1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SinusPi

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:Clearly, they are trying to avoid the Despair Event Horizon with their efforts to Screw Destiny.

She could have feigned accepting their fate, but gone solo anyway... ;P

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

I haven't been this excited for the hourly ONG since... oh wait, since they spotted the Beanie Bunch, which wasn't too long ago. BUT STILL! This might be the most anticipated ONG for me, yet.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

The problem I see here is that they can't land until the water stops rising (or at least rises only slowly). At 10m per day you just can't do it. The shore is receding so fast. So you need a couple of months of supplies. Water is the big issue. Unless steam bottles know how to desalinate the water. Then it might be possible. If the inflow is faster it recedes faster, but you have fewer days until it ends.

BTW, what DID Noah eat during the forty days and forty nights? He had plenty of possibilities, but likely they were ruled out by his instructions.

I am so not the expert there, but he was never told to bring exactly two of every animal was he - it was more of a minimum? :twisted: Noah at least had a reliable water supply - The Megball Forty not so much.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

I find GLR's faith in us OTTers very special. We've had "Wait for it" for nearly 4 months now and he changes the alt-text knowing that one of his faithful would notice. Sure enough 2 minutes later
a_s_h_e_n wrote:new alt-text?!?!?
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

maletero

Postby maletero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

The problem I see here is that they can't land until the water stops rising (or at least rises only slowly). At 10m per day you just can't do it. The shore is receding so fast. So you need a couple of months of supplies. Water is the big issue. Unless steam bottles know how to desalinate the water. Then it might be possible. If the inflow is faster it recedes faster, but you have fewer days until it ends.

BTW, what DID Noah eat during the forty days and forty nights? He had plenty of possibilities, but likely they were ruled out by his instructions.

I am so not the expert there, but he was never told to bring exactly two of every animal was he - it was more of a minimum? :twisted: Noah at least had a reliable water supply - The Megball Forty not so much.

As I recall, he was actually instructed to bring more (seven?) of the "clean" animals. So maybe they munched on some of those.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:Was that change just on the current frame? (My browser doesn't differentiate the shades enough for me to tell.)

No, it happened at M2901...
Go Minim go!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:And what the chirp is this about:
Spoiler:

looks far too deliberate for mustard :?
Spoiler:
eyes.gif

Was that change just on the current frame? (My browser doesn't differentiate the shades enough for me to tell.)

Those "eyes" have been there since the first frame... I checked. Not sure of the change, tho.

ETA: Spoilering img
Last edited by NetWeasel on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

edo wrote:POPE! Papal decrees: 1)Continue to cheer on M&C
2) I shall conviene a consistory. those present are cardinals. Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread? Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. It's a new era.

RUN!

If papacy is based on verbosity, then BlitzGirl will be permanent pope. I don't mind Blitzgirl being pope quite a lot, but I like the chaos of page-placement-popes better than loquacity-popes.

For what it's worth.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

edo wrote:Papal decrees: 1)Continue to cheer on M&C
Spoiler:
It's ALL rhelated.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

CameronCat

Popishness

Postby CameronCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Edo wrote:
Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread? Thoughts?

I vote absolutely NOT! It would only add to the clutter as everyone tries to increase their post numbers, possibly without anything to add to the discussion. We've all been pretty good and tolerant so far and there's no reason to change now. Such a structure would also turn the OTC into another forum like so many others where you get cute names or titles based solely on your number of posts.

When there's nothing left to be said, don't say it! :shock:
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

__----BlindPost of all blindposts----___

Last nip I coma'd on Megan's "Can the sea cover mountains?" question, on NP 1146. (Ok, that might be a paraphrase.)
Just got back from worka and grocery-getting; jump onto The Site; and Cueball and Megan are running out?
Oh my Randall, have I got some ketchuping to do. Be live in a bit and a while. (No, you don't have to wait up for meb.)

Somebody complained last nip that the OTC was going to get boring?

a That other four letter word.
b But you really should keep Waiting For It.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

edo wrote:2) I shall conviene a consistory. those present are cardinals. Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread? Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. It's a new era.

Above all that would lose us the ability to detect firstposts...
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

You know how when you are reading a novel, and you're a slow reader (like me), so the novel lasts for days and days where you only spend maybe an hour a day with it so you can get the rest of your life done too, and then you hit a point where you just ... can't ... put it down?

That's where we are now.

Problem is, in spite of the new alt-text, it looks like he is still going to only give us a frame per hour.

DAMMIT! I want to put my life on hold and devour the rest of the story in one gulp! AND I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And I'm not even from the "instant gratification" generation.) (Which is any generation which is younger than that of the speaker.) (Which, for this speaker, is most of them.)

ETA:
edo wrote:... Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread?

As this is my first opportunity to be Page Pope, and as a low-rate contributor, I decree that popitude criteria NOT change.

I further decree that ... what? What do you mean only one decree per page pope? I was going to decree that I get infinity more decrees! NO FAIR!

I'M GONNA TELL BLITZ GIRL!!!
Last edited by sford on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:__----BlindPost of all blindposts----___

<SNIP>

Actually, we're RUNning now.
Voice of the Silent

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:And what the chirp is this about:

As far as I can tell, it's a simple effect of applying a glow to the stained glass panels. The "eyes" seem the only places where the black lines are distant and thin enough to allow for the glow to concentrate in an area.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:b But you really should keep Waiting For It.

Negative. New orders.
Go Minim go!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

maletero wrote:
lgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

As I recall, he was actually instructed to bring more (seven?) of the "clean" animals. So maybe they munched on some of those.

According to the Bible, God didn't give man the animals to eat until after the flood. The Ark was supplied with enough plant food matter to feed all the animals as well as all the people. I don't believe the Bible addresses what the carnivores among the animals were eating.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Overly Optimistic Prediction: The next frame will be dark, or white, or otherwise indicate a change of scene.

Ximenez wrote:We need to take note of the alt-text(s)m:

M1-M2919: Wait for it.
M2920: ...
M2921: RUN.

m Until mscha starts doing it, that is.

Ximenez has the right idea. Whenever the alt-text changes, someone should post an updated list, with ALT TEXT HISTORY as a header (so we can search for it). For consistency, let's stick with mscha's numbers.

Rule110 wrote:We've apparently reached this stage:

When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept.
When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled.
When I became a full-grown man, time RAN.
When older still I daily grew, time FLEW.
Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone.
O Christ! wilt Thou have saved me then? Amen.

This is one of the reasons I object to splitting the One True Thread into many threads. Were we split, where would this lovely, haunting poem have appeared? Would I have missed it?

KeonSkyfire wrote:
edo wrote:NOWONG
Spoiler:
Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:

Wait how does that work? I thought I beat you. No offence. :D

As far as I can tell, if two posts have the same time to the second, the order in which they appear on the page is arbitrary, and can even change over time. Someone else suggested they are alphabetical, but my own tests indicate otherwise.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:According to the Bible, God didn't give man the animals to eat until after the flood. The Ark was supplied with enough plant food matter to feed all the animals as well as all the people. I don't believe the Bible addresses what the carnivores among the animals were eating.

... Nor how much dung the hippos and elephants produced. On the other hand, it may've been for the better...

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:(Perhaps they are in fact a lumber camp? The fact that Megan finds trees "neat" doesn't mean she's never seen one at all. Or they could be nomadic scavengers, salvaging the numerous shipwrecks on the Med floor; the planks could even be some sort of artificial material salvaged from the dark past.

Shipwrecks! they should be all over the place! they had to know there was a larger sea, no? It could explain a lot. Nomadic people would find lots of stuff in the salt.

To alleviate concerns about missing firstposts, announcing the pagePope could still be the job of the first one on the page. Any more PagePope change Ideas?no longer pope, so I guess nothing changes.
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:<snip> (If I was feeling mean, I'm sure there's a TVtropes link for this. But that's the last thing we need right now. Also I'd have to open the site myself to find it, and I don't dare...)

Clearly, they are trying to avoid the Despair Event Horizon with their efforts to Screw Destiny. <snip>

Well, there was also that -- I was pretty sure that if I just posted like this, someone would dig out the links for me. :wink: The OTT is like having your own personal research department. Although, one that consumes ruinous quantities of ketchup lately.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:BTW, what DID Noah eat during the forty days and forty nights? He had plenty of possibilities, but likely they were ruled out by his instructions.

Don't you think unicorns look reeeally tasty?

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Well, I'm off the internet till sunday, and just when the action seems to be boiling up too. Hopefully this thing ain't over by the time I get back :D

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:According to the Bible, God didn't give man the animals to eat until after the flood. The Ark was supplied with enough plant food matter to feed all the animals as well as all the people. I don't believe the Bible addresses what the carnivores among the animals were eating.

Gary Larson wrote:"Well that's it for the unicorns, from now on all the carnivores are confined to C Deck",
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:The best computer game is a compiler.

Aaand, he's back%!
--
% on my signature, that is :-)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

One thing that occurs to me:

Their sea will rise at whatever rate until it hits the height where it begins spilling over into the next basin, which will then fill until it begins spilling over into the next basin, and so forth; until it needs to rise further to spill over into the next basin, at which point the level of Cuegan's sea will pause again while that basin fills, and so on.

In other words, there will be a stutter in the rise in sea level. It may rush up a bit... and then stop for a while, and then rush up more... and then stop for a while, etc.

Can anyone with a better eye on Mediterranean and more time figure out where those pause-points would be? It looks at first glance like there might be one as the water crests the trough just south of Algeria, but I can't tell if that just continues uphill into Tyrrhenian basin or not; if not, then it would have to rise to the level of Edagi Valley just west of Sicily, where it would pause until it filled all of the eastern Mediterranian, but at that point it seems like it would have already filled most of the western Mediterranian, leaving only the continental shelf above some steep mountainous coasts exposed.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

maletero

Postby maletero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Regarding the change in alt-text. A thought struck me that maybe Randall has lost control of the OTC, and how he is, like us, watching the story unfold. He does still have access to the alt-text. His changing it to "RUN." is just his way of trying to communicate with Cuegan about what they should do. Maybe if he intervenes further, some of the forty can be saved. . .

Okay, probably not. but I think I'm going to entertain the scenario for a while.

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I WILL GETT THIS ONG I MUST GET THIS ONG.

EDIT: I got this ong!
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Running like death is right behind ONG
Spoiler:

Edit not surprised to be ninja'd. (Did the alt-text change last frame or was it before then. I guess I'll find out when I get back to here. Back to NP1146. OH, the humanity.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

alt-text is still "RUN."

Edit to Add: Is Megan carrying her bag while the Cue Man put his on his back?
Last edited by TimeLurker on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent

Ximenez

Alt-text

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

M1-M2919: Wait for it.
M2920: ...
M2921-M2923: RUN.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Aw, seems we're in for a few frames of running back through the empty fortress
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Erm, hello people. Remember me?

Anyway, yeah, long hiatus and stuff.

As to comic: all I can say is whoa. This is freaking awesome. Does anyone see a bit of a biblical/zoroastrian parallel, with the floods?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:alt-text is still "RUN."

Edit to Add: Is Megan carrying her bag while the Cue Man put his on his back?

Megan's pack is in front while she stuffs the map into it.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Aw, seems we're in for a few frames of running back through the empty fortress

Awwwww, I was hoping they'd push a pair of Beanies to the ground out of their way.

ETA: Well done Fictioneer. I see it now.
Voice of the Silent

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Montov wrote:My pre-coma prediction: A few decapix of Cuegan running until they reach the sea with the baobabs halfway under water.
Then Megan will whisper "no". ;(
Oh shit... I can see this happening and it's already so heart breaking.
The next frame will be La Petite on a raft with three masts, an eye patch, and 38 others on board. She'll say:

"Aaaarrrrrrhhh! 'op on, ye maties! We're headin' for Fantasy Island"

Eutychus wrote:I'm also wondering how old Megan and Cueball are. As this unfolds I'm unconsciously ascribing a younger and younger age to them.
I think they are adult, but innocent. Children would not be able to go on a hundred mile hike by themselves on a whim.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Montov wrote:My pre-coma prediction: A few decapix of Cuegan running until they reach the sea with the baobabs halfway under water.
Then Megan will whisper "no". ;(
Oh shit... I can see this happening and it's already so heart breaking.
The next frame will be La Petite on a raft with three masts, an eye patch, and 38 others on board. She'll say:

"Aaaarrrrrrhhh! 'op on, ye maties! We're headin' for Fantasy Island"

With LaPetite voiced by jovialbard, obviously :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

It's not only Megan's injured leg.

They won't be able to run much because of high altitude (for them)!
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:__----BlindPost of all blindposts----___
... (No, you don't have to wait up for meb.)
Oh, I can't bear to break it to him.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Awwwww, I was hoping they'd push a pair of Beanies to the ground out of their way.

I half expect them to run into the original beanie bunch who will then join them...
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”