from here, and they won't be returning back to their home. I admit, even as sad as it is, I like that there won't be any walking back.

@yappobiscuits: saw this today, thought of you! :mrgreen: Bonus: baby ottermolpies

Dracomax wrote:Something tells me that the lady is related to the Starks...

LOL. yappo already said it "Water is coming..."
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Here's something that is heartening when thinking about the fate of the Cuegan 40. In the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Sea, a small group of about 50 stone age people survived completely intact because they picked up their babies and baskets and climbed to higher ground at the first sign of danger. I remember thinking how strange it was that we with our instant communications and industrial technology were devastated by this event while this very low-tech culture who had lived there a long time were barely bothered by it. In fact, they threw spears at the helicopter that came to check on them a week or two later. Maybe Cuegan's 40 are like those people.

If I remember correctly, the explanation given is that they knew the danger and behavior of tsunamis through their oral history, while for modern cultures tsunamis used to be (or even continues to be) a minor curiosity among a wealth of distractions. The Cueganites have never faced a flood like this, or probably even a tsunami, and as mentioned before fleeing to the nearest hill would actually serve to get them killed and killed as the water surrounds them and then rises higher than the hill.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Wild Speculations.
I'd like to caution against making assumptions based on speculation rather than evidence. Some examples:

[speculation]The sea level (Atlantic) has risen and so will flood the island.[/speculation] There is no evidence of this. It might, but it might also have fallen. The beanie queen (Librarian, I say. Librarian) seems pretty sure and seems to have the facts. We also know that the beanies know how to travel and are good enough at it that they have somehow warned a huge area in a relatively short time. They may well have been to (sent runners to) the Atlantic shore.

However, we have little evidence of the total population. From what we have seen it is probably small. Just one campsite (maybe two) and one possible dwelling on their journey. I don't think Cugan have a good idea about what a city is, though they know the word.

[speculation]The Cuegan tribe may have boats for fishing.[/speculation] Unlikely. Their sea is VERY saline. Again, no evidence. They do know about rafts, of course.

[speculation]The Beanies have sophisticated tech.[/speculation] No evidence of this. What they have seems archaic to me. Some telescope tech and knowledge of triangulation. They can build with wood. They can probably work brass, at least. But what tech they have is valuable to them and they take care of it (second tower). People walk. No vehicles. No animal transport that we've seen.

Note that if civilization has collapsed they probably have knowledge (books, maps), but only old tech.

[speculation]The basin will fill fast/slow.[/speculation] It seems to have filled in a few months in the past. Wikipedia has flow rates. Note that even with a fast fill rate and fast rising level, it might not be terribly turbulent away from the inflow itself. Big waterfalls don't have much effect a mile away (water is incompressible). The debris would be limited. More likely rocks and stuff, rather than trees and houses, so would settle quickly.

My own speculation/guess/hope is that at least some of them escape, but we don't know how yet. It is based more on the story-line than what would likely happen IRL, though.

On another topic: the homogenization of language. I'm not sure about the rate of change of individual languages. It has been mentioned here that it is a controversial topic among linguists. But I think it is undeniable that world language has become homogenized. Nearly every educated person in the world speaks English. I travelled alone in Sweden for a week and only met two people who didn't. One was a Sami elder (some say laplanders, but another insult) in his homeland above the Arctic circle. The other, oddly, was a cleric in a populated place. She was around 60 years old, and so probably didn't learn it in school as all kids do today. English is polluting all the world's languages. So it can change a lot, but still stay homogeneous. It WILL stay homogeneous given international commerce and telecommunications. But after collapse, not so much. In a thousand years (more or less??) of collapse with reduced travel and no communication it would likely diverge a lot. Beowulf to Terry Pratchett.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:@yappobiscuits: saw this today, thought of you! :mrgreen: Bonus: baby ottermolpies

Aww, yay! In such sad OTC times, we need some ottermolpies to cheer us up. Also at 1:00 in the video is the most adorable "molpy down" ever :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Oral traditions developed from previous earthquakes helped the aboriginal tribes escape the tsunami. For example, the folklore of the Onges talks of "huge shaking of ground followed by high wall of water". Almost all of the Onge people seemed to have survived the tsunami." (from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_India ... nd_tsunami)
... which is why religion is so important to tribes. The ability to believe what sounds like magical nonsense across many generations without evidence will preserve the tribe when that magical nonsense happens to be true, and is often merely a nuisance when it is false. Natural selection would favor tribes with religion.

Thus speaketh the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction. see... it's all related

slinches wrote: Unless La Petite somehow knew about the flood immediately after Cuegan left it seems likely The Forty are stranded on high ground that isn't high enough. :cry:
It would be high enough for a while. Maybe for just enough time for a heroic Cuegan and transformed Rosetta to risk life, limb, and levity in order to rescue them in a grand and daring adventure.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

HES wrote:Once cuegan set off on their travels they had limited view of the sea, and may not have realised the severity of the rising (instead having simple curiosity). For the forty, the danger may have become apparent and they could have moved to higher ground. However, that higher ground may well have been the nearby hills that will still be flooded.

My point is, the cuegan forty are not going to simply sit by while the water approaches. Who knows what they've been up to.

I'm hoping that the suggestion of The Forty finding refuge on small islands from a page or two ago is correct. If Megball start back now on foot, there's little to no chance (based on Rosetta's warnings) of finding their freinds and leading them all the way past the new shoreline in time. I think they may try anyway and have to turn back, but will eventually need to wait out the flood and then sail out (on a raft?) to pick up the stranded survivors.

ETA: link
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

The breaking of the Gibraltar dam, the movement of the water, the seismic response to petatons of water moving in, all that will not be gentle or steady. Don't think gradual rise of water level, think hundred meter tsunami waves, perhaps dozens of events in a few weeks. The Mediterranean is seismically very complex where the African, Iberian, and Eurasian plates smash together:
Imageclick for larger images

In the comic, not much water has moved so far, so the earthquakes haven't started yet. But when they do, the castle gets shaken to rubble, and the Gibraltar dam gets torn open big time.

Drawing all that mayhem may be challenging for Randall, his style is usually more serene.

P.S. I have not read the last 40 thousand posts, so if this has already been discussed, forgive me.

(edit) P.P.S. Should this comic be nominated for the science fiction Hugo award for 2013? Will it be finished by years end?
Last edited by keithl on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:01 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I realize that in the previous frames Cueball said the "thing" looked like it held "something", so there probably wasn't a telescope in the tower, only a place to set a telescope. So, they couldn't see very far, but wouldn't they have been able to see far enough to realize the sea was much closer than it should have been? That it covered land they had traversed?

not likely:

Was that our clue that the water was already rising rapidly and we missed it? Recall too the frame that showed that the entire castle and the framework they built above it were already submerged.

Is anyone else flashing back to the flood scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

cONGtinue speculatiONG
a_s_h_e_n wrote:new alt-text?!?!?

OMR, it is!

also, 400. penis.
Last edited by fhorn on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
HES wrote:Once cuegan set off on their travels they had limited view of the sea, and may not have realised the severity of the rising (instead having simple curiosity). For the forty, the danger may have become apparent and they could have moved to higher ground. However, that higher ground may well have been the nearby hills that will still be flooded.

I'm hoping that the suggestion of The Forty finding refuge on small islands from a page or two ago is correct. If Megball start back now on foot, there's little to no chance (based on Rosetta's warnings) of finding their freinds and leading them all the way past the new shoreline in time. I think they may try anyway and have to turn back, but will eventually need to wait out the flood and then sail out (on a raft?) to pick up the stranded survivors.

I have trouble imagining 1,000 feet of sea level rise, even after seeing topographical maps of the Med basin. If the Forty started seeing the ocean rise and fled for safety, they'd almost certainly stop as soon as they were 50' up. And they'd quickly be forced to move again, but would probably stop at 100' up. Over and over, they'd pick a height that would seem safe, but within a day or so become the new shoreline. But as soon as they pick a local hilltop, they will be trapped. They will be unable to retreat as their hill becomes and island, and then becomes a sandbar, and finally a piece of underwater geology. Whatever hilltop they chose would probably be viable for no longer than a day or two, at which point they might have miles to swim to the new shoreline.

Their only real hope, without knowing the full extent of the sea level rise, is that the terrain between them and the eventual shoreline has no local peaks, it's always uphill the whole way. And that would seem to be unlikely if they are living below a group of small hills.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Still drowning in ketchup, but a quick shout-out to mikrit for suggesting the Zanclean flood all the way back in April.
Later references came from mathrec in May, Prof. Grumbles in June, and hamjudo in July.

mikrit wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Should we stress the issue about there location a bit more?
Do we know any sea ...

- landlocked or at least as-good-as landlocked
- one well-known river leading in.
- river known to carry different water level
- sea known for different water levels (but not tide)
- sea water salty or at least very untasty (although Cue had had worse)

Actually, I am thinking of the Mediterranean Sea. The Nile ends in a delta; I imagine its could change its course a bit due to sedimentation.
And there was a time when the Mediterranean was rising very rapidly.

Wikipedia wrote:According to a report published by Nature in 2009, scientists think that the Mediterranean Sea was mostly filled during a time period of less than two years, in a major flood (the Zanclean flood) that happened approximately 5.33 million years ago, in which water poured in from the Atlantic Ocean and through the Strait of Gibraltar, at a rate three times the current flow of the Amazon River.

That would mean that Cueball and Megan aren't Homo sapiens but Homo erectus or something. (Well, they are good at erecting sand castles.) Or they could be time-travellers that used a one-use only time machine.

EDIT: fixed ambiguity.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

new alt-text?!?!?
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

hdhale wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

not likely:

Was that our clue that the water was already rising rapidly and we missed it? Recall too the frame that showed that the entire castle and the framework they built above it were already submerged.

Is anyone else flashing back to the flood scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"

Maybe they saw something like
http://manofdepravity.com/wp-content/up ... irage1.jpg

It's quite likely that the giant mediteranian sand desert is hot enough to reflect the sky, like roads on a hot day.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Indeed. ...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

"..."

Are we done Waiting for it!?!?!?

Darn, now we'll need a new slogan to hide in spoilers

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

slinches wrote:

"..."

Once again, Time has ended. It was nice waiting with all of you.

*waves*
Take care of yourselves and have your molpies spade or neutered.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

slinches wrote:

"..."

Now now now, after all those discussions of 0.999... , clearly he's implying that we'll have to wait for Aleph-Null newpix (or maybe Aleph-Null "it" s )
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

More thoughts.

The Cuegan tribe may have river-capable boats, I hadn't thought of that. If the topography north of them is gentle enough they might have an escape by boat.

The rise of the water would possibly be gentle, but relentless. Think of a tidal bore that is 30 feet high, but one day's journey (for the water) wide. Not a few minutes, but several hours. The onrush at the mouth has spread out a hundred miles (??) by the time it reaches them.

keithl makes a great point about seismic effects.

The inflow will be gentle at first, as the opening erodes, then huge, then more gentle as the surface area increases and the difference in levels decreases. I think the Librarian (yes, randalldammit, Librarian), believes we are at the max flow period, say 10-20 meters per day of increase in depth. More if she is right about a "few days" to fill.

And finally. I have no faith that they (their tribe) will just some how "get it" early enough. People just aren't like that. "Well, it'll stop in a bit..." This is the boiling frogs scenario. You always hope for the best. How many peoples have suffered genocide by waiting when they should have fled? Really really bad things don't happen too often so we usually miss the signs (or ignore them) until it is too late. Cugan had no idea of what was coming and no fear. Just curiosity. Serendipity saved them, nothing more.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

I, for one, will continue to ...
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
slinches wrote:

"..."

*waves*

Homonym Alert! Call in the cheap punsters!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Theory: Cuegan almost certainly can't get back to the tribe in time by foot, even if they could there is definitely no way the whole tribe could be transported up the mountain in time. A boat wouldn't work either, if one could somehow be brought down in time it wouldn't survive the deluge from the rising sea. But even with land and sea escapes ruled out, one route still remains; The sky. Thus Time goes on.

I return to my prediction from half a mip ago that Cuegan hang glide down the mountain!

Not hang glide, body wing!!! Wasn't there another recent What If on that? Maybe we should be paying more attention to the What Ifs that have been coming out recently.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

I Waited for it and all I got was...
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

The Alt Text underlines the finality of the bad news Cueball and Megan just received.

Your homeland may still exist, but soon it will be gone - and you never had a chance to take with you what you otherwise would have liked to safe.Your family may still live, but they will die - and you can neither rescue them nor say your farewells. You will be uprooted and alone. Something which leaves even Spock emotionally compromised.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
slinches wrote:

"..."

*waves*

Homonym Alert! Call in the cheap punsters!

But isn't there an embagro on cheap puns?

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

I guess this means we've been waiting for an explanation what all of this is about. Now, either time ends, or all of this was just the beginning.

If he starts using 2-hour newpix now, I'm going to go crazy. Now would be the most effective time to switch.

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

The wall of text of Rosetta isn't the best way to experience the sadness of their lost homes.
But thinking back at frame #881 does:

Spoiler:
Last edited by Montov on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

hdhale wrote:Recall too the frame that showed that the entire castle and the framework they built above it were already submerged.

Did it really? As I recall it, that was merely conjecture. We did see a bucket floating on waves, but that the frames (two of them, IIRC) showed the exact location where Cuegan had previously built the sandcastle and framework was not really established beyond a doubt.

However, as for the replaced alt-text, that really looks like a sign that the end of Time is, indeed, nigh, if not already upon us.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:Their only real hope, without knowing the full extent of the sea level rise, is that the terrain between them and the eventual shoreline has no local peaks, it's always uphill the whole way. And that would seem to be unlikely if they are living below a group of small hills.

However, if they follow the river the whole way and are quick enough, they could be fine. There are no local hilltops on a river. It would be wise to do so anyway, since they need water and it is likely scarce in this entire environment. I think that is the only safe way.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Prediction:

And then maybe Megan comes in for the reach around.

Spoiler:
kissing.png
kissing.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”