1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!

I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I confess, I totally didn't expect that!!

Oh ye of little faith. You didn't think they would disobey GLR, did you? He is their lord more, even, than ours.

@mikrit: RE Librarian. My wife is a librarian, and not an orang. But usually the Librarian is the smartest person in the conversation. Ask any doctoral student.

But yes, when I first introduced the concept I did have the Unseen University in mind. But the Librarian there is wiser than most of the other wizards as has been seen in many of the stories. After all, he refuses to switch back.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Goggalor
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Goggalor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

I'm so excited about all of this! Before I've felt amazed and awed, but for the most part it's been serene, but now I am pumped up about what's going to happen next.

(I am a little bummed about the loss of wait for it, but it's no longer appropriate. RUN. is much more fitting now.)
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

a_s_h_e_n
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote::shock:

They're running. I'm so confused because I thought she told Cuegan that it was far too late to save their family and they'd have to say their goodbyes from here. So why is she telling them to run again? If it's because a tidal wave is coming for their castle, why isn't she running as well?

WHAT IN THE GREAT RANDALL IS GOING ON?

(alt text still says: RUN)


I don't think anyone actually said "RUN," it's just a shared thought between Cueball and Megan (notice how he turns away from Rosetta to look at Megan)
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

KeonSkyfire
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KeonSkyfire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

edo wrote:NOWONG
Image
Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:



Wait how does that work? I thought I beat you. No offence. :D

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Montov wrote:My pre-coma prediction: A few decapix of Cuegan running until they reach the sea with the baobabs halfway under water.
Then Megan will whisper "no". ;(


I'm not even sure they'll even get back to the meowlpy attack shack.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4794
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!

I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Or, this. Something about the whole pause... and runRUN. thing is a little more cartoony than usual...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
NetWeasel
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Oh, and swipe the telescope on your way out...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

KeonSkyfire wrote:
edo wrote:NOWONG
Image
Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:



Wait how does that work? I thought I beat you. No offence. :D

the curse of the EditONG strikes again
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2820
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!

I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Yes indeed! This should do the trick!
I should stop taking any excuse to plug my own music...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:
fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!

I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Or, this. Something about the whole pause... and runRUN. thing is a little more cartoony than usual...

AHAHAHHAHA
thanks, HES, I needed the comic relief.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

rmcurtis
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rmcurtis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Uh, guys, have you noticed the javascript?

No, seriously:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="/s/df5557.js"></script>

I'm pretty sure that's a different filename than before. Something to do with changing alt-text, I assume?


Yes, I think it has been changed. I'm no expert, but it looks like it may have added the ability for the server to trigger a reload of the page, which is the only way to update the title-text, I think.

fhorn wrote:sweet sassy molassy, look at that curtain! Whoosh! Megan just BOLTED!!!


Careful, there, Megan, your leg hasn't healed yet! It's only been two days Inside time since the attack, if I'm not mistaken.

User avatar
edo
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

KeonSkyfire wrote:
edo wrote:NOWONG
Image
Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:



Wait how does that work? I thought I beat you. No offence. :D


I seems that if you edit the post within a minute, it can reshuffle posts that were sent out within that minute.

POPE! Papal decrees: 1)Continue to cheer on M&C
2) I shall conviene a consistory. those present are cardinals. Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread? Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. It's a new era.

RUN!
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Montov wrote:My pre-coma prediction: A few decapix of Cuegan running until they reach the sea with the baobabs halfway under water.
Then Megan will whisper "no". ;(


I'm not even sure they'll even get back to the meowlpy attack shack.

the water won't be THAT high yet! She says it will be days after the blockage breaks which hasn't happened yet. They should get at least as far as the wowtrees, assuming they aren't stopped by the beanies, or is that what you meant?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
akacat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby akacat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

A minor blind-post... I'm only 5 pages behind. I may ketchup yet!

b2bomberkrh wrote:By the way, if there isn't already a term for doing a ketchup starting with the most recent post and working backwards, I guess it could be a puhctek. That looks really strange, though, so maybe it should be a mayo, since we have ketchup and mustard already. Or am I the only who ketchups in this way anyway? I thought about mayoing all the way back to the beginning, but it was a daunting task, and without the joy of future posting, checkpoints, and the joy of new discoveries in the OTC, I just couldn't manage it.

Maybe an up-ketch? I don't think I've seen that suggested.

Zorin_75 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I realize that in the previous frames Cueball said the "thing" looked like it held "something", so there probably wasn't a telescope in the tower, only a place to set a telescope. So, they couldn't see very far, but wouldn't they have been able to see far enough to realize the sea was much closer than it should have been? That it covered land they had traversed?

not likely:
Spoiler:
Image

Oh no... their home may have already been flooded, and they had no idea because they couldn't tell where the horizon was. :(

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

:shock:
Spent the evening retouching and transcribing hairdo's ramblings aka rorschachtestfromhell and now return to this...
OMR! What's going on? Changing Alt text! Cuegan are running! Run Cuegan Run!
Go Minim go!

User avatar
NetWeasel
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

KeonSkyfire wrote:
edo wrote:NOWONG
Spoiler:
Image

Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:
Wait how does that work? I thought I beat you. No offence. :D

Had it happen to me once... Both posts were the same exact second, according to post times. The username later in the alphabet got first.
In my case, the person who got put in front of me was quoting the post that he got in front of...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4794
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Yes indeed! This should do the trick!
I should stop taking any excuse to plug my own music...

You're allowed to plug your own music, so long as it is good. Carry on.
Last edited by HES on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Ximenez
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm UTC
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Wouldn't they go faster with the Beanies' plane?

Image

Spoiler:
plane.jpg

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

rmcurtis wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Uh, guys, have you noticed the javascript?

No, seriously:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="/s/df5557.js"></script>

I'm pretty sure that's a different filename than before. Something to do with changing alt-text, I assume?


Yes, I think it has been changed. I'm no expert, but it looks like it may have added the ability for the server to trigger a reload of the page, which is the only way to update the title-text, I think.

fhorn wrote:sweet sassy molassy, look at that curtain! Whoosh! Megan just BOLTED!!!


Careful, there, Megan, your leg hasn't healed yet! It's only been two days Inside time since the attack, if I'm not mistaken.


Oh dear, you're right, they might be stopping sooner than expected when they realize Megan can't go any further, and perhaps Lucky will have saved their lives yet again as a result...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

lgw
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Speaking of music, "Time" and "Run" are tracks from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. The start of "Time" actually fits the start of Time pretty well IMO:

Spoiler:
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

While Cuegan has a more immediate reason to RUN than realizing they need to find something productive to do with their lives, the "hero's journey" is often a metaphor for accepting adult responsibility anyhow, so I think it fits.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

rmcurtis wrote:Yes, I think it has been changed. I'm no expert, but it looks like it may have added the ability for the server to trigger a reload of the page, which is the only way to update the title-text, I think.

Yes, I think that is right. I noticed at the last newpix that the page fully loaded, not just the frame. It hadn't done that before.

Hello to all of the watchers here. Quite a bunch.

We have had over 400, maybe 500 messages in this thread in the past 17 hours. Blitzers are getting farther and farther behind.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Fictioneer
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm UTC
Location: Downtown Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

I just realized -- MEGAN HAS THE MAP!! Good going, Megan!

User avatar
Rule110
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I confess, I totally didn't expect that!!


I totally did, but I'm surprised by how far they got in one frame!

(A "thank you" would have been nice though.)

Can we tell whether they took the map?
(edit: Fictioneer says yes.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

capnbuckle wrote:http://maroonbeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Mediterranean-Seafloor-1982.jpg

Looking at the Beanie projection, it looks like the Pretty Neat River is flowing down the deep channel just west of the Maures Escarpment, due west of Corsica, atop the Corso-Ligurian Basin. Cuegan walked quite a ways east along the boundary of that basin before reaching the mouth of the Pretty Neat River. This means that the "Hill People" upriver from them likely live in the Félibres Hills or the La Renaixenca Hills, in the southern vicinity of the Rhône Fan.

Those hills are the problem.

They are significantly elevated from the surrounding terrain, and would be the closest, most obvious "higher ground" upon which the Forty might take refuge. Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

Okay, let's look at this again. Megball's people live in tents, but they still have access to quality lumber (both poles and planks) and assorted hardware. Our two seemed quite confident they could build an effective raft for river-crossing, given materials, even though all they brought with them they could easily carry in two bags. They may be nomadic, but they are not primitive.

And if building materials are scarce and valuable, Megball would hardly have abandoned their castle without first dismantling it and salvaging the lumber; they show no sign of being so irresponsible. So we can presume the aforementioned "IKEA" in effect, if not in fact. The Forty have access to building materials; they just choose not to use them for building houses.

(Perhaps they are in fact a lumber camp? The fact that Megan finds trees "neat" doesn't mean she's never seen one at all. Or they could be nomadic scavengers, salvaging the numerous shipwrecks on the Med floor; the planks could even be some sort of artificial material salvaged from the dark past.)

So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

In other words, given enough warning, the outlook for the Forty need not be so bleak as Rosetta makes out. Remember, she knows nothing of them or their capabilities; she didn't even know they existed before Megball arrived.

HES wrote:
fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!
I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Or, this. Something about the whole pause... and runRUN. thing is a little more cartoony than usual...

:) (For the record, Randall has used ... as alt-text before.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Yes! Go! Go, Megball! Rescue your people, or die in the attempt! (i hope it's not the latter but i'm afraid it will be)

And that's not exactly a curtain.


I see they were smart enough to grap their bags on the way out.

And, yes, that's a bead curtain; a curtain made from single strands of beads dangling down. Very popular in the 1970s; apparently again fashionable in the 11,000nds...
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
nerdsniped
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Valarya wrote::shock:

They're running. I'm so confused because I thought she told Cuegan that it was far too late to save their family and they'd have to say their goodbyes from here. So why is she telling them to run again? If it's because a tidal wave is coming for their castle, why isn't she running as well?

WHAT IN THE GREAT RANDALL IS GOING ON?

(alt text still says: RUN)

Rosetta told them it was too late, but they have more invested in this outcome than she does. They're going to try to rescue their tribemates anyway. To have any hope of success, they'll have to... you know.

(If I was feeling mean, I'm sure there's a TVtropes link for this. But that's the last thing we need right now. Also I'd have to open the site myself to find it, and I don't dare...)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

User avatar
higgs-boson
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC
Location: Europe (UTC + 4 newpix)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Just document the Alt Text in the ONG, please. We have to conserve Time. We have to protect history.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

User avatar
b2bomberkrh
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I confess, I totally didn't expect that!!


I totally did, but I'm surprised by how far they got in one frame!

(A "thank you" would have been nice though.)

Can we tell whether they took the map?
(edit: Fictioneer says yes.)


Yes, that captures more of what I meant. I didn't expect them to literally start running full speed. After all, how far do they think they can get on a journey of (what was the last guesstimate I saw, 150 km?) running? Even without a healing leg, they can't get much further than the village at full speed, and they would be wise to get supplies, etc. before just taking off pell mell. I expected them to depart quickly, but not to be literally running.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maletero
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby maletero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Whoa! I step away for a bit and THIS happens!? And here I was, waiting for a happy endingclever footnote name

Does it make me weird that I'm genuinely concerned for their well-being?

clever footnote nameNot that I'm implying that this is THE END.

a_s_h_e_n
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I confess, I totally didn't expect that!!


I totally did, but I'm surprised by how far they got in one frame!

(A "thank you" would have been nice though.)

Can we tell whether they took the map?
(edit: Fictioneer says yes.)


Yes, that captures more of what I meant. I didn't expect them to literally start running full speed. After all, how far do they think they can get on a journey of (what was the last guesstimate I saw, 150 km?) running? Even without a healing leg, they can't get much further than the village at full speed, and they would be wise to get supplies, etc. before just taking off pell mell. I expected them to depart quickly, but not to be literally running.


They both had full bags when they walked in though; I remember discussion here where it was agreed that the Beanies had resupplied Cuegan
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
capnbuckle wrote:http://maroonbeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Mediterranean-Seafloor-1982.jpg

Looking at the Beanie projection, it looks like the Pretty Neat River is flowing down the deep channel just west of the Maures Escarpment, due west of Corsica, atop the Corso-Ligurian Basin. Cuegan walked quite a ways east along the boundary of that basin before reaching the mouth of the Pretty Neat River. This means that the "Hill People" upriver from them likely live in the Félibres Hills or the La Renaixenca Hills, in the southern vicinity of the Rhône Fan.

Those hills are the problem.

They are significantly elevated from the surrounding terrain, and would be the closest, most obvious "higher ground" upon which the Forty might take refuge. Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

Okay, let's look at this again. Megball's people live in tents, but they still have access to quality lumber (both poles and planks) and assorted hardware. Our two seemed quite confident they could build an effective raft for river-crossing, given materials, even though all they brought with them they could easily carry in two bags. They may be nomadic, but they are not primitive.

And if building materials are scarce and valuable, Megball would hardly have abandoned their castle without first dismantling it and salvaging the lumber; they show no sign of being so irresponsible. So we can presume the aforementioned "IKEA" in effect, if not in fact. The Forty have access to building materials; they just choose not to use them for building houses.

(Perhaps they are in fact a lumber camp? The fact that Megan finds trees "neat" doesn't mean she's never seen one at all. Or they could be nomadic scavengers, salvaging the numerous shipwrecks on the Med floor; the planks could even be some sort of artificial material salvaged from the dark past.)

So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

In other words, given enough warning, the outlook for the Forty need not be so bleak as Rosetta makes out. Remember, she knows nothing of them or their capabilities; she didn't even know they existed before Megball arrived.

HES wrote:
fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:GO CUEGAN GO!!
I'M SO EXCITED I EVEN FORGOT I'M A LOYAL "MEGBALL"-ER!

and HERE is where the music really gets dramatic!

Or, this. Something about the whole pause... and runRUN. thing is a little more cartoony than usual...

:) (For the record, Randall has used ... as alt-text before.)


They get the planks and poles from their river, which, because it doesn't reach the sea, dumps anything it carries for their use. They probably don't have hardware. I think they most likely tied their scaffolding together with ropes, which can be pretty sturdy if you know what you're doing, which they do, because they probably make everything out of ropes, driftwood, and some kind of canvas. Because they know how to make complex things out of simple parts they could make a raft.

The outside calls for the wipend... don't let anything happen to Cuegan while I'm gone!
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Qalyar
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Valarya wrote::shock:

They're running. I'm so confused because I thought she told Cuegan that it was far too late to save their family and they'd have to say their goodbyes from here. So why is she telling them to run again? If it's because a tidal wave is coming for their castle, why isn't she running as well?

WHAT IN THE GREAT RANDALL IS GOING ON?

(alt text still says: RUN)

Rosetta told them it was too late, but they have more invested in this outcome than she does. They're going to try to rescue their tribemates anyway. To have any hope of success, they'll have to... you know.

(If I was feeling mean, I'm sure there's a TVtropes link for this. But that's the last thing we need right now. Also I'd have to open the site myself to find it, and I don't dare...)


Clearly, they are trying to avoid the Despair Event Horizon with their efforts to Screw Destiny.

It's also entirely possible that I'm a terrible person. But since, back in the land-grab era of the OTT, I claimed ownership of the Sea, it appears I am that already... :twisted:

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

And what the chirp is this about:
Image

looks far too deliberate for mustard :?
Spoiler:
eyes.gif
Go Minim go!

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote::shock:

They're running. I'm so confused because I thought she told Cuegan that it was far too late to save their family and they'd have to say their goodbyes from here. So why is she telling them to run again? If it's because a tidal wave is coming for their castle, why isn't she running as well?

WHAT IN THE GREAT RANDALL IS GOING ON?

(alt text still says: RUN)

Hairdo isn't telling them to run, they just looked at each other for that "..." phrase and it must have passed as a look between them.

:oops: I was so caught up in the alt-text that I automatically put it into the comic. In my head. :oops: Thanks for the correction.

Montov wrote:My pre-coma prediction: A few decapix of Cuegan running until they reach the sea with the baobabs halfway under water.
Then Megan will whisper "no". ;(

Oh shit... I can see this happening and it's already so heart breaking.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

The problem I see here is that they can't land until the water stops rising (or at least rises only slowly). At 10m per day you just can't do it. The shore is receding so fast. So you need a couple of months of supplies. Water is the big issue. Unless steam bottles know how to desalinate the water. Then it might be possible. If the inflow is faster the shore recedes faster, but you have fewer days until it ends.

BTW, what DID Noah eat during the forty days and forty nights? He had plenty of possibilities, but likely they were ruled out by his instructions.

edited for clarification
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2820
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:And what the chirp is this about:
Spoiler:
Image

looks far too deliberate for mustard :?

The eyes of a giant eagle, come to carry everyone to safety. Because Randall is secretly Tolkien!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

Eutychus
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

I'm going through the early frames with the mscha viewer.

It seems odd their castle so resembles the real one.

And in M1160 they speculate that at least some of their people, especially the kids (eg LaPetite) may have noticed the sea rise. In M1162 they say it would have to get a lot higher before any of the tents got wet. So the settlement is much higher than the shore where they were originally.

I'm also wondering how old Megan and Cueball are. As this unfolds I'm unconsciously ascribing a younger and younger age to them.
Last edited by Eutychus on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Blind-Post NP1065

Postby azule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh My RandONG:

Image

OMR, indeed! Chibi-Megan, Chibi-Cueball and Chibi-Beanies!!!!! I hope someone has done them up like this. Otherwise I will when I get some Time!
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Fictioneer
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm UTC
Location: Downtown Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:And what the chirp is this about:
Image

looks far too deliberate for mustard :?
Spoiler:
eyes.gif


Was that change just on the current frame? (My browser doesn't differentiate the shades enough for me to tell.)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 37 guests