1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Charm Quark

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Charm Quark » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am UTC

My ketchup is expanding in a seaish manner so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are we still Timewaiters? Or have we become Timerunners in light of the new commandment?

ETA: Oooh, 4! Yappo gets to use some of the dystopian music he made in the film now!
Last edited by Charm Quark on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:03 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:HurryONG.

Spoiler:

The popup text is still RUN. I also note that the javascript is forcing full page reloads, not just a frame refresh, as we surmised.

The TdF update is coming in a bit, but dam' it's been hard to step away from here to do it.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:My ketchup is expanding in a seaish manner so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are we still Timewaiters? Or have we become Timerunners in light of the new commandment?

ETA: Oooh, 4! Yappo gets to use some of the dystopian music he made in the film now!

I have a feeling we are still instructed to Wait For It. I believe our Great Lord Randall has deemed us loyal enough followers that he no longer feels the need to command us to do so, because we will continue to do so anyway ;)

And maybe, but that would be lazy of me :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:My ketchup is expanding in a seaish manner so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are we still Timewaiters? Or have we become Timerunners in light of the new commandment?

I have a feeling we are still instructed to Wait For It. I believe our Great Lord Randall has deemed us loyal enough followers that he no longer feels the need to command us to do so, because we will continue to do so anyway ;)

That's a relief; I don't particularly like running.
Lost forever in time...

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:08 am UTC

mscha wrote:⁴, yappo! Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)

Hebrew is probably a special case, given the central importance of the Torah and its study. I think that would tend to keep the language more or less stable, since most males (at least) study it for at least a while and there are many scholars. It is meticulously copied out, though errors are known to occur.

Also, I believe (but haven't checked the wikis) that Hebrew was essentially a dead language for a couple of millennia, and only when Israel was founded, it was actively used again.

Correct. Hebrew died out as a spoken language around 200 CE, except for its use as a liturgical language. In the intervening centuries, there had been a couple short-lived efforts to revive it as a literary language. But it didn't really return to functional use until Eliezer Ben-Yehuda successfully brought it back into life as a spoken tongue as part of the Zionist movement. Even with that in mind, there are quite a few ways that Modern Hebrew differs from circa 5th century BCE Biblical Hebrew (even though the former was directly based on the latter), and even more differences between Modern Hebrew and anything that took place between the two, such as the later forms of Classical Hebrew (mostly Mishnaic Hebrew) and any of the medieval revival attempts.

EDIT: Even still, Hebrew dates back no earlier than the 10th century BCE. Our 10,000 year jump includes over 5,000 years more time than this.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here
To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

Results:
==========
C1: 4 ZoomanSP,Fictioneer,lmjb1964,ucim
C2:
C3:
C4:
C5: 10 Eliram,NoMouse,yappobiscuits,ZoomanSP,edfel,Fictioneer,wizpretz,edo,ucim,Ebonite
C6: 9 NoMouse,adnapemit,HereBeUnmappedBits,ZBerg,Zorin_75,Moose Anus,lmjb1964,ucim,Charm Quark
C7:
C8:

M1: 1 ZBerg
M2: 9 Eliram,HereBeUnmappedBits,ZoomanSP,edfel,Moose Anus,Fictioneer,wizpretz,lmjb1964,Ebonite
M3: 10 Eliram,NoMouse,adnapemit,yappobiscuits,Zorin_75,Fictioneer,edo,lmjb1964,vvn,Charm Quark
M4:

cueball.mp3

Megan.mp3

Missed one voice audition so here is C8 which you can vote for as well:
C8.mp3

If I've missed your voice or want to add your audition as well let me know!

Ok many people have voted already which is great. Above are the results with a basic tie between C5/C6 and M2/M3. Some may like to hear more from C1 as well.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Arky wrote:Wow, I always thought the alt-text would change only at the very end.

OK, so we've had the Council of Elrond. I guess that now we've finally had the End of Act 1, and now commences Act 2.

Oh, and the idea that the tiny bit of castle crumbling was an earthquake opening the gate is preposterous. The sea must have been rising, and the Beanies doing their surveys and reaching conclusions about the shoreline, for much longer than the time it took Cueball and Megan to build a sandcastle and walk a few hundred kilometres.

Could it have been the Beanies attempt to stop the flow? (Or the failure of said attempt.) Or, not the earthquake, but an earthquake, one small tremor out of many.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Arky wrote:Oh, and the idea that the tiny bit of castle crumbling was an earthquake opening the gate is preposterous. The sea must have been rising, and the Beanies doing their surveys and reaching conclusions about the shoreline, for much longer than the time it took Cueball and Megan to build a sandcastle and walk a few hundred kilometres.

I wasn't suggesting a completely accurate and historical timeline. I was considering the story line and whether GLR has connected the different parts of the story together with hints. I think it is becoming clear that he has. WRT the specifics of the quake, it has been mentioned here that the weight of the water flowing in to the geologically unstable basin will have effects, even at a long distance. I don't think the mini quake is definitive, but it is evidence, and not "preposterous" as you suggest. It just all fits together too well as an elaborate and extended what-if.
-- Charlie Grumbles

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 am UTC

1142 routine msg dm, 0, 0

mscha wrote:MappONG...
Spoiler:

KeonSkyfire wrote:
Gedeon wrote:
KeonSkyfire wrote:So, do we know where we are? Also, Rosetta seems to have just spoken out an image, which is quite a feat...

:mrgreen: That was not a real ONG.

Shh, I figured it out. Just 40 seconds too late.

It took me much more than that. A whole page, I think.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:16 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:1139 flash msg dm, 320976 (ucim), 800
Spoiler:
ende.
Awesome! Thanks! Nothing like Space Cake for a Space Case!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Stage 19
Again the break stays away and again Froome stays in Yellow with nobody important getting closer to him, though he finished 8'40" back in a large group. The other jerseys are unchanged. The winner for the day is Rui Costa of Movistar, from Portugal, 48 seconds ahead of second place. 17 riders had lesser time than Froome. Costa went ahead with less than 20k to race and the leader for most of the day, Pierre Rolland (who was seeking Polka Dots) finished in 16th at 6'41", missing the polka dot jersey by one point. Froome still holds that as well.

The day:
Spoiler:
As is fairly typical the attacks came as soon as the flag dropped to start the race. There were over 40 riders ahead of the yellow jersey's peleton. This varied as time went on of course. But ahead of most of the break for a long while were Pierre Rolland (see above) and Ryder Hesjedal of Canada. The led the race for most of the day. Hesjedal led over the first climb and was 11 minutes ahead of Froome, but no threat. Rolland took the second climb, but Ryder let him go as a courtesy since he was after a jersey. They are not on the same team. This too, is pretty common. On the start of the third climb Rolland went ahead of Hesjedal who now begins to lose time and eventually finishes 31 minutes back. This was about 140km into the 204.5 race.

Behind this action, Froome had his team around him and they are finally acting like a support team. A bit later, on the last climb, Contador and his teammates attacked Froome, but they were reeled in and finished together.

Back at the front, Costa catches Rolland on the final climb and leaves him behind, over the top and on to the finish. Rolland gets the fighting spirit award, but no polka dots and no stage win. He does manage to finish a couple of minutes ahead of the yellow jersey.

Bit more on the race and the day:
Spoiler:
Lots of crashes today. 170 riders finished, so five abandoned or crashed out on descent. Jack Bauer (yes, really) crashed on the first descent. He is a New Zealander. Tom Veelers who has been the Lantern Rouge abandoned. Marcel Sieberg crashed on the second descent. Christophe Le Mevel abandoned in the feed zone. I don't details about the fifth, Kris BOECKMANS. Tuft also crashed heavily but rode on.

The last rider in was at 35'24". Only two racers did the course in under 6 hours. Very tough.

Tomorrow is the last day of real racing, with the promenade into Paris on Sunday. There are six climbs and a finish on a hors cat Annecy Semnoz at 1655 meters tall. The yellow jersey will be decided then. There are sprint points on Sunday, but the one in Yellow at the end of tomorrow wins GC as long as he finishes the race. Action begins at about 1345 continental time.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 am UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

And I, at long last, am regretfully abandoning my treasured Loopism. The plot has gotten too thick, the dialogue too intricate, the alterations in the environment too dramatic. Time may end, Time may repeat, but for Time to loop would require one of those "Hey, let me tell you the dream I just had!" endings, and I don't think Randall would stoop to that. So ─ Loopist no more. Sad molpy.
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:The only thin hope they have of seeing the other Cugen's again is if they were smart enough to see the danger and pack up and follow where Cugen went. That way they would not be that far back and part way back down they will meet up. If they were smart and went ANY other way then they will be 100's or even a 1000 km away when they get back to land. They could end up in Spain for example while Cugen is stuck in France. How would they find each other again? Lets hope GLR has worked out something for us!

That set me to wondering: If the Forty did take to rafts, where would they wind up? Like I said before, I think the main force of the inflow will break against Sardinia; some of it will run into the Tyrrhenian Sea, and some of it will turn north to flood Megball's home. But from there, where will it go?

It seems likely that a current will run west and south along the (restored) French coast. I can imagine that a large counterclockwise eddy current will form over "their" sea, over this Balearic Abyssal Plain, southeast of the French coast. If the rafts get caught in this, they could swirl around helplessly for weeks. If they're luckier, however, they could get swept southward to the Balearics themselves, most probably Majorca or Minorca, which hopefully are still inhabited and which presumably will stay above water.

[Neil_Boekend]Far more likely, of course, is that they'll get swept through the channel into the Tyrrhenian sea and fetch up against the coast of Italy just as keithl's threatened seismic activity triggers a massive eruption of Vesuvius, wiping them out completely. The ash cloud will drift west over Megball, searching the seas in a styrofoam boat they've built from scraps. Acid rain will melt their boat, and our heroes will drown, their bodies sinking down to snag in a tangle of scaffolding where their original castle stood. Thus ends time.[/Neil_Boekend]

Redundant spoiler is redundant:
Spoiler:
sadmolpysad.jpg
sadmolpysad.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 10052 times
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And I, at long last, am regretfully abandoning my treasured Loopism. The plot has gotten too thick, the dialogue too intricate, the alterations in the environment too dramatic. Time may end, Time may repeat, but for Time to loop would require one of those "Hey, let me tell you the dream I just had!" endings, and I don't think Randall would stoop to that. So ─ Loopist no more. :cry:

That is truly a shame. While I never was a loopist, your sig - "loopist by choice and belief" - was one of my favorite ones.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

The alt-text (as I learned from mscha) still is "Time", so we're still TimeWaiters.
The new commandment is "RUN", so we're also Runners. But which kind of Runners?
Since Cuegan currently run in Southern France, I suggest we're ThymeRunners.
When we make a prediction that turns out wrong, that will be a RunThyme error.

I think I badly need to coma. Keep on Running!

ETA: PFANP! Image Decree: While Cuegan run, take your Time, don't post too much for the sake of our blitzers, and contemplate about the great hall Cuegan are running along at the moment. What might the Beanies use it for? What kind of murals or other decorations may it feature?
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:30 am UTC

tavella wrote:
Ximenez wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:It looks like if they run straight south they'll cut a quarter to a third off their distance...

But they must avoid rivers (difficult to cross) and the lowest altitudes (because of the flood).
Somebody willing to bet for the safest path?

Why yes, yes I am.
Spoiler:

This is probably the best way to see what is going on. The sea that Megball know is the blue-green layer that is mostly whited out, but you can see part of it going north along Corsica and west toward Majorca. The Megball tribe live about midway along that western extension, about where I put the blue star. Megball walked east along the shore and then turned up the river to eventually reach the Chateau d'Beanie, which I've marked with the black line. What the tribe wants to do is go straight through the hills (that rough texture you can see above the blue star) and up that ridge, following the red line. If they got enough warning, they would be able to walk it -- once you are into the yellow, the land rises steeply enough that it should be easy to keep ahead of the water. And while the peach patch will eventually fill into a bay, it has to fill the entire rest of the Med first, so they'd have plenty of time to stroll across to the Chateau.

The problem is that by the time Megan and Cueball get back, their people will likely be stranded on one of the taller hills rather than the ridge itself, and while they presumably can build rafts, they won't know which way to go to be safe.

Wow. Neat theory and explanation. I wonder If Cuegan will stop for a minute so Rosetta can tell them this, or other Beanie draws this to them.

== Abount being a Waiter (and Runner) today ==

Yep, difficult to keep up with the tide; not only in the OTC, but here in the OTT as well. I didn't work at all today; I spent most of the day Waiting (and then Running) for It. (Or should it be Waiting for It and then Running?)

And yep, there were many repetitive posts today, as it was said. But I find it normal, even healthy, in such a rush of news and excitement. We are only humans, and people couldn't Wait enough to read and absorb everything before being overwhelmed by the urge to post. I'm pretty sure that the coming hundreds of RUN newpix will slow things down.

ETA:
ZoomanSP wrote:Since Cuegan currently run in Southern France, I suggest we're ThymeRunners.
When we make a prediction that turns out wrong, that will be a RunThyme error.

Oh, you made me laugh real loud with that. :lol:
Last edited by Ximenez on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Okies, Voice Samplers!

This is the next step in identifying voices with the best match for the OTVO (One True Voice-Over). If you're not interested in submitting a voice sample, then you can skip this entirely!

Spoiler:
The following have received the most "votes": C1, C5, and C6 for Cueball. M2 and M3 for Megan. So we definitely want to receive new samples from these individuals. But anybody else can submit a sample if they didn't get a chance earlier, or if they are unsatisfied with their previous sample.

1. Below is your script. Only read your own part. Latent22 would like readers to pause and read to yourself silently the part of the other person, leaving an appropriate amount of silence for that part, which will make it easier for him to merge together different pairs of voices.

2. Please state the TITLE of each section before you begin your sample.

3. Record and submit your voice sample to either myself or Latent22 via PM, or you can email it to OTVOproject@gmail.com and drop either myself or Latent22 a PM letting us know you have submitted your sample by email.

Suggestions:
Follow the frame number link to review the context of the dialogue.
To assist with conveying emotion etc, you can engage in natural facial expressions and head and hand gestures as you speak.

And remember: We are each offering our voices to the forum and taking in suggestions to try to create a sound that fulfills the need. It's not a matter of whose voice is better, but whose vocal instrument has the sought-after sound.

-----------------------------
TITLE: "REALIZATION"
They've finished building their sandcastle, including the scaffolding. They are starting to realize that their castle might not survive this sea-rising phenomenon.

832.1 Megan: I don't think it's going to stop.

833.1 Cueball: The sea just can't make more of itself forever.

833.2 Megan: It can do whatever it wants. It's the sea.

834.1 Cueball: There must be a reason. There's a reason for everything.

834.2 Megan: Yeah.

835.1 Megan: But it's not always a good reason.

838.1 Cueball: There must be other rivers. Maybe something is wrong with them.

TITLE: "LEAVING"
Atop the scaffolding, realizing they must leave soon.
--------------------------
855.1 Megan: I like our castle.

856.1 Cueball: I think it's going to go away.

857.1 Megan: Yeah.

859.1 Megan: Do you think there are other rivers?

859.2 Cueball: Something is adding water to the sea.

860.1 Megan: Does it have to be water? Maybe something is adding more land somewhere. And it's making the sea overflow.

861.1 Cueball: Or maybe it's just raining somewhere. We have no idea what's out there.

862.1 Megan: Yeah.

864.1 Megan: Want to find out?

864.2 Cueball: Yes.

865.1 Megan: I'll get some bags.

TITLE: "SOLO PART"
They have been following the river that ends up having a delta. Cueball just awoke from his dream. (It's after they have lost the dilgunnerang and after the "sorry" arm grab at the river.)

1142.1 Cueball: When our river gets too big, it fills with stuff. Wood and leaves and things from people in the hills.

1143.1 Cueball: This river doesn't look like that.

Megan meets a Squirpy. She tries to interact.

1617.1 Megan: Hi!

1622.1 Megan: It's ok! I won't eat you.

1625.1 Megan: Want some food?

Edit: to fix quote error
Edit2: line 1143.1 was transcribed incorrectly on the Wikia (fixed here, someone else seems to have fixed the Wikia)
Last edited by buffygirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

DavidSpencer

Postby DavidSpencer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 am UTC

I'm disinclined to think that the OTC is made up on the fly. Others have mentioned foreshadowing (which I agree with) but I also couldn't see putting that kind of time pressure on oneself. With 24 new frames coming out per day, he would have to do a huge amount of work to keep up even if he was two months ahead at the start of it.

In addition to all the drawing, he animates a starfield, develops a language, and produces those contorted, smeared, barely-legible sentences. Considering that he has to put out three other comics and a what-if per week in addition to any pressures he may face in his personal life, I can't see any compelling reason not to finish the sequence before starting release. That way he can take his time on it, plan, and not have to worry about unforeseen personal circumstances (because who wants to release an unfinished product on a widely-read webcomic?).

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 am UTC

BrianX wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Ah. I didn't factor in a time jump, yeah. Is 10000 years a random figure, or did we decide on that somehow?

Some astronomy geeks figured that out.

Hmm. I agree with the guy above you that mentioned Catalan influences, but the fact that the writing system is almost completely alien (though, if it's roughly phonetic, it could have ties to Arabic) suggests that it's not a conglomeration/evolution of current (our-time) present languages. I would argue that it's a language that somehow completely evolved out of the dust, where its aural component could be related to existing languages but its written component is either entirely new or has changed extremely significantly.

Welllll... that would have been the ancestral language. Thousands of years later, those influences would be almost impossible to track without a lot of guesswork.

True. Hmm. It's a pity we don't have much figures on how much a language can develop, but assuming Cueball and Megan are speaking Modern Standard English, at least that language must've stuck around. Thing is, though, there also could've been mass migrations in that time period, so Cueball and Megan and the tribe could be a totally different race than we would expect from people who today dwell in that area. And thus they could've carried the remnants of their language. So basically this could be Future Japanese for all we know.

ttscp wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Ah. I didn't factor in a time jump, yeah. Is 10000 years a random figure, or did we decide on that somehow?

There was the long night, during which the astronomy otters were able to fix the date and longitude fairly accurately. You should go back and look at the comic during that period, it was beautiful.
Anyway the consensus was approximately 13291 CE and around 40 degrees north latitude. This was before we had a map that we could match to the mediterranean.

I was following the comic the whole time, yeah. It really was beautiful, I remember when it first appeared I opened it and was like "Whoa."

Does 40 degrees N match to the Mediterranean? I'm not a geog person.

Edit: also, astronomy otters?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:Does 40 degrees N match to the Mediterranean? I'm not a geog person.

long night was roughly 42N, 6E.
Roughly... anyone want to do it in degrees, minutes, seconds?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:As the water flows, it widens the breach.
The berm is giving way.
The sea w(ill) rush through in a g(reat torren)t.
The planet's mightiest river will once again
come thundering down the mountainside.
The sea will fill
not in years
but in days.

But that's in days after the berm "gives way"... the dramatic question, which they can't possibly know the answer to, is how many days until that happens?

really sounds like whatever closed the straits of Gibraltar was a rubble dam rather than solid rock/construction...because something solid erodes slowly from the top, while rubble will become porous and undermine and then fail catastrophically.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:
ttscp wrote:

There was the long night, during which the astronomy otters were able to fix the date and longitude fairly accurately. You should go back and look at the comic during that period, it was beautiful.
Anyway the consensus was approximately 13291 CE and around 40 degrees north latitude. This was before we had a map that we could match to the mediterranean.
I was following the comic the whole time, yeah. It really was beautiful, I remember when it first appeared I opened it and was like "Whoa."

Does 40 degrees N match to the Mediterranean? I'm not a geog person.

Yeppers. Megball's home territory looks to have been about 42° north.

ETA: And otters comes from OTTers comes from One True Thread.
ETA2: "ETA".
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am UTC

DavidSpencer wrote:I'm disinclined to think that the OTC is made up on the fly. Others have mentioned foreshadowing (which I agree with) but I also couldn't see putting that kind of time pressure on oneself. With 24 new frames coming out per day, he would have to do a huge amount of work to keep up even if he was two months ahead at the start of it.

In addition to all the drawing, he animates a starfield, develops a language, and produces those contorted, smeared, barely-legible sentences. Considering that he has to put out three other comics and a what-if per week in addition to any pressures he may face in his personal life, I can't see any compelling reason not to finish the sequence before starting release. That way he can take his time on it, plan, and not have to worry about unforeseen personal circumstances (because who wants to release an unfinished product on a widely-read webcomic?).

But if He's got it all prepared, then why do we sometimes get late ONGs, duplicate frames, mustard that is fixed within a few newpix, etc.?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:Edit: also, astronomy otters?

OTTers. Posters in the OTT.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 am UTC

1148 routine msg dm, 209316, 0
ugmhemhe wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
SinusPi wrote:ExplainONG...
Spoiler:

Your sea does not stand alone....

In short, a dam (natural or manmade) burst somewhere, and your sea is flooding.

Your sea does not stand alone
There is another sea ??(north)??
???? beyond the shore
it has become fused/glued to yours
?????? levels differ
and thus over flows

well, this is how it appears to me

How could I ever forget that sig.
Welcome back.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:55 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

And I, at long last, am regretfully abandoning my treasured Loopism. The plot has gotten too thick, the dialogue too intricate, the alterations in the environment too dramatic. Time may end, Time may repeat, but for Time to loop would require one of those "Hey, let me tell you the dream I just had!" endings, and I don't think Randall would stoop to that. So ─ Loopist no more. Sad molpy.

Well It could still loop. Just needs to go for another 6 million years or so and it may get blocked off again and then burst. Now given the difference in time between inside and outside that only means we have to wait maybe 30-40 million years. Lets hope GLR can keep it going that long!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Blindpost from NP 1157... New alt-texts, running, and whatnot... OMR, I need to ketchup faster, something huge seems to be happening (not just because of all the answers we got and the alt-text change, but THIS many newpages??? why???)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 am UTC

mscha wrote:But if He's got it all prepared, then why do we sometimes get late ONGs, duplicate frames, mustard that is fixed within a few newpix, etc.?

I'm not as perfectionist as GLR (or at least I don't think so), but I have posted many a pre-written item on my web site, only to find there was stuff I needed/wanted to correct.

Not that I think Randall had/has it all written out, but I do think he had at least a general plan and some of the major (plot) points worked out. The language, the location, the time and maybe even a general idea of where he was going with it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Keep runnONG, Cuegan, keep runnONG!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:01 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
DavidSpencer wrote:I'm disinclined to think that the OTC is made up on the fly. Others have mentioned foreshadowing (which I agree with) but I also couldn't see putting that kind of time pressure on oneself. With 24 new frames coming out per day, he would have to do a huge amount of work to keep up even if he was two months ahead at the start of it.

But if He's got it all prepared, then why do we sometimes get late ONGs, duplicate frames, mustard that is fixed within a few newpix, etc.?

I'm hoping (not expecting, just hoping) that Randall himself will answer that question some day after the end of Time, with one of his rare blag posts. Remember how he went on at length about the results of his color survey? I'm hoping that the response in the OTT will (eventually) inspire another such spate of communication.

For now: Late ONGs could be server glitches; they've happened at pretty much any hour of the day or night. Duplicate frames and mustard could be [heresy]simple error.[/heresy] I'm a draftsman, and I've had experience with trying to create CAD drawings of thirty or so nearly identical parts, using one as a template for the other twenty-nine, and I know how easy it is to lose track and name part RL931's drawing "RL932", or confuse the lengths of RL935 and RL953. Time is approaching 3000 individual images, with no end in sight; minor errors are chirping near unavoidable, even if he has a crew proofreading (proofwaiting?) for him. And the mustard fixes, to me, are the most conclusive evidence that Randall has a spy friend watching the OTT.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:01 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Ah. It's not the same to say that he had it all drawn and scheduled before it started. But storyboarded overall with some parts fleshed out more than others. Some parts are probably generated algorithmically also, at least the backgrounds.

ETA he may have even modified parts in response to the OTT
-- Charlie Grumbles

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:04 am UTC

The darker rectangles in this stairway look like doors. Will someone come through them to assist/impede Cuegan? - or are they merely decorative?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:04 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
mscha wrote:

Ah. It's not the same to say that he had it all drawn and scheduled before it started. But storyboarded overall with some parts fleshed out more than others. Some parts are probably generated algorithmically also, at least the backgrounds.

ETA he may have even modified parts in response to the OTT

He's got to be lurking here
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:09 am UTC

So now it's a race against Time. Which is how I feel with each ketchup, especially the past two dips. And I imagine it's how our blitzers see it as well.

Run, or the OTT will out-pace you!
Hi! Probably.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 am UTC

fhorn wrote:The darker rectangles in this stairway look like doors. Will someone come through them to assist/impede Cuegan? - or are they merely decorative?

The darker rectangles are shadows. Take a look at the Beanies' faces in M2843:

jjjdavidson wrote:And the mustard fixes, to me, are the most conclusive evidence that Randall has a spy friend watching the OTT.

Don't forget the two accounts that were created in the forum for the sole purpose of giving us the hashes of two meteor frames we had missed.
Last edited by Ximenez on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:13 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:[snippety snippety]He may have even modified parts in response to the OTT

As far back as May I found myself imagining Randall sitting at a worktable, reading OTT comments where somebody proposed an ending for Time and other people replied, "Randall would never do something that lame!"

──and Randall exclaiming, "Well, chirpΦ me!" and disgustedly deleting a couple of hundred newpix off his computer.

Φ Well, in May I wasn't predicting "Chirp me!" But the sentiment condiment flavor was the same.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Edit: also, astronomy otters?

OTTers. Posters in the OTT.

Oh, duh. It wasn't capitalized before, so that threw me off. Also, I liked the image of otters popping up and suddenly analyzing everything.

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm hoping (not expecting, just hoping) that Randall himself will answer that question some day after the end of Time, with one of his rare blag posts. Remember how he went on at length about the results of his color survey? I'm hoping that the response in the OTT will (eventually) inspire another such spate of communication.

I really, really hope so. I've always enjoyed Randall's blag posts, and I'm sad he doesn't do them often anymore.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 am UTC

Now that the maps have been revealed...

Can anybody show what that triangulation map was of??? and where???

And what is that black rectangle they were focused on?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

tavella

Postby tavella » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:Wow. Neat theory and explanation. I wonder If Cuegan will stop for a minute so Rosetta can tell them this, or other Beanie draws this to them.

You can see part of the territory even better here:

As you can see, some of the hills are quite tall, in fact a couple in the wider unshown area have tops that go up into the aquamarine level. So they'll look tall enough, and then when they realize they aren't, the tribe will be separated by miles of open sea from the path to true safety.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:15 am UTC

DavidSpencer (along with others chiming in) wrote:I'm disinclined to think that the OTC is made up on the fly.

Plus, we've got the Edfel map, which was pieced together as we went along from what information otters were able to glean from the OTC. And it happens to fit nicely with the western Mediterranean basin. I don't see that working out as an accident.
Hi! Probably.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
BrianX wrote:

Some astronomy geeks figured that out.

Hmm. I agree with the guy above you that mentioned Catalan influences, but the fact that the writing system is almost completely alien (though, if it's roughly phonetic, it could have ties to Arabic) suggests that it's not a conglomeration/evolution of current (our-time) present languages. I would argue that it's a language that somehow completely evolved out of the dust, where its aural component could be related to existing languages but its written component is either entirely new or has changed extremely significantly.

Welllll... that would have been the ancestral language. Thousands of years later, those influences would be almost impossible to track without a lot of guesswork.

True. Hmm. It's a pity we don't have much figures on how much a language can develop, but assuming Cueball and Megan are speaking Modern Standard English, at least that language must've stuck around. Thing is, though, there also could've been mass migrations in that time period, so Cueball and Megan and the tribe could be a totally different race than we would expect from people who today dwell in that area. And thus they could've carried the remnants of their language. So basically this could be Future Japanese for all we know.

The general consensus on the thread is that it's "English" only because they're the characters we've been following; they are our point of view. What they're actually speaking probably bears about as much similarity to English as Beanish does to, oh, say, Arabic.

Of course, we could be wrong. But I'll only believe that if they start quoting Shakespeare.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”